Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,234 posts
  • 311 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 hours ago by PanzerFreak
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi was...”

• garbage, the worst of the main films 243 votes
      34%
    • decent, better than the prequels 251 votes
      35%
    • really good, on par with the originals 80 votes
      11%
    • great! one of the best 80 votes
      11%
    • who cares, star wars sucks 55 votes
      8%

(709 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

scioli (resized).jpg
    ss1-trapped (resized).jpg
    fantastic_four_1961_48_3 (resized).jpg
    d0c0aa785c9ed124 (resized).jpeg
    b881ebbaf721aff4 (resized).jpeg
    1 (56) (resized).JPG
    the-acolyte-databank-feature-article-feature_536e2878 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1dd86362581cee58daeaeaef82eb6037 (resized).jpg
    the-acolyte-teaser-poster_506fd466 (resized).jpeg
    1 (resized).jpg
    2 (resized).jpg
    3 (resized).jpg
    6aw3vw8uep501 (resized).jpg
    GGtWnNMWMAAWx0I (resized).png
    nickcole1 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,234 posts in this topic. You are on page 89 of 125.
    #4401 4 years ago

Where do you even find a copy of the despecialized edition without going through downloading torrents and all that horseshit?

#4402 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

Where do you even find a copy of the despecialized edition without going through downloading torrents and all that horseshit?

Sadly, you download torrents and all the horseshit. Lucas wouldn’t release the originals for obvious reasons, and Disney has apparently decided not to (they told J.J. it wasn’t going to happen, as he reported in a recent interview).

I was just reading about a new project, someone has actually scanned film for the OT at 4K and cleaned it up digitally. Supposed to look pretty great and I’m planning to check it out if I can find it!
    https://www.thestarwarstrilogy.com/project-4k77/

#4404 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Everyone talks about Han shooting first, but actually my favorite fixes are for ROTJ. Replacing the "Lapti Nek" song in Jabbas palace with that horrific swinging dance number was completely ridiculous & out of place. That moment is the low point of the Specialized Editions. IDK WTF Lucas was thinking with that change.
    Also nice to see the iconic Ewoks "Yub Nub" song restored as well. There's an entire generation of kids who haven't had that song haunting them & replaying in their heads for years. What a shame. haha In fact I bought an old copy of the ROTJ soundtrack on vinyl specifically for that song.

Jesus, Rotj took it right up the poop shoot in the SE's. The other movies are watchable and I can overlook most of the changes, but the jedi se is almost unwatchable.

#4405 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

They were sold for awhle on ebay - I picked up a bunch of them. They even have the wires visiable on some of the droids in Ep4.

#4406 4 years ago

Just watched TROS for the second time.
    Not so bad at all, but:

Chewie should have indeed been killed by Rey, that was a shocking moment, but makes totally sense to push her forward the dark side
    C3POs Memory should´nt have been restored.
    maybe the audience was not happy with these story versions in the test screenings?

Who the heck was the old lady in the last scene? This must have been some cameo ..
    I have checked it and it was NOT my mother.

#4407 4 years ago

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/heat-vision/star-wars-dominic-monaghan-wants-rise-skywalker-director-s-cut-1266205

I'm beginning to wonder if this #releasethejjcut nonsense is a marketing ploy by Disney for a rerelease in two months or to push for more home sales in two months.

Whatever fleshed out turds that could be pumped out and padded onto this mess, only make it a larger, stinkier turd. A turd no less.

#4408 4 years ago

I mean let's see a directors cut what can it hurt? Let it be in theaters or on Disney+

Heck Disney re-released End Game with like one minute of extra content (I didn't see it) but it can easily do a new release int he theaters when the original slows down and it's already well behind TLJ.

Look QT did a Hateful 8 extended edition, there were multiple Blade Runner editions and LotR as well. What's to Hurt, and it'll be more content to stream,m for Disney and hell of a lot cheaper than filming new movie if most of the stuff is already in the can.

I happen to like JJ a lot and it sounds like he wasn't given full control like he was promised.

#4409 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I mean let's see a directors cut what can it hurt? Let it be in theaters or on Disney+
    Heck Disney re-released End Game with like one minute of extra content (I didn't see it) but it can easily do a new release int he theaters when the original slows down and it's already well behind TLJ.
    Look QT did a Hateful 8 extended edition, there were multiple Blade Runner editions and LotR as well. What's to Hurt, and it'll be more content to stream,m for Disney and hell of a lot cheaper than filming new movie if most of the stuff is already in the can.
    I happen to like JJ a lot and it sounds like he wasn't given full control like he was promised.

The plan all along.....?

It can hurt by Disney profiting again, and more, and more, off of junk product. Becoming more and more an industry, global dominant conglomerate that produces solely moron fodder rather than film.

I can't say I feel there's one compelling idea present within this new trilogy. I've seen all the Disney products, and the least nauseating, most competent but still gratuitous by design, is the Mandalorian.

These are big, dumb, piles of shit "celluloid". Thoughtless at best. Artisticly corrosive at worst.

#4410 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

I can't say I feel there's one compelling idea present within this new trilogy.

Well, this new trilogy did help me discover I’m lactose intolerant.

7724E556-621F-4D60-9AD8-567E4415FF5B (resized).png7724E556-621F-4D60-9AD8-567E4415FF5B (resized).png
    #4411 4 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

Well, this new trilogy did help me discover I’m lactose intolerant.[quoted image]

Gotta agree there!

It's also the first movie series I decided to actively drink during each film. Not lactose though......

#4412 4 years ago

These are all pretty solid!

#4413 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I'd wager.. not going to happen.

Iger and KK have a ideology they are pushing and they are not going to change course by putting out another version. They have already angered a lot of fans of TLJ who praised the movie for "its wokeness" and are pissed that it was walked back even a little in TROS.

If they were interested in making heaps of cash it would be a different story. How hard would it have been to give fans what they wanted? At a minimum show Luke Skywalker doing badass Jedi stuff after Return of the Jedi.

Nope, you get grumpy, loser Luke and Mary-Sue Rey and you will like it. So don't hold your breath for a directors cut.

#4414 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I'd wager.. not going to happen.
    Iger and KK have a ideology they are pushing and they are not going to change course by putting out another version. They have already angered a lot of fans of TLJ who praised the movie for "its wokeness" and are pissed that it was walked back even a little in TROS.
    If they were interested in making heaps of cash it would be a different story. How hard would it have been to give fans what they wanted? At a minimum show Luke Skywalker doing badass Jedi stuff after Return of the Jedi.
    Nope, you get grumpy, loser Luke and Mary-Sue Rey and you will like it. So don't hold your breath for a directors cut.

In their defense, if they wouldn't have pushed some of the agenda items they did, there likely would have been a huge backlash from a minority, but very powerful special interest groups. They kind of were in between a rock and a hard place, especially with a product that is so grand in scope.

#4415 4 years ago

I'd wager that the "JJ" cut will be on that super duper, holy shit, Skywalker saga boxed set that they're going on about. Disney's not going to turn down a chance to milk this cash cow a little more.

#4416 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

In their defense, if they wouldn't have pushed some of the agenda items they did, there likely would have been a huge backlash from a minority, but very powerful special interest groups. They kind of were in between a rock and a hard place, especially with a product that is so grand in scope.

In regards to the last movie yes, the course had already been set.

If they started the trilogy on a different note, then no. They could have made a epic Skywalker Star Wars movie. Disney can do it, the majority of Marvel movies under Disney are good though plenty of evidence this is going south.

As long as KK was in charge of Lucasfilm there would be no epic movie with Luke Skywalker.
    hqdefault (resized).jpghqdefault (resized).jpg

#4417 4 years ago

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-kathleen-kennedy-male-fans/

Kathleen Kennedy...intentionally...disrespecting her product's own fan base. Star Wars was worth $4 billion for one reason; the existing, multi-generational, perdominantly male fan base and their willingness to spend money to support the franchise they love. There is plenty of room for greater inclusivity, but how can you survive in any industry if this is how you feel about and act towards your customers?

You can't make this stuff up. Someone's gonna write a book about this one day.

#4418 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

the majority of Marvel movies under Disney are good though plenty of evidence this is going south.

I think Marvel is going to really drop off during this next phase. In some ways it has to drop off because the prior phases were phenomenal and really reached their culmination in Infinity War and Endgame, how could they not drop off now?

But they’ve created a new Mary Sue in Captain Marvel and she can’t be popular with the fans long term. She’s Superman without the kryptonight and has no iconic villains. I thought the 90’s vibe of he show was cool and I enjoyed most of it but over powered hero’s suck.

#4419 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I think Marvel is going to really drop off during this next phase.

I keep saying this to friends. This 5th phase of movies or whatever you call it is a limbo period for next two years. It’s not an impressive slate of films (Black Widow, Captain Marvel 2, Eternals, etc) and they are just setting up for the next baddie (probably Doctor Doom) & introducing Marvels version of Xmen & FF in phase 6. The rumbling from fans will be well underway by that point.

While Doom sounds great, the problem will be that Marvel will be in full on woke mode by then. Feige will step down to takeover Lucasfilm when Kennedy contract is up, and his woke female protégé will take over Marvel films. I forget her name. Expect gender & race recasts of all the Xmen. They will not repeat what Fox did with those characters. Fans are going to love that...

Black Widow looks terrible. A prequel story for a character nobody really cares about, where you already know she’s dead. Who cares. And she has no superpowers. Just a bad ass. She was fine doing her spy stuff, but fighting supervillains? Come on. Zero interest in seeing it.

#4420 4 years ago

I thought you guys liked all the PC bullshit.

#4421 4 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

In this thread? You must be new here.

#4422 4 years ago

I'm pretty sure, It wasn't the PC stuff that we had a problem with, it was the heavy handed messaging in our favorite movie that bugged everyone. I try to be PC in my everyday life. I just don't want my childhood movies requisitioned for someone's agenda. Whatever's the message, PC or otherwise.

#4423 4 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

I'm pretty sure, It wasn't the PC stuff that we had a problem with, it was the heavy handed messaging in our favorite movie that bugged everyone. I try to be PC in my everyday life. I just don't want my childhood movies requisitioned for someone's agenda. Whatever's the message, PC or otherwise.

Exactly, people are welcome to be PC, just keep agendas out of plots in movie franchises that aren’t about social issues. Let movies be driven by a good story and not social initiatives.

For example, while I didn’t mind the all female super hero scene in Endgame during the final battle, it certainly took me out of the movie experience and made me think about what the studio was doing because it was so overt. Movies should be immersive and their goal should be to immerse the audience in the story, not have a scene that takes the audience out of the story and makes them contemplate the social agendas on the directors mid-story.

On the flip side, Avatar included some significant social messaging in it as well, but it didn’t feel forced (like it did in SW and Avengers), it felt organic to the movie so it was perfectly fine with me. Didn’t take me out of the immersion of the movie.

#4424 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

For example, while I didn’t mind the all female super hero scene in Endgame during the final battle, it certainly took me out of the movie experience and made me think about what the studio was doing because it was so overt.

It was laughable it was so over the top. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl power!

If they did the same thing with all the male characters the blue hairs would be out in force on twitter screaming misogyny.

I miss the subtleties of Kubrick, he could slide something into a movie and you would not realize it till sometime after.

Quoted from TigerLaw:

On the flip side, Avatar included some significant social messaging in it as well, but it didn’t feel forced (like it did in SW and Avengers), it felt organic to the movie so it was perfectly fine with me.

I will politely disagree on this point, Ferngully/Dances with Wolves in Space was so ham handed in its messaging that I have not seen it since and have zero desire to see any of the sequels. It might have been technically proficient in visual rendering but the virtue signalling message was loud and clear.

#4426 4 years ago

What's his point? TFA and TLJ were Xmas releases as well, so it's not like TROS got a unique holiday bump. Or is he suggesting that Eps. 7-9 were all "saved" by Christmas?

#4427 4 years ago

most interesting thing for me so far is that i havent talked to anyone who has seen it in real life and probably talked to 30ish friends/family/acquaintances that saw TLJ after it came out. One friend who used to be a huge star wars nerd and TLJ ruined it for him didnt even realize it had come out yet lol

#4428 4 years ago

As time passes & the focus shifts to the Star Wars TV shows, the new trilogy will be regarded on the same level as the prequels. You could even argue that attitude is already widespread. When TROS hits bluray, it will be dissected, torn apart & exposed for the lousy movie it truly is.

New people will eventually be in charge at Lucasfilm. New executives at Disney will run the numbers. They'll notice all the Baby Yoda & Mando/Obiwan toys/merch flying off the shelves, while Rey trilogy merch is forgotten. They'll release the theatrical cuts of the original series. They'll reboot the franchise with an Old Republic Trilogy will all new characters. They'll see attendance down at the Rey Trilogy Star Wars attractions. They'll retrofit the parks to original themes that the fans always wanted in the first place.

In about 5 years, with the exception of a small group of woke obsessed fans, the majority of fans will forget the Rey Trilogy even existed.

#4429 4 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

The deeper route of all of our hatred stems from the fact that the movie lacked a coherent storyline. It was too busy stroking its own ego and heavily relied on nostalgia instead of actually telling a story. If you haven't seen the review from the Critical drinker I suggest you do as he elegantly described how we are all feeling in the last 10 minutes of his two part rant.

#4430 4 years ago

So,TLJ sucked. What do you think of ROS? I actually liked it .

#4431 4 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I liked ROS as well.

Not perfect, but it was good.

Saw it twice.

Made me CRY in about 4 spots

The ending was GREAT

I am Rey...... Rey............. Skywalker!!!!!

That fkd me up.....

Tears in the eyes!

#4432 4 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

ROS was a giant turd.. Just glad the "trilogy" is over so we can move on.

#4433 4 years ago
    Quoted from oktobernv:

I liked ROS as well.
    Not perfect, but it was good.
    Saw it twice.
    Made me CRY in about 4 spots
    The ending was GREAT
    I am Rey...... Rey............. Skywalker!!!!!
    That fkd me up.....
    Tears in the eyes!

Always be trolling!

#4434 4 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

ROS was a giant turd.. Just glad the "trilogy" is over so we can move on.

Well duh, they all sucked though. The original 3 just sucked less. When they came out most of us were very young if we existed. We were amazed and in awe. Take a look at it now and they are terrible movies. I think most of us see them knowing this but they are part of our childhood. I wont even talk about the second 3 because the were on par with Star Trek Nemesis.

#4435 4 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Well duh, they all sucked though. The original 3 just sucked less. When they came out most of us were very young if we existed. We were amazed and in awe. Take a look at it now and they are terrible movies. I think most of us see them knowing this but they are part of our childhood. I wont even talk about the second 3 because the were on par with Star Trek Nemesis.

So your saying the original trilogy sucked, it just didn't suck as bad as the new ones?

#4436 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Always be trolling!

Whatever

Fuckface.....

#4437 4 years ago
    Quoted from oktobernv:

Whatever
    Fuckface.....

giphy (1).gifgiphy (1).gif
    #4438 4 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

So your saying the original trilogy sucked, it just didn't suck as bad as the new ones?

Yep, bad story line, plot holes, bad acting, bad lines, it was what it was. Why is there a pit in every movie that someone falls into. Why does every deathstar have a hidden weakness? Why did the fleet of ships in ROS have a hidden weakness? I liked them because I like Sci Fi and fantacy but they were still bad. I personally wish there were more Chris Pine Star Trek movies. They were much better in my opinion.

#4439 4 years ago

Howard Stern and Robbin both loved it, my wife loved it, other people I’ve talked to said that TROS was great etc.

But the true SW geeks on Howard Stern show just said something like I have a different opinion about it. It’s like I was talking to a coworker he loved it and he loves Mandolin and everything that’s been done relating to SW.

So I think we have casual fans like my wife and Howard and Robbin.

Then we have fans who just love everything SW like my friend.

And there are fans of SW who don’t like the current movies.

I think to me original trilogy (although ROTJ was a bit weak) then R1 was good and the prequels were good too and TFA was ok but I kind of hate Solo, TLJ, I think ROS is ok too but I understand if you hate it, but can’t understand anyone who loved it unless they just watching as something with special effect and things blowing up.

#4440 4 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Yep, bad story line, plot holes, bad acting, bad lines, it was what it was. Why is there a pit in every movie that someone falls into. Why does every deathstar have a hidden weakness? Why did the fleet of ships in ROS have a hidden weakness? I liked them because I like Sci Fi and fantacy but they were still bad. I personally wish there were more Chris Pine Star Trek movies. They were much better in my opinion.

I don't know really where to begin, so I'm just going with the agree to disagree cliché. The Star Trek V Star Wars argument is almost as divisive and unwinnable as debating which religion is "better". What it comes down to is how the movie made you feel, and honestly star wars means a lot to me because of how it made me feel watching it for the first time and the 20th.

#4441 4 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Hate to tell you, but you probably don't want to go back and watch any of the old serials that Star Wars is based off of then.

#4442 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Hate to tell you, but you probably don't want to go back and watch any of the old serials that Star Wars is based off of then.

Im sure they would be interesting to watch. I didn't know Star Wars was based off anything.

#4443 4 years ago

https://cosmicbook.news/star-war-skywalker-box-office-huge-failure

Forbes goes over some of the stats, noting Skywalker "will almost certainly end up below the $532 million domestic total of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story."

Skywalker's domestic gross is currently at $463 million.

The Force Awakens had a domestic cume of near a billion dollars, with The Last Jedi coming in at over $620 million.

It's also learned that the box office for Skywalker plummetted 40% from Tuesday to Wednesday and a whopping 86% from last Wednesday compared to this past Wednesday.

#4444 4 years ago

ROS was probably the best of the three but that's not saying much.

It felt so rushed. Why the artificial 18 hour schedule? They flew to FIVE DIFFERENT PLANETS in that time! Why does JJ have no respect for distance? I don't recall the originals having any stupid arbitrary time limits.

And that fleet? All controlled from one tower? Oh, they actually have a backup in the lead ship. Wonder why the rest of the fleet doesn't have the same capability. Also why can't they fly straight up?

And the hugging. My god.

Why exactly did the Falcon have to crash land? Doesn't it normally hover? I mean, even if the landing gear don't work, it could have landed. Oh right, you need to force the characters to take a boat.

Still didn't give two shits about any of the characters at the end. Grew a bit more for Adam Driver, he really carried that whole shitshow.

Anyway, glad this whole saga is over. Terrible.

#4445 4 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Im sure they would be interesting to watch. I didn't know Star Wars was based off anything.

It takes a lot from "The Hidden Fortress" amongst other sources.

#4446 4 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Serious question, if you haven’t enjoyed any of the franchise’s offerings ever, why do you want to participate in this particular thread?

The bulk of this thread has been posts by those of us that loved the franchise but felt let down by the horrible story telling, disingenuous media support, and over the top placement of social issues that didn’t belong in the movie. If you never liked the franchise at all you wouldn’t really have the strong visceral reaction to the BS we’ve been dealing with with this latest trilogy offering from Disney.

I’m not saying you aren’t welcome here, obviously you can certainly post here if you like, but without having the history of enjoying the franchise did the new trilogy really bother you?

#4447 4 years ago

Great Points Tiger!

Amazes me too....

Some people are just so sad and bitter that "all" they can do is spew hate....

Wait a minute....

That reminds me of a SW character or two.....

It has come FULL circle!

#4448 4 years ago

They trollin

#4449 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Serious question, if you haven’t enjoyed any of the franchise’s offerings ever, why do you want to participate in this particular thread?
    The bulk of this thread has been posts by those of us that loved the franchise but felt let down by the horrible story telling, disingenuous media support, and over the top placement of social issues that didn’t belong in the movie. If you never liked the franchise at all you wouldn’t really have the strong visceral reaction to the BS we’ve been dealing with with this latest trilogy offering from Disney.
    I’m not saying you aren’t welcome here, obviously you can certainly post here if you like, but without having the history of enjoying the franchise did the new trilogy really bother you?

I guess I didn't explain it correctly. I love science fiction and fantasy movies but many of them are poorly written and cornball as hell. The Star Trek movies were mostly terrible but I still enjoyed watching them. Have you ever seen the Eregon movie? Terribly written and it did a huge injustice to the books but I still watched it. The original Star Wars, if Im not mistaken was a low budget film that was never expected to take off like it did. I loved it as a kid and I still watch it now and enjoy it but now I see its flaws. I just enjoy them for what they are. Does that make more sense. I tend to step on myself when explaining things and I come off as a very negative person. Oh, does anyone wish they hadn't killed off Kylo at the end of ROS?

#4450 4 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I guess I didn't explain it correctly. I love science fiction and fantasy movies but many of them are poorly written and cornball as hell. The Star Trek movies were mostly terrible but I still enjoyed watching them. Have you ever seen the Eregon movie? Terribly written and it did a huge injustice to the books but I still watched it. The original Star Wars, if Im not mistaken was a low budget film that was never expected to take off like it did. I loved it as a kid and I still watch it now and enjoy it but now I see its flaws. I just enjoy them for what they are. Does that make more sense. I tend to step on myself when explaining things and I come off as a very negative person. Oh, does anyone wish they hadn't killed off Kylo at the end of ROS?

The original film was a milestone in 1977. If you think it has flaws, you probably shouldn't watch any sci fi movie before 1977.

There are 6,234 posts in this topic. You are on page 89 of 125.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spoilers-star-wars-the-last-jedi-is-really-bad-spoilers/page/89 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.