(Topic ID: 296256)

Spooky HALLOWEEN hype thread. Babysitters welcome.

By coasterguy

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,090 posts
  • 430 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 days ago by Gunner007
  • Topic is favorited by 111 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

utramanpinplastic (resized).png
IMG_0421 (resized).JPG
IMG_0425 (resized).JPG
IMG_0426 (resized).JPG
IMG_0417 (resized).JPG
20220928_203503 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220512_182215 (resized).jpg
true level (resized).png
20220215_183140 (resized).jpg
20220214_203712 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220215_010617367 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220207_174230157 (resized).jpg
C6475CC4-E878-472F-9A3B-DDF806FA4F44 (resized).jpeg
C91EC225-85D7-42B7-A84A-019E59ABF9CF (resized).jpeg
IMG_20220209_222110.jpg
IMG_20220209_222153.jpg
There are 4,090 posts in this topic. You are on page 82 of 82.
#4051 2 years ago

Thought I had just beaten the clock last night in house mode, but it timed out while it was going across the balcony and sat on the magnet drop until ball search kicked in.

#4052 2 years ago

I think they mentioned adding a grace period on their last stream. That would be great. Grace periods are a great thing in pinball!

#4053 2 years ago
Quoted from rdonohue13:

Anybody know what numbers we are on?

345 was the last one I saw posted

#4054 2 years ago
Quoted from rdonohue13:

Anybody know what numbers we are on?

If it helps, I just got the email this past weekend for my butter option on #414. Not sure when it will hit the line but got to the option choice stage at least with Joe at PinballSTAR.

2 weeks later
#4055 2 years ago

#480 just got my butter cabinet option email last thursday(17th?)

#4056 2 years ago

Got to play Halloween a bunch at TPF. Have to agree with those that say the layout is great - it is. So different, and the ramps really flow well. Some of the shots are TOUGH! Played Ultraman a bunch which was also awesome. I think I liked it a tiny bit more than Halloween

#4057 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Got to play Halloween a bunch at TPF. Have to agree with those that say the layout is great - it is. So different, and the ramps really flow well. Some of the shots are TOUGH! Played Ultraman a bunch which was also awesome. I think I liked it a tiny bit more than Halloween

I think Halloween, in a home environment, is where it will really shine. Mood and lighting will play a big role in the overall experience.

2 weeks later
#4058 2 years ago

Are the rules different between versions or just theme changes? When Stern did Shrek off of Family Guy, the rules were identical and just the elements were changed to Shrek. That is my preferred option so when you buy one game, you have option to swap in chips and play the other game too, while knowing the rules. Sounded like that may have been initial goal for these 2 games before things got balled up, but then each game was being developed in parallel. But then Spooky announced they were changing their framework (or software). So what is general status of that effort? Has it been incorporated? Is game play any different? Will next release incorporate it? Did I misunderstand, are there no changes underway?

#4059 2 years ago

They are two different games with two different rulesets. You cannot run one code on the other. You’ve got a lot wrong here. They never changed framework (Halloween and Um were always on Pinotaur and it’s proprietary software) and the games rules were always going to deviate from eachother. That was always the plan to make each game unique. In the very first code iteration you could see some similarities but that was mostly based on the fact that they were simply programming mechs, switches and general hardware. Now that the basics are in place the games are both receiving separate treatments on rules and code. As they should. This is not Stern and comparing Shrek/Family guy to UM/ Halloween is a false equivalency.

Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Are the rules different between versions or just theme changes? When Stern did Shrek off of Family Guy, the rules were identical and just the elements were changed to Shrek. That is my preferred option so when you buy one game, you have option to swap in chips and play the other game too, while knowing the rules. Sounded like that may have been initial goal for these 2 games before things got balled up, but then each game was being developed in parallel. But then Spooky announced they were changing their framework (or software). So what is general status of that effort? Has it been incorporated? Is game play any different? Will next release incorporate it? Did I misunderstand, are there no changes underway?

#4060 2 years ago

Spooky changed the framework (software programming environment) and hardware with Halloween and Ultraman. They were using skeletongame framework and p3roc with TNA, Alice Cooper and Rick & Morty. Now they use whatever framework Ben Heck and Parker Dillman created and the new pinotaur.

Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

They are two different games with two different rulesets. You cannot run one code on the other. You’ve got a lot wrong here. They never changed framework and the games rules were always going to deviate from eachother. That was always the plan to make each game unique. In the very first code iteration you could see some similarities but that was mostly based on the fact that they were simply programming mechs, switches and general hardware. Now that the basics are in place the games are both receiving separate treatments on rules and code. As they should. This is not Stern and comparing Shrek/Family guy to UM/ Halloween is a false equivalency.

#4061 2 years ago

Yes I know that but they did not change the framework halfway through the production of these two current games like he was implying. They always ran on pinotaur.

Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Spooky changed the framework (software programming environment) and hardware with Halloween and Ultraman. They were using skeletongame framework and p3roc with TNA, Alice Cooper and Rick & Morty. Now they use whatever framework Ben Heck and Parker Dillman created and the new pinotaur.

#4062 2 years ago

The two games are very similar, but there are some minor differences. The biggest difference with the rules currently would be Dada vs Stalker. With that said, the games do have a different feel due to light shows, sound effects, and video assets. In terms of swapping software between games, it's simply not possible with licensing. Neither company would allow their assets to be placed on the opposite game.

#4063 2 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I thought I remember Ben saying the Pinotaur was based on the Open Pinball Project and was Mission Pinball Framework compatible. Is Spooky coding the game in MPF? Just curious

I like MPF. It makes certain things very easy and is pretty flexible with adding custom python code.

And as an aside, I'm guessing the licensing is why you need to directly contact Spooky if you bork your drive. Can't let people just swap the code/drives around willy nilly. Licensors don't like that. (Though Stern didn't seem to care to prevent people from doing this on their Whoa Nellie and Spiderman Home iterations)

#4064 2 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

The two games are very similar, but there are some minor differences. The biggest difference with the rules currently would be Dada vs Stalker. With that said, the games do have a different feel due to light shows, sound effects, and video assets. In terms of swapping software between games, it's simply not possible with licensing. Neither company would allow their assets to be placed on the opposite game.

Any idea when the next code update will be out for a Halloween I know it is no where near finished and just hoping that it gets the attention that it needs

#4065 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I thought I remember Ben saying the Pinotaur was based on the Open Pinball Project and was Mission Pinball Framework compatible. Is Spooky coding the game in MPF? Just curious
I like MPF. It makes certain things very easy and is pretty flexible with adding custom python code.
And as an aside, I'm guessing the licensing is why you need to directly contact Spooky if you bork your drive. Can't let people just swap the code/drives around willy nilly. Licensors don't like that. (Though Stern didn't seem to care to prevent people from doing this on their Whoa Nellie and Spiderman Home iterations)

"The [Pinotaur] communication system is loosely based on the Mission Pinball Framework (MPF)"

You are generally correct about licensing and software.

It's relatively difficult (arguably impossible) to completely prevent code/assets from being ripped, but there is an ambiguous amount of due diligence that must be done to protect them. Maybe if we ever do an unlicensed theme we can go wild with open access to everything. Even then there are some caveats we have to be careful about, primarily for safety.

#4066 2 years ago
Quoted from spooky_dj:

"The [Pinotaur] communication system is loosely based on the Mission Pinball Framework (MPF)"
You are generally correct about licensing and software.
It's relatively difficult (arguably impossible) to completely prevent code/assets from being ripped, but there is an ambiguous amount of due diligence that must be done to protect them. Maybe if we ever do an unlicensed theme we can go wild with open access to everything. Even then there are some caveats we have to be careful about, primarily for safety.

Yeah, you'd get fried coils and house fires of you open up the code completely.

#4067 2 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Yeah, you'd get fried coils and house fires of you open up the code completely.

There’s not much stopping most people from directly controlling a machine via USB and MPF these days, including brand new Sterns out of the box.

Hell people already do plenty of dangerous things with silly mods, fat fingers, and general stupidity.

Some of the controllers are pretty good about knowing not to do certain things.

#4068 2 years ago

Game is doing this new thing where the screen goes black and reboots happen once during play and once when the machine had been just sitting on

#4069 2 years ago
Quoted from McIntyre905:

Game is doing this new thing where the screen goes black and reboots happen once during play and once when the machine had been just sitting on

Try reinstall code. Sounds like something is corrupt in the software. Pins now are computers, so you have to treat them like one, and occasionally start from fresh.

#4070 2 years ago

Picking up #480 tomorrow in Benton. My first NIB. Stoked

3 weeks later
#4071 1 year ago

Does anyone know what board this are using and have a good clear picture of one (hopefully without all the wiring)?

#4072 1 year ago
Quoted from 67cutlass:

Does anyone know what board this are using and have a good clear picture of one (hopefully without all the wiring)?

It’s a Pinotaur board. All new designed based on OPP. No schematics are out for it yet. There was some mention of selling them to homebrewers later but it sounds like Spooky can barely get enough to put in their own games.

#4073 1 year ago

My phone camera is trash, but here ya go. I had a wiring table in the works, but it got pushed aside for some higher priority items. I'll try to get that out soon.

IMG_20220512_182215 (resized).jpgIMG_20220512_182215 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#4074 1 year ago

Have spooky built any BSE's yet?

#4075 1 year ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

Have spooky built any BSE's yet?

No, but they expect to have CEs completed within the next 2 months, and then onto the BSE's.

#4076 1 year ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

No, but they expect to have CEs completed within the next 2 months, and then onto the BSE's.

That seems to be true. I got the info that the EU build CEs waiting to get shipped quite soon, within the next few days.

#4077 1 year ago

I had some visitors last night. Halloween for the win out of my small collection.

#4078 1 year ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

I had some visitors last night. Halloween for the win out of my small collection.

Small but excellent collection

2 months later
#4079 1 year ago

Does anyone have an extra set of side graphics? Thinking maybe someone got an extra set for some small damage on theirs and might want to sell the extras. PM if you do.

#4080 1 year ago

Will or does anybody sell side art blades and speaker light kits for those who just ordered a standard edition?

#4081 1 year ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Will or does anybody sell side art blades and speaker light kits for those who just ordered a standard edition?

I'm pretty sure you can order them from Spooky. Just email [email protected] and ask.

#4082 1 year ago

Regarding the hype, the hype is real. CE 920 Butter is home.

20220928_203503 (resized).jpg20220928_203503 (resized).jpg
#4083 1 year ago

Just got my collector edition Halloween. What do I do to get that topper knife in action?

#4084 1 year ago
Quoted from colonelmikey:

Just got my collector edition Halloween. What do I do to get that topper knife in action?

It activates when you make certain shots, start various game modes. If it's not going, then is it not wired? The wires on the back of the motor are a bit fragile, so if they aren't getting power, the motor will not activate.

3 weeks later
#4085 1 year ago

Hello HALLOWEEN owners!
Taking a shot in the dark, Does anyone have an extra set of interior Halloween art blades?

We have a STANDARD and would LOVE to "complete" the look.
THANKS and Stay Safe

1 year later
#4086 4 months ago

Joined the club today with a CE. Didn’t plan to get this pin but got a smokin deal so I jumped on it.

#4087 4 months ago
Quoted from beltking:

Joined the club today with a CE. Didn’t plan to get this pin but got a smokin deal so I jumped on it.

Post in the owners thread. Congrats!

1 week later
#4088 3 months ago

Halloween Instruction Card for Jamie Lee Curtis Autographed book page. Available of Pinside market place.

IMG_0417 (resized).JPGIMG_0417 (resized).JPGIMG_0421 (resized).JPGIMG_0421 (resized).JPGIMG_0425 (resized).JPGIMG_0425 (resized).JPGIMG_0426 (resized).JPGIMG_0426 (resized).JPG
1 month later
#4089 60 days ago

Anyone know where to plug the topper in or have pics?

1 month later
#4090 23 days ago

Anyone have a scan of the playfield or of the ball deflector?

utramanpinplastic (resized).pngutramanpinplastic (resized).png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 49.99
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Charlotte, NC
Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Gilbert, AZ
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinned Out Mods

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 4,090 posts in this topic. You are on page 82 of 82.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-halloween-babysitters-welcome/page/82 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.