69%

(124 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

10D7870F-E80C-4CDE-9AC3-B6450CEFCBB6 (resized).jpeg
butter (resized).png
A87810E7-40E6-40D4-A722-13F01E1C3F82 (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

Just wondering who is in or out for the butter cabinet. It is one of those extras that I lean a little to not purchasing but I have never seen it before. What are the thoughts from people who have seen a game side by side with and without? I am in on an Ultraman CE and the cabinet looks so nice I could be talked into it.

#2 2 years ago

1k for something that can barely be seen in a lineup and does nothing to enhance gameplay?
No thanks, would rather put toward another title...
That being said, im not nearly as wealthy as many members here...

#3 2 years ago

Full CE with extra butter here

I’m a fan of radcals also. I know you don’t look at the art in a lineup but it’s nice that you know you have it .

And I will put it @ the side of my lineup then I see the machine!

#4 2 years ago

I voted no but if I had a unlimited resource why not.

#5 2 years ago

I can comment that it looks awesome however past titles that have butter have not seemed to command extra money on the secondary market. If you turn and burn games probably not worth it. If you buy to keep I would highly consider it - gorgeous!

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

I can comment that it looks awesome however past titles that have butter have not seemed to command extra money on the secondary market. If you turn and burn games probably not worth it. If you buy to keep I would highly consider it - gorgeous!

So I'm definitely gonna get the butter because I'm gonna keep it.

Quoted from cosmokramer:

1k for something that can barely be seen in a lineup and does nothing to enhance gameplay?
No thanks, would rather put toward another title...

And then I reminded myself the laugh I had yesterday about bolted to the floor pinball machines. I had one that went out the front door yesterday. And with that thought I'm back to the original cab.

#7 2 years ago

Maybe someone can sell some laser cut Lexan sheets to apply over standard decals giving you a cheaper Margarine cab.

#8 2 years ago

I think the butter cab looks great but adds an unnecessary level of stress at a $1000. It’s just something that can get scraped, scratched, etc. so easily and poof there goes the $1000.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

Maybe someone can sell some laser cut Lexan sheets to apply over standard decals giving you a cheaper Margarine cab.

"I can't believe it's not butter" cab

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

I think the butter cab looks great but adds an unnecessary level of stress at a $1000. It’s just something that can get scraped, scratched, etc. so easily and poof there goes the $1000.

This is my primary concern. At least if Spooky will sell cabinet decal sets, I can buy an additional set and sit on it in case something happens. I love the look and feel of a cleared cab, but I have this annoying tendency to share my games, ya know? I take them to TPF, and I want to see about doing a launch event for Ultraman when mine shows up with a local arcade a few miles away. All it takes is one over-enthusiastic bro with a tungsten ring on (Oh, wait, this is me...) slapping the side of the thing on the ring and...yeah. I don't typically sit around and baby my games at shows and stuff like that. Pinball is meant to be played, which means nudging and shaking the game. It's just unfortunate that a lot of casual players don't understand where the line is between fair play and machine abuse...

#12 2 years ago

No on the butter cab for me - I’ve spent enough on A CE for now.

#14 2 years ago

Butter it up.

#15 2 years ago

Screened (rather than plastic vinyl) with a glossy protected finish? Yes, please. Beautiful battle scene. Amazing colors. The art is worth extra $1,000. Raise the visor in passing to Matt Frank and anyone else that helped shape the art.

“don’t know what to say, probably the most “quality” cabinet I’ve ever seen. The colors are insanely vibrant and stand out. It’s glossy. Is it worth an extra $1,000? I can’t believe I’m saying this, but yes, it definitely is.” —This Week in Pinball Published on March 22, 2018

A87810E7-40E6-40D4-A722-13F01E1C3F82 (resized).jpegA87810E7-40E6-40D4-A722-13F01E1C3F82 (resized).jpeg

#16 2 years ago

If you can see the sides of the cabinet, I would.

If your machine sits between games in a row of pins, I wouldn't.

It sure is pretty.

LTG : )

#17 2 years ago

Butter one of em-then you can skip on the rest.

#18 2 years ago

I can't justify the cost to myself. And with decals, I can replace myself if one gets damaged. It's nice that they offer the option. I would probably upgrade to a radcal type cabinet if that was offered, but full clear coat, I can't fix myself.

#19 2 years ago

I need to make this decision too.

#20 2 years ago

I rather save the cash so no to butter

#21 2 years ago

Didn’t butter my Alice and ordered Halloween also without.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from the_one:

Didn’t butter my Alice and ordered Halloween also without.

Looking to spend some saved money to modfather or other mod companys to cover the LED stripes soon

#23 2 years ago

Hmm - there are some good arguments on both sides of the fence. I know what some people mean about stressing about scratching the cabinet. I didn't think about that. I know when I have some non-pinball friends help me move games and I am checking every wall and door frame telling them to slow down and watch the walls they look at me like calm down dude.....

#24 2 years ago

The butter's not super fragile in my experience. My 2 yr old whackedy r&m with a tape measure and I couldn't find a mark on it. You definitely get more paranoid about it but it's pretty resilient.

Ohh and the 2yr old has since found a nice home with a couple a few towns over /s

#25 2 years ago

Tough decision I guess if it’s tucked in a lineup like LTG said then maybe it’s not worth it. Maybe if it’s on the end of your lineup or somewhere where both sides are exposed it might make a difference. I’m on the fence and I will need to decide soon as well.

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from Bmanpin:

Tough decision I guess if it’s tucked in a lineup like LTG said then maybe it’s not worth it. Maybe if it’s on the end of your lineup or somewhere where both sides are exposed it might make a difference. I’m on the fence and I will need to decide soon as well.

This will be my second pin, and the way they are laid out at the house, one whole side of the cab will be fully visible.

But then I think PDI glass(and for METLE) and some nice mods. Do I really want to push this past $12,000.... First world problems.

#27 2 years ago

Margarine me up Chuck. I’m in on butter. The feel of smoothness while you’re playing, you can’t resist lowering your hands off of those flipper buttons and rubbing gently in between shots. Sexy distraction.

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

This will be my second pin, and the way they are laid out at the house, one whole side of the cab will be fully visible.
But then I think PDI glass(and for METLE) and some nice mods. Do I really want to push this past $12,000.... First world problems.

Fuck it. It’s your hobby.

#29 2 years ago

I like to play my pinball machines too.

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

“Sir, perhaps I can interest you in the beautiful Parkay option.”

#31 2 years ago
butter (resized).pngbutter (resized).png
#32 2 years ago
#33 2 years ago
Quoted from fnord:

The butter's not super fragile in my experience. My 2 yr old whackedy r&m with a tape measure and I couldn't find a mark on it. You definitely get more paranoid about it but it's pretty resilient.
Ohh and the 2yr old has since found a nice home with a couple a few towns over /s

Take the kid back and sell me your R&M

#34 2 years ago

no, none of my other machines have it so it wouldn’t really fit in

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

That statement reminds of when I was a financial advisor seeing people with huge houses, new BMWs...and no net wealth.

#36 2 years ago
10D7870F-E80C-4CDE-9AC3-B6450CEFCBB6 (resized).jpeg10D7870F-E80C-4CDE-9AC3-B6450CEFCBB6 (resized).jpeg
#37 2 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

That statement reminds of when I was a financial advisor seeing people with huge houses, new BMWs...and no net wealth.

Me neither, thankfully pins hold their value well. If they dropped thousands when it hit the door, Id only have one pin ever ha.

1 week later
#38 2 years ago

I’m also stressing the decision. For me the question is of durability over time. I appreciate the info from @fnord. Anyone else have a buttered machine that can speak to its potential strength/weakness? Also, is Spooky putting spacers behind their legs to prevent cabinet rub? Thanks!

2 weeks later
#39 2 years ago

Is this the same process as the original WOZ cabinets were? Asking because I have one of the original Standard WOZ cabs with the direct screened cabinet and it is gorgeous. If this is the same process, it will sure be hard to pass on the butter, lol.

#40 2 years ago

Butter looks awesome, but I loan out my machines on temporary trades and like taking nice pins to shows to share, so butter is a big no for me just because I end up moving my pins so often.

#41 2 years ago

Since I'm in on HWN, with its muted colors, I'd like to see one before purchasing. If it were UTM. For sure if its HUO.

#42 2 years ago

It doesn't add anymore enjoyment to the game for me, and unless you have butter/non-butter side by side, you will never know what you are missing and will not care at all
Have the standard RM cab, and never have I ever once looked at it and wished I spent a grand more for shinny graphics

1 month later
#43 2 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

…butter have not seemed to command extra money on the secondary market.

This surprises me. Anything that increases rarity in this hobby typically holds or increases value. With only 500 UM, I’m guessing there will be less than 100 butter cabinets. If UM is well regarded (likely IMO based on a dozen or so plays) there will always be some “rich guy” willing to pay top $ for the best.

Spending a grand for shiny cabinet art is ridiculous, but after owning JJP’s with and without Radcals and seeing the UM art, I’m leaning toward saying FI and getting butter.

#44 2 years ago

Jumped on the butter wagon.
I was on the fence but after staring at the kaiju artwork for Ultraman for a while i decided to make enough room on either side of where it will go, to admire it.
I didn't go butter on R&M but don't really regret it as i didn't feel the cabinet artwork was all that intense.
At the end of the day it is all personal opinion and personal finances.
I also don't worry about resale being swayed by it, so i am in for the pure beauty of butter.

#45 2 years ago

I didn't go butter because I'm poor. Buy if you have the money and you want it, then you should get butter. Or you will always wish you did. Get what YOU want.

#46 2 years ago

Ladies & Gentleman..............

There will be butter at this location.

Sitting this machine in full view with no kids, no pets, and please do not bring any of those silly plastic corn cob pokers near the butter.

#47 2 years ago

I’ve bought three spooky titles so far and never even considered the butter can as that’s 1k to put on another game. I’m sure they are nice, but at the end of the day I can’t imagine it makes a big difference.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 19.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 85.00
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

5,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
South Kingstown, RI
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 64.00
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 39.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 45.00
Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 399.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Bent Mods

4,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 65.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Wilkes-barre, PA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-games-to-butter-or-not-to-butter?hl=nicoy3k and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.