7hPz.gif
IMG_6612 (resized).jpeg
harley-quinn-legends-of-the-dark-knight-1_dc-comics_silo (resized).png
tumblr_ndd9vhv4uu1qedb29o1_500.gif
IMG_1836 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1833 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1832 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 13,399 posts in this topic. You are on page 225 of 268.
#11201 1 year ago
Quoted from Completist:

Not here to pump or police the TNA 2.0 pricing, but i can say that in 2018 you had to add all your options on top of the base game. So i def wasn’t 6K out the door. In fact i looked up my invoice and got reminded that if you wanted the shaker and knocker you actually ordered them separately from PBL and had them shipped to Spooky. Powder wasn’t an option back then, nor were the lit drop targets. Now convert all that into 2022 dollars (via normal inflation not pinflation) and then do the comparison.

Agreed. I keep meticulous records of what I spend on my pins, and my costs for TNA were ~ $6800, including shaker motor and knocker (+ shipping from pinball life and installation cost), mirror blades and install cost, plastic protector set, speaker grill lights, and shipping from distro.

Throw in green plastic upgrades (+$39), clear drop targets and additional leds (not sure, figure +$20), new counter display with led (+$20), powder coating (+$400 ballpark), that's getting to ~ $7300. Add in inflation of 20% (+$1400) for materials and labor, and you're right around $9k.

#11202 1 year ago
Quoted from damadczar:

Agreed. I keep meticulous records of what I spend on my pins, and my costs for TNA were ~ $6800, including shaker motor and knocker (+ shipping from pinball life and installation cost), mirror blades and install cost, plastic protector set, speaker grill lights, and shipping from distro.
Throw in green plastic upgrades (+$39), clear drop targets and additional leds (not sure, figure +$20), new counter display with led (+$20), powder coating (+$400 ballpark), that's getting to ~ $7300. Add in inflation of 20% (+$1400) for materials and labor, and you're right around $9k.

-$500/$1000 for IP/License
-$500/$1000 RD
-$1000 Distributers
=6k/7k.

7.5k would be the magic number.

#11204 1 year ago

The dude is a muckraker, why promote that here? I agree that I think this is a high price, and I think most of us know the FOMO model has worked well for them, but the rest is...whatever.

#11205 1 year ago
Quoted from jjga:

3min in and "No(t) a good take so far".

It only felt fair to listen to the entire thing to see if there were any valid points. Seems predominately concerned about distributors, using pinball machines as investments, and perceived value vs titles with licenses from legacy work and or lots of ali-express bolted on the playfield.

This guy has the overnight AM radio flow, but for pinball. Probably a nice listen for people who can't get enough Prison Planet forum time.

#11206 1 year ago

I wonder if the Danesi lock targets are improved. Had a lot of hang ups with mine from metal tabs bending in back.
Still having issues with 2 balls stuck behind the front drop target.
Love the game other than that.

#11207 1 year ago
Quoted from jjga:

It only felt fair to listen to the entire thing to see if there were any valid points. Seems predominately concerned about distributors, using pinball machines as investments, and perceived value vs titles with licenses from legacy work and or lots of ali-express bolted on the playfield.
This guy has the overnight AM radio flow, but for pinball. Probably a nice listen for people who can't get enough Prison Planet forum time.

This was my first time actually listening to him. I was expecting something laughable based on what everyone says but everything he said were great points and worth hearing. His point around the half way mark about comparing TNA to Godzilla was a stinger. TNA is my favorite game. Coming to terms with this price tag is a major bummer.

#11208 1 year ago

Would have bought but since they cut out distributors on this one, I’m out.

As a buyer of five Spooky games NIB starting with AMH, every release it’s getting alittle harder each time to be a Spooky fan. TnA is a great game, I just don’t really feel like giving Spooky anymore of my money.

#11209 1 year ago

Don't care about the cutting distros. It's 250 games. Least of any of the concerns. Would you hold the same attitude buying anything else from a distro vs direct? Most likely not. It's an outdated supply chain middle man. Unless you are an operator, most people don't need distros.

#11210 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Don't care about the cutting distros. It's 250 games. Least of any of the concerns. Would you hold the same attitude buying anything else from a distro vs direct? Most likely not. It's an outdated supply chain middle man. Unless you are an operator, most people don't need distros.

Having had issues with Spooky games in the past, I stand by that statement.

#11211 1 year ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I had 2 whole days of a distributor, and one of his close friends who is a tech, talk me through replacing every board in a game to get it working brand new out of box. They now cut out these amazing people after sucking up the Halloween Ultraman fiasco? There are zero development costs in this game and then to just cut them out wow! Greed is a funny thing in bussinss....it eventually bites you in the ass!

#11212 1 year ago

My experience has been completely different. Any issues I've had I've worked directly with the manufacturer and they took care of me. Granted, I haven't bought a NiB Stern or JJP so maybe there's a difference there, but I had no issues working with Spooky, CGC, or PB for that matter. But my experience with some distros has been less than stellar. In the long run if the manufacturer isn't going to make things right, even with a distro (as we've seen with many JJP instances) it rarely is going to happen.

Point is though, the whole distro thing as a 'boycott' is...<edited as everyone is entitled to their opinion> strange to be frank. That's nothing to be mad over as a consumer. The non-refundable deposit? That's something to be mad about. OMG they missed 250 games...the world is ending. You see what I'm getting at here?

#11213 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

This was my first time actually listening to him. I was expecting something laughable based on what everyone says but everything he said were great points and worth hearing. His point around the half way mark about comparing TNA to Godzilla was a stinger. TNA is my favorite game. Coming to terms with this price tag is a major bummer.

lol, it was the first time I had heard him too and he wasn’t as bad as I expected so this was probably a good marketing decision on his part as well. The game comparisons are tough, I was already going through that in my head as well since there are a few other games I’ve got my eye on and I was probably hoping as he mentioned that this would be more of a limited edition with something special (cabinet, topper, etc.). I’m not sure I get all the outrage on behalf of the distributor’s. I’m sure they’ll let spooky know if they feel wronged. I’m pretty loyal to my distributor (not a spooky dealer though I bought a NIB Halloween from him) but I’ll still buy stuff from pinside etc. I think he just views it as stuff he’ll eventually make money on in trade .

#11214 1 year ago

I'm not going to argue with the price of the game because pinball is expensive to make, stuff costs more now than it did then, and Spooky has more overhead than last time.

But what I don't get is why non-refundable deposits on preorders are necessary anymore?

They made sense when people were heavily customizing their games. They made some sense when people got to pick which trim.

But these TNAs are all the exact same. Nothing is going to change in terms of ordering parts. Make them and then put them up for sale when they're ready to be sold.

I can see an argument for securing places in line. But why make the deposit non-refundable? The same thing is going to be built regardless... And why $2,000? Spooky should go to a bank to fund buying parts, not their customers.

#11215 1 year ago

I love TNA and was excited for the rerun but 9K is way too much.

#11216 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Spooky should go to a bank to fund buying parts, not their customers.

Wouldn't that increase the price of the games even more, which seems to already be a sticking point?

#11217 1 year ago

I can't begin to imagine what they're gonna charge for the next game then 12 to $15000?

TNA vs Godzilla
Lol. No contest

#11218 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Well, if you ever have a problem with Stern games, good luck getting support without your distributor playing middle man. I'm glad I have that safety net.

#11219 1 year ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Well, if you ever have a problem with Stern games, good luck getting support without your distributor playing middle man. I'm glad I have that safety net.

To clarfiy, he was pro distro. I mentioned later I had not dealt with Stern/JJP so can't speak to those.

#11220 1 year ago
Quoted from jjga:

Wouldn't that increase the price of the games even more, which seems to already be a sticking point?

Yeah but $2k barely pays for playfield and its elements. So they’re already borrowing money to build them before final payment. (Or they don’t need to externally borrow money at all…)

But its mostly the non-refundable or transferable nature I don’t like. Just impose a penalty fee to transfer. Like $100 since it’s mostly about paying someone to change some shipment details. There’s not the same headache of yesteryear of trying to find someone who wants a specific trim built to custom specs. $2k seems like a huge penalty if you suddenly can’t buy the game, especially considering the game will likely still get built and sold to someone else.

#11221 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Yeah but $2k barely pays for playfield and its elements. So they’re already borrowing money to build them before final payment. (Or they don’t need to externally borrow money at all…)
But its mostly the non-refundable or transferable nature I don’t like. Just impose a penalty fee to transfer. Like $100 since it’s mostly about paying someone to change some shipment details. There’s not the same headache of yesteryear of trying to find someone who wants a specific trim built to custom specs. $2k seems like a huge penalty if you suddenly can’t buy the game, especially considering the game will likely still get built and sold to someone else.

I just want to make sure this is clear. The initial payment can still be transferred to a new buyer, it's just not possible to transfer the initial payment from one game to another game...no change from our prior policy.

#11222 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

It says it is non transferable to another game, not another person. I don't like pre-payments in general, but I'm not convinced it is much worse than balance due on shipping for a manufacturer that is producing on a reasonable timeline.

#11223 1 year ago

Still think should be a fee to transfer like jjp did. Less flippers this way!
Hopefully there are no flippers at 9k I’m not paying more.

#11224 1 year ago
Quoted from beltking:

Still think should be a fee to transfer like jjp did. Less flippers this way!
Hopefully there are no flippers at 9k I’m not paying more.

I do understand that point. Ideally, we do want our games in the hands of those that want the game.

#11225 1 year ago

wow, cut out distributors. raise the price 3k, and make you send them $45 to $95 to join a fanclub to even have a chance at buying a pin??? Shame on Spooky.

#11226 1 year ago

OTOH, I appreciate them charging a price that captures enough value to (maybe) make it not worth flipping. The deposit helps too.

#11227 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

TNA vs Godzilla
Lol. No contest

I'd take the new TNA.

All day, every day. Godzilla doesn't do anything for me. Rather have an Iron Maiden.

#11228 1 year ago
Quoted from guitarded:

I'd take the new TNA.
All day, every day. Godzilla doesn't do anything for me. Rather have an Iron Maiden.

You can have an Iron Maiden for less than a TNA with more on it. TNA should not be priced over a Stern Pro.

#11229 1 year ago
Quoted from Vecna:

-$500/$1000 for IP/License
-$500/$1000 RD
-$1000 Distributers
=6k/7k.
7.5k would be the magic number.

$7.5K is the number I’m willing to pay, and honestly I’d rather have a stripped-down model without any upgrades. They can send the armor/trim and legs in bare metal for all I care. All I want is the game NIB. TNA is my dream theme. It’s really the only other game I feel like I ‘need’ in my very small collection. It’s an awesome game, and maybe I’m just being a cheapskate but I can’t justify the purchase at 9.

#11230 1 year ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I just want to make sure this is clear. The initial payment can still be transferred to a new buyer, it's just not possible to transfer the initial payment from one game to another game...no change from our prior policy.

Complaint rescinded!

Now let’s just talk about how you have to pay for a membership for the right to preorder a game….

#11231 1 year ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

This is like selling rooms in my hotels and then saying sorry no refunds or moving to a different date, but you can sell to some other person that wants to stay in the hotel! Go cancel your next room at a meeting and lets see how you react when they tell you sorry find a buyer for that said room!
Sorry but your arguments in the business world do not make a bit of sense!

#11232 1 year ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

This is like selling rooms in my hotels and then saying sorry no refunds or moving to a different date, but you can sell to some other person that wants to stay in the hotel! Go cancel your next room at a meeting and lets see how you react when they tell you sorry find a buyer for that said room!
Sorry but your arguments in the business world do not make a bit of sense!

Because you’re selling time utilizing a facility. Someone cancels an order, they still have a product they can sell to someone else.

#11233 1 year ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I do understand that point. Ideally, we do want our games in the hands of those that want the game.

This may work if everyone stays in 100% all the time but guess what the next time a Hotel tells you "tough beans you either sell it to someone else or you loose your deposit, I guarantee you won't be going to that hotel again will you! Now convert that to your company...get it?

#11234 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Because you’re selling time utilizing a facility. Someone cancels an order, they still have a product they can sell to someone else.

No different than cancelling 24 hrs before you stay in a hotel. You do the math on probability of selling said room. duh
This is bad business practice and by talking to others in this hobby and reading remarks here, the business minded are not gonna put up with this crap and they are loosing customers 100%

#11235 1 year ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

This may work if everyone stays in 100% all the time but guess what the next time a Hotel tells you "tough beans you either sell it to someone else or you loose your deposit, I guarantee you won't be going to that hotel again will you! Now convert that to your company...get it?

Not really sure what you're talking about, there are plenty of hotels&rates you can't cancel or change the dates for?

#11236 1 year ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

No different than cancelling 24 hrs before you stay in a hotel. You do the math on probability of selling said room. duh
This is bad business practice and by talking to others in this hobby and reading remarks here, the business minded are not gonna put up with this crap and they are loosing customers 100%

I stayed at a boutique hotel in the Florida keys….there was no cancellation or refund if needing to cancel. They said they were just too small to absorb costs like that. Guess there’s variety in lots of different businesses. I guess, if you don’t like it, there are other options.

#11237 1 year ago

I will be interested to hear from the Distributers on this one. Usually Joe of Pinballstar or ZMeny jump in.

Probably throwing darts at the TNA waitlist they had made.

#11238 1 year ago

So you want Distributors to Hoover up 250 TNA, and leave the Loyal Fang Club members twisting in the wind ??
Your a Genius.

It's only 250 !

#11239 1 year ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

So you want Distributors to Hoover up 250 TNA, and leave the Loyal Fang Club member twisting in the wind ??
Your a Genius.
It's only 250 !

I have to agree with this. After all, Spooky has said there may be more. Prove there is a demand and I’m sure the supply will open up. If you don’t want to be part of the Fang Club, or don’t get a machine but wanted one, tell your distro to let Spooky know that there is interest.

#11240 1 year ago
Quoted from theadicts77:

Not really sure what you're talking about, there are plenty of hotels&rates you can't cancel or change the dates for?

I am talking about exactly what you are saying, by doing this they are loosing customers 100%. I do not do this and I am booked almost 100% year round. This is bad business practice and it will eventually bite them in the arse ! I know its biting Spooky in the arse

#11241 1 year ago
Quoted from dnapac:

I stayed at a boutique hotel in the Florida keys….there was no cancellation or refund if needing to cancel. They said they were just too small to absorb costs like that. Guess there’s variety in lots of different businesses. I guess, if you don’t like it, there are other options.

What if you wanted to cancel or had to cancel? Your thinking may be very different after this experience! Anyway why argue its bad business if you think otherwise well then good for you and you wont be running any of my business'

#11242 1 year ago
Quoted from medeski7:

TNA should not be priced over a Stern Pro.

TNA has a more expensive BOM than a Stern Pro.

#11243 1 year ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

What if you wanted to cancel or had to cancel? Your thinking may be very different after this experience! Anyway why argue its bad business if you think otherwise well then good for you and you wont be running any of my business'

Everyone is entitled to run their business how they want to…after all, it’s theirs. Some may be successful, even if others think it’s bad business practices. And if the business isn’t doing well, a good owner looks at how to change it to be successful. As far as I can see, Spooky seems to be killing it…but that doesn’t mean they will always have the same business model. Again, it’s their business and they will do what they feel best. If you disagree with it, that’s fine…I’m sure they don’t want you running their pinball company and you wouldn’t want them running your hotels.

#11244 1 year ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

This is like selling rooms in my hotels

Off topic: Do you offer a Pinsider discount and do your hotels have a gameroom with pins?

#11245 1 year ago

Bill, with all due respect, there is an entire industry built around the notion that hotels, resorts, and vacation rentals often have non-refundable deposits. It’s called travel insurance.

#11246 1 year ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Everyone is entitled to run their business how they want to…after all, it’s theirs. Some may be successful, even if others think it’s bad business practices. And if the business isn’t doing well, a good owner looks at how to change it to be successful. As far as I can see, Spooky seems to be killing it…but that doesn’t mean they will always have the same business model. Again, it’s their business and they will do what they feel best. If you disagree with it, that’s fine…I’m sure they don’t want you running their pinball company and you wouldn’t want them running your hotels.

Agreed and they are still loosing business and good will is draining with the pinball community I am involved with both in Canada and USA. I'm not arguing they can't do what they want I just think it's bad business and pigs get slaughtered. Carry on

#11247 1 year ago

So my guess is the next Spooky “Cornerstone” game is gonna skip the standard model.

#11248 1 year ago

Well now here’s a way to turn the attention away from toy story 4

#11249 1 year ago

How long until Charlie parachutes into one of the threads with a message.

#11250 1 year ago
Quoted from frankmac:

How long until Charlie parachutes into one of the threads with a message.

968798DA-03F4-489E-B1C7-A5BE43A0F889 (resized).jpeg968798DA-03F4-489E-B1C7-A5BE43A0F889 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
6,350 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lexington, KY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
NinjaCamp Mods
Protection
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 45.00
Playfield - Other
NinjaCamp Mods
Other
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ScottieIA Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods
Other
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Wilkes-barre, PA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Grand Haven, MI
$ 35.00
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods
Shooter rods
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 300.00
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball
Decals
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy
Protection
There are 13,399 posts in this topic. You are on page 225 of 268.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-2021-game-speculation-thread/page/225?hl=pinlink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.