harley-quinn-legends-of-the-dark-knight-1_dc-comics_silo (resized).png
tumblr_ndd9vhv4uu1qedb29o1_500.gif
IMG_1836 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1833 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1832 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1125 Great outline of different types of buyers. Posted by mrclean (2 years ago)

Post #6466 First release video Posted by Borygard (2 years ago)

Post #7251 Led strip explanations Posted by SpookyLuke (2 years ago)

Post #9021 Spooky interview on podcast. July 12, 2021 Posted by ZMeny (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6924 2 years ago
Quoted from spooky_dj:

Aurich also suggests putting some diffuse heatshrink over them if they're too bright.
And if the majority of people take issue with it, maybe fawzma can drop the brightness a tad? The brightness hasn't bothered any of us at spooky, with that tinted shield in place.

The product I’m suggesting is a silicone sleeve made specifically for LED strips. Though honestly it might be easier to buy new pre-sleeved LEDs and just replace them for home users. They’re clearly very standard strips, it’s an easy solder job.

I don’t mean to sound critical, but exposed LED strips look very homebrew and low rent to my eye. I know it’s easy to say “add a couple bucks to the BOM” but if I were Spooky I’d seriously look into the silicone. The end look is really lovely, think Tron fiber optics instead of bare bulbs and exposed copper strips.

Do a search for “LED neon flex” to see examples of what I’m talking about. Here’s a sign I made for my garage using it, look at this glow versus hot spotted lights.

Anyways just offering a solution, home buyers can certainly do it themselves. Easier than the Tron ramp mod so many of us have done.

52305294-E70D-454A-9E2C-B1BC1E3E5B63 (resized).jpeg52305294-E70D-454A-9E2C-B1BC1E3E5B63 (resized).jpeg

#6931 2 years ago

I’m a big Halloween fan and think the pin looks amazing. Really smart artist choice!

Don’t want my only contribution to this thread to sound negative. Congrats Spooky!

#6956 2 years ago
Quoted from spooky_dj:

Oops! Sorry, didn't mean to misquote you. Speed-reading through all the posts, I guess my mind just interpreted that as heat shrink tubing cuz I'm an electronics nerd :p

No worries, just wanted to make sure it was clear so people could look it up if they cared. Here, since we're still on the topic I'll save people time, this is an example:

https://www.superlightingled.com/164ftroll-513mm-120-top-emitting-antiglare-silicone-sleeve-flexible-led-neon-tube-for-10mm-led-light-strips-p-4092.html

You need to look for "top emitting" like that one because the strips bend perpendicular to the LEDs to wrap around the wood. A lot of the ones on the market, like the ones I used for my sign, are "side emitting", because they're meant for the LEDs to be bent into shapes like letters, so parallel to the LEDs.

Quoted from spooky_dj:

The LED strips are addressable. They use the same protocol as APA-102C-NEW LEDs (different protocol than neopixel strips, in case you want to get compatible strips)

Good info! I figured they weren't WS2812 because it looked like they were 4 wire strips. APA-102C is a two wire protocol so checks out. Those are going to be more responsive than WS2812. And more expensive, so Spooky definitely didn't "cheap out" on the lighting there.

#7921 2 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

This is Bug... Bug is at his desk with rules in front of him. On the other end of the headphones on Slack chat, is Bowen Kerins double checking Bug's rules. Bowen has more world championships than you.

This is great. Bowen is a big asset, I'm sure he's being a great mentor.

But I feel like I want to say one thing: Spooky is a family company. They've always been that way. They don't always do things the way I would, I don't agree with every decision Charlie makes. It's his company though, not mine! And he's clearly shown that his way works.

And you know what? Bug doing the rules is f—ing great, and if people don't like it then maybe just pause for a moment before you start banging on your keyboard. Just think for a second about what you want to say, and who's reading it.

Who here has been around a while? Who's watched this family go from passionate enthusiasts to a success story that sells out their runs in hours? How could you not be stoked for Bug to be doing the rules for a game? Imagine sending him a message through time telling him he'd be doing this 7 years ago.

We can nitpick the small stuff, like Exposed LED Gate, and do the usual backseat driving on this and that. But it would be cool to see more people happy for Bug instead of worrying he's going to somehow screw it all up. I'm sure Charlie is enormously proud of him, and he should be.

My two cent rant.

1 week later
#9266 2 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

I really do want to listen to something new that’s great… just firmly not convinced anything new of substance musically has come out in the last couple decades. Please let me know what it might be… I have tried and found it all to be shite.

Congrats, you're an old fogey now.

Just like every generation before you reached old fogey status, and complained about the kids and their music. It's utterly normal to hold up the culture—be it music or movies or anime or whatever else—of your teenage years as the pinnacle. It's what formed your tastes for the most part. There's a reason nostalgia is so powerful of a tool. It sells a lot of pinball machines!

I used to really champion the idea of original themes being something pinball needed. I've basically given up on the idea. It's clear that even the boutique makers like Spooky are better off with licenses. I might not like it, but you can't argue with the results.

I give Spooky a lot of credit for doing Rick and Morty, that wasn't a nostalgia play. And you know what? A lot of people here had never watched it, tried it because of the pin, and had a great time. Because being "new" isn't the same as being "shite".

Just remember, any year or era of music that you love had a ton of garbage come out then too. It's just all been forgotten about, tossed in history's dust bin. Only the stuff with staying power remains.

And in 20 years someone will look back on Demon Slayer the way you look back on Ninja Scroll.

The cycle continues.

1 year later
#11803 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

They didn't even animate the balls rolling when they were going between the doors, and that would have taken like a 30 second job in after effects or whatever they edited this in.

You seem to want this:

bad-spin.gifbad-spin.gif

But that's not what a pinball looks like when moving. The reflections don't spin, they stay stable while the ball spins, which you really don't see. Like so:

How-a-Pinball-Machine-Works-in-Slow-Motion.gifHow-a-Pinball-Machine-Works-in-Slow-Motion.gif

Quoted from PinMonk:

Crossing my fingers and toes Spooky buckles down and pays attention to the details to make this a great game.

I mean no offense, but what they did is actually paying attention to the details if you want to get pedantic about it.

If you don't care for the look that's cool, but it's accurate!

#11807 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I’m honestly surprised it took this long for someone to do Scooby. It’s a huge multigenerational hit. My baby nephews love Scooby

There was talk of it 5 years ago. I'm glad it didn't get the Jetsons treatment. I don't mean this in a rude way, just being honest, it's a theme that deserves a better game than that.

#11818 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

The ball looks a little too perfect if that makes sense?

Sure, it makes sense. It's accurate, smooth spheres don't shimmer, but it looks a little funny. The more I watch it the less it bothers me, but I get the response.

The difference, in my mind at least, is you could say something like "it would be cool if the ball could have something that added a little more illusion of spin" instead of "this looks rushed, they should have spent 30 seconds in After Effects, I hope they pay more attention to detail". Or, just wait until you see more, it's only a teaser after all.

But one is a personal preference and a polite criticism/request (we're all allowed those), the other kinda implies that the people who made it are lazy.

It's a real bummer, as a creator, to show something and have people immediately find personal complaints to imply you're lazy and not good at your job. I'm trying to be more considerate of people's feelings, not just because I've been on the other side of it myself, but because I've talked to pinball creators who feel like shit when Pinside dumps on them in personal ways. They read what gets said here. Even the people at Stern you never see, not just the companies brave enough to hang in the lion's den like Spooky.

#11881 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Being respectful/polite is goodness, but feeling like shit because of Pinside feedback? Hopefully professionals (of any kind) aren't that thin skinned. Even though the signal-to-noise might not be ideal, there is usually something to learn from your passionate fans (even if it's sometimes hard to hear).

I won't write an essay on this topic, but I've talked to multiple people at Stern at length about this, face-to-face and on the phone. People who have been in pinballs decades+, and they told me that it wears down their spirit when something you're passionate about comes with people who make constant personal remarks.

I can personally attest that being "thick skinned" only goes so far when there's a deluge of people who can't just be critical of your work, but also need to attack your character, your work ethic, and how much you care. Calling you lazy etc.

Whether it's Spooky or someone else, just be mindful that this is a small community, and the people you're talking about will quite likely see, or hear about, your words. If you wouldn't say it to their face—not hiding behind the anonymity of your keyboard—consider if it's the right way to say it.

#11983 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

wait just a gd minute. Weren't you the one saying He-Man was a horrible title for a pin before Halloween was announced?

Nah, Ben has said it's a good theme several times. In this very thread!

Quoted from benheck:

He-Man isn't a bad theme. It's a bullseye for younger Gen Xers. But it's not what Spooky is making next.
Again I think a pin with nice two tone shaded 2D art would look slick. Really haven't seen this since Xmen.

#12036 1 year ago
Quoted from TonLoc777:

Come on guys we need a Xmas pin!!!

Violent_Night-279974021-large (resized).jpgViolent_Night-279974021-large (resized).jpg

#12056 1 year ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

So it's a boardgame? Or a movie about a boardgame? Or is it a book about a boardgame adapted to a movie about said boardgame?!

The original is an illustrated story about a board game that comes to life, enveloping the players in their world. The author/illustrator Chris Van Allsburg is really fantastic, I'm a big fan. Gorgeous, often black and white, drawings. Worth looking up if that's your thing.

4EjrbYxgNLTKrhUl8Syd-_3tblXdyVxeEqSkPSzrqa8 (resized).jpg4EjrbYxgNLTKrhUl8Syd-_3tblXdyVxeEqSkPSzrqa8 (resized).jpg

There never was a board game, but after the movie brought hype to the name someone did actually make one.

#12082 1 year ago
Quoted from benheck:

Hilton Jones, aka Whysnow, aka "The Pinside Pariah" is now officially acting as a consultant on the game I'm coding for Spooky

theres-a-name-ive-not-heard-in-many-years.giftheres-a-name-ive-not-heard-in-many-years.gif

2 weeks later
#12154 1 year ago
Quoted from benheck:

Was also thinking today while I was working on stuff I should document/screen cap it so I could make some "making of" videos when it's all done.

You should 100% do this. The "making of" videos Stern puts out are some of their best marketing imo.

3 weeks later
#12167 1 year ago
Quoted from Var1AbL3:

Okay, I could buy that but, what could that possibly refer to?

Comet (resized).pngComet (resized).png

#12208 1 year ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

There are usually issues with getting those licenses or they come with a catch, like you can't use the likenesses to specific actors within those licenses. So you can buy the license, but not can never reference the two main characters.

Another wrinkle is the older the movie the more likely the license stuff is murky simply because the contracts back then weren't written with the idea that an actor might appear in another medium besides the film. With Alien we weren't allowed to use any British actors because they had differently written contracts that covered their appearance rights differently. This was the late 70s, the concept that a video game or pinball might be made with an actor on a screen just wasn't on the radar.

I forget who the actor in question was now, but it meant that if they were in the background of a scene we couldn't use it, because their likeness wasn't cleared. Or maybe we cropped them out of something. It's been too long to recall, but that's the kind of thing nobody thinks about until you end up dealing with it.

Another thing that's changed is the voice acting rules with unions etc. I'm not an expert on this part, it's only been explained to me, but as I understand it the minimum rates are such that something like STTNG could realistically never happen now. Just be too wildly expensive to get all the screen actors to do custom callouts like they did then for some base rate + giving them a game.

#12211 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

An Adventure Time pin would be so goddamned epic and entertaining.

This is such a great theme, but I'd only want it from true fans of the show who were passionate about the idea. It's the kind of thing that you gotta get the tone right, if you're not really into it and just using all the assets it could come out pretty disappointing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, FL
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Performance Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
North Aurora, IL
$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

€ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Discos Pinball Mod Shop

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

5,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
South Kingstown, RI
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

$ 17.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lermods

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

15,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinbald Mods

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 238.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-2021-game-speculation-thread?tu=Aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.