(Topic ID: 296256)

Spooky HALLOWEEN hype thread. Babysitters welcome.

By coasterguy

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,090 posts
  • 430 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by Gunner007
  • Topic is favorited by 111 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

utramanpinplastic (resized).png
IMG_0421 (resized).JPG
IMG_0425 (resized).JPG
IMG_0426 (resized).JPG
IMG_0417 (resized).JPG
20220928_203503 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220512_182215 (resized).jpg
true level (resized).png
20220215_183140 (resized).jpg
20220214_203712 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220215_010617367 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220207_174230157 (resized).jpg
C6475CC4-E878-472F-9A3B-DDF806FA4F44 (resized).jpeg
C91EC225-85D7-42B7-A84A-019E59ABF9CF (resized).jpeg
IMG_20220209_222110.jpg
IMG_20220209_222153.jpg
There are 4,090 posts in this topic. You are on page 59 of 82.
#2901 2 years ago

I just saw a YouTube video yesterday and it was every scene from H78 that showed Myers. The whole video was only 3 1/2 min long. If Spooky gets 2 min of that footage in I think they're on the right track.

#2902 2 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Still early code…even with the update. That said, I don’t have 2 minutes to take my eyes off the playfield, even if 6 sec at a time. This is a fast playing pin.

I really think this pin can be a masterpiece of a pin with play and integration, but the A/V guy himself didn't seem to feel that way, and with the comments he made about Spooky/the big guy not really wanting a bunch of videos in the game, is concerning. I'm just trying to ensure Spooky knows what we want, cause like Joe Dirt says, it's not what you like, it's what the consumer likes! Or something to that effect lol. We want video and we want a lot if it. Spooky will deliver, I have no doubts!!

#2903 2 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

I just saw a YouTube video yesterday and it was every scene from H78 that showed Myers. The whole video was only 3 1/2 min long. If Spooky gets 2 min of that footage in I think they're on the right track.

Nah this is missing tons of Michael shots. Entire car strangulation scene is missing. Entire phone cord strangulation scene is missing. Also all the times he watched from outside the window and then killed the dog. And more various. And other scenes cut short.

#2904 2 years ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

Nah this is missing tons of Michael shots. Entire car strangulation scene is missing. Also all the times he watched from outside the window and then killed the dog. And more various.

Yeah they did cut the kills out. Its still amazing how little he's actually on screen. I'm honestly not worried about the movie clips as I am the animations. They need to improve.

#2905 2 years ago

I'm honestly not worried about the movie clips as I am the animations.

I'm just worried about where it lives in my lineup so that clown w a knife isn't staring at me alot, lol.

Maybe some of this stuff should have me concerned about the finished product. Oddly, I'm not. Quite excited, actually, for an all time classic slasher theme in a great shooting game from a passionate company. Is what it is....for me.

#2906 2 years ago

You’re on point!!!

This is what the game needs. Animations detract from the game big time …

#2907 2 years ago

Not that anyone cares what I think but everyone's worried far too much about what the final product is going to be. Video cutscenes, animations, it doesn't really matter, I truly believe that everyone at spooky is truly committed to making this a masterpiece. It's one thing to have input and suggestions, but this thread has gotten somewhat ridiculous. Either you're along for the ride, or you're not, Quit bitchin!

#2908 2 years ago
Quoted from Chief_G:

You’re on point!!!

I don't really agree with that. Nobody wants do just see the same movie clips over and over, animations should fill in the gaps. But they need to be high quality animations to improve the experience. I have never seen a ACNC, but from what I can tell, those animations were top notch. Why not bring him or her back on board, or why were they not there in the first place? The current guy has me worried, and it's not just his ability, but attitude that is most concerning.

I'm 920 though, so no doubt it's going to be fleshed out by then!

#2909 2 years ago
Quoted from Chief_G:

You’re on point!!!

This is the Cleeland code everyone desires basically, the dilemma other companies don’t understand, aren’t getting the hint, or just don’t care. Give us the full package man!! We’ll pay up for it. Get the assets, that’s what makes the game killer. It’s why RnM soared and AIQ was an awesome layout that fell short because the call outs, music, and assets was less than desirable.

#2910 2 years ago
Quoted from CrisCrow:

Not that anyone cares what I think but everyone's worried far too much about what the final product is going to be. Video cutscenes, animations, it doesn't really matter, I truly believe that everyone at spooky is truly committed to making this a masterpiece. It's one thing to have input and suggestions, but this thread has gotten somewhat ridiculous. Either you're along for the ride, or you're not, Quit bitchin!

If you watched the animation creators vid and heard what he said, you might be concerned. He kinda said "the boss" didn't want a bunch of videos assets in the pin. That sets direction, regardless of code maturity. Hell, he said play the movie in the background if you want Halloween. Not really what we are expecting.

#2911 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I don't really agree with that. Nobody wants do just see the same movie clips over and over, animations should fill in the gaps. But they need to be high quality animations to improve the experience. I have never seen a ACNC, but from what I can tell, those animations were top notch. Why not bring him or her back on board, or why were they not there in the first place? The current guy has me worried, and it's not just his ability, but attitude that is most concerning.
I'm 920 though, so no doubt it's going to be fleshed out by then!

This is a cult classic slasher movie, it’s all about the movie clips. The movie is the pin, the pin is the movie.
We can respectfully disagree.

#2912 2 years ago
Quoted from Chief_G:

This is a cult classic slasher movie, it’s all about the movie clips. The movie is the pin, the pin is the movie.
We can respectfully disagree.

So you want the movie to basically be looped, with no animations in between?

Hmmm. Luckily, that's not what's going to happen.

#2913 2 years ago

Think this would be great if www.Sparkypinball.com could make a TV or Video screen for this game. Could have a bunch of real assets going during the game play. Works wonders for other games. I feel it would work very well with this title. Hey Sparky you have been challenged. Lol

@sparkypinball

EducatedSeriousCommabutterfly-size_restricted.gifEducatedSeriousCommabutterfly-size_restricted.gif
#2914 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

If you watched the animation creators vid and heard what he said, you might be concerned. He kinda said "the boss" didn't want a bunch of videos assets in the pin. That sets direction, regardless of code maturity. Hell, he said play the movie in the background if you want Halloween. Not really what we are expecting.

I did watch, both times when he was streaming live on twitch. Yeah it looked rough, but he made it look that way, the video quality, his playing ability, and the way he was in general was quite cringe. That being said, I've watched other people videos since and am not the slightest bit concerned with what it is currently or spooky's end vision will mature into. IMO everyone needs to chill with the nitpicking until you have one in your game room.

#2915 2 years ago
Quoted from playtwowin:

Think this would be great if www.Sparkypinball.com could make a TV or Video screen for this game. Could have a bunch of real assets going during the game play. Works wonders for other games. I feel it would work very well with this title. Hey Sparky you have been challenged. Lol
@sparkypinball
[quoted image]

theyre pretty easy things to make, lots of sources for kits or tiny lcd screens to build em'

edit: also great use for old phones and ipods, you can 3dprint a tv housing for it (this is what ill be doing if i can find a place for it or might install it in the apron)

#2916 2 years ago
Quoted from CrisCrow:

I did watch, both times when he was streaming live on twitch. Yeah it looked rough, but he made it look that way, the video quality, his playing ability, and the way he was in general was quite cringe. That being said, I've watched other people videos since and am not the slightest bit concerned with what it is currently or spooky's end vision will mature into. IMO everyone needs to chill with the nitpicking until you have one in your game room.

Easier to add suggestions now, before you can't. If everyone waited for anything, or until you owned it, nothing would get better. It's not nitpicking, it's letting the maker know what the market wants.

#2917 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Easier to add suggestions now, before you can't. If everyone waited for anything, or until you owned it, nothing would get better. It's not nitpicking, it's letting the maker know what the market wants.

then how about ill give you my number way up in the 900s and you can give me your most likely much lower number and ill be happy with the game "as is" while you wait for improvements

#2918 2 years ago
Quoted from CrisCrow:

then how about ill give you my number way up in the 900s and you can give me your most likely much lower number and ill be happy with the game "as is" while you wait for improvements
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"664e4f05dfd90d94e678ab6a7991781aa5e43914-1632373332-1800"};
//]]>

I think you are 912, I'm 920 lol You are welcome in advance for my nitpicking!

#2919 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I think you are 912, I'm 920 lol You are welcome in advance for my nitpicking!

damn... no, I'm #933, thought you were way farther up. Regardless, the video and animation stuff can be changed. the only real gripe would be the insert, but if that can't be fixed, it is what it is. The cabinet is gorgeous, the playfield looks great, and so far people say the game is fun. Just relax and enjoy the ride

#2920 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

So you want the movie to basically be looped, with no animations in between?
Hmmm. Luckily, that's not what's going to happen.

Hmmm.
No, minimal animations that are much better and extended clips that rock, like RnM, which set the bar much higher than this. That’s it.
BTW, I love Spooky and want this game to kill it..

#2921 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

This is the plague of the industry I am in- R&D. They will always tell me they will "change it later" which turns into "too late" at the blink of an eye.
However, Spooky has relentlessly asked for feedback and given their email along with that, I don't get why people get so upset that others are giving feedback, wishlists, and concerns.

#2922 2 years ago
Quoted from Chief_G:

Hmmm.
No, minimal animations that are much better and extended clips that rock, like RnM, which set the bar much higher than this. That’s it.
BTW, I love Spooky and want this game to kill it..

Halloween doesn't have near the assets of R&M. There has got to be filler.

R&M did set a high bar for sure!!

#2923 2 years ago
Quoted from CrisCrow:

damn... no, I'm #933, thought you were way farther up. Regardless, the video and animation stuff can be changed. the only real gripe would be the insert, but if that can't be fixed, it is what it is. The cabinet is gorgeous, the playfield looks great, and so far people say the game is fun. Just relax and enjoy the ride

I'm actually less concerned about the insert. Unless you are staring at the playfield and completely over the top OCD, it is what it is. Would you rather they put the $$$ into fixing that, or delivering an overall better experience via a/v, rules and gameplay? Yea, that is a major miss and oversight though..

#2924 2 years ago
Quoted from Chief_G:

This is the Cleeland code everyone desires basically, the dilemma other companies don’t understand, aren’t getting the hint, or just don’t care. Give us the full package man!! We’ll pay up for it. Get the assets, that’s what makes the game killer. It’s why RnM soared and AIQ was an awesome layout that fell short because the call outs, music, and assets was less than desirable.

Just curious if you sent Cleland a donation? I know I did. Everyone says they will pay up for it but I wonder if that is really true. An entire thread devoted to "F Stern price increases" but if the answer from Stern was "we are chasing higher dollar assets now, so of course it costs you more", do you think that thread would go dormant? I wonder.

#2925 2 years ago

Not sure if this was posted here yet, but a collectors edition is available for play at the West Hills AYCE Gogi in the LA area. Spent some time playing it and really liked it. One thing that doesn't translate well to the online streams is the audio, in person it sounds great!

PXL_20210923_031334584 (resized).jpgPXL_20210923_031334584 (resized).jpg
#2926 2 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Not sure if this was posted here yet, but a collectors edition is available for play at the West Hills AYCE Gogi in the LA area. Spent some time playing it and really liked it. One thing that doesn't translate well to the online streams is the audio, in person it sounds great!
[quoted image]

that's exactly what I mean, I think the game is far more amazing in person than anyone in here aside from the people that have played, it are giving credit for! I have faith in what spooky is up to with this project

#2927 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I really think this pin can be a masterpiece of a pin with play and integration, but the A/V guy himself didn't seem to feel that way, and with the comments he made about Spooky/the big guy not really wanting a bunch of videos in the game, is concerning. I'm just trying to ensure Spooky knows what we want, cause like Joe Dirt says, it's not what you like, it's what the consumer likes! Or something to that effect lol. We want video and we want a lot if it. Spooky will deliver, I have no doubts!!

I didn't watch through the whole stream, but do we know that "the big guy" is from Spooky and not from the license holder? Maybe it doesn't matter in the end, since it could have the same end result, but I know licensing for some games is more difficult then others.

#2928 2 years ago
Quoted from damadczar:

Even 20 clips each at 6 seconds is only 2 minutes of film footage.
I’d hope eventually we’ll have a few more clips.

2 min added in is decent, and it's again still early so imagine we might see some more clips later added still, as well as maybe some more animations added too eventually. It's a year long project and we already getting a bunch of clips added to the game in like a week. Doubt that is going to be it after the Oct 1 update.

Long clips also only really work well if it's a game that has lot of locked ball features for you to spend time looking up at, it didn't seem like this game has lot of moments your going to have sitting around doing nothing. Godzilla for example has a bunch of features that lock the ball out of play for you and you watch stuff on playfield and screens till the ball is released back into play.

#2929 2 years ago

Can someone summarize where we are at build wise? Last I remember reading was a few weeks ago they had something like 25 of them built and were playtesting them before shipping. How far along build # wise are we?

It'd be nice if Spooky would send out periodic updates just to let buyers know how production is going.

#2930 2 years ago

go a page back to my post - Spooky posted an update on FB yesterday. #'s 51+ should start building around week of 10/4 once they finish up the VIPS.

#2931 2 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:Yeah they did cut the kills out. Its still amazing how little he's actually on screen. I'm honestly not worried about the movie clips as I am the animations. They need to improve.

This is a huge reason the movie is so effective. Same as Jaws - you are searching the frame for him every second, it heightens the tension. This concept would NOT work on a game because you should be looking at the playfield, not the screen. I trust Spooky is keeping this in mind and not just throwing a bunch of movie clips in the game just because of Pinside pressure. That said, watching a stream is *kind of* like being a bystander on location, so the more activity (not just clips) on the screen, the better

#2932 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

2 min added in is decent, and it's again still early so imagine we might see some more clips later added still, as well as maybe some more animations added too eventually. It's a year long project and we already getting a bunch of clips added to the game in like a week. Doubt that is going to be it after the Oct 1 update.
Long clips also only really work well if it's a game that has lot of locked ball features for you to spend time looking up at, it didn't seem like this game has lot of moments your going to have sitting around doing nothing. Godzilla for example has a bunch of features that lock the ball out of play for you and you watch stuff on playfield and screens till the ball is released back into play.

This is also almost a minute longer than JJP has in POTC, so...

#2933 2 years ago

POTC should not be the "bar" for this.

Also - its not pinside pressure it is CUSTOMERS who have already purchased the game. People want movie clips in a movie pin.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

This is also almost a minute longer than JJP has in POTC, so...

#2934 2 years ago

"People want movie clips in a movie pin."

Well said. A self-evident indisputable truth.

#2935 2 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I didn't watch through the whole stream, but do we know that "the big guy" is from Spooky and not from the license holder? Maybe it doesn't matter in the end, since it could have the same end result, but I know licensing for some games is more difficult then others.

That's what I was wondering, as well. I couldn't make myself keep watching that stream. Not a fan of glass off gameplay. Too noisy. I did hear that he has submitted a bunch of animations that have yet to make it in. And he talked about an animation moving into the jack o lantern and seeing the candle inside. Guessing this would be the intro to pumpkin modes, maybe? Sounded cool, though. I'd wager he will deliver some good stuff, being so passionate about the film.

#2936 2 years ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

Nah this is missing tons of Michael shots. Entire car strangulation scene is missing. Entire phone cord strangulation scene is missing. Also all the times he watched from outside the window and then killed the dog. And more various. And other scenes cut short.

no dog killing allowed

#2937 2 years ago

Since we're talking so much about what's on the LCD, how about the quality of the LCD? There's a company that sells the upgraded screens for Spooky pins. I know that R&M had viewing issues and washout from multiple angles. Many owners upgraded theirs and they look amazing. Can any owners confirm if this is still an issue with Halloween? Or did Spooky correct this?

#2938 2 years ago

No snark intended, but I do find all the talk of the licensor being so protective and concerned about the integrity of the I.P amusing given the state of the Halloween franchise for decades.

It does seem to be turning a corner with the new trilogy now which is great, but it was in a grim health for at least 4,5,6, h20, resurrection, and the horrible Rob Zombie remakes. So with it having so little cohesion or consistency for so long weird the licensor would be so worried about auditing and mandating video clips for a pinball machine of which only 1250 will exist.

#2939 2 years ago

For those of you in or around Ohio looking to play Ultraman mine just arrived and it will be set up on location today at
Southland Lanes
6800 W 130th St
Middleburg Heights, OH 44130

I am hoping to have my Halloween around Halloween

#2940 2 years ago
Quoted from Obed_Marsh:

No snark intended, but I do find all the talk of the licensor being so protective and concerned about the integrity of the I.P amusing given the state of the Halloween franchise for decades.
It does seem to be turning a corner with the new trilogy now which is great, but it was in a grim health for at least 4,5,6, h20, resurrection, and the horrible Rob Zombie remakes. So with it having so little cohesion or consistency for so long weird the licensor would be so worried about auditing and mandating video clips for a pinball machine of which only 1250 will exist.

I kind of agree here. This isn't Gone with the Wind. I tend to believe they'll get a few minutes in the game.

#2941 2 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

That's what I was wondering, as well. I couldn't make myself keep watching that stream. Not a fan of glass off gameplay. Too noisy. I did hear that he has submitted a bunch of animations that have yet to make it in. And he talked about an animation moving into the jack o lantern and seeing the candle inside. Guessing this would be the intro to pumpkin modes, maybe? Sounded cool, though. I'd wager he will deliver some good stuff, being so passionate about the film.

Also, there's suppose to be the closing scenes with all the camera views at the end of the movie.

#2942 2 years ago
Quoted from tlsbryan:

For those of you in or around Ohio looking to play Ultraman mine just arrived and it will be set up on location today at
Southland Lanes
6800 W 130th St
Middleburg Heights, OH 44130
I am hoping to have my Halloween around Halloween

Well, I know what I’m doing tonight

#2943 2 years ago
Quoted from Obed_Marsh:

I had the same thought, but I think this license is specific to the first Halloween. They probably look back at what has happened to the franchise and not want to further tarnish the original. With that said, I'm hoping they put some faith in Spooky Pinball. I don't think there is a licensee that is more committed to the horror genre then them.

#2944 2 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

POTC should not be the "bar" for this.
Also - its not pinside pressure it is CUSTOMERS who have already purchased the game. People want movie clips in a movie pin.

I doubt there are more than 5 minutes worth of clips in Alien. They’re all just a few seconds worth of transitions or game mode/mood setup. I also doubt Fox was super carefree with their license. Also, clips of the actual Xenomorph? Maybe two or three total clips.

#2945 2 years ago

Not to beat a dead horse, we have probably been spoiled a bit by R&M

#2946 2 years ago

Yeah but look who made it/negotiated. Id like to give spooky more credit at this point. Im not looking for looping video but meaningful clips that represent the entire movie. This game could be amazing all around (Shots, layout, theme integration, clips, art etc..)

Quoted from Agent_Hero:

I doubt there are more than 5 minutes worth of clips in Alien. They’re all just a few seconds worth of transitions or game mode/mood setup. I also doubt Fox was super carefree with their license. Also, clips of the actual Xenomorph? Maybe two or three total clips.

Also - do you still have my old demo man? Regretted getting rid of that one

#2947 2 years ago

Maybe I'm biased, but I just don't think clips make or break a game.

I want a pinball machine with good rules and goals, peppered with enough flavor of the IP to set a tone.
I do not want a pinball-sized DVD player to show me the entire movie.

Also, I find "full clips" (Star Wars, RM etc) get old quickly and I end up skipping them every time.

Just me.

#2948 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Maybe I'm biased, but I just don't think clips make or break a game.
I want a pinball machine with good rules and goals, peppered with enough flavor of the IP to set a tone.
I do not want a pinball-sized DVD player to show me the entire movie.
Also, I find "full clips" (Star Wars, RM etc) get old quickly and I end up skipping them every time.
Just me.

What do you know? You love pirates. As do I.

#2949 2 years ago

All I am hoping for is a nice balance. Yeah I don't need to see the whole film on loop - just some cool key snippets every now and then. 19 sounds pretty solid so far. I do like the animations - just hope to see a little more substance and variety to them. I think they pay a nice homage to the film and will fit it nicely once tweaked. The more the better IMO. Spookys' gonna take care of us.

#2950 2 years ago

Maybe I need to rewatch Halloween as it’s been a few years, but most of the scenes I can remember are very long and drawn out. It’s a masterclass of filmmaking in slowly building up tension. There’s not a lot of action that fits the needs of a pinball machine, so I get why they took the approach of original animations with a sprinkling of movie clips where stuff actually happens. There being a total of two good minutes worth of short clips sounds about right.

The LCD screen is simultaneously the best and worst thing to happen to pinball machines.

I watched the stream with the animator and didn’t find it cringe like others. Maybe a bit dismissive of some criticism in a way that reflects poorly, but it was interesting to hear him talk about needing a game in possession to really understand what scenes worked and didn’t, how some are too long or repetitive, etc.

Someone brought up an excellent point about the disparity in art styles between some of them, which is constructive criticism in my opinion. I also think it’s constructive when people show what short movie clips they want to see running during modes or at the beginning/end. It’s definitely a challenge for the programmer and video editor to figure out ways to properly loop them and advance them during modes, especially since modes don’t seem to time out.

Maybe some of the original animations can have more variations as you progress through modes to keep them a little fresher. The LCD is mostly for onlookers and they’re not visually interesting for long. For example, where Michael is in the back of the car waiving a knife: maybe he doesn’t show up in the backseat until you hit a mode shot, then another he starts to waive the knife around, then the girl notices and reacts, and speed up the slashing motions as shot progress is made.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
North Aurora, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinned Out Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
O'fallon, MO
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 63.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 210.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Monson, MA
Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Charlotte, NC
$ 49.99
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,090 posts in this topic. You are on page 59 of 82.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-halloween-babysitters-welcome/page/59?hl=chief_g and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.