harley-quinn-legends-of-the-dark-knight-1_dc-comics_silo (resized).png
tumblr_ndd9vhv4uu1qedb29o1_500.gif
IMG_1836 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1833 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1832 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1125 Great outline of different types of buyers. Posted by mrclean (2 years ago)

Post #6466 First release video Posted by Borygard (2 years ago)

Post #7251 Led strip explanations Posted by SpookyLuke (2 years ago)

Post #9021 Spooky interview on podcast. July 12, 2021 Posted by ZMeny (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fytr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#692 2 years ago

Honestly this fang-club approach just instinctively rubs me the wrong way.

I can see that from Spooky's perspective it gives them way to transition from their earlier policy of giving previous customers first dibs on new releases, which isn't really sustainable in the long term, to a model where they can insert an element of first-come-first serve/luck of the draw to the process and thus insulate themselves somewhat from the inevitable disappointed when games sell-out leaving potential buyers with no game.

But, to me it just feels like extortion. Give us money for some stuff you'll probably just throw away if you want a *chance* to buy our game.

Anyway, it's a free market they can do what they want. I joined last year to get a crack a R&M. Not planning on renewing. I have no room for posters etc. anyway. Maybe a t-shirt or hoodie option would make sense for folks who have no use for collectibles.

#695 2 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Not a fan of spooky pinball? Then don’t join the club

I'm a huge fan of Spooky Pinball - bought 2 of their games sight unseen. Just not a fan of the Fang Club format. And again, the collectables aren't useful to me, a hoody or t-shirt with cool "collectible" art would be more useful to me.

#793 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

LTG : )
[quoted image]

That would be *sick*. So many one-liners. Best pinball theme idea I've heard in ages.

#797 2 years ago

Shit. I'm not much of a horror guy, I mean, I like it in general, but it's not an instant-buy situation at all for me. But a well done Zombieland pin... that could be real trouble for my pocketbook.

#819 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

what is the best way to get a Spooky game when you live in Canada? asking for a friend? lol
Do I still need to order from Spooky direct?

Nitro out of Vancouver area for me.

EDIT> But shipping direct from Spooky would be way cheaper based on your location I suppose. Direct from Spooky is fine too, done it both ways in the past.

#899 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Maybe it's BIBLE ADVENTURES!

I'm with you, I think that a game based on the messed up Old Testament stories could be amazing (and enlightening to some). Terrible branding though, needs to be something like "Wrath of the Vengeful"

Quoted from benheck:

Ah so the game is "stacked" huh? I can see why he'd give that as a clue

So there is an upper playfield, and a lower playfield, but no "playfield" playfield? Am-i-right??

#1000 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

It's not Goonies. God damn Goonies. Does that theme have any appeal outside Gen X? Yeah I know we're the ones buying pins but a zoomer at a bar is gonna be like "Goonies? Like, what the eff is that? Totes not on fleek"

So, you're saying there is a chance...

#1001 2 years ago
Quoted from ripple:

I wonder if the next Spooky pin has green rubber. I ordered a replacement LED for my R&M and it had this green rubber instead of clear rubber.
[quoted image]

Interesting...

With Ben's New Boards (tm) being used in the new game, I'm seriously hoping that Spooky can move away from the individual LED boards on every friggin' insert and go to lightboards like most other manufacturers. I would consider R&M barely manufacturable with all those friggin LED wires running all over the place, blocking access to everything under the PF.

My game even shipped missing one led altogether, I can't say I blame the guys on the line, it's a nightmare (QA is fired, though!).

#1196 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

It’s honestly the only Halloween flick I like. I know that’s blasphemous to some but...I’m a big III fan.

It's the only Halloween movie with a plot, for one thing.

I don't get the appeal of a pinball machine based on Halloween, or Friday the 13th. In both cases the antagonist doesn't talk, so save a bundle on the callout budget there, and there's only one mode "Halloween Massacre" / "Summer Camp Massacre".

#1243 2 years ago
Quoted from stefanmader:

i sense the love for Deeproot is not great here... what have they done?

...very little, as it turns out.

#1293 2 years ago

Haha. Who gives a sh*t what Kaneda thinks it is. I'm calling BULLSHIT.

#1358 2 years ago

Uh oh...

external-content.duckduckgo.com (resized).jpgexternal-content.duckduckgo.com (resized).jpg

external-content.duckduckgo.com (resized).pngexternal-content.duckduckgo.com (resized).png
#1439 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

So the original photo was taken like this? It’s DEFINITELY BEETLEJUICE then haha
[quoted image]

So it's a stone archway/doorway of some kind, with a banner under it, presumably with the name of the game written on it.

#1548 2 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

It's purple, so it must be this!
A campy horror movie - Army of Darkness is my guess now. [quoted image]

Now we're getting somewhere!

#1716 2 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:Me and a couple friends spent the weekend at Spooky Pinball this past weekend.
Damned if they aren't designing a new pinball machine!

Quoted from Betelgeuse:

It's in AMH too, when you squeek a ball in behind the ghost target bank.

Right, that is an homage to the one in Addam's.

#1757 2 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

So is Scooby still a possibility? Kaneda was right about Mandolarian.

Kaneda also predicted Halloween was it. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

#1762 2 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

Kaneda hinted it was SD then said it wasn’t. Then said it was coming again. It’s real easy to pretend you’re right about things when you predict both outcomes. How do people still think he’s an insider?

Oh he's an insider alright, inside his own b*tthole! I'm talking ALL the way up...

#1786 2 years ago
Quoted from Drac:

Just like Rush as a theme, this would be another theme for USA only. I could not ever imagine any demand for such a theme in EU or Australia.
Each to our own..... I'd love Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Rush has a couple albums that cracked the top 10 charts in European countries, and a bunch more in the top 30.

Plus Canada, eh!

#1858 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinash:

Scooby-Doo was the reason I joined the fang club, bummer.

You should sue Kaneda for your club fees + emotional hardship! He must have predicted Scooby somewhere along the way...

#1897 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I think they said they weren't shipping them until June...probably after the announcement.

Actually, I thought they said it would be July or August. ?

#1921 2 years ago

It's Scooby Doo. It's always been Scooby Doo...

2726681079_e2d09c51dc_b (resized).jpg2726681079_e2d09c51dc_b (resized).jpg
#1938 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

I know spooky does not give a sh!t but if they do not spill the beans soon I will just buy DEADPOOL.
come on spooky, this is getting old.

Buy DP anyway, great game and you'll have at least 6 months to wait for the new Spooky game anyway, plenty of time to play DP and then decide what game to sell when your Scooby Doobie game is ready.

#1940 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I was gonna say ... play it, you’ll be done with it before the new Spooky arrives.
Mine lasted 3 months before I got bored with it.
Liked the theme, liked the humour, liked the shots ... but it got old playing the same game over and over.
Plus, multiplayer games would go on forever.
YMMV but that’s my take.
rd

Well it would last a lot longer if it wasn't your only pin...

#1978 2 years ago
Quoted from Tiki-Ed:

I wish they would spend less time posting pics with posters and more time sending out the fang club boxes.

August.

#2130 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Just another [REDACTED] day at Spooky!
[quoted image]

Ben, will the Pinotaur board-set use 50v to power the FL-11629 coils, like the Pinball Gods intended??

#2222 2 years ago
Quoted from oneballjab:

He says that following the expansion Spooky has two lines that will allow them to build two titles simultaneously.
If this turns out to be true then WOW!

Really?

#2364 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Bahahah! You said manufacturer and Deep Root in the same sentence. Best joke of the day!

Definitely an aspirational statement at best.

#2384 2 years ago

Kind of risky marketing move for Spooky to tease popular themes that people would want, and get excited for, and then take them away and offer... ? instead.

The ? better be really good (and somehow better than the themes they teased), or there are going to be bottles thrown.

#2386 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

eh, it's not a big deal. I'm assuming the first pic was really the next pin...and they are just having fun with it. The rest is just our imaginations and desires.

You must be new here. lol.

#2435 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Obsessed:

In case any of you are wondering what you get from Stern for joining their club. You get a plastic cup, a bandana a couple 3D stickers (with 3D glasses that might fit a toddlers face) and a change/token purse?
Yeah, I think Spooky is the winner here!
Here’s a pic;[quoted image]

It's all heading to the same landfill...

#2948 2 years ago

Don't forget Spooky also has to commission their new building/line, probably some hiring involved, etc.

I am thinking they might even have 50 ready to ship to when they announce...

#3090 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Do you think a new non LCD game is too much of an uphill battle to sell? Dots are a lot more simple and Stern stuck with those for Heavy Metal's limited run, which has several other cost cutting measures. But it would definitely look dated in a dealer's showroom.
The remakes can get away with it because they're remakes. I really like how CGC games update the dots with better dots, which seems like a nice sweet spot (similar to a video game remaster, it's what your brain remembers the game looking like).
Haggis needed at least one screen because plain numeric score displays don't cut it anymore. Even the faux-EM games by Stern have a small screen in them.

I recently picked up an AfMR LE and immediately noticed how much more engaging the large dots screen is vs my other new games with LCD displays. There's basically one thing to look at one time, you don't have to trap up to stop and try to find the information you need on the screen, if it's on the screen you see it at a quick glance. Plus the screen is really part of the game, impossible to ignore whereas I rarely look at or even notice my Stern LCD games while actually playing.
JJP is somewhat excepted as their larger screens are easier to glance at, but they tend to stuff them with a million small bits of info anyway.

I kind of feel like the larger sea-of-dots displays are a better answer for pinball.

1 week later
#3371 2 years ago

It sounds like Spooky has been listening, these changes sound like a solid step in the right direction.

Also very impressed that Bug let's his old man hang around his pinball company, very nice of him.

#3377 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Yes coil PWM granularity could better. We are looking at hardware timer (not polled) solutions for the future.
But for now.... We only have to source one microcontroller per machine

How many micro controllers if there are no flippers at all? It's a pinball machine - focus on the flippers.

1 week later
#4649 2 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

It's the only Halloween movie with a plot, for one thing.
I don't get the appeal of a pinball machine based on Halloween, or Friday the 13th. In both cases the antagonist doesn't talk, so save a bundle on the callout budget there, and there's only one mode "Halloween Massacre" / "Summer Camp Massacre".

It will be interesting to see what they can do with it, not an obvious slam-dunk for a pinball theme IMHO. Maybe you play as Mike M. and hunt the innocents?

#6650 2 years ago

Basically a fan layout on the main PF. Nice.

#7375 2 years ago
Quoted from Saltimbanco:

Spooky should reach out to the master, and make sure he'll get an 'Extra' Blood Sucker version of Halloween.. it doesn't need that extra marketing to sell, but I would get a kick out of knowing it's being played by Carpenter himself!
[quoted image]

Wait, doesn't the CE come with a piece of John Carpenter's couch?

...honestly though, it would be *very* cool if you could get John Carpenter's signature on your game.

#8042 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This is great. Bowen is a big asset, I'm sure he's being a great mentor.
But I feel like I want to say one thing: Spooky is a family company. They've always been that way. They don't always do things the way I would, I don't agree with every decision Charlie makes. It's his company though, not mine! And he's clearly shown that his way works.
And you know what? Bug doing the rules is f—ing great, and if people don't like it then maybe just pause for a moment before you start banging on your keyboard. Just think for a second about what you want to say, and who's reading it.
Who here has been around a while? Who's watched this family go from passionate enthusiasts to a success story that sells out their runs in hours? How could you not be stoked for Bug to be doing the rules for a game? Imagine sending him a message through time telling him he'd be doing this 7 years ago.
We can nitpick the small stuff, like Exposed LED Gate, and do the usual backseat driving on this and that. But it would be cool to see more people happy for Bug instead of worrying he's going to somehow screw it all up. I'm sure Charlie is enormously proud of him, and he should be.
My two cent rant.

From what I've seen and heard, Bug is a very impressive young man - the Emery's should be very proud of *all* their accomplishments.
And judging by the quick sales today it's obvious that the pinball community has faith that "Team Spooky" will produce a fantastic game.

Congrats!

#8057 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Fuck aws. Shit is way too expensive.

You have to hedge your investment by buying AMZN stock.

1 month later
#10292 2 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

Anyone else thrown off my the whole "Spooky" branding. I get it fits them, and it was cute when they started out, but I feel like they're a rapidly growing company, and maybe it's time for a rebrand.
Ultraman isn't "spooky", neither is R&M. Feel like they sort of typecast themselves with this name.
Emery Pinball maybe? Just always see that BSD plaque and Ghost on my TNA as a weird eyesore.
Anyhow, that's just the marketing in me coming out.
I like that we have another serious player here to give the big boys some competition. You need that in every industry!

Have you seen the underside of a R&M machine?! It doesn't get any more "spooky" than that!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Grand Haven, MI
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinbald Mods

$ 320.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nipomo, CA
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 60.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinhead mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fytr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-2021-game-speculation-thread?tu=Fytr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.