(Topic ID: 296256)

Spooky HALLOWEEN hype thread. Babysitters welcome.

By coasterguy

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,090 posts
  • 430 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by Gunner007
  • Topic is favorited by 111 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

utramanpinplastic (resized).png
IMG_0421 (resized).JPG
IMG_0425 (resized).JPG
IMG_0426 (resized).JPG
IMG_0417 (resized).JPG
20220928_203503 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220512_182215 (resized).jpg
true level (resized).png
20220215_183140 (resized).jpg
20220214_203712 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220215_010617367 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220207_174230157 (resized).jpg
C6475CC4-E878-472F-9A3B-DDF806FA4F44 (resized).jpeg
C91EC225-85D7-42B7-A84A-019E59ABF9CF (resized).jpeg
IMG_20220209_222110.jpg
IMG_20220209_222153.jpg
There are 4,090 posts in this topic. You are on page 57 of 82.
#2801 2 years ago

As far as video is concerned. . .

This Final trailer just dropped and it looks amazing. . . it might not be the video assets we asked for, but might be what we need to hold us over for right now. . .

#2802 2 years ago
Quoted from freakyvideoguy:

Except it doesn't on Ultraman either
[quoted image][quoted image]

What am I missing here?

#2803 2 years ago

Except it doesn't on Ultraman either
[quoted image][quoted image]

What do you think isn't lined up? I don't see anything wrong

#2804 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

What do you think isn't lined up? I don't see anything wrong

its less obvious but same flaw, light dosnt fill the window

#2805 2 years ago
Quoted from CrisCrow:

its less obvious but same flaw, light dosnt fill the window

Eh. That's forgivable. The text for the insert is at least inside the insert.

Probably not as noticeable in person either. The camera really picks up where the LEDs are.

#2806 2 years ago

Yes, I deleted the post because I realized it was more to do the the leds then the insert lining up.

Quoted from TreyBo69:

Eh. That's forgivable. The text for the insert is at least inside the insert.
Probably not as noticeable in person either. The camera really picks up where the LEDs are.

#2807 2 years ago

Yes, I deleted the post because I realized it was more to do the the leds then the insert lining up.

Yeah I can see how that can be a minor annoyance.

Maybe Spooky can add another LED there. They could possibly replace the single lamp LED board there with a board containing two LEDs sharing the same lamp data. Or they could add another single insert LED board into the serial chain, but they'd have to redo the addressing of all the boards downstream in the chain (and would make fixing the games already out in the wild a serious PITA for a very minor problem)

Maybe a modder could make a replacement lamp board for those inserts for those that care.

Much easier to deal with than the artwork

#2808 2 years ago

I havent been worried at all. Fully understand its early code and have confidence in Spooky.

BUT!

That half baked Animators stream is Condemning. And if hes the guy in charge of the animations Spooky Should fire that guy off the project.

#2809 2 years ago

One more preliminary nitpick is the general cohesiveness of the playfield/cab art and what's displayed on the screen.

Take a look at the art style of these 2 frames.

One clearly exhibits the design characteristics of the cabinet/playfield. The other is stylistically disconnected. Both have their merits, but my vote would be to pick one look and stick with it for illustration.

Avengers may have had a bit of an animatic vibe to it, but generally worked because the overall look was consistent.

Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 2.20.23 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-09-20 at 2.20.23 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-09-20 at 2.20.37 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-09-20 at 2.20.37 PM (resized).png
#2810 2 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31: That half baked Animators stream is Condemning. And if hes the guy in charge of the animations Spooky Should fire that guy off the project.

Glad I resisted the urge to watch This stream. Sounds like the things he said we out of line with the rest of Spooky and their company values / service mindset. I’ve been beyond impressed with the direct service I’ve received from Spooky and really appreciate their ongoing engagement in this forum… to the point that I’m really only interested in buying their pins now.

I empathize that it would be hard to take hearing that many don’t like his animation work on this game so far. (Especially when it’s obvious that he cares so much about this being great.) However, he really should remember that he is now representing more than himself here. It would be a shame to have such a great company’s reputation tarnished over a bruised ego.

#2811 2 years ago

AIQ also worked because it is based on the comic not the movie - regardless I personally do not like AIQ animations. I still don’t see the connection considering Halloween is a movie based pin.

For sure they look different good call out with screen shots.

Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

One more preliminary nitpick is the general cohesiveness of the playfield/cab art and what's displayed on the screen.
One clearly exhibits the design characteristics of the cabinet/playfield. The other is stylistically disconnected. Both have their merits, but my vote would be to pick one look and stick with it for illustration.
Avengers may have had a bit of an animatic vibe to it, but generally worked because the overall look was consistent.[quoted image][quoted image]

#2812 2 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

AIQ also worked because it is based on the comic not the movie - regardless I personally do not like AIQ animations. I still don’t see the connection considering Halloween is a movie based pin.

Agreed, the animation was lacking in AIQ. But the overall look came off like it was one artist's vision vs. a mashup of different styles, hence the comparison.

Also agree that the comic vibe is out of place for Halloween. I hope the license holder can be persuaded to rethink the decision to minimize clips to drive the narrative. This is basically the Citizen Kane of horror films! What made the Big Lebowski pinball so hot? You guessed it: copious amounts of clips from a much-loved cult-classic movie.

#2813 2 years ago

Agreed, the animation was lacking in AIQ. But the overall look came off like it was one artist's vision vs. a mashup of different styles, hence the comparison.
Also agree that the comic vibe is out of place for Halloween. I hope the license holder can be persuaded to rethink the decision to minimize clips to drive the narrative. This is basically the Citizen Kane of horror films! What made the Big Lebowski pinball so hot? You guess it: copious amounts of clips from the film.

I cannot agree more. Watching that animation with the hand at the car window was terrible imo. The greater amount of clips from the movie the better this pin will be, period. I totally understand the thought process of earning movie clips by completing modes but I want non stop integrated movie/game experience from the moment I press the start button. Why not make it as bad ass as possible???

#2814 2 years ago

Not sure everyone is getting why that animation is on the screen so long. It sits there til you make the shot it is telling you to hit. So the longer it takes to hit it, the longer it will be there.
Unless I'm seeing something wrong.

#2815 2 years ago

Ah yes I see agreed we are definitely on the same page.. good observation!

Also agree that the comic vibe is out of place for Halloween. I hope the license holder can be persuaded to rethink the decision to minimize clips to drive the narrative. This is basically the Citizen Kane of horror films! What made the Big Lebowski pinball so hot? You guessed it: copious amounts of clips from a much-loved cult-classic movie.

#2816 2 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

I havent been worried at all. Fully understand its early code and have confidence in Spooky.
BUT!
That half baked Animators stream is Condemning. And if hes the guy in charge of the animations Spooky Should fire that guy off the project.

Honestly was fine with animations not being great yet assuming they'd be adding video clips as things progress. Yeah maybe not fair to say but first impression on him was not good. Might be a great dude I don't know, but that did not come across well.

#2817 2 years ago
Quoted from K9Marshal:

I totally understand the thought process of earning movie clips by completing modes but I want non stop integrated movie/game experience from the moment I press the start button. Why not make it as bad ass as possible???

Yup, if each mode was treated like a film it would have a beginning, middle, and ending. A clip for intro and outro with interactive animation that evolves as you progress through the mode would be ideal. If the clips were bookended with mode start and mode end the player would have time to digest and appreciate them. Flashing a brief clip in the middle of the mode doesn't really tell the story as the player won't see it.

#2818 2 years ago

Good reply from Luke

Yup, if each mode was treated like a film it would have a beginning, middle, and ending. A clip for intro and outro with interactive animation that evolves as you progress through the mode would be ideal. If the clips were bookended with mode start and mode end the player would have time to digest and appreciate them. Flashing a brief clip in the middle of the mode doesn't really tell the story as the player won't see it.

Agree 110%. Thats one of the things that makes LOTR so cool. You start a mode and get an interesting animation. If you complete a necessary shot, you get rewarded with a new animation, then the original returns. If you complete the mode you are rewarded with a different animation for the completion. Keeps the story flowing.

#2819 2 years ago

Avengers may have had a bit of an animatic vibe to it, but generally worked because the overall look was consistent.[quoted image][quoted image]

I am honestly fine with these overall but mixed around clips etc. I'm not that worried is what it is just thinking wow on on video by the guy.

#2820 2 years ago
Quoted from monitorpop:

Glad I resisted the urge to watch This stream. Sounds like the things he said we out of line with the rest of Spooky and their company values / service mindset. I’ve been beyond impressed with the direct service I’ve received from Spooky and really appreciate their ongoing engagement in this forum… to the point that I’m really only interested in buying their pins now.

SpookyLuke this comment couldn't have hit the nail on the head any better about certain types of communication and who maybe should be and not allowed to make it when they are part of the Spooky team. . .

and since he has access to a Halloween (Collectors Edition) and gained the trust of Spooky and this community. . . maybe Tsskinne would be kind enough to keep us up to date with unofficial/official video of software updates until more are out in the wild. . . .

#2821 2 years ago

Spooky:

4F4CAE8A-DC03-4A5F-9512-A0187D49F579.gif4F4CAE8A-DC03-4A5F-9512-A0187D49F579.gif

Me:

E32CF079-E32C-4C6B-8544-96ECD9406B9F.gifE32CF079-E32C-4C6B-8544-96ECD9406B9F.gif
#2822 2 years ago

I’m sure I speak for many who are dying to get their hands on their Halloween pin - please please please update everyone on where you are at in regards to shipping out pins on a more consistent basis - just a simple hey guys we are shipping out numbers blah blah blah would be awesome for everyone waiting impatiently lol and would keep the fires burning

#2823 2 years ago

Spooky, just please give us reinforcement for doing things. Bad or good, but especially good. If we make a shot, then we need something special to happen. Either an animation, a callout, a sound, etc. and ideally all three. If the mode is supposed to tell a story than the audio visual experience needs to represent it.

#2824 2 years ago

I found this on Etsy. I thought the topper looked fine, but thought I’d see how this looked. It’s made out of wood, so could be painted. I just drilled a hole in it and mounted it to the metal plate with Velcro.

#2825 2 years ago

Just saw this on Facebook and bought it. Why do you need to drill a hole? To accommodate the knife?

Quoted from dnapac:

I found this on Etsy. I thought the topper looked fine, but thought I’d see how this looked. It’s made out of wood, so could be painted. I just drilled a hole in it and mounted it to the metal plate with Velcro.

#2826 2 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

Just saw this on Facebook and bought it. Why do you need to drill a hole? To accommodate the knife?

The knife is mounted on a motor post…the motor is horizontal. So remove the knife (a tiny Allen wrench) slide the post through the hole you drilled. Attached the wood Michael on the metal plate, reattach the knife/hand with that one wrench and you’re good to go. Make sure the hole is big enough for the post to prevent binding, and when you reinstall the hand/knife, make sure the Allen screw is tightened on the flat part of the post…or you can’t get it tight and the hand/knife falls off the post.

#2827 2 years ago

Nice addition. I think it fills in quite nicely.

#2828 2 years ago
Quoted from Porkfritter:

SpookyLuke this comment couldn't have hit the nail on the head any better about certain types of communication and who maybe should be and not allowed to make it when they are part of the Spooky team. . .
and since he has access to a Halloween (Collectors Edition) and gained the trust of Spooky and this community. . . maybe Tsskinne would be kind enough to keep us up to date with unofficial/official video of software updates until more are out in the wild. . . .

Hey guys I can't really keep people from streaming the game but I will say this was in no way shape or form a spooky planned or a spooky stream. I fully understand where you guys are coming from. This was his personal channel with his personal game. No different than Tskinne streaming his.

#2829 2 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Not too shabby! Painless install and adds a nice touch. Just ordered one.

I’ve decided it’s too much of a dream theme for me to dwell on a few issues that I know will just get better over time. They’ve said this since day one. Glad I came back to reality after a slight case of cold feet.

#2830 2 years ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

Not too shabby! Painless install and adds a nice touch. Just ordered one.
I’ve decided it’s too much of a dream theme for me to dwell on a few issues that I know will just get better over time. They’ve said this since day one. Glad I came back to reality after a slight case of cold feet.

You won’t regret it. The physics are spot on. Layout isn’t something you can change. Spooky really got the recipe right on this one. The few nuances there are are definitely something that can be overlooked by how incredible it plays, sounds, looks. Plus, this is such early code.

#2831 2 years ago
Quoted from K9Marshal:

I’m sure I speak for many who are dying to get their hands on their Halloween pin - please please please update everyone on where you are at in regards to shipping out pins on a more consistent basis - just a simple hey guys we are shipping out numbers blah blah blah would be awesome for everyone waiting impatiently lol and would keep the fires burning

6 games per day right now! I threw some updates in the previous halloween thread but the threads move so fast.

#2832 2 years ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

6 games per day right now! I threw some updates in the previous halloween thread but the threads move so fast.

SpookyLuke Any idea when you should be getting to the general public builds 51-1250? I recall hearing that customers should get email for butter 3 week prior to their build. Based on the numbers you have hit already, some public build customers should be coming up very soon

#2833 2 years ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

Awesome Luke!! And appreciate the update. I’m sure we all have liked and follow Spooky’s Facebook page - if it was me I’d be pumped as hell putting up a post every week with a pic of games on their way out to their final destination - maybe the customer can then add pics of them with their new pin / CE number etc - would be a cool interaction between all involved

#2834 2 years ago

I know a few days ago Spooky said they were around 70 built. You all around 100 will probably be getting emails or calls soon. Me not so much.

#2835 2 years ago

I'm still so hyped for this game! Thanks to all who have given us poor folk further down in the queue a sneak peek by uploading vids and impressions. With me being in Australia it's going to be some time before I see mine but I cannot wait.

There is one thing I am curious about that I haven't seen mentioned. For those that have their machines what's the audio quality like? Have to say my last couple of machines (not Spooky) were a little disappointing in the sound department so I had to upgrade with pinwoofers, new speakers etc. Just wondered what the owners thought of the audio quality?

Keep up the excellent work Spooky - this pin looks incredible!

#2836 2 years ago
Quoted from Ty-Arnold:

I know a few days ago Spooky said they were around 70 built. You all around 100 will probably be getting emails or calls soon. Me not so much.

Ty-Arnold Not quite. That is 70 between both games. I am 52 and haven't heard anything.

#2837 2 years ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:With me being in Australia it's going to be some time before I see mine but I cannot wait.

Usually the Aussie games come quicker than you think. Will still be a few months with shipping, but definitely well within the 1st half of production.

#2838 2 years ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

I'm still so hyped for this game! Thanks to all who have given us poor folk further down in the queue a sneak peek by uploading vids and impressions. With me being in Australia it's going to be some time before I see mine but I cannot wait.
There is one thing I am curious about that I haven't seen mentioned. For those that have their machines what's the audio quality like? Have to say my last couple of machines (not Spooky) were a little disappointing in the sound department so I had to upgrade with pinwoofers, new speakers etc. Just wondered what the owners thought of the audio quality?
Keep up the excellent work Spooky - this pin looks incredible!

Spooky has a robust sound system.

You will not be disappointed.

#2839 2 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Spooky has a robust sound system.
You will not be disappointed.

I have only played Spooky games on location and they sound by and far better than the other machines. The bass especially is very solid. I can’t wait to hear one in a home setting.

#2840 2 years ago

I'm not going to tell anyone what to do w their spot or their money. I'm just going to add this...

I've been operating the game for a little less than a week, and the feedback I'm getting from players has been well beyond what I expected, considering the code being so premature. I've been told it's incredibly fun, and that the house upper playfield is one of the best in pinball, for it's rules and flow. the level of return/repeat play I've seen is definitely higher than any previous Spooky title I've operated. People are just loving it. That can of course change with time.

It's my opinion (and I stress "opinion") that anyone bailing out now, especially for a loss on their deposit, is comparable to folks selling a stock out of fear after it crashes, only to watch it go back up without them.

anyway, do what you want with that information.

#2841 2 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

I'm not going to tell anyone what to do w their spot or their money. I'm just going to add this...
I've been operating the game for a little less than a week, and the feedback I'm getting from players has been well beyond what I expected, considering the code being so premature. I've been told it's incredibly fun, and that the house upper playfield is one of the best in pinball, for it's rules and flow. the level of return/repeat play I've seen is definitely higher than any previous Spooky title I've operated. People are just loving it. That can of course change with time.
It's my opinion (and I stress "opinion") that anyone bailing out now, especially for a loss on their deposit, is comparable to folks selling a stock out of fear after it crashes, only to watch it go back up without them.

Great to hear, especially about the love for the upper playfield. It's all about the butt pretzel.

#inbugwetrust #buttpretzel4life

#2842 2 years ago

Good day fellow pinheads. I have one on order and believe in Spooky and this game. I only have one concern and it is about the sound system. My Rick and Morty sound was so awesome, but the bass made the PF glass rattle big time, that became rather annoying quickly. Any inputs? Hopefully that has been remedied for this game.
Thanks, Dave

#2843 2 years ago
Quoted from Chief_G:

Good day fellow pinheads. I have one on order and believe in Spooky and this game. I only have one concern and it is about the sound system. My Rick and Morty sound was so awesome, but the bass made the PF glass rattle big time, that became rather annoying quickly. Any inputs? Hopefully that has been remedied for this game.
Thanks, Dave

You can get some foam tape to put along the sides of the glass.

#2844 2 years ago
Quoted from Chief_G:

Thanks, Dave

Yes, this is the challenge with an epic sound system, and probably why people who upgrade subwoofers put them underneath the cabinets. On ACNC, I had to do a few things to get rid of the rattle. I added felt tape to the glass, added spacers between the cabinet and the subwoofer, and turned down the sub volume. Sounds so good though... Crystal clear and you can feel it.

#2845 2 years ago

Yeah, I tried that on RnM and it worked somewhat, but did not eliminate it. Plus it made removing inserting glass very tight. Probably operator error...
Maybe I just use external sub if I have the same problem. Thanks for the input.

#2846 2 years ago

Epic is correct word for sound system, blows all others away IMO.

#2847 2 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

That upper-upper playfield is what sold me on the game. The figure-eight shots look like a lot of fun, once you get the flow going.

#2848 2 years ago
Quoted from Chief_G:

Epic is correct word for sound system, blows all others away IMO.

great to know. I have a 12" Klipsch Sub waiting for this bad boy.

#2849 2 years ago
Quoted from Chief_G:

Yeah, I tried that on RnM and it worked somewhat, but did not eliminate it. Plus it made removing inserting glass very tight. Probably operator error...
Maybe I just use external sub if I have the same problem. Thanks for the input.

Gotcha. I also put felt under the lockdown bar where it was making contact with the glass. I believe that made a difference. Even with the tape, I had to crank the sub down way down on mine to hit the sweet spot where I had some control over the master volume without having to keep it on 1. Granted, I keep the volume on my games pretty quiet. Still sounds great though

#2850 2 years ago

I haven’t had any problems with glass rattle with Halloween. Yes, ACNC I did and less so on R&M…but not Halloween. And the sound is stellar. Between the built in sub and the shaker motor, people in apartments may have unhappy neighbors

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
North Aurora, IL
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Monson, MA
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nipomo, CA
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hastings, MN
$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinned Out Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,090 posts in this topic. You are on page 57 of 82.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-halloween-babysitters-welcome/page/57?hl=bgwilly31 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.