Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,232 posts
  • 311 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 33 hours ago by acedanger
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi was...”

• garbage, the worst of the main films 243 votes
      34%
    • decent, better than the prequels 251 votes
      35%
    • really good, on par with the originals 80 votes
      11%
    • great! one of the best 80 votes
      11%
    • who cares, star wars sucks 55 votes
      8%

(709 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ss1-trapped (resized).jpg
    fantastic_four_1961_48_3 (resized).jpg
    d0c0aa785c9ed124 (resized).jpeg
    b881ebbaf721aff4 (resized).jpeg
    1 (56) (resized).JPG
    the-acolyte-databank-feature-article-feature_536e2878 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1dd86362581cee58daeaeaef82eb6037 (resized).jpg
    the-acolyte-teaser-poster_506fd466 (resized).jpeg
    1 (resized).jpg
    2 (resized).jpg
    3 (resized).jpg
    6aw3vw8uep501 (resized).jpg
    GGtWnNMWMAAWx0I (resized).png
    nickcole1 (resized).png
    d4109923eb01c73d (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2827 Analysis worth watching. Posted by gdonovan (5 years ago)

Post #3520 Path to get Disney + discounted. Thanks @fosaisu Posted by fosaisu (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#607 6 years ago
    Quoted from dzoomer:

I'll be interested in where such predictions go. So much disparity from main stream press.
    From Entertainment Weekly, a large pop culture publication.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/12/21/rian-johnson-star-wars-last-jedi-backlash/

This isn’t really saying anything contrary - it’s saying the critics loved it (they did), and that people are —going to see it— a lot, apparently. It will still be the #1 movie according to the projections this week. That’s pretty strong. Based on the reactions I wonder if even some of the haters are going again?

#633 6 years ago

We just went to see it last night - 4:15 matinee show. Theater was FULL. Sold out. Seems a good indicator that it's still performing ok. Movie was ok, I understood some of the criticism but my main issue is the movie was just too damn long! 3 hours in a Theater is way too much.

I liked Rose quite a bit - i thought it was really interesting how they emasculated Finn, he became a secondary character. I thought she was a good addition as the "average joe" person's perspective, sort of "one person can make a difference". despite this I did feel like they could have cut the WHOLE middle hour. And so much of the time with Luke was wasted. The "next generation must take the reins" was WAY too heavy handed for me. Luke better be in ep 9.

That all said, I thought the ending came back very strong, and I loved how Luke stuck to his convictions (such as they were) but still came through. The new people who they are HANDING THE SERIES TO came off way too lame, IMO. Kylo Ren is a moody teenager, not scary, not a credible leader, empire is a total mess. And it felt like the rebellion solved all their problems in the last scene. So where to next?

I can't tell if I disliked what happened in the movie, or the movie itself. And I think ... ugh, both.

#638 6 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

The gross is really immaterial, it is the net that counts.
    The Profit.
    Disney easy has $600 million in this one between making and promotion, not to mention what was paid for the franchise. As was already explained they only get 50% of the theater take in the US and about 25% overseas, this is why the domestic box office is so important to studios.
    My gross paycheck is not as important as the net that goes in the bank every week.

Just to clarify a misconception we’ve repeated a couple times here - theatres and studios do NOT take a 50/50 split. In many theatre chains it is more like 70/30, which is why popcorn costs so astronomically much. When a movie is a big hit the second week is when the theaters really start to see good returns. Plus the theaters “rent” the movie prints from the studios (yes they still do this even though it’s digital) which can cost $60,000 per week per screen.

So that’s a lot of tickets and popcorn you need to sell. The box office grosses are purely from ticket sales, not all the back end additional accounting schemes that get taken into account.

Also, the giant marketing cost that gets thrown around as the same as the cost of the film is totally made up. The studios own most of the departments that do the marketing, but are incorporated as different companies than the department actually making the film. So the marketing “cost” is paying people to do the work that already work for the studio, and leasing assets already owned by the studio to be used by itself. It’s like paying yourself for putting up your own eBay ad, then writing off that amount as an “expense”. Why the studios can get away wit this but I can’t on my taxes is beyond me.

Anyway my point is, those marketing costs are inflated as a way to justify huge writeoffs so a movie never actually makes any money. Then the studio doesn’t have to pay the big name actors and director points on the back end, taxes are low because there never any “profit” yet the studios never go out of business.

#645 6 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Often times it's on a scale detailed in the contract. The usual scale is similar to the following
    Week 1 - 2: 30 - 50 percent goes to the theater, the rest to the studio (this is why a large box office opening weekend is desirable)
    Week 3 - 5: 40 - 60 percent goes to the theater
    Week 5 - 8: (if a film gets this far, its often a sub-run theater (less expensive theaters that show new movies a few weeks after opening)) 60 - 80 percent goes to the theater

Bingo. Although those numbers are about 10 years old. It’s gotten worse depending on whether or not something Is a blockbuster

#646 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Wow she hit the nail on the head.
    I just want a movie where things make sense. 3 of the dumbest things involved Finn and Rose their plot should never have happened:
    1) They're about to be executed, blades drawn, the explosion saves them. All the armored soldiers around them are dead, and Phasma has (for some reason) teleported 100 yards away. Wtf?????
    2) Rose not letting Finn sacrifice himself. I guess so they can have a love triangle? But can that happen? Disney seems to have a "no romance" policy across all its films now.
    3) Somehow Finn drags Rose back to base, across miles of terrain, faster than their ships took them in the first place, without being killed by 10 Walkers with "Leave no prisoners!" Orders.

1) I figured she was hit by the explosion

2) why not? I thought I would HATE this but found myself surprised at how delicately they did this. .. then they smooched and I thought “ok one bridge too far...”

3) I got nothing. But to be fair - not that important to the plot. It’s inportant that Finn get her back, not exactly HOW. They were all transfixed by Luke, OBVIOUSLY! Lol

#657 6 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Didn't you know Jedi's could fly in space?

I’m glad I read about this scene before I saw the movie - it was not Nearly as bad as I expected. I think it sets up things nicely for Leia’s Kid to come back in the next movie, and with full force powers. As to who that is...

3 months later
    #1696 6 years ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Nobody posted a link to the new Solo trailer yet? I am surprised.
    » YouTube video

I was really torn on TLJ when i saw it, although I thought the strong ending they gave Luke was very good - but that’s kinda it. I liked the little boy at the end staring hopefully into the sky after force-grabbing his broom, but ... literally just that shot.

The post about TLJ reversing everything set up in TFA was spot on. Reverse some stuff, ok ... but no payoff at all of any of the set ups?? Now there is no mystery at all. It’s like EP1 all over again! Bring back the midichlorians!

Anyway, I think nostalgia was keeping me from acknowledging how much I actually hated TLJ. I didn’t realize how much until the Solo trailer came out. I could not possibly care less at this point. And my kid, who is 8, who is THE TARGET DEMOGRAPHIC (at least for merchandising) does not care either. Colossal fail.

#1700 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Something's really fishy with this Solo movie.
    Sure the screenwriter wrote some classics, but aside from Force Awakens (which 100% felt like a JJ script) he hasn't had a hit since The Bodyguard. 26 years ago! And yet he has the clout to get the directors fired? (because they were improvising on his dialog) Since when does the screenwriter have ANY clout?

Lawrence Kasdan(?!?). He’s a legend. Not recently But I believe it 100%. He also wrote Empire, so you know... there’s that

#1706 6 years ago
    Quoted from Flowst:

Saw the new Solo trailer, and I can't tell if I have TLJ goggles on....gave me an "uh oh" vibe.
    I might like Alden in other roles, but he just looks wrong as Han Solo to me.

Yep something seems “off”. They should have made a Lando prequel. Now THAT I will see, you know that would be funny

#1708 6 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

I still think Lando should have been the code breaker they were seeking in TLJ

That would have been awesome, but it would have made the rest of the movie hurt worse...

#1716 6 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

If Lawrence wrote Solo....I'm IN!

It’s him AND his kid Jon, so .. hard to know what to expect. Hopefully a little tough love got into the script so it’s not Larry selling a POS

10 months later
    #2889 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Isnt that exactly what Marvel did though, not release the title until the trailer? This would be the first Star Wars movie they ever did that with. Not that I care or anything matters, the new movie will sadly still probably suck. Its just interesting that they aren't releasing the name.

It’s probably a good idea at this point - with all the bad vibes from the (pretty lamely named) TLJ, any name now will get eviscerated. They probably want footage to go along with it and
    Lessen the sting of Star Wars: The Alliance Rises, or whatever it is

#2893 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Reading rumors that Lando wont even be in the film that much. Seriously Disney at this point just make Episode 9 about killing off all remaining original trilogy characters. Have a swarm of Porgs take Chewi out. Rey and Kylo can team up to destroy R2D2 and C3P0. Finally have Lando come in the final minutes of the movie to rescue his old pal Nien Nunb and say "lets get the hell of out here baby" as they board the Falcon only to get blown up minutes later!
    Just like Kylo said in Episode 8...forget the past, kill it if you have to. Do it Disney!!! Lol

Man, they might as well. Even as much as I dislike the Prequels, they didn’t make me HATE SW. I really enjoyed TFA too, but TLJ made me hate SW. amazing job they did, in only 1 movie!

#2899 5 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

This just popped up in my news feed....
    Rian Johnson Leaves Planned Star Wars Trilogy
    https://comicbook.com/starwars/amp/2019/02/14/rian-johnson-leaves-planned-star-wars-trilogy/

Well thank god for that. Don’t let the door hit you on your way out.

Actual footage of Disney execs’ final meeting with Rian Johnson:

07172683-B648-4490-84A3-F5684237123D (resized).jpeg07172683-B648-4490-84A3-F5684237123D (resized).jpeg
    #2902 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Now reading that the rumors are false and he is doing a new trilogy....

Yep, it’s even on the original link too. My guess is they’ll throw good money after bad for a while even if Ep IX tanks - they’ve got a lot invested and they paid what, 4B for Lucasfilm so they’ve got to get that back eventually. Terrible way to go about it though...

#2912 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

There are few good videos out there about this subject... not Kiri specifically but its the realization of "get woke - go broke" and how people are sick of having SJW movements crammed down their throat in every single aspect of entertainment from sports shows to sci-fi movies, and its backfiring for companies as such Disney and they're cutting the fat so to say

Help me understand this mentality. The Last Jedi and Solo -sucked-! ... but it wasn’t because there happen to be a few female characters in it. ALL of the characters were horrible, because that movie pissed all over every other Star Wars theme, history and character.

Rogue One was a great movie with a female lead. So what? I don’t get what that has to do with anything. If the stories are good, people are into it. If they’re not, they bail. There’s lots of other things to spend your money on that IS good.

I think I read that Captain marvel is projected to open at 100 million first weekend based on early sales. And that’s Disney too right? Also, WTF is SJW?

#2914 5 years ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

Social Justice Warriors

Apparently I’m going to have to look that up.

#2922 5 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

https://cosmicbook.news/captain-marvel-trouble
    Speaking of SJW... They have been hyping this movie like crazy, as we get closer to show time the pullback has started.
    I don't know anyone who "wants" to see this movie. In the comix she isn't even a second string character and the trailers have been underwhelming. It doesn't help Brie Larson comes across as wooden in them and has started spouting BS at press conferences.
    Get woke, go broke.

I don't know about all the political stuff you're talking about.. it's only a movie.. but a $100M opening weekend is BIG. That's how big Wonder Woman opened, and Aquaman , which was a
    major release, opened at "only" $70M. 100M in ONE weekend is massive

#2926 5 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I will wait for actual box office receipts on opening weekend from box office mojo
    The "projected ticket sales" months before release seems to be the newest scam in trying to plump up movie goers to turn out.
    FYI- I go to movies to be entertained, its what I'm paying for. A number of movies now are placing the entertainment in the backseat and being used as vehicles to preach certain political or social values the movie maker wishes to convey. We saw this in The Last Jedi, which is a factor along with bad writing as to why it is so poorly regarded.
    In all honesty there has always been a subset of movies that had politics or values the filmmaker wanted projected, but usually in a subtle manner as they still wished to turn a tidy profit and entertainment was foremost.
    Now messages are being applied with a hammer and making a profit is less of a concern.

Clearly you have never worked in Hollywood . Nothing is mightier than the dollar

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spoilers-star-wars-the-last-jedi-is-really-bad-spoilers?tu=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.