tlsf (resized).jpg
polkaparty (resized).jpg
way2 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1125 Great outline of different types of buyers. Posted by mrclean (5 months ago)

Post #6466 First release video Posted by Borygard (3 months ago)

Post #7251 Led strip explanations Posted by SpookyLuke (3 months ago)

Post #9021 Spooky interview on podcast. July 12, 2021 Posted by ZMeny (3 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 10 months ago

My guess is that we'll see a limited run of 150 TNA 2.0's and then they will see a new property. I would stick with animated themes from here on out since the content lends itself well for use on the LCD display. Live action stuff just doesn't look as good. I think Scooby Doo would be a slam dunk theme, Flintstones also makes a lot of sense since they already worked with the licensor on Jetsons. Futurama, South Park or Archer would also make great Spooky titles. They are in a great position where they can kind of fly under the radar of companies like Stern an JJP with picking the non AAA licenses or themes on the downswing that still have a strong following. I would just try to diversify by alternating between "classic" themes like Scooby Doo and Flintstones and more modern animated themes from Adult Swim or wherever.

#21 10 months ago
Quoted from docquest:

I'm seeing a trend here.
Custom Bruce Campbell callouts would GROOVY!

Unfortunately I think it's common knowledge at this point that Spooky tried to do Evil Dead but the licensing (specifically Bruce Campbell) was too cost prohibitive. It would be a great theme, but I think it's a longshot at this point due to the license restrictions.

I wonder if Stern still has the Beetlejuice license or it expired? I remember hearing that Stern offered that theme to its designers but no one was interested in taking it. That would be another great choice!

6 months later
#4553 3 months ago

Literal killer theme for Spooky! I'm glad they went with this over Nightmare. The soundtrack is going to be incredible.

Anyone know who the lead designer and coder are on this one? I'm assuming that Bowen is on rule design?

#4961 3 months ago

I think the Spooky Fang Club stand-up is our hint for the 2nd theme.

#6420 3 months ago

Does anyone have any guesses on production numbers for the two titles? Maybe 800 Halloween and 200 Ultraman? I think Ultraman could sell out just on rarity alone if that's the case. Im guessing that there will only be one trim level as well on that model due to economies of scale. I'm happy for Spooky and I think Ultraman really helps makes up for them not getting the Toho Godzilla license. I'm excited to see the details for both games Hopefully later today!

#7039 3 months ago
Quoted from rai:

I’m almost sad that Halloween/Ultraman are a twosome.
We all love reveals and tease but this was one on top of the other. No day in the spotlight.
With having the same rules and layout that precludes buying both for most people.
If you are a type that doesn’t like one layout or gameplay you are out of two pin choices.
I’m not complaining just saying it would have been nice for Ultraman to have its own day in the sun and different layout. Even two similar pins like Metallica and GOTG have various differences and completely different code.

I don't think Ultraman is a big enough theme to financially justify a dedicated release. It's through economies of scale that it's even possible that we see it released as a game. Metallica and GOTG are AAA licenses. 95% of the pinball market didn't even know what Ultraman was until it was announced. I still think it will be an instant sellout though because 500 games Worldwide is nothing and people are hungry for new pinball machines!

#7135 3 months ago
Quoted from cait001:

just get Bowen in front of the games for 10 minutes so we can watch

I can't play like Bowen, but I'd be happy to make the hour drive to Spooky this afternoon with a tripod and camera and take some footage

#7139 3 months ago
Quoted from arzoo:

I hope you're right, but I don't see it happening. R&M had a huge fan base and sold out all 750 in about four hours. But I don't see Halloween's fan base as large as is for R&M, plus there's 1250 pins, plus there's an additional 500 for Ultraman which will pull sales from Halloween. Now Ultraman selling out all 500 quickly seems much more likely. Regardless, I'm in for Halloween!

I think the pinball market is way hotter now than it was in December 2019 when Rick and Morty hit the market. There is far more demand than supply for NIB games. I think Ultraman will be the first to sell out, but I expect both games to sell quickly!

#7550 3 months ago

I'm pretty sure when Rick and Morty was released we didn't have any gameplay video to go off of either.-just the launch trailer. If I remember right the first gameplay shown was during that awful Stupid Morning Bullshit show which was a terrible way to see the game played for the first time. It didn't matter to me as I knew I was in based on theme and the team behind it. -I'm pretty sure I'd blind buy any game that Scott Danesi and Eric Priepke are a part of. I'm sure if the game was ready and Spooky had licensing cleared we'd see some gameplay. What we've seen of the game so far looks great! If you're interested I think you just have to trust that Spooky will deliver a great game, which I know they will!

#7966 3 months ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

Distro probably made the choice of models to spread games out throughout the run since all CE made first

That and the deposit money due by the distributor to Spooky varies by model.

#8062 3 months ago

Congrats to Spooky and all the future owners! This is incredible to see. Crazy to think that there will be more Spooky Halloween games made than a mega license game like Stern Beatles. It just shows that hard work and continual improvements pay off! Can't wait to see more on these games and hopefully play one soon.

#8142 3 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

So your Ultraman sales are ahead of Halloween by one? 500 is definitely way too low of an allocation. Knew it when they posted that. But I guess Charlie is a student of "leave them wanting more."

Those numbers are what he has remaining, not sold. The balance of 1250 HW and 500 UM sold out at Spooky around the same time which means that they underestimated demand almost equally for both titles. 1750 games in 3 hours is no joke! If you added up all of the machines that AP, Dutch, Deeproot, Zidware, and Pinball Brothers have manufactured total, It's likely pretty comparable. Spooky gets it done!

#8859 3 months ago
Quoted from cooked71:

You’re right - might have been $1100 - but still a big jump.
Just looked up my invoice - RNM BSE was $7595. Then add coin door/plastics/shaker and it added about $300. So $7895 vs $8995.
Edit: Unless there’s other stuff on UM Ce that wasn’t on Rnm?

It would be around $635 in upgrades to the R&M BSE to make it more equivalent to the current CE in add ons So it's about $860 more. The playfield is more loaded in Halloween/UM to help make up for that. And Halloween has a cooler topper.

Screenshot_20210709-222758_Gmail (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside