7hPz.gif
IMG_6612 (resized).jpeg
harley-quinn-legends-of-the-dark-knight-1_dc-comics_silo (resized).png
tumblr_ndd9vhv4uu1qedb29o1_500.gif
IMG_1836 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1833 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1832 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 13,405 posts in this topic. You are on page 95 of 269.
#4701 2 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Hopefully they have original assets as there is plenty of material from the movies to work with.

It's been a while since I've seen the Halloween movies, but I don't recall anyone saying "jackpot" or "super skill shot."

#4702 2 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Hopefully they have original assets as there is plenty of material from the movies to work with.

Right, but I'm pretty sure Donald Pleasence never shouted out 'Jackpot!' or 'Shoot the ramp!' in the original Halloween... ok, so maybe in one of the sequels?

#4703 2 years ago
Quoted from Xelz:

It's been a while since I've seen the Halloween movies, but I don't recall anyone saying "jackpot" or "super skill shot."

Its a horror themed game, I dont think we need to hear this stuff, haha.

#4704 2 years ago

This review kinda shows why it's my favorite horror film of all time. Of course, the review is from the 70's-80s, so it's a little behind the times, but it does show how there is character development in the movie.

#4705 2 years ago

I’m undecided need to see the gameplay. Good thing I just got JP to hold me over.

#4706 2 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Right, but I'm pretty sure Donald Pleasence never shouted out 'Jackpot!' or 'Shoot the ramp!' in the original Halloween... ok, so maybe in one of the sequels?

Jinx!

#4707 2 years ago

Some Lauri callouts would be good. I think the gameplay is more likely to be a person running/hiding from Michael, than playing as Michael. But who knows, maybe both modes.

#4708 2 years ago

Don’t see how a slasher horror theme will do in a pinball game. A video game, yes. Hopefully they can pull it off. Not a slasher film fan at all. Don’t see many of these being bought for on location. Just not a theme many are attracted to to spend money on to play. Just my opinion and will wait and see for full reveal.

#4709 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Some Lauri callouts would be good. I think the gameplay is more likely to be a person running/hiding from Michael, than playing as Michael. But who knows, maybe both modes.

Doesn’t sound very exciting.

#4710 2 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Honestly, if you thought Scooby was the pinnacle of pinball, I don't see why you'd think differently of this. 90% of Scooby is hiding from the baddies.

#4711 2 years ago

I wish it were Christine, Escape From New York, or the Thing…but this is awesome!!!
John Carpenter has some really iconic music and I’m wondering if that multi-level mini playfield mimics Michael falling off of the balcony?

#4712 2 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

There are a few insights in this video podcast, it was the first one they done and featured David as a guest. He is named as lead designer on the game by the sounds. Talking about game designs, and stuff and things... there are things that may mean more now knowing the theme...

Also other theme ideas brought up

The game bunyip is working on is not this release.

#4713 2 years ago

Well you’ve obviously never been chased around by a masked manster with a butcher knife, and it shows.

#4714 2 years ago

Does anyone know when they will begin to take orders? Just trying to get in the mix. I saw how quickly Rick and Morty Sold Out.

#4715 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I can't wait to hear all the great callouts from Mike Myers!

I know, right? Jason’s lines in Friday II and III are hilarious and perfectly timed! You won’t catch Michael or Jason monologing.

#4716 2 years ago

Move along then

#4717 2 years ago

I'm mostly curious about how well the nail the spooky ambiance of Halloween. The pin isn't going to be particularly scary after a few plays, besides random loud noises, but some games like Alien and TWD do a great job of making an oppressive feeling with the sounds and lighting.

I'm also kinda curious about the video screen and how they utilize it. Honestly, I wouldn't mind it if this game was dots instead of LCD (or some other original art). Its been a few years since I've seen it, but I don't recall a lot of memorable scenes that make sense for pinball. It's a lot of slow build up. The most memorable stuff is like the first person POV opening, Laurie being stalked, and a small handful of jump scares and on screen deaths.

Again, super excited to see how the design team tackled this theme.

#4718 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Looks like the carved pumpkin at the start of Halloween.

LTG : )

I was right. That doesn't happen often.

#4719 2 years ago

A fun match screen could be something like Myers being knocked over the balcony, and when they go to look down it's the match number. Or maybe a pumpkin gets carved, turns around and reveals a match number. Or just random stabbing and a bloody match number shows up.

It's fun to think about this stuff.

#4720 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:I'm mostly curious about how well the nail the spooky ambiance of Halloween. The pin isn't going to be particularly scary after a few plays, besides random loud noises, but some games like Alien and TWD do a great job of making an oppressive feeling with the sounds and lighting.
I'm also kinda curious about the video screen and how they utilize it. Honestly, I wouldn't mind it if this game was dots instead of LCD (or some other original art). Its been a few years since I've seen it, but I don't recall a lot of memorable scenes that make sense for pinball. It's a lot of slow build up. The most memorable stuff is like the first person POV opening, Laurie being stalked, and a small handful of jump scares and on screen deaths.
Again, super excited to see how the design team tackled this theme.

There must be a device under the cabinet of the machine that punches you in the crotch with every scary scene. That should help with the ambiance. I can help develop that mod if needed.

#4721 2 years ago
Quoted from ItsOnlyPinball:

this is awesome!!!

That is my thinking. The last year and a half makes it a no go for me. I am excited for those able to get it. I hope I get a chance to play it.

#4722 2 years ago

Very excited to see gameplay of Halloween. John Carpenter is THE best when it comes to scoring/directing horror.

#4723 2 years ago

The gameplay must be a escape or die (drain) like in Kingpin. That’s why they went with Halloween. You play the damsel in distress

#4724 2 years ago

As someone who's never seen the movie but has picked up the gist from this thread, is there any way a majority of the layout is not a spooky house? Assuming not, seems be a bit surprising to see a company that has made only a handful of games go with big house with upper playfield(s) two out of the past three titles.

#4726 2 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

There must be a device under the cabinet of the machine that punches you in the crotch with every scary scene. That should help with the ambiance. I can help develop that mod if needed.

You mean be a tester?

#4727 2 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

As someone who's never seen the movie but has picked up the gist from this thread, is there any way a majority of the layout is not a spooky house? Assuming not, seems be a bit surprising to see a company that has made only a handful of games go with big house with upper playfield(s) two out of the past three titles.

Well, I suppose if it's only based on the first movie, it could mostly be in 1 house....otherwise, it would be locations in the town which would make more sense.

#4728 2 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

You mean be a tester?

Testies

#4729 2 years ago

Great show.

testees (resized).JPGtestees (resized).JPG
#4730 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Well, I suppose if it's only based on the first movie, it could mostly be in 1 house....otherwise, it would be locations in the town which would make more sense.

believe spooky says it's based on the first movie

#4731 2 years ago

Okay, so..time to start talking about the next Spooky release! Evil Dead!

#4732 2 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

A lot of the movie takes place between a series of houses on the same block, so maybe what look like scoops on the left side are houses? That would be more interesting to me to take place in the neighbourhood vs in a single house.

If neighbourhood the asylum could be referenced in an upper playfield or higher up on the playfield or something.

#4733 2 years ago
Quoted from Smack:

A lot of the movie takes place between a series of houses on the same block, so maybe what look like scoops on the left side are houses? That would be more interesting to me to take place in the neighbourhood vs in a single house.
If neighbourhood the asylum could be referenced in an upper playfield or higher up on the playfield or something.

Maybe that is what the servos are for. Each shot into a house raises the playfield to expose a different house/playfield. That would be cool

#4734 2 years ago

The servos are at the inlanes so....that’s impossible

Quoted from Beechwood:

Maybe that is what the servos are for. Each shot into a house raises the playfield to expose a different house/playfield. That would be cool

#4735 2 years ago
Quoted from Smack:

That’s interesting .Playing as Myers and looking through houses for your target .

#4736 2 years ago
Quoted from Smack:

Maybe it's like a small set of houses, and you hit the ball in one to "enter that house" and then the upper playfields react accordingly (diverters, rules, and such)

#4737 2 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

Its a horror themed game, I dont think we need to hear this stuff, haha.

It's a pinball machine, so you do need to hear that stuff. In Bram Stoker's Dracula, Drac himself says all the pinball stuff..."Get the Extra Ball!" "Jackpot!" "10 Million!" "THIIIIIRRRRTYYY MEEEELLLEEEEON!!!!"

#4738 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

That’s interesting .Playing as Myers and looking through houses for your target .

Or trying to save your friends or kids in general in the houses. Perhaps similar to the F13 NES game from way back where Jason is in a cabin and you have to save the kids within.

I have a hard time believing you would play as Michael but who knows.

I am very excited to see the playfield and how the music ties into the game play and LCD assets. The first Halloween is one of my most favourite thrillers.

#4739 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Honestly, if you thought Scooby was the pinnacle of pinball, I don't see why you'd think differently of this. 90% of Scooby is hiding from the baddies.

Never said it was the pinnacle so don’t put words in my mouth. Scooby has many many villains, ghosts, call outs, and a faster pace than Halloween. Slasher films have a specific fan base. You will not draw casual fans to buy Halloween like you would with themes like Mandalorian, or even a Scooby pin.

Mandalorian is a show I really am not a huge fan of, but it’s Star Wars and a blast to play and I will get one. Casual fans will really consider purchasing a Mando or even a Jurassic Park, but Halloween is not a theme casual fans will jump on and buy.

You may not agree, but Scooby would grab those casual fans and also owner operators to put on location. Halloween on location will not draw families, kids, or most adults to want to play. Scooby has more appeal.

Halloween seems to be a fan pin they wanted to make more for themselves than a sound marketing business decision. Glad they are in a position to be able to do that. But Evil Dead/Army of Darkness would have been one I would have even considered.

#4740 2 years ago

If you want to hear pinball with movie dialogue and no jackpot callouts, look no further than GOTG. Not sure if that's an approach I'd want to emulate.

#4741 2 years ago

A must !

Quoted from Smack:

Or trying to save your friends or kids in general in the houses. Perhaps similar to the F13 NES game from way back where Jason is in a cabin and you have to save the kids within.
I am very excited to see the playfield and how the music ties into the game play and LCD assets. The first Halloween is one of my most favourite thrillers.

I agree this is exiting for sure .Especially how confident the team seems .

#4742 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's a pinball machine, so you do need to hear that stuff. In Bram Stoker's Dracula, Drac himself says all the pinball stuff..."Get the Extra Ball!" "Jackpot!" "10 Million!" "THIIIIIRRRRTYYY MEEEELLLEEEEON!!!!"

Just adds cheesiness in my opinion, wont effect the game one way or the other for me is all I was saying. Would make sense if the game were Nightmare, just not sure how you pull that off in Halloween.

Again, just my opinion, the folks making the game are much smarter than me on what does and doesnt fit.

#4743 2 years ago

Mandalorian is a show I really am not a huge fan of, but it’s Star Wars and a blast to play and I will get one. Casual fans will really consider purchasing a Mando or even a Jurassic Park, but Halloween is not a theme casual fans will jump on and buy.

False.

#4744 2 years ago

When will we see the playfield?

#4745 2 years ago
Quoted from Smack:

In my retheme, even though I won't have the luxury of all the bells and whistles of a DMD or LCD pin, you are playing as Michael and the goal is to kill people. Laurie Strode is the end game.

So maybe Spooky takes the dive with me.

#4746 2 years ago

Spooky doesn’t have to pull in casual pinball fans to sell 1,000 of these. They will sell out to collectors and 990 of them will be in home use scenarios. This is not really a location game and operators are no longer the sole source of income for pinball manufacturers. There will be few on location and I imagine it would earn very well in urban punk bars where horror fans hang, not so well in general pinball bar and absolutely tank anywhere that kids are allowed to play.

Never said it was the pinnacle so don’t put words in my mouth. Scooby has many many villains, ghosts, call outs, and a faster pace than Halloween. Slasher films have a specific fan base. You will not draw casual fans to buy Halloween like you would with themes like Mandalorian, or even a Scooby pin.
You may not agree, but Scooby would grab those casual fans and also owner operators to put on location. Halloween on location will not draw families, kids, or most adults to want to play. Scooby has more appeal.
Halloween seems to be a fan pin they wanted to make more for themselves than a sound marketing business decision. Glad they are in a position to be able to do that. But Evil Dead/Army of Darkness would have been one I would have even considered.

#4747 2 years ago

I disagree. While yes, SW in general is probably a much more hyped mainstream fanbase, Halloween (or any of the slasher genre) have a huge cult following. You also have to consider who is actually making the game. Chances are Spooky can make a much more engrossing game than Stern - simply based on the desire to do something less mainstream with the game. The game doesn't need to appeal to the masses for the numbers they are making. Hard to really state $$ but I imagine the license was much cheaper than SW as well. If they gave them full reign of assets, that's a bonus as well.

Halloween in general is not my favorite idea for a theme, don't get me wrong, but if the gameplay is there, it can overcome that.

#4748 2 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

Just adds cheesiness in my opinion, wont effect the game one way or the other for me is all I was saying. Would make sense if the game were Nightmare, just not sure how you pull that off in Halloween.

All modern pinball machines have Jackpot callouts. It's not cheesy, it's expected. The player needs feedback.

#4749 2 years ago

I think there are themes that would have sold better (ie: Evil Dead), but remember that Spooky is limited in production speed. They are planning X months of games, and will sell every one they make before moving onto the next game. In that kind of regime, the best theme is the cheapest theme that will still sell out.

I bet Halloween was much cheaper to license than Evil Dead.

Has anyone heard or extrapolated how long Spooky might tie up their production with Halloween?

#4750 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

While yes, SW in general is probably a much more hyped mainstream fanbase, Halloween (or any of the slasher genre) have a huge cult following. You also have to consider who is actually making the game. Chances are Spooky can make a much more engrossing game than Stern - simply based on the desire to do something less mainstream with the game. The game doesn't need to appeal to the masses.

Yup, Spooky doesn't want/need to sell 3000-5000+ units. You only need a hardcore passionate fanbase to move the themes that Spooky does...that's all they need to build games for a year or so & move on to the next.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Rogers, AR
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Performance Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

€ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Discos Pinball Mod Shop

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Trade
Machine - For Trade
O'fallon, MO
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

$ 17.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lermods

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinbald Mods

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 238.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

There are 13,405 posts in this topic. You are on page 95 of 269.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-2021-game-speculation-thread/page/95 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.