harley-quinn-legends-of-the-dark-knight-1_dc-comics_silo (resized).png
tumblr_ndd9vhv4uu1qedb29o1_500.gif
IMG_1836 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1833 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1832 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1125 Great outline of different types of buyers. Posted by mrclean (2 years ago)

Post #6466 First release video Posted by Borygard (2 years ago)

Post #7251 Led strip explanations Posted by SpookyLuke (2 years ago)

Post #9021 Spooky interview on podcast. July 12, 2021 Posted by ZMeny (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4201 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Direct print on cabinet, not a decal

Also clear coated to perfection. My R&M butter cabinet looks nicer than other manufacturers PF's

#4205 2 years ago

Can someone explain the advantage of buying direct (from Spooky) vs. buying from a (remote) distributor? I only have one Spooky game and it was purchased NIB from a local collector. All of my NIB Stern games were purchased from distributors...Stern doesn't do direct sales.

#4299 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Oh it certainly is a theme. It just isn't Beetlejuice or Scooby-Doo.

Thank goodness for ruling those out. Sigh (of relief).

#4743 2 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Mandalorian is a show I really am not a huge fan of, but it’s Star Wars and a blast to play and I will get one. Casual fans will really consider purchasing a Mando or even a Jurassic Park, but Halloween is not a theme casual fans will jump on and buy.

False.

#6204 2 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

I have gone through more than you know son. More of a man than you will ever be my friend. I have Parkinson’s, heart issues, and poor health, I buried three children and served my country. When I was growing up I watched Scooby Doo and other things when I was a kid to escape mentally from a mother who would beat the shit out of me and was also verbally abusive.
We all have themes and movies we loved as a kid and still do that got us through some pretty shitty times. I could call you a psycho for loving to watch movies about a lunatic murdering people. My wife loves and still watches Scooby Doo, so is she a woman child? Your pathetic.

Considering your background and health situation, it should be really easy to not sweat the small stuff! (like "Scooby Doo" as a pinball theme).

Shit, when I read your post I almost had a heart attack!

#7036 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I’m almost sad that Halloween/Ultraman are a twosome.
We all love reveals and tease but this was one on top of the other. No day in the spotlight.
With having the same rules and layout that precludes buying both for most people.
If you are a type that doesn’t like one layout you are out of two pin choices.
I’m not complaining just saying it would have been nice for Ultraman to have its own day in the sun and different layout. Even two similar pins like Metallica and GOTG have various differences and completely different code.

Meh. I love the out-of-the-box approach. Nothing wrong with giving folks a theme choice...don't see the analogy with MET/GOTG.

I'm pretty excited about vibe and artwork of Ultraman. I also LOVE how they are letting US determine the SE/LE/CE mix.

#8803 2 years ago
Quoted from Nightmare:

Forgive me ahead of time but how can this game go on sale to the public if it's already sold out?

Because they do fixed size, fairly small runs. As folks have said in this thread, there are distributors that still have some allocation for resale. What's "sold out" is all games directly sold by Spooky.

#8821 2 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Assuming this small sample size is accurate, I’m surprised that the CEs sold WAY over the 50% mark. Interesting!

I'm not surprised...their pricing and approach (of letting the community decide the mix) make it really attractive.

1 year later
#11334 1 year ago
Quoted from Tyler_Durden:

FYI, Tesla will hold your deposit for 3-5 years and release the entire amount if you decline purchase. Not all companies have to or need to keep such high deposits.

Tesla deposits are not refundable. I don't know where you are getting your information.

#11337 1 year ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

You conveniently ignored the “ all of us who bought into the FOMO are suffering”. Also the statement “don’t preorder until you’ve played the game and/or can pay cash and drive away with it from a Distros warehouse.”
If you preorder anything it’s a gamble. Wait until the code is complete or take your loss and move on. Stern code takes months or years to get polished/ finished.
I’m a long term collector (almost 30 years now). I could care less what resale value is. I’m not a flipper or flavor of the month collector.
If I’m not sure I’ll like a game I don’t buy it until I play it.
If someone is concerned about future value wait and buy used.
Gambling and losing sucks. Next time don’t gamble. Life is full of lessons. Hopefully you learned from what you feel is a mistake.

Yep. Like you, I'm a long term collector (20+years), not a flipper. I sold my UMCE at a loss because I didn't like the game. Big f-ing deal...you win some, you lose some. Unless you go out of your way to buy stupid, you've made money in this hobby over the past 2-3 decades. This idea that every game needs to be awesome and skyrocket in value isn't reality.

#11349 1 year ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Try doing that with a second hand Stern pin.
People love Stern but they don't know what real customer service is like.

Stern service has deteriorated over the past couple decades. Pat and Chas use to provide great customer service. Now Stern hides behind their distributors. Expecting distributors to "earn their money" and provide service isn't an awful idea, but it just doesn't translate to quick turnaround time on parts/issues.

I only have one Spooky game (R&M) and they have always given me great service.

#11353 1 year ago
Quoted from jjga:

Bitching about lost value on pinball machines is the same as hollering that your Fidelity account isn't fun to play. You bought the wrong product for your needs.

If pinball machines depreciated at the same rate as pool tables, this would be a much different hobby.

#11462 1 year ago
Quoted from trecemaneras:

I guess I don’t see what’s constructive about, “make this lone, unique pin more like every other pin from the last 10 years.” It doesn’t need to be a must-have pin for everyone, how boring would that be? Sorry you can’t have the best soundtrack in pinball in some garish, plastic-covered, rampy thing with a 30-page rule set. Move on and buy literally *any* other game from the last 10 years, and it’s already everything you want it to be, and you don’t even have to be in here telling the designer of the game that he did it wrong with his years-long labor of love.

Thank you for the spot-on response!

#11469 1 year ago

That's a bit dramatic. I think some things can be improved, that does not have to take away from what it is or put it down for what it was. By your logic ford would still be making the model A.
This could be the ultimate pinball game for a large base simply for the fact it is not tied to a theme many don't care for.
The proof ultimately is in the sales numbers, why has this not moved 4000 units or even 250.
It's definitely a much cooler game for a guy to own over a TS4!

TNA is a modern spin on an 80's inspired design. Stern's Beatles is similar in spirit, though based on an pre-existing 80's game (Seawitch). People that criticize either game for not having fancy ramps or mechs are missing the point (which includes you, apparently).

Comparisons with ford and "proof" about sales numbers are absurd. Hard for me to believe you've been on Pinside for 8 years. I just glanced at your profile...6.8% up/down ratio. That explains everything...ouch!

#11475 1 year ago

Well if what you say is true and it cannot benefit from any improvements, then I suppose this could be the final production for this title since the unit sales numbers look soft. Not selling out of 250 of such a beloved title can't be good sign for the industry.

ok, I'll go another round The limited number of units and (so called) "soft" sales numbers have NOTHING to do with lack of "improvements". 80's genre games with an original theme aren't the sweet spot for pinball sales. Spooky should be applauded for doing the limited run at all, but it clearly benefits them as well.

As a point of comparison, here is a very high end restoration of a beautiful 80's game that's fairly priced but not selling quickly.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-hep-medusa

No doubt that many new collectors would rather spend 9-10k on one of the more recent big licenses. Just because many of these games are more popular, doesn't mean 80's games should be "improved". I own Centaur and Paragon...2 very cool games. To really appreciate pinball, you need to embrace diversity and not think all games need the same features/mechs to be interesting!

#11498 1 year ago
Quoted from metallik:

haha .. if it ain't selling, it ain't "fairly" priced goes for anything, not just the Medusa.
If it sells within the hour, you probably left money on the table
If it sells after a few days and a bit of negotiation, you got it right.
If it's still sitting after a few weeks, time to rethink the price or just keep it for a while.

In this market, you've got it right. The term "fairly priced" is particularly tough when you talk about a HEP restoration. Even for the hot B/W titles it's tough to get out clean, but with 80's games it's a lot tougher. I'm a fan, but I only have 2 because I prefer the newer/faster games.

2 months later
#11874 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

But one is a personal preference and a polite criticism/request (we're all allowed those), the other kinda implies that the people who made it are lazy.
It's a real bummer, as a creator, to show something and have people immediately find personal complaints to imply you're lazy and not good at your job. I'm trying to be more considerate of people's feelings, not just because I've been on the other side of it myself, but because I've talked to pinball creators who feel like shit when Pinside dumps on them in personal ways. They read what gets said here. Even the people at Stern you never see, not just the companies brave enough to hang in the lion's den like Spooky.

Being respectful/polite is goodness, but feeling like shit because of Pinside feedback? Hopefully professionals (of any kind) aren't that thin skinned. Even though the signal-to-noise might not be ideal, there is usually something to learn from your passionate fans (even if it's sometimes hard to hear).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Woodinville, WA
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Performance Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

€ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Discos Pinball Mod Shop

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

$ 17.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lermods

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Machine - For Sale
Charlotte, NC
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinbald Mods

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 238.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-2021-game-speculation-thread?tu=snaroff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.