(Topic ID: 296256)

Spooky HALLOWEEN hype thread. Babysitters welcome.

By coasterguy

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0421 (resized).JPG
IMG_0425 (resized).JPG
IMG_0426 (resized).JPG
IMG_0417 (resized).JPG
20220928_203503 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220512_182215 (resized).jpg
true level (resized).png
20220215_183140 (resized).jpg
20220214_203712 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220215_010617367 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220207_174230157 (resized).jpg
C6475CC4-E878-472F-9A3B-DDF806FA4F44 (resized).jpeg
C91EC225-85D7-42B7-A84A-019E59ABF9CF (resized).jpeg
IMG_20220209_222110.jpg
IMG_20220209_222153.jpg
IMG_20220209_222729__01.jpg

There are 4,089 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 82.
#1651 2 years ago

I wouldn't worry too much about the screen cuts for Halloween or the music. There is a ton of content that can be integrated. I am sure Spooky is dealing with a lot of "opinions" on exactly what should be used where and how many times.

As stated previously Tsubaraya was totally on board with handing the Ultraman reins to Spooky. They've probably been waiting for this for a long time.

The owners of Halloween IP don't want a failure anymore than the rest of us. After the stream I would've probably grabbed one of these if I had not already ordered an Ultraman and had enough clams to do so.

This game is in beta and will be a glorious addition to the Spooky line IMHO, once the red tape is cut through.

#1652 2 years ago

I keep hearing I hope bug does this and bug does that, etc, etc. You know that Fawzma is the programmer right? I assume he is the lead and bug is co-programming but lets give D Fawzma some credit here.

Game Design: Koris Barloff…?
Game Animations: Ryan Policky
Game Code: David Fawzma
Licensing: David “Bunyip” Van Es
Artwork: Jason Edmiston
Rules: Bug Emery and David Fawzma
Engineering: Spooky Luke
Wiring/Nasty Nuts and Bolts: AJ
Custom Music: Matt “Count D” Montgomery
Sculpts: Matt Reister

Now everytime I see I hope bug does this and bug does that, I hope you mention Fawzma too I have great respect for the programmers.

#1653 2 years ago
Quoted from Morinack:

As stated previously Tsubaraya was totally on board with handing the Ultraman reins to Spooky. They've probably been waiting for this for a long time.

Agreed. I'm sure this is why Ultraman is so much further, asset wise. Tsubaraya will hopefully benefit from all the non Japan exposure to the franchise.

#1654 2 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

My guess, and purely a guess, is ones like the car one everyone hates could be a placeholder.

I really can't see them going through all that troubles to draw out a slightly animated comic scene just for a place holder. I could be wrong and really hope I'm wrong as this is one aspect I don't particularly care for. It's like Avengers AIQ with still images with slight animations, the movie footage on a loop would be so much better.

#1655 2 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Stranger Things is one of my favorite games right now, and the atmosphere it builds is one of the big reasons for that.

This is another good example. STh has become great, and it walks the line between cheesy/fun at times and dark/atmospheric at others. I think their choice of lighting colors and brightness levels helps. HWN is just so bright and orange right now that it feels more "trick or treat, smell my feet" than run for your life. But light show colors are easy for them to change if they choose to.

Quoted from Jediturtle:

As for the animations, I really like some of them, but understand the dislike of some of them as well.

I think they are well done, they just aren't "fear inducing" so to speak. I like the AIQ animations too, and these feel similar, also meaning that they aren't really scary. Again, I think a lot of this could be placeholder, so I'm not freaking out about any of it.

#1656 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Hm, that's an interesting take. It didn't really occur to me that's what they could've been going for. Usually fast action in stuff like that isn't really parsed out to quick moving frames like that (at least in my experience) so it kind of eluded me. But now that you mention it........yeah. If that's what they're going for in the animation style, then that car scene makes a lot more sense if it isn't a placeholder. It may have just seemed out of place without seeing more stuff like that in the game. I need to go back and re-watch that half of the stream again.

Check out the animations in Alice Cooper. Similar motion and they turned out great.

#1657 2 years ago
Quoted from RebelGuitars:

Check out the animations in Alice Cooper. Similar motion and they turned out great.

To be honest, I haven't seen any video on ACNC at *all*. I was at TPF when it was there, but the line to play it was so ridiculously long I just went and did other things.

#1658 2 years ago

Possible solution for stabbing house mode music...have the intro low piano notes loop at mode start and the high pitch ‘eek eek eek’ only kick in when the ball is in play on the uppermost playfield. When ball drops down the music goes back to the low piano loop. Additionally, having Count D remix that theme so the game can alternate between both (or create an elongated mix of both would be super cool too). That theme absolutely has to be in the game but should be arranged so that it just doesn’t ‘eek eek eek’ the entire time the mode is lit...which could be...a long ass time haha

#1659 2 years ago

Im with you on this - it has to be the direction they are going in. Movie footage would be so much better with a splash of the scenes.

The difference to me is AIQ IS based on the comic not the movies. HWN is based on the movie not a comic.

Quoted from DeathHimself:

I really can't see them going through all that troubles to draw out a slightly animated comic scene just for a place holder. I could be wrong and really hope I'm wrong as this is one aspect I don't particularly care for. It's like Avengers AIQ with still images with slight animations, the movie footage on a loop would be so much better.

#1660 2 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Agree, just reminds me of Monty Python animation. Maybe it will be better once it’s finished, plus by the looks of what I have seen you need your eyes on the playfield anyway!

#1661 2 years ago
Quoted from RebelGuitars:

Agreed. They look really good on ACNC, more of a comic book approach to the concept, complete with page change animations sort of like the intro to Creepshow if you've seen that. I don't find them inherently comical or off putting (like in Monty Python, e.g.). The style works great in context IMHO.

I could see where some might find the Halloween animation style a little jarring in contrast to a very serious theme, but personally, I like the animation style so far for Halloween. Once they incorporate more movie clips, smooth out some of the transitions, and add some additional animations/tweaks, I'd guess most people will dig it when they're actually standing in front of the machine.

#1662 2 years ago

I think the animations look awesome. You gotta have something on the screen other than movie clips and they are nice and stylized.
I wish I had the ability to have "fear induced" on my from animations.

#1663 2 years ago

Add in the fact that most of us likely won't keep a mode active nearly as long as Dead Flip.
The clips may be EXTERMELY short for some of us.

#1664 2 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Im with you on this - it has to be the direction they are going in. Movie footage would be so much better with a splash of the scenes.
The difference to me is AIQ IS based on the comic not the movies. HWN is based on the movie not a comic.

My concern now is that the Halloween IP owners and approvers are going to be very strict on what and how the IP can be used. Probably not a concern, but it was mentioned they are very "Official" when it comes to licensing.

#1665 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Conal Cochran's automatons/robots were amazing. You don't find out to the end that Ellie Grimbridge was an automaton/robot all along.

LTG : )

I took that a different way when i watched it.

She was captured and then killed and turned into a robot

#1666 2 years ago

I figure if the licensor approved of original clips as well as animations, original callouts as well as soundalikes, original film music as well as new music / remixes, original logo as well as new art...which they have on all counts. Then we have very little to worry about. It would seem to me that the licensor is just slow to clear assets...not withholding.

Funny to me as well that people are dumping HWN spots for UM. I think some will come to regret that decision when HWN gets up to speed code wise. There are still NINETEEN clips that have been cleared and not installed yet for crying out loud. Also, the callouts were not audible due to Deadflips Mobil road setup and everyone is like “NO PJ SOLES?!?! Akkkkkkk!!!” Unreal

Quoted from Roostking:

My concern now is that the Halloween IP owners and approvers are going to be very strict on what and how the IP can be used. Probably not a concern, but it was mentioned they are very "Official" when it comes to licensing.

#1667 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

I figure if the licensor approved of original clips as well as animations, original callouts as well as soundalikes, original film music as well as new music / remixes, original logo as well as new art...which they have on all counts. Then we have very little to worry about. It would seem to me that the licensor is just slow to clear assets...not withholding.
Funny to me as well that people are dumping HWN spots for UM. I think some will come to regret that decision when HWN gets up to speed code wise. There are still NINETEEN clips that have been cleared and not installed yet for crying out loud. Also, the callouts were not audible due to Deadflips Mobil road setup and everyone is like “NO PJ SOLES?!?! Akkkkkkk!!!” Unreal

They still have to clear how they use the approved assets, I’m sure. So, they have to show how they incorporate things into the code and it has to go through a whole approval process, which takes time, as well as them possibly saying, we’d rather you change this. Then Spooky has to change things and send them off for approval again.

#1668 2 years ago

Exactly, unlike UM where it seems they can do whatever they want without a real approval process. And that’s reason UM has more coded at the moment. As always patience pays off. I think HWN is gonna be f’n awesome when it’s complete.

Quoted from spandol:

They still have to clear how they use the approved assets, I’m sure. So, they have to show how they incorporate things into the code and it has to go through a whole approval process, which takes time, as well as them possibly saying, we’d rather you change this. Then Spooky has to change things and send them off for approval again.

#1669 2 years ago

I think it would be cool to add either the sound of Michael Myers breathing (from end of movie when they are showing different locations in the movie), or wind and rustling leaves, to fill some of the sound landscape without the repetitive themes or music. Doesn't have to be all the time, but would be unique and give it a creepy vibe IMO.

#1670 2 years ago
Quoted from jk2171:

I think it would be cool to add either the sound of Michael Myers breathing (from end of movie when they are showing different locations in the movie), or wind and rustling leaves, to fill some of the sound landscape without the repetitive themes or music. Doesn't have to be all the time, but would be unique and give it a creepy vibe IMO.

Just don't be Weapon X.

#1671 2 years ago

anyone else plan on painting or covering up the screw in the middle of the hand on the topper?

#1672 2 years ago
Quoted from jk2171:

This 10000%. I suggested the same earlier to SpookyLuke . Instant terror

#1673 2 years ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

anyone else plan on painting or covering up the screw in the middle of the hand on the topper?

Ya, hoping they do it for us , but until its here I can't decide how to.

#1674 2 years ago
Quoted from jk2171:

+1

#1675 2 years ago

Going to watch the stream again this weekend when I've got more time ( pretty awesome the first go around)

Think a huge hidden plus with this type of lighting horsepower...blackouts, lightning effects, and all sorts of scenes can be added to the vibe..

Deep pulsing red for murders, a blue/white power mix for building/ blinding shock value, etc. This thing could easily bring serious terror to gameplay.

Whole package looks very strong to me!!

#1676 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Going to watch the stream again this weekend when I've got more time ( pretty awesome the first go around)
Think a huge hidden plus with this type of lighting horsepower...blackouts, lightning effects, and all sorts of scenes can be added to the vibe..
Deep pulsing red for murders, a blue/white power mix for pulses/ shock value, etc. This thing could easily bring serious terror to gameplay.
Whole package looks very strong to me!!

Completely agree. If they showed all their cards on the first stream, what would we have to look forward to? Game looks and will be killer!! Watch it with headphones, sooooo much better.

#1677 2 years ago

Speaking of Stranger Things (as others mentioned it a few posts above), I enjoy the "Where's Barb?" mode and think it would be cool if the upper playfields had something similar going on where you're looking for Michael--or if you hit the wrong shot in an unrelated mode while in the upper playfield, he finds you. You, as the ball, then have to get the heck back down to the main level and hit some sequence of shots. If you really want to go all-in with the chase effect, failing to complete the sequence after a set amount of time could shut down the flippers and you're dead, ball drained.

#1678 2 years ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

Going to also somehow blackout the motor cover and whatnot.

#1679 2 years ago

It seems like most people want clips from the source material on the screen most of the time. The fan update to Jurassic Park was awesome but didn’t see the point in doing that to Ninja Turtles. I want to look at unique original art and would rather there be little or no movie clips.(As long as you can still use actors likenesses) If I wanted to watch the movie I would of just watched the movie. I don’t need it playing in bits in front of me on a small screen.

#1680 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Going to also somehow blackout the motor cover and whatnot.

That topper may get a whole molded backbox around it as well...no telling.

Seeing Jack's reaction when it engaged was priceless....definitely caught him off guard...knives, knives....and the clown on side.....I might have to turn the lights up when I play this thing, lol

#1681 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Watch it with headphones, sooooo much better.

Think I shall...

#1682 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

That topper may get a whole molded backbox around it as well...no telling.
Seeing Jack's reaction when it engaged was priceless....definitely caught him off guard...knives, knives....and the clown on side.....I might have to turn the lights up when I play this thing, lol

Did I miss it in the stream? I didn't see it in action.

#1683 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Did I miss it in the stream? I didn't see it in action.

No...we couldn't see it, but he did....

#1684 2 years ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

Yes! Stuff like this always bugs me. On something like a topper that is all visual, more effort should be placed in making it an art piece and not a construction set. There is no reason screws should be visible on the front face.

#1685 2 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

failing to complete the sequence after a set amount of time could shut down the flippers and you're dead, ball drained.

My Operation Thunder does this when you run out of fuel, it does add to the tension but its pretty annoying all the same. Especially for people less skilled.

#1686 2 years ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

Yes! Stuff like this always bugs me. On something like a topper that is all visual, more effort should be placed in making it an art piece and not a construction set. There is no reason screws should be visible on the front face.

Rember, this is a prototype, would not put to much stock in these photos.

#1687 2 years ago

I dont think the topper we have seen is only a prototype.

#1688 2 years ago

Looking for the first game in the wild. Has it been a few weeks yet?

#1689 2 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

I dont think the topper we have seen is only a prototype.

I do.I can't imagine wires will just be hanging off the back when delivered.

#1690 2 years ago

Quick question - Will the stern HD glass fit a spooky pin? I'm assuming it will, but want to make sure. Gotta say I'm Kinda disappointed that the CE doesn't come with a form of HD glass...

#1691 2 years ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

Quick question - Will the stern HD glass fit a spooky pin?

Yes.

LTG : )

#1692 2 years ago

cool - Thank you LTG!

#1693 2 years ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

Quick question - Will the stern HD glass fit a spooky pin? I'm assuming it will, but want to make sure. Gotta say I'm Kinda disappointed that the CE doesn't come with a form of HD glass...

Where would you get it?

#1694 2 years ago
Quoted from icyjones:

Where would you get it?

Any stern distributor will have it. Well, should have it,

#1695 2 years ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

Waste of money. People mistake my clean glass for invisiglass.

#1696 2 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Not really if you have side by side. No comparison. Now ,would I buy invisiglass? No, but I do like it on the machines that came with it.

#1697 2 years ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

I am 100% with you. I don't know of another company that sells CE games without antireflective glass. I also find it a waste and an added expense (especially the shipping) to have to buy a replacement. I have already provided this feedback in the Spooky Feedback/Comments Thread.

#1698 2 years ago

Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Not really if you have side by side. No comparison.

It's VERY dependent on the your set up I think. In my basement there is very little diff'rence you can tell, side by side.
Perhaps in a more lit area with more sunlight/windows happening it would stick out more.
That's what I've always assumed listening to people say "sometimes I reach out becasue i think there's no glass."
I mean I want to believe, but these same folks probably need pinstadiums to see the ball so whom knows

#1699 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It's VERY dependent on the your set up I think. In my basement there is very little diff'rence you can tell, side by side.
Perhaps in a more lit area with more sunlight/windows happening it would stick out more.
That's what I've always assumed listening to people say "sometimes I reach out becasue i think there's no glass."
I mean I want to believe, but these same folks probably need pinstadiums to see the ball so whom knows

Its more the lack of reflection is why people like em so much. But, I won't pay 250+ for it. Cheaper to just dim backbox lights down to 10% during gameplay and have them come back to 100% when game is over .

#1700 2 years ago

Maybe for you… Everyone that has played my machines said they noticed a huge difference.
To each their own. My Halloween is getting the HD treatment guaranteed

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations
Other
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations
Decals
Playfield - Other
Cento Creations
Other
There are 4,089 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 82.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-halloween-babysitters-welcome/page/34?hl=bitternerd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.