7hPz.gif
IMG_6612 (resized).jpeg
harley-quinn-legends-of-the-dark-knight-1_dc-comics_silo (resized).png
tumblr_ndd9vhv4uu1qedb29o1_500.gif
IMG_1836 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1833 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1832 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 13,405 posts in this topic. You are on page 237 of 269.
#11801 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

The crude edges works much better for this theme considering the source material’s animation quality.

Hanna Barbara-isms I can see, but the pinballs seemed lazy/rushed. At first I was giving them the benefit of the doubt thinking maybe they're "ghost" pinballs and that's why they're floating, but then at the end they collide, which ended that theory.

#11802 1 year ago

Power is back

Quoted from dnapac:

Pincinatti has been without power for hours…hopefully it comes back soon, but Duke Energy estimated 10 pm

#11803 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

They didn't even animate the balls rolling when they were going between the doors, and that would have taken like a 30 second job in after effects or whatever they edited this in.

You seem to want this:

bad-spin.gifbad-spin.gif

But that's not what a pinball looks like when moving. The reflections don't spin, they stay stable while the ball spins, which you really don't see. Like so:

How-a-Pinball-Machine-Works-in-Slow-Motion.gifHow-a-Pinball-Machine-Works-in-Slow-Motion.gif

Quoted from PinMonk:

Crossing my fingers and toes Spooky buckles down and pays attention to the details to make this a great game.

I mean no offense, but what they did is actually paying attention to the details if you want to get pedantic about it.

If you don't care for the look that's cool, but it's accurate!

#11804 1 year ago

I’m also glad to see they got some of the voice actors. Frank Welker is a living legend.

#11805 1 year ago

Excellent theme for pinball. Pair it with an excellent game, and you've got an all-timer.

#11806 1 year ago

I’m honestly surprised it took this long for someone to do Scooby. It’s a huge multigenerational hit. My baby nephews love Scooby

#11807 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I’m honestly surprised it took this long for someone to do Scooby. It’s a huge multigenerational hit. My baby nephews love Scooby

There was talk of it 5 years ago. I'm glad it didn't get the Jetsons treatment. I don't mean this in a rude way, just being honest, it's a theme that deserves a better game than that.

#11808 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You seem to want this:
[quoted image]
But that's not what a pinball looks like when moving. The reflections don't spin, they stay stable while the ball spins, which you really don't see. Like so:
[quoted image]

I mean no offense, but what they did is actually paying attention to the details if you want to get pedantic about it.

No, I don't want your example, it obviously looks dumb. The reflections would not be stationary if the ball were turning, they would shimmer to suggest the movement.

#11809 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You seem to want this:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Good gif

I can sorta see Monks point about how they perfectly move side to side. Maybe if the edges were a little less perfect or if they added some very minor vertical motion?

The ball looks a little too perfect if that makes sense? Especially compared to the slight defects of the original art. Maybe lowering the FPS and adding a grain filter would help merge the new with old

Quoted from Aurich:

There was talk of it 5 years ago. I'm glad it didn't get the Jetsons treatment. I don't mean this in a rude way, just being honest, it's a theme that deserves a better game than that.

Yeah the Pinball Company had the rights. Guess it’s a good thing Jetsons bombed because it would have likely been a similar “just shoot all the major shots a few times” type depth.

#11810 1 year ago

Pincinnati power is fixed.

#11811 1 year ago
Quoted from Ty-Arnold:

Why would you think that? Is there any proof out there that it's Scooby-Doo?

I said you and i was right.

You have your proof now with scooby trailer from spooky on YouTube. In France we have good informations

#11812 1 year ago

RIP my wallet. Dream theme for my wife, good thing we'll have some time!

#11813 1 year ago

I hear ya. This one gonna hurt the wallet

Quoted from onemilemore:

RIP my wallet. Dream theme for my wife, good thing we'll have some time!

#11814 1 year ago

Congrats to Spooky for making a lot of people happy with the Scooby Doo title. It is gonna sell like hot cakes. No doubt.

I'll politely sit this one out though and use the money saved by not buying this title and spend it on a used R&M.

#11815 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Crossing my fingers and toes Spooky buckles down and pays attention to the details to make this a great game.

You will be VERY happy

#11816 1 year ago

Zoinks !
We are Spooky’s first and biggest distributor !
Wanna be on our interested list to get ordering info ?

Email Joe at [email protected] !

Enjoy the pic of Bug in the PinballSTAR booth at Allentown Pinfest 2021 ! LOL

Joe / PinballSTAR Amusements

58578B51-5DD2-44CE-A6FD-A0E262C32B8F (resized).jpeg58578B51-5DD2-44CE-A6FD-A0E262C32B8F (resized).jpeg
#11817 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

So what camp does that put you in? Did you see who up voted my above post? I think that gives my comment some credibility. This thread is all about speculation. Guessing what is next and poking holes in potential theories is part of the fun.

Any questions as to which camp now?

#11818 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

The ball looks a little too perfect if that makes sense?

Sure, it makes sense. It's accurate, smooth spheres don't shimmer, but it looks a little funny. The more I watch it the less it bothers me, but I get the response.

The difference, in my mind at least, is you could say something like "it would be cool if the ball could have something that added a little more illusion of spin" instead of "this looks rushed, they should have spent 30 seconds in After Effects, I hope they pay more attention to detail". Or, just wait until you see more, it's only a teaser after all.

But one is a personal preference and a polite criticism/request (we're all allowed those), the other kinda implies that the people who made it are lazy.

It's a real bummer, as a creator, to show something and have people immediately find personal complaints to imply you're lazy and not good at your job. I'm trying to be more considerate of people's feelings, not just because I've been on the other side of it myself, but because I've talked to pinball creators who feel like shit when Pinside dumps on them in personal ways. They read what gets said here. Even the people at Stern you never see, not just the companies brave enough to hang in the lion's den like Spooky.

#11819 1 year ago

I’ve been saying it was Scooby n nobody believe me. Can’t wait for this one I was just fixing to pull the trigger on Deadpool but now I will hold my money for this.

#11820 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Seems like kind of a rushed promo. They didn't even animate the balls rolling when they were going between the doors,

LOL, it’s based on Hanna-Barbera TV animation. Cheap = accurate. HB would have just slid around a held cel of a pinball if they were animating this.

#11821 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

LOL, it’s based on Hanna-Barbera TV animation. Cheap = accurate. HB would have just slid around a held cel of a pinball if they were animating this.

Yeah I think the crudeness of the original works to Spookys benefit where they don’t have a large animation team to really perfect everything. And I don’t mean that in a “they’re lazy or careless” way

I think changing the frame rate would help. It would make it a bit less smooth side to side. HB was probably animating 4-6 frames per second back then? (If that much)

#11822 1 year ago

Also I realize it’s probably a special kind of annoying to hear about how crude Halloween animations look, then to hear the Scooby Doo ones are too well animated lol

But I think they need to lean into how HB animations are of a certain quality.

Plus all we have to talk about is a) the theme in general b) the snippet of art (looks great) c) how they got the voices of everyone and d) the one small bit of animation

I feel the same about the doors opening and the ball going into the back of the van. It would look more like the source material to lower the animation frames.

#11823 1 year ago
Quoted from big-c66:

I’ve been saying it was Scooby n nobody believe me. Can’t wait for this one I was just fixing to pull the trigger on Deadpool but now I will hold my money for this.

Everyone's been saying it was Scooby.

#11824 1 year ago

So excited for this theme!

#11825 1 year ago

Last I’ll say about the animation,

I do think using the doors in a hallway bit with a ball is clever

I assume based on the animation of a ball being loaded into the back of the van, there will be a physical ball lock Mystery Van?

#11826 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Hanna Barbara-isms I can see, but the pinballs seemed lazy/rushed. At first I was giving them the benefit of the doubt thinking maybe they're "ghost" pinballs and that's why they're floating, but then at the end they collide, which ended that theory.

You seriously shitting on how a pinball looks in a teaser trailer?

face.gifface.gif
#11827 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I think changing the frame rate would help. It would make it a bit less smooth side to side. HB was probably animating 4-6 frames per second back then? (If that much)

A panning object would have been shot on 1s (24fps). Sure it’s 1 drawing without any animation, but pans are always 1s or they strobe.

#11828 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

A panning object would have been shot on 1s (24fps). Sure it’s 1 drawing without any animation, but pans are always 1s or they strobe.

Even when there were other animated cells in the same scene? Like wouldn’t the ball have originally matched the running animation cell movement? They wouldn’t be shot separate

#11829 1 year ago
Quoted from manadams:

You seriously shitting on how a pinball looks in a teaser trailer? [quoted image]

Yep, seriously. When that's all there is, what else is there to pick apart? It's the first whiff of what Spooky's doing for their new pin, and it's a simple trailer with mostly text on canned video. I would hope it was perfect. It's just okay.

But I'm very happy they got Matthew Lillard, ESPECIALLY, for Shaggy. NO idea why he wasn't used in that newer Scooby Doo show. HE IS Shaggy. No one else alive comes close.

#11830 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yep, seriously. When that's all there is, what else is there to pick apart? It's the first whiff of what Spooky's doing for their new pin, and it's a simple trailer with mostly text on canned video. I would hope it was perfect. It's just okay.
But I'm very happy they got Matthew Lillard for Shaggy. NO idea why he wasn't used in that newer Scooby Doo show. HE IS Shaggy. No one else alive comes close.

They can also build a relationship with Lillard for when Spooky eventually does Scream

He’d be perfect to narrate that theme

#11831 1 year ago

Never ceases to amaze me, pinball Karen’s are on the prowl looking to be as pedantic as they can and critique the ball movement on a teaser trailer.

FFS get over yourself.

#11832 1 year ago

Pinball nerds amirite

It’s like in Parks and Recreation where Leslie has an open forum and its people yelling at her.

“These people are members of the community that care about where they live. So what I hear when I’m being yelled at is people caring loudly at me.”

I try to be respectful and helpful, but I’m not perfect.

#11833 1 year ago

Well it’s not Scott Denesi on SDoo. I asked him.

#11834 1 year ago

I will say this, if you own a business that supports other businesses it is best to not trash their product especially if what you are trashing isn’t even the actual product. It comes off as petty and obnoxious and in my opinion has no place on this particular thread.

Lost a customer here.

#11835 1 year ago

Yeah he lost me a while ago but PinKaren is Gold!

Quoted from Lopa:

I will say this, if you own a business that supports other businesses it is best to not trash their product especially if what you are trashing isn’t even the actual product. It comes off as petty and obnoxious and in my opinion has no place on this particular thread.
Lost a customer here.

#11836 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Seems like kind of a rushed promo. They didn't even animate the balls rolling when they were going between the doors, and that would have taken like a 30 second job in after effects or whatever they edited this in.

Actually Monk, you are right. With an oversized ball in a hallway you would have a moving reflection. The lighting likely being overhead and the ball would be much closer to the light source. So the reflection would be seen moving from left to right as the ball passes under the light source. You do not see this in the video the other gentlemen posted because the light source in that video is much farther away.

#11837 1 year ago

I am happy for Spooky. This puts them in the big leagues. I think it is time to drop the "boutique pinball" label.

#11838 1 year ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

Actually Monk, you are right. With an oversized ball in a hallway you would have a moving reflection. The lighting likely being overhead and the ball would be much closer to the light source. So the reflection would be seen moving from left to right as the ball passes under the light source. You do not see this in the video the other gentlemen posted because the light source in that video is much farther away.

Perspective and location of the lighting would play into it, but I'm not expecting absolute animation perfection, just a bit more work put into making it look like it was rolling.

#11839 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Even when there were other animated cells in the same scene? Like wouldn’t the ball have originally matched the running animation cell movement? They wouldn’t be shot separate

No matter how many drawings are used, the film is always shot at 24fps. Some cels might be shot on 2s or 3s. That’s where the money is saved. The film still has to be 24fps to play at the correct speed. Within that 24fps, let’s say a character is just talking. There might be 1 cel of the body held for a while…a head that’s held, but animates up and back down sometimes, the mouth animation which is usually on 2s. You can’t really think of it in video game frames per second terminology.

#11840 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Perspective and location of the lighting would play into it, but I'm not expecting absolute animation perfection, just a bit more work put into making it look like it was rolling.

Of coarse.

Pretty great theme they picked, I am interested to see what they put together.

#11841 1 year ago

Dukes of hazard. The possibilities are endless.

#11842 1 year ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Everyone's been saying it was Scooby.

Yep, people all the way in Europe knew as well. This was not some big mystery solved by all the 'insiders'! Smh, whatever helps them sleep at night i guess. Let the special kids feel special! Give them a few days to get all the toldyaso's out!

#11843 1 year ago

Spooky’s Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure pin coming in 2024.

#11844 1 year ago

Grew up in the 80s with scooby. Idk I’m watching it now on Boom and it’s kind of hard to watch as an adult. IDK if this will be for me. Want to see pics and gameplay hopefully before it’s up for sale.

#11845 1 year ago
Quoted from monitorpop:

Spooky’s Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure pin coming in 2024.

JJP is going to make Pee-Wee.

#11846 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You seem to want this:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

If you stop the ball it looks like a ghost, so super accurate, actually.

#11847 1 year ago
Quoted from Lopa:

Never ceases to amaze me, pinball Karen’s are on the prowl looking to be as pedantic as they can and critique the ball movement on a teaser trailer.
FFS get over yourself.

Agreed, the pendanticity here in unreal!

#11848 1 year ago
Quoted from Crumbalimb:

JJP is going to make Pee-Wee.

That would be brutal. Dream theme but overpriced with a chipped playfield, no fun mechs… or even Paul Reubens doing the callouts.

#11849 1 year ago

Are they doing the non refundable deposit again?

#11850 1 year ago
Quoted from monitorpop:

That would be brutal. Dream theme but overpriced with a chipped playfield, no fun mechs… or even Paul Reubens doing the callouts.

I went on their factory tour and they had a layout of Pee-wee Herman on the wall placed purposely so people with a wandering eye could see it. Was it a tease? or, was it real? It was in plain sight so hard to say. I asked the tour guide and they said: "you never know".
Could have been a way to get feedback as to what people thought of it as a theme.
BUT PEE-WEE IS OFF THE IMPORTANT SUBJECT
SCOOBY ROCKS
Can't wait to see what the Spooky Gang has in store for Mystery Inc Gang.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, IN
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Performance Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Rogers, AR
$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

€ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Discos Pinball Mod Shop

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Grand Haven, MI
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

$ 17.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lermods

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

5,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
South Kingstown, RI
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinbald Mods

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 238.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 13,405 posts in this topic. You are on page 237 of 269.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-2021-game-speculation-thread/page/237?hl=gorbiie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.