Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by dvandentop
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

He told me his next big project will be to make Capcom's Kingpin. As far as I know, there are 9 machines in existence. He explained the feature of the game where if you don't make certain shots the flippers weaken and die. Very cool concept. He was pretty excited and enthusiastic about it. He also mentioned how he lost money when he reproduced and sold BBB. So I am sure Kingpin will cost more than the less than $5000 issue price of BBB.
    Gene also told me about his plans to release Wizard Blocks for Pinball 2000. Either as a full machine or as an add on kit like the SWEP1 kit. It will utilize the Nucore system. This wont happen for another 7 months to a year because he wants to get started on Kingpin first.

dendoh

PS: I might as well copy and paste this into RGP and Pinball Enthusiasts on Facebook. But it is here first.

#2 11 years ago

I see these "I talked to gene" posts often, from what I know they don't mean much.

#3 11 years ago

Not to rain on your parade but Unless Gene and Rick have come to some sort of agreement wizard blocks is just not gonna happen. Let alone Chuck is busy with his new company so i doubt he has much time to devote to anything nucore right now. Last time i asked Chuck he just said NOT likely anytime soon.

Kingpin has been a fizzle for years. Gene's weak ass excuse on the cpu needing to be reversed engineered is complete SHIT. Why...um pretty sure its emulated via pinmame.......so anybody that believes that is just well special. It's easier to re do the cpu board based fromt eh ground up to run the code. His excuse here is oh well people want it to be the same as Capcom. I call B.S on that too at this point people realize its this way or no way. You think people would have not bought bbb if it ran off a willams cpu if it was possible or a custom rig? I dont. People just want to play the game. I dont believe anything Gene says as he is a pathological liar.

#4 11 years ago

This is nothing new, by any means. Kingpin is going to cost $8000, when and if he ever gets to it. He has been promising production to begin "in a month or two" for 2 years.

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Not to rain on your parade but Unless Gene and Rick have come to some sort of agreement Wizard Blocks is just not gonna happen. Let alone Chuck is busy with his new company so i doubt he has much time to devote to anything nucore right now. Last time i asked Chuck he just said NOT likely anytime soon.

Kingpin has been a fizzle for years. Gene's weak ass excuse on the cpu needing to be reversed engineered is complete SHIT. Why...um pretty sure its emulated via pinmame.......so anybody that believes that is just well special. It's easier to re do the cpu board based fromt eh ground up to run the code. His excuse here is oh well people want it to be the same as Capcom. I call B.S on that too at this point people realize its this way or no way. You think people would have not bought bbb if it ran off a willams cpu if it was possible or a custom rig? I dont. People just want to play the game. I dont believe anything Gene says as he is a pathological liar.

You seem to be on a first name basis with these people. Can you prove anything you are saying here?
    I feel that Gene isn't getting any younger and he really wants to make these things happen. If I am wrong, so what. I am just reporting what he told me yesterday (May 4, 2012).

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from dendoh:

So I am sure Kingpin will cost more than the less than $5000 issue price of BBB.

The price has been raised from $7,000 when the project was first proposed to $8,000 now:

http://www.bbbstuff.com/Kingpin_Info/kingpin_info.html

#7 11 years ago

There is nothing to prove really. Gene has been saying for years like gambit says 2 months. When asked what the hold up is its MY guy has not cracked CPU yet. There is nothing to crack its been done for years in pinmame. You can play Kingpin in visual pinball.

No secret Chuck as well as larry demar and a bunch of other big wigs started this company http://spookycool.com

Your not wrong Gene tells that stuff to anyone who will listen like Wayno did with the MM remake.

Sorry if its not what you wanted to hear but it is the truth people that have been around in the hobby long enough know this.

This happens alot people that are somewhat new talk to gene get all siked on WB. Trust me i would love for WB to get finished. I know nucore is able to run the WMS version right now. Just no tables to run it. I have played WB in person the spinning lights are badass. He offered the game as well as the 3 extra tables for sale a few years back at his open house. Price was crazy though like 10g a table.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from dendoh:

Gene also told me about his plans to release Wizard Blocks for Pinball 2000. Either as a full machine or as an add on kit like the SWEP1 kit. It will utilize the Nucore system. This wont happen for another 7 months to a year because he wants to get started on Kingpin first.

I hope He does the full machine!

#9 11 years ago

I also sat and talked to Gene for a while at PATZ. He claims that the reverse engineering has been completed and that a test run was going to be made on another Capcom machine(Airborne) that he has with the prototype logic.

Yes , he is saying soon, again.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Unless Gene and Rick have come to some sort of agreement Wizard Blocks is just not gonna happen.

+1 Would be nice, but sadly it won't happen.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Kingpin is going to cost $8000

If it ever gets done, it will be more like $10K, maybe $12k.

He needs to get back some of the money he lost on BBB, and now he doesn't have "free" CPU's like he did with BBB.

Besides, with BBB going for $15k now, $12k would probably be a reasonable price of another limited edition machine.

Robert

#12 11 years ago

Talk of making this game is old. People need to move on. Ain't gonna happen

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

AkumaZeto said:

Unless Gene and Rick have come to some sort of agreement Wizard Blocks is just not gonna happen.

+1 Would be nice, but sadly it won't happen.

I Never say never!

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

He claims that the reverse engineering has been completed

Is that the one where you take the top off an IC and read it ?

You need to get in deep when talking exact details of what has been done.

LTG

#15 11 years ago

I saved up for Kingpin a few years back after I talked to Gene. Got my 'preorder' in as well. Since the project still hasn't gone anywhere, that money went toward WOZECLE...

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Is that the one where you take the top off an IC and read it ?

You need to get in deep when talking exact details of what has been done.

LTG

I am generally speaking...of course!!!

#17 11 years ago

believe it when i see it

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spoke-to-gene-cunningham-at-pinfest-2012 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.