Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,192 posts
  • 311 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by gdonovan
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi was...”

• garbage, the worst of the main films 243 votes
      34%
    • decent, better than the prequels 251 votes
      35%
    • really good, on par with the originals 80 votes
      11%
    • great! one of the best 80 votes
      11%
    • who cares, star wars sucks 55 votes
      8%

(709 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1 (56) (resized).JPG
    the-acolyte-databank-feature-article-feature_536e2878 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1dd86362581cee58daeaeaef82eb6037 (resized).jpg
    the-acolyte-teaser-poster_506fd466 (resized).jpeg
    1 (resized).jpg
    2 (resized).jpg
    3 (resized).jpg
    6aw3vw8uep501 (resized).jpg
    GGtWnNMWMAAWx0I (resized).png
    nickcole1 (resized).png
    d4109923eb01c73d (resized).jpeg
    Dude.gif
    IMG_3942 (resized).png
    c70f2c8a4c529e76 (resized).png
    heather-michele-orourke_214479_5_full (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2827 Analysis worth watching. Posted by gdonovan (5 years ago)

Post #3520 Path to get Disney + discounted. Thanks @fosaisu Posted by fosaisu (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pimp77.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#573 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

While you are correct that Maul is an amazing villain (my favorite in the series actually) he was not killed off in TPM. See both Clone Wars and Rebels for more on Maul, they are both cannon and he survived the fight again Ginn and Kenobi.

He got cut in half, fell a crazy distance, and lived? How?

#587 6 years ago

The movie was horseshit. A few redeemable action scenes, but all in all it was horrible. It’s all been discussed already.

#589 6 years ago
    Quoted from dzoomer:

It was merely an observation that "generally" one sees user reviews at a similar rating to the critic reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. And I find it's expected; such ratings tend to not be independent variables, so to speak.
    Aggregated critics reviews have been a reasonable guide for me. I usually agree with them, but not always. Things in life aren't black and white... so I wouldn't use the terms "perfectly fair and reasonable" as I don't believe that is a good premise. More like reasonably fair and generally accurate.

I generally find the audience reviews more accurate than critics.

#592 6 years ago
    Quoted from dzoomer:

Sure. And as I posted, I've observed that they both tend to have similar rating values on Rotten Tomatoes, especially for the big budget hollywood movies. It's just "really not" what's happened with SW8 (so far); big disparity, with critics of all things liking it much more.

Big disparity on Justice League too...opposite of SW:TLJ in that critics disliked it and the users like it.

#602 6 years ago
    Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Maul was essentially cauterized when the light saber cut him in half. As for the fall, Luke had a similar fall during Empire in Cloud City. So it's not that far fetched.

So, will Snoke survive? It’s about as far fetched.

#660 6 years ago

That was sadly just some of the MAJOR problems with this film. I’m not sure how or why people are defending it.

#787 6 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Unless Kathleen Kennedy and her writers group is removed, don't look for the situation to improve.

Holy shit. No wonder every male in the movie is either a buffoon, evil, weak, a jerk, or subservient to superior females!! Even my wife commented on it. It was obvious and pathetic. SJW!

#806 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Complaints about pacing, continuity errors, etc. are all well and good, but is this thread really devolving into a bunch of snowflakes bitching that they let some girls into space? Or that they didn’t get Michael Bay to direct it?
    If you’re doing political litmus tests for directors and producers now, it’s really going to trim down the number of films you can enjoy.

I have zero problems with strong females. In fact, I WANT strong females for my daughter’s sake. I have a problem with ZERO strong males. I have a problem with all males being evil, dumb, or just arrogant jerks. They even made Finn an oaf! What character are boys supposed to relate to? I guess the stableboy force pulling the broom? LOL! The princess (I mean, Rey) doesn’t even go through any adversity. She is just naturally awesome at EVERYTHING! She doesn’t learn from any mistakes or even train much. She is just instantly a badass. That is dumb. I’d say the same if they had a golden boy instead of girl. It’s bad writing at best.

#807 6 years ago

Corrected.

#872 6 years ago
    Quoted from 11Bravo:

I went and watched it yesterday with the kids, I didn't expect too much...it was ok I guess. I thought they did a better job with the Rogue One movie over these two. Maybe they'll have a better story with the Han Solo movie too.
    Who's going to inherit R2 and 3PO, after Leia is gone?

Well, Rey of course...she gets EVERYTHING else without deserving it.

#891 6 years ago
    Quoted from guyincognito:

SJW = S??? Jedi W???

Superb Jedi Warrior...i.e. Rey.

#910 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Yep, and that was a story point they were saving for the future, but now that it’s just broken in half and destroyed it totally doesn’t matter. Just another “screw you” that Kennedy and Johnson gave to the fans...they made that plot line meaningless...it’s almost like they wanted to render the plot points from the prior movie that people have been enjoying discussing be totally meaningless.
    I’m just baffled the critics gave VIII a good review. Has to be Disney...

It’s Star Wars. There literally could have been a dog crapping onscreen for two straight hours and if the movie title was Star Wars it would have positive critics reviews and a good quarter of the fans/users would blindly give it 5-stars too. It’s riding on its name.

#946 6 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Here's another thing:
    I love Admiral Ackbar!
    I mean who doesn't this ol' Mon Calamari??? One of the most beloved characters (and memorable alien designs) in the entire Star Wars universe. A brilliant tactician/military leader, a symbol of hope & defiance, his legend grew over his 60 years of service during the Clone Wars, the Rebel Alliance & the Resistance. Legendary Fleet Commander of the Battle of Endor, where the Alliance successfully mounted an attack that led to the destruction of Vader's Super Star Destroyer, the Empire's second Death Star, and the eventual death of Emperor Palpatine. Ackbar also led the Republic to its final victory over the Empire during the Battle of Jakku, where the final remnants of the Empire retreated into the Unknown Regions.
    Ackbar is probably the most important Rebel leader next to Princess Leia. He's a fricking legend. And these new writers decided to throw all that stuff in the trash & give Ackbar one of the weakest, undeserving bitch deaths in SW history.
    They teased us he was going to be in Episode 7! They got the original voice actor back to do his voice! How cool! And what did they do with him in TFA? Gave him like one line of dialog & told him to sit in a chair. Not only did this tactical genius (who already blew up one death star) not lead the attack on Starkiller base, he didn't even make the trip! He just sat in the command center drinking seawater for all we know. Once again, another beloved character tossed aside by Disney like a piece of trash.
    Oh he's back for Episode 8? Great! Oh wait... I guess old-ass Princess Leia is running things here & leading the escape at the beginning of TLJ. Where is Ackbar again? Oh don't blink or you'll miss him drinking seawater again on the bridge of the command ship. Oh shit! The bridge just got destroyed (I thought the shields were up) & he got sucked into space and died like a bitch off-screen? Well THAT was a huge disappointment! When the bridge blew up I was morning for Ackbar, NOT LEIA. Beloved character just tossed aside. Incomprehensible to me.
    Don't you think it would have been a better idea to NOT kill Ackbar in that scene? Let the Rebel LEGEND lead the Resistance escape from the First order. I bet a brilliant tactician like Ackbar would have come up with a better plan than "lets-wait-til-we-run-out-of gas". Poe is like "OH that's commander PINK-HAIR of the battle of NOBODY-KNOWS-OR-GIVES-A-SHIT!! OH I'm SOOOOO Impressed!!! Ugh so irritating. They could have utilized a fan-favorite legendary character like Ackbar to a much better degree. Forget pink hair altogether. There was no need to introduce another commander, only to have her die anyway.
    Can you imagine the audience reaction if it was Ackbar who heroically sacrificed himself & hyperspace-kamikazed his cruiser into the First Order instead? The theater would have erupted with cheers & went ballistic! THAT'S how a legend goes out! Not sucked into space off-screen. Or disappearing on a fricking rock while starting into the sun.
    God I hate this new triology.

Why not give Ackbar a heroic end? Because 1) Ackbar is a male and 2) they want to trash as many original characters as possible.

The female writing team is on record for stating they want to write in as many strong female characters as possible...hence pink hair leader lady. Hell, the only reason they haven’t killed off Leia yet is because she has boobs. I guess that means our lactating mutated manatee friend that gives sweet, sweet green milk is safe!

#1008 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Describe Mace Windu as to a person who has never seen star wars.

He’s the guy with the purple lightsaber that has “bad mother fucker” engraved on it.

#1049 6 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I predict the movie will crater hard in China.

For sure. China is a male dominant country. This movie goes out of its way to constantly berate males and show females putting them in their place or saving their asses. This won’t fly at all in China.

#1056 6 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

This movie will sell in China. AND will eventually pass the 2 billion mark....

If by sell you mean half the number as what Force Awakens sold, then yes it will sell.

#1070 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinSinner:

It was a good display of her power with the force. After 30 years of learning to tap into her force power, I think that pulling herself back to the ship would be the least she could do. Force users can push and pull things with the force. This is nothing new. So I don't get the hate with that scene from people. Is it the way it was filmed, or the act of pulling her way back to the ship?

Sadly, this scene and your “explanation” is more plausible than Rey instantly being a badass at anything and everything Jedi and force related (besting trained Sith Appretices TWICE and Snokes guards without any training herself) as well as naturally being an awesome pilot of the MF the first time she tries it (besting First Order pilots without any training herself).

I dislike the protagonist so much that I actually want the dark side to win to wrap up this trilogy.

#1072 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

On that note, I always found Luke's Jedi training to be a bit perfunctory as well. Obi-wan dropped a little wisdom on him on the Falcon on the commute to Alderaan, and then he spent a few days with Yoda at Jedi camp. Maybe all it really takes is a long weekend, and the Dark Side training regimen is just horribly inefficient.

Well, Obi Wan trained Luke the basics 3 years before his trip to Yoda. So Luke refines his skills using his training from Obi Wan over those 3 years. I assumed he was with Yoda for like a month but maybe I need to watch ESB again. Even still, he leaves Dagobah to fight Vader and gets his ass worked over because he wasn’t ready yet. It takes another year of training and refining his skills before facing off again in RotJ where he finally bests Vader. A far cry from Anakin and Obi Wan’s decade plus long training for sure, but compared to Rey he trained for an eternity and still isn’t half as good as she is.

#1089 6 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Also liked the character Rose.

#1099 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinSinner:

Wrong. It was established in Return of the Jedi that Leia is strong with the force. Yoda referred to her as another hope. Luke also said that she would eventually learn to use the force as he did. So therefore is it reasonable to assume that over 30 years, she leaned how to use the force to move objects (including herself in the fashion Shen did). She is therefore by definition a force user.

It’s not that she is strong in the force...it’s because she’s blown into f@&$ing space without any spacesuit and isn’t dead. She doesn’t implode or freeze to death, but instead wakes up and superwoman’s herself to safety. It’s truly a facepalm moment.

Oh: and Admiral Ackbar is unceremoniously killed and forgotten. WTF???

#1141 6 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

You're forgetting all they money they get for Star Wars related licensed products & toys, games, etc. They make that $4B investment back, and then some, no problem.

They’ll get it back in theme park attendance alone when their Star Wars lands are complete at their various parks.

#1159 6 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

1)
    Disney projected to rake in 2 billion in ticket sales and that doesn't look like it is going to happen.

All they had to do was not f$&k up Luke. They couldn’t help themselves and took a huge sh!t on Luke and the rest of the OG characters. They could have left every other crap decision and dumb plot point how it is if they just handled Luke right. Everyone (even the defenders of this hot mess) wanted to see Luke kicking some ass as a Jedi Master. We’ll never see that now. Instead we got to see him almost murder his twin sister’s son, drinking sweet space manatee milk, and sulking like a bitch.

It writes itself really. They should have had Luke showing up to save Rey, killing all of Snokes guards single-handedly, before facing off against Snoke himself in an epic lightsaber duel. They want to kill him, fine...let Snoke do that in epic fashion only to have Kylo bitch-kill Snoke as a result and his conflicted feelings. Hell, let him force push an AT-AT onto its side...SOMETHING cool!

They paid a writing team millions for what we got. Luke hologramming like a bitch from the safety of the island and dying pathetically because of over-exertion??? Weak.

#1195 6 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I'm cautiously optimistic Cameron is back at the helm, Cameron of the 80's and 90's isn't the same as the Cameron of today. Technically he has moved movie making forward visually but Avatar was a heavy handed poop show story wise.

But...”just look at all that cheddar!!!!”

One of the greatest lines ever spoke onscreen.

#1206 6 years ago
    Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

New poll what is more disappointing, Star Wars 8 or the new Stern Star Wars!

$50 for TLJ: huge disappointment.

$8000 for Stern SW: bigger punch to gut.

#1209 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

You need to shop around, you're overpaying for everything.

LOL...I rounded, but the ball parks are correct. Family of 4 to movies...easily $50. Stern SWLE: Well over $7000.

1 month later
    #1448 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I agree, but question Ben: why did the critics go bonkers over TLJ falling over themselves to give it basically innacurate reviews? What was in it for them to fawn over the movie so irresponsibly like they did?

They will get invited to the next Disney movie pre-release for critics instead of having to wait for official release!

#1469 6 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

You’re right about that Absolute Edition Hardcover. Best print edition of any comic I’ve owned, hands down. But this is the best news I’ve heard in years. As a huge fan of the Watchmen comic, I always felt it was better suited for television. Dig deeper & tell the story at the pace it deserves. The movie had its moments, but missed the mark overall, had some questionable casting choices. Wasn’t a fan of the changes they made to the ending either.
    HBO series, R-rated, written by Damon Lindelof?? Count me in. Getting real close to beginning filming I hear...
    https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/damon-lindelof-developing-watchmen-series-hbo/
    To be honest, IDK which series I’m more excited about...HBOs Watchmen or Netflix Mega City One Judge Dredd series
    http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/feature/a837878/judge-dredd-tv-mega-city-one-karl-urban-plot-netflix-release-date/

First I heard of the JD series! Holy crap! That movie was awesome, this has serious potential!!

1 week later
    #1498 6 years ago

Me and that one on the far right love the same thing!

2 weeks later
    #1606 6 years ago

I’m probably not watching 9 anyways (unless real fans give it a thumbs up in droves), but this would be a horrendous decision.

#1608 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Re-watched it last night. Found it mostly boring this time, humor had no lasting appeal. Noticed even more plot holes, fresh in my memory:
    1) Why doesn't Hux just blow up Poe immediately instead of talking on phone?
    2) How does BB-8 fix the X-wing by short-circuiting it?
    3) Why are the bombers en route when Leia didn't want them to engage?
    4) The hacker betrays them by telling bad guys "Resistance is escaping on small, cloaked shops" HOW DOES HE KNOW THIS? (Rose and Finn don't)
    5) Light speed attack teleports Phasma 300 yards away from Finn and Rose (despite her standing right over them?)
    6) How does Finn drag Rose miles back to base with 10 Walkers looking right at them?
    It's also really distracting how powerful Rey is. Remember in Empire (which was set a few years after New Hope) how Luke could still barely grab his lightsaber in the ice cave? Rey can zip lightsabers across rooms with ease, despite mere MINUTES passing since first movie! I hope they at least attempt to explain this, like "the force choose you as someone who could stop Kylo Ren".
    Also FINN SHOULD HAVE DIED. It would have been a perfect arc from start of movie when he was running away. But NO. We need to keep him around for a Poe-Rose-Rey-Finn love quadrangle.
    So sick of movies that don't function as self-contained stories.

1) Arrogance...I had no problem with that. The big question is why can’t the numerous surface guns/cannons shoot down a single x-wing? Isn’t that their main purpose? And why are the bombers so effing fragile and snail-like slow??? Why can’t the Empire/New Order shoot down these ALL these sloths?????
    2) it was a failed attempt at comedy. They should have just showed him fixing it. I had a bigger problem with BB8 shooting coins out at the guards during their escape from jail. Cringeworthy. Also, BB8 can do everything!!! He can somehow load himself into a half assembled AT-ST and operate it! LOL!
    3) They knew Leia was a dumbass and knew Poe’s plan was their best shot at letting the resistance escape. Poe and his team saved everyone and Leia and Holdo reprimanded him for his bravery and heroism. Plus, he had a wiener...can’t let him be in control. Pathetic.
    4) He is magic. LOL. The bigger question is why do they go with this “hacker” even though Maz told them there was only one guy in existence who could help them who was conveniently on a planet right next to them (and they actually FOUND that guy just before being thrown in jail!)?
    5) Complete fail. Not only does Phasma mysteriously disappear, but all of her support troops do too!!
    6) Again, complete fail. The bigger problem is they show an aerial shot of EVERYONE except Finn peeling off and flying back towards the base after Poe tells everyone to give up for some crazy un-effing-known reason. Presumably Finn is going full bore at the canon, but somehow Rose has caught up and is coming in perpendicular to him! She somehow got way ahead of him and is able to hit him at a 90 degree angle. She thinks it’s a good idea to ram him to save him? They should have both been killed in the collision. Even if they weren’t, they should have been disentigrated by the AT-ATs. On top of that, she stopped him from destroying the cannon...the ONLY thing that could have breached the blast doors on the base, effectively killing everyone anyways. They’re going to win by saving the things that they love! LOL!!! Pathetic and one of the worst scenes in the movie (all of Luke’s scenes are the worst by the way).
    7) Rey is powerful because she is female. Period. Didn’t you know? The Force is female. KK said so and she owns Star Wars. If you have tits and a vagina, you’re awesome at everything!

#1615 6 years ago
    Quoted from henrydwh:

Agreed, they should just reversed the Marry Poppins thing and had her floating out into space, and not back to the ship. Then they could have cut out that useless casino scene, and added a funeral scene for Leia and used that to inspire Luke to get out of his funk and help the resistance! They could then kill him off in episode 9! Oh and just came across this...
    https://movieweb.com/last-jedi-most-profitable-movies-2017-star-wars/
    Guess the mouse house got what they wanted! Screw the fans!

Fake news!

#1627 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Plus his theatre visit

Yep, he’s part of the problem now.

#1666 5 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

So let me ask the group, is their one plot point or storyline item you feel JJ could fix to save this franchise?

This thing is pretty torched.

Yes, have Finn wake up from his death bed and realize the entire episode 8 was a nightmare. Fixed.

1 week later
    #1748 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

First Order is the biggest problem with these new movies because it just doesn't make sense.
    How does a splinter cell group build something 10 times bigger than the Death Star? Remember when all the Nazis who fled to Brazil started their own airforce and invaded North America? Me either.
    But again, Lucas drew from history while the new writers are drawing blanks.

I thought that was weird in TFA too. What happened to the Rebels winning in episode 6 and restoring peace to the galaxy? In 30 years they are able to totally dominate the galaxy and make this super weapon?? Yeeeeeaaaaahhhh. Still, that plot point is somehow acceptable to me...the ones in TLJ are far worse.

1 month later
    #1818 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Did you guys here the latest on Lando, I'm sure that is going to go over well. It might be considered a spoiler but if you google "Star Wars Writer Confirms" you'll find the news.

LOL! Is that a joke?
    Really Disney? Pathetic.

#1867 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

That's basically the entire thread. Everyone agrees it was a travesty. The break down after that is whether,
    1. It ruined your childhood
    2. It was ruined by women
    3. Ruined by PC agendas
    4. Ruined by Disney
    5. Any combination of above
    Then you can add in whether the prequels were great, if Rogue 1 was the best SW movie ever, and how many years you'll refuse to watch Star Wars material

6. It was just a badly put together movie that changed personalities of numerous established characters, had gaping plot holes and non-sensible actions by the entire cast.

#1868 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

I'm gonna go see it next Sunday. Mostly to see how many "predictions of stupid" Red Letter Media got right.
    Falcon would have been already pretty old even in the Solo time-line. So yeah, all about toys.
    For more info on how prevasive that practice is watch An Evening with Kevin Smith or Joel Schumacher's very humble commentary for Batman & Robin.

...and you’re part of the problem going forward. Please don’t give them any more money.

#1920 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Can’t we say bad Star Wars movies are better than no Star Wars moves?

HELL NO!

#1924 5 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

They can do a lot with a Boba Fett movie. Consensus #1 fan favorite character, next to Darth Vader.

I never got his popularity...he has cool armor, that’s it! He did nothing to capture Han (Darth Vader and crew did the work and handed him off). Sure he escaped Cloud City and made the delivery to Jabba, but after that? Got punked and eaten by the sarlaac! He had maybe 5 minutes of screen time!

Effff Boba Fett!

#1935 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Lucas already tried to bone Boba with with a completely shit backstory....Disney would kick the dirt over his corpse.

Exactly my point. The movies might have been better, but let's face it, sans Jar Jar & maybe Padma the Darth/Anikin was just butchered to shit & the worst part. That's what this would be...not a trilogy with other shit to distract you. *shudder* just boba figuring out he's actually a warm hearted man/clone and not a bad guy
    Cause Disney and all.

Nah, he’s a she...cause Disney.

#1944 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Sounds like people are enjoying Solo, but the box office is definitely taking a hit. I'm sure part of this is because of TLJ, but probably moreso Star Wars fatigue and releasing it so soon after the last one.

Nope. 100% TLJ flack. Star Wars fatigue?? LOL! Is that similar to Marvel fatigue like how the Avengers Infinity War box office took a big hit? Yeah, riiiiiiiiight!

#1959 5 years ago

We went to see either Deadpool 2 or Avengers last night and they were BOTH sold out except the front rows (which I won’t do) for every showing at the four theaters we checked. Checked Solo availability for fun and there were TONS of seats available any time you wanted. Made me quite happy. We ended up going to A Quiet Place, which turned out to be a pretty good flick. No money for you, Kathleen!

#1961 5 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I saw Quiet place, avengers and deadpool as well. Will not see Solo. I'm sure all 3 are going to be god's of movies compared to solo.

Just got out of Infinity War a while ago...man, it was awesome! Disney can still do things right with the right people in charge. There WAS a noticeable “all girls” fight thrown in there because you know, Disney. But it wasn’t atrocious and super glaringly bad like the entirety of TLJ.

#1987 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

The studio only gets like 50% of the box office so they’d need $700M to break even but will have other merchandise and disc sales and streaming lisense. But it’s really a bad showing when it won’t likely pass Dr Strange worldwide.
    In China the film is called ‘Ranger Solo’ which is a really bad name, the Star Wars was dropped from the title because of how bad Sw flopped there apparently.

That’s the number I read: 700-800M to break even. They’ll get it in merchandising and disc sales for sure, but man I hope they get the message.

2 weeks later
    #2103 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

When did you last watch TOD? We went back and saw it immediately after the disgraceful Crystal Skull, and it ain’t pretty. If you’re going to steal from Dr. Jones, go Raiders or Crusade.
    Although even here, Lucas may have paved the way:
    Short Round —> Baby Vader —> Baby Fett?

TOD is not bad...Willie is atrocious and the opening dance number is bad, but overall a pretty decent movie. Nowhere near the level of TLJ.

1 week later
    #2159 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

It was interesting having several different versions of a film sort of Blade Runner for example.
    Apocalypse Now has this as well.
    I’d love to see a movie being filmed and then edited together as different interpretations.
    But with a massive blockbuster it can’t happen due to everything costing 100x more than necessary.

But those were actually REALLY REALLY good movies to start with. TLJ, not so much.

#2219 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I'll confess, you've lost me. My point was that the poll results in this thread are surprising in light of the fact that most posters here seem to have disliked the movie. As in, I'm genuinely surprised that 67% of people that bothered to vote rated it "decent" or better. And yes, online polls and critics can be manipulated. But I feel easy assuming that no one created an account on a pinball website to vote in an off-topic poll, or was strong-armed by Disney into voting as they did.

What poll are you talking about?

Edit: nevermind, I see it. It’s because it says “better than the prequels”, which were also hot garbage. I disagree personally, it’s the worst one of them all by far IMO. The poll wording is slightly misleading people into the “Decent” vote.

#2233 5 years ago
    Quoted from resipsa:

The bottom line is they are never going to be able to make any movies that live up to expectations of those of us in our 40s and 50s that were enthralled by the original movies as children. If you can let go of that baggage and just treat the new movies as simply movies, then you might enjoy them.

TLJ as simply a movie is horrendous. Bad plot, laughable dialogue, and terrible characters that you don’t care about. Good visuals and sound is all it has.

#2255 5 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Not that I want to defend any of these terrible movies, but Luke's X-Wing had hyperdrive in Empire. There's a whole sequence of him going to Dagobah.

That was a terrible cock-tease they put in TLJ. They showed his x-wing under the water and did NOTHING with it.

#2296 5 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

The only good to come out of the prequels was Darth Maul and Ewan McGregor as Kenobi and maybe the soundtracks. Some of the world building was good. Ian McDiarmid chewing the scenery as Emperor was good come to think of it.
    Portman, Hayden Christensen and the kid were annoying as hell, if the acting was any stiffer they should have just used cardboard cutouts. How can you identify with and have empathy with a character if they all suck? The basic story was flawed and uninteresting to the audience. Lucas tried to make too many connections that did not have to be made as someone else pointed out.
    Vader made C3PO? Really?
    Time for coffee.

Liam Neeson as Qui Gon was awesome as well...but he didn’t make it too far sadly.

2 months later
    #2549 5 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

meh, there isn't anything they could do to make me pay to see 9.
    well, if they deleted 8 from canon or started this trilogy over maybe haha
    still haven't seen solo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Me either...I’ll probably watch when it hits Netflix. I also didn’t rewatch TLJ on Netflix. I only opened it up to downvote it.

8 months later
    #3345 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

A lot of people liked TFA. Maybe not the best movie but it garnered $900M domestic gross.

Let’s not correlate domestic gross with “like”...but TFA was decent enough. TLJ was not.

3 months later
    #3461 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

This is not a Disney observation but just saw the movie Into the Spider Verse and thought it was one of the best super hero movies and hope that some more comic type movies will be made.

That movie was not Disney...probably why it was good

#3462 4 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

how does everyone feel about the spiderman MCU news?

It’s fantastic! I disliked the MCU Spider-Man and his teeny-bopper high school SJW friends and issues from day 1. Give me Sony’s versions any day!

1 week later
    #3526 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

FYI that deal is for the Disney+ channel only.
    They will also be offering another deal bundle that includes Disney+, Hulu & ESPN+, but that bundled discount package has not been offered yet. I'm going to wait.

That deal will NOT allow you to have Hulu commercial free. It is ONLY Hulu with commercials. I will NOT go back to seeing the crappy commercials. I’m out on that package deal. I will purchase the buy 2 get 3 years Disney+ deal though. With two young kids it’s a no-brainer.

7 months later
    #4717 3 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Altered Carbon season one was phenomenal. There is a big drop off in season two, but it’s still worth a watch.
    Give Travelers a shot. It’s three seasons and really good all the way through.

S2 of Altered Carbon was a travesty. Loved the first, hated the second. They destroyed the Kovacs character. Is that how the book goes??

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pimp77.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spoilers-star-wars-the-last-jedi-is-really-bad-spoilers?tu=Pimp77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.