Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,234 posts
  • 311 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 hours ago by PanzerFreak
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi was...”

• garbage, the worst of the main films 243 votes
      34%
    • decent, better than the prequels 251 votes
      35%
    • really good, on par with the originals 80 votes
      11%
    • great! one of the best 80 votes
      11%
    • who cares, star wars sucks 55 votes
      8%

(709 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

scioli (resized).jpg
    ss1-trapped (resized).jpg
    fantastic_four_1961_48_3 (resized).jpg
    d0c0aa785c9ed124 (resized).jpeg
    b881ebbaf721aff4 (resized).jpeg
    1 (56) (resized).JPG
    the-acolyte-databank-feature-article-feature_536e2878 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1dd86362581cee58daeaeaef82eb6037 (resized).jpg
    the-acolyte-teaser-poster_506fd466 (resized).jpeg
    1 (resized).jpg
    2 (resized).jpg
    3 (resized).jpg
    6aw3vw8uep501 (resized).jpg
    GGtWnNMWMAAWx0I (resized).png
    nickcole1 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,234 posts in this topic. You are on page 95 of 125.
    #4701 4 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

Stuck at home for a few weeks , maybe I’ll watch TROS .

If you like space horses you're going to love it.

Edit: not the cool kind of space horses though....if there are any.

#4702 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

If you like space horses you're going to love it.

If Space Horse Lore was built up more, like stables, trimming manes with lightsabers, Space Horse taming in the wilds of Naboo, shit like that could have only given this turd more structure!

#4703 4 years ago

#4704 4 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

I just watched the first season of Altered Carbon....pleasantly surprised. definitely underrated and under-advertised this is a great show....it's like a mix of Avatar and Bladerunner. Highly recommend.

Altered Carbon season one was phenomenal. There is a big drop off in season two, but it’s still worth a watch.

Give Travelers a shot. It’s three seasons and really good all the way through.

#4705 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Altered Carbon season one was phenomenal. There is a big drop off in season two, but it’s still worth a watch.

IMO you can put that at Anthony Mackie's feet. They guy has as much energy as a dead fish.......in anything I've seen him in (including as the Falcon). He's just boring.

Here's hoping he doesn't kill Falcon and Winter Soldier series, but he's a lame duck IMO

#4706 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Looks like someone hasn't played Cosmic Gunfight... the very definition of cool space horses

cosmicgunfight (resized).jpgcosmicgunfight (resized).jpg

#4707 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hobbypinball:

IMO you can put that at Anthony Mackie's feet. They guy has as much energy as a dead fish.......in anything I've seen him in (including as the Falcon). He's just boring.

Yea; he was a step down for sure. I think the plot of season two was also a bit on the weak side though. The murder mystery of season one was very enthralling.

#4708 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Yea; he was a step down for sure. I think the plot of season two was also a bit on the weak side though. The murder mystery of season one was very enthralling.

Agreed, Joe Kinnaman was definitely channeling the Deckard character in season 1, also the arc was so much better, child to soldier to rebel to detective. Second season was WTF!

I just heard about this Denis Villeneuve is remaking Dune and the rumors are it's going to be epic.....fantastic cast and production design. I'm guessing he's going to try and erase the failure of Blade Runner 2049

#4709 4 years ago

Blade Runner 2049 may have not been a commercial success but I think it is an excellent movie and a very well done sequel.

QSS

#4710 4 years ago
    Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

Blade Runner 2049 may have not been a commercial success but I think is an excellent movie and a very well done sequel.
    QSS

Blade Runner had a high bar for a sequel to clear, 2049 did ok. Not perfect, but ok.

#4711 4 years ago

2049 was almost completely perfect. Little hickup with a pointless side story of a revolution.
    Even Harrison didn't look like he hated to be there, and amazing feet.

#4712 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

2049 was almost completely perfect. Little hickup with a pointless side story of a revolution.

Well....I've been a BR fan since I first saw the movie but the sequel failed to capture the magic of the first one. Btw, there were more than one pointless storylines in my opinion, the whole AI girlfriend character was not fleshed out and kind of pointless to the main character. why have AI GF when you can have one in the real? Also, the so called miracle birth main plot point was never explained...how did it happen or why doesn't happen in the first place? The Jared Leto character WTF was that? a Futuristic blind Samurai tech mogul...? Why is he evil? Tyrell's motivation was easy...he was a businessman trying to make money. The story would have been better if it was simplified just like the original, the original had a simple but grand story about mortality, love and machines experiencing consciousness...etc. It seemed to me that parts of the story was written just so Ford could reprise his role. The story would have been awesome if the plot twist with Joe never happened and he was who he thought he was.

#4713 4 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Well....I've been a BR fan since I first saw the movie but the sequel failed to capture the magic of the first one. Btw, there were more than one pointless storylines in my opinion, the whole AI girlfriend character was not fleshed out and kind of pointless to the main character. why have AI GF when you can have one in the real. Also, the so called miracle birth main plot point was never explained...how did it happen or why doesn't happen in the first place. The Jared Leto character WTF was that? a Futuristic blind Samurai tech mogul...? Why is he evil? Tyrell's motivation was easy...he was a businessman trying to make money. The story would have been better if it was simplified just like the original, the original had a simple but grand story about mortality, love and machines experiencing consciousness...etc. It seemed to me that parts of the story was written just so Ford could reprise his role. The story would have been awesome if the plot twist with Joe never happened and he was who he thought he was.

Also Rutger Hauer, he was irreplaceable.

Like I said, it was ok. The visuals were close but the story could have used some further polish.

#4714 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Blade Runner had a high bar for a sequel to clear, 2049 did ok. Not perfect, but ok.

Agreed, it was ok, but doesn't have the "watch me again" that the original has.

#4715 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Perfect in environment and style, but empty with life, compelling characters, and any attachments to the prior work that felt natural and made sense.

That said, Dennis V. did as best as anyone could really.

The opening scene had some intensity and wonder, but I remember things drifting into the shadows of the prior film all too quickly. If they built on that first scene, in an entirely opposite direction that they did, and developed their own characters rather than dig up older one's that really didn't have much to work with, I feel a better direction would have been found. Marrying it to the past, in an empty way, oddly killed it for me....

#4716 4 years ago

#4717 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

S2 of Altered Carbon was a travesty. Loved the first, hated the second. They destroyed the Kovacs character. Is that how the book goes??

#4718 4 years ago

FREE on TUBI & YouTube

Director: Richard E. Cunha (as Richard Cunha)
    Writers: H.E. Barrie (screenplay), Vincent Fotre (screenplay)
    Stars: Richard Travis, Cathy Downs, K.T. Stevens

Escaped convicts Gary and Lon are caught hiding in a rocket by scientist Dirk Green, who forces them to pilot the ship to the moon. Dirk, who's secretly a moon being, wants to return to his home satellite. Dirk's partner Steve Dayton and his fiancé June stowaway on the ship by accident. Will they all make it back safely?
    With such an award winning script; I was emotionally invested.

This movie is a hoot! The special effects include a cardboard rocket, a cave-spider puppet, and slow-moving rock people. 8/10

#4719 4 years ago

I just watched Picard....omg, I had read it was weak but boy was it ever. Terrible story, they even brought all the old characters, and of course they ruined everyone of their legends,. including Jean Luc himself. To me these writers are tv drama writers like the ones for "All of us" and then somehow they end up writing Picard and Discovery...they're way out of their element. Star Trek, Star Wars are not family Drama shows...I hope these knuckleheads get that some time in this decade

#4720 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

Is that how the book goes??

The source material is a murder mystery type during the first book, then in the sequels, the theme turns to Kovac's history & destroying society. The first season is as good as it gets.

#4721 4 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

I just watched Picard....omg, I had read it was weak but boy was it ever. Terrible story, they even brought all the old characters, and of course they ruined everyone of their legend,.including Jean Luc himself. To me these writers are tv drama writers like the ones for "All of us" and then somehow they end up writing Picard and Discovery...they're way out of their element. Star Trek, Star Wars are not family Drama shows...I hope these knuckleheads get that some time in this decade

This is a shame to hear. I was debating watching Picard but I've heard from several people that it was just terrible. It's the trend now. It makes me sick to think what ridiculous script they are going to do with Indiana Jones 5.

#4722 4 years ago

Speaking of ruining the classics.... woof. Looking forward to the Bugs cell phone jokes.

Why not just stream the entire Looney Tunes Vault Library instead? You can’t come anywhere close to matching Chuck Jones, Tex Avery, Mel Blanc, etc ....so why even bother?

#4723 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

It makes me sick to think what ridiculous script they are going to do with Indiana Jones 5.

Could it possibly be worse than IJ4? I probably shouldn’t ask, but they’ve at least got the benefit of a low bar.

#4724 4 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Could it possibly be worse than IJ4?

It would be hard with no Shia laboof.

Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

You can’t come anywhere close to matching Chuck Jones, Tex Avery, Mel Blanc, etc ....so why even bother?

Hmmm, gonna respectfully disagree here.
    I understand your point, and agree the new ones can't touch the OGs, but I'm all in to have a new cartoon with old style animation.
    The voices being off is going to agitate me for awhile fo sho, but the style of animation out there annoys me even more.

#4725 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

This is a shame to hear. I was debating watching Picard but I've heard from several people that it was just terrible. It's the trend now. It makes me sick to think what ridiculous script they are going to do with Indiana Jones 5.

With that said it's not as bad as Discovery...SJW in this show eclipsed TLJ....the captain is an Asian woman, the main protagonist is an African-American woman, raised by Vulcans....which Vulcans you ask? Well, you guessed it of all the Vulcan families they chose Spock's family. Hold on it gets better. The Klingon warrior on par with Kahless is a Klingon woman of low birth that becomes...you gueseed it The Klingon emperor. . Had enough yet? How about a Gay engineer and his African American husband!? Wow, my head is hurting already but wait there is more...how about a mirror universe with a woman as the emperor of the galaxy, and as if that wasn't enough how about a bubbly fat redhead that always looks on bright side of spatial intrigue.....that along with a spore drive (Quantum Mechanics re written by a bay area hipster) thats basically a transporter for a whole ship etc...etc..GTFOH! Jackasses!

#4726 4 years ago

new disney + star wars series in the works
    glad they are at least going to a different time line.

https://www.ign.com/articles/new-star-wars-series-disney-plus-leslye-headland

"it will be a female-centric series that takes place in a different part of the Star Wars timeline than other projects." Headland is reportedly attached as showrunner and writer on the new series."

#4727 4 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

new disney + star wars series in the works
    glad they are at least going to a different time line.
    https://www.ign.com/articles/new-star-wars-series-disney-plus-leslye-headland
    "it will be a female-centric series that takes place in a different part of the Star Wars timeline than other projects." Headland is reportedly attached as showrunner and writer on the new series."

Just saw that. Didn't see the female centric quote.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/star-wars-series-leslye-headland-disney-plus-1234587493/

#4728 4 years ago

I really, really liked...LOVED Star Wars...when there was so much less of it.

#4729 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

It wasn't terrible, it just isn't like TNG. The whole serial thing never worked well for ST. Unfortunately, stand alone/anthology shows aren't really in (except Black Mirror).

#4730 4 years ago

The Platform..... this was quite an experience. One of those movies that really sticks with you. In some respects, it reminded me of The Human Centipede...not necessarily because the content was similar, it was more about my reaction to the content being similar. Check it out if you haven't already.

#4731 4 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

With that said it's not as bad as Discovery...SJW in this show eclipsed TLJ....the captain is an Asian woman, the main protagonist is an African-American woman, raised by Vulcans....which Vulcans you ask? Well, you guessed it of all the Vulcan families they chose Spock's family. Hold on it gets better. The Klingon warrior on par with Kahless is a Klingon woman of low birth that becomes...you gueseed it The Klingon emperor. . Had enough yet? How about a Gay engineer and his African American husband!? Wow, my head is hurting already but wait there is more...how about a mirror universe with a woman as the emperor of the galaxy, and as if that wasn't enough how about a bubbly fat redhead that always looks on bright side of spatial intrigue.....that along with a spore drive (Quantum Mechanics re written by a bay area hipster) thats basically a transporter for a whole ship etc...etc..GTFOH! Jackasses!

Sounds like cutting edge material right there.

#4732 4 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

This sounds like any modern show at this point.

No wonder I'm binge watching all 7 Police Academy movies.....

#4733 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

No wonder I'm binge watching all 7 Police Academy movies.....

A classic cry for help.

#4734 4 years ago

My biggest problem with Picard is that it wasn't about Picard. The character Stewart was playing was about as far from Picard as you could've gotten.

TNG was well thought out Sci fi. This show was mindless schlock.

#4735 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

My biggest problem with Picard is that it wasn't about Picard. The character Stewart was playing was about as far from Picard as you could've gotten.

Good point, that's why I said they destroy their legend. Also the cool thing about ST was that it was almost always based on sound science principles....the whole
    Synth ban, prophecy and Zhat Vash crap was such a gimmick and cheaply cobbled together storyline ....again I think it was written by the crew of Modern Family or All of Us rather than a bonafide sci-fi writers. This crap started with the new Battle Star Galactica and then quickly infected everything from ST to SW.

#4736 4 years ago

This crap started with the new Battle Star Galactica and then quickly infected everything from ST to SW.

First season was fairly awesome once you got past the ridiculous Starbuck character and then went downhill at lightspeed.

#4737 4 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Good point, that's why I said they destroy their legend. Also the cool thing about ST was that it was almost always based on sound science principles....the whole
    Synth ban, prophecy and Zhat Vash crap was such a gimmick and cheaply cobbled together storyline ....again I think it was written by the crew of Modern Family or All of Us rather than a bonafide sci-fi writers. This crap started with the new Battle Star Galactica and then quickly infected everything from ST to SW.

Alex Kurtzman. Pretty much explains all the problems with this show

#4738 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

That is just how it is today. A show like TNG could never work today. I think TNG is one of the best Sci-Fi Tv shows of all time(less TZ & OL from the 60's).

It will never be replicated. Even Deep Space 9 started to go into this direction, thankfully Voyager remained somewhat in the old mold.

#4739 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

That is just how it is today. A show like TNG could never work today. I think TNG is one of the best Sci-Fi Tv shows of all time(less TZ & OL from the 60's).
    It will never be replicated. Even Deep Space 9 started to go into this direction, thankfully Voyager remained somewhat in the old mold.

I also think TNG was the high water mark for Sci Fi TV, both DS9 and Voyager were also good, even though they had bigger budgets than TNG.

#4740 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

The TNG movies also took it on that downward spiral.

#4741 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

The TNG movies also took it on that downward spiral.

That they did. The only TNG move that I ever halfway liked was Generations. The rest didn't have any quality of the series. I do believe that the TNG series retained it's quality all the way to the end.

Wow - just look at WiKI and never realized that Voyager and DS9 had just as many seasons as TNG.

#4742 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

That they did. The only TNG move that I ever halfway liked was Generations. The rest didn't have any quality of the series.

Funny everyone involved hating making Generations and considers First Contact the first real TNG movie.
    I personally like both a lot.

Series only got better until they dropped the finest series finale ever.
    Well...hmm...yeah i guess it was better than Brisco.

#4743 4 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

This crap started with the new Battle Star Galactica and then quickly infected everything from ST to SW.

The new Battlestar Galactica was great (well, mostly great, the second season lagged at times and there was too much mystical religious mumbo-jumbo in the last season for my taste, but I enjoyed the ending). I'm not positive this is where you were going with your comment, but I don't really get all the butt hurt about Starbuck being a woman in the new version. It's a remake, they're going to change all kinds of things, add whole new characters, etc. Dirk Benedict was too old to play the part so it was going to be different regardless. They used the new Starbucks character, including the fact that she was a woman, to mostly good effect throughout the series. And anyone worried that the series would lack a strong male lead needn't have been, Commander Adama remained an epic (masculine) bad ass.

#4744 4 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

The new Battlestar Galactica was great (well, mostly great, the second season lagged at times and there was too much mystical religious mumbo-jumbo in the last season for my taste, but I enjoyed the ending). I'm not positive this is where you were going with your comment, but I don't really get all the butt hurt about Starbuck being a woman in the new version. It's a remake, they're going to change all kinds of things, add whole new characters, etc. Dirk Benedict was too old to play the part so it was going to be different regardless. They used the new Starbucks character, including the fact that she was a woman, to mostly good effect throughout the series. And anyone worried that the series would lack a strong male lead needn't have been, Commander Adama remained an epic (masculine) bad ass.

Whaa? Ok, man, if you haven't already guessed it, I'm happy to report you and I have very divergent tastes in film and tv. As far as the butt hurt comment....I'm gonna give you a pass, cause I don't even think you understand my commentary about the dense, talent-less and oft regurgitated stories they're passing to us under the great banners of ST and SW nowadays. I'm happy you liked them, somebody has to pay these hack's salaries.

#4745 4 years ago

I enjoyed Picard for what it was.

But the real star that’s absolutely kicking it right now is Westworld!

I you want to watch a complete dud then sit through the 8 episodes or DEVS. This should have been an hour black mirror installment. Same blond chick that’s in Picard too.

#4746 4 years ago

For anyone's inner geek ; into High-dynamic-range imaging.

HDTVTest

Reviews the HDR picture quality of Star Wars : Rise of Skywalker 4K Blu-ray disc, how does it look , how does it compare to SDR .

#4747 3 years ago

Star Wars Rise Of Skywalker 3D Bluray Review mine shipped from Zavvi

#4748 3 years ago

Can't wait to not own tros on bluray

#4749 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

Can't wait to not own tros on bluray

It's coming to Disney+ on May the 4th. Zero reason to buy. Even more reasons not to watch.

#4750 3 years ago

94705986_10207319404340519_4213913128456421376_n (resized).jpg94705986_10207319404340519_4213913128456421376_n (resized).jpg

There are 6,234 posts in this topic. You are on page 95 of 125.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spoilers-star-wars-the-last-jedi-is-really-bad-spoilers/page/95?hl=jason43 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.