2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,654 posts
  • 285 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by wesman
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi was...”

• garbage, the worst of the main films 211 votes
      33%
    • decent, better than the prequels 239 votes
      37%
    • really good, on par with the originals 78 votes
      12%
    • great! one of the best 73 votes
      11%
    • who cares, star wars sucks 42 votes
      7%

(643 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 295 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

starwarsgarbage-1 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200205-020016_Chrome (resized).jpg
    e125246d7cffebcb (resized).jpg
    hand (resized).jpeg
    20 (resized).png
    19 (resized).png
    18 (resized).jpg
    17 (resized).jpg
    16 (resized).jpg
    15 (resized).jpg
    14 (resized).jpg
    13 (resized).jpg
    12 (resized).jpg
    11 (resized).jpg
    10 (resized).jpg
    9 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #2827 Analysis worth watching. Posted by gdonovan (1 year ago)

Post #3520 Path to get Disney + discounted. Thanks @fosaisu Posted by fosaisu (6 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider okayestpinballer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2034 1 year ago

A movie costs on average about $15 and 2 hours of your life.

You spend the next 5 months and countless dollars of wasted productivity whinging on about it.

PRICELE$$

1 week later
    #2072 1 year ago

It's not like you would have liked Lucas's 7-9 either.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a21343712/george-lucas-star-wars-7-9-plot/

"True fans" won't be happy with anything beyond Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back.

Maybe it's time to realize that the movies aren't being made for the "true fans" ("super fans", etc.) and avoid the prolonged disappointment?

#2107 1 year ago

Han Solo was very buff in Temple.

1 week later
    #2221 1 year ago

The Latest Jedi is available on Netflix streaming. It's a director's cut/special edition made specifically for the diehard fans who felt personally wronged by the theatrical version. At the end of the credits there is information on how to participate in a class action lawsuit against Disney for egregious pain and suffering. Let the healing begin.

#2252 1 year ago

Does anybody really think the 3 current movies would have been drastically better if Lucas had made them?

I don't remeber the prequels being all that great...

#2285 1 year ago
    07gud9hmra711 (resized).jpg
    #2297 1 year ago

I don't like sand!

3 weeks later
    #2352 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

People are putting 2+2 together and starting to investigate. Where is the first place you going to look?
    Social media of course. You would be amazed what people will blurt out in public.
    Check out this site if you have the stomach, Hollywood is truly a cesspool.
    http://www.crazydaysandnights.net/

The tweets by James Gunn are not at all funny and disgusting. I don't blame Disney for cutting ties with him.

Say stupid things on public record, win stupid prizes.

Unfortunately that doesn't carry all the way up to the highest position of power in the US.

2 weeks later
    #2402 1 year ago

I look forward to Disney running out of ideas and doing an Avengers / Star Wars cross-over in the not too distant future.

Could Iron Man defeat a Sith Lord?

1_jJkxoMP1xVWZPmTpXV7Fnw (resized).jpeg
    1 month later
    1 year later
    #3646 4 months ago

Trailer looks good to me.

Can't wait to see it on $5 Tuesdays and wrap up the latest trilogy.

1 week later
    #3689 4 months ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

TIt’s not only that I don’t care one whit about the plot, it’s that I don’t care one whit about the characters either.
    Instead of the emperor, we have Snoke. Instead of Vader, we have Kylo. Instead of Luke, we have Rey. Instead of Han, we get both Finn and Poe. Instead of Yoda, we get Luke. Instead of R2-D2, we get BB-8. So on and so on.
    Not one of the stand-ins, many of them portrayed by talented actors, are nearly as compelling as the originals, many of whom were portrayed by terrible actors.

I'm struggling to think of any movie franchise that has come back 20 years+ after it's predecessor and been as good or better...

Compared to the constraints of a 2 hour movie, I much prefer to watch a season of 6 to 10+ episodes of "prime" television like GOT or Westworld. I have high hopes for the new Disney streaming service, and for upcoming releases on HBO (Watchmen, His Dark Materials) and Amazon (Lord of the Rings).

With this caliber of entertainment, I'm fine with waiting for the few movies I do want to see to end up at Redbox or on streaming rental sites. There are few movies (except Star Wars) that I actually want to see as soon as they hit the theater.

Let's see: HBO, Amazon Prime and Hulu/Disney <= $50/month or 1 to 2 nights at the theater.

Does anyone still use Netflix? They've lost so much good content, and their originals really aren't that exciting. Nowadays you pay for the original content, and the movies are just filler you browse through for 30 minutes before deciding you'd rather just go to bed early.

If you're not heavily into watching sports, all you need is a HDTV antenna for local channels, fast internet and a few streaming channels (which you can rotate between as you wish).

I'm not even sure why they're making movies for theaters any more? Want to go out to see entertainment? Go see a play!

#3693 4 months ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

really? like $10 popcorn and $8 cokes? or $5 candy bars? im not sure I know of a theater that has good food? unless your saying its like an evening out on the town and hit up dinner before the movie?

LOL, yeah I don't know about that!?

Many theaters by me offer pretty decent "lunch/dinner" food (burgers, pizza, salad) at prices comparable to a cheaper sit-down restaurant like "Apple Bees" .

https://www.marcustheatres.com/theatre-dining/menus/big-screen-bistro

2 weeks later
    #3780 3 months ago

In terms of the plot, The Mandalorian reminds me of a children's Saturday Morning cartoon.

1 month later
    #4181 69 days ago

It was just ok. Glad that's over. It felt more like it was a required chore to watch, rather than a film to be enjoyed. Like others have said, it felt way too rushed. I didn't personally have a problem with the previous film (#8), but I think a lot of people would be happier to see that film erased and this current one stretched over 2 movies. Maybe they have enough extra footage (from #8 and #9) to do that?

For me SW told a complete story in the first 3 films (#4 - #6), so I don't consider my childhood ruined by subsequent SW movies, that I would have been OK with never being made. The SW video games have been much more satisfying than any of the movies made since the original trilogy. SW lives on in video games, comics and books. It sucks they couldn't make a movie that was as good as the first 3, but let's be honest... most movies today are pretty forgettable. The Marvel movies make a lot of money, but they are not even close to as good as the original SW movies. Black Panther sucked IMHO.

I do love Rey though. Daisy is adorable and a great Jedi. I would gay smooch her in an instant.

I like Emergency Awesome's reviews:

And Mr. Sunday Movie's:

And then there are Easter Eggs for everything my dumbass missed:

#4182 69 days ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

During that scene, my friend's 5 year old ask why 2 women were kissing.
    Not really the conversation he was looking to have with his son coming out of a Star Wars movie.

Imagine living in a world where a 5 year old has to ask his father why 2 men are killing each other with lasers because their leader told them to?

#4188 69 days ago
    Quoted from zombywoof:

Rey rejected her Palpatine / Sith heritage. At the end of the movie, she buried Luke and Leia's light sabers near the wreckage of uncle Owen's place on Tatooine. An old woman asked her who she is, and she replied that she was a Skywalker, adopting the name in honor of her two teachers.

I agree.

This video from Emergency Awesome was a good enough explanation for me.

Starts at around 4:57 min.

#4196 69 days ago
    Quoted from master_of_chaos:

again, who was the old women on Tatoine in the final sequence?

Your mom.

#4203 69 days ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Lol...the dark side of Pinside

I certainly hope no one was offended by a cheeky version of "who the F knows?"...

She's credited as Tatooine Elder:

https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch?role=nm0278615&job_type=actress

I haven't read or watched anything to indicate she's anyone special. Unlike your mom who's very special.

#4242 67 days ago

Are there many examples of a cherished, ground-breaking movie from the past, being resurrected 20+ years later with a new writer/director, that has received positive feedback?

Even Lucas's attempt at another Trilogy is still strongly hated.

Not to mention, today's internet culture where complaining about sh#t is rewarded with virtual dog-bones. If "social media" was around back when the original trilogy was released, you'd probably have just as many pundits complaining and picking it apart. We all like to bitch... (myself in cluded)

Sure there are a number of great books, comics, video games and cartoons... but these are targeted towards Star Wars nerds who are willing to invest hours into the canon/lore and not just casual fans who want a good popcorn flick with laser swords and space battles.

On a side note, with the very real threat of your planet being blown up, you'd think there would be a lot of venture capital sunk into building a planetary shield that protected against superlasers? I know there was a rudimentary planetary shield in Rouge One, but was there anything else that I'm forgetting?

#4248 67 days ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

It is a kids movie. Disney shouldn’t be deciding how to raise your kids...that’s a parents responsibility.
    Look at Deadpool 2. Look at the one girl from the X-Men (can’t remember name off top of my head). They set her up from the beginning of the movie as having a girlfriend. Later in the movie, she kissed her girlfriend. Guess what? I didn’t care. The movie isn’t meant for children. Second, they actually set up the kiss, by developing the relationship.

You are aware that gay people aren't just mythical movie tropes? Should you blindfold your 5 year old at Disneyland because he might see two women holding hands?

#4249 67 days ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Karate Kid nailed the landing on the return 25 years later. Compelling story that felt like it needed to be told. Treated the original cast well while ushering in the new younger generation of characters. Cobra Kai is a five out five star road map on how to do this stuff, in my personal opinion.

Are you talking about the movie with Jayden Smith or the Netflix series? I have not seen either yet. Thanks.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 16.00
    Boards
    PCB Emporium
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    £ 29.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 29.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    The GameRoom Store
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7.00
    $ 28.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 11.95
    $ 29.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 149.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider okayestpinballer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside