Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,232 posts
  • 311 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 25 hours ago by acedanger
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi was...”

• garbage, the worst of the main films 243 votes
      34%
    • decent, better than the prequels 251 votes
      35%
    • really good, on par with the originals 80 votes
      11%
    • great! one of the best 80 votes
      11%
    • who cares, star wars sucks 55 votes
      8%

(709 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ss1-trapped (resized).jpg
    fantastic_four_1961_48_3 (resized).jpg
    d0c0aa785c9ed124 (resized).jpeg
    b881ebbaf721aff4 (resized).jpeg
    1 (56) (resized).JPG
    the-acolyte-databank-feature-article-feature_536e2878 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1dd86362581cee58daeaeaef82eb6037 (resized).jpg
    the-acolyte-teaser-poster_506fd466 (resized).jpeg
    1 (resized).jpg
    2 (resized).jpg
    3 (resized).jpg
    6aw3vw8uep501 (resized).jpg
    GGtWnNMWMAAWx0I (resized).png
    nickcole1 (resized).png
    d4109923eb01c73d (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,232 posts in this topic. You are on page 73 of 125.
    #3601 4 years ago

It's complete B.S that Disney moved so fast with Episodes 7-9 because they wanted to satisfy the fans. Nice excuse Disney. No, Disney wanted to recoup the billions they gave George Lucas as quickly as possible. Instead of spending an extra year planning the new trilogy with ensuring the same director directed all 3, and planning out the start, middle, and end of the story Disney created a mess of a new trilogy that is downright dull at this point.

Who are Rey's parents? Who will Kylo Ren side with? Who cares! lol

#3602 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I loved seeing Grand Moff Tarkin on screen again. One of the highlights of the film for me.
    And I said the same thing when I saw what Filoni & Favreau are doing with The Mandalorian. Same thing. They get it too. Making great Star Wars content is not difficult. Just give the fans what they want.

Let's compare this to TFA and TLJ.....just for fun....which looks more ridiculous?

I debated weather to put this scene or Han Solo trying Chewie's crossbow for the first time in 30 yrs.

https://www.starwars.com/video/tell-us-where-the-base-is

and this gem set the whole tone for the rest of the movie for me..

#3604 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It's complete B.S that Disney moved so fast with Episodes 7-9 because they wanted to satisfy the fans.

FWIW its not the speed they moved, its the complete lack of a plan, and what little plan there was sucked ass so far.

I mean come on, the bare minimum they should be able to do in this modern "franchise" era is plan out the plot of the three movies before betting the farm. Making stuff up as you go along is more fun though I guess.

#3605 4 years ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

FWIW its not the speed they moved, its the complete lack of a plan, and what little plan there was sucked ass so far.
    I mean come on, the bare minimum they should be able to do in this modern "franchise" era is plan out the plot of the three movies before betting the farm. Making stuff up as you go along is more fun though I guess.

The "vision" of the studio or director is never questioned. It's always the audience didn't understand it, or they moved to fast, or Russian bots, or some other buillshit reason.

It's never blamed on what it really is: a bunch of hacks who have no vision nor understand the ability to communicate a narrative that is interesting, without adding in their own ideologies and prejudices. Yeah, Lucas lost his way at the end, but he knew how to tell a story, build a new world, and make it a part of people's lives for decades.

#3606 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

The "vision" of the studio or director is never questioned. It's always the audience didn't understand it, or they moved to fast, or Russian bots, or some other buillshit reason.
    It's never blamed on what it really is: a bunch of hacks who have no vision nor understand the ability to communicate a narrative that is interesting, without adding in their own ideologies and prejudices. Yeah, Lucas lost his way at the end, but he knew how to tell a story, build a new world, and make it a part of people's lives for decades.

I hear ya there. The prequel films actually seem better now after watching TFA and TLJ. Lucas created a huge world dominated by the Jedi, governments, and gangsters for the prequel trilogy while the world in the new trilogy feel's small and dull.

#3610 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

This doesn't bother me a bit, she's hot.

Meh
    Spidey has a better butt

6603212-kkyhjl4th5krhkjlocmydbqyfblvm1lwav6mz35wdbs (resized).jpg6603212-kkyhjl4th5krhkjlocmydbqyfblvm1lwav6mz35wdbs (resized).jpg
    #3611 4 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Meh
    Spidey has a better butt [quoted image]

Yikes, she's flat as a pancake. Lol, maybe she can use her powers to fix that.

#3612 4 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Spidey has a better butt

Looks like Flanders.
    Tapped_Out_Stupid_Sexy_Flanders (resized).pngTapped_Out_Stupid_Sexy_Flanders (resized).png

#3613 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

This doesn't bother me a bit, she's hot.

Not.

#3614 4 years ago

Don't worry, the rise of skywalker will "Will Reveal How Strong The Force Is"

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/10/02/star-wars-rise-of-skywalker-will-reveal-how-strong-the-force-is

#3615 4 years ago

I recently dove down deeply into the redit "leaks" for the ROS & I have to say if the "leaks" are real then this movie is going to be dog shit bad. Like the worst one of them all bad. Sounds like a whole bunch of searching for lost artifacts, then stupidity, then finding the emperor still alive, then more stupidity. Insert light saber battles & the Knight who say ni, and Lando's old ass.

#3616 4 years ago

How can Rey become the spiritual heir to the Jedi? We kept coming back to ‘Who is Rey?’, and how can we give the most satisfying answer to that not only factually – because obviously people are interested in whether there's more to be learned of Rey's story – but more importantly who is she as a character?

Are these not the kind of things that you'd normally have ironed out before filming the first scene of the first movie in your new trilogy?

#3617 4 years ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

I recently dove down deeply into the redit "leaks" for the ROS & I have to say if the "leaks" are real then this movie is going to be dog shit bad. Like the worst one of them all bad. Sounds like a whole bunch of searching for lost artifacts, then stupidity, then finding the emperor still alive, then more stupidity. Insert light saber battles & the Knight who say ni, and Lando's old ass.

Well pardon me.....but if it's true that the Knights Who Say Ni make an appearance, and they have C3P0 & friends search to find a shrubbery, then this movie has serious potential. haha

#3618 4 years ago

I was skeptical when I read some of those crazy theories, because I thought they couldn't possibly jump the shark that bad. But now I'm pretty sold on the literal interpretation of the title. If the Emperor has the power to come back from the dead, then so will Luke. Hence the Rise of Skywalker. But I don't think that money shot is going to come until the end of the movie.

I think when things are at their bleakest at the end of the film for the main characters, Luke's ghost will wield all the power of the force & he will literally rise from the dead to save the day. He will be the most powerful force user of all time. He will wipe out the Emperor, the sith, the first order, force ghosts, the jedi....all of it gone. After 9 movies, balance finally achieved & all prophecies fulfilled. Thanks Luke.

Remember in ROTJ, the Emperor said "Luke Skywalker will become more powerful than any one of us. I have foreseen it." And JJ is on the record that the end of this movie will blow everyone's mind.

Will it be cool? Will it be believable? Will it be a laugh rot of stupidity? Probably a mix of all three. We'll have to see. All I really ever wanted to see was Luke pulling Star Destroyers from orbit with the force & smashing them to oblivion. At least give the fans that. If it's Rey in the supreme force user role, I'll impale myself on my lightsaber.

#3619 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Well pardon me.....but if it's true that the Knights Who Say Ni make an appearance, and they have C3P0 & friends search to find a shrubbery, then this movie has serious potential. haha

Stop! What is your name? (Kylo Ren) What is your quest? (To make my grandfather proud) What is your favorite color? (Red. No Bla- Auuuuuuuuugh!)

#3620 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I was skeptical when I read some of those crazy theories, because I thought they couldn't possibly jump the shark that bad. But now I'm pretty sold on the literal interpretation of the title.

Meh, they had a bunch of early release "spoilers" and alleged things seen on set for the last one, and they turned out to all be BS. I remember their were promises of a huge jedi battle on the planet Luke was on with him and Rey fighting all the Knights of Ren with a bunch of CGI and other things... None of it came to be.

#3621 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Will it be cool? Will it be believable? Will it be a laugh rot of stupidity? Probably a mix of all three. We'll have to see. All I really ever wanted to see was Luke pulling Star Destroyers from orbit with the force & smashing them to oblivion. At least give the fans that. If it's Rey in the supreme force user role, I'll impale myself on my lightsaber.

I betting this thing will leave you shaking your head As far as I'm concerned they've already jumped the shark, this is them backing up trying to get back on the ramp. But think about it, can they ever put this broke ass Humpty Dumpty together where people like us will either respect it or believe it? I don't think they can, too much bad material to erase....I think they're going to throw the kitchen sink at us, bring back the Emperor, Luke, Lando, and I'm betting even Yoda will make an appearance. It will be a thin plot with bad jokes......but will it make money is the real question. I'm thinking it will....undeservedly so.

#3622 4 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

I betting this thing will leave you shaking your head As far as I'm concerned they've already jumped the shark, this is them backing up trying to get back on the ramp. But think about it, can they ever put this broke ass Humpty Dumpty together where people like us will either respect it or believe it? I don't think they can, too much bad material to erase....I think they're going to throw the kitchen sink at us, bring back the Emperor, Luke, Lando, and I'm betting even Yoda will make an appearance. It will be a thin plot with bad jokes......but will it make money is the real question. I'm thinking it will....undeservedly so.

Looking back at this entire "trilogy ", it's ashame it's had any financial success.

Two years ago, I remember going out Thursday night....to Toys R Us....for Force Friday, and feeling so damn removed from the entire experience. Two years later, and I can't believe how this toy lineup got even less exciting. I remember when TPM hit, and WOW the elation. Two decades and Disney later, and "please.......make this stop!"

#3623 4 years ago

Star wars isn't an event anymore, unfortunately. It's become just another franchise.

#3624 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

Looking back at this entire "trilogy ", it's ashame it's had any financial success.
    Two years ago, I remember going out Thursday night....to Toys R Us....for Force Friday, and feeling so damn removed from the entire experience. Two years later, and I can't believe how this toy lineup got even less exciting. I remember when TPM hit, and WOW the elation. Two decades and Disney later, and "please.......make this stop!"

It's all about the story and the characters I think, they just ported characters from any generic action film and dropped them in....that on top of no epic backstory to set them up just leaves you less invested in them. For me having Luke standing on the edge of the dune staring in the distance with the twin suns setting behind him telegraphed he was a young man who thought he could be more than just a farmer. Then the story expands with Ben telling him about the mythical Jedis just foreshadowed the hero's journey. With TFA and TLJ they made them heroes first and then bigger heroes later...(lesser so with Finn). Even the blue hair lady was like boom I'm a bad ass....no back story with any of them, Kylo, Finn, even the main character.

Now, think about why are they bringing the Emperor back, where is the story for it, he's not needed...this is just lazy writing. They needed a baddie so they're bringing him back just like that. WTF! I think it would've made more sense to bring back Darth Maul.

#3626 4 years ago

(Sarcasm ahead)

Love to know why everything has to be a trilogy. I seem to recall George Lucas had a ton of material he wanted to convey, but truncated pending the success of the first.
    If these new hacks have no direct plan and need to creatively brainstorm, why a trilogy?

Hopefully we get some spin off stories Im dying to see. Anything less than 3 star wars movies per year would be an absolute tragedy.

How Chewie got his crossbow and bandolier!

The origins of R2D2’s voice programming featuring a culturally diverse cast.

CGI Leia and Rey emasculating various male rebels while flawlessly using force powers to conquer the universe.

#3627 4 years ago
    Quoted from Flowst:

(Sarcasm ahead)
    Love to know why everything has to be a trilogy. I seem to recall George Lucas had a ton of material he wanted to convey, but truncated pending the success of the first.
    If these new hacks have no direct plan and need to creatively brainstorm, why a trilogy?
    Hopefully we get some spin off stories Im dying to see. Anything less than 3 star wars movies per year would be an absolute tragedy.
    CGI Leia and Rey emasculating various male rebels while flawlessly using force powers to conquer the universe.

hope rose gets her well deserved spin off

#3628 4 years ago
    Quoted from Flowst:

(Sarcasm ahead)

Don't tempt the hacks and SJWs.

#3629 4 years ago

The Rose Tico story. “Don’t worry, Love will land this ship!”
    4E795214-BF8E-4F1B-9EE2-FE9F96F1C735.gif4E795214-BF8E-4F1B-9EE2-FE9F96F1C735.gif45FE8ADB-3F3E-4F72-99A3-BED7569E80B7 (resized).png45FE8ADB-3F3E-4F72-99A3-BED7569E80B7 (resized).png

#3630 4 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

It's all about the story and the characters I think, they just ported characters from any generic action film and dropped them in....that on top of no epic backstory to set them up just leaves you less invested in them. For me having Luke standing on the edge of the dune staring in the distance with the twin suns setting behind him telegraphed he was a young man who thought he could be more than just a farmer. Then the story expands with Ben telling him about the mythical Jedis just foreshadowed the hero's journey. With TFA and TLJ they made them heroes first and then bigger heroes later...(lesser so with Finn). Even the blue hair lady was like boom I'm a bad ass....no back story with any of them, Kylo, Finn, even the main character.
    Now, think about why are they bringing the Emperor back, where is the story for it, he's not needed...this is just lazy writing. They needed a baddie so they're bringing him back just like that. WTF! I think it would've made more sense to bring back Darth Maul.

I agree entirely!

I also thought of the entire arbitrary undercutting nature of this Turd, I mean Third Trilogy.

So if the Emperor comes back, and Rey defeats him, not only does that negate and devalue Luke's character arc, but Anakin/Vader as well. Throws the entire purpose and art of six prior films into the trash, just to "reenergize" the series, all for more empty cash collection.

#3631 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

I agree entirely!
    I also thought of the entire arbitrary undercutting nature of this Turd, I mean Third Trilogy.
    So if the Emperor comes back, and Rey defeats him, not only does that negate and devalue Luke's character arc, but Anakin/Vader as well. Throws the entire purpose and art of six prior films into the trash, just to "reenergize" the series, all for more empty cash collection.

Ha, this came out today, it looks like he may have read our posts

https://www.cnet.com/news/the-new-star-wars-trilogy-is-worse-than-the-prequels/

#3632 4 years ago

Some new photos released today......

After being dumped from The Last Jedi, I see Abrams has made it a priority to give his childhood friend another featured appearance in The Rise of Skywalker. Snap Wexley, an overweight bearded plot who was SO important to the Resistance that they didn't use him in The Last Jedi. Utterly forgettable character, but you know, them bros gotta stick together and get their speaking role screen time.

I find the celebrity casting like this annoying. Star cameos & personal favors are the priority over a talented established supporting cast. Like that article link mentioned above, at least Lucas was smart enough to cast strong veteran actors in supporting roles (like Christopher Lee, Jimmy Smits, etc) who didn't distract from the storytelling. They enhanced it. What did Laura Dern, Benicio Del Toro, Gwendoline Christie add to their roles? Not much. In fact I would argue the Baton Trooper from TFA who yells "Traitor!" and fights Fynn was more memorable than any of these star cameos. And the only time they got a supporting role right with Max Von Sydow, they killed him after 3 minutes of screen time. Sounds about right.

I won't even comment on that giant slug. Too easy a target.

sluggo (resized).JPGsluggo (resized).JPG

#3633 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

After being dumped from The Last Jedi, I see Abrams has made it a priority to give his childhood friend another featured appearance in The Rise of Skywalker. Snap Wexley, an overweight bearded plot who was SO important to the Resistance that they didn't use him in The Last Jedi. Utterly forgettable character, but you know, them bros gotta stick together and get their speaking role screen time.
    I find the celebrity casting like this annoying. Star cameos & personal favors are the priority over a talented established supporting cast. Like that article link mentioned above, at least Lucas was smart enough to cast strong veteran actors in supporting roles (like Christopher Lee, Jimmy Smits, etc) who didn't distract from the storytelling. They enhanced it. What did Laura Dern, Benicio Del Toro, Gwendoline Christie add to their roles? Not much. In fact I would argue the Baton Trooper from TFA who yells "Traitor!" and fights Fynn was more memorable than any of these star cameos. And the only time they got a supporting role right with Max Von Sydow, they killed him after 3 minutes of screen time. Sounds about right.
    [quoted image]

Max Von Sydow was the best part of the movie.

#3634 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

[quoted image]

Which Slug? The one the right or the left?

#3635 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Max Von Sydow was the best part of the movie.

You know there was a lot of talk at the time about the opening line of TFA, when Max Von Sydow says "This will begin to make things right", as he handed the map of Luke's location to the Resistance.

But the double meaning was that he was also referring to Disney's new trilogy itself. They were talking to the loyal fans who were upset at Lucas for so many years. The fans who hated the prequels. The fans who have waited 30 years for Episode 7. Now Disney is going to make things right & restore your faith & love of Star Wars.

Kind of ironic that the COMPLETE OPPOSITE happened. This new trilogy made me appreciate & love the prequels even more!

#3636 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

This new trilogy made me appreciate & love the prequels even more!

I still say TPM isn't that bad, it's probably the closest we'll ever get to the original trilogy. The first 15 minutes are great as is Liam and the final duel.

#3637 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

[quoted image]

That....is an actual image released from Disney??????????????

Jesus tap dancing christ.

And yeah, lose the fat friend on the left. He was awful even for the blip he was onscreen, as I couldn't stop thinking about him being a J.J. pal.

#3639 4 years ago

Finally got to see The Joker, wow....it was actually worth the price of the ticket. I never thought anyone can outdo Nicholson and Ledger's Joker but it turned out I was wrong. It's been a while since someone took us down an unexpected road. It makes Avengers and the rest of the recent comic flicks look like Saturday morning cartoons. I'll bet he'll get the Oscar nod for this movie.

#3640 4 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Finally got to see The Joker, wow....it was actually worth the price of the ticket. I never thought anyone can outdo Nicholson and Ledger's Joker but it turned out I was wrong. It's been a while since someone took us down an unexpected road. It makes Avengers and the rest of the recent comic flicks look like Saturday morning cartoons. I'll bet he'll get the Oscar nod for this movie.

Glad you enjoyed it! Definitely a different feeling than the Marvel flavor.

I found the plot direction aimless, and not really capable of me either liking or disdaining the character, mostly found him irritating. Felt like Angst the Movie, plotted by a 12 year old boy. His sources from King of Comedy and Taxi Driver held much more weight and nuance for me.

I like Apocalypse Now, Taxi Driver, There Will Be Blood, and Deranged...a loose Ed Gein adaptation from the 70's, for witnessing character transformation. I didn't feel like I cared for Arthur's progression towards darkness, or felt it had enough substance or personal agency to feel "valid". Everything in that movie, just happens to him, then he reacts. He had no personal direction, just a career victim.

Again, that said, I'm glad people found it enjoyable and could appreciate it for different reasons.

#3641 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

Glad you enjoyed it! Definitely a different feeling than the Marvel flavor.
    I found the plot direction aimless, and not really capable of me either liking or disdaining the character, mostly found him irritating. Felt like Angst the Movie, plotted by a 12 year old boy. His sources from King of Comedy and Taxi Driver held much more weight and nuance for me.
    I like Apocalypse Now, Taxi Driver, There Will Be Blood, and Deranged...a loose Ed Gein adaptation from the 70's, for witnessing character transformation. I didn't feel like I cared for Arthur's progression towards darkness, or felt it had enough substance or personal agency to feel "valid". Everything in that movie, just happens to him, then he reacts. He had no personal direction, just a career victim.
    Again, that said, I'm glad people found it enjoyable and could appreciate it for different reasons.

Right on bro, that's pretty much spot on. But do you want to know why I liked it? I liked it because it was completely an unexpected take on the comic character, this movie was not a DC movie, it was a gritty drama, if he had removed the Joker name, it could have been a stand alone movie about an outcast with mental illness. I also liked it because he wrapped up a pretty pointed social commentary in the movie about the times we live in....I know about the homage to early Scorsese but I think he picked the late 70's early 80's because the country was divided and polarized back then just like it is now. In any case, there is also the issue of not having a protagonist (or antagonist depending on how you look at it). most of these DC/Marvel movies have a good guy pitted against a bad guy theme....in this one the society at large or I should say a disconnected society at large is the being framed off camera as the bad guy. You can substitute society for government, class or system etc. So, by not having a traditional X vs Y you might leave the theater a little less satisfied. Frankly, for me I think the studio had some balls green lighting this picture. While Disney/ Marvel is giving us paint by numbers plots and characters these guys went for broke with almost indy like artistic take on the Joker. Again, if I had seen this on opening night I'd bet that it would've bombed....but it's making some serious coin, so I don't understand how this thing found its audience.

#3642 4 years ago

It found an audience because people are tired of the same old crap and are just happy to see something different than the usual ensemble cast of 30 with no character development and mostly bad cgi that has been cleared by the Chinese government censors. Please forgive the run on sentence.

#3643 4 years ago

Trailer's out! I'd like to be the first one to reiterate how bad this movie is going to be! Worse than the prequels.

#3644 4 years ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

Trailer's out! I'd like to be the first one to reiterate how bad this movie is going to be! Worse than the prequels.

That doesn't look good at all. In fact I was a lot more excited before I saw that trailer...before I thought that there was some hope they could save things, now I have no hope.

#3645 4 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

In fact I was a lot more excited before I saw that trailer...before I thought that there was some hope they could save things, now I have no hope.

What?!
    That trailer didn’t pull on the last nostalgic strings of our SW fandom!?

What does Disney resort to now?!
    40AC8A23-5366-4647-AAC5-78CE25EE1017 (resized).png40AC8A23-5366-4647-AAC5-78CE25EE1017 (resized).png

#3646 4 years ago

Trailer looks good to me.

Can't wait to see it on $5 Tuesdays and wrap up the latest trilogy.

#3647 4 years ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

The prequels did make a lot of money which is why Disney bought SW in the first pace to make money. Also not everyone is hard core fans. My wife and kids enjoyed TLJ.

Maybe SW can be saved by the TV show which looks great imo. If we have to live with a few stinkers to get something great that’s ok with me.

#3648 4 years ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

The final installment is the bun of a giant shit sandwich, people. Disney sugar coated the shit for us but make no mistake about it...dont bite down on this one.

#3649 4 years ago

It's going to be terrible.

#3650 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

My wife and kids enjoyed TLJ.

Quoted from Methos:

It's going to be terrible

Quoted from okayestpinballer:

Can't wait to see it on $5 Tuesdays and wrap up the latest trilogy.

Don't get me wrong, my friends and I are going opening night; pub crawl first, beers at the theatre, pizza too, kick off our shoes, and hopefully don't fall asleep like I did during Rogue One*.

There are 6,232 posts in this topic. You are on page 73 of 125.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spoilers-star-wars-the-last-jedi-is-really-bad-spoilers/page/73?hl=golfkill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.