Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,232 posts
  • 311 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 37 hours ago by acedanger
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi was...”

• garbage, the worst of the main films 243 votes
      34%
    • decent, better than the prequels 251 votes
      35%
    • really good, on par with the originals 80 votes
      11%
    • great! one of the best 80 votes
      11%
    • who cares, star wars sucks 55 votes
      8%

(709 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ss1-trapped (resized).jpg
    fantastic_four_1961_48_3 (resized).jpg
    d0c0aa785c9ed124 (resized).jpeg
    b881ebbaf721aff4 (resized).jpeg
    1 (56) (resized).JPG
    the-acolyte-databank-feature-article-feature_536e2878 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1dd86362581cee58daeaeaef82eb6037 (resized).jpg
    the-acolyte-teaser-poster_506fd466 (resized).jpeg
    1 (resized).jpg
    2 (resized).jpg
    3 (resized).jpg
    6aw3vw8uep501 (resized).jpg
    GGtWnNMWMAAWx0I (resized).png
    nickcole1 (resized).png
    d4109923eb01c73d (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2827 Analysis worth watching. Posted by gdonovan (5 years ago)

Post #3520 Path to get Disney + discounted. Thanks @fosaisu Posted by fosaisu (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Matesamo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#240 6 years ago

I have seen every Star Wars movie in the theater starting with the original back in 1977, I mean it was the cultural cornerstone of my youth and I was so excited to see more movies in the saga. The OP hit on a lot of my issues with the film; the introduction of things like hyperspace travel destroying a huge ship, Force powers that were never even hinted at prior, forced comedy, needless scenes... My biggest issue with the film the utter destruction of the Luke Skywalker I grew up with. I understand that we live in a new era, that many peoples heroes are being exposed for vile acts and the troubled anti-hero is the new norm but to apply this new dynamic to Luke was just too much.

They took a character who eagerly rescued the princess in ANH, who rushed to face the scariest man in the galaxy to save his friends in ESB, who GAVE HIMSELF UP in RotJ to save his father into someone who was so unlike that character as to be unrecognizable. To hear the Han had died, that the galaxy was overrun with evil, that his sister was in danger and still refusing to do anything was just depressing to me. I really want George Lucas' original trilogy to be adapted and published at some point (like they did with the comic adaptation of his first draft of Star Wars) to see what he originally was going to do. Mark Hamill has dropped hints that the first movie would have had the core trio back in action, the second film would have seen Han die in the opening scenes and new characters introduced while the third movie would have been focused on the new characters while Luke & Leia were just supporting cameos.

I know they are not making these new movies for me and my 12 year old son loved the new movie, but when I left the theater after seeing RotJ as a boy in 1983 I could not wait to see Luke back in action once again. I waited over thirty years to see a Luke who did not care about those he loved in the original trilogy and that was most certainly NOT worth the wait.

#242 6 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

What I don't get is that Rian takes this and sh&+s on what JJ did, then they are giving it back to JJ for episode 9? Weird.

More concerning is that Rian Johnson is going to be writer/director of the next trilogy.

#247 6 years ago

It really felt like the final movie of the trilogy, not the middle film. AotC had the start of the Clone War to get fans excited, ESB had the Han Solo issue and the Vader is Luke's Father question to keep interest but this one seemed to answer all the questions without really introducing any new ones. All that remains of the resistance is a couple dozen soldiers and the rest of the galaxy refused to help even with Leia's personnel plea, it will be interesting to see what they come up with for the next film.

#270 6 years ago

Off topic but... has there been a really great Star Wars musical theme since Phantom Menace? The Duel of the Fates was amazing and I can still hum it to this day but nothing really memorable since.

#524 6 years ago

“I pretty much fundamentally disagree with every choice you’ve made for this character (Luke Skywalker).” Mark Hamill told TLJ director Rian Johnson, "I said ‘Jedis don’t give up’ I mean even if he had a problem, maybe take a year to try and regroup… but if he made a mistake he would try and right that wrong, so right there, we had a fundamental difference, but, it’s not my story anymore. It’s somebody else’s story, and Rian needed me to be a certain way to make the ending effective.”

“That’s the crux of my problem,” he continued. “Luke would never say that. I’m sorry. Well, in this version, see. I’m talking about the George Lucas Star Wars. This is the next generation of Star Wars, so I almost had to think of Luke as another character. Maybe he’s ‘Jake’ Skywalker, he’s not my Luke Skywalker."

"I still haven’t accepted it completely," he concluded "but it’s only a movie.”

https://www.cbr.com/last-jedi-mark-hamill-reaction/

#713 6 years ago

This whole scenerio reminds me a lot of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. It was released to generally positive reviews from critics while audiences had issues with its dialogue, storyline, and pacing. It wound up grossing $786 Million worldwide and was the number two movie of 2008 but the fan backlash pretty much killed all momentum for the planned follow-up which is just now getting started nearly a decade later.

#722 6 years ago
    Quoted from master_of_chaos:

I have seen this movie 3 times by now.
    First, felt worried. Second, i thought it was ok, third i was sure that it was as bad es ep1. Hell, iam so disappointed about this flick...

Good on you for seeing it three times, it is the first Star Wars movie I haven’t seen more than once in the theater. Hell, it’s the first one I haven’t seen at least three times in theater (I managed AotC twice in a regular theater and once in IMAX which was much better since they had to cut some scene in it for IMAX) which makes me very sad.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Matesamo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spoilers-star-wars-the-last-jedi-is-really-bad-spoilers?tu=Matesamo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.