Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,238 posts
  • 311 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by HoakyPoaky
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi was...”

• garbage, the worst of the main films 243 votes
      34%
    • decent, better than the prequels 251 votes
      35%
    • really good, on par with the originals 80 votes
      11%
    • great! one of the best 80 votes
      11%
    • who cares, star wars sucks 55 votes
      8%

(709 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

scioli (resized).jpg
    ss1-trapped (resized).jpg
    fantastic_four_1961_48_3 (resized).jpg
    d0c0aa785c9ed124 (resized).jpeg
    b881ebbaf721aff4 (resized).jpeg
    1 (56) (resized).JPG
    the-acolyte-databank-feature-article-feature_536e2878 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1dd86362581cee58daeaeaef82eb6037 (resized).jpg
    the-acolyte-teaser-poster_506fd466 (resized).jpeg
    1 (resized).jpg
    2 (resized).jpg
    3 (resized).jpg
    6aw3vw8uep501 (resized).jpg
    GGtWnNMWMAAWx0I (resized).png
    nickcole1 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,238 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 125.
    #3651 4 years ago

3P0 "Taking one last look sir, Disney has killed most of my friends" lol

Overall when I watched the final Episode 9 trailer I felt nothing. I don't care about any of the new characters, the original characters (the ones that are left) seem forced in at this point. As the Emperor said in the last trailer "Your journey...nears it end". Thank God!

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#3652 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yes. "Taking one last look sir, at my friends. Well mainly you R2, the rest of you I just met like an hour and a half ago, back when I had a red arm. Laterz! Snap my brain now! Erase my memory."

#3653 4 years ago

My kids and I enjoyed TLJ for the most part. The past prequels have lowered my expectations so guess I am easily entertained. Still, I have no idea what they are trying to do with the new trilogy. It just seems like they are trying to fill the screen with as much Star Wars-ness as possible. You could watch the movies out of order and I don't think it would matter. The new trailer does not help. More of the same. Lots of people running around with serious faces, spaceships blasting off, lightsabers for days, and horses?

#3654 4 years ago

At least we have a strong female lead, so story or theme be damned.

#3655 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

At least we have a strong female lead, so story or theme be damned.

We had the beginnings of a strong female lead for about half of TFA. Since then she has been the ultimate Mary Sue and an embarrassment to strong female leads. She is literally the pretty girl that doesn't have to put in any work or effort and everything just magically goes her way. She is even swooning for the bad guy, it could not be a more laughable stereotype.

#3656 4 years ago

wow that trailer was bad, no way this isnt a train wreck of a movie

#3657 4 years ago

Worst trailer ever... I secretly was hoping to be proven wrong; but no it's complete pile of shit!!! I'm not going to see this one I'll wait till its streaming.

#3658 4 years ago

It's weird to go in expecting not much of anything, and yet still find yourself disappointed.

So the checklist thus far goes...

Forgettable flimsy villains.
    Lead characters sans character or screen presence.
    No new interesting tech, ship design or planetary cultures.
    No dramatic sequences that resulted in anything more than an embarrassed giggle.
    Neutering of Luke's redemption of his Father's journey via Palpatine still hiding in a dark space closet somewhere...down a hill, at the bottom of a cave, sippin' brews with Gollum.

But....geriatric Lando is here!

And even John Williams' seems lost, not present in this series.

Looks like Disney has definitely done some....work....here. Ugh.

Sadly, I don't even know if I can support this on opening night any longer. Not enough booze to see me through it, and my heart feels a bit broken over this mass destruction of what once seemed like fun fantasy, in a galaxy, far, far, away.

#3659 4 years ago

Best franchise ever!! And Disney has successfully ruined it!! RIP Stawars.

#3660 4 years ago

I really can’t tell what’s going on on the trailer, final battle between First Order and the Alliance? Final battle between Kylo and Rey? Final battle between Luke and Emperor? But the Alliance is shattered and down to like 20 fighters. If it’s a final battle between Kylo and Rey with Kylo being the last Skywalker how’s that fit in with the title? Luke is supposedly dead so is he going to ghost fight the emperor? They’ve really painted themselves into a corner.

#3661 4 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

I really can’t tell what’s going on on the trailer, final battle between First Order and the Alliance? Final battle between Kylo and Rey? Final battle between Luke and Emperor? But the Alliance is shattered and down to like 20 fighters. If it’s a final battle between Kylo and Rey with Kylo being the last Skywalker how’s that fit in with the title? Luke is supposedly dead so is he going to ghost fight the emperor? They’ve really painted themselves into a corner.

From the Emperor's dialog, I'm guessing JJ is finally going full trope in, and having them fight together as siblings, after the Emperor felt he'd planned them being his apprentices all along, with Ren turning Rey inevitably.

How fun, huh?

Can't believe those two might be twins, one letter in their names apart and all. So many surprises!!!

And yes, let's finally kill 3P0 while we're at it.

Lando=Last OT character standing. Colt45 kept him alive! (Chant it everyone!!!)

Crazy that, or thankful that Kenobi has been sacrosanct or that they just needed another movie to shit all over his image also. I kinda rank the prior films for important characters as:

1. Vader. 2. Luke. 3. Palpatine/Emperor. 4. Kenobi. 5. Yoda

Thank god good ole Ben, other than via first name, wasn't raped for nostalgia.

#3662 4 years ago

They are calling this the end of the greatest sage ever. That's an insult that reaches beyond a normal thinking person's caliber. End of what? Did the TFA or TLJ ever come close to continuing (let alone equalling) the original trilogy? The working print of ANH was better than either of these, hell the SW Christmas special at least had some interesting concepts.

#3663 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Overall when I watched the final Episode 9 trailer I felt nothing. I don't care about any of the new characters, the original characters (the ones that are left) seem forced in at this point. As the Emperor said in the last trailer "Your journey...nears it end". Thank God!
    [quoted image]

Quoted from Friengineer:

Yes. "Taking one last look sir, at my friends. Well mainly you R2, the rest of you I just met like an hour and a half ago, back when I had a red arm. Laterz! Snap my brain now! Erase my memory."

The only thing that really got to me was the scene with C3PO. I found that clip kinda sad, and I'm hoping Disney plays up this aspect of the movie. Look at it from C3PO's perspective. His closest companions (Luke, Leia & Han) are all dead. All he has left is his old friend R2D2. Things have changed & this looks like the end. Apparently the stakes are so high for this movie, that everyone is steeping up to do their part. It seems that C3PO is willing to have his mind wiped & his protocol programming removed so he can be upgraded into a war droid to join the fight. What else does he have left to lose? This may not be what happens, but that's my guess. I'm curious how that would play out.

They would be right to make the stakes incredibly high for all the old characters (R2D2, Lando, Chewy), because that's the only thing that's going to effect a viewer like me. I could care less if Fynn, Poe & all the rest die. But if R2D2 gets blown up, or if Chewy/Lando take the Falcon on a kamikaze flight into the Emperor's throne room, it's going to have a major impact on the audience. I hope they go that route. Go for broke. Forget the happy endings. Quite frankly seeing the Emperor back on screen with his Sith Army (no matter how implausible that is) will be pretty cool to see IMO.

But last I heard they tried 6 different endings in the editing room & had to go back for more reshoots because nobody was happy with the final result. I think it's going to be a Game of Thrones scenario where nobody is satisfied how they wrap this up. If they are truly serious about ending the skywalker saga, then kill most the characters off. They can start with Rose Tico in the first 5 minutes.

#3664 4 years ago

It's also clearly obvious to me that Rey is going to redeem Kylo at some point & turn him back to the light by the end of the movie. Them smashing the Shrine of Vader in the trailer (Oh the humanity!!!) makes that clear.

Plus the Emperor saying "Long have I waited, and now your coming together is your undoing". Is he referring to the galaxy coming together to stop him, or specifically speaking to Rey & Kylo? In any case, I don't see Kylo being alive by the end of this movie either.

These trailers haven't revealed much of anything at all as far as plot points go. That's a good thing IMO. Who knows where it will go or what surprises are in store. I'm still betting on Hayden Christensen, Ewan McGregor & Liam Neeson all making a secret appearance.

#3665 4 years ago

It still baffles me if this "Emperor's return" story was the focus from the onset of Episode 7, they why didn't they explore these ideas or offer hints in Episode 7 & 8? Episode 8 is such a WASTE of a film. Now you're cramming what Episode 8 & 9 should have been into one movie.

While the Emperor's return could have been a well explored idea over 3 films, now it just feels like an epic afterthought idea to correct past mistakes & win back the fans. Whatever the final result is, most will look back years from now & agree that this entire trilogy was a poorly handled squandered opportunity. It's would be nice to be completely wrong on this.

Here's another random thought.... if the Emperor is actually able to cheat death like he teased in Episode 3 & rise from the dead, then what's to stop him from raising Vader or Darth Maul's spirits from the dead as well? If you're jumping this shark, might as well go for broke. And since Rey can do anything, why can't she raise Luke, Yoda & Obiwan from the dead too? I can almost hear JJ talking the writers into this shit. This is the nonsense I'm expecting for this one. JJ's already said Fuck it, so anything is possible. Who wants to bet that Rey raises something from the dead?

Plus Emperor always said to Vader "Luke Skywalker will become more powerful than either one of us". So if the Emperor can rise from the dead, WTF is Luke ghost going to pull off in Episode 9?

#3666 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

While the Emperor's return could have been a well explored idea over 3 films

or the emperor could have stayed dead. Here's how to properly setup movie three. In the the thrown room scene from TLJ, Snoke tells Rey he connected Kyle & Rey's minds to see who was stronger & seeing how Rey's power is unlimited, Snoke has decided to rid himself of the worthless Kylo Ren & take Rey as his apprentice. Snoke says he was a loyalist to the emperor/vader & was trained in the Sith ways by the emperor when he saw weakness in Vader. As a sort of contingency. Snoke then says he knows who Rey's parents are & he will show her the one true path!

She agrees to go with Snoke. Snoke orders the palace guards to kill Kylo while Rey watches. Just as the fight is about to begin, the elevator doors opens & Luke Skywalker makes a bad ass entrance. Luke & Kylo Lightsaber duel the guards, Rey & Snoke, only to be pushed back. Luke & Kylo together escape thus redeeming Luke's failure as Kylo's master & Kylo begins his journey back to the light.

Snoke & Rey escape. Hux is dispatched to destroy the rebels on salt world. Luke & Kylo show up to save the day but not before Rose sacrifices herself to stop the drill-laser-thing. Everyone is like WTF Kylo's here, where is Rey.

With their resources depleted, the resistance with Luke, Kylo, Leia, Chewy, Porgs, Poe, & Finn decide to save the galaxy, one last time & Rey (who turns out to be palpatine's clone or luke's clone or a junker's daughter, or whatever).

Movie Three. Boom.

#3667 4 years ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

or the emperor could have stayed dead. Here's how to properly setup movie three. In the the thrown room scene from TLJ, Snoke tells Rey he connected Kyle & Rey's minds to see who was stronger & seeing how Rey's power is unlimited, Snoke has decided to rid himself of the worthless Kylo Ren & take Rey as his apprentice. Snoke says he was a loyalist to the emperor/vader & was trained in the Sith ways by the emperor when he saw weakness in Vader. As a sort of contingency. Snoke then says he knows who Rey's parents are & he will show her the one true path!
    She agrees to go with Snoke. Snoke orders the palace guards to kill Kylo while Rey watches. Just as the fight is about to begin, the elevator doors opens & Luke Skywalker makes a bad ass entrance. Luke & Kylo Lightsaber duel the guards, Rey & Snoke, only to be pushed back. Luke & Kylo together escape thus redeeming Luke's failure as Kylo's master & Kylo begins his journey back to the light.
    Snoke & Rey escape. Hux is dispatched to destroy the rebels on salt world. Luke & Kylo show up to save the day but not before Rose sacrifices herself to stop the drill-laser-thing. Everyone is like WTF Kylo's here, where is Rey.
    With their resources depleted, the resistance with Luke, Kylo, Leia, Chewy, Porgs, Poe, & Finn decide to save the galaxy, one last time & Rey (who turns out to be palpatine's clone or luke's clone or a junker's daughter, or whatever).
    Movie Three. Boom.

No offense but that sounds pretty awful. haha. No way Rey is ever going to turn evil. Too many Rey toys sold to little girls everywhere.

I still say Thrawn trilogy should have been loosely adapted, and combined with the Emperors return to face old man Luke in a final battle to end the series. Luke, Han & Leia's kids would have been minor characters, but torch passes to them at end of Episode 9 for Episode 10 & beyond. Why spend $4B on a franchise & then decide to end it? So poorly thought out.

I'm guessing the next trilogy will take place hundred of years or more in the future, where the religion of "Skywalker" is followed. Hence the why Episode 9 is called the Rise of Skywalker....not a person but a philosophy.

#3668 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I'm guessing the next trilogy will take place hundred of years or more in the future, where the religion of "Skywalker" is followed. Hence the why Episode 9 is called the Rise of Skywalker....not a person but a philosophy.

and I think that sounds like a fine way to start out the next trilogy. Maybe that's the perspective I'm missing. I was assuming Disney's plan was to produce movies with quality plots & thought out story arcs. But what you are saying is it's really all about selling toys.

#3670 4 years ago

These are the projects to look forward to now. The extended TV format will allow them to really expand & dive into these stories. Mandalorian can't get here fast enough.

And if McGregor agreed to play Obiwan back in 2015 & kept that a secret, that strengthens the odds that he'll make some kind of appearance in Episode 9 too. They did have him say a line in Episode 7. I think his performances are the best thing about the prequels. Looking forward to the TV series

#3671 4 years ago

good summary from the man himself!

#3672 4 years ago

Hmm, that could be interesting if it is well made and has a strong plot. I’ll check it out for sure.

Gosh, I am a sucker...

#3673 4 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

That's funnier than shit.

#3674 4 years ago

You haters gonna hate but episode 9 will break all kinds of records.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbr.com/star-wars-rise-of-skywalker-boycott-presales-empty-threat/amp/
    881F6808-527C-464E-BCEB-E8145B3FE269 (resized).jpeg881F6808-527C-464E-BCEB-E8145B3FE269 (resized).jpeg

#3675 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbr.com/star-wars-rise-of-skywalker-boycott-presales-empty-threat/amp/
    [quoted image]

Yeah ok..... and 24 hrs presale ticket sales for $300M+ Solo were twice the amount of $1.3B Black Panther. How'd that work out? Presale ticket numbers are the new hype machine of movie studios. And by the way, who cares? Numbers can be spun & is not an indicator of the theatrical success of a movie.

And of course fans are buying tickets. It's the finale of a 9 part epic. All that boycott talk is silly internet blogger nonsense. It was never going to happen. That said, I've got my ticket for Friday. Just one ticket for opening weekend. Let's see if it's any good before I throw down to see it again.

Quoted from TigerLaw:

Gosh, I am a sucker...

No need to feel guilty about your love for Star Wars. I think of these new trilogy movies like an old girlfriend from a long relationship that dumped you. If I let my guard down & let Star Wars back in, I just know it's going to break my heart once again & I'm going to feel stupid. How did I fall for this again? I will never get over my love for Star Wars. We're all in the same boat here.

The Mandalorian is another story. That series is not going to let the fans down.

#3676 4 years ago

Disney has a lot of tricks to get the box office high like mandatory largest theater for x many weeks. But likely this will be an event like End Game.

Please don’t think this will relate in any way to Solo. It’s likely to surpass Solo in the first week or less.

#3677 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

And of course fans are buying tickets. It's the finale of a 9 part epic. All that boycott talk is silly internet blogger nonsense.

We are like that stoopid bug in A Bug's Life that looks into the bug zapper and dies! We know Star Wars is dead, we know there is no concentrated plot, we know the movie will most likely be a bad movie, & yet we line up to buy tickets all the same. Disney knows! They know they can produce anything & us sheep people will come out to view it.

Oh Disney Gods! I will continue to buy tickets to these shitty movies, just give us Tron 3!

#3678 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

[quoted image]

I don't know anyone calling for an organized boycott, but maybe they are out there. I just know a lot of disappointed fans that have lost faith in Disney for some time now. There is a terrible irony that the company that transformed modern media and the world through sheer "imagination" should have resorted to buying existing franchises and settling for reboots, sequels, or repackaging the same old material over and over.

The test for the new Star Wars movie will be how much money it earns after it has been out for a month. Does anyone go to see it more than once? Or tell their friends they need to go see it? I am expecting another 1.5 billion dollar flash in the pan. If its something good, it should double that. Star Wars is the biggest franchise in movie history with the biggest and most devoted fanbase ever. If they give us something good, people will go see it at midnight, and over and over. We can hope, but Walt is dead in every way he can be, IMO.

#3679 4 years ago

Yeah, the boycott was just out of frustration...if it's good it will make a lot of money, if it's bullshit (it is JJ after all) then it will top out just short of a billion I'm guessing. It's still a lot...but there is a lot a foot, dwindling toy sales, the SW Disney park attraction visitors have been declining, backlash..etc. I dunno it's not a sure thing. Also if the Mandorian is coming on Nov, it may scratch the itch of needing to see a SW ep at the theater.

#3680 4 years ago

Star Wars is NOT dead. Cannot wait for this

#3681 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Saw this on MNF, and it still looks manufactured, not earnest to me, like all Disney products. Even with my main man Herzog!!

I'll still give it a chance, but anything Disney touches, never feels genuine at this point to me....

#3682 4 years ago

Is that Q'orianka Kilcher, by the way? From the New World?

#3683 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

This is definitely the Star Wars we were looking for...

This article sums it up well..

To put that in perspective, I would rather binge entire seasons of an English baking show than sit through a $300 million sequel to my favorite childhood movie.

It’s not only that I don’t care one whit about the plot, it’s that I don’t care one whit about the characters either.

Instead of the emperor, we have Snoke. Instead of Vader, we have Kylo. Instead of Luke, we have Rey. Instead of Han, we get both Finn and Poe. Instead of Yoda, we get Luke. Instead of R2-D2, we get BB-8. So on and so on.

Not one of the stand-ins, many of them portrayed by talented actors, are nearly as compelling as the originals, many of whom were portrayed by terrible actors.

These failures might be forgivable if the space opera made any sense. Instead, we are left to watch characters spin their hyperdrives while J.J. Abrams performs a mercy killing of one original character per movie.

May they rest in peace.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/force-gone-why-i-dont-have-new-hope-%E2%80%9C-rise-skywalker%E2%80%9D-91626

#3684 4 years ago

https://deadline.com/2019/10/star-wars-setback-game-of-thrones-duo-david-benioff-d-b-weiss-exit-trilogy-1202771184/amp/

What a couple of hacks. First they fubar GOT season 8 so they can move on to SW, now they're quitting. I could go the rest of my life without seeing these two idiots names again.

#3685 4 years ago
    Quoted from BillySastard:

https://deadline.com/2019/10/star-wars-setback-game-of-thrones-duo-david-benioff-d-b-weiss-exit-trilogy-1202771184/amp/
    What a couple of hacks. First they fubar GOT season 8 so they can move on to SW, now they're quitting. I could go the rest of my life without seeing these two idiots names again.

I'm with ya. It's probably for the best as we saw how GOT turned out once they ran out of G.R.R Martin's source material...I don't think the odds were good that they could make a made from scratch Star Wars trilogy.

Still sounds like Rian Johnson's new Star Wars films are in the works...

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2483034/dont-worry-rian-johnson-is-still-working-on-his-star-wars-movies

#3686 4 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

It's crazy how much of a different vibe that trailer has then Episodes 7-9. The Mandalorian seems to have the look and feel of the original trilogy and Rogue One. I'm way more excited for The Mandalorian and Obi-Wan series then any new Star Wars film at this point.

#3687 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'm with ya. It's probably for the best as we saw how GOT turned out once they ran out of G.R.R Martin's source material...

Rushing the last season didn't help. They could have easily split the last season into two. I think everyone involved with the show was ready to move on.

#3688 4 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

OMG the best post in this thread.

Lucas is a maniac and he still thinks the prequels are good movies. But at least we agree on this last saga.

#3689 4 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

TIt’s not only that I don’t care one whit about the plot, it’s that I don’t care one whit about the characters either.
    Instead of the emperor, we have Snoke. Instead of Vader, we have Kylo. Instead of Luke, we have Rey. Instead of Han, we get both Finn and Poe. Instead of Yoda, we get Luke. Instead of R2-D2, we get BB-8. So on and so on.
    Not one of the stand-ins, many of them portrayed by talented actors, are nearly as compelling as the originals, many of whom were portrayed by terrible actors.

I'm struggling to think of any movie franchise that has come back 20 years+ after it's predecessor and been as good or better...

Compared to the constraints of a 2 hour movie, I much prefer to watch a season of 6 to 10+ episodes of "prime" television like GOT or Westworld. I have high hopes for the new Disney streaming service, and for upcoming releases on HBO (Watchmen, His Dark Materials) and Amazon (Lord of the Rings).

With this caliber of entertainment, I'm fine with waiting for the few movies I do want to see to end up at Redbox or on streaming rental sites. There are few movies (except Star Wars) that I actually want to see as soon as they hit the theater.

Let's see: HBO, Amazon Prime and Hulu/Disney <= $50/month or 1 to 2 nights at the theater.

Does anyone still use Netflix? They've lost so much good content, and their originals really aren't that exciting. Nowadays you pay for the original content, and the movies are just filler you browse through for 30 minutes before deciding you'd rather just go to bed early.

If you're not heavily into watching sports, all you need is a HDTV antenna for local channels, fast internet and a few streaming channels (which you can rotate between as you wish).

I'm not even sure why they're making movies for theaters any more? Want to go out to see entertainment? Go see a play!

#3690 4 years ago
    Quoted from okayestpinballer:

I'm struggling to think of any movie franchise that has come back 20 years+ after it's predecessor and been as good or better...
    Compared to the constraints of a 2 hour movie, I much prefer to watch a season of 6 to 10+ episodes of "prime" television like GOT or Westworld. I have high hopes for the new Disney streaming service, and for upcoming releases on HBO (Watchmen, His Dark Materials) and Amazon (Lord of the Rings).
    With this caliber of entertainment, I'm fine with waiting for the few movies I do want to see to end up at Redbox or on streaming rental sites. There are few movies (except Star Wars) that I actually want to see as soon as they hit the theater.
    Let's see: HBO, Amazon Prime and Hulu/Disney &lt;= $50/month or 1 to 2 nights at the theater.
    Does anyone still use Netflix? They've lost so much good content, and their originals really aren't that exciting. Nowadays you pay for the original content, and the movies are just filler you browse through for 30 minutes before deciding you'd rather just go to bed early.
    If you're not heavily into watching sports, all you need is a HDTV antenna for local channels, fast internet and a few streaming channels (which you can rotate between as you wish).
    I'm not even sure why they're making movies for theaters any more? Want to go out to see entertainment? Go see a play!

I've wondered that same thing about theaters, but I've come to the conclusion on why it hasn't transitioned...food. There are tons of people who go to the theater #1 for food and #2 for the movie. I personally don't care at all, but a large majority of the people I know who go to movies wouldn't go unless they were able to get all the food stuff.

#3691 4 years ago

I still use Netflix. Good content to me. But I’m also watching older network shows on Netflix and get one DVD at time in the mail because they have hundred thousand movies or so and I find movies can’t get anywhere else.

I am less going to theater maybe 5-6 times a year.

I’m going to see SW 9 but not on opening weekend.

#3692 4 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

I've wondered that same thing about theaters, but I've come to the conclusion on why it hasn't transitioned...food. There are tons of people who go to the theater #1 for food and #2 for the movie. I personally don't care at all, but a large majority of the people I know who go to movies wouldn't go unless they were able to get all the food stuff.

really? like $10 popcorn and $8 cokes? or $5 candy bars? im not sure I know of a theater that has good food? unless your saying its like an evening out on the town and hit up dinner before the movie?

#3693 4 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

really? like $10 popcorn and $8 cokes? or $5 candy bars? im not sure I know of a theater that has good food? unless your saying its like an evening out on the town and hit up dinner before the movie?

LOL, yeah I don't know about that!?

Many theaters by me offer pretty decent "lunch/dinner" food (burgers, pizza, salad) at prices comparable to a cheaper sit-down restaurant like "Apple Bees" .

https://www.marcustheatres.com/theatre-dining/menus/big-screen-bistro

#3695 4 years ago

not disney/marvel but HBO is not going foward with a GOT prequel spinoff

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/10/29/game-of-thrones-prequel-series-with-naomi-watts-is-dead

#3696 4 years ago

I can only imagine how different the current trilogy might have been under a Jon Favreau. For starters it might have had a story arc that lasted all three films

Also, thank you Jon for casting Bill freaking Burr!!
    BillBurr-720x405 (resized).pngBillBurr-720x405 (resized).png

#3697 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It's crazy how much of a different vibe that trailer has then Episodes 7-9. The Mandalorian seems to have the look and feel of the original trilogy and Rogue One. I'm way more excited for The Mandalorian and Obi-Wan series then any new Star Wars film at this point.

Quoted from Underspin:

I can only imagine how different the current trilogy might have been under a Jon Favreau.

The common thread with all these great Star Wars projects is Dave Filoni, who has been the director of animation at Lucasfilm for 10+ years. He's helping write & produce the Mandalorian, along with The Clone Wars. If Disney would smart, they would just make him the next president of Lucasfilm. He's the only one there who gets it & they let him do his own thing. I suppose I'm biased because we went to college together. I've always wanted to meet him & ask him about that.

The news about the GOT producers leaving isn't good IMO. That essentially kills the Old Republic project they were working on. Now they have movie slots in 2022, 2024 & 2026 to fill with no plan to move forward. Perhaps they expect Kevin Fiege to come in & work his Marvel magic on Star Wars? Would Kennedy actually let Rian Johnson actually make his trilogy now that they are in a pinch? The movies are such a mess right now. TV series is where it's at.

#3698 4 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

This article sums it up well..
    To put that in perspective, I would rather binge entire seasons of an English baking show than sit through a $300 million sequel to my favorite childhood movie.
    It’s not only that I don’t care one whit about the plot, it’s that I don’t care one whit about the characters either.
    These failures might be forgivable if the space opera made any sense. Instead, we are left to watch characters spin their hyperdrives while J.J. Abrams performs a mercy killing of one original character per movie.
    May they rest in peace.
    https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/force-gone-why-i-dont-have-new-hope-%E2%80%9C-rise-skywalker%E2%80%9D-91626

It's almost like I wrote that article myself. I'd say the majority of older fans feel exactly the same way.

#3699 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

The news about the GOT producers leaving isn't good IMO. That essentially kills the Old Republic project they were working on

I read that they were fired....I don't think it was a contentious issue, I think Lucasfilm wanted a time line and they couldn't deliver when they're on the hook with Netflix. Also, I'm sure the money from Disney is chicken shit compared to the 200 mil they got from Netflix.

EDIT: Hopefully all of this chaos is pointing towards Kevin taking over, he's getting rid of the dumb deals Kennedy has made. I bet you, if he's in charge the next trilogy will be the Thrawn trilogy.

#3700 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

It's almost like I wrote that article myself. I'd say the majority of older fans feel exactly the same way.

I wish I felt differently, but for me Disney has either effectively damaged the brand with overexposure and creatively barren projects, or at best with projects like Rogue One, Mandalorian or a McGregor led Obi Wan series, created properties that are fueled entirely/solely on nostalgia.

I don't necessarily feel even in the most creative and sincere hands, Star Wars can ever rekindle film work that feels anything more than a brand based cash in. The last thing that felt authentic to world building for me, the Prequels, were and still are largely bashed by fans from all folds.

I'd say I'm jaded, but I feel my lack of excitement at anything down the road feels based from a combo of brand weariness, and Lucas having zero or minimal sourcing for these projects. Not that things can't evolve without him, but I still can't sit myself down and even watch Filoni's work, which is arguably the most realized and exciting.

There are 6,238 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 125.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spoilers-star-wars-the-last-jedi-is-really-bad-spoilers/page/74 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.