Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,234 posts
  • 311 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 hours ago by PanzerFreak
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi was...”

• garbage, the worst of the main films 243 votes
      34%
    • decent, better than the prequels 251 votes
      35%
    • really good, on par with the originals 80 votes
      11%
    • great! one of the best 80 votes
      11%
    • who cares, star wars sucks 55 votes
      8%

(709 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

scioli (resized).jpg
    ss1-trapped (resized).jpg
    fantastic_four_1961_48_3 (resized).jpg
    d0c0aa785c9ed124 (resized).jpeg
    b881ebbaf721aff4 (resized).jpeg
    1 (56) (resized).JPG
    the-acolyte-databank-feature-article-feature_536e2878 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1dd86362581cee58daeaeaef82eb6037 (resized).jpg
    the-acolyte-teaser-poster_506fd466 (resized).jpeg
    1 (resized).jpg
    2 (resized).jpg
    3 (resized).jpg
    6aw3vw8uep501 (resized).jpg
    GGtWnNMWMAAWx0I (resized).png
    nickcole1 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2827 Analysis worth watching. Posted by gdonovan (5 years ago)

Post #3520 Path to get Disney + discounted. Thanks @fosaisu Posted by fosaisu (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Hobbypinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3312 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

They can have old man Jones reminiscing and fade back to young actor.
    [quoted image]

Pratt should have been Han Solo. That was my vote - would have been better as Han than the guy in Jurassic

#3313 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I was discussing this the other day. Everyone cringes at the thought of another Indiana Jones....80 year old Indy adventures in the 1960's. That just sounds awful.
    Here's what I would do. Start the movie with old Harrison Ford telling reminiscing & telling stories of his old adventures to his young grandson. Then make the entire movie a flashback to the 1940's, featuring another adventure of Indiana Jones vs the Nazis. Perhaps the search for lost hidden treasures that Nazis stole during WWII, rumors of hidden map to the Lost City of Atlantis....IDK possibilities are endless.
    The key is you use that anti-aging special effect that they have pretty much perfected in movies now. Just look at that new Wil Smith movie Gemini Man. Make Harrison Ford 40 years old again. Use a body double for all the stunts. Don't recast another actor to play young Indy. Now you have a whole new classic Indy adventure with Harrison Ford that everyone will go crazy for. If anyone can pull that off, it's Speilberg.
    But if they just trot out 80 year old Indy on another swashbuckling ridiculous special effect action adventure, that's a hard pass. The Crystal Skull was just a bridge too far for most fans.

Rip the bandaid off - new character completely.

Bond movies have done it again and again. Just need a charismatic lead actor. Pratt could do it for sure and there are others too. I like the mid 40's Jones that has some aches and pains (been there done that). Josh Holloway is another, Jeremy Renner, Daniel Craig, Idris Elba, Eric Bana, Michael Fassbender, Alexander Skarsgard, Karl Urban, Norman Reedus, Justin Theroux, Jensen Ackles, Jeffrey Dean Morgan.........long list of actors that would fit and could pull it off with a good story.

What is wrong when they try to reboot some of these movies is they try and make it a "teen thing" by introducing "the next big up and coming 20 something" (IMO why Solo failed).......or they go the girl power route (latest ghostbusters) and or try and make it a political statement about gender or color equality. And no I'm not prejudice in either case. Bridesmaids was funny as hell and Black Panther rocked........because they didn't try and make an in your face politically correct statement.

Idris Elba would make a f'ing awesome Bond........because he has the swagger Bond needs to be........... Bond.

Alden Ehrenreich (Solo movie actor) has the charisma of a 13 year old adolescent boy. That's fine if you're going to do Young Indy I guess, but if you're continuing on with Jones as he "was" in the three movies - just get an actor with some chops and charisma and focus on the actual story.

#3328 4 years ago

This is pretty slick

#3330 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Yeah that guy has been teasing that video for awhile. Took him a year to make it I believe. The Obiwan vs Vader fight we've always wanted. Very well done IMO.

Do you know how long it took him to make? Too bad George didn't focus on stuff like this in his remakes vs background CGI effects.

#3334 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

Meh. Cool fight, but looks completely out of place spliced into the original film. I prefer the original.

Don't know - this comes across as an old man just holding his own against a ruthless cyborg monster. I think it actually fits better and conveys where the two characters are at. Obi understands he has to pass the torch and this fight with Vader only reinforces that - he sees his opportunity with Luke watching and takes it. The original doesn't convey that..........unless you read really deep into steely gazes between a guy in a helmet and an old man.

The original scene is out of place in all the other movies.......and all other cannon for that matter.

#3337 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

And that's part of my problem with the prequels and special editions. Instead of the prequels being made to fit in with the originals, the originals have to constantly be "reimagined" and reworked to fit in with the prequels. It's lazy filmmaking on Lucas' part.

I mean ALL the other movies (ESB ROTJ included) and even ANH itself. Vader was a bad ass. Staring at kenobi in that first battle is out of pace with every other single lightsaber duel and every other scene with Vader. The special additions - not sure it was lazy or genius greed. Not saying I liked them at all. But they made a crapload of money and there likely would be no Star Wars now without them. Good or bad, they kept the interest going.

Call the remakes Stern of the early 2000’s.

#3351 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

This is pretty well documented.
    Fans went to see TFA multiple times, since it was the first SW movie in years. General public caught up in the hype too. Shit I saw it 5 times myself on opening weekend, which I will admit was completely excessive. It wasn't until later when I realized it really wasn't a great movie & the characters were unappealing, but fans were still hyped because well...just wait for Luke in Episode 8!
    R1 was a great movie & well supported by fans. Didn't make as much TFA, as characters were unfamiliar to the general public. But it proved that a SW spin-off movie could be successful, if it was done right.
    The worm turned for TLJ. Fans obviously revolted, didn't go multiple times like TFA. Bad word of mouth prevented huge box office numbers. The fan resentment only grew worse after the release of the movie. Disney realized they may have a big problem on their hands.
    Six months later with that bitter taste still fresh, Solo releases. The story that really didn't need to be told, with a well publicized troubled production & a lousy lead actor filling an iconic role. Fans flat out rejected it & it bombed. Disney sticks head in the sand, blames "too many SW movie releases", scuttles plans for all future spin-offs.
    Fast forward to 2019. The hype train for Episode 9 is practically non-existent. Majority of fans don't care about how the story ends, some even plan to boycott Episode 9 completely. Disney just puts head down & wants to get through this. Just move on to next trilogy after a huge upcoming 3 year layoff. Focus on smaller scale SW TV shows in the meantime until they reassess & reboot the properties & studios.
    The only thing that can help Episode 9 is a big boost from The Mandalorian TV show, which releases about a month before Episode 9. It should get the fans excited about SW again, because unlike these new movies, this show to catered to the 40 year old fans & looks very promising. That might happen, until fans realize oh yeah, they killed Luke & these movies blow. Yeah sorry but no thanks.

Silly Disney......

1979......we need to cash in on that star wars thing and create our own cash cow........lets do Black Hole (1979) - hmm that didn't work

1982......that star wars thing is still going strong (Empire 1980).....we need something to compete with Luke now!.......lets do Tron (1982) - IMO superior, but not a cash cow for Disney

2010.......those star wars prequels......they made money......what can we do - Tron Legacy! (still superior IMO, but not a cash cow)

2012........hmmmm lets shoot the farm and do John Carter.....Flop!

2012......screw it - lets just buy George Lucas and star wars!

2018......Dammit we've destroyed our golden goose!

I'm not sure how they could've screwed things up so bad to be honest. It shouldn't have been rocket science. They should have skipped the original characters and story and did old republic or done something new........if only there wasn't something they could've drawn on that fans would be behind......something like 3 decades of top selling stories and books......oh wait

Black Fleet Crisis
    Dark Nest Trilogy
    The Old Republic
    Corellian Trilogy
    Jedi Academy
    Fate of the Jedi
    Darth Bane trilogy
    New Jedi Order
    Thrawn Trilogy
    xwing rogue squadron
    yuuzhan vong

and about any other 500 fantastic books/stories. Guess they couldn't afford it after buying out Lucas???

4 months later
    #3591 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

We visited Galaxy's Edge in Disneyworld this last weekend. The attention to the detail is remarkable, truly a new world created similar in detail and craftsmanship to Avatar in Animal Kingdom. Problem is, there isn't much to do besides go on one attraction (another one to debut within next few months), eat, shop, and build a droid. It's not a planet from any of the first three films, which I don't think helps, and only a few key characters from the new films. Watching Rey avoid Stormtroopers really isn't something that gets crowds going. Speaking of crowds, the crowds were low, really low. There were bigger crowds in Avatar, which has been open 2 years now and when that land opened it was a 4 hour wait for Flight of Passage.
    The buyback offer was free dining, so I don't think Disney would have that as an incentive unless the expectations were very soft.

Was in Disneyland over the weekend. Ya it's pretty but not much to so unless you are a big time fan. Also FANatics and even staff are a bit "out there". Not sure if they are being trained that way, but I asked a worker about an area that was under construction - I asked if it was going to be a new ride........I got the "what's a ride??". I chuckled a bit and started to walk away and got the "the resistance is working on something special and it will all be revealed in January" - ok whatever. They're gonna push away the casual fans if that's there approach.

1 month later
    #3723 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

Serious question. Despite the intense marrying of characters and moving a collective plot forward, do we really thing the Disney Marvel era of movies will hold up over the years?
    I don't feel they hold the emotional weight, spectacle or artistic direction of the first two Donner Superman movies or the Nolan Batman films.
    I don't feel these movies even come close to matching the popcorn spectacle of Spielberg's Indy series, which not incredibly great films, are long lasting and genre defining movies.

Doesn't that depend on what you're in the mood for? Sometimes you want a quick game of Fishtales and sometimes you want a long game of TSPP. Both hold up well.

"aritistic" is kind of loaded. It's best left for people who need to dissect a media film as part of their education vs getting some friends together for some popcorn and nostalgia. Was Goonies "artistic"? Probably not. Lots of people still like rewatching it for the nostalgia fix.

There's room for both - one type isn't better than the other IMO.

#3724 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I love these cinematic TV shows but I’d be down for some lesser production weekly sci-fi drama that don’t cost $20M per episode, get more volume of content. Maybe I need to start watching the clone wars. (?).

Clone Wars and Rebels were both good. Rebels particularly in last couple seasons. The story arcs in Rebels are amazing. Felt way more invested in the core characters they developed there then anything that was done prequels and post-quels. The way they ended it could open up a complete story line with Thrawn and Ezra as well as incorporate Ahsoka. Filoni is fantastic.

Haven't taken the time to get into Resistance - it's looked like the most "kidish" to me though.

#3760 4 years ago

mandalorian ep1 - I guess was ok. What it actually did for me more than anything else was make me think and want more Firefly. Will wait and see how Ep2 pans out.

#3764 4 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

such a drag firefly died and then they made a movie but killed everyone lol
    was such a great show

Firefly was fantastic.

What really stood out for me on Mandalorian was how "sparse" things were. Due to the budgets of the films my brain has been trained that the SW universe is bursting at the seams. It will take my brain some re-training.

And that was the beauty of Firefly. There was no background reference. It was ok for the firefly universe to be sparse and for the CG effects to be secondary. It was a true western in space.

Of course in addition the writing and chemistry between characters and the humor was fantastic as well.

1 week later
    #3787 4 years ago

There are literally 30 years of stories/books and video games outside the skywalker story line. The only thing in Disney's way moving forward is greed. They are focussed on ultra profitability of any story going forward vs just telling a story and making some respective $$. There's not much room for creativity in their wheel house.

#3809 4 years ago
    Quoted from zaki:

Haters ...last Jedi was awesome. I'm not joking either. I have it , force awakens, and phantom menace as top 3 star wars movies. I think so many people hate it because it broke the rules. Wasting snoke and having Rey's parents as drunks was great. Nobody saw that coming. Not sure what is so bad in the movie. It had action, humor, great story, etc. Much better sw movie than originals or prequel. Hate on hand solo movie.. that was a bad movie.

I didn't hate TLJ - but didn't make much sense. Last time we saw luke the future was bright. Next time he's drinking green milk as a hermit. The problem and point being - they didn't take us along on that journey/story. And flash backs aren't gonna cut it. And the reason I have very little respect for Disney was that they wanted to cash in on the original trilogy and the stardom (hammil, ford, fisher), but they destroyed their characters. They could have easily created a new series........or a series after the original cast was not part of. But no.......they wanted to include them because we had nostalgia to those characters, but then they completely trampled on the nostalgia we held for those characters.

They were either completely clueless or someone literally thought - how can we cash in on all the 40 something years olds nostalgia.........but also lets piss them off by P*ssing all over what makes the original trilogy nostalgic for them.

Let's reboot Star Trek but make Kirk a p**sy. literally what disney did. And worse they had a completely blank and wide open canvas with 3 decades of stories to pull from..........and they gave us p**sy luke, mary popins leah, and bad dad/husband han.

Also - after two movies I have no emotional attachment to the characters they are trying to build new. Any of them could blow up in the first scene of ROS and no one would care.

1 week later
    #3892 4 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

After episode 4 I’m done, they went so hard with the fan service the AT-ST is basically a living thing. It’s not a military vehicle with a pilot it’s a monster in the woods with the eyes of a wolf reflecting back in the night. It’s also dumb as a post that pointlessly kills itself. The main character basically pushes a Star Wars stroller completely invincible while every bad guy is completely incompetent and he is endlessly rescued by secondary characters. This is a Mr Bean Babies R Us Star Wars commercial. Everything they set up they resolve in 2 minutes. This weapon is super rare use it as a last resort, two minutes later he uses it. It’s been decades since I took my helmet off, thirty seconds later I’m hungry takes helmet off in plain sight of everyone. I tried so hard to like it but it’s objectively terrible.

I think you are missing a major point in that these events occur after the fall of the empire. You are correct - it's no longer a military vehicle. It's not being operated by the military. These are thugs that got a hold of an AT-ST. This would be like critiquing Mad Max because the race cars are no longer aero dynamic and aren't driven by trained professionals. They might not have represented it very well, but part of the thugs terror is to terrorize through the AT-ST as a monster. They aren't trying to attack as a military vehicle would. They are trying to leverage fear so are essentially dressing it up as a dinosaur to scare the villagers before shooting and killing them........cause then what. Who do they rob krill (sp - i don't know) if they've wiped out the village? They themselves are low level scavengers though that are not well trained or well organized. They simply were lucky enough to come across an AT-ST.

He has never taken his helmet off in front of somone....kind of like how some cultures wear turbans in public. They don't still sleep in them. How else would you think he eats other than removing his helmet???

Watching this might help understand why this episode went the route it went. I enjoyed it far more than episode 2 thats for sure.

#3914 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I thought Mando episode 4 was ok, but can see now it’s more of an episodic series not a long arc story (at least at the moment). I guess it’ll be like Kung Fu series. Whatever I’ll watch it but I’m not at all overly impressed as some people were leading to believe that it would be epic TV.

Honestly its a better strategic move for the 1st season to be episodic. People are jumping in and out to see if its worth watching. If they need to watch each episode to understand - this kills it for them. This is compounded by Disney doing a weekly release vs netflix dump all at once approach.

Im hoping season 2 starts building in some bigger arcs.

#4003 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Modern cinema is absolutely on the decline. It seems like no movie can be a big success off new IP, it has to be a sequel or spin off of some other property.
    The last big “new idea” “stand alone” movie I can remember that was truly a blockbuster was Inception. All other new IP movie seem to just be DOA unless it’s Pixar...and even Pixar is into sequels now.
    All of these things go in cycles though, just as currently Hollywood is currently making cookie cutter non-offensive things designed to be fully inclusive and take no risks, the pendulum will swing one day away from that creative model to edgier stuff. It’ll be like the the WWF (now WWE) in the 90’s. Right before the “Attitude Era” began the WWF was giving us Doink the Clown and other cookie cutter characters...edgier stuff will follow this creative lull we are in.

Guardians of the Galaxy gave me the same vibes as SW OT. While it might not have been "original" because of the comics - it was a fresh take on the super hero movie for sure.........and was also actually stand alone in that there was no stupid cliff hanger at the end.

there's lots that have tried to be "new" but IMO failed out of the gate because instead of just making a great movie, they set their sites on making a great franchise out of the gate. They set themselves up for failure because they've got a road map with sequels, merchandise, etc, and no one's even watched or like the first movie yet.

1 week later
    #4116 4 years ago

I just hope this signals the end of the "make it up as you go" trilogy/franchise. Trilogies or even a large franchise can be fantastic if you know where its going at the outset. Making it up as you go is stupid. Changing directors through a trilogy/story arc also kind of stupid if you're trying to build interest/engagement with the characters. It is after all art. "hey Van Gogh........finish up this Rembrandt for us"

#4144 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

I think the point is that Rembrandt and Van Gogh have two completely different styles of painting that would make a collaborative effort look disjointed. Not that these other hacks can be compared to Rembrandt and Van Gogh.

Yes - that was indeed the point.

Thought it would be more obvious to most........but hey, what evs.

3 weeks later
    #4480 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

just the overall flow and structure of his original scripts is light years (sorry for the bad pun), from the situational CGI scenes of today.

And also movies back then........they weren't trying to build a franchise. Lucas himself effectively showed how massive the toy market could be but it was still an after thought. Meaning Han could shoot someone in a bar because it was more important to who he was as a character. But now - can't do that cause it makes the character less marketable in the franchise machine. You can't build characters for the sake of or for whats best for the story of that movie. You have to fit in what's the most marketable to the larger franchise. This is why Marvel was successful......they had the larger comic franchise to rely on to know what worked and what doesn't. Franchise and political correctness or statements. Imagine trying to develop a character for the sake of the story or the movie, but having to make fundamental decisions of male/female/lgbtq/race/religion...........and all while trying to be the "least" offensive to the common denominator so you can make the most $$.

1 week later
    #4547 4 years ago

Mandalorian - the last episode fell flat for me. Seemed really rushed. I know its only first season, but I've been re-watching Firefly. Yes the sets and effects on Firefly are laughable at times, but the story telling, acting, and character chemistry are light years ahead of anything Mandalorian is offering. I hope it improves on Season 2 or its going to be a pretty forgettable series real quick. Can't really give Mandalorian a pass as Firefly was a single season as well. By episode 2/3 of Firefly you're fully invested in the characters and story.

#4549 4 years ago
    Quoted from oktobernv:

I disagree.
    I thought MANDO was pretty damn good overall.
    EP1 was great
    The Last 3 were great.
    "Mando goes to the fish farm" EP was uhhhhhh "ok".......
    The others were pretty good
    I give it an A- for Season 1

Seemed rushed - look this barge droid isn’t working.....wait now it is.

There’s storm troopers at the exit if the tunnel. I will make the ultimate sacrifice and blow myself up taking them all out...no they won’t shoot me when they see me walking out through the lava. Oh and despite taking out squadrons of storm troopers at the start of the episode and despite taking out a dozen baddies single handed in the first episode - my only option now is to self destruct.

We’ve got them cornered on the ropes in the cantina - let’s give them a few hours to sort things out.

Let’s send in one storm trooper with a flame thrower.

Can’t remember others but there were at least a few more really convenient plot points in this episode.

It was going in the right direction but the last ep was literally like last ep of GoT. Disconnected, convenient plot points for the sake of finishing the episode.

Why show a montage of the droid becoming a nanny to then just have home self destruct.

Let me spray this Bacta on your cracked skull - 5 minutes and you’ll be like new and we can totally disregard the tension we built around your very serious injury

I hate and don’t trust droids - five minutes later - no we need you!

It was weak all around.

#4570 4 years ago
    Quoted from oktobernv:

Anyone watch PICARD ep1?
    Wow.....
    That got off to a SLOW start.
    I fell asleep and I was JAZZED to watch it
    Not holding out a ton of hope for this one......

I liked it actually. I mean they had 20 some odd years to explain. I think they did as good a job as they could.

#4571 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

https://www.darkhorizons.com/obi-wan-kenobi-series-delayed-indefinitely/

Part of the problem is that the Kenobi story was treading similar ground as “Mandalorian,” the Jedi master lending a protective hand to a young Luke akin to the way Mando took ‘Baby Yoda’ under his custody.

Is there anything in cannon that for sure identifies Kenobi never leaves Tatooine? The worst thing they could do at this point would be to somehow throw a young Luke into the mix on this. People want Kenobi developed. Have him taken off Tatooine for whatever reason. By Kenobi's design, against his will, whatever. Make it NOTHING to do with the Skywalker saga. Hell tie it to deep space and Ezra story line .........anything but staying in the ruts of the story we know. What's the point if you do - we already know the outcome. Makes for pretty anticlimactic story telling.

#4575 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

Or just don't do a kenobi show.

It is kind of crazy that Disney payed for the SW universe and only seems to be able to focus on a 50 year period of time in that universe.

Imagine buying Pixar to only make movies about Buzz and Woody.

There are literally 40 years of novels and comic adaptions to pull from. They shot themselves in the foot de-canonizing a bunch of stuff. Don’t really know why either. Probably had something to do with $$

I’d like to see more Kenobi but at the same time realize it would be forced and contrived. If KK is at the helm she needs to take a step back and take a big breath to see the infinite possibilities they could be drawing on.

#4582 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

Star wars and trek both suffer from the same problem these days. They can't come up with new, interesting ideas, so they keep regurgitating the same crap. Ideally, I'd like to see something new set in the star trek universe, but CBS is too inept to come up with anything interesting, so we get Picard drinking earl grey and saying "make it so" and some dude with a beard playing spock.

For Trek I think Discovery tried to do this. I think the Spore drive is an attempt that let's them dabble in the "familiarity" of the established Trek universe while having the freedom to create something new. It's just been poorly executed in some's view........but TBH those people might just be looking for another Kirk vs something fresh. Regardless - Trek has taken much more risk at creating something new over SW though. The audience is actually part of the problem though. Call it Kirk syndrome or Jedi syndrome.

#4588 4 years ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

One of the first rules for making money should be your customers are almost never the problem.
    They sell entertainment. If the people buying that product don't find it entertaining or they are not enticed to even try it the customer is not at fault.

Yes and no.......simply because while people might not like something - they don't all dislike or like it for the same reason. Particularly Art, Music, Movies, Entertainment. That was the point - some people aren't going to like Trek because its not Kirk (remember the hate the next generation got early on), while others are going to hate it because its the same old Trek. Some will hate SW without a Jedi centric story, while others are bored and don't want any Jedi. What I will say though is as someone noted above - when to try to satisfy everyone you don't please anyone.

1 month later
    #4660 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

That is a diverse group of people. Just need a kid in a wheelchair.
    On a side note, I've been watching Picard. Man, star wars ain't the only franchise getting it hard in the impulse engines..
    You see what I did there??

Picard is simply following the pacing set by shows like GoT. Not saying I agree with it, but it will never be the old trek again.

#4661 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Right there in the writers room.
    They are not interested in making a great movie, they wish to cram as many BS virtue signaling points as they can into a single frame. Nothing about character arcs, plots etc.
    Stick a fork in it, you have people writing Harry Potter fan fiction in charge of Star Wars.
    [quoted image]

The problem with Star Wars - Stop building on a theme and start telling an engaging story. They've put the theme at the forefront. That Star Wars "heart" column needs to be in the background and not the foreground - and some of it should be left out movie to movie. When they start from a point of "our story HAS TO include these themes" it becomes forced, it becomes formulaic, and people will compare it to the others before it. The theme needs to be consistent yes.......in the background, but the story needs to be its own unique thing. And when the theme is at the forefront and is consistent then the stories also become consistent, boring, and will be picked apart for their inconsistencies against the earlier movies. If you look at the Rogue Squadron or Thrawn series, those things are there, but are in the background. Many of the popular books focus around TOS main characters - so yes popular. But the others as well take a character and put them at the front of the story vs fitting them into a formulaic theme.

1 month later
    #4705 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Altered Carbon season one was phenomenal. There is a big drop off in season two, but it’s still worth a watch.
    Give Travelers a shot. It’s three seasons and really good all the way through.

IMO you can put that at Anthony Mackie's feet. They guy has as much energy as a dead fish.......in anything I've seen him in (including as the Falcon). He's just boring.

Here's hoping he doesn't kill Falcon and Winter Soldier series, but he's a lame duck IMO

1 week later
    #4745 4 years ago

I enjoyed Picard for what it was.

But the real star that’s absolutely kicking it right now is Westworld!

I you want to watch a complete dud then sit through the 8 episodes or DEVS. This should have been an hour black mirror installment. Same blond chick that’s in Picard too.

2 weeks later
    #4763 3 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Hmm, ok, I can see her as the grown up version....I always thought they'd bring the padawan version out first though. Someone like 11 from Stranger things would have been good.

You need to look at the timeline and see how they animated her in Rebels. She's older in the Mando timeline. As far as an earlier version - would either have to be pre clone wars launch.......or yet more stories from the clone wars. Personally while I've enjoyed the clone wars arc - enough. Mainly because we already know all the outcomes.

Build a new story arc where we don't know what's going happen. Even the Mando is going to suffer from this somewhat. Go old republic or go forward past Skywalker saga. So much untapped potential and would be so much less baggage and expectations to manage.

It needs a fresh look.

1 month later
    #4784 3 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I’ll tell you this. The last 4 series finale episodes of The Clone Wars was better than Episodes 7-9 combined. Wow what an ending! Ashoka...now that’s how you write a great female Star Wars character arc.
    Rosario Dawson has some serious expectations to live up to if she’s really playing Ashoka in Mando Season 2.

The same could be said for Rebels. I'd have much rather seen a trilogy of Ezra in the Unknown Regions vs what we got with Rey/Skywalker. Can you imagine that - there was limitless potential with very little "baggage" there! Would have required more effort, but likely less $$ from Disney.......but they would have also had to have been brave as there's some more risk to draw in viewers. But ultimately this is why SW's is "sucking". It's all a rehash and too much room for people to poke holes in the continuity. Leave the current characters and time frame alone...........so many other opportunities to explore.

#4785 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

I think it could've stayed alive that long. The key to star wars is less is more. Releasing a new trilogy every 10-15 years is just enough to get people excited. It becomes a special event. You remember being there opening night.
    When you go pumping out movies once a year(mediocre movies at that), new TV shows every couple of months, cartoons, etc etc, it loses something. It becomes just another franchise. Alienating your fan base with hit- you- over- the- head social justice/PC commentary doesn't help things.
    IMO, the best thing they can do is lay the movies to rest for a while. Focus on a couple well thought out tv shows like the Mandalorian. Stay away from rehashing old characters and storylines. No Obi-Wan series. No Boba Fett movie. No explaining how the Bothans died. In 7-8 years, maybe look at a new trilogy. And this time, outline a complete story with competent writers before filming a thing.

They have well thought out TV shows - they're just animated. Seriously watch Rebels. Ezra with Thrawn should get their own trilogy in the Unknown Regions.....its all there in place. Star Wars just needs to do it.

1 month later
    #4829 3 years ago
    Quoted from tl54hill:

The safest and best way to reclaim "real star wars" is to bring back the one and only creator and godfather of the franchise, George Lucas.

Don't need Lucas. Filoni has surpassed Lucas' vision while staying true to core fans.

3 weeks later
    #4875 3 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Tough crowd
    Why would some one want to watch a TV show about the birth of the Rebellion, and how that ties into the Rebels cartoon & its characters, expands on the backstory of Andor & K2S0, during the period when the Empire was just beginning to tighten its grip on the galaxy, while Darth Vader was running around in his prime kicking serious ass? Also a spy show that’s not focused on the usual force & lightsaber tropes? What’s not to like here?
    I’ve always said the period between Ep3 & Ep4 is fertile ground for exploration. The Obiwan show takes place during this period as well. Still lots of stories to be told.

Depends if you're a history buff or an explorer. Anything prequel related - you know the outcome. So you are a diehard star wars fan who appreciates filling in the full historic details in great clarity.

But a bunch of other people like the exploration of a new story, new characters where they don't know the outcome. Who lives who dies who's father is who's father.

Exploring the history in great detail often drives divisiveness though. People have filled in the gaps with their own beliefs and backstories and are now being told "this is the way it happened". Some will be happy and some won't.

Personally I'd much rather see Ezra, Ahsoka and Thrawn in the Unkown Regions than a history lesson - but to each their own.

And at some point the well dries up. Vader and Skywalker are great characters but can only be developed so far. Comics got around this with multiverse and time travel concepts. Star Wars has already dabbled in time travel in Rebels.......had to resort to clones in the last movie. The Star Wars universe is infinite with so many story opportunities. IMHO - time to put the trilogy era and characters to rest for a while.

#4877 3 years ago
    Quoted from BobSacamano:

Are you guys still complaining about Star Trek movies in here or what?!

_nnrfvXSiw7yevGoWgGU7Jj4tS5jcpXNhFtxMqKd1jk (resized).jpg_nnrfvXSiw7yevGoWgGU7Jj4tS5jcpXNhFtxMqKd1jk (resized).jpgrV6OC (resized).pngrV6OC (resized).png
    #4881 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

The problem now is, because they tried something different with TLJ and it failed so miserably, we can expect the same old star wars regurgitated for years to come. Ever wondered how C3P0 got that silver leg? What did Lobot do before he became Lando's man servant? Great news. Every meaningless back story will get its own tv show. Star wars supply of creativity is completely exhausted.

Johnson tried something different or went in a different direction by literally sh*ting on everything core fans hold dear. Luke was built up in the movies and in every canon and non canon installment to be a somewhat flawed but noble and strong character. Johnson turned him into a whiny bitch. You can't take a "different" direction by crapping on your core audience.

5 months later
    #5136 3 years ago

Forget girl power - Star Trek Discovery is on to non binary gender power now! Hollywood is so desperate to be Woke they've lost track of who any of their fans are. They no longer understand who they're entertaining.

Both boys and girls liked Luke......yes a higher proportion of boys did....but so what.

Hunger games appealed more to young girls.......great!

Why have a movie/tv show that tries to swim upstream of what it's fanbase is?.......cause then you have no fan base.

2 weeks later
    #5148 3 years ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

I don't think that's the problem. Story is at the heart of the problem. When your story sucks it doesn't matter who your characters are.

But that is the problem. They introduce a non binary character just to make a statement. There was no actual story around the character at all. That was the point of the post.

#5153 3 years ago

Cancel culture at its best. Too bad. I really liked her and she was doing a lot more for strong female characters than the billions sunk into sequels through Daisy Ridley.

It’s all about profits. You can say whatever the fuck you want as long as it doesn’t hurt the corporation’s profits.

#5158 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Why does Kathleen Kennedy still have a job then?

Does she? Maybe in title only. Seems like she doesn't have nearly the pull she did. Plus she was just making shit business decisions. She wasn't out posting shit in social media.

1 month later
    #5188 3 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:Yeah, I read not much is changed with the extra footage....that movie was a mess.

It's not extra footage - its essentially a completely different movie. 30 minutes of the new 4 hour run time are consistent from what was "originally" started. It wasn't just a swap out of Snyder for Wedon. The movie was drastically changed/re-written by Wedon to make it PG and take a different tone. I'm at least hopeful. It's still going to have flaws......but should certainly be much better than what was released to theaters.

#5191 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

The problem imo, isn't just Snyder's take on the franchise, story and script. His overall style of filmmaking is terrible. Everything is a dark, depressing, miserable looking mess, run through a blue filter. He's the most visually uninspiring filmmaker I can think of.
    For the life of me, I just can't figure out why they keep handing him the keys to the DC franchise...

Because DC is dark. I'm ok with that. I don't want everything to be like marvel. That would get boring quick.

#5192 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hobbypinball:

Because DC is dark. I'm ok with that. I don't want everything to be like marvel. That would get boring quick.
    Tim Burton's batman worked............ Joel Schumachers did not. One dark - the other colorful.

#5200 3 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

It was good, until the wheels fell off after Russell Crowe disappeared. Then that ridiculous 30 minute fight that resulted in the utter destruction of Metropolis. They lost me there. Millions would have died. Superman would have done anything to prevent those deaths. Grab Zod & drag him to the desert, Antarctica... the moon....anything to prevent innocents from dying. Then there was the whole breaking Zod's neck thing.
    Again I'd love to see them shutdown for about 5 years & then reboot. Or make just cartoons with high end CGI animation and a huge budget & adapt classic stories like Kingdom Come, Crisis on Infinite Earths, or The Dark Night Returns for theatrical release.
    They are making a New Gods movie, which is my all-time-favorite Jack Kirby work, and I just know even with Tom King writing it's going to be a mess.

But if Sup's did that there'd be no premise for BvsS. I was re-watching Ultron yesterday - same could be said about Hulks rampage midway through the movie. yes that played into justification for civil war......but same deal as Batman V Superman.

#5208 3 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Nothing wrong with that. Batman V Superman shouldn't exist.

And everyone gets their opinion both ways. Was one of the best live action batman movies IMO. Not because of the Vs Supe crap. That fight scene of Batman in the warehouse was the closest anyone has come to capturing the comic and animated series fight scenes. Best of any

#5209 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Most of the movie is a blatant rip off of Frank Miller's saga The Dark Knight.

ummmm haven't all the recent super hero movies been a rip off of something already written or animated?

#5213 3 years ago

I watched it. A little long and yes some of the visuals were drawn out for the sake of visuals. But overall was pretty good I thought.

Epilogue - Either the scene with deathstroke and Luthor OR the one at the very end was needed. Not both. That’s my only real nitpick. Oh - also still don’t like how they portrayed Flash in any of the versions.

For sure this movie made the most sense and overall the characters were the most enjoyable.

Will be interesting to see if they continue on with Snyder and what he set up. Probably not - they’ll keep trying to mirror 100% marvel/Disney.....which is stupid.

You could also just go watch justice league dark: apocalypse war - which would be a sequel to this movie as far as how the story continues.

Overall - I feel like Afleck god so screwed on this by DC. I liked him as the Bat. Suited the character more than any of the previous live action actors IMO.

#5214 3 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Started Justice League & I’m already fed up.
    What’s with the 4:3 aspect ratio??? Is Snyder fucking serious?!?!?! Let’s take my beautiful widescreen TV & pretend it’s my outdated 90s Sony Trinitron. That’ll be kewl! I’m Zack Snyder! I’m a visual GENIUS!!!!
    Good lord.... what a pretentious ass. I can’t wait to hear his explanation for this.

He’s already explained it and was made very clear in any announcements running into this. Not saying I liked it either but didn’t ruin it for me. After 5 minutes in a properly lit room - I didn’t even notice it.

Umm I don’t think you’re going to enjoy anything that has Snyder’s name on it regardless.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Hobbypinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spoilers-star-wars-the-last-jedi-is-really-bad-spoilers?tu=Hobbypinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.