(Topic ID: 296256)

Spooky HALLOWEEN hype thread. Babysitters welcome.

By coasterguy

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0421 (resized).JPG
IMG_0425 (resized).JPG
IMG_0426 (resized).JPG
IMG_0417 (resized).JPG
20220928_203503 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220512_182215 (resized).jpg
true level (resized).png
20220215_183140 (resized).jpg
20220214_203712 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220215_010617367 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220207_174230157 (resized).jpg
C6475CC4-E878-472F-9A3B-DDF806FA4F44 (resized).jpeg
C91EC225-85D7-42B7-A84A-019E59ABF9CF (resized).jpeg
IMG_20220209_222110.jpg
IMG_20220209_222153.jpg
IMG_20220209_222729__01.jpg

There are 4,089 posts in this topic. You are on page 56 of 82.
#2751 2 years ago

I guess I just have a good memory - and can remember back to when Alice Cooper came out (and numerous other Sterns etc as well …)

With Alice, it was all “his voice sounds shit” and “nothings happening” and “just a picture on the screen”

It took a while, but Alice is a pretty awesome game now.

Same with Guardians, that was all “bobidieeebooboeeee gate” for a long time. Pros were selling for $4000 as people rushed to sell them. Now, try and buy one. They’re still making new ones! Same with Stranger Things.

Etc etc etc.

Point being - have a little patience, it’ll all work out.

If you get your game and don’t like it - sell it on! Always a bunch of buyers out there for completed machines.

rd

#2752 2 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:Streamed actual gameplay today. Uploading to YouTube now. Game shoots really well. Animations are fine to me. Few rules need tweaked, combo exploit should be corrected. Game is tough but fun. Sorry didn’t talk much while playing if people want more explanation and stuff I can do another one sometime soon.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1153482511

That was a really nice stream man! Input was quality as well. We are brainstorming something fun for the Sanitarium while you are in House!

We pulled in the team on Sunday today to address the video assets. We have a concise plan to make them more accessible and at time where you can really watch and take it in! Only a fraction of what we do have has been implemented and we will be requesting more. You will see more than one major update before Halloween! I think part of the issue is that we thought the game was going to be easier and its actually pretty challenging to finish modes. Many of the clips come with finishing modes and major events as they were meant as a reward. Often times you don't see them unless you complete pretty lengthy modes. We have a lot of really cool ideas to alleviate the issue without taking any of the challenge away. Also as suggest we will be adding animations like bloody knives stabbing in etc. Overall I think everything you guys are after is on the agenda it's just going to take more time than we want it to.

As I said I am going to take a look at the insert and see what was intended and what my options are. Ill do my best for you guys.

#2753 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Thanks for doing the stream .Also didn’t know about your place I’m 1 hr away might swing by tomro to play it

Yes go do and give us more feedback. Please

#2754 2 years ago

I really felt there was an issue with movie clips during all those hype appearances on various podcasts early on. Charlie claimed they butted heads with Moustapha Al Akkad’s son about movie clips in the game and stated Akkad had a vision for the game that didn’t include the whole movie running during gameplay. I think whatever Akkad envisioned was a mistake if it didn’t include a healthy selection of lengthy clips.

I got in on my first Spooky game because I love Halloween and I really like the spooky family, but I kinda knew what I was getting into.
Tommy’s stream made it look better. Really respect his opinion on all things pinball.

I guess if the original movie was a series of poorly animated scenes mixed with beautifully painted pictures of the characters cut and pasted in, it would have been a bigger hit.

#2755 2 years ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

That was a really nice stream man! Input was quality as well. We are brainstorming something fun for the Sanitarium while you are in House!
We pulled in the team on Sunday today to address the video assets. We have a concise plan to make them more accessible and at time where you can really watch and take it in! Only a fraction of what we do have has been implemented and we will be requesting more. You will see more than one major update before Halloween! I think part of the issue is that we thought the game was going to be easier and its actually pretty challenging to finish modes. Many of the clips come with finishing modes and major events as they were meant as a reward. Often times you don't see them unless you complete pretty lengthy modes. We have a lot of really cool ideas to alleviate the issue without taking any of the challenge away. Also as suggest we will be adding animations like bloody knives stabbing in etc. Overall I think everything you guys are after is on the agenda it's just going to take more time than we want it to.
As I said I am going to take a look at the insert and see what was intended and what my options are. Ill do my best for you guys.

Appreciate the feedback! Glad to hear.

#2756 2 years ago

LMAO, I almost sold my spot. That stream walked me back off the ledge.
I think in the end it will be a great pin. I need to stay off the forums.

#2757 2 years ago
Quoted from Otto110:

I really felt there was an issue with movie clips during all those hype appearances on various podcasts early on. Charlie claimed they butted heads with Moustapha Al Akkad’s son about movie clips in the game and stated Akkad had a vision for the game that didn’t include the whole movie running during gameplay. I think whatever Akkad envisioned was a mistake if it didn’t include a healthy selection of lengthy clips.
I got in on my first Spooky game because I love Halloween and I really like the spooky family, but I kinda knew what I was getting into.
Tommy’s stream made it look better. Really respect his opinion on all things pinball.
I guess if the original movie was a series of poorly animated scenes mixed with beautifully painted pictures of the characters cut and pasted in, it would have been a bigger hit.

I remember this as well. Charlie specifically said he wanted more video but what they ended up with actually worked even better.

I do think that it’s even more special when the clips are played vs having them looped nonstop but the current code just isn’t balanced yet (much more animation vs video). Good news is that more will be coming. I think if/when they add in more clips, maybe a little longer too and combined them with some improved/enhanced animations (some are good, some are bad and cheap looking), it will be the total package.

#2758 2 years ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

Anybody doubting Spooky’s dedication to this…. Thanks Luke for being able to put up with and respond to us on pinside. I do not think there is another pin company that will take as much interest in a bunch of amateurs telling a company what they want…Thank you Spooky!

#2759 2 years ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

Great response and thanks!! Sure sounds like the team is already in tune. Take your time....

#2760 2 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Most of the comments are about a wasted employee representing the game in pretty much the worst fashion he could have. Everyone has been polite and encouraging with Luke.
War spooky!

I'm on board!

#2761 2 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Streamed actual gameplay today. Uploading to YouTube now. Game shoots really well. Animations are fine to me. Few rules need tweaked, combo exploit should be corrected. Game is tough but fun. Sorry didn’t talk much while playing if people want more explanation and stuff I can do another one sometime soon.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1153482511

Great shots of #14 in action. . . Thanks Tommy!! again, all I can add is that Halloween is not a action/Kung Fu movie, so while it does need movie clips, IMHO they can't just be looped like BM66 or Ultraman or it will get old FAST. . .

Quoted from SpookyLuke:

I hope the assets will be used tastefully during mode starts / qualifiers / failures/ untimely ball drains when appropriate. . . not just as rewards for completions. . .

#2762 2 years ago

#2763 2 years ago

Here is the YouTube link for you non-twitch users. This was the first time I’ve used the camera between the flippers and I didn’t have a tripod with me so it was on a mic stand and part of that was basically making it impossible to nudge with my left hand at all. I’ll try to get back down to bar with a tripod later this week and get some better footage. As SpookyLuke stated I do think the modes are a bit tough. Not in a bad way but in a way they won’t all be completed often. The insert concerns are just unfounded as far as I’m concerned. I think the art looks 100% correct there and what is lit doesn’t bother me personally. Also this machine is not mine it belongs to Porkfritter so please don’t think I’m trying to keep the value on my machine up or alter the values of some other variant of the machine like some others may be. Just giving honest opinion on it. There are things I think need changed in the code but overall I’m happy with the game and find it fun and looking forward to future code updates.

#2764 2 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Here is the YouTube link for you non-twitch users. This was the first time I’ve used the camera between the flippers and I didn’t have a tripod with me so it was on a mic stand and part of that was basically making it impossible to nudge with my left hand at all. I’ll try to get back down to bar with a tripod later this week and get some better footage. As SpookyLuke stated I do think the modes are a bit tough. Not in a bad way but in a way they won’t all be completed often. The insert concerns are just unfounded as far as I’m concerned. I think the art looks 100% correct there and what is lit doesn’t bother me personally. Also this machine is not mine it belongs to Porkfritter so please don’t think I’m trying to keep the value on my machine up or alter the values of some other variant of the machine like some others may be. Just giving honest opinion on it. There are things I think need changed in the code but overall I’m happy with the game and find it fun and looking forward to future code updates.

Thank you so much for posting. This was a great stream. The only thing that has me confused is the drop targets. Why weren't they dropping all the way when you hit them? Noticed many times you had to hit them numerous times as they gradually went down.

#2765 2 years ago
Quoted from fsumassey:

Thank you so much for posting. This was a great stream. The only thing that has me confused is the drop targets. Why weren't they dropping all the way when you hit them? Noticed many times you had to hit them numerous times as they gradually went down.

Yeah I need to lift the playfield and check them out. I suspect they need some minor adjustments but with all my streaming rig set up it would have been about impossible to get the glass off and lift the playfield. I’m planning to go take a look at it tomorrow after work.

00832734-C94A-4A74-881C-2A6955321B3B (resized).jpeg00832734-C94A-4A74-881C-2A6955321B3B (resized).jpeg
#2766 2 years ago

For me it’s less about the time to implement more about knowing the direction - appreciate you hearing all of us and taking it in to consideration. Also hoping the team looks at sharpening the pencil on the animations overall. Thanks

Quoted from SpookyLuke:

#2767 2 years ago

Thankyou for streaming. I appreciate any clips and observations.

Overall my opinion has not changed, its going to be a good fun game.

Only negative I saw was once you get good it looks like you can keep looping that left ramp and scoring big. Apart from that I look forward getting my Spooky.

When do we get to see Bowen get cut loose on either game????

#2768 2 years ago

Another great place to include video assets outside of active playing time is in the return from the two upper playfields, into the subway and return to the flippers. Also, in attract mode or the scoop shots during return time. Would love to see clips shown at start of mode, when hitting lit shots in the mode as well as longer clips for completion as an award. I have faith that the developing code will make this game feel much more dynamic than it is at current version. Also…I hope there is a schoolyard bully hurry up mode in the works. :School bell rings like an alarm: “he’s gonna get you he’s gonna get you he’s gonna get you” shoot the scoop to collect decreasing jackpot and various mystery awards. Best mystery’s awarded for quick completion.

#2769 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Another great place to include video assets outside of active playing time is in the return from the two upper playfields, into the subway and return to the flippers. Also, in attract mode or the scoop shots during return time. Would love to see clips shown at start of mode, when hitting lit shots in the mode as well as longer clips for completion as an award. I have faith that the developing code will make this game feel much more dynamic than it is at current version. Also…I hope there is a schoolyard bully hurry up mode in the works. :School bell rings like an alarm: “he’s gonna get you he’s gonna get you he’s gonna get you” shoot the scoop to collect decreasing jackpot and various mystery awards. Best mystery’s awarded for quick completion.

I hate to keep referencing other titles, but clips at the start of modes in Alien really helped with immersion and setting the mood. Start the mode "that thing's gonna eat through the <gosh darn> wall". Fail the mode "here's your pen back". I only watched the two Alien movies once, but short clips like those were enough to get me immersed into the Alien setting and serve as quick transitions.

#2770 2 years ago

Not that anyone asked me, but IMO Elvira’s House of Horrors has the absolute best asset integration of any title, ever. The movie clips and new video of Elvira are so well tied together, it’s like watching an episode of Movie Macabre. Halloween is going for a different experience it seems, but the same types of assets still apply. The sound stings and snips of the score really help set the mood

#2771 2 years ago

Omg Pinside….

BEB8DA95-5D9B-4D6A-8168-FBA9E0AC945F.gifBEB8DA95-5D9B-4D6A-8168-FBA9E0AC945F.gif
#2772 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Omg Pinside….[quoted image]

CHILL Flasher?

#2773 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Man that would be AMAZING with them bullying him and show where the one boy runs into Michael and que the music. Could be such a moment in pinball.

#2774 2 years ago

How about play the whole movie in attract mode?

#2775 2 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

I hate to keep referencing other titles, but clips at the start of modes in Alien really helped with immersion and setting the mood. Start the mode "that thing's gonna eat through the <gosh darn> wall". Fail the mode "here's your pen back". I only watched the two Alien movies once, but short clips like those were enough to get me immersed into the Alien setting and serve as quick transitions.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Not that anyone asked me, but IMO Elvira’s House of Horrors has the absolute best asset integration of any title, ever. The movie clips and new video of Elvira are so well tied together, it’s like watching an episode of Movie Macabre. Halloween is going for a different experience it seems, but the same types of assets still apply. The sound stings and snips of the score really help set the mood

Alien is really more the comp for how this game could/should set the mood with the video clips.

I still have concerns about how well Halloween translates to pinball given how little actually happens in the movie. But if the modes are inspired by movie events, then I would think the clips should set the stage for the upcoming mode, to create whatever mood. During and between modes is where the game will rely on the animations to carry the visual interest, which actually gives them so much more flexibility. They can include illustrated interpretations of movie stuff, even if the movie doesn't contain the shot they want. There's an animation looking over Michael's shoulder next to the hedge that does this now. Shots like that and the lightning outside the house actually look pretty cool, although repetitive.

The problem with most of the other animations (aside from being really repetitive) is that they're SO hokey. Decapitated Michael head bobbing around in the back seat with a dismembered floating hand? Come on. Same deal with the hand through the window, etc.

Not trying to shit on anyone's work, but you could literally import a few PNGs and create this level of animation in PowerPoint. If they can't come up with a better way to animate these, I'd rather see static illustrations than the bobbing and weaving clipart approach.

#2776 2 years ago

I really hope Spooky is reading this exact point. Sounds certain they will address the movie clips. I'm curious if they actually like this and if it was their direction.

Quoted from Cheeks:

The problem with most of the other animations (aside from being really repetitive) is that they're SO hokey. Decapitated Michael head bobbing around in the back seat with a dismembered floating hand? Come on. Same deal with the hand through the window, etc.
Not trying to shit on anyone's work, but you could literally import a few PNGs and create this level of animation in PowerPoint. If they can't come up with a better way to animate these, I'd rather see static illustrations than the bobbing and weaving clipart approach.

#2777 2 years ago

How many movie clips did Jurassic park have? Isn’t it a high ranking pinball? Take that chili pill posted above and let things play out.

#2778 2 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

How many movie clips did Jurassic park have? Isn’t it a high ranking pinball? Take that chili pill posted above and let things play out.

At least stern told us there were no clips before they sold 1250 of them

#2779 2 years ago

So again, if you have been paying attention you would realize that Spooky basically has the entire films assets to pull from and so far 19 have been approved by the licensor but very few have been implemented in the current .v This game will have tons of clips in it by the end of the year and a huge code update is coming in October (that I hope shits up all the panicky naysayers and shit talkers in here TBH) There is nothing that Spooky has to “admit” of ALL of the companies that design pins Spooky is the most upfront and transparent. They deserve respect in this regard.

Quoted from nicoy3k:

At least stern told us there were no clips before they sold 1250 of them

#2780 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

So again, if you have been paying attention you would realize that Spooky basically has the entire films assets to pull from and so far 19 have been approved by the licensor but very few have been implemented in the current .v This game will have tons of clips in it by the end of the year and a huge code update is coming in October (that I hope shits up all the panicky naysayers and shit talkers in here TBH) There is nothing that Spooky has to “admit” of ALL of the companies that design pins Spooky is the most upfront and transparent. They deserve respect in this regard.

Hope you are right…

#2781 2 years ago

I think this game was rushed.

I think it is pretty obvious that Ultraman was the original game design and Halloween was rushed to be integrated on the same playfield.

Maybe Halloween should of been left to bake in the oven before it was released.

#2782 2 years ago

Is this the man bun thread?

#2783 2 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

If you have a spot sell it, I’m sure Spooky won’t miss you. Sure beats crying on a thread like an entitled little pinball queen. Watch the movie and imagine yourself playing pinball if that makes you feel better.
blockquote cite="#6508204">At least stern told us there were no clips before they sold 1250 of them

Don't be so defensive. I see no problem with people voicing their concerns in a civilized manner.

#2784 2 years ago

Your right

blockquote cite="#6508300">Don't be so defensive. I see no problem with people voicing their concerns in a civilized manner.

#2785 2 years ago

The current Halloween animations line up with the other work in his portfolio:
http://cargocollective.com/latenightweeknight/filter/motion

Love it or hate it… seems like his style/capability is more motion of static assets than full blown animation like Rick and Morty or Jurassic Park. I wouldn’t count on the style of the animation changing unless Spooky enlists somebody else to help.

Quoted from Cheeks:

Quoted from nicoy3k:

Hope you are right…

#2786 2 years ago

Serious question, what exactly would indicate that they would lie? I based my previous comment on all of the things that Bug / Charlie assured us was true. I trust this small company far more than I do any of the larger manufacturers. They are consistently providing the most excellent customer service and tech support in the business and they have not told a single tall tale in their entire history. You’re slagging them off like they’re Deeproot. I think they deserve a bit more trust and respect.

Quoted from nicoy3k:

Hope you are right…

#2787 2 years ago

Let's all try to remember that the game is still being developed, and is VERY early on. Yes, some have been shipped, but it was very clear that they were to certain insiders close to the team, and for all practical purposes are beta units. Everything we have seen should be considered preliminary. I'm not expecting everything to be fleshed out by the time the "general public" games start shipping, but I'm sure we will see strides being made. I wouldn't expect anything to be "final" for a year or so...just like darn near every game released by every manufacturer. I totally get offering feedback and wish-list stuff, but some of the "sky is falling" reactions are a bit over the top.

I really like the style of most of the animations (I also love the AIQ animations, so I should probably be taken with a grain of salt, lol), but of course I also hope for more movie clips, as long as they are well integrated in the game. I totally (ha...TOTALLY) agree with the direction to use them somewhat sparingly for key points in gameplay. I do not want to see scenes simply loop or keep playing in the background like GOTG. I think that is where some well done animations, like many we have already seen, can fill in between and keep the suspense building while giving us key information on what we are doing. I agree not all of the animations so far have been stellar, and they can be repetitive, but that's where I think if we have patience and let them do their thing, we will see many improvements and much more variety added. Let's have a little faith in the team and give them the benefit of the doubt. Now if things look the same a year from now, then I can see the concern. At this point in development, when it's clear the machine is still very much IN development, I think we should cut them some slack.

#inbugwetrust

#2788 2 years ago

Wrong. The game was designed as John Wick. Then Spooky went after the UM and HWN license. The game is not finished so how could you claim that it was”rushed”? the layout / design is very clearly not an issue with these games. It’s the code. UM is coming along quicker because the licensor is easier to deal with. HWN is taking a bit of time because every bit of footage from the film needs to be reviewed and signed off on. It’s pretty normal.

Quoted from Halfwasted:

I think this game was rushed.
I think it is pretty obvious that Ultraman was the original game design and Halloween was rushed to be integrated on the same playfield.
Maybe Halloween should of been left to bake in the oven before it was released.

#2789 2 years ago
Quoted from monitorpop:

Love it or hate it… seems like his style/capability is more motion of static assets than full blown animation like Rick and Morty or Jurassic Park. I wouldn’t count on the style of the animation changing unless Spooky enlists somebody else to help.

Agreed. I'm seeing pretty basic after effects animations with looping wiggler effectors on the rotation of arms etc... and maybe some puppet tool treatments of the pre-existing artwork from the cabinet art from somebody who is clearly passionate about horror but doesn't necessarily have the chops to incorporate traditional cel animation principles nor illustrate new artwork. I'm a motion designer by trade and neither of these skills are in my wheelhouse, so I work with a team when these asks come up and just art direct the 2D/3D animators/illustrators for quality control. In 20 years of doing this I've had no complaints. If I were tasked to do everything on my own there would be a much different outcome LOL.

For Rick and Morty, all Spooky had to do was create a polished user interface to overlay on top of clips from a (beyond massive) team of seasoned broadcast traditional animators. This is why Goodbye Moonmen is super short, that's all they had to work with... the song is much longer, but the episode they pulled scenes from only animated the first 45 seconds. GNR also had the advantage of being able to use a bazillion clips from the Not in This Lifetime tour backdrops, coupled with an AMAZING world-class motion graphics artist who handled all of their previous titles with a super professional flair.

Halloween doesn't have this luxury.

It's certainly a bummer that Spooky is not able to lean into clips from the film more to balance this.

I'm still in and excited, but after seeing like 30 people dump their orders this weekend I think it would serve Spooky's interests to bring in an additional motion designer and illustrator or else nudge the licensor to let them have cart blanche access to the film library. Now that we are seeing 9k pricing the general public expects more, hence the massive sell-off we just saw.

I have zero concerns that Spooky will figure out best steps moving forward, and I can't wait to flip mine when it arrives next year!

#2790 2 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

I'm still in and excited, but after seeing like 30 people dump their orders this weekend I think it would serve Spooky's interests to bring in an additional motion designer and illustrator or else nudge the licensor to let them have cart blanche access to the film library.

I have zero concerns that Spooky will figure out best steps moving forward

#2791 2 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

I really like the style of most of the animations (I also love the AIQ animations, so I should probably be taken with a grain of salt,

Most people bag on AIQ animations, but I think they look fine. They're high quality and simulate animated movement that feels organic. Like the style or not, they're really polished, and personally I think Stern did a good job with them (for what they are).

Any way you cut it, they're next level compared to the floating clipart approach here. I mean, I suppose if this was supposed to be cheesy like EHOH and you took this approach with the Deadheads it might play OK, but that isn't (or at least shouldn't be) the vibe they're going for here.

#2792 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Wrong. The game was designed as John Wick. Then Spooky went after the UM and HWN license. The game is not finished so how could you claim that it was”rushed”? the layout / design is very clearly not an issue with these games. It’s the code. UM is coming along quicker because the licensor is easier to deal with. HWN is taking a bit of time because every bit of footage from the film needs to be reviewed and signed off on. It’s pretty normal.

I still think Ultraman was designed first on the reused John Wick design then.

How else could the insert not line up on Hedge Multiball?

#2793 2 years ago

I'm in till the end. As far as selling preorder spots. Some selling for a profit. Others have reasons why like "new home doesn't support the topper height" etc. Some people bought in to flip and realized the demand wasn't there like RaM. I think some people preorder because they didn't want to miss out and then had buyers remorse. I don't think the majority are selling because they don't like the gameplay videos. I see people sell brand new games all the time with 50 plays on them. These things are like motorcycles and RV's. Some people buy and use the shit out of them. Others buy and park it under a tree to rot for 10 years.

#2794 2 years ago
Quoted from GreenMachine19:

I'm in till the end. As far as selling preorder spots. Some selling for a profit. Others have reasons why like "new home doesn't support the topper height" etc. Some people bought in to flip and realized the demand wasn't there like RaM. I think some people preorder because they didn't want to miss out and then had buyers remorse. I don't think the majority are selling because they don't like the gameplay videos. I see people sell brand new games all the time with 50 plays on them. These things are like motorcycles and RV's. Some people buy and use the shit out of them. Others buy and park it under a tree to rot for 10 years.

I agree .Also do you think with all these companies putting out like 8-10 machines a year combined it will start getting real hard to sell used pins ? Or is there really just that many new people in the hobby ?

#2795 2 years ago

Lets remember that half the fun is letting these guys at Spooky do their thing!!! I am sure that SpookyLuke and team have lots in store for us and maybe, just maybe, some of their ideas will just surprise us and be better than some of our own ideas!!!!

I cant wait to say "Why didn't I think of that!!!!"

Lets all enjoy the ride!!!!

#2796 2 years ago

The demand wasn’t there for R&M either until much later.

Quoted from GreenMachine19:

#2798 2 years ago

Disclaimer, I haven't watched any gameplay except a little bit of the animator's stream, which didn't show much.

Would it be possible to show very quick clips (2-3 sec) or even just stills of associated footage when mode shots are successfully made? At the end, show a little longer clip to signify failure or success? I don't want the whole movie in the game, but use it to drive the story through the modes. That way a person doesn't have to win a mode to see actual Halloween imagery.

Add me to the list of people who weren't impressed with the current custom animations... hoping for improvements and changes here as well.

#2799 2 years ago

For Rick and Morty, all Spooky had to do was create a polished user interface to overlay on top of clips from a (beyond massive) team of seasoned broadcast traditional animators. This is why Goodbye Moonmen is super short, that's all they had to work with... the song is much longer, but the episode they pulled scenes from only animated the first 45 seconds. GNR also had the advantage of being able to use a bazillion clips from the Not in This Lifetime tour backdrops, coupled with an AMAZING world-class motion graphics artist who handled all of their previous titles with a super professional flair. Halloween doesn't have this luxury.

100%. Rick & Morty had such amazing access to clips that blend in perfectly with animated overlays.

That said, I actually like the animations for hedge, where it's the shot from behind Michael's shoulder and the animation for house, whene it's Laurie in the closet. If they can interrupt those with some more frequent clips, I think they will work just fine.

#2800 2 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

100%. Rick & Morty had such amazing access to clips that blend in perfectly with animated overlays.
That said, I actually like the animations for hedge, where it's the shot from behind Michael's shoulder and the animation for house, whene it's Laurie in the closet. If they can interrupt those with some more frequent clips, I think they will work just fine.

Ya, I think those are pretty good. They remind me of the ACNC animation style which I liked a lot.

The ones that I don't care for much in their current form are the hand floating around the car window or the Michael face, and hand floating in the back of the car wouldn't be so bad if they were brief transitional animations, but for the length of time they were on screen it looked pretty hokey.

I'm not too worried, there is actually more present now that I would have thought for the state of the games production. The game itself looks to play well; much smoother shooter than ACNC. I love my ACNC as a big Alice Cooper fan, and the game looks beautiful, but it's very clunky, and has maybe two satisfying shots that are hard to consistently pull off for the average player.

Agree with prior posts that for the most part the people trying to offload their spots alreadt probably weren't all that serious from the start.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
There are 4,089 posts in this topic. You are on page 56 of 82.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-halloween-babysitters-welcome/page/56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.