(Topic ID: 263158)

Spooky, CGC, and Ben Heck join forces!!!

By Whysnow

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 661 posts
  • 212 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 77 days ago by benheck
  • Topic is favorited by 60 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240204_124026_Firefox.jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    255292C2-32FC-4C04-8CEC-259B38F6FBC2 (resized).jpeg
    45D4568D-CB83-4774-954D-3CE27BCA5057 (resized).png
    WTII.gif
    IMG_20200312_131608 (resized).jpg
    header-2 (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpg
    addams (resized).jpg
    bonga+bonga+_goog (resized).jpg
    my-first-GIF.gif
    shaker (resized).jpg
    TOPPER (resized).jpg
    blob1 (resized).jpg
    982963B6-7C8F-4378-88BD-7B973C91F6BF.gif
    B22587C9-8403-421D-ABD4-57D8CC77463E (resized).jpeg
    There are 661 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 14.
    #501 4 years ago

Kaneda Wonka Twirpy madness mode

#502 4 years ago

I won't provide any clues, sorry Again I'm kind of surprised they announced so early.

But yes, I am intending to make the game mechanically satisfying. Hitting targets just to see something change on an LCD isn't much better than typing on a keyboard.

#503 4 years ago

So it’s going to be a shooting gallery type game. Hit this and something wiggles.

#504 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bonnevil69:

So it’s going to be a shooting gallery type game. Hit this and something wiggles.

"I got my mind set on you..."

#505 4 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

How many people will buy this game just for the heck of it?

I already bought it in the “future” I’m hoping

#506 4 years ago

So you're remaking Circus!

circus (resized).PNGcircus (resized).PNG
    #507 4 years ago

Is Back to the Future a triple A licence?

The only other question, is who has bought the licence?

#508 4 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

I won't provide any clues, sorry .

Fair enough. It was worth a try. Look forward to seeing your pin!

#509 4 years ago

Will there be a time-traveling phone booth?

Rufus?

Station!

9861189A-960A-46DE-B7A0-01BBDF201F5D (resized).jpeg9861189A-960A-46DE-B7A0-01BBDF201F5D (resized).jpeg
    #510 4 years ago

Rumor is there's a R&M VE that uses PROC boards in the works

Heard it's only available outside of Madison Wisconsin

What are the odds?

#511 4 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Rumor is there's a R&M VE that uses PROC boards in the works?

To coincide with the release of Tron VE.

#512 4 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Hitting targets just to see something change on an LCD isn't much better than typing on a keyboard.

Aha! It’s s game about computers! Or keyboards...like Dialed In but a keyboard! PC vs Mac wizard mode. Sounds sweet, hope the code is solid.

#513 4 years ago

If I can live with the theme I’m going to have to buy this since JJP and Stern can’t get their acts together.

#514 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

If I can live with the theme I’m going to have to buy this since JJP and Stern can’t get their acts together.

JJP resolved playfield issues on their second run Wonka’s built in October!

#515 4 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

But if I just happen to get a turd, I’d hate to rely on their customer service. At their prices, I’m not comfortable taking that chance.

#516 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

But if I just happen to get a turd, I’d hate to rely on their customer service. At their prices, I’m not comfortable taking that chance.</blockquote

Customer service is fine if you don’t like JJP pins just buy something else but quit bashing

#517 4 years ago

Only problem I see with relying on P-Roc for all your games is what happens if they stop making them?? Or they double the price over night. I doubt either would happen BUT it could. Far safer to have full control like stern etc...

#518 4 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

Only problem I see with relying on P-Roc for all your games is what happens if they stop making them?? Or they double the price over night. I doubt either would happen BUT it could. Far safer to have full control like stern etc...

One usually doesn’t sign up for supplying parts without some kind of contract, or agreement. That goes both ways. You don’t base a business on a single supplier unless you have some legal protection, like a contract. They can have all kinds of crazy clauses in there to protect their investments. You should have seen the penalty for keeping an airplane grounded due to missing a ship date when we sold aircraft lights to Boeing when I worked at Grimes Aerospace. $150,000.00 a day, per plane grounded. These are called “punitive incentives” and can be placed into any contract. Everyone should take Business Law 101, especially everyone on Pinside

#519 4 years ago

So I'm new to the Spooky discussion here... I'm trying to find some information about Ben - what I'm finding is that:

1) he designed the AMH game, which is fine
    2) he quit Spooky (a company i think he helped found? or was at least involved in the early days)
    3) he used to make youtube videos
    4) he modded some consoles (very creative ideas in that department, but nothing to do with pinball)
    4) he's designed one or two other games which never actually got made

what am i missing here? what's the rest of the story? I think AMH is a fine go at a first pin, but i'm totally missing what the "big deal" is. Are there other games at Spooky or other companies that he helped design?

#520 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

what am i missing here?

He's a great conversationalist.

#521 4 years ago

Hmmmmmmm...

#522 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

He's a great conversationalist.

He occasionally practices law (although not licensed to do so)

#523 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

what am i missing here?

He is a lover of fine New Zealand beer ...

rd

B22587C9-8403-421D-ABD4-57D8CC77463E (resized).jpegB22587C9-8403-421D-ABD4-57D8CC77463E (resized).jpeg
    #524 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

what am i missing here?

Three words: Bill Paxton Pinball! The hype comes from the fact that CGC, Spooky & Ben Heck are joining forces. Sort of like the power rangers. They are cool individually but they really hit it, when they combine power & Megazord up.

I'm sure Ben's My Little Pony Pinball will be great!

#525 4 years ago
    Quoted from Oldgoat:

He occasionally practices law (although not licensed to do so)

I think most who read that RM post where he attacks Ben for that will never forget that.

#526 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

So I'm new to the Spooky discussion here... I'm trying to find some information about Ben - what I'm finding is that:
    1) he designed the AMH game, which is fine
    2) he quit Spooky (a company i think he helped found? or was at least involved in the early days)
    3) he used to make youtube videos
    4) he modded some consoles (very creative ideas in that department, but nothing to do with pinball)
    4) he's designed one or two other games which never actually got made
    what am i missing here? what's the rest of the story? I think AMH is a fine go at a first pin, but i'm totally missing what the "big deal" is. Are there other games at Spooky or other companies that he helped design?

Ben is an all around good dude (and friend)

Ben is in general, a hacker. He has a keen ability to never accept the standard, push the limits, and has both a creative and engineering brain with a can do attitude. Ben understands good pinball design and while AMH may feel a bit garage built (because it was), the design and ideas are great (would love to see one built to todays Spooky build quality). Ben also understands all things gaming and rick v reward to make somehting both challenging and fun.

To me, Ben fits right in line with Elwin and Danesi as "getting it"

I personally have see and played many of his whitewood projects over the years and Ben is full of great ideas.
    While I wont share any of the details, if CGC can properly engineer in a production world some of the toys Ben has created in the past, then we are in for a real treat!

#527 4 years ago

So the consensus seems to be “great promise”, not a proven past history (at least not yet). I’m not trolling, just trying to understand the situation. Cool, well I look forward to the delivery on these big promises!

#528 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

So the consensus seems to be “great promise”, not a proven past history (at least not yet). I’m not trolling, just trying to understand the situation. Cool, well I look forward to the delivery on these big promises!

Yes, great potential. Esp with the team work behind all of this.

Also, I would say there are 3 very proven past histories with Spooky, CGC, and Ben Heck.
    The excitement for me is seeing it all come together.

#529 4 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

And everyone who received a turd received a replacement playfield that they will have to repopulate on their own? I didn’t know that, thanks. I’ll revisit when they release their next title. In the meantime, can’t wait to see what Ben has put together.

#530 4 years ago

Before Spooky, Ben worked together with John Pop.. see the magic girl / jpop thread here on pinside.
    Some info on my blog:
    http://flippersbe.blogspot.com/2020/03/ben-heck-teases-new-title.html?m=1

#531 4 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

He is a lover of fine New Zealand beer ...

Ben is the world's most interesting man.
    He doesn't always design pinball, but when he does, he designs for Spooky.
    Stay flipping my friends.

#532 4 years ago
    Quoted from aeneas:

Before Spooky, Ben worked together with John Pop.. see the magic girl / jpop thread here on pinside.
    Some info on my blog:
    http://flippersbe.blogspot.com/2020/03/ben-heck-teases-new-title.html?m=1

oh god. That's not positive news.

#533 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

oh god. That's not positive news.

Not really he was just one of the many guys JPoop screwed over!

#534 4 years ago

Ben designed a game at Spooky that got shelved. This appears to be a reworking of that game at CGC with Ben doing design and code. The specifics of how much/little Spooky and CGC are working together are unknown at this time.

#535 4 years ago

Rumor is Ben is donating 10 pints of blood to the paint to give the machine extra power.

#536 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

what am i missing here? what's the rest of the story?

Ben is a very creative genius. And a nice person.

LTG : )

#537 4 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Not really he was just one of the many guys JPoop screwed over!

Oh! Gotcha. Ok, comment retracted

#538 4 years ago

No problem I think the best thing that came out of the Jpoop crimes was Zombie Yeti being recognized for the great artist that he is

#539 4 years ago

Well, Meatloaf did vocals on Free For All, so will we finally be getting that new Ted Nugent pinball machine that actually plays his music?

#540 4 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

mechanically satisfying

Since we are all dreaming here... why not...

I'm dreaming for a "Drop Target Bank" (or two or three or four) in the game. (I'm not talking inline drop locks, those don't count)

-mof

#541 4 years ago

Hearing that this game is a year away. Someone jumped the gun a bit on the “teaser”.

#542 4 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Hearing that this game is a year away. Someone jumped the gun a bit on the “teaser”.

lots of time for things to go wrong...

#543 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

lots of time for things to go wrong...

Flip side of that coin. Lots of time to plan out an excellent game and roll-out as opposed to rushing it out earlier sans hardware, code or testing.

#544 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

What is the total cost for a P-roc system as set up in R&M?
    What is the total cost for the system currently used by CGC?
    Currently, this appears to be the only major component of a game that neither company controls themselves.
    At one point I know the Parker board was supposed to have all the functionality of other systems, meet the growing needs of game developers/manufacturers, and striking for a drastic reduction in price.
    Why would these 2 companies not explore this potential alternative and the benefits that could come?

CGC have their own board set. Its beagleboard based which is incredibly cheap. CGC make a lot of stuff other than pinball so maybe good for them, they are also using emulation of which others aren't.

Neil.

#545 4 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

CGC have their own board set. Its beagleboard based which is incredibly cheap. CGC make a lot of stuff other than pinball so maybe good for them, they are also using emulation of which others aren't.
    Neil.

I was surprised as to how effective the beaglebone is, in AFMr.

Its fast and efficient.

#546 4 years ago

Speculation time:

* matrix
    * gremlins
    * aliens (with ripley)
    * my little pony, friendship is magic
    * he-man, masters of the universe

#547 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

I was surprised as to how effective the beaglebone is, in AFMr.
    Its fast and efficient.

got all three remakes and not one of them has had a single_ problem. CGC are smashing it from a reliability POV.

#548 4 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

got all three remakes and not one of them has had a single_ problem. CGC are smashing it from a reliability POV.

For most they did. My friend got stuck with a MMremake that had painfully faded inserts. No it wasn't "overblown" as you've stated before.

Didn't compare to the original or the other IP MM's being shipped.

#549 4 years ago

I hope the Spooky/ Ben Heck/ CGC collaboration has a Spooky playfield. Or at least that CGC gets the special sauce recipe from Spooky.

#550 4 years ago
    Quoted from Extraballz:

I hope the Spooky/ Ben Heck/ CGC collaboration has a Spooky playfield. Or at least that CGC gets the special sauce recipe from Spooky.

The playfields on the three games I have from CGC all rock. I think CGC has been making playfields for decades.

There are 661 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-cgc-and-ben-heck-join-forces/page/11?hl=extraballz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.