harley-quinn-legends-of-the-dark-knight-1_dc-comics_silo (resized).png
tumblr_ndd9vhv4uu1qedb29o1_500.gif
IMG_1836 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1833 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1832 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1125 Great outline of different types of buyers. Posted by mrclean (2 years ago)

Post #6466 First release video Posted by Borygard (2 years ago)

Post #7251 Led strip explanations Posted by SpookyLuke (2 years ago)

Post #9021 Spooky interview on podcast. July 12, 2021 Posted by ZMeny (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinkitten.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4668 2 years ago
Quoted from canea:

What if the entire game was the purge though? Does Michael Myers do anything besides kill people in a stealthy manner? (Not hating on the genre - if this was Friday the 13th my deposit would be down already).

He’s got a sense of humor. He does dress up as a ghost with glasses on the outside of the sheet in one scene. It’s a side-splitter!

867484E0-2657-4B36-939D-294D1C661C09 (resized).jpeg867484E0-2657-4B36-939D-294D1C661C09 (resized).jpeg
#4715 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I can't wait to hear all the great callouts from Mike Myers!

I know, right? Jason’s lines in Friday II and III are hilarious and perfectly timed! You won’t catch Michael or Jason monologing.

#4728 2 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

You mean be a tester?

Testies

#5467 2 years ago
Quoted from djd9617:

Any love for Alice in Wonderland? Could make for a particularly trippy/vibrant theme.

I would personally love to see this title happen. The license was evidently in the hands of Popaduik back in 2013 or so, and there is some hand-drawn art in black and white for that project. I don't know if it went any further than that, perhaps some sketched out art and maybe some early concepts for a playfield. I would assume that license expired, if it was ever acquired at all. I would love to see a JJP version of Alice in Wonderland. That story is so bonkers I would think the game would need alot going on, something like WOZ, but with more ramps.

#5469 2 years ago
Quoted from Mitoska:

Come on spooky..make it gung ho, or Xanadu
[quoted image][quoted image]

Xanadu is bound to happen sooner or later. ONJ in her prime combined with ELO? Rollerskating with Gene Kelly way past his prime?

A place...where nobody dared to go...Xanadu your neon lights will shine...FOR YOU XANADU!

#5470 2 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

No license. Alice is in the public domain.

Cool, even better. No license fees per game. Just need JJP or someone to design it! The white rabbit hole scoop to start modes...Mad Hatter mb mode with magnets scattering balls...Cheshire Cat disappearing and reappearing at various inserts that you have to shoot to catch him...Tweedle Dum and Dee can pop up like trolls in MM...Queen of Hearts wizard mode...

#6271 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Did someone call for Puss?
[quoted image]

TNT made me a custom target decal that looks just like that for my Shrek pin. Very difficult target to reach without taking lots of things off the playfield too!

Also, I agree that Scooby Doo would probably make a pretty good theme for a pin. It’s not super scary, of course, but there are lots of monsters, good characters and tons of cartoon content to work with. I know some people wouldn’t care to see a Scooby pin, but I would be interested. We’ve had Flintstones, Rocky/Bullwinkle, and don’t forget the Jetsons! I’m very stoked for John Carpenter’s Halloween, though. My favorite movie of all time.

#6280 2 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Yeah, the original Halloween is really a good film, and rises above the "slasher" genre. Good cinematography, but's all about building up the tension and suspense. Lot's of Michael stalking Jamie Lee Curtis and her friends, as he slowly closes in on her. He barely kills anyone (maybe 3 deaths?, not counting the sister in the beginning). It's all mood and tension until the end. Very effective, but not very straightforward for a pinball machine.
I struggle to see how they'll pull it off. So in that regard, I'm very curious to see how Spooky will tackle this theme.

I think he killed 5 people in the original Halloween, including his sister in 1963. He kills the 3 “teens” played by 20-somethings plus the owner of the jumpsuit outfit he swaps for his Smith’s Grove whites. In fairness, it’s only implied that he killed the truck driver. We see him briefly laying in the brush, but it’s possible Michael simply found him that way. I think because he’s Michael Myers we tend to assume the worst.

#6411 2 years ago

The second title has got to be Meet the Feebles by Peter Jackson. If you haven’t seen it yet, you’ll wonder what I’m talking about. If you have seen it, you’ll never erase it from your brain!

It’s obscure, that’s for sure. But NOT family friendly. It’s not Meet the Feebles.

#7372 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Not more “fun” more game....more content, more to do, more to explore etc. I’ve said my piece hoping to engage in conversation about it as this is something that buyers tend to get disappointed with after owning a new game for a month or so. Noone wants address the elephant. So yeah, I’ll quit it.

Definitely many people like the deeper content available on modern releases. But some people (like me) really enjoy the depth of 90s era Bally/WMS pins that you can walk up to, have a solid game and have a shot at finishing the game. I have a couple relatively recent pins, like EHOH and GB, both of which are fairly deep, but I have more games with simpler rulesets like MM, AFM, TOTAN, BSD, etc. Those are my favs. So you aren’t wrong about depth, but it’s simply a matter of taste. I’m such a fan of Halloween it won’t matter to me if it’s super shallow. From the art package and unique playfield design, it will be a fantastic collectors item even if the code is somewhat simple. Love the attention to detail I’m seeing in the pics! I hope everyone who wants to buy one gets one.

#7373 2 years ago

You gotta give Spooky props for actually putting a row of hedges on the playfield. I didn’t see that coming. Peek-a-boo Michael mode.

#7531 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Games are named Halloween and Ultraman Kaiju Rumble, right? So abbreviations would be H & UKR, maybe. If Halloween ends up being called H, I will be very happy.

H1? H78? Ween?

#8657 2 years ago
Quoted from prl867:

I am as giddy as a schoolgirl over getting in on a Bloodsucker edition (yes, that’s an obscure reference to IJ & The Last Crusade).
I’m extremely interested in learning about the development of this pin (a “behind the scenes” video would be awesome.
Reason being, I’m curious about a bunch of little things like licensing likeness rights for the actors such as JLC, Pleasence, and even Michael Myers (or perhaps William Shatner, given that the mask is from the 1978 first movie, thank God).
Since Spooky has a pre-existing relationship with Rob Zombie, I was a little surprised (and very much RELIEVED) that it wasn’t going to be based off the Rob Zombie version, as I would have had zero interest in that.
Assuming they worked with Compass, was Akkad’s son involved at all? I know that Moustafa passed away a while ago, but I thought his son retained ownership.
Was Carpenter involved at all?
Having PJ Soles involved is cool. I believe her topless scene was one of the first I ever saw in a movie when I was a youth. Sorry, TMI, I realize.
Finally, and I do apologize in advance for a bit of a minor stern criticism here, but I’m also thrilled that it wasn’t Stern that got this license. Jurassic Park has always bothered me with its uber obvious lack of likeness rights other than Nedry. If you can’t get the principles and do the film justice, then don’t bother (looking at you Data East BTTF).
Yes, I know that JP did just fine in sales despite the lack of likeness assets, but had Stern done that one right, they certainly would have gotten my $8k instead of Spooky.
You can really tell a Stern machine from a JJP. Much like Data East versus Bally Williams. Indiana Jones by Stern versus Pinball Adventure is night and day.
And now Spooky is in that mix, competing with the big boys, and I for one am ecstatic that they went the JJP route versus the Stern route.
Sorry for excessive post. Brevity ain’t my strong point.

My father was never giddy, even when he was a schoolboy.

#8660 2 years ago

With Halloween flying off the rack at record speed, I hope this convinces Spooky to make Friday the 13th. I would guess it’s an equally strong draw for horror fans, maybe stronger. There seems to be more content, with great locations (camp, cabins, lake, woods) and some cool playfield possibilities. Search different cabins, lower pf could be the lake. Pop bumpers could be the woods. Certain modes could dim the lights and use flashers for the thunderstorm from the first movie...do it, Spooky!

#8866 2 years ago
Quoted from SLRage:

How about Children of the Corn!!

Good 80’s flick. Aided considerably by casting John Franklin as Isaac and Courtney Gaines as Malachai. Both of them were perfect in those roles. “Outlander!!!” “He wants you too, Malachai!”

#8868 2 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

I want a Breaking Bad theme game. Think I'll start a pinball company. Anyone know a smooth talking techy guy with a name like Ren Feck that I can team up with? Will pay him double what Spooky would pay.

What about Breaking Away with Dennis Quaid, Dennis Christopher, Jackie Earle Haley, Paul Dooley and P.J. Soles? It’s not spooky, but it’s a well made coming-of-age movie with some fun bike racing and rock quarry diving.

1 week later
#9395 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Congrats, you're an old fogey now.
Just like every generation before you reached old fogey status, and complained about the kids and their music. It's utterly normal to hold up the culture—be it music or movies or anime or whatever else—of your teenage years as the pinnacle. It's what formed your tastes for the most part. There's a reason nostalgia is so powerful of a tool. It sells a lot of pinball machines!
I used to really champion the idea of original themes being something pinball needed. I've basically given up on the idea. It's clear that even the boutique makers like Spooky are better off with licenses. I might not like it, but you can't argue with the results.
I give Spooky a lot of credit for doing Rick and Morty, that wasn't a nostalgia play. And you know what? A lot of people here had never watched it, tried it because of the pin, and had a great time. Because being "new" isn't the same as being "shite".
Just remember, any year or era of music that you love had a ton of garbage come out then too. It's just all been forgotten about, tossed in history's dust bin. Only the stuff with staying power remains.
And in 20 years someone will look back on Demon Slayer the way you look back on Ninja Scroll.
The cycle continues.

I knew I had officially reached Old Fogey status when Spooky announced Rick & Morty, and my reaction was, “who are Rick and Gordy?” It wasn’t that I was not a fan, I had actually never heard of R & M ever. I watch a lot of movies, but never any tv shows or new content. I do love Halloween, my favorite horror movie and holiday! So, yeah. I’m officially old.

#9397 2 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Not a matter of age. Show is intellectually very funny at all ages. I only watched a few years ago cuz a coworker 1/2 my age watched it by accident and told me about it. She had no idea what she was watching but loved it.

No doubt young and older people love that show. I’m only referring to me. I hadn’t heard of it because I’m prone to watching the same movies from the 70’s and 80’s on a loop.

1 week later
#9669 2 years ago

So ordering direct, even 45 mins later after the store crashed, would be the better move to get a game sooner than ordering from a distro in the first 5 mins. That’s puzzling, but you learn new things everyday. My order went thru at 9:07 CST. I figured top 250-300…I was way off. I’m in the 700s. People who ordered 40 mins later from Spooky are ahead. Weird system. At least I’ll know if this pin is a huge hit, a bummer or somewhere in between long before then.

#9672 2 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

As I understand it, the distros have “blocks” of numbers allocated within the build queue. So, yes, you could be way back in that set.
As for direct sales, I think it came down to when the item was placed in the cart and not necessarily based on order number. I say that because I had a CE in my cart in the first few minutes but couldn’t check out for at least 40 minutes due to the processing server crashing.
I ended up with UM #86. I’m sure I would have been in the back of the line if the queue was based on the order number. Not trying to stir the pot - just my observation.
We’ll all get our games but no, I won’t trade you spots

That’s why I jumped over to the distro site, because I could put a game in my cart on Spooky’s site, but it wouldn’t let me check out. I added a pin to my cart in the first 1-2 mins after the launch. I would have stayed had I known it might save me 6 months of waiting for my game. Whatev. I’ll play a friend’s CE and decide if I wanna wait for one.

#9685 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Why would prioritizing direct customers be a weird system? Seems like a common practice.

I was surprised by the number because I emailed the distro in advance and asked what the difference was between buying direct versus buying from the distributor. The reply I got was, “no differences”. So I assumed you could buy from any approved distro, or direct, and all orders would be filed on a first come, first served basis, regardless of the origin of the sale. That’s all.

#9744 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

My order did not go through until 2 hours and 48 minutes after they went on sale. I ordered direct through Spooky. I have seen several people like you who ordered through a distributor within the first 10 minutes who have numbers that are much higher than mine. So yes, ordering direct through Spooky gives you a better chance of having a lower number (I am #184 UM CE)

That's what I found surprising, only because the distro said there were no differences between ordering from them or Spooky. I suppose it's true, if getting game #67 or game #670 makes no difference to you. I'm guessing it matters to lots of buyers, but that's just a guess.

1 week later
#10080 2 years ago

I was very happy to hear the original music and jump scare sounds from the movie in the short fan video. From what I heard, it sounds great! If they pack it with movie content mixed with new animations, it should be awesome. I would have liked to hear the original movie soundbites for callouts, but the game looks good to me so far! Can’t wait for more…

1 week later
#10233 2 years ago

Halloween gameplay looks fun! Playfields look well-designed, challenging and fun and the sound package is spectacular. The game features a nice mix of movie clips and new animations, and I’m happy to hear call outs from the film, including Donald Pleasance, in addition to the voice actor doing DP. Pretty sure I heard the original “have you ever done anything like this before?” when the ball went up to the Smith’s Grove playfield. If correct, that’s awesome! Very encouraging reveals so far! Looks great to me.

2 weeks later
#10342 2 years ago

Halloween III is a terrific guilty pleasure horror flick from the early 80s. It’s actually pretty amazing that a film with a plot to mass murder children on Halloween doesn’t come off as tasteless trash, but it really doesn’t. Only the one annoying kid, Buddy Cupfur’s (or whatever his name is) kid gets the “final processing” onscreen, and he had it comin’. Great atmosphere, music by John Carpenter and villain played perfectly by Dan O’Herlihy (channeling Mr. Burns). And who doesn’t like Tom Atkins? 9 more weeks till Halloween…Halloween…Halloween.

#10344 2 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Fantastic movie with an unfortunate name. Obviously it seemed like a good idea at the time to do the anthology thing with Halloween, but they already shot themselves in the foot by having 2 be about Michael (not complaining....that was a great movie too). Had H3 been named Silver Shamrock or heck even Death Mask, I think it would be looked at differently today. Instead both the main title of Halloween and the subtitle of Season of the Witch make people scratch their heads.

Yeah, Season of the Witch comes from Cochran, the evil toy maker who gives a monologue about some ancient Celtic ritual involving witchcraft. If that’s not weird enough, the plot involves chipping off pieces of…Stonehenge?…to make the killer masks. Might have been smart to make it unrelated to the Myers series, but name recognition and all. A totally new story for Halloween 2 would have been better. I love the original, and I usually watch the sequel every fall, but it’s a pretty lazy step down and simply ramps up the violence and kills.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinned Out Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Concord, NC
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Mooshue's Market

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 80.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 45.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 320.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
La Porte, IN
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Protection
Gameroom Mods

Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinkitten.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-2021-game-speculation-thread?tu=pinkitten and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.