Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,192 posts
  • 311 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by gdonovan
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi was...”

• garbage, the worst of the main films 243 votes
      34%
    • decent, better than the prequels 251 votes
      35%
    • really good, on par with the originals 80 votes
      11%
    • great! one of the best 80 votes
      11%
    • who cares, star wars sucks 55 votes
      8%

(709 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1 (56) (resized).JPG
    the-acolyte-databank-feature-article-feature_536e2878 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1dd86362581cee58daeaeaef82eb6037 (resized).jpg
    the-acolyte-teaser-poster_506fd466 (resized).jpeg
    1 (resized).jpg
    2 (resized).jpg
    3 (resized).jpg
    6aw3vw8uep501 (resized).jpg
    GGtWnNMWMAAWx0I (resized).png
    nickcole1 (resized).png
    d4109923eb01c73d (resized).jpeg
    Dude.gif
    IMG_3942 (resized).png
    c70f2c8a4c529e76 (resized).png
    heather-michele-orourke_214479_5_full (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,192 posts in this topic. You are on page 80 of 124.
    #3951 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

I personally think when Vader turns back to good and throws the Emperor to his death is the best, but regardless, we feel that we because we have invested in the characters and believe in our own way, that it is reality, or that it's real to them.
    Everything after the originals are just comic book type of scenarios, and that is partly due to CGI, partly to shitty writing and party due to shitty directing.

The issue I always had with that scene, is that a lot of the dynamics seemed cartoonish. As in Palpatine was less nuanced than he became in the Prequels. He obviously turned Crazy Hooded Frog Monster, and that was over the top, but in Jedi, he's just so vaudevillian in ways, so absurd. And the flip for Vader to go from staunch Imperial Advocate to luvin' Daddy, felt so sudden, too extreme.

I appreciate the thought of that scene, but the execution is a bit exaggerated.

#3952 4 years ago

I'm perfectly satisfied with 4,5 and 6. Like the Alien and Predator franchises... Alien ends with Aliens, Predator ends with Predator (although I can tolerate Predator 2). So Star Wars ends with Return of the Jedi for me. I went into TFA with a great deal of optimism. I watched it once... walked away feeling ok about it but it didn't really create that desire to see more. After I saw TLJ I found myself totally disinterested in every single one of the new cast. Each one of these movies has felt like each character was acting in their own movie... nothing feels connected its a total mess. I've no reason to feel that TROS will "fix" it. I've read all the spoilers ... it truly sounds awful.

The OT was an anomaly... it hit us at the right time... it fit our imagination... it felt authentic, intimate. The PT was doomed from the start, there was no mystery ... nothing to keep you wondering. And although Lucas is great and a visionary... he produces a better product when he is working with other talented movie makers. So the PT was just about expose... and that's boring. Disney's trilogy well that's just a cash grab that everyone wants in on... its about making a series of movies that are all inclusive, non offensive... everyone is good everyone is bad ... lots of yelling... scrunchy faces and nostalgic regurgitation. Unfortunately like the OT... it fits our current state of affairs.

Of course I'm 49 - "get the hell of my lawn" - and that informs my critique. LOL

#3953 4 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

The greatest 30 seconds in movie history is when Luke confronts Vader after he suggests Leia might come to the dark side. The music, the fighting, the drama; it is perfection.

Gosh, so hard to pick the best ever thirty second moment in movie history. I think I’ll go with the ending segment of Karate Kid I, from “Finish him!!!!” to the crane kick to the trophy raise...what a high note to end a movie on, I can’t think of another movie that ended so explosively.

As far as Star Wars, gosh...my favorite short moment would be the two on one fight to end TPM, particularly the part when Qui Gon was fighting solo and killed while Obi Wan was trapped trying to progress through the shielding...then Maul stalking Obi Wan while separated by the shielding.

Both my favorite movie moments were fight scenes. LOL

#3954 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ricochet:

I'm perfectly satisfied with 4,5 and 6. Like the Alien and Predator franchises... Alien ends with Aliens, Predator ends with Predator (although I can tolerate Predator 2). So Star Wars ends with Return of the Jedi for me. I wen't into TFA with a great deal of optimism. I watched it once... walked away feeling ok about it but it didn't really create that desire to see more. After I saw TLJ I found myself totally disinterested in every single one of the new cast. Each one of these movies has felt like each character was acting in their own movie... nothing feels connected its a total mess. I've no reason to feel that TROS will "fix" it. I've read all the spoilers ... it truly sounds awful.
    The OT was an anomaly... it hit us at the right time... it fit our imagination... it felt authentic, intimate. The PT was doomed from the start, there was no mystery ... nothing to keep you wondering. And although Lucas is great and a visionary... he produces a better product when he is working with other talented movie makers. So the PT was just about expose... and that's boring. Disney's trilogy well that's just a cash grab that everyone wants in on... its about making a series of movies that are all inclusive, non offensive... everyone is good everyone is bad ... lots of yelling... scrunchy faces and nostalgic regurgitation. Unfortunately like the OT... it fits our current state of affairs.
    Of course I'm 49 - "get the hell of my lawn" - informs my critique. LOL

Yeah, the Prequels suffer from the mystery removal quotient. Same as what's happening now with Solo, Mandalorian, and the OT characters. Do we really need any of it explained, or elaborated on?

The biggest issue with Star Wars is the room to grow and expand the universe has always existed mostly in avoiding what the OT did, rather than embrace it. But everything since has been lightsabers, duality of the Force, familiar droids, aging characters, etc.

It's like when I look at that new EA game that came out a month ago. It's just a mishmash of familiar crap, looking like Star Wars, but never truly expanding it....

#3955 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

We'll have to agree to disagree. It's fine that people like them, but the prequels are some of the finest examples of shit filmmaking out there. 3 is watchable at best. 1 and 2 are bad on almost every level. And it ain't because of jar jar or Jake Loyd. The directing, writing, dialogue, acting, plot, pacing, editing... all horrid. To the point that it's dumbfounding. People don't hate the prequels because it's ingrained in our culture. They hate them because they're garbage. Like I said, it's fine to like them. I like my fair share of horrible movies. But let's not try to pretend that the prequels are some kind if misunderstood classics here.

I dunno, shit filmmaking to me is entirely disposable stuff like Fast and the Furious. I tried watching the spinoff, Hobbs and Shaw? At the drive in this summer, and man.....

#3956 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

Yeah, the Prequels suffer from the mystery removal quotient. Same as what's happening now with Solo, Mandalorian, and the OT characters. Do we really need any of it explained, or elaborated on?
    The biggest issue with Star Wars is the room to grow and expand the universe has always existed mostly in avoiding what the OT did, rather than embrace it. But everything since has been lightsabers, duality of the Force, familiar droids, aging characters, etc.
    It's like when I look at that new EA game that came out a month ago. It's just a mishmash of familiar crap, looking like Star Wars, but never truly expanding it....

Yeah there is mystery in the story arc and mystery in all of the subtle styling and detail that just exists for the purpose of telling the story. Over time this stuff has been teased out, exploited and capitalized on for whatever reason. Some for the fun of it, some for telling other stories. We are in a period now where anything can be put on the screen even if you don't have to... so everything is there. In my opinion this is what is killing modern cinema. We are taking the "fill in the blanks" away from the audience and that is what is cheapening the experience. Consequently re-using even the smallest parts of this stuff sometimes feels offensive.

#3957 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ricochet:

In my opinion this is what is killing modern cinema. We are taking the "fill in the blanks" away from the audience and that is what is cheapening the experience.

Modern cinema is absolutely on the decline. It seems like no movie can be a big success off new IP, it has to be a sequel or spin off of some other property.

The last big “new idea” “stand alone” movie I can remember that was truly a blockbuster was Inception. All other new IP movie seem to just be DOA unless it’s Pixar...and even Pixar is into sequels now.

All of these things go in cycles though, just as currently Hollywood is currently making cookie cutter non-offensive things designed to be fully inclusive and take no risks, the pendulum will swing one day away from that creative model to edgier stuff. It’ll be like the the WWF (now WWE) in the 90’s. Right before the “Attitude Era” began the WWF was giving us Doink the Clown and other cookie cutter characters...edgier stuff will follow this creative lull we are in.

#3958 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Modern cinema is absolutely on the decline. It seems like no movie can be a big success off new IP, it has to be a sequel or spin off of some other property.
    The last big “new idea” “stand alone” movie I can remember that was truly a blockbuster was Inception. All other new IP movie seem to just be DOA unless it’s Pixar...and even Pixar is into sequels now.
    All of these things go in cycles though, just as currently Hollywood is currently making cookie cutter non-offensive things designed to be fully inclusive and take no risks, the pendulum will swing one day away from that creative model to edgier stuff. It’ll be like the the WWF (now WWE) in the 90’s. Right before the “Attitude Era” began the WWF was giving us Doink the Clown and other cookie cutter characters...edgier stuff will follow this creative lull we are in.

Huge corporations own all of the studios again... so ... yeah.

I thought that the sequel to Blade Runner was fantastic. Unfortunately that movie was considered a flop so I don't fit the success demographic. LOL

#3959 4 years ago

I think if you saw the original 3 movies in the theater as a kid like I did you have a different take on it then younger people who saw them later. For the times, It was so mindblowingly different than anything that had come before. For me, Star Wars ends halfway through ROTJ. They blew it with the Ewoks and they really blew it by taking the biggest baddest mofo in the galaxy and turning him into a pussy in ROTJ. Besides the awesome setting and special effects of the time, what really made the first 2 1/2 movies great were the really likeable heroes and villains to root for, and against.

#3960 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

I think if you saw the original 3 movies in the theater as a kid like I did you have a different take on it then younger people who saw them later. For the times, It was so mindblowingly different than anything that had come before. For me, Star Wars ends halfway through ROTJ. They blew it with the Ewoks and they really blew it by taking the biggest baddest mofo in the galaxy and turning him into a pussy in ROTJ. Besides the awesome setting and special effects of the time, what really made the first 2 1/2 movies great were the really likeable heroes and villains to root for, and against.

Yup, I always say your age really defines how you feel about these movies. 77-83 was magical for me as a kid... and it stuck with me.

I don't think a movie like Empire Strikes Back comes around very often. I'm just glad it did.

#3961 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Besides the awesome setting and special effects of the time, what really made the first 2 1/2 movies great were the really likeable heroes and villains to root for, and against.

Having competent villains that weren’t slapstick idiots was a major factor in the success of the original trilogy and sets the prequels apart from the current run as well. You need good villains to have strong hero characters that people will admire.

We went from the Emporer, Vader and Tarkon to villains that are their for laughs like General Hux and Emo Kylo who can’t win a sword fight against an untrained newbie and the waste clean up man.

#3962 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ricochet:

Yup, I always say your age really defines how you feel about these movies. 77-83 was magical for me as a kid... and it stuck with me.
    I don't think a movie like Empire Strikes Back comes around very often. I'm just glad it did.

It’s not just watching the movies, it’s remembering the experience. My dad didn’t do anything first. He made us wait until just before school started to take the whole family to see Star Wars in late August 1977 at the Del Amo theater, which had the biggest screen in town. The theater seating was actually concave so it sucked to sit anywhere but the front or the back if you didn’t like people’s heads taking up half the screen. The kid behind me kept kicking my seat. When I complained to my dad, he got irritated that I bothered him, and said to “kick him back”. My two oldest sisters could care less. My oldest brother said he preferred Star Trek. But my youngest brother and sister and I loved it. Afterwards, I asked my mom if Darth Vader died at the end. Sensing my worry, she assured me that he died. Liar.

Empire was with my mom and youngest brother and sister, again after everyone had seen it and ruined the Luke’s father secret. My dad and older siblings didn’t care to see it. The kid behind me didn’t kick my seat but told me it was his 7th time seeing the movie and he proceeded to ruin it for me by calling out every time something was going to happen.

Saw ROTJ with brother, sister, and 2 cousins. Mom dropped us off as she didn’t want to waste 2 hours of her life. My cousin ripped on the film the whole time starting with the cartoonish pig guards in their cheap plastic costumes and Jabbas’ laughing little pet with the big ears, and ending with the whole midgets in pajamas Ewok debacle. I distinctly remember my cousin saying, “Jesus, Darth Vader is a big pussy”, and agreeing with him.

#3963 4 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

The greatest 30 seconds in movie history is when Luke confronts Vader after he suggests Leia might come to the dark side. The music, the fighting, the drama; it is perfection.

I would argue that the end of Rogue One is perhaps the greatest moment of the series.

We know what came of the death star plans and how many people lost their lives to acquire them, but it never truly became REAL before that scene.

Darth Vader has truly mastered the dark side and unsheaths all of his powers on the rebels in order to get the plans back. He literally kills dozens of people like it is nothing. They are powerless against him. The chosen one that is supposed to restore balance to the galaxy has not only turned to pure evil...but he is INVINCIBLE. The rebels are running from him in absolute terror. The final rebel holds no illusions that he will ever see the light of day again as he desperately passes the plans through a partially open door, only to have them taken at the last possible second prior to his massacre.

They barely escape, by the smallest of margins, and they are still on the run with the most powerful being in the universe right on their tail.

That scene isn't about jar-jar binks, cute ewoks, or pithy Han Solo one-liners. It is about what they are truly facing; a totalitarian regime hell-bent on the extermination of anyone who opposes them. This is their revolutionary war and their World Wars all wrapped up into one. It isn't pretty or sugar coated. It is a WAR.

#3964 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Having competent villains that weren’t slapstick idiots was a major factor in the success of the original trilogy and sets the prequels apart from the current run as well. You need good villains to have strong hero characters that people will admire.
    We went from the Emporer, Vader and Tarkon to villains that are their for laughs like General Hux and Emo Kylo who can’t win a sword fight against an untrained newbie and the waste clean up man.

For sure. Obviously not counting the trade federation viceroys, the villains in the prequels were pretty daunting. When emo REN not only got his ass handed to him by Rey, but was also injured and had a tough time taking down Finn in a lightsaber duel, that was just too much. Can you imagine a storm trooper picking up a lightsaber for the first time and giving Darth Vader all he could handle in A New Hope or Empire. (Don’t ask about Jedi, Old age and senility hit Vader like a brick wall in that one)

Tarkon was the ultimate evil Nazi type. Cold and calculating. Although he had no force powers, He commanded everyone’s respect. There was no hesitation in his voice when he commanded Vader to “release him”. And of course, Darth Vader obeyed his command. Maybe Hux started out as a Tarkon type before KK got her hands on him.

#3965 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

It’s not just watching the movies, it’s remembering the experience. My dad didn’t do anything first. He made us wait until just before school started to take the whole family to see Star Wars in late August 1977 at the Del Amo theater, which had the biggest screen in town. The theater seating was actually concave so it sucked to sit anywhere but the front or the back if you didn’t like people’s heads taking up half the screen. The kid behind me kept kicking my seat. When I complained to my dad, he got irritated that I bothered him, and said to “kick him back”. My two oldest sisters could care less. My oldest brother said he preferred Star Trek. But my youngest brother and sister and I loved it. Afterwards, I asked my mom if Darth Vader died at the end. Sensing my worry, she assured me that he died. Liar.
    Empire was with my mom and youngest brother and sister, again after everyone had seen it and ruined the Luke’s father secret. My dad and older siblings didn’t care to see it. The kid behind me didn’t kick my seat but told me it was his 7th time seeing the movie and he proceeded to ruin it for me by calling out every time something was going to happen.
    Saw ROTJ with brother, sister, and 2 cousins. Mom dropped us off as she didn’t want to waste 2 hours of her life. My cousin ripped on the film the whole time starting with the cartoonish pig guards in their cheap plastic costumes and Jabbas’ laughing little pet with the big ears, and ending with the whole midgets in pajamas Ewok debacle. I distinctly remember my cousin saying, “Jesus, Darth Vader is a big pussy”, and agreeing with him.

Of course. For me it was mostly an entirely a mystery. My parents were for the most part home bodies. I had to go see movies and get out with my older siblings or friends. I remember everyone talking about this new movie, I had some Topps cards and had to wait quite a while to see Star Wars.. I was in love with the movie before I saw it. When Empire hit, like Star Wars my sister took me to see it. I had no idea what to expect... except what I saw on the commercials. I distinctly remember walking out of the movie theater feeling exhausted and sad... at the same time totally thrilled with what I just saw. It was the only movie in my life where I was immediately anxious to see what was next... and we waited 3 years for it. Jedi was the happy ending... I had already spoiled that movie as I knew that Luke and Leia were related ... but didn't know how the whole thing would play out. I very much enjoyed Jedi, seeing Jabba the Hutt in the movie theater was awesome. Yeah there were definitely some quality issues with Jedi. Ewoks didn't offend me at the time, I grew out of them as I got older... I think this is probably true for a lot of people who don't care for that part. I was 13 by now and unlike today, liking Star Wars as a teenage boy wasn't cool... it was over so I didn't really pick it apart all that much. It's easy to do that now... hell they are really friggin' old movies. All good memories for me.

#3966 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

The issue I always had with that scene, is that a lot of the dynamics seemed cartoonish. As in Palpatine was less nuanced than he became in the Prequels. He obviously turned Crazy Hooded Frog Monster, and that was over the top, but in Jedi, he's just so vaudevillian in ways, so absurd. And the flip for Vader to go from staunch Imperial Advocate to luvin' Daddy, felt so sudden, too extreme.
    I appreciate the thought of that scene, but the execution is a bit exaggerated.

I can understand that, but he did in fact get tempted with Luke on Endor when Luke turned himself in.

#3967 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ricochet:

I'm perfectly satisfied with 4,5 and 6. Like the Alien and Predator franchises... Alien ends with Aliens, Predator ends with Predator (although I can tolerate Predator 2). So Star Wars ends with Return of the Jedi for me. I went into TFA with a great deal of optimism. I watched it once... walked away feeling ok about it but it didn't really create that desire to see more. After I saw TLJ I found myself totally disinterested in every single one of the new cast. Each one of these movies has felt like each character was acting in their own movie... nothing feels connected its a total mess. I've no reason to feel that TROS will "fix" it. I've read all the spoilers ... it truly sounds awful.
    Of course I'm 49 - "get the hell of my lawn" - and that informs my critique. LOL

Well said, you nailed it.

#3968 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Phantom Menace was not poorly received at the time of release by the masses, it just became cool to dislike it later and Jar Jar and Anikan were easy targets.

Umm, I was there opening day and everyone around me was disappointed. It was 100% poorly received at the time.

#3969 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Umm, I was there opening day and everyone around me was disappointed. It was 100% poorly received at the time.

I remember wanting each of the next in the PT to get better... ATOC was worse and ROTS was a slight uptick. I enjoyed the fanfare associated with the release of TPM more than the movie itself... my daughter was 7 so I had fun taking her to a Star Wars movie. That was about it. People were amazed at the visuals of TPM... but walked away confused. It didn't feel like a Star Wars movie should... it was off.

George Lucas does not like to write screenplays or really to direct people. It is not his strong suit... he has said this himself. He was entirely in control of the writing and directing of the PT (he did hire help on AOTC). He is a great visionary... great editor... and great at pushing creative limits of his team. If nothing else, the PT was a straight forward story arc and helped to usher in the pure digital movie making era (advancing the tools and technology).

#3970 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

It was 100% poorly received at the time.

Just because something was your experience doesn’t mean it was “100%” that way for everyone...

We had applause in my theater on opening day, which oddly enough there also were for TLJ and TFA...on their respective opening days...

#3971 4 years ago

I’m hoping episode 9 will exceed my modest expectations.

#3972 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I would argue that the end of Rogue One is perhaps the greatest moment of the series.

We know what came of the death star plans and how many people lost their lives to acquire them, but it never truly became REAL before that scene.

Darth Vader has truly mastered the dark side and unsheaths all of his powers on the rebels in order to get the plans back.

I think the scene is cool but doesn't make sense if you watch A New Hope afterwards. The continuity is ruined by Vader being a total bad ass. He's crazy powerful, moving around with speed, disposing rebel troops with ease in RO yet in ANH he looks sluggish as he battles Ken obi. It's a great scene but I think the battle between Vader & Luke tops it. The battle between Ken obi, Quigon & Maul is also better.

#3973 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I’m hoping episode 9 will exceed my modest expectations.

I've read all of the spoilers, fan theories, & leaks. The ROS can only be summed up with three words: Count Dooku Baby!

#3974 4 years ago

Bit unrelated but the new Ghostbusters: Afterlife trailer was released today. I think it looks awesome. This looks like a good way to incorporate something old and new without crapping all over the original source material.

Peter Venkman "Its time for the Ghostbusters...to end"

Ray Stanz "I came to this firehouse to die"

Lol thankfully not.

#3975 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Bit unrelated but the new Ghostbusters: Afterlife trailer was released today. I think it looks awesome. This looks like a good way to incorporate something old and new without crapping all over the original source material.
    Peter Venkman "Its time for the Ghostbusters...to end"
    Ray Stanz "I came to this firehouse to die"
    Lol thankfully not.

Not gonna lie... I’m a bit optimistic. I’ve sworn off franchise milking exercises... but this looks interesting

#3976 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ricochet:

Not gonna lie... I’m a bit optimistic. I’ve sworn off franchise milking exercises... but this looks interesting

I think it looks horrible. Has nothing to do with the style or direction of the original movie. Probably would be a great movie if it was called something else.

#3977 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

I think it looks horrible. Has nothing to do with the style or direction of the original movie. Probably would be a great movie if it was called something else.

It looks more like a spin off. I can tolerate that more than just re-skinning with nostalgia. Feels a bit like a Stranger Things inspired thing

... but ... who knows

#3978 4 years ago

Is TLJ scheduled to be on regular tv soon? I would like to see it one more time but refuse to spend a dime on this movie.

#3979 4 years ago
    Quoted from Iaintnobodydork:

Is TLJ scheduled to be on regular tv soon? I would like to see it one more time but refuse to spend a dime on this movie.

Doubt it... I feel like these are all pay per view on all content providers except for Disney+ subscribers (whom are paying for the content as subscribers).

#3980 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ricochet:

It looks more like a spin off. I can tolerate that more than just re-skinning with nostalgia. Feels a bit like a Stranger Things inspired thing
    ... but ... who knows

After thinking about it a bit more, maybe this was the only direction it could take. To do another film in the similar style/same universe as 35 years ago and capture the same magic is impossible.

#3981 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ricochet:

... but ... who knows

Agreed. Call you what you like but looks like it works. Stranger Things meet Ghostbusters. I'm game.

#3982 4 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Agreed. Call you what you like but looks like it works. Stranger Things meet Ghostbusters. I'm game.

Wow, I don't know if I should happy for the kids growing up today or feel sorry for them....they're getting hand me downs of what we grew up with. They have very little movie legends from their own time. Ghostbusters with woman and then Ghostbusters with kids. I don't want to be around for the next one.

#3983 4 years ago

In other news... how about that Mandalorian episode 5 huh? Yikes. The series is getting seriously derailed these last two episodes, but Episode 5 was the worst by far & did very little to advance the story. Hard to believe that was written & directed by Dave Filoni. Well actually, I take that back, because it felt like a live action version of one of his cartoons. Pretty pointless episode.

I had a problem right from the beginning of the episode. Mando knows the Empire loyalists, the Bounty Hunter Guild, etc are all out to get him & steal/kill Baby Yoda. He's been attacked multiple times over several episodes. The threat is real. He's developed a soft spot for the little guy & he's embraced his role as his protector. So what's the first thing he does when he lands on Tatooine??? He leaves Baby Yoda all alone to go look for work. Wait what??? WTF Mando. Then he hires a babysitter. Huh? I was scratching my head the whole time. Don't leave Baby Yoda out of your sight Mando!

I think things will turn around with 3 episodes to go though. Time to explain some yoda backstory & amp up the stakes with the Empire on his tail. Get back to the serious tone & the main story.

#3984 4 years ago

I still don’t like everyone calling him Mando. He never introduces himself as Mando or anything. It’s kind of strange imo. Oh well the whole show is kind of stupid.

Also why can’t he remove his helmet while alone on the ship? SMH.

#3985 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

In other news... how about that Mandalorian episode 5 huh? Yikes. The series is getting seriously derailed these last two episodes, but Episode 5 was the worst by far & did very little to advance the story. Hard to believe that was written & directed by Dave Filoni. Well actually, I take that back, because it felt like a live action version of one of his cartoons. Pretty pointless episode.
    I had a problem right from the beginning of the episode. Mando knows the Empire loyalists, the Bounty Hunter Guild, etc are all out to get him & steal/kill Baby Yoda. He's been attacked multiple times over several episodes. The threat is real. He's developed a soft spot for the little guy & he's embraced his role as his protector. So what's the first thing he does when he lands on Tatooine??? He leaves Baby Yoda all alone to go look for work. Wait what??? WTF Mando. Then he hires a babysitter. Huh? I was scratching my head the whole time. Don't leave Baby Yoda out of your sight Mando!
    I think things will turn around with 3 episodes to go though. Time to explain some yoda backstory & amp up the stakes with the Empire on his tail. Get back to the serious tone & the main story.

4 threw a red flag up for me... then 5 pulled it all the way to the top of the pole.

I just think that they are having a problem with energy level and pace. These story arcs are really really short. 1-5 is like 2 1/2 episodes of most contemporary series.

Not a fan of the secondary acting talent... its not doing it for me. The last episode also had so much fan service gravy it kind of turned me off. I'm still enjoying it but the newness and excitement is waning.

#3986 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Just because something was your experience doesn’t mean it was “100%” that way for everyone...

Yes, but you claimed with absolute certainty that it received unbridled acclaim and only later was found wanting. Myself, all my friends, and the entire theatre left the showing finding it wanting, and later that day most of the internet I checked agreed that it was wanting. It's more than just my experience.

TPM was a dud right away and that's not just my opinion.

#3987 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I hear ya, I would have written it differently, I would've had him drop off baby Yoda after rescue and written the story about Herzog hunting him down from planet to planet till a final showdown with him and Herzog at the cloning facility...where he finds out Herzog was the commander that hunted the Mandalorians...with a flash back with young Herzog killing his parents....balh blah
    Oh well. Babysitter Mando is cool too

#3988 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

claimed with absolute certainty that it received unbridled acclaim and only later was found wanting.

I said no such thing, you should read my post again; I said Phantom Menace was not poorly received at the time of release by the masses. Very little ever receives "unbridled acclaim" now or in the 90's.

#3989 4 years ago

What's starting to "confuse" me about The MANDO is this:

#1 - He's a "bounty" hunter who right off the jump goes against EVERYTHING "the guild" stands for??

#2 - He decided to "cross" The Empire.

#3 - He Raids/kills/blows up The Empires "hide-out"

#4 - He now is the SINGLE / MOST WANTED man in the Galaxy.

#5 - The Empire is after him, EVERY other Bounty Hunter is after him....

How the hell do you walk that back?

Turn HEAL and hand over Baby Yoda to The Empire?

And HOPE they don't kill you at first op?

What about The Guild? Why would they EVER stop trying to kill you?

They HAVE to in order to ENFORCE their own code or they become a joke.....

Lot's of questions...

Dunno.....

Quoted from kvan99:

I hear ya, I would have written it differently, I would've had him drop off baby Yoda after rescue and written the story about Herzog hunting him down from planet to planet till a final showdown with him and Herzog at the cloning facility...where he finds out Herzog was the commander that hunted the Mandalorians...with a flash back with young Herzog killing his parents....balh blah

#3990 4 years ago
    Quoted from oktobernv:

What's starting to "confuse" me about The MANDO is this:
    #1 - He's a "bounty" hunter who right off the jump goes against EVERYTHING "the guild" stands for??
    #2 - He decided to "cross" The Empire.
    #3 - He Raids/kills/blows up The Empires "hide-out"
    #4 - He now is the SINGLE / MOST WANTED man in the Galaxy.
    #5 - The Empire is after him, EVERY other Bounty Hunter is after him....
    How the hell do you walk that back?
    Turn HEAL and hand over Baby Yoda to The Empire?
    And HOPE they don't kill you at first op?
    What about The Guild? Why would they EVER stop trying to kill you?
    They HAVE to in order to ENFORCE their own code or they become a joke.....
    Lot's of questions...
    Dunno.....

I think this just creates endless opportunity for each new episode to be ..." running away... getting caught by and adversary, defeat the adversary... keep running". I worry that this will get old. Something has to get a bit deeper here. Not sure how but for it to be viable.. it has to.

#3991 4 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Yeah the story approach has been a bit frustrating. I think it's a symptom of what plaques the new movies. Too many producers, writers & directors wanting to put their stamp on this. And since it's a TV show, the attitude is that they can go slow with the story & let everyone's voice be heard. I think it's clearer now that Favreu wrote the story arch & each director are filling in the details. Some are doing a better job than others.

The key here was that the show was taking place 5 years after ROTJ. A fertile unexplored era of Star Wars. What happened after the Empire collapsed? What happened to all the loyalists & legions of the Empire? Did the old Moffs just disband their legions of stormtroopers? How did the New Republic take control of the galaxy? How did these changes effect the Outer Rim? So on & so forth. They have barely scratched the surface of these ideas in the first couple episodes. Now it's morphed into the daily life of a babysitting bounty hunter on the search for credits. They can do much better than this. Again last two episodes were really unnecessary.

I read an interview with the composer of the show before the season started. He mentioned that it felt like he was writing a soundtrack to 3 different films for Season 1. I understand what he means now. First 3 episodes focused on the scum & villiany, middle 2 episodes focused on his backstory, relationships & motivations, last 3 episodes should be the action packed climax to hunt down the Mando.

There has also been also of chatter about the end of Episode 5, where a mysterious person walks up to the dead female bounty hunters body. Some keep saying this is Boba Fett, due to the clanging spur sounds as he approaches the body. I doubt it though. More likely this is the Empire Loyalists on his tail. In Episode 3, when the Mando was evesdropping on The Doctor & Werner Herzog, it was clear that they were working for someone else. Most likely the Moff who hasn't been introduced yet.

The show has potential. Let's see what they bring with the 3rd act. Hopefully Favreau is more involved. The guy knows how to do live action well.

#3992 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Yeah the story approach has been a bit frustrating. I think it's a symptom of what plaques the new movies. Too many producers, writers & directors wanting to put their stamp on this. And since it's a TV show, the attitude is that they can go slow with the story & let everyone's voice be heard. I think it's clearer now that Favreu wrote the story arch & each director are filling in the details. Some are doing a better job than others.
    The key here was that the show was taking place 5 years after ROTJ. A fertile unexplored era of Star Wars. What happened after the Empire collapsed? What happened to all the loyalists & legions of the Empire? Did the old Moffs just disband their legions of stormtroopers? How did the New Republic take control of the galaxy? How did these changes effect the Outer Rim? So on & so forth. They have barely scratched the surface of these ideas in the first couple episodes. Now it's morphed into the daily life of a babysitting bounty hunter on the search for credits. They can do much better than this. Again last two episodes were really unnecessary.
    I read an interview with the composer of the show before the season started. He mentioned that it felt like he was writing a soundtrack to 3 different films for Season 1. I understand what he means now. First 3 episodes focused on the scum & villiany, middle 2 episodes focused on his backstory, relationships & motivations, last 3 episodes should be the action packed climax to hunt down the Mando.
    There has also been also of chatter about the end of Episode 5, where a mysterious person walks up to the dead female bounty hunters body. Some keep saying this is Boba Fett, due to the clanging spur sounds as he approaches the body. I doubt it though. More likely this is the Empire Loyalists on his tail. In Episode 3, when the Mando was evesdropping on The Doctor & Werner Herzog, it was clear that they were working for someone else. Most likely the Moff who hasn't been introduced yet.
    The show has potential. Let's see what they bring with the 3rd act. Hopefully Favreau is more involved. The guy knows how to do live action well.

I think the preview already gave his identify away...it's a character played by Giancarlo Esposito

#3993 4 years ago

Yes Moff something & his legion of loyal death troopers. I think the action (and adult themes) are really going to pick up.

Also the mysterious stranger could be Carl Weathers & his band of top Bounty Hunters. He's going to want revenge for getting shot in the chest, so he's going to enlist some heavy hitting bounty hunters to his cause I'm sure. Bring in some big players from outside the parsec. He knows how much that Baby Yoda bounty is worth. Money & revenge are great motivators.

#3994 4 years ago

Mando may have the worst supporting characters on TV, at least in the last few episodes. Every person he interacts with is annoying af.

#3995 4 years ago

After 4 I have given up on the show, I am still watching though. I'm just waiting to see Bill Burr, he can't be as horrible as everyone else has been so far.

#3996 4 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

After 4 I have given up on the show, I am still watching though. I'm just waiting to see Bill Burr, he can't be as horrible as everyone else has been so far.

Won't Bill Burr be as painfully odd and obvious as Amy Sedaris though?

#3997 4 years ago

Watching a trailer tonight I have quite a few questions. One of them is, why do we need a tracked motorcycle when we have speeder bikes?
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#3998 4 years ago

I found the answer...

#3999 4 years ago

The Last Jedi was so horrible I do not even have the urge to see the new movie coming out this month. I’ll wait to see it when I can rent it. What a shame....

#4000 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Darth Vader has truly mastered the dark side and unsheaths all of his powers on the rebels in order to get the plans back. He literally kills dozens of people like it is nothing. They are powerless against him. The chosen one that is supposed to restore balance to the galaxy has not only turned to pure evil...but he is INVINCIBLE. The rebels are running from him in absolute terror. The final rebel holds no illusions that he will ever see the light of day again as he desperately passes the plans through a partially open door, only to have them taken at the last possible second prior to his massacre.
    They barely escape, by the smallest of margins, and they are still on the run with the most powerful being in the universe right on their tail.
    That scene isn't about jar-jar binks, cute ewoks, or pithy Han Solo one-liners. It is about what they are truly facing; a totalitarian regime hell-bent on the extermination of anyone who opposes them. This is their revolutionary war and their World Wars all wrapped up into one. It isn't pretty or sugar coated. It is a WAR.

For total Vader Badassery, I'd say his conflicts as Anakin, dealing with the weight of his mother being tortured, then slaying those skanky skunky Tuskens and fams, was more drama inducing.

I rewatched the Rogue One end scene after you posted this, and unofficially I'd say scene 38, the redo, is far more aggressive and nasty than Rogue One.

Obviously, unofficial.

But the prior scene I mentioned, and him telling Padme there was a rampage, lying to her, to get her on his side after he murdered children and anyone that stood in his way, was far more psychotic and ruthless as "Vader" than a chip chop scene leading from Rogue One to a New Hope.

His scene with Padme later, telling her of his betrayal to his entire life, has more weight for me also.

The moments where Anakin has to face his decision making, is far more weighty and consequence filled than a quick hack and slash of some goofy helmet wearing turd rebel turd burglars. For me, it's his transional scenes, from innocent Ani, to wicked Darth, which seem the most drama filled.

His humanity, and therein his loss of it, is more compelling than random murder.

There are 6,192 posts in this topic. You are on page 80 of 124.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spoilers-star-wars-the-last-jedi-is-really-bad-spoilers/page/80?hl=tramd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.