Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,232 posts
  • 311 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 15 hours ago by acedanger
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi was...”

• garbage, the worst of the main films 243 votes
      34%
    • decent, better than the prequels 251 votes
      35%
    • really good, on par with the originals 80 votes
      11%
    • great! one of the best 80 votes
      11%
    • who cares, star wars sucks 55 votes
      8%

(709 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ss1-trapped (resized).jpg
    fantastic_four_1961_48_3 (resized).jpg
    d0c0aa785c9ed124 (resized).jpeg
    b881ebbaf721aff4 (resized).jpeg
    1 (56) (resized).JPG
    the-acolyte-databank-feature-article-feature_536e2878 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1dd86362581cee58daeaeaef82eb6037 (resized).jpg
    the-acolyte-teaser-poster_506fd466 (resized).jpeg
    1 (resized).jpg
    2 (resized).jpg
    3 (resized).jpg
    6aw3vw8uep501 (resized).jpg
    GGtWnNMWMAAWx0I (resized).png
    nickcole1 (resized).png
    d4109923eb01c73d (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2827 Analysis worth watching. Posted by gdonovan (5 years ago)

Post #3520 Path to get Disney + discounted. Thanks @fosaisu Posted by fosaisu (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Underspin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1731 6 years ago

1977-1983:

Golden age of Star Wars. Bar set way too high

1999-2018:

Episode 1: Sucked JarJar balls. Take your midi-chlorians and shove 'em up your ***
    Episode 2: Convoluted, cliché and thin. The movie is in my very soul, tormenting me
    Episode 3: Almost made up for the trilogy being a train wreck, then Darth Vader went all Frankenstein and yelled "NNNnnnoooooooooooooooo!!!!"
    Episode 7: Let's tell the story again but this time it's a girl. Shocker. Let's get Andy Serkis to do his evil voice on a CG character. Shocker.
    Rogue One: Came out of nowhere and was great. The most "star warsy" movie since 1983, though "droids with attitudes" are wearing me out
    Episode 8: Carrie Poppins and that drunk Uncle Pennybags wannabe sticking coins in BB8. No thanks.
    Solo: A Star Wars Story: The first major trailer had droids with attitudes set to the song "Sabotage." Yikes. Oh look it's another movie where a character says "I'm putting together a crew." Shocker.

Final thought: It all doesn't matter. I'm a consumer whore, have seen every movie and have thrown "I don't even want to know" money at this franchise. Can't get enough of it. Never will.

#1741 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

You should really watch it again...it's the worst/most insulting prequel.

Those movies were like getting a BJ from a woman wearing braces.

#1745 6 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

oddly still enjoyable with some regret sprinkled in?

More like high hopes followed by chafing, pain and yes...regret

1 month later
    #1797 5 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/solo_a_star_wars_story
    Currently at 72%, from what I have been reading is the movie is very uneven with a few good spots and some clunkers.
    Time will tell.

One of the key take aways from the current reviews is something to the effect of “enjoyable but clearly trying to sell something.”

Of the newer films, as far as keeping in the spirit of the originals, “Rogue One”
    has come the closest. It was a cool Star Wars flick that seemingly came out of nowhere and had a purpose, good pacing, decent characters, great adversaries, cool effects and music and almost no “Luke tosses the light saber over his shoulder then drinks alien tit juice” stupid moments.

2 weeks later
    #1984 5 years ago

Saw Solo. Predictable and enjoyable but for the love of God Disney throttle back on "droids with attitudes." Yeah yeah I get it R2 and 3PO had attitudes but not "SO GLAD WE TOOK THIS JOB" or "You've gotta do that thing to me later" attitudes. Yikes.

Oh and now I've got Woody Harrelson fatigue as prior to Solo recently rewatched The Hunger Games, War for Planet of the Apes and Zombieland. Looks like I'll have to dig out my VHS tapes of White Men Can't Jump and Kingpin pretty soon.

Finally, just throwing this out there. With Star Wars and Marvel it's pretty clear that Disney will have zero interest in ever reviving the Tron property. I think there are still some decent stories to tell in that world and would like to see another studio buy the rights. Plus we might get another pinball out of it

3 weeks later
    #2172 5 years ago

Disney consumer whore here.

If you’ve been to the parks as many times as I have you’d quickly pick up on Disney’s 2P formula. Princess for girls, Pirates for boys. Same formula for decades but has changed with the times. The “Princess” has evolved from the shrieking in the dark wood because of scary trees type to the confident, independent bow and arrow wielding hang with the boys type. “Pirates” on the other hand...well...let’s talk about that.

Disney, while strengthening female roles over time has done so to the detriment of male roles. They have been weakened. No strong males are willing to make the big sacrifice. Old Disney had strong Kevin Flynn sacrifice himself to the MCP so Tron could defeat it. New Disney had weak Sam Flynn not able to defeat anything without his daddy’s help (including another self sacrifice). Weak men. That of course has translated to Star Wars. Finn leaves the group and tries to run away at Maz’s place. Weak. Poe who seems strong put in his place by female Vice Admiral Holdo (and Leia). Weak. Finn who TRIES to self sacrifice has plot ruined by female Rose “saving” him. F****** weak!!! What did they do to strong male Han? Killed him at the hands of weak Kylo. I think Han knew it was going to happen and will call it a self sacrifice. What did they do to strong male Luke? Made him hide, avoid, cower. Old Luke would have shown up to the fight. New Disney Luke does a Jedi mind teleport and not even to fight. He did it to deceive, then die. Weak.

IMHO the only Disney property getting it right is the Marvel universe. Strong males. Strong females. Most importantly STRONG STORY TELLING. Star Wars is dead. Pitty.

#2246 5 years ago

This is more entertaining than TLJ

B30BAFBA-C835-4034-B90C-6862798F3294.gifB30BAFBA-C835-4034-B90C-6862798F3294.gif
    1 week later
    #2310 5 years ago

This past month I read the Hunger Games trilogy to my 10 and 11 year old daughters. We have since watched the four films. I can’t help but compare the stories of central character Katniss to that of Rey. When I say compare I mean there is no comparison. Katniss’ journey and story arc is complex and compelling. Rey’s (current) journey is a joke. The storytelling is a joke.

Star Wars is off the rails. Go ahead Disney, roll out the old bones of Billy Dee Williams so you can do some more pandering. Big surprise there btw. Keep being shown up by better storytellers. Keep letting fans edit your own movies better than you do. Ridiculous.

1 month later
    #2475 5 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Far as I'm concerned the next movie could be 50 years along the line with new characters and call it a reboot.

Plot pitch: A reincarnate Yoda dons a Vader suit and bemuses various Sith with syntax resembling object-subject-dangling auxiliary verb. A running gag is the cane is a light saber that can’t be used as a cane because it sinks into every surface.
    2D4838FE-DD4B-4FED-A4DB-ACF79CA00854 (resized).jpeg2D4838FE-DD4B-4FED-A4DB-ACF79CA00854 (resized).jpeg

1 month later
    #2579 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Tron 3 got put on ice after Tomorrowland tanked (a studio would consider those the same genre)
    Had nothing to do with Star Wars.

Disney won't do anything with Tron anymore. Another studio should approach them for the rights as there's still a lot of story to be told on the Grid.

3 months later
    #2854 5 years ago

More entertaining than TLJ

95C513DA-C242-4626-B550-D41AFB0097DD.gif95C513DA-C242-4626-B550-D41AFB0097DD.gif
    2 weeks later
    #2865 5 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

This.
    I think their strategy is pretty clear. Profits are down, toy sales are in the tank, and ticket sales are not meeting expectations. They blew it, they pissed off the fan base & they know it. But they won't admit it. So they hope to try & right their wrongs by creating a fan-service swan song for Episode 9, with the hopes of winning the fans back as the Skywalker saga saga wraps up. What's done is done at this point. Pretty tough to polish a turd.
    After Episode 9 released, it's time to restructure Lucasfilm & fire everyone involved with these poor decisions. Most future projects are already scrapped, especially anything that has to do with Rian Johnson. Time to reassess everything, especially if fans boycott Episode 9.
    I will say this though. It will be pretty tough for a hardcore fan to holdout of Episode 9, especially if Vader, Emperor, Luke, Han, Lando, Tattoine, The Huts are in Episode 9. Hard core fans just love this stuff.
    But Disney still has a couple aces up their sleeves. Game of Thrones writers/producers D.B. Weiss & David Benhooff are the future of the franchise. They continue to work on their "original content" trilogy in secret, taking years to develop their story. That's a good sign. Take your time & get it right. These are some of the best storytellers in the industry, and if their rumored "Old Republic" trilogy sees the light of day, the franchise has a great chance to win the fans back & make money in droves again. It's not that hard to just give the fans what they want.
    Let's not forget about John Favreau's "The Mandalorian" TV series, as well as the announced "Rogue One" prequel series. These smaller scale, low risk TV projects will build the fan excitement back before the GOT writers movies get released. The opening of "Star Wars land" inside Disney theme parks in 2019 is going to help too.
    They just need the right person in charge of Lucasfilm.

It worried me from the beginning learning that there wasn't a complete pre-written story to be told over three movies, that there would be multiple writers and directors in the process. That's where Kathleen Kennedy f****d up. Do TFA and just hand an unfinished story to the next guy and say "your turn!"??? This isn't f*****g MAD LIBS. Lucas was the pointman/anchor on TWO trilogies. Say what you want about Ep 1-3 but the story had an ARC for god's sake. Say what you want about JJ Abrams but something tells me the outline he wrote, the one Rian Johnson threw away had an arc. There should have been one pointman/anchor on these three films. Imagine Peter Jackson handing LOTR off to M Night Shyamalan or some other hack midstream. No thanks.

I don't know, maybe we blame JJ Abrams, Mr "too busy to stick around." He was killing it with the Star Trek reboot, handed if off to Justin Lin who not surprisingly gave us "Trek and the Furious" and threw that franchise into the toilet. I know it's not JJ's fault btw, it's KK's fault period. Good to see that JJ came back to "save" the trilogy. It was an enormous undertaking to put the reboot on his shoulders. I can't imagine the pressure to now try and save it. I wonder how pissed off he is at Rian Johnson...

3 weeks later
    #2942 5 years ago

In describing Rian Johnson's approach to SW the author deliberately used the term "subvert our expectations." That means one of two things:

1) The author is a hack/SJW/superfan/apologist which makes me hate this article
    2) The author is openly mocking Johnson while simultaneously trolling SJW/superfan apologists which makes me love this article.

As for gearing toward younger viewers that's probably the best path for Johnson. Corny dialogue, underdeveloped characters, elementary storylines would all play well to his approach to SW. He can easily dismiss detractors with the line "This is a childrens film for children. I'm not interested in what adults have to say about it."

#2945 5 years ago
    Quoted from Underspin:

(Johnson) can easily dismiss detractors with the line "This is a childrens film for children. I'm not interested in what adults have to say about it."

Quoted from gdonovan:

One could argue Lucas did the same thing for the prequels and not a bad path to take.

One doesnt have to argue. It's from the Lucas playbook

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2017/4/13/15288998/george-lucas-star-wars-celebration

3 weeks later
    #3082 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Can’t tell what the date on those are, but hopefully they were among the 40k reviews culled for being fake. The ratio of real to fake reviews on this one does seem pretty extraordinary.

It worked. The Cheeto gorging bovine American public yet again handed their money to the Mouse so they could waddle in and get their hit of social justice indoctrination. But cool effects, right? I didn't see the movie how did that butt double look? You can't have social justice unless the female lead has a nice round butt in a tight suit. Just ask Black Widow she'll tell you. Look at the movie poster. The male characters displaying their powers, the female character displaying her...assets.
    a1 (resized).jpga1 (resized).jpga2 (resized).jpga2 (resized).jpg

#3086 5 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I have heard of this in various comment sections but was waiting for more confirmation.
    https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/03/13/new-reports-of-empty-theaters-at-captain-marvel-add-to-movies-controversy/
    Several sites have noted people reporting empty theaters, but lots of tickets sold.
    Disney also opened almost worldwide which is unusual, unless you are trying to pump the "opening weekend numbers"

Check this out! I WANT ALL OF YOU TO DO THIS AND POST IT. I just went to my local theater online. Tonight: Friday night 8PM Captain Marvel. Should be the hottest time and the hottest night for a movie. There are SIX seats sold right now. Holy **** lol.

CM (resized).jpgCM (resized).jpg
    #3088 5 years ago
    Quoted from Eryeal:

Some notes:
    1. Your theater has regular showings, IMAX showings, DBOX showings, DBOX 3D showings (nice theater!).
    2. You theater is playing this movie 29 times today, almost every 30 minutes from 11am-11pm there is a showing.
    I think it's a bit misleading to say your theater has only sold 6 seats to the hottest time and night of the movie, when your theater has chosen to show it 28 other times today. In comparison, a family movie geared towards children that just opened up yesterday, WonderPark, only has 8 showings for the entire day.

Notes noted

In comparison this same theater showed The Force Awakens 30 times a day and it was sold out/nearly sold out for at least three weeks. Looks like Captain Marvel fell off the cliff. I'll keep an eye on when the theater cuts back the 30 showings a day to half or less than half that.

I just checked multiple showings at this theater:
    6:00-8 tickets sold
    7:00-15 tickets sold
    7:30-40 tickets sold (someone bought a block of 30 seats. will they show up?)
    8:00-6 tickets sold
    8:30-8 tickets sold
    9:00-8 tickets sold

Yeah it's a nice theater. We saw Tron in 3D Imax when it came out. Maybe my favorite movie going experience in quite a while. AMC theaters are down the road. Not as nice a theater but they have those damn nice oversized EZ chairs that recline! You have any of those?

1 month later
    #3295 4 years ago
    Quoted from Atrain:

I don't understand how marvel can seemingly have 21 movies tie in together so well, while star wars episodes 7,8, 9 weren't even written together and don't work well together. How can that happen? I "switched" from Star wars to marvel and it has been a lot of fun watching these marvel movies.

This x1000. The Marvel team made me care about a character that is an Fing TREE!!

2 weeks later
    #3352 4 years ago
    Quoted from PersonX99:

I'm still bitter than Disney shelved Tron3 in favor of Tomorrowland....

I've been saying for years that another studio should pick up the rights to Tron. With Marvel, Star Wars, Avatar, re-releases of classic animation to live action its CLEAR Disney has no interest in Tron which to me has a strong enough cult following to support more stories from The Grid.

PS: True story. I'm wearing this Tshirt right now

20190522_150432 (resized).jpg20190522_150432 (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #3375 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

The question is how will fans react? If numbers start to drop, expect the Fantastic Four & X-men to get moved to a higher priority.

I'd like to see Tron moved to a higher priority

tron.giftron.gif
    #3377 4 years ago
    Quoted from oktobernv:

Would LOVE LOVE LOVE another Tron.....
    Doubt it
    but WANT it

I've said it before and will repeat that since Disney appears to have no interest in the Tron IP that another studio approach them for the rights. There is still a lot of story to be told on The Grid.

1 month later
    #3440 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

I think this is it. The lower than expected crowd levels at Galaxy Edge have shocked the Disney community big time, no one saw this coming. Keep in mind that Disney recently raised RAC rates and ticket prices quite a bit in anticipation for this. I believe the prices are getting to the point that families are starting to value other options besides Disneyland/World. I can't help but think the Star Wars brand is tarnished more than Disney believes as well. The saturation point for both might be now visible.
    Now this is for Disneyland keep in mind, DW has yet to open (Aug 29th). I'm going mid Sept for the beer and wine fest and we were going to stay away from GE, but now we'll probably visit Hollywood Studios if the crowd level is low.

I'm at Disney World right now. According to the different tracking sites the lines were supposed to be 2-3 out of 10 with G.E. opening later this month. The sites were wrong the lines are more like 6-7. As far as the Star Wars franchise is concerned there are clearly thousands of people here that aren't that critical and eat up everything SW. The Mouse has the SW machine going full tilt.

SW aside, I'm happy to report that the Tron ride seems to be going up quickly. Nearly 10 years after the movie came out the ride is going up. Why build now? It makes me curious about Disney's future plans for Tron.

1_Tron (resized).jpg1_Tron (resized).jpg
    2 weeks later
    #3521 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

This is what I don't understand. Why do people say this? His track record is pretty lousy IMO
    Lost Produc/writer: Cult initial following, went off rails at by the end, pissed off legions of fans.
    Star Trek Director: New action-packed take, but pissed off long-time fans of the original series.
    Star Trek 2 Director: Remake of beloved Wrath of Khan, which everyone hated this movie
    Star Trek 3 Director: More of the same, lousy story, and basically ended the rebooted franchise
    Super 8 Director: 80's Speilberg clone attempt film, totally forgettable with a dumb ending
    Star Wars Ep7: Intentional A New Hope ripoff, same plot points reworked, SJW agenda pushed
    Mission Impossible: Still produces this summer action fodder, who still goes to see these?
    Cloverfield: Produced the most nausea inducing shaky camera film ever made. Sequel was even dumber.
    This gives people hope for Episode 9? I see a track record of landing big gigs based on reputation, poor writing (even when he's ripping off or rebooting someone else's idea) & multiple times of pissing off his own fans. Why keep supporting this guy? Episode 9 will probably be no different. He's not a great writer or director, but his films make money. That's all that matters these days.

Agreed 99%. JJ Abrams is hired by studios because his movies make a lot of money. That's it. It's eye candy. Its junk food. If you want compelling stories by modern directors hit up some Coen brothers, Tarantino, Paul Thomas Anderson and the like. My only disagreement with your post is that JJ didn't direct Star Trek 3. That was Justin Lin who turned the beloved franchise into "Trek and the Furious"

3 weeks later
    #3570 4 years ago

Disney's loss of friendly neighborhood Spiderman = no plan for unlikable Captain Marvel which currently has no writer, no director and no production schedule.

https://cosmicbook.news/disney-losing-confidence-captain-marvel-brie-larson-spider-man?amp

#3573 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Yea, I wouldn’t put much stock in that story; the you tuber is extrapolating a lot of hard positions off of very little data. Sounds more like wishful thinking on his end.
    Disney has given no sign they are questioning any decisions they have made up till now with the MCU. They have Brie under a long term contract and they will implement her however they envisioned. I’m sure losing Spider-Man is a disappointment for Disney, but they had to know it was possible...heck...they were the ones that dropped the axe on the deal with Sony.

Yep looks like the article was disputed. My bad. Didn't mean to spread fake news

4 weeks later
    #3648 4 years ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

Trailer's out! I'd like to be the first one to reiterate how bad this movie is going to be! Worse than the prequels.

The final installment is the bun of a giant shit sandwich, people. Disney sugar coated the shit for us but make no mistake about it...dont bite down on this one.

1 week later
    #3696 4 years ago

I can only imagine how different the current trilogy might have been under a Jon Favreau. For starters it might have had a story arc that lasted all three films

Also, thank you Jon for casting Bill freaking Burr!!
    BillBurr-720x405 (resized).pngBillBurr-720x405 (resized).png

3 weeks later
    #3832 4 years ago

Just watched episode 3 of The Mandalorian. I'd like to point out that episodes 1-3 have a complete story arc unlike the trainwreck the latest movie trilogy suffers from. Four writers in Favreau, Yost, Filoni and Famuyiwa crafted a simplistic yet engaging storyline with interesting characters and environments. My wife made a good point in that we never see the face of The Mandalorian, never see his eyes, and he doesn't even speak with much animation. Yet, we know what he's thinking and feeling in the moment and can still connect. That's good storytelling. For the love of God I had more emotional attachment to a BOUNTY DROID with 8 minutes of screentime than I have to Rey or Finn.

The newest trilogy is just sloppy. Too many cooks in the kitchen. Where it all went wrong IMO was the asinine decision to hand a partly written story off to the next guy, then pass it to someone else to write and finish. It's just astonishingly stupid and lazy.

dims (resized).jpegdims (resized).jpeg
    #3835 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Honestly, I don’t see how this could be possible. TLJ will be the worst of this trilogy and any Star Wars content ever.

The worst Star Wars content was the holiday special except for the part where Harvey Korman does a galactic Julia Child (@ 22:30). Even that part is more entertaining than Finn saying "I'm in charge. I'm in charge now."

#3839 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I could go on & on. I just love this show.

Dude I'm right with you. It's great to be able to finally have some good content and look forward to more. Before this show I would have pointed to about 1/3 of Rogue One as the best storytelling in the Disney era.

#3855 4 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

The Holiday Special is Citizen Kane compared to The Last Jedi. TLJ is not just the worst Star Wars movie; it is the worst movie of all time, period.

Oh it's worse than the worst movie of all time. It's the worst movie of all time that made $1.3B worldwide, which in turn empowered its creators to make more of the same.

1 month later
    #4534 4 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I’m afraid we have seen the end of awesome Marvel movies. Kind of sad.

The overhyped Captain Marvel and subsequent fizzle was actually kind of humorous to watch play out. The new Black Widow movie seems about 10 years too late IMO. That being said I'm interested in the release of The Eternals (Nov 2020). It "might" fall under your "awesome Marvel movies" category

#4536 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Well something has to compete with the Harley Quinn movie
    Seriously...these movies look like the fucking worst things ever.

Yeah I'm trying to wrap my head around the need for the BW movie at this point. I guess the answer like you said above is MONEY.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Underspin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spoilers-star-wars-the-last-jedi-is-really-bad-spoilers?tu=Underspin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.