(Topic ID: 205155)

*SPOILERS* Star Wars: TLJ is really bad and other Star Wars/Disney/Marvel talk *

By InfiniteLives

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 3,752 posts
  • 269 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 29 minutes ago by wesman
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi was...”

• garbage, the worst of the main films 199 votes
      32%
    • decent, better than the prequels 228 votes
      37%
    • really good, on par with the originals 75 votes
      12%
    • great! one of the best 71 votes
      12%
    • who cares, star wars sucks 40 votes
      7%

(613 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 228 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

BillBurr-720x405 (resized).png
    881F6808-527C-464E-BCEB-E8145B3FE269 (resized).jpeg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    40AC8A23-5366-4647-AAC5-78CE25EE1017 (resized).png
    sluggo (resized).JPG
    4E795214-BF8E-4F1B-9EE2-FE9F96F1C735.gif
    45FE8ADB-3F3E-4F72-99A3-BED7569E80B7 (resized).png
    Tapped_Out_Stupid_Sexy_Flanders (resized).png
    6603212-kkyhjl4th5krhkjlocmydbqyfblvm1lwav6mz35wdbs (resized).jpg
    62BA3935-7799-4995-98ED-E8B04D22A5BD (resized).jpeg
    9D9DD4DD-E500-4636-8701-7D45386661A2 (resized).jpeg
    giphy.gif
    lando (resized).jpg
    D73AC851-058D-4C8E-8DE6-6CF2D6E055F9 (resized).jpeg
    Swiss Army Lightsaber.gif
    9AE1A0F0-CB17-43DB-834D-C577DCA28855 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3752 posts in this topic. You are on page 75 of 76.
    #3701 12 days ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

I read that they were fired....I don't think it was a contentious issue, I think Lucasfilm wanted a time line and they couldn't deliver when they're on the hook with Netflix. Also, I'm sure the money from Disney is chicken shit compared to the 200 mil they got from Netflix.
    EDIT: Hopefully all of this chaos is pointing towards Kevin taking over, he's getting rid of the dumb deals Kennedy has made. I bet you, if he's in charge the next trilogy will be the Thrawn trilogy.

Disney management Bergman, Horn & Kennedy are all leaving or have contracts expiring in 2021. I think the Kevin Feige Star Wars talk is just to throw fans a bone. Look what he dice with Marvel! Imagine what he will do with Star Wars! Call me skeptical.

I think they are grooming him to take over for Alan Horn as Disney CCO. If not The Disney Chairman someday. He’s made them billions. He’ll help steer the Star Wars ship until 2021. I don’t foresee any leadership changes until then.

#3702 12 days ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

I read that they were fired....I don't think it was a contentious issue, I think Lucasfilm wanted a time line and they couldn't deliver when they're on the hook with Netflix. Also, I'm sure the money from Disney is chicken shit compared to the 200 mil they got from Netflix.
    EDIT: Hopefully all of this chaos is pointing towards Kevin taking over, he's getting rid of the dumb deals Kennedy has made. I bet you, if he's in charge the next trilogy will be the Thrawn trilogy.

Serious question. Despite the intense marrying of characters and moving a collective plot forward, do we really thing the Disney Marvel era of movies will hold up over the years?

I don't feel they hold the emotional weight, spectacle or artistic direction of the first two Donner Superman movies or the Nolan Batman films.

I don't feel these movies even come close to matching the popcorn spectacle of Spielberg's Indy series, which not incredibly great films, are long lasting and genre defining movies.

#3703 12 days ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

really? like $10 popcorn and $8 cokes? or $5 candy bars? im not sure I know of a theater that has good food? unless your saying its like an evening out on the town and hit up dinner before the movie?

Yeah, that stuff. I think the majority of people I know would rather not go to the movie if I told them they couldn't get something to eat or drink there. Movie is secondary, lol. I don't get it either, maybe it's because I'm going for the actual movie, and they're going for the 'experience'.

#3704 12 days ago

My wife drags me to movies strictly for the movie popcorn. I have made countless trips to the theater and asked the usher if I can just buy some popcorn Togo for my wife. They always let me go right in, and I always thank them as I walk out with the tub.

#3705 12 days ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

My wife drags me to movies strictly for the movie popcorn. I have made countless trips to the theater and asked the usher if I can just buy some popcorn Togo for my wife. They always let me go right in, and I always thank them as I walk out with the tub.

We go to the movies for the experience like we did when we were kids. We don't pay big bucks for it, we go to our local theater we went to as kids. No reclining seats with booze and "gourmet" food with $20 ticket prices...that just isn't worth it to us. We can go for under $20 total with tickets, unlimited pop and unlimited popcorn...which makes it all worthwhile. Our theater has an unlimited popcorn bucket you buy and get free refills the entire year...and you bet I do the same thing as you...I go there all the time just to fill up and leave without seeing a movie. Even better for me is that you don't have to have a ticket to get to the concessions or the free arcade games in the lobby, so it's easy sailing for me to do it.

#3706 9 days ago
    Quoted from wesman:

Serious question. Despite the intense marrying of characters and moving a collective plot forward, do we really thing the Disney Marvel era of movies will hold up over the years?
    I don't feel they hold the emotional weight, spectacle or artistic direction of the first two Donner Superman movies or the Nolan Batman films.
    I don't feel these movies even come close to matching the popcorn spectacle of Spielberg's Indy series, which not incredibly great films, are long lasting and genre defining movies.

Yes the Marvel movies will hold up for me. Maybe not all like Ant-man or Captain Marvel. But IM, Thor, Strange etc hold up to IJ movies imo. Some better than others but IM is quite old now and I can watch it quite a lot still.

#3707 9 days ago
    Quoted from rai:

Some better than others but IM is quite old now and I can watch it quite a lot still

I saw Iron Man a couple months ago. It has aged incredibly well. Tony wasn’t invulnerable and the suit didn’t make him into a deity yet. It was refreshing to see some measure of physics respected and I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the first Iron Man.

#3708 9 days ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I saw Iron Man a couple months ago. It has aged incredibly well. Tony wasn’t invulnerable and the suit didn’t make him into a deity yet. It was refreshing to see some measure of physics respected and I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the first Iron Man.

Iron Man will hold up and the first guardians. You know what doesn’t hold up at all? All the added cgi scenes Lucas put in the original SW trilogy. Every untouched scene holds up very well after 40 years, but the added cgi scenes look awful and dated.

#3709 9 days ago

Dude Han stepping on and over Jabba The Hut looks totally natural and real.

#3710 9 days ago
    Quoted from rai:

Yes the Marvel movies will hold up for me. Maybe not all like Ant-man or Captain Marvel. But IM, Thor, Strange etc hold up to IJ movies imo. Some better than others but IM is quite old now and I can watch it quite a lot still.

Funny, that earlier today I was thinking of how I could cope in a world without that Doctor Strange movie. It felt so visually bloated, like dramactic scenes were rarely allow time to develop. That's an issue I have with most of these Marvel movies. The closest version of drama which comes to mind, was the weird cat fight in the first Avengers, where every character came off like an unlikable, ego laden prick.

Quoted from TigerLaw:

That's one of the more spaced out dramas. Feels more traditional in pacing, character introductions. My biggest gripe with that was the tiger like aspects of Stark seem really moot in these depictions, like he's just snarky and brilliant, but never an alcoholic questioning his competency or philandering around.

Total side note, I finally watched 2014's "Dracula Untold" and was incredibly surprised. It felt like a fun, frivolous, and sensible disposable fantasy/action movie from an era long gone by. No quips were made, undercutting mood and character traits, the performances were excellent for what they were, Luke Evans always seems very solid in action roles, and it just felt like a movie....as in no agendas felt forced, and things just seemed to be placed into that world for the sake of storytelling. Very disposable, but very entertaining, and it felt in high contrast to the Disney worlds now ever dominant.

Too bad it grossed for shit, and that Tom Cruise Mummy movie seems to have sucked, and shut down the potential for a Universal...universe.

#3711 9 days ago
    Quoted from wesman:

Too bad it grossed for shit, and that Tom Cruise Mummy movie seems to have sucked, and shut down the potential for a Universal...universe.

Yes, the Mummy tanking the entire universe before it could really get started was a huge disappointment.

#3712 8 days ago
    Quoted from wesman:

Very true, they made a boatload of money, but 20 yrs from now, no one will remember the professor Hulk, Hawkeye or Falcon, let alone put their quotes on T-shirts.

#3713 4 days ago

Mandalorian soon.....

Few more days

How many episodes are in SE 1 ?

#3714 4 days ago

So apparently Princess Leia was supposed to be The Last Jedi? She never showed any force powers until the Mary Poppins moment in TLJ. Guess the plan was to kill off Luke and have Leia finish Ray's training and or become a powerful Jedi? I don't understand this new trilogy at all, what a mess and waste of a once in lifetime opportunity to properly reunite the original characters.

https://nypost.com/2019/11/07/carrie-fishers-brother-reveals-shocking-original-star-wars-ending-for-leia/

Also, Anthony Daniels (C3P0), recently expressed his disappointment for the new films.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1199288/Star-Wars-9-Rise-Skywalker-C3PO-Anthony-Daniels-backlash-fans-film-release-date

"I know it has been particularly difficult for him (Hamill) lately because the new movies haven’t given him much to do. I certainly recognise that and can relate to it."

"In these new movies, I have felt like a table decoration. And that is difficult because I recognise this character (C-3PO) is worth so much more. But I understand it is a whole film, not a feature about C-3PO."

#3715 4 days ago

I’d rather see a 3PO movie than TLJ.

#3716 4 days ago
    Quoted from oktobernv:

Mandalorian soon.....
    Few more days
    How many episodes are in SE 1 ?

Eight one-hour episodes I believe. Those expecting to binge on Tuesday are in for a surprise though. The episodes will be released weekly. The final episode wont be released until after Episode 9 is in theaters. I'm sure that was by design to generate hype & get people to go to the theater.

I cannot wait for this Going to be fun spotting the easter eggs in every episode & seeing actual character development. You know....great writing, great story, great new characters.

#3717 4 days ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Eight one-hour episodes I believe. Those expecting to binge on Tuesday are in for a surprise though. The episodes will be released weekly. The final episode wont be released until after Episode 9 is in theaters. I'm sure that was by design to generate hype & get people to go to the theater.
    I cannot wait for this Going to be fun spotting the easter eggs in every episode & seeing actual interesting character development.

I think it's because they know they don't have enough content at launch, so they are dragging it out. They know everyone was just going to subscribe for a month, binge, quit and sign up again when they have more stuff.

#3718 4 days ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I cannot wait for this Going to be fun spotting the easter eggs in every episode & seeing actual character development. You know....great writing, great story, great new characters.

i mean that would be great but what of the current track record leads you to believe thats the case with just a short trailer out on it? I wouldnt get too hyped until they actually prove they can do that.

#3719 4 days ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

i mean that would be great but what of the current track record leads you to believe thats the case with just a short trailer out on it? I wouldnt get too hyped until they actually prove they can do that.

In Filoni we trust.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/11/dave-filoni-george-lucas-star-wars

I still haven't watched much of his work. I have low expectations, so anything reasonably okay, will be an upswing for me.

#3720 4 days ago

I forget this is pinball forum at times. I'm a Star Wars superfan. First movie I ever saw in theaters was Empire Strikes back at 5 years old. I dress up as a stormtrooper, so I suppose I am biased. However I will call bullshit when I see it. I don't embrace everything just because it is Star Wars.

I see nothing like that with the Mandalorian.

From everything I've seen & read, it's going to be a homerun. Fans have been clamoring for a bounty hunter based movie for years. It's written & produced by Dave Filoni & Faureu. Long proven track record & Star Wars superfans. They came up with their own idea for a series & were given the freedom to give the fans what they've always wanted. The casting is fricking outstanding. It covers an era (5 years post Jedi) that is ripe for exploration, as are the type of scum & villainy characters that inhabit these underworlds. It's geared towards adults, not children. Every fan that has gotten a sneak preview has been thrilled with what they saw. I saw the 10 minutes of footage that were leaked at Celebration, and that blew me away. This series is a love letter to the original trilogy, and it's jam packed with small details that only superfans can notice.

People like to hate on Star Wars these days. Some of that is completely justified. But I think this series is going to surprise alot of people. Latest TV spot:

#3721 4 days ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I forget this is pinball forum at times. I'm a Star Wars superfan. First movie I ever saw in theaters was Empire Strikes back at 5 years old. I dress up as a stormtrooper, so I suppose I am biased. However I will call bullshit when I see it. I don't embrace everything just because it is Star Wars.
    From everything I've seen & read, it's going to be a homerun. Fans have been clamoring for a bounty hunter based movie for years. It's written & produced by Dave Filoni & Faureu. Long proven track record & Star Wars superfans. They came up with their own idea for a series & were given the freedom to give the fans what they've always wanted. The casting is fricking outstanding. It covers an era (5 years post Jedi) that is ripe for exploration, as are the type of scum & villainy characters that inhabit these underworlds. It's geared towards adults, not children. Every fan that has gotten a sneak preview has been thrilled with what they saw. I saw the 10 minutes of footage that were leaked at Celebration, and that blew me away. This series is a love letter to the original trilogy, and it's jam packed with small details that only superfans can notice.
    People like to hate on Star Wars these days. Some of that is completely justified. But I think this series is going to surprise alot of people. Latest TV spot:

So true, I guess with your BS meter, you're talking about passion.....It's always about the people involved, you don't make something great by phoning it in. That's what we've had so far, people phoning iconic franchises in to us. Same with Marvel lately, just phone that shit in and make a billion. Thank you and come again! I'm not going to pay for that type of work, I refuse. I just finished watching "The King" you couldn't have a worst story to make a movie out of (period piece, court intrigue with little action and with english accents) but you know what it was great, because the writers, (big props to Joel Edgerton) actors and director were all talented people.

#3722 4 days ago

I love these cinematic TV shows but I’d be down for some lesser production weekly sci-fi drama that don’t cost $20M per episode, get more volume of content. Maybe I need to start watching the clone wars. (?).

#3723 4 days ago
    Quoted from wesman:

Doesn't that depend on what you're in the mood for? Sometimes you want a quick game of Fishtales and sometimes you want a long game of TSPP. Both hold up well.

"aritistic" is kind of loaded. It's best left for people who need to dissect a media film as part of their education vs getting some friends together for some popcorn and nostalgia. Was Goonies "artistic"? Probably not. Lots of people still like rewatching it for the nostalgia fix.

There's room for both - one type isn't better than the other IMO.

#3724 4 days ago
    Quoted from rai:

I love these cinematic TV shows but I’d be down for some lesser production weekly sci-fi drama that don’t cost $20M per episode, get more volume of content. Maybe I need to start watching the clone wars. (?).

Clone Wars and Rebels were both good. Rebels particularly in last couple seasons. The story arcs in Rebels are amazing. Felt way more invested in the core characters they developed there then anything that was done prequels and post-quels. The way they ended it could open up a complete story line with Thrawn and Ezra as well as incorporate Ahsoka. Filoni is fantastic.

Haven't taken the time to get into Resistance - it's looked like the most "kidish" to me though.

#3725 4 days ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I believe people are putting too much blind faith in this. They want so bad to have their expectations filled, and while I like Favreau at times and I am big fan of Herzog, I see too many red flags to get excited about it. Just that scene where the bounty hunter turns around at Herzog's comment like he has an attitude has me disappointed. There wasn't any hip/trendy scene like that was ever in Star Wars. No big spotlight moment or intense action blitz ever appears. The original film's play more like a Howard Hawks film than anything else, and the sense of realism at the events are there at every turn, and that was due to Lucas.

It was all about story and character development. Hope I'm proving wrong.

#3726 4 days ago
    Quoted from Methos:

I believe people are putting too much blind faith in this. They want so bad to have their expectations filled, and while I like Favreau at times and I am big fan of Herzog, I see too many red flags to get excited about it. Just that scene where the bounty hunter turns around at Herzog's comment like he has an attitude has me disappointed. There wasn't any hip/trendy scene like that was ever in Star Wars. No big spotlight moment or intense action blitz ever appears. The original film's play more like a Howard Hawks film than anything else, and the sense of realism at the events are there at every turn, and that was due to Lucas.
    It was all about story and character development. Hope I'm proving wrong.

Won't worry. You'll be wrong.

It's not blind faith either. I've seen the trailers. I've read interviews with actors & directors. I'm able to judge with my own eyes. It exactly what I've been asking them to make for years. I've watched the Clone Wars. I've read the books. More scum & villiany and less Jedi is just fine with me. However you apparently watched the same trailers & made a completely opposite interpretation. To each their own.

So you were disappointed with a "trendy/hip" scene that showed a Mandalorian with an attitude, deplaying his aura of arrogance & confidence? How about when the Stormtrooper tells him we have you 4 to 1, to which he responds "I like those odds". You must not be very familiar with the lore of their race then. Don't worry though. You will soon enough. That last trailer, that Ugnaught says "I've never met a Mandalorian, but I've heard the stories". They are almost as legendary as the Jedi.

In that scene you're questioning, Herzog was telling him it's good to have Beskar back in the hands of a Mandalorian. Beskar is an incredibly valuable ore & only found on Mandalore. The war loving Mandalorians are master smiths & it what they use to create their unique armor & weapons. Even the Stormtroopers in the room (who are on high alert having a Mandalorian so close) lean in to take a peek at the rare metal. See? It's the little things they are paying attention to. I understand his armor & weapons will change throughout the series as he acquires & crafts more beskar.

Herzog goes on to state it's good to see things return to the natural order of things. The way things were under strict rule & not the current instability effecting systems after the fall of the Empire. He asks the Mandalorian if he agrees, to which he gets a cold icey stare in return. The Mandalorian only cares about himself. Or is there more to him than meets the eye? Ooooo look! A character development plot point!

Can't wait for Tuesday

#3727 4 days ago

This video is worth the watch. I'm deep down the Star Wars leaks and theories. Potential spoilers.

#3728 4 days ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Funny, I always thought your icon was an abstract Grievous head. Only now noticed it's a buffalo!

I think people have hated on Star Wars, the films specifically, for good reason. Not simply to be irked, avoid contentment, etc. They've sucked, and at best used nostalgia solely for their merits. Daaaaamn, I tried watching the Last Jedi the other night again, got a half hour in before disinterest, annoyance, and the idea of doing better things came along.

I've always heard the cries for more Fett, never understood why. The Bulloch Fett was such a cameo of a character, meanwhile it never seemed like people dug Jango that much, who I genuinely found ferocious in those dialog scenes Morrison had with McGregor in his Camino living quarters.

I'm at the point where I wish cues and hints to other older films were dropped. Maybe make new compelling dialog, though the Finn "I'm the man" sorta mantra maybe makes me leary of that. Hearing the "heard the stories" line feels so much akin to the Jedi, it's offputting for me. How many legends are there in this galaxy anyway?

I hope, well would hope, that oddly his armor was used in only select scenes, almost like a "baddie of the week", and at the end of tracking this beast or crook, he then placed his mantle on akin to Batman. Incognito stuff first, ala his detective persona, than the last ten minutes a fierce, intense showdown/hunt. But from what I see of these shots, and Herzog sticking out as Herzog does with every line of dialog, this show doesn't appear very subtle, but what has so far in the past decade of Star Wars?

Quoted from Hobbypinball:

Doesn't that depend on what you're in the mood for? Sometimes you want a quick game of Fishtales and sometimes you want a long game of TSPP. Both hold up well.
    "aritistic" is kind of loaded. It's best left for people who need to dissect a media film as part of their education vs getting some friends together for some popcorn and nostalgia. Was Goonies "artistic"? Probably not. Lots of people still like rewatching it for the nostalgia fix.
    There's room for both - one type isn't better than the other IMO.

I mentioned a few posts later, I was really pleasantly surprised with "Dracula Untold", an entirely forgettable, but entertaining goofy popcorn flick. The Marvel stuff mixes too many genres, in a way that feels schizophrenic, more than melodic and entrancing. I dig dumb, action stuff sure, but there never feels like a grounded sense of the world in Marvel movies. It's all quick cuts, undercut drama via jokes, and characters that feel all like an offshoot of sarcastic Tony Stark.

I miss the tone and style of the first Blade....

Goonies had some great cinematography, from what I recall. Never wanted to watch it over and over again, but Richard Donner is a king regarding fantasy and the grandiose.

Oh, and I don't think I snubbed the Marvel movies for not being artistic, I feel they just aren't interested in developing drama well. They certainly are visual spectacles, just not nearly as memorable as older Spielberg stuff.

#3729 3 days ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Won't worry. You'll be wrong.
    It's not blind faith either. I've seen the trailers. I've read interviews with actors & directors. I'm able to judge with my own eyes. It exactly what I've been asking them to make for years. I've watched the Clone Wars. I've read the books. More scum & villiany and less Jedi is just fine with me. However you apparently watched the same trailers & made a completely opposite interpretation. To each their own.
    So you were disappointed with a "trendy/hip" scene that showed a Mandalorian with an attitude, deplaying his aura of arrogance & confidence? How about when the Stormtrooper tells him we have you 4 to 1, to which he responds "I like those odds". You must not be very familiar with the lore of their race then. Don't worry though. You will soon enough. That last trailer, that Ugnaught says "I've never met a Mandalorian, but I've heard the stories". They are almost as legendary as the Jedi.
    In that scene you're questioning, Herzog was telling him it's good to have Beskar back in the hands of a Mandalorian. Beskar is an incredibly valuable ore & only found on Mandalore. The war loving Mandalorians are master smiths & it what they use to create their unique armor & weapons. Even the Stormtroopers in the room (who are on high alert having a Mandalorian so close) lean in to take a peek at the rare metal. See? It's the little things they are paying attention to. I understand his armor & weapons will change throughout the series as he acquires & crafts more beskar.
    Herzog goes on to state it's good to see things return to the natural order of things. The way things were under strict rule & not the current instability effecting systems after the fall of the Empire. He asks the Mandalorian if he agrees, to which he gets a cold icey stare in return. The Mandalorian only cares about himself. Or is there more to him than meets the eye? Ooooo look! A character development plot point!
    Can't wait for Tuesday

If every film/series was as good as the trailers made it out to be and what the cast stated in interviews, most everything would be cinematic gold. You have your standards and I have mine, that's fine. The scene you reference (appears) to be something from modern times, not what Lucas created 30 years ago. The ending Vader scene in Rouge One is a perfect example of today's cinematic flair (if you can call it that). Lots of fans loved it, however it almost ruined the movie for me.

I do respect Herzog and the Director, so I'm hoping I'm wrong.

#3730 3 days ago
    Quoted from Tomahawkjim:

This video is worth the watch. I'm deep down the Star Wars leaks and theories. Potential spoilers

Not worth a watch. When the guy started talking about GL coming in to consult on act three of re-write you knew immediately it was at most fantisful thinking and click bait.

#3731 3 days ago
    Quoted from Methos:

If every film/series was as good as the trailers made it out to be and what the cast stated in interviews, most everything would be cinematic gold. You have your standards and I have mine, that's fine. The scene you reference (appears) to be something from modern times, not what Lucas created 30 years ago. The ending Vader scene in Rouge One is a perfect example of today's cinematic flair (if you can call it that). Lots of fans loved it, however it almost ruined the movie for me.
    I do respect Herzog and the Director, so I'm hoping I'm wrong.

Herzog unfortunately is a bit of a cartoon character, onscreen, as much as I adore his older films, and appreciate most of his documentaries, even the more recent ones, which aren't as solid as his older work.

Every line he utters, seems so incredibly poised, lingering on every syllable, and draws me out of the environment he's in....which for a fantasy world doesn't feel good. He needed to be in Bad Lieutenant: New Orleans for that shit, not just behind the camera.

Now...if he were the Mandalorian, I'd be game!

I'm also finding it hard not to get past hearing "Mandolin + Accordion" when I hear Mandalorian. It's frankly, a bit of a goofy word. Midichloridian level of goofy.

#3732 3 days ago
    Quoted from wesman:

Herzog unfortunately is a bit of a cartoon character, onscreen, as much as I adore his older films, and appreciate most of his documentaries, even the more recent ones, which aren't as solid as his older work.
    Every line he utters, seems so incredibly poised, lingering on every syllable, and draws me out of the environment he's in....which for a fantasy world doesn't feel good. He needed to be in Bad Lieutenant: New Orleans for that shit, not just behind the camera.
    Now...if he were the Mandalorian, I'd be game!
    I'm also finding it hard not to get past hearing "Mandolin + Accordion" when I hear Mandalorian. It's frankly, a bit of a goofy word. Midichloridian level of goofy.

I hear you, but remember what we're watching though, a sci-fi flick with space dragons and men in metal masks. If it knows what it is and delivers on that, it will be great. Now can Ep 9 deliver? I don't know...probably not. The big thing they got going for them is the Dec 20 opening, there is no real competition opening that week, Jumanji is opening the week before, but I doubt it will steal much thunder from it. The other movie opening that week is 1917 which is like caviar compared to the spam Disney is offering us, but again not the same audience...so Ep. 9 will have some good mojo working for it, judging from how many people liked TLJ I think it will clear a billion easy even if it's just ho-hum like most of JJ's flicks.

#3733 3 days ago

It does sound like some people just wont like anything done by Disney. It’s all Avengers sucks and Mandolorian is gonna blow.

I’m sure some don’t like the direction with TLJ, all the force is a woman and Mary Sue and Mary Poppins and just say everything past the original trilogy is crap.

To be honest nothing is pure gold there are some things in the original trilogy that I roll my eyes at. But I still enjoy it and I like the prequels at times. And I liked TFA and R1 a bit.

I mean it’s not all great like the original trilogy (TLJ and Solo were super low points but for example some James Bond were stinkers that doesn’t mean I’m not going to watch any more James Bond movies. Godfather 3 was horrible but I’ll still watch it from time to time because I like The Godfather movies and even a bad movie is good for something imo. It just hurts that it’s not as good as part 1 & 2 but I’ll still watch GF3 again.

#3734 3 days ago

Wow, early reviews are in!! It looks like TM is going to be everything we thought it would be.....

Critics gush over first look at the Disney+ Star Wars show, 'The Mandalorian"

https://mashable.com/article/the-mandalorian-star-wars-reaction-roundup/

Fun facts:
    The first episode will be directed by Filoni himself....his first time directing a live action.
    Also the reason Favreau decided to write The Mandalorian is because the was doing sounds for IM in Skywalker studios when he met Filoni, and Filoni asked him to voice a character, Mandalorian leader Pre Vizsla....that's what germinated the idea to write this show.

#3735 3 days ago
    Quoted from rai:

It does sound like some people just wont like anything done by Disney. It’s all Avengers sucks and Mandolorian is gonna blow.
    I’m sure some don’t like the direction with TLJ, all the force is a woman and Mary Sue and Mary Poppins and just say everything past the original trilogy is crap.
    To be honest nothing is pure gold there are some things in the original trilogy that I roll my eyes at. But I still enjoy it and I like the prequels at times. And I liked TFA and R1 a bit.
    I mean it’s not all great like the original trilogy (TLJ and Solo were super low points but for example some James Bond were stinkers that doesn’t mean I’m not going to watch any more James Bond movies. Godfather 3 was horrible but I’ll still watch it from time to time because I like The Godfather movies and even a bad movie is good for something imo. It just hurts that it’s not as good as part 1 & 2 but I’ll still watch GF3 again.

I feel like nostalgia goggles fuels a lot of how I felt about the OT for a few decades. I feel A New Hope is the best actual film of any of these flicks, stands on it's own entirely, and presents and ends character growth in phenomenal ways while introducing so much. But I really love the entirety of the Prequels, as awful, and clunky as some parts are, the cohesion is second to none, and the story arc feels smooth, well designed, and largely likeable.

Solo feels the definition of gratuitous.

#3736 2 days ago

Well, this seems bad. Very bad.

For being an incredibly wealthy, worshipped person, I genuinely feel bad to what's happened to his universe since he sold to Disney.

White slavers indeed.

Cosmic Book News: George Lucas Saving Star Wars; Test Screenings 'Disaster'.
    https://cosmicbook.news/george-lucas-saving-star-wars-test-screenings-disaster

#3737 2 days ago

I think that’s based on the same YouTube story that tomahawkjim linked earlier in this thread. While it’s an interesting listen, I think the story is fanciful and not true. I do not see Disney legitimately asking for George’s help even if the sky was falling in on the franchise, which they do not seem to believe is the case anyway.

We will see how Episode IX does in the box office. I know my family will not be paying for any tickets to see it.

#3738 2 days ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

While it’s an interesting listen, I think the story is fanciful and not true.

I agree with you. I've read alot about plot theories and leaks and what not. I agree Disney would definitely not ask George Lucas for help. And if you were George Lucas why would you want to help them.

#3739 2 days ago
    Quoted from Tomahawkjim:

I agree with you. I've read alot about plot theories and leaks and what not. I agree Disney would definitely not ask George Lucas for help. And if you were George Lucas why would you want to help them.

I'd agree with that notion, years earlier in this mess, but it's been stated he's dropped in on messes even like Solo, to give advice to Ron Howard, and I remember hearing something like that maybe for Rogue One also?

I'd be less surprised than more so, given Abrahams is clearly not a creator, and Kennedy has never seemed constructive in that role either. Whereas Rian Johnson, clearly felt he was clever enough to rewrite or reconstruct on his own.

I don't necessarily hope Lucas got balls deep, as this seems like a total loss either way.

I also thought it was stated a year or so ago, openly, that he was somewhat consulting storywise, to help guide more than anything.

Ultimately, I have to think Disney execs, Iger, realizes this ship is sinking, badly. Calling in any and all reinforcements at this point seems incredibly necessary to maintain the brand, after the backlash from TLJ.

#3740 2 days ago
    Quoted from wesman:

His older work is far superior to anything he's done since he stopped working with Kinski no doubt, but Grizzly Man was a great film. I haven't seen too many of his other recent works besides Loch Ness which was amusing.

#3741 2 days ago
    Quoted from rai:

I don't think that is true. I like about 75% of TPM, and parts of Rogue One was enjoyable as well. The criticisms are (mostly) deserivable and I'm not surprised the output is as poor as it has been. GW couldn't even capture his own magic anymore, the original movies were made in a certain time and in a certain space. To get that magic back isn't very probable. Even Disney isn't Disney anymore, they are so far removed from Walt and all the people who were with him. Now, Disney is just another mega entertainment company like Sony, and the others. Profit was so far removed from Walt's mind, he and his brother fought tooth and nail all their lives about money.

#3742 1 day ago

Bloomberg had a nice interview with Bob Iger....shed a lot of light about the future of Disney, Pixar, Marvel, SW and the newly acquired Fox properties. Wow, they've picked up everything...in the future it's all between Netflix and Disney, everyone else is just too late to catch them now.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2019-11-07/inside-disney-bob-iger-on-star-wars-pixar-and-more

An excerpt of the article...
    Long before he became chief executive officer of Walt Disney Co. in 2005, Robert Iger developed a habit of waking up on weekdays at 4:15 a.m. and working out. Lately he’s been getting up around that hour on weekends, too, to exercise and watch early versions of his studios’ movies and television shows. He’s been obsessing over the first season of The Mandalorian, a space western from the Star Wars universe created by actor-director Jon Favreau. The show is about a bounty hunter whose armor bears a distinct resemblance to that of Boba Fett, who tracked down Han Solo in The Empire Strikes Back.

“I’ve probably seen each episode of The Mandalorian three times,” Iger says. “First, to give some notes. Second, to see the rough cut and the impact of the notes. And now, just recently, I watched all the final cuts so that I could be blown away by how it looks.” Disney is spending more than $100 million on the show, so it had better be visually stunning and then some.

Also the reports about Ep 9 testing badly is making it's round on the internet. It's also been confirmed by KK that the ending was changed during production....that is a bad sign.
    One last thing, Iger says he watched The Mandalorian 3 times at least....when was the last time a CEO of a major conglomerate, took on managing a show and give detailed notes about a tv show? This is a sign that KK is out!!!!

#3743 1 day ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

“I’ve probably seen each episode of The Mandalorian three times,” Iger says. “First, to give some notes. Second, to see the rough cut and the impact of the notes. And now, just recently, I watched all the final cuts so that I could be blown away by how it looks.” Disney is spending more than $100 million on the show, so it had better be visually stunning and then some.

As long as it's visually stunning, doesn't matter if the story is good or not.

#3744 22 hours ago

Don’t mess with the Mando!

#3745 12 hours ago

Disney+ is live now. Who’s gonna be the first to watch Mandolorian?

#3746 12 hours ago
    Quoted from rai:

Disney+ is live now. Who’s gonna be the first to watch Mandolorian?

Just finished it... its good star wars fun done right and has some pretty cool shit in there. EXCELLENT opening to this new series. Easily outperforms anything that has been produced lately

#3747 10 hours ago

Watching it today AFTER work

got the APP installed on apple TV

Ready to go!!

#3748 9 hours ago

I'll consider myself fortunate if I actually get to see it today. Everyone will be coming home to watch it after work tonight during peak streaming period. Fully expecting app to crash & be down. I read it already crashed & was down for several hours already today.

#3749 6 hours ago

It was really SLOW and CHOPPY this morning

Buddy of mine was going to "try and watch it" but decided to "wait" till later today and see if things balance out

Expected, but not super cool........

Sure they will work it out pretty quick

#3750 4 hours ago
    Quoted from oktobernv:

It was really SLOW and CHOPPY this morning
    Buddy of mine was going to "try and watch it" but decided to "wait" till later today and see if things balance out
    Expected, but not super cool........
    Sure they will work it out pretty quick

I just finished watching it....I give it a 7.5 out of 10. The look of it was a 10 but the story was a bit light and predictable. I think it was modeled after a Spaghetti Western. Nick Nolte voiced a character named Kuiil and the Taika Waititi voiced the drone. All in all pretty good.
    PS: The ending of the first episode was very interesting......also if someone can explain what happend in the Mandalorian temple, I'm confused as to what the priest was saying..

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 14.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 71.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Hardware
    Pinball Haus
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Top-Notch Target Shields
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 149.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 29.90
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Haus
    $ 279.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 149.99
    Lighting - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 123.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 12.75
    $ 159.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 9.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 23.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    € 60.00
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    There are 3752 posts in this topic. You are on page 75 of 76.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside