7hPz.gif
IMG_6612 (resized).jpeg
harley-quinn-legends-of-the-dark-knight-1_dc-comics_silo (resized).png
tumblr_ndd9vhv4uu1qedb29o1_500.gif
IMG_1836 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1833 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1832 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 13,405 posts in this topic. You are on page 206 of 269.
#10251 2 years ago
Quoted from BeeGeeMtl:

I liked both games, Halloween was creepier and the music was amazing, of course. The screen animations were horrible, although I did see a short clip from the film at one point (very short) so that seems to indicate that there are more movie assets to come, so hopefully it doesn't turn into a JP with zero movie clips or call-outs from the film (we couldn't hear the call-outs during the stream but I'm pretty sure there are call-outs from the film as well).
But it was ULTRAMAN that won me over as I'd never heard of this IP before but loved the whole kitshiness of it all. The light show was pretty great, as well as the special sounds and even the shit on the screen worked with what the game was (and you can apparently set the game to play in "japanese", if interested). If I had them both in front of me, I'd probably play ULTRAMAN first, but they book look pretty sweet. Thanks to Spooky for having the stream even though the games are sold out and they didn't really have to, and Jack Danger for being a great host/player as per usual.

Hey man, show a little courtesy. The actual main animator for Halloween does pop up in these threads. Rather than say that they're horrible, why not give some constructive feedback. The main animator really wants to do the game and theme justice

Also, it must be tricky to do the animations and have them look good when they are currently coded to loop until the player makes their mode shots. So the same animation looping over and over is bound to look a little strange.

#10252 2 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Hey man, show a little courtesy. The actual main animator for Halloween does pop up in these threads. Rather than say that they're horrible, why not give some constructive feedback. The main animator really wants to do the game and theme justice
Also, it must be tricky to do the animations and have them look good when they are currently coded to loop until the player makes their mode shots. So the same animation looping over and over is bound to look a little strange.

It's not the looping that's the problem, it's the fact that it's not smoothly done. Like there's basically 3 or 4 frames with some bobbing of the head added in, and it's....jerky. I get what the idea was here, and it's not a bad idea, but the differences in shading, and the lack of more intermediate frames are killing that animation for me. The one where she's looking straight ahead and the looking-back-right one look like they were drawn or modeled by someone else entirely, primarily because there's a highlight on the cheek and the back of the face, respectively, while all the other positions look flat shaded. The hair is flat in all of the frames. He'd have to say if that's because it's not fully finished or not. I don't know the movie well enough to comment on how it looks versus the movie. A bit of shading on the other two poses, and adding a heavier black line under the jaw on the looking forward frame would bring them more in line, and clean that specific animation up, IMO. The style just needs to be more consistent from position to position.

I don't know how you'd make it NOT jerky and still have her wildly looking around like that, so that's the lesser problem to me, by far.

Just my personal opinion. I'm not saying this to be harsh, but aside from the repetitiveness of the sound, this was the most "stand out not in a great way" part of what we saw of Halloween. I didn't say anything about it earlier because again.....I have no clue if this is considered finished content or not, and frankly...my opinion on Halloween specifics doesn't matter. I'm not a buyer and wasn't ever going to be.

*edit* removed "specular" from my description....because it was wrong.

#10253 2 years ago

Can't you guys even give them a chance to fully code? You know this is not the final product, and they said on the reveal it will take months to get everything in. Chill, and let's watch it develop

#10254 2 years ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

We currently have 19 original movie clips approved as well as some original sound effects, quotes, etc. We will keep adding everything we can get!

As you currently have 19 movie clips and 19 upvotes...
I expect to have a new movie clip for every upvote going forward...(but happy either way)
To steal one from chuck wurt...haha
Thanks for chiming in.
We believe spooky we believe!

#10255 2 years ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

We currently have 19 original movie clips approved as well as some original sound effects, quotes, etc. We will keep adding everything we can get!

For those keeping score:

Spooky - 19
POTC. - 0 (for all intents and purposes)

Well done spooky.

#10256 2 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

I completely agree with you here. Apparently not much of the animation is there. I know for a fact he does killer work. If your just some rich guy that needs to bitch because ur not being spoon fed shit every second piss off. Wait for the final product don't destroy people who take a lot of pride in this and want to make it an enjoyable experience. If people are such great artist try doing what he's doing.

#10257 2 years ago

Wow! Take it easy on the animator. He has said it’s his baby. He loved Halloween 1978. But he’s an artist…with his own take on things. Good lord, this is his baby. Constructive criticism is accepted, but some of this is over the top. Sometimes hiding behind a keyboard brings out the worst of humanity.

#10258 2 years ago

The animations needed help. It was my biggest gripe with yesterday's stream. Fixing the animations and adding more real movie assets will turn this game into something very special. It has been said they are adding alot more assets. Just not sure if the animations will properly be addressed. I truly hope they do.

That said I really appreciate all of the hard work and effort that has went into this game thus far. I'm in and staying in. Hope this is not taken the wrong way.

#10259 2 years ago

Can't believe I didn't check deadflips channel. People are going to be really happy with their purchases.

#10260 2 years ago

I ordered a Halloween CE and was curious. Any possibility I can swap my Halloween Software to play the Ultraman software? I mean layout and switches are the same, just aesthetics is different. Would be great to flash the software I'm in the mood to play. Please Spooky, hook it up!

#10261 2 years ago

I asked this in the stream but I did not get a response. Just like Shrek and Family Guy. Would be cool to have two for 1

#10262 2 years ago

You will be able to interchange software between both games...there should be no issue there. Spooky doesn’t recommend it but...it’s not gonna brick your game.

Quoted from PinCheese:

I ordered a Halloween CE and was curious. Any possibility I can swap my Halloween Software to play the Ultraman software? I mean layout and switches are the same, just aesthetics is different. Would be great to flash the software I'm in the mood to play. Please Spooky, hook it up!

#10263 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

You will be able to interchange software between both games...there should be no issue there. Spooky doesn’t recommend it but...it’s not gonna brick your game.

How come they do not recommend it? Mainly asking if it's a support issue or subtle differences in layout

#10264 2 years ago

I have no clue if this is considered finished content or not, and frankly...my opinion on Halloween specifics doesn't matter. I'm not a buyer and wasn't ever going to be.

You have no clue? You watched the video to obviously Critique it but you didn't hear bug say over and over that the code is early and alot it being added in?
Sorry I just can't anymore with this nonsense...lol

#10265 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

It's not the looping that's the problem, it's the fact that it's not smoothly done. Like there's basically 3 or 4 frames with some bobbing of the head added in, and it's....jerky. I get what the idea was here, and it's not a bad idea, but the differences in shading, and the lack of more intermediate frames are killing that animation for me. The one where she's looking straight ahead and the looking-back-right one look like they were drawn or modeled by someone else entirely, primarily because there's a highlight on the cheek and the back of the face, respectively, while all the other positions look flat shaded. The hair is flat in all of the frames. He'd have to say if that's because it's not fully finished or not. I don't know the movie well enough to comment on how it looks versus the movie. A bit of shading on the other two poses, and adding a heavier black line under the jaw on the looking forward frame would bring them more in line, and clean that specific animation up, IMO. The style just needs to be more consistent from position to position.
I don't know how you'd make it NOT jerky and still have her wildly looking around like that, so that's the lesser problem to me, by far.
Just my personal opinion. I'm not saying this to be harsh, but aside from the repetitiveness of the sound, this was the most "stand out not in a great way" part of what we saw of Halloween. I didn't say anything about it earlier because again.....I have no clue if this is considered finished content or not, and frankly...my opinion on Halloween specifics doesn't matter. I'm not a buyer and wasn't ever going to be.
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"cbe44263dea54c318a5be081c3c145b17d4f3706-1628508485-1800"};
//]]>

You have no clue if this I finished content or not??? You watched the video to obviously Critique it but you didn't hear bug say over and over that the code is early and alot it being added in?

#10266 2 years ago
Quoted from PinCheese:

How come they do not recommend it? Mainly asking if it's a support issue or subtle differences in layout

$$$

#10267 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

So Scooby Doo is next?

Was Bugs shirt at Allentown last week a hint or just another red herring?

6047F564-40A1-46F9-8A06-2023F2A7A276 (resized).jpeg6047F564-40A1-46F9-8A06-2023F2A7A276 (resized).jpeg
#10268 2 years ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

Was Bugs shirt at Allentown last week a hint or just another red herring?
[quoted image]

It was an amazing troll job.

#10269 2 years ago
Quoted from PinCheese:

If nothing else, it would be a licensing issue, as machines are licensed for one theme.

#10270 2 years ago
Quoted from PinCheese:

I am just guessing, but I am sure they don't want to have to officially support it on the IT side.

#10271 2 years ago
Quoted from TeamUp:

You have no clue if this I finished content or not??? You watched the video to obviously Critique it but you didn't hear bug say over and over that the code is early and alot it being added in?

Oh please, STFU. The guy complained that the other guy didn't give any positive suggestions to improve it, so YES, I took the chance to go back, actually look at it, and clearly outline what bothers me about the animation. So, you either get bitched at for not saying why you think it sucks, or you get bitched at by some 46 post lurker just waiting to find an excuse to get a dig in, for explaining why immediately after someone wants to know why. This place is such a ridiculous sh----hole some times....

If you actually listened to what they were saying in the video, it sure sounded like the stuff that was actually being shown was considered finished content, but I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt, and so should other people, which was my ENTIRE POINT.....but clearly that was too dense for you to chew on.

#10272 2 years ago
Quoted from PlanetExpress:

If nothing else, it would be a licensing issue, as machines are licensed for one theme.

This exactly. They pay a per-game fee to the IP owner.

#10273 2 years ago
Quoted from ClassicHornet:

I'm so glad that Spooky is in the mix, because they are really the only pinball manufacturer that I would buy from, ( & CGC ) quality seems on point & kudos for having a red hot crack, I'm sure in the future they will produce something that appeals to me & ill have no hesitation to buy. As we all know; not every theme or layout / gameplay is for everyone. Super happy for all those peeps that wanted and got one, hope you have many years of fun with them. Now im hangin out for the next spooky title.

Im kind of with u on this. I have never owned a Spooky but its getting close now. JJP has no customer support and i dont like Stern pins. I have and love my older bally williams so im really trying to decide where my $ is going now. It was going towards toy story but im not buying jjp nib ever again.

#10274 2 years ago

Im in agreement 100% here - to me it just didnt look good. Especially the one where she was looking around. Im sure they have a long way to go (in a way they dont though?) but Im not sure I understand the direction with the still jerky images and some lighting affects. Wasnt clicking with me. Maybe the video clips will compliment it. Hopefully I am proven wrong and will like the final product - I have no understanding of what the animator is capable of or have seen examples to base anything on other than a post here. I wish I did as then I could understand the final vision.

Music was too repetitive - these were the 2 things that really stood out for me.

As for the code and ball staging etc - full confidence in that improving as Spooky has mentioned as much.

Quoted from Frax:

The style just needs to be more consistent from position to position.
Just my personal opinion. I'm not saying this to be harsh, but aside from the repetitiveness of the sound, this was the most "stand out not in a great way" part of what we saw of Halloween.

#10275 2 years ago

Yeah, and to be fair, I have some criticism about Ultraman as well. Scores look small and harder to read than HW, and they may need to tone down that sound that plays when the ball hits the slings....like...I can definitely see that getting to be annoying. It's super loud and when they're being hit all the time in multiball....oof. I like the sound effect, reminds me of 80's pins, but the volume on it might need some looking at.

We already know there's at least one bug currently with sound levels. Could easily be a part of that.

#10276 2 years ago

I dunno, I thought both games LCD screens looked fine and I am more than ok with what we've seen so far. Halloween I thought had a kind of a sweet comic book vibe to the animations, felt like I was seeing an old school Marvel comic adaptation of the movie. Loved those as a kid so I dig the animations so far. Looking forward to seeing what else is added in.

#10277 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Yeah, and to be fair, I have some criticism about Ultraman as well. Scores look small and harder to read than HW, and they may need to tone down that sound that plays when the ball hits the slings....like...I can definitely see that getting to be annoying. It's super loud and when they're being hit all the time in multiball....oof. I like the sound effect, reminds me of 80's pins, but the volume on it might need some looking at.
We already know there's at least one bug currently with sound levels. Could easily be a part of that.

That has been my only criticism so far. The screen is not as readable as Halloween. Not a fan of how they laid out the information for players. It really isn't a deal breaker for me since it's not something I am looking at most of the time. Hopefully they can redesign the layout a bit but I am not holding my breath.

#10278 2 years ago

I can't see complaining about how the display looks on a Video Stream. Same with the lighting and the sound.

These are not things that have much chance of coming across well in a Stream Setting.

Both games looked like they played great. Not a lot of issues there that can't be ascribed to mics, and setup.

Very excited to be in on an UMce.

#10279 2 years ago

*disregard, quotes were messed up causing confusion

#10280 2 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

can't see complaining about how the display looks on a Video Stream. Same with the lighting and the sound.

These are not things that have much chance of coming across well in a Stream Setting.

........the screen part is a direct feed from the machine to the compositor software. It's not like there's a camera pointed at it from far away.

LEDs always show poorly in digital photography because CCD sensors pick up extra light that we can't actually see and put it in a visible spectrum on the screen.

#10281 2 years ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

I thought you bought a BSE Halloween per your 'current collection' list?

That was a quoted part of my post, actually.

#10282 2 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

I can't see complaining about how the display looks on a Video Stream.

I am speaking from first hand experience playing the game. Again, not a deal breaker but the layout and design of the assets could use a bit more design direction.

#10283 2 years ago

No complaints here just observations and opinion. I don’t prefer the comic book type look on a classic horror theme. Makes sense on Avengers but on Halloween? Brief moments of it are fine but the same image going through the same jerky cycle over and over idk. I’m guessing what we saw was just way too early but still what I did see is not my thing.

Some would say who cares you won’t be looking at the screen while playing and I would agree - but as a buyer I’m interested in the whole package being as amazing as possible.

Hopefully the guy who posted on here has some amazing stuff up his sleeve and this is just the beginning

#10284 2 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Hopefully the guy who posted on here has some amazing stuff up his sleeve

He seems real adamant to hit a homerun for the Halloween owners. People don't talk about their projects like that if they think they're not on the right track, or if they're not real excited to be doing their job. I don't think anyone needs to worry at this point, just typical Pinside flying off the handle, but with an added twist of "HOW DARE YOU CRITIQUE ANYTHING OBJECTIVELY" going on....

Seems quite a lot like another situation that's been going on, come to think of it.

#10285 2 years ago

You forgot the whole "STOP BEING SO IMPATIENT" thing

Quoted from Frax:

"HOW DARE YOU CRITIQUE ANYTHING OBJECTIVELY" going on....
Seems quite a lot like another situation that's been going on, come to think of it.

#10286 2 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

You forgot the whole "STOP BEING SO IMPATIENT" thing

Personal bias, not going to lie about it. Frankly, I would've been fine waiting even longer for the stream.

#10287 2 years ago

Anyone else thrown off my the whole "Spooky" branding. I get it fits them, and it was cute when they started out, but I feel like they're a rapidly growing company, and maybe it's time for a rebrand.

Ultraman isn't "spooky", neither is R&M. Feel like they sort of typecast themselves with this name.

Emery Pinball maybe? Just always see that BSD plaque and Ghost on my TNA as a weird eyesore.

Anyhow, that's just the marketing in me coming out.

I like that we have another serious player here to give the big boys some competition. You need that in every industry!

#10288 2 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

Anyone else thrown off my the whole "Spooky" branding. I get it fits them, and it was cute when they started out, but I feel like they're a rapidly growing company, and maybe it's time for a rebrand.
Ultraman isn't "spooky", neither is R&M. Feel like they sort of typecast themselves with this name.
Emery Pinball maybe? Just always see that BSD plaque and Ghost on my TNA as a weird eyesore.
I like that we have another serious player here to give the big boys some competition. You need that in every industry!

I find it pretty endearing actually. The less corporate... the better.

#10289 2 years ago

I like the branding, it sets them apart. “Emery Pinball” doesn’t sound necessarily fun, interesting or exciting to me. And not every game that Spooky makes has to be a horror slasher supernatural thing. It is working for them and they selling out games. Why try to fix what’s not broken?

#10290 2 years ago

Agreed. I personally love the branding. It has personality that fits the company and team culture. It’s more fun/offbeat than scary… which fits their non-mainstream themes.

Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

I like the branding, it sets them apart. “Emery Pinball” doesn’t sound necessarily fun, interesting or exciting to me. And not every game that Spooky makes has to be a horror slasher supernatural thing. It is working for them and they selling out games. Why try to fix what’s not broken?

#10291 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Have to find a new angle to bitch about lol.

#10292 2 years ago

Have you seen the underside of a R&M machine?! It doesn't get any more "spooky" than that!

#10293 2 years ago

Anyone else thrown off my the whole "Spooky" branding. (Wizardscastles statement)

Not at all. Matter of fact whenever I say spooky out loud it brings a smile to my face. Whenever I mention spooky pinball to friends their immediately interested compared to when I say stern pinball or jersey jack pinball. The word spooky sounds intriguing and elicits a thirst to want to know more.(my response)

Emery Pinball maybe? Just always see that BSD plaque and Ghost on my TNA as a weird eyesore.(wizards castle statement)

No offense to the owners of that name as it's a fine name, but yuck when I say that out loud. Spooky pinball rings the senses and stays implanted in the mind forever. As for the ghost i see it as a badge of honor and looks so fn cool as do all that see it in my gameroom. No clue how you could even mention weird eyesore. But hey, you like what you like, I like what I like. PLEASE SPOOKY, never change your name and please dont lose the branding. Kinda like your autograph, but 100× better as real autographs are just plain silly imo. (My response)

(Sorry I messed up in the quoting department , so I tried my best to point out who said what. Didnt want to retype after I saw what I had done as it's not my strong point)

#10294 2 years ago

If the company gets big enough they can have a Board of Directors.

An... EMERY BOARD.

tenor.giftenor.gif
#10295 2 years ago

Many worse names for companies out there than Spooky Pinball!

Master Bait (resized).jpgMaster Bait (resized).jpg
#10296 2 years ago

Do you expect a serious or gruff pin from Stern? Or I suppose it could mean a boat’s ass as well… do you expect an ass pin from Stern?

#10298 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Good points made!

#10299 2 years ago
9F10ECC5-1861-4F81-A8FC-A61E07241FB9 (resized).jpeg9F10ECC5-1861-4F81-A8FC-A61E07241FB9 (resized).jpeg
#10300 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

I am speaking from first hand experience playing the game. Again, not a deal breaker but the layout and design of the assets could use a bit more design direction.

I agree. Up to this point the whole Spooky team have done an amazing job and I am sure all aspects will get a lot better and tweaked over time.

The Light shows look awesome and gameplay and playfield look great.

Yeah,After rewatching the stream and just concentrating on the display, there is definitely some more tweaking work to be done there.

Just my observations and not griping as I know Spooky have more coding to do.

-sound from slings, I love the sound, but seems overpowering everything else in multiball (I know the sound coming through wasn’t ideal so maybe not noticeable with in person play)
- I love the display style from the show(some tweaks no doubt still to be done)
-Font style (not bad but could possibly be bettered more Ultraman-ie)
-text positioning at times.
-there were some Kaiju battles and instructions to start modes that constantly had text across the screen telling you what you had to do, maybe this doesn’t need to stay on the screen all the time once you have had time to read it and the playfield has flashing clues. This was covering up some cool video clips.(also see dial section of screen)
-Maybe where the dial is on the LHS this could be opened up as a screen(when required) for instructions, to keep them seperate from the main video plays and combos and score flashes etc.
-not sure if any instructions are in the callouts(as in TSPP ‘shoot the garage’) as could not really here call outs in the setup that was streamed.

-Maybe the ‘super jackpot values’ on screen in multiball could be done like the ‘next combo value’ or interchangeable here. (Please also see dial area of screen)
-text also stayed up on the screen there and overlapped with new text at times. Looks a bit messy.
-red text on red background of map difficult to read. The white text looked great.
-I like the animations coming in from the side. These are pretty awesome.
-the video clips from the TV series are fantastic.
-haven’t seen any games in person but the scores were difficult to see/read.
-hopefully someone can tell me. Not sure what the red light under the dial on the screen indicated.
-not sure why there are 3 seperate boxes for balls left. Pretty sure I am not going to have up to 999 balls remaining. Maybe there are other plans for this section?
Maybe this area could be used for something else. This could be your super jackpot score area. And then the ‘balls left’ could go under the dial on the left side. Possibly. This will line up boarders etc around these section more evenly.

As said not griping just observations and I am one that is super happy with my purchase of Ultraman and can’t wait to play in person.
Awesome work done so far from the Spooky Team. Keeping the pinball passion alive and well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

10,500 (OBO)
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinbald Mods

$ 320.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

4,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 60.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinhead mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 13,405 posts in this topic. You are on page 206 of 269.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-2021-game-speculation-thread/page/206 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.