harley-quinn-legends-of-the-dark-knight-1_dc-comics_silo (resized).png
tumblr_ndd9vhv4uu1qedb29o1_500.gif
IMG_1836 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1833 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1832 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1125 Great outline of different types of buyers. Posted by mrclean (2 years ago)

Post #6466 First release video Posted by Borygard (2 years ago)

Post #7251 Led strip explanations Posted by SpookyLuke (2 years ago)

Post #9021 Spooky interview on podcast. July 12, 2021 Posted by ZMeny (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider masterblaster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#584 2 years ago

Was sort of hoping for Scooby, but I like what others have said here…original assets from Evil Dead movies would be awesome but I feel like maybe Spooky is realizing a path toward mainstream themes is the way to grow. True horror-based themes can still be somewhat polarizing to the general public. Scooby is about as mainstream as it gets while still retaining just a hint of creepy-ness.
I would be shocked if it would be themed after any of the universal monsters properties. That’s one of those licenses that universal thinks is still worth boatloads of gold even though the general public could care less about the universal monsters. The only time I ever see anything monsters licensed is when I’m at Universal Studios’ theme park.

#587 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

I hope that’s not the case, Spooky hit it BIG with a license that Stern would have NEVER picked up (Rick and Morty) They are a small boutique company with good taste in all things left of center. I hope they continue to make what they love instead of of what they hope the general public likes. If they made twice as many Army of Darkness as RAM it would sell out in under a week. Also, I don’t consider the Evil Dead trilogy as true “horror” it’s campy wacky crazy 80’s horror. It’s like...slapstick horror. Perfect for a pin...funny, spooky, corny, gross, the callouts would be INSANE. I do agree Scooby would be awesome and I’d be pumped for that too, but Army of Darkness is my number 1 dream theme.

If they get Bruce Campbell to do the callouts then they can take my money right now. Here’s hoping!

#616 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

It’s Spooky, they throw in the topper for free.

So….they, like…make enough accessories so that everyone with a machine can get one on their machine? Or have the option to add one to their machine later?
This makes no sense.

2 weeks later
#1535 2 years ago

I think that Halloween could actually be a great sleeper title. Could be some good opportunities for those ‘pinball moments’ to happen in such a title. It’s been too long since I’ve seen the very first movie, but as I recall there was a lot of building suspense throughout the flick…it wasn’t all hack and slash in the beginning. Certainly not a theme for everyone, and I’m definitely not a fan of those types of films but I would certainly give Halloween a chance to win me over.

1 month later
#6830 2 years ago

Congratulations to the Spooky Pinball team. The twin pins look amazing, and I look forward to seeing them in person. Not gonna lie, I was a little bit “meh” when I heard the theme for Halloween but it looks super fun and innovative. Ultraman is a great idea for a theme…unexpected, but great! Kudos to everyone at Spooky. It’s clear you all have been working your tails off, and it’s nice to see the fruits of your labor/passion/obsession.

#7344 2 years ago

Let me preface this comment by saying I love what both Stern and Spooky are doing right now….
If I was a Go-Zillionaire (just like Forest Gump, after he invested in some kind of ‘fruit company’),
I’d buy one Halloween CE and two Ultraman CE’s. One of the Ultraman CE’s would be shipped directly to Stern Pinball Incorporated.
Oh, to be a troll with money. One can dream!

#8229 2 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

I really dig the LED strips. I think I will add that silicone sleeve to them. These are Spooky's answer to JJP's hotrails and Stern's expression lighting.

Agree, I think they look great and fit the theme(s) well.

#8248 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Next time just announce the theme and that they’re ready ,start heading to Benton .Like Sturgis except you can’t bring it home on 2 wheels .Crazed pinheads invading Benton foaming at the mouth .

I’d be all-in for a Spooky Pinball rally in Benton.

#8255 2 years ago
Quoted from TiltingT:

Congrats Spooky team on a successful day.. Drinks are on Charlie!

We should all be buying Charlie a drink. Road trip to Benton…get your asses in the car!!

#8337 2 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I feel more comfortable buying my first Spooky game. The treatment I am getting from Stern these days is like they don’t care.

Glad to hear that you are voting with your dollars, as that’s really the only way to enact change in an industry like this.
I think Stern cares (or at least employs a lot of people who care) but to your point it sounds like they haven’t ramped up their CS department with regard to the increased volume of machines they’re sending out the door. They also rely more heavily on their distribution network to help with customer service, whereas Spooky is more direct. As they continue to grow, if Spooky doesn’t expand their customer service capabilities to match their sales volume then they could find themselves in the same boat. Congratulations on your purchase from Spooky, by the way!

#8338 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

So what's next for Spooky in 2022? My money is on an Army of Darkness/ Scooby Do Combo.

So is the consensus that Spooky will try the twin pin model again? I’d be a little surprised if they do a dual release on the regular, but given the apparent sales success I suppose it’s worth entertaining the thought. In a lot of ways it makes good business sense, particularly if they’re working with themes that they feel are somewhat polarizing to their customer base. I’m guessing that developing two completely different art & color packages was very challenging to manage, but now they’ve established a learning curve with that process. It would be pretty awesome to get two titles at the same time with every new machine release.

9 months later
#10685 2 years ago

So, they’re roughly halfway through the run of the twin games now, does that sound right? Any speculation out there as to when they will announce the next title? This is pretty well a self-serving question…just trying to figure out how much more time I have to save up for a new run of TNA. Doesn’t it make sense for them to follow up the twins with something that Spooky knows is a hit and would be quick to ramp up production? Crank out a few hundred TNA while working on getting things ready to go for the new title?

2 months later
#10933 1 year ago
Quoted from chad:

I want to know as well.

Same. Inquiring minds want to know.
Ready for TNA.

1 month later
#11229 1 year ago
Quoted from Vecna:

-$500/$1000 for IP/License
-$500/$1000 RD
-$1000 Distributers
=6k/7k.
7.5k would be the magic number.

$7.5K is the number I’m willing to pay, and honestly I’d rather have a stripped-down model without any upgrades. They can send the armor/trim and legs in bare metal for all I care. All I want is the game NIB. TNA is my dream theme. It’s really the only other game I feel like I ‘need’ in my very small collection. It’s an awesome game, and maybe I’m just being a cheapskate but I can’t justify the purchase at 9.

#11273 1 year ago

I don’t think we will find the ceiling for NIB pricing in this instance, but it is somewhat encouraging to see people in disagreement about the pricing of this game in particular. It seems like more and more people in general are pushing back (or at least say that they are).
I don’t doubt that the cost of materials and labor (even in Benton, WI) has increased significantly. That being said, it would be naive to think that the folks at Spooky haven’t also looked at the used market and taken those prices into consideration. If used games are selling for 7, 8, 9K…why wouldn’t they try to sell for the same price (or more)?
Spooky will likely make enough profit margin on the games that sell during this run, so if they don’t sell out then at the very least they’ve covered the cost of parts and kept their production line running until the next introduction. Pretty smart!
Does this line of thinking make me feel any better about the $9K price? Absolutely not.

#11351 1 year ago

Spoiler alert, TNA is already sold out.
Sorry.

- Martin S. McFly

#11361 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I meant to say it will be interesting to see if Spooky sells out instantly. Do you guys think Spooky will sell all 250 today?

As long as their website can hold up, I think they will be sold out within the first 60-90 mins.

1 week later
#11536 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I still think The Last Starfighter would be a good theme. I already kind of designed it and part of the ruleset years ago. Do we have lifesize holograms in pinball yet?

+1 for The Last Starfighter.
While we are dreaming, please add KRULL and Clash Of The Titans to the list (the original, not the remake).

7 months later
#12379 1 year ago
Quoted from Pugster:

I know that Elwin did Archer as his home-brew, but man I'd love to see an actual licensed Archer pin, or for that matter Bob's Burgers. Either one would be an insta-buy for me if Spooky was on it, there's so much that could be done with either license and if they got the voice actors involved it would be pinball gold.

Bob’s Burgers for the win! I think it could be a Simpson’s-esqe masterpiece…but I’d be surprised to see Spooky do it.
Not that they couldn’t or wouldn’t, but they seem to be of the ‘been there, done that’ mindset with their themes lately.
They do what they want, have fun with it and then move on to something completely different for the next theme.

2 months later
#12420 10 months ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

I'll say it again... Killer Klowns.

KKFOS would be a great theme! Although it might not do very well on location…SO many people out there with Coulrophobia. Weirdos.

#12476 10 months ago
Quoted from benheck:

I had no idea Princess Bride was this popular.

I think you have to have seen it during your childhood to develop an affinity.
My son loves that movie. He is 16 now, but when he was a little tyke he used to pretend that he was Westley and I was an ROUS chasing him around.
I’ve talked to folks who I was certain would LOVE the movie (people who are into fantasy, D&D, et cetera) and they think the movie is just meh…but they didn’t see it for the first time until they were an adult.
I really think the sentimental connection with The Princess Bride happens when a person is still young (or young at heart).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
South Kingstown, RI
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Performance Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Charlotte, NC
$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

€ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Discos Pinball Mod Shop

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

$ 17.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lermods

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Monson, MA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinbald Mods

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 238.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider masterblaster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-2021-game-speculation-thread?tu=masterblaster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.