(Topic ID: 296256)

Spooky HALLOWEEN hype thread. Babysitters welcome.

By coasterguy

5 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,847 posts
  • 410 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by mpdpvdpin
  • Topic is favorited by 136 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

573FA6DA-BEFB-4625-B6D3-96C7E3E45F66 (resized).png
spookypower (resized).jpg
20211116_202512 (resized).jpg
20211116_202521 (resized).jpg
20211116_202529 (resized).jpg
20211116_202606 (resized).jpg
20211116_202554 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20211109_150123648 (resized).jpg
IMG_20211109_150112674 (resized).jpg
CA154FD5-0FAB-44F8-BC8B-6F62B9183CF1 (resized).jpeg
Polish_20211031_164541661 (resized).jpg
21C0BCF1-DF86-43C4-8F3B-20E22D201902 (resized).jpeg
B7171E27-78E9-4247-94A2-8D71ED8C6E46 (resized).jpeg
5187732F-EF6F-4E5F-95A9-F9371F52F5CE (resized).jpeg
65864F9D-221D-46D2-AFDC-17F3E8251C75 (resized).jpeg

There are 3,847 posts in this topic. You are on page 67 of 77.
#3301 61 days ago

I don't have an issue with ball staging, but I don't think it fixes the problem you are talking about. In my opinion, timing isn't the issue. Players aren't losing balls because they aren't being returned instantly. The issue is the ball entering the playfield in a unique way. I think that's cool, but it takes a few games to get used to.

#3302 61 days ago

So, what happens if you hold the flipper up when the ball ejects from the lifter? Does it have enough momentum to pass to the other flipper, or do you need to flip to save the ball?

#3303 61 days ago

I hope Spooky doesn’t waste their timing with ball staging. Because then you’ll get a group crying for a ball save every time the ball immediately pops out and drains while their still looking at the upper mini playfield.
And how are you suppose to get the balls back to the staging state after a multiball?

#3304 61 days ago
Quoted from RebelGuitars:

And how are you suppose to get the balls back to the staging state after a multiball?

They could add 2 extra balls that always stay in the lifter, so it ejects the ball in the lifter only when one comes down the subway to replace it.
Spooky said they were thinking about adding two more balls for staging, probably trying it out already.

#3305 61 days ago

At the rate they are going I don’t see them making 18 months it took over two months to get out 50 games at this peace I don’t think I will see mine until the Middle of 2023 it would be nice to have updates on production from time to time

#3306 61 days ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

So, what happens if you hold the flipper up when the ball ejects from the lifter? Does it have enough momentum to pass to the other flipper, or do you need to flip to save the ball?

Based on my limited experience (4 or so games), if you hold the flipper up it will have momentum to travel off the flipper at least on the game I played. I had zero issue with understanding when the ball was going to come from the inlane. There is an audio and visual cue for it and the delay from subway to lift didn’t seem egregious to me but again I haven’t played a bunch…if you are grinding the game non stop I could see it potentially getting annoying.

#3307 61 days ago

So is spooky going to fix the “hedge multiball” insert ? I haven’t anything about it.

#3308 61 days ago
Quoted from Arevalo89:

So is spooky going to fix the “hedge multiball” insert ? I haven’t anything about it.

When Stern fixes the ‘you ooze you loose’ and the ‘hair dick’ LOTR backglass.

Not a deal breaker is what I’m sayin’.

#3309 61 days ago
Quoted from underlord:

Also on the latest Batman I’ve been told

#3310 61 days ago
Quoted from Pinman502:

At the rate they are going I don’t see them making 18 months it took over two months to get out 50 games at this peace I don’t think I will see mine until the Middle of 2023 it would be nice to have updates on production from time to time

Read up - They have been giving updates. They will hit it within the timeframe and it wouldn’t surprise me if they hit it ahead of schedule as they did last time around. Starting off slow to make sure the quality is there and ramping up as they go.

#3311 61 days ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Yep.
Where are we at in life where 3-6 seconds is such a crisis?
And the $30 screen isn’t “true black” like their $3000 TV.
Honestly sometimes I just wanna throw in the towel. I don’t know how some people get through the day without having a some sort of hemorrhage with the minute things that worry them.
I tell you what - thank the lord I’m not in the pinball manufacturing business. There’s no pleasing half these f**ckers.
rd

It's the same few people that buzz around the flavor of the minute threads pointing out little gripes, constantly stirring the pot yet they aren't even in on the game long-term. They just move on to the next game and cause a stir there too. Several of these people were doing the same act back when I had Alien. I haven't paid much attention to the new stuff since then, yet here they are still barely interested in a title yet yelling the loudest about its flaws.

#3312 61 days ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

That would have the unintended benefit of speeding up game tempo.

If they coded staging balls in, how would that be "unintended".....it's literally the ONLY intention. There's no other reason to do it.

#3313 61 days ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

It's the same few people that buzz around the flavor of the minute threads pointing out little gripes, constantly stirring the pot yet they aren't even in on the game long-term. They just move on to the next game and cause a stir there too. Several of these people were doing the same act back when I had Alien. I haven't paid much attention to the new stuff since then, yet here they are still barely interested in a title yet yelling the loudest about its flaws.

Ya, I never understood that mentality much. Some may just be trolls, but others seem to be genuinely invested in just nitpicking and being a downer.

It makes some sense to nitpick if someone actually owns a game or a preorder spot since they are invested in the outcome of a project as you noted, but I dont get extended attacks on a game if you aren't involved with it yourself.

Like there are some games I have zero interest in about the theme or I think it looks like a dud play wise, but not going to waste my time trashing a title I'll probably never own or even play beyond a round or two on location .

#3314 61 days ago

This ball staging thing is ludicrous. Play the game for cryin out load and get use to the timing. Play better instead of bitching about petty shit. Sounds, rules, animations, and video clips are way more important.

#3315 61 days ago

100% I don’t even care about the lighted insert - I’d rather them spend all their time on the below

Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Sounds, rules, animations, and video clips are way more important.

#3316 61 days ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

It might depend on the slope, but on my game the ball would hold pass to the opposite flipper.

#3317 61 days ago

After I got used to the ball being served to both flippers, and was playing decently, I’d still lose 1/2 ball per game due to not noticing. Spooky should make ball staging their top priority and assign one person full time. The reason flipper feeds are a problem is that you don’t want to lose balls at the flippers from not noticing them until it is too late to flip. It is out of sight, out of mind. If ball scoop kicks out on top of a playfield, a player easily sees it from the moment of release until it arrives at flipper and the ball travels from one foot to three feet to arrive at the flipper. With Halloween when you see the ball appear, it has two inches to travel before it is on the flipper.
I’ve found I HAVE to constantly watch the flipper area with one eye. That leaves my bad eye for playing the game, watching the ball and looking at the lcd. When I should be concentrating on rules, shots needed and handling the ball, I must now add watch for ball rolling past bottom flippers at random times to the list. That is asking too much of player if it requires him to change the way he plays every other modern pin. Maybe some people are better picking up on other cues like the flashers and sounds to let them know a ball is being released and to look down to flipper areas, but I find current feeding pattern to be problematic and annoying and requiring of ball staging to resolve it. The sooner this happens, the better.

Well, you know....it is supposed to take skill to play pinball.

#3318 61 days ago
Quoted from Arevalo89:

So is spooky going to fix the “hedge multiball” insert ? I haven’t anything about it

The issue I see is if they fix the insert then people who have the game will complain that they need a new playfield. If they don't fix it then everyone is on equal ground. I hope they fix it for those who think it is a deal breaker but I wouldn't hold my breath.

#3319 61 days ago

Played the October 1 newly coded Halloween CE at Crazy Martins in Piqua, Ohio yesterday. Had previously played it at I/O Arcqade Bar in Madison, WI. WE live in Adrian, MI and, yes, we traveled 6.5 and 2.5 hours respectively just for the opportunity to play Halloween. The first time was on CE#2 at O/I. Immediately after playing the game for several days during that Madison trip, we decided we need the game for our small collection and was able to secure a Pre-Order spot in the Mid-250s. A week ago they were producing approximately 20 games a week. In an earlier email, it was indicated that they were hoping to ramp up production to 40 games a week (although some of those might be Ultraman...to respond to a thread earlier about production). The point was that we thoroughly enjoyed the game playing on this CE numer 2 machine that was very early in.

The October 1 code came in, and we made a 2.5 hour trip to Crazy Martin's yesterday, understanding that they would likely update. They had! For all of you Spooky fans out there, let me highly recommend Crazy Martin's. They have an entire room dedicated to Spooky pinball (with an American Pinball Houdini thrown into the corner for good measure). One wall is dedicated to spooky and they have most of the games. Not being a pinball historian I believe that the line up is production order: America's Most Haunted, Rob Zombie's Spookshow, Total Nuclear Annihilation, Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle, Rick and Morty, and Halloween CE #32. Missing titles such as the Jetsons and Dominoes weren't an issue. The ability to play all 6 of these games in one location was terrific; great way to not only compare the machines but to experience Spooky's progression over time. Pretty impressive as a small town pinball manufacturer. Crazy Martin's is a pipe, water pipe, rolling papers, incense, candles, gems and crystals type of store...you get the drift...but they have a great selection of pinball machines (maybe 17 or so) and, again, a back room dedicated to all things Spooky. Check it out if ever in the area.

But back to the code. Although we thoroughly enjoyed CE#2 days after it was received, the difference with the October 1 update is incredible. The game play is smooth, getting to the upper playfireld (the house) makes sense, and the opportunity to get there seems more straight forward. I absolutely agree that, for me, the game staging is not an issue. I can't think of another game that I enjoy where staging is much different. It's just part of the experience, and, frankly, allows you a few seconds to do make some game play decisions and take a renewed look at the playfield during game play. Absolutely, NOT a problem. The movie clips were short but a nice bonus, and I'm certain that there will be more over time. I understand that the callouts also may have improved, but really did not have much of an opportunity to hear them at O/I because we were in a noisy bar setting (also a terrific pinball hang out and highly recommeded with great bartenders). The big bonus is the collection of blood drops which I won't discuss in detail, but they add a lot to the game and give you choices as how you want to use them. A very creative idea and very much in theme.

I highly recommend watching Spooky Pinball's own Bugs introduce the code update. It really helped before playing the game yesterday and really assisted in getting into the upper most playfield house. He does a great job, and the YouTube video is under 12 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=RPxzQc_LJQE

Totally enjoy this game after about 50 total plays and looking forward to having it in the collection (we sacrificed a couple 4 wheelers to make the purchase...the pinballs get more use. Haha.) To all the naysayers out there, perhaps give the game another chance after watching Bug's video or simply decide that it might not be the game for you. We do, after all, have our own preferences. I, for one. thoroughly enjoy the game; theme and all, and feel that the production has been top notch. We are anxiously awaiting having the game in our basement just in time for the holidays (whatever fall/winter holiday that might be). Until then we will take a few road trips to various bars, pinball venues, events to get our Halloween fix. Nice bonus: I also have a new found appreciation for TNA as well which I had previously dismissed. Just never gave it the chance it deserved.

PS: I once posted that the pinball game had a cameo appearance by comedian Mike Myers being killed by killer Michael Myers. Having watched the 1978 film now several times, it's simply a movie clip of Lynda's boyfriend Bob being killed by Michael. I thought it was a clever cameo but now realize that the glass wearing Bob just has an uncanny resemblance to the glass wearing Mike Myers as Austin Powers when viewed in Black and White. I appreciate no one ever calling me out on it. Haha

#3320 61 days ago

About to go live with code update on twitch.tv/thisflippinpodcast

#3321 61 days ago
Quoted from rotordave:

All the classic BW games from the 90s with subways, they’re all the same. Shoot the Camera on Twilight Zone, then it needs to go down the subway, come out the scoop and get to the flipper. I bet that takes longer than 6 seconds.

But they're not: both NF and STTNG stage a ball at the kickout to speed things up. Who Dunnit may as well, been a while since I owned that one. Nothing wrong with requesting ball staging as it's nothing new, but also nothing wrong with Spooky not prioritizing it right now considering the early state of code.

#3322 61 days ago

Someone posted once that HWN was kind of easy- "just keep shooting the middle ramp." If that is the case, then personally I welcome the suprise Michael inlane popout drain. Something needs to even things out. I like the idea that the video would coincide with "oops you weren't ready and were killed by Michael".

Seems that all the top competitors in my area hate RM. That's because it is the great equalizer. Constantly throwing everyone off their game and keeping them on their toes. Love it. Those same guys post up on on a Stern and play one ball for 10 minutes looking like a rockstar.

#3323 61 days ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Also on the latest Batman I’ve been told

Id really like an example of this. Ive owned BM66 for over 4 yrs and have never seen this. Catwoman's head was cut off by one of the ramps but that was corrected by production time. Its not a huge deal on HW but that should've never made it to production looking like that.

#3324 61 days ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

This ball staging thing is ludicrous. Play the game for cryin out load and get use to the timing. Play better instead of bitching about petty shit. Sounds, rules, animations, and video clips are way more important.

Really, video clips and animations are more important than the speed and flow of the game? I'm not saying the visuals are not important, but saying that the overall speed and flow of the pin is "petty shit", we have very different opinions I guess.

#3325 61 days ago
Quoted from Chief_G:

Couldn't agree more. C'mon Spooky. You can do it!!!
Extend the clips/scenes and add more, reduce or eliminate some of those those corny animations.
Think about the RnM code with the long clips, it works, and how that pulls that game together, it's incredible. Please do that to Halloween. So many scary scenes in that movie.
I'm rooting for you!

Interesting thing about the clips. No one else that plays my R&M waits for the animations. They flip thru them as fast as possible - and then find the game 'not fun' because they don't understand what is going on. They don't even pay attention to the callouts, unless it is someone yelling Jackpot! The average person doesn't want long clips, they want the ball to move. This is why the whole LCD craze is not really a step forward in pinball. Only pinheads who apparently spend a lot of time watching others play games care about LCD screens or what is on them. Most people only glance at the screen to see a score, and aren't interested in watching videos. I personally hate stop and go pinball as well. Attention spans are not that long anymore. They want lots of interaction on the playfield (toys/mechs), and very little interruptions to throwing the ball around.

#3326 61 days ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Id really like an example of this. Ive owned BM66 for over 4 yrs and have never seen this. Catwoman's head was cut off by one of the ramps but that was corrected by production time. Its not a huge deal on HW but that should've never made it to production looking like that.

I don't know but someone on here who owns one only realised and never saw it until it was mentioned by me earlier, can’t remember who though.
It was Neil McRae who said there was a similar thing on Batman, I presumed it was BM66.

Edit: just looked at a pic and ringed the inserts, might be these.

97F3FE11-95D6-4279-A512-CFCBD9E2F3D7 (resized).jpeg
#3327 61 days ago

Added orange anodized lock nuts in 6/32 and 8/32. Matches well with the orange plastic protectors.

450C3254-B4C4-42BB-BB28-5BD45C6967EE (resized).jpeg4F48B71C-1BA3-4028-AEB2-0E0709B9E9AA (resized).jpegBACE0166-BFFB-4DCF-8660-FD9BE1961B7A (resized).jpegEFE459CE-EE2D-433D-8352-2CF6E8D074DB (resized).jpeg
#3328 61 days ago

Added orange anodized lock nuts in 6/32 and 8/32. Matches well with the orange plastic protectors.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Sweet! Did you order those online?

#3329 61 days ago

looks really nice for such a small and quick mod!

#3330 61 days ago

The details on this pin are nuts. The more I see the more I like.

Code’ll catch up.

#3331 61 days ago
Quoted from radfordian3505:

Love this idea please do this spooky.

please don't. . .

#3332 61 days ago

Are they offering refunds? I didn’t think so. But I don’t want one because the game looks great. Whereas I lost a ball every other game, plenty of newbies drained multiple balls every game without even noticing. You’ve watched this in videos too. No, this is a design problem that affects many players of H & UM. Fortunately all is resolved with a ball staging routine and everybody wins.

How many do you have in your collection or currently have a down payment on?

#3333 61 days ago

I think the weird insert makes it special. We all have faults

#3334 61 days ago

Ha ha it’s BEAUTIFUL

#3335 61 days ago

Went to order from your Facebook post and Marco is out of stock on the 6-32. They should give you a sales commission.

#3336 61 days ago

Streamed the game today and uploaded to YouTube.

#3337 61 days ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Awesome thanks for posting on YouTube

EDIT just a fantastic stream

#3338 61 days ago

This does look good. Do you have a count of how many of each are needed?

#3339 61 days ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

I don't know but someone on here who owns one only realised and never saw it until it was mentioned by me earlier, can’t remember who though.
It was Neil McRae who said there was a similar thing on Batman, I presumed it was BM66.
Edit: just looked at a pic and ringed the inserts, might be these.[quoted image]

Thanks for posting this. I think the big difference is that Stern's was intentional. There's no way those words were gonna fit any other way unless they were miniscule. Whereas Spooky's insert looks like "Eh, its good enough. Right?" Again, not a deal breaker by any means but should be fixed on any future playfield runs.

#3340 61 days ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

LMAO, at 12:30, I heard the Nightmare on Elm Street theme. I got excited that Spooky dropped an easter egg in the game, but then you ruined it and said Freddy was on and it was just the attract music.

#3341 61 days ago
Quoted from Porkfritter:

please don't. . .

Why not I love the idea of earning a special movie clip with the blood. Would make for a very special pinball moment for sure.it would give you something to build towards each game.

#3342 61 days ago

Anyone have trouble with the update? I seem to have made CE #17 unbootable despite the game reporting that it had updated successfully.

#3343 61 days ago
Quoted from poweruser86:

Anyone have trouble with the update? I seem to have made CE #17 unbootable despite the game reporting that it had updated successfully.

Try back updating…to a previous code. But, I haven’t had any trouble. You may need Spooky to send a new card. #12 and have updated a couple times.

#3344 61 days ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Try back updating…to a previous code. But, I haven’t had any trouble. You may need Spooky to send a new card. #12 and have updated a couple times.

Can I download that from anywhere? I can’t seem to find anything for Halloween on their site other than the update code.

#3345 61 days ago
Quoted from poweruser86:

Can I download that from anywhere? I can’t seem to find anything for Halloween on their site other than the update code.

I have them all. Pm me and I’ll send you them.

#3346 61 days ago
Quoted from Pinman502:At the rate they are going I don’t see them making 18 months it took over two months to get out 50 games at this peace I don’t think I will see mine until the Middle of 2023 it would be nice to have updates on production from time to time

Nah, they’ll make schedule - first 100
or so are used to iron out bugs. They’ll start ramping up production soon. Same on all their previous releases.

#3347 61 days ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Yep.
Where are we at in life where 3-6 seconds is such a crisis?
And the $30 screen isn’t “true black” like their $3000 TV.
Honestly sometimes I just wanna throw in the towel. I don’t know how some people get through the day without having a some sort of hemorrhage with the minute things that worry them.
I tell you what - thank the lord I’m not in the pinball manufacturing business. There’s no pleasing half these f**ckers.
rd

I wouldn’t trip on it. I think those who complain on art, code & price hide behind the guise of being constructive but really it’s because they can’t afford it and even if they do actually buy the game, the 10 racks represents too high of a percentage of their net worth so they stay hyper focused on it.

Those who can blow their nose with 10 g’s just open the box, enjoy the game for what it is and send it down the road for whatever when they’re over it…next

#3348 61 days ago
Quoted from underlord:

Prime example of Whataboutism. That insert is awful and needs to be fixed.

#3349 60 days ago
Quoted from theadicts77:

If you think it’s awful, I definitely would never want you as a customer.

#3350 60 days ago
Quoted from theadicts77:

Needs? Hardly.

Livable? Yes.

Will they fix? Hopefully.

There are 3,847 posts in this topic. You are on page 67 of 77.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside