(Topic ID: 205155)

*SPOILERS* Star Wars: TLJ is really bad and other Star Wars/Disney/Marvel talk *

By InfiniteLives

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 3,940 posts
  • 272 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 hours ago by vicjw66
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi was...”

• garbage, the worst of the main films 201 votes
      32%
    • decent, better than the prequels 231 votes
      37%
    • really good, on par with the originals 75 votes
      12%
    • great! one of the best 71 votes
      11%
    • who cares, star wars sucks 41 votes
      7%

(619 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 236 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

37DBCE63-2D08-4D26-BBB7-81E0FE735F85 (resized).jpeg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    dims (resized).jpeg
    8643B809-CB73-45D6-A5DC-002D9099C9CA (resized).jpeg
    98E24434-441F-4301-8514-51C7F411A98C (resized).jpeg
    41972AC0-853E-4176-BCFA-F9E687D6BCBD.gif
    81SmFRdGTkL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    thats-impossible-luke-star-wars-1200x879 (resized).jpg
    BillBurr-720x405 (resized).png
    881F6808-527C-464E-BCEB-E8145B3FE269 (resized).jpeg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    40AC8A23-5366-4647-AAC5-78CE25EE1017 (resized).png
    sluggo (resized).JPG
    4E795214-BF8E-4F1B-9EE2-FE9F96F1C735.gif
    45FE8ADB-3F3E-4F72-99A3-BED7569E80B7 (resized).png
    Tapped_Out_Stupid_Sexy_Flanders (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #2827 Analysis worth watching. Posted by gdonovan (11 months ago)

Post #3520 Path to get Disney + discounted. Thanks @fosaisu Posted by fosaisu (3 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider deaconblooze.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#387 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't think their are critics posting there reviews in fear of them their Disney Execs.

I'm only pointing you're errors because your always so critical of everyone else.

#389 1 year ago

That was the joke, you curmudgeon.

Edit: Yeah, alright, I see that you were poking at someone else in the post I quoted.

The curmudgeon comment stands, though!

#391 1 year ago

At the risk of getting lambasted, here are my thoughts after digesting for a few days..

It was too long. I agree the Finn storyline would be the easiest cut to make. It did add a little depth to the overall story. I liked Del Toro's character.

There were some really cool scenes. I loved the sound cut during the jump to hyperspace to take down the First Order ship.

I would have preferred that it maintain a more serious tone. I actually didn't care that Luke was a little aloof, we might expect that from someone that has had such a heavy burden for so many years (a la Yoda in V). I do feel that the saber toss cheapened the last scene from TFA.

I think Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver are talents.

I feel like an opportunity to give Leia a hero's sendoff was missed.

There were a few scenes that made me cringe. It felt like a board of directors were trying to figure out how to be "hip" to the new generation (I kept thinking of Poochy from the Simpsons). I hated the scene where they contact Maz, for instance.

The theater experience isn't for me. I don't like people clapping or hooting when something happens. The screen doesn't even look as good as I remember, I get much better black levels and contrast on my TV at home (not a particular expensive TV).

Overall, I'm looking forward to watching it again to full grasp what happened.

#508 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

EVERYBODY is a critic now. And most people really have no idea what they are talking about.

You hold 21 of the 506 posts in this thread.

To put it another way, about every 24 posts (on average) you chime in to remind everyone that they shouldn't be worried about having an opinion, to offer your own, or to provide some sanctimonious words of wisdom.

1 week later
    #736 1 year ago

I saw it a second time today. I liked it better the 2nd time. I think I had lower expectations and could just enjoy it for what it was...and I didn't have to piss so bad for the last 40 minutes.

I really think canto bight and that kid are going to be spun off into the new trilogy. It seems out of place here, so that's really my only explanation on why it was included.

The biggest plot hole to me was Del Toro selling out the transports. He didn't even know about the transports (because poe and Finn didn't know at that point)! Until that point, they thought the plan was to disable the tracker so they could make the jump to lightspeed.

That Leia Mary poppins moment was bad. I noticed a bit of foreshadow, she flies right through snoke's projected ship in the former bridge.

Something else that stuck out to me.. during the luke projection I was waiting to see if he made any physical contact. He did, but only with Leia. He only dodged Kylo. So maybe he and Leia had a strong enough connection through the force being siblings .... the others that made a physical connection through the force, kylo and rey Might be a bit of hint that they're related, but the other clues suggest otherwise.

2 months later
    #1528 1 year ago

I'm looking forward to the Solo movie, if for nothing other than Donald Glover. I was excited to hear him cast as Lando. I think he's got the chops and attitude to pull it off, and that's a character I really want to see more of.

I still want SW at this point, but nothing from RJ. I'd be interested to see a SW series, but it has to be done correctly, and advance a storyline to completion. I'm not a fan of comics, but I can't imagine anyone enjoying a show like "agents of shield" or any of the other long-running series that are running. I want to see SW told in long form in a similar fashion to GOT. Get more into the power struggles and minutia. I doubt that happens, though.

I'll certainly hold off on getting a Disney subscription until I can get a feel for the tone of the series.

4 weeks later
    #1781 1 year ago

You must watch this.

1 month later
    #1938 1 year ago

Loved it.

#1949 1 year ago

Solo. Didn't care for last jedi.

#1994 1 year ago

My long-winded thoughts on Solo (and background)..

First, I wasn’t as offended by TLJ as some. I hated Luke tossing the saber, the extra 45m dedicated to Finn and Rose, and the plot holes, but the overall arc for Luke didn’t bother me as much as it did others. It’s the first time I’m not looking forward to watching a SW movie in the home setting (as evidenced by not even purchasing it to date), and I would consider it my second least-favorite (behind only Ep2).

Solo – I had really high expectations from the trailers. Solo is probably my favorite fictional character ever. Lando is the the character I’d most like to see more. Donald Glover wearing fur in a stoic pose in the trailer made me think it really had a shot.

I avoided most material leading up to the movie. I saw the trailer, and I thought it looked promising. We lined up a babysitter and made our plans. We were committed. While bored, I checked to see the reviews the movie was receiving. Low 70s, and the worst reviewed SW movie since whatever. Yikes. My expectations were shattered, and I went in expecting to be disappointed.

Our timing was poor, and we ended up having to eat dinner at the theater rather than going out before the show. That meant eating lackluster over-priced cinema fare, but it also meant that we would be able to see the camaraderie at the theater before the showing!… wait… where is everyone? The environment felt pretty stale when we walked in. Darth Vader and 2 Storm Troopers were there, along with a character I didn’t recognize (later found out he was meant to be the main villain from this movie). There were so few people to demand their attention that I actually feared for a minute that we’d have to interact with them while we used the kiosk to grab our preordered tickets – but we must have done a good enough job ignoring them. It felt like there had been a half-hearted effort to create some excitement, and it just didn’t take and felt very forced.

The theater wasn’t even full. We were in the Ultra Screen theater at 7pm on a Friday night opening weekend. The 2 seats to my right were both empty, and there were other scattered empty spaces throughout the theater. This was in the Madison areas newest, most cutting-edge theater. Non-sequitor: I hate most previews, as I feel like it’s seeing a (often better) 2-minutre version of the movie, but the Queen movie looks great! The guy adjacent to my wife let out the theater’s only “woo!”, which one other excitable fan echoed in reply. That was it, except a few grumbles.

The movie opens and I feel like the first thing everyone is watching for is whether we’re convinced that Alden is Han Solo (or Harrison Ford). I think the first scene does well to make us believe he is Solo. I spent most of the movie watching mannerisms and speech patterns very closely. Overall I think he captured Han Solo, and (probably to his credit) refrained from trying to do a Harrison Ford impersonation. To that point, it was less distracting than I expected, and he never allowed me to persuade myself that I was watching an imposter.

Lando was good, but to me it felt like Donald Glover was doing a bit of an impression, but still did capture the style of Lando. L3 was pretty annoying as a character, but thankfully she was really the only one, and didn’t have a huge role. I actually found her equally annoying to the droid from R1 (but most people loved him).

I had fun. It was a good ride. My annoyances lie in things others tend to like – mention of the Tanaka sisters and Bossk.. cool and everything, but it also makes the world feel that much smaller to me, and takes me out of the moment for a second. The mention of Teras Kai on the other hand was pretty cool! I think I was one of a dozen people that played that game growing up. I’m inconsistent on what easter eggs I like, I suppose, so that’s on me.

In contrast to TLJ, I can’t wait to get this movie into my home. The theater experience isn’t one I particularly enjoy. The sound is usually pretty great, but the seats where the effect is best felt are at a premium. The picture quality to me is lackluster, especially for space scenes. Maybe it’s where I’m sitting, but the colors look washed and the blacks are gray and poorly defined. My $600 TCL at home (love it) does a much better job of producing a quality picture. I can also control the volume to my liking, and I don’t have to pay $8 for a beer. SW is the only movie I’ve gone to the theater for over the past 4-5 years. I don’t have fatigue. I want more, but I want them to be high-quality.

I can’t believe that I enjoyed this movie as much as I did, and I can’t understand how they would have let their keystone product suffer at the hands of Rian Johnson. He does seem hell bent on “tearing apart the past” or whatever, and hasn’t been subtle in that message. I’ll take more Ron Howard any day.

#2032 1 year ago

I think most of us know that the real reason this movie suffered is due to fans feeling slighted by TLJ.

The problem is, I don't think that the execs are going to see it the same way. In my experience they seem to attribute A:A and B:B. Unfortunately that means they think we want more Rian Johnson type movies, and fewer Ron Howard type movies. For those that saw both, that's absolutely not the case.

2 weeks later
    #2179 1 year ago

The fallen knight - was it pulled already? Anyone have another source?

#2187 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinSinner:

Yep. I stupidly tried to download the 23gig version. I got 50% done and then got an error that I ran out of browser space. When I stopped the download and started again, I get a message saying "we're sorry. You can't access this item because it is a violation of out Terms of Service." Bloody Google.
    I haven’t been able to find another source yet. Hopefully, someone will upload to Pirate Bay or Kickass Torrents. I was really wanting to watch that fan edit.

The 3.9g version is working, fyi.

#2189 1 year ago

Watching now. Quality is solid. Early cuts are well done.

5 months later
    #2714 1 year ago

I watched all of the movies through R1 recently with my Daughter (age 4.5). She loves all of them. I was talking with a friend who did the same with their child, but skipped 1-3, and refuses to acknowledge their existence. I've never felt like a worse parent than when I realized I subjected my child to 1-3 needlessly...

It had been a while since I saw them, so I guess it was good to go back and take a new look at them. Ep1 is easily the best of the bunch. Is it bad? Yep. But, it does at least have some redeeming qualities. Darth Maul was an awesome character, and the lightsaber duel is the best in any of the prequels without contest (the later duels were ridiculous).

I tried to pay attention to the slower storyline this time through. It's true there's some decent content there in the way the emperor rises to power, but it's delivered in such a way that it feels like a subplot to the teen romance novel playing out in front of you.

Unpopular opinion, but I feel like all of the acting in the prequels is poor, including Obi Wan and Qui Gonn, and ESPECIALLY Padme. I know they've all been very successful in other movies, but all of the lines are delivered very flat. Because these are proven actors, I think the directors have to be to blame for this. I will also say that Hayden Christensen does better than what people give him credit for - he delivers what they wanted him to in a more emotional way than any other character on screen. I don't think he was good, but he looks like Marlon Brandon compared to Portman in some of those scenes. Yuck.

My daughter loved the Ewoks, and while she declares her favorite movie as "all of them", it seemed to me she liked ROTJ best.

Next up is TWA, which I quite like. I will subject her to TLJ, but only the edited version (which I haven't actually finished).

I know everyone in here is mad, but I recommend watching Solo - it was a really fun movie. I'm looking forward to watching it in the home theater. I'm going to buy it. There's a false narrative that Solo was suffering because of fatigue. We know that's not true, it's just that everyone hated TLJ. If the sales for TLJ on disk do poorly, but Solo does well, it would really force them to reevaluate that narrative.

#2723 1 year ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I've read that George Lucas really wanted to emulate 1930s films in the prequels, so he intentionally wrote and directed to get artificial, stagy performances. Interesting experiment to make with a billion dollar franchise, I guess.

Wow, that would make a lot of sense. If that's what he was going for, then I guess he's an amazing director?

#2726 1 year ago

I love the last part, like we're idiots if we think he's a shitty director.

2 months later
    #2884 9 months ago

Episode IX: Part One

6 months later
    #3501 3 months ago

Stakes are low. You KNOW they aren't going to have Rey turning to the dark side. Maybe some sort of a take where she knows she will need to destroy the enemy from within or something... but I think Rey is their biggest asset. No way they allow their best connection to young females to fail (especially by being too weak).

1 week later
    #3553 3 months ago

It's true, it would have been a real surprise. And maybe they could have pulled it off and helped make that story relevant.

Still, practically every movie that comes out seems to have some sort of a "twist". It can be great when executed properly, but it's such a burnt out mechanic for me, and often seems like a crutch for just plain old good story-telling.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 76.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.25
    Lighting - Other
    The MOD Couple
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    $ 140.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 9,500.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Latenight Weeknight Mods
    $ 20.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 12.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider deaconblooze.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside