Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,232 posts
  • 311 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 29 hours ago by acedanger
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi was...”

• garbage, the worst of the main films 243 votes
      34%
    • decent, better than the prequels 251 votes
      35%
    • really good, on par with the originals 80 votes
      11%
    • great! one of the best 80 votes
      11%
    • who cares, star wars sucks 55 votes
      8%

(709 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ss1-trapped (resized).jpg
    fantastic_four_1961_48_3 (resized).jpg
    d0c0aa785c9ed124 (resized).jpeg
    b881ebbaf721aff4 (resized).jpeg
    1 (56) (resized).JPG
    the-acolyte-databank-feature-article-feature_536e2878 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1dd86362581cee58daeaeaef82eb6037 (resized).jpg
    the-acolyte-teaser-poster_506fd466 (resized).jpeg
    1 (resized).jpg
    2 (resized).jpg
    3 (resized).jpg
    6aw3vw8uep501 (resized).jpg
    GGtWnNMWMAAWx0I (resized).png
    nickcole1 (resized).png
    d4109923eb01c73d (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,232 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 125.
    #3451 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

But wasn’t Obi-wan just laying low watching out after Luke from a distance? I mean, it already didn’t make sense to hide Luke with Darth Vader’s step-brother on his home planet, would Obi-Wan really have wanted to draw attention to himself with crazy adventures?

Yep. Sarcastic post. I always looked at it as his final punishment for failing. Exiled and alone. But now he can have fun adventures, right? I hope he gets a girlfriend.

Fuck. It's been 40 years since people who understand star wars have made a star wars story. How the fuck is this franchise still going?

#3452 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

Yep. Sarcastic post. I always looked at it as his final punishment for failing. Exiled and alone. But now he can have fun adventures, right? I hope he gets a girlfriend.
    Fuck. It's been 40 years since people who understand star wars have made a star wars story. How the fuck is this franchise still going?

More like he had an important role, to watch over the last hope for the Jedi....

#3453 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

This is not a Disney observation but just saw the movie Into the Spider Verse and thought it was one of the best super hero movies and hope that some more comic type movies will be made.

Without a doubt best Spider-Man movie ever... live action, cartoon or otherwise. Great story. After watching that, I’m ready for Marvel to ditch Tom Holland & the played out teenage Peter Parker bullshit that’s been done over & over & over. Give us the wise, married & cynical 30 year old Peter Parker. Far more interesting.

#3454 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

But wasn’t Obi-wan just laying low watching out after Luke from a distance? I mean, it already didn’t make sense to hide Luke with Darth Vader’s step-brother on his home planet, would Obi-Wan really have wanted to draw attention to himself with crazy adventures?

If they base the tv show on the Journals of Ben Kenobi, and the 18 year period between the end of the Clone Wars & Luke meeting Obi-Wan, then it can be an incredible show. Especially with Ewan McGregor reprising his role.

For those who are unaware, some of this period has been covered in the comics & cartoons before. After ANH, Luke returned to Tatooine to visit Obiwan’s home on the Dune Sea, where he found his old journals documenting his time watching over Luke & the threats he had to overcome to protect him those 18 years. How he learned to communicate with force ghost Qui-Gon, the reasons why Owen Lars grew to hate him, fending off the Hutts & gangsters, Bounty Hunters, and finally facing Darth Maul in a final confrontation. There’s tons of material to cover, which can be explored far more in depth in a TV show than a 2 hour movie. It would be huge for fans.

#3455 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Without a doubt best Spider-Man movie ever... live action, cartoon or otherwise. Great story. After watching that, I’m ready for Marvel to ditch Tom Holland & the played out teenage Peter Parker bullshit that’s been done over & over & over. Give us the wise, married & cynical 30 year old Peter Parker. Far more interesting.

Yeah, people seemed to overwhelmingly love that movie. I found it cynical, and lacking a new note in storytelling. Peter is broken, and used as fodder in so many ways, literally. Whereas Miles, and cohorts, really just repeat Pete's story sans soul, charisma, or wrinkles that really feel unique. For me, anyway.

It looked nice, for sure.

Oddly, I'm watching the most hated Spidey movie now, Raimi's third, and it's unreal how much film making has changed since Marvel's ideologies have become the norm. This feels dumb and innocent in comparison. Flawed, but genuine. I haven't watched it maybe since release....

#3456 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

RJ sucks pretty hard. I don’t think he’s trolling us though, at least that is not his primary goal, he’s just positioning for his lawsuit against Disney and/or breakup fee. He’s just creating his false narrative that he’s working on stuff so he can force Disney to pay him more money when they can him.
    Him irritating us former fans is just a bonus to him and feeding his ego a bit, but him tattooing Disney for money when they don’t move forward with his dribble is his primary goal.

A lawsuit, you think so? If he does he may be able to recoup a few million but Disney will ban him which may give him pause. Disney sina force to be reckoned with. I don't think his trilogy will ever come to life. I bet you Disney and Lucas Film will think twice about having anything with that guy's name attached.

#3457 4 years ago

how does everyone feel about the spiderman MCU news?

#3458 4 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

There is no news yet. Negotiations are continuing. All the "news" is click-bait overreaction.

There is zero chance either company is going to kill this cash cow. They both know working together is their best bet to maximize profits. They will work it out.

#3459 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

There is zero chance either company is going to kill this cash cow. They both know working together is their best bet to maximize profits. They will work it out.

I would have to agree. With Disney setting Spider-man up to take over or replace Iron man as their lead character and Far from Home becoming Sony's highest grossing film, it would cost both parties dearly if no deal is reached.

#3460 4 years ago

People are going to show up for Spiderman period, no matter who is making the movies.

I have no problem with this whatsoever. We've gotten 5 movies with Holland as Spider-Man & I thought Far From Home was the worst of them all. These new character versions are played out IMO. Plus Spider-man is just another white male superhero that doesn't fit into MCU 2.0's female & ethnic driven diversity plans. Half kidding with that statement, but seriously I'd have no problem with Sony putting the Holland version of the character to bed.

Sony already going in a new direction with their more adult themed Spiderverse. While Venom was a pretty lousy movie, the character itself was well done & the film made money. They clearly learned their lesson with the lousy Andrew Garfield movies, and I sure they'll take cues from how the MCU handled him.

I think Sony should be given the benefit of the doubt here. They knocked Into the Spiderverse out of the park. They are building a darker more adult themed spiderverse for their movies. Venom 2 & Morbius The Living Vampire are in production. A Sinister Six movie has always been rumored. How cool would it be to see a darker Spider-man movie with Kraven the Hunter hunting Spider-Man down? Bring back red-headed Mary Jane & the Green Goblin. Be bold an recast the role as on older Peter Parker working for the Bugle, getting back to his science roots. Will Holland be a good match to face off against serious threats like Venom? IDK. The MCU makes him look a like an incompetent kid who wouldn't be anything if it wasn't for Tony Stark. I'm not sure how you can even use Holland in the Sony Universe when you can't acknowledge anything that Holland did before in the MCU.

Now would you rather see this adult version universe full of classic characters & Sinister Six villain team-ups, or more ah-shucks goofy teenager Peter awkwardly going through college with his dumb friends. Sony made a good move here. Let's see what Sony comes up with.

#3461 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

This is not a Disney observation but just saw the movie Into the Spider Verse and thought it was one of the best super hero movies and hope that some more comic type movies will be made.

That movie was not Disney...probably why it was good

#3462 4 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

It’s fantastic! I disliked the MCU Spider-Man and his teeny-bopper high school SJW friends and issues from day 1. Give me Sony’s versions any day!

#3463 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I agree, for an animated flick it was something special...so well done in just about every aspect.

#3464 4 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

I agree, for an animated flick it was something special...so well done in just about every aspect

I’ll check it out. If you guys like it I am sure I will as well as we all seem to have similar taste in good television.

#3465 4 years ago

Mind blown!!! F Episode 9. Is it Nov 12th yet???

#3466 4 years ago

Is that IG 88 in action?

#3467 4 years ago
    #3468 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Is that IG 88 in action?

According to lore, there were 5 IG assassin droids that became self aware after being activated, then they murdered their creators. I think IG-88B is the one from the ESB, but I think I read that the one in the Mandalorian is one of the others.

In any case it will be awesome to see him fully functioning & killing. Looks like he teams up with the Mandalorian.

#3469 4 years ago

I crunched the numbers from the leaked footage. Since this show takes place around 3 years after ROTJ, whomever the Mandalorian is hunting disappeared approximately 10 years before Episode I. Very interesting scenario.

#3470 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Mind blown!!! F Episode 9. Is it Nov 12th yet???

Holy crap, you can see by the actors he hired this thing is going to be fantastic.....Carl Weathers, G. Esposito, the martial art chick ( I forget her name) and the crazy German filmmaker Herzog.....Lol, this is the antithesis to Disney's last trilogy and it's directors. A rebuke really. IIRC the main character is Pedro Pascal from Narcos (another inspired choice).....right?

#3471 4 years ago

Looks bad ASS!!

Bring it

#3472 4 years ago

Just watched the trailer, got to say it looks pretty kick ass! Did anyone else notice the person frozen in carbonite? I guess that is standard practice for bounty hunters now. lol

#3473 4 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

IIRC the main character is Pedro Pascal from Narcos (another inspired choice).....right?

GoT as well. 08C27404-9898-41B3-AB77-FA0E9248E292 (resized).jpeg08C27404-9898-41B3-AB77-FA0E9248E292 (resized).jpeg

#3474 4 years ago

Eh.

RiseofSkywalker (resized).jpegRiseofSkywalker (resized).jpeg
    #3475 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

Eh.[quoted image]

Oh no! Kylo Ren has the high ground. Rey should just surrender because she has no chance if that poster is accurate.

#3476 4 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Holy crap, you can see by the actors he hired this thing is going to be fantastic.....Carl Weathers, G. Esposito, the martial art chick ( I forget her name) and the crazy German filmmaker Herzog.....Lol, this is the antithesis to Disney's last trilogy and it's directors. A rebuke really. IIRC the main character is Pedro Pascal from Narcos (another inspired choice).....right?

Herzog is the best. Hope he has a somewhat sizeable role.

#3477 4 years ago

i guess the first movie scene will be Rey entering the bathroom and then the camera focusses on Luke an the Imoperator taking a shower ...

bobby (resized).jpgbobby (resized).jpg
    #3478 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

Eh.[quoted image]

If they had only gone with this idea in Episode 7. Emperor secret plans 30 years in making, Empire loyalists are back, one last final challenge for old Luke & friends. They die at end, their kids have small parts & pick up the mantle at end of episode 9. All set up for more adventures for Ep 10 & beyond. Nope. Instead they gave us bullshit.

This “Emperor Returns” move for Episode 9 just reaks of desperation. IDGAF about this movie at all.

What will get Disney scratching their heads is when they see fans going crazy for Mandalorian, but Episode 9 tanks at the theaters. That’s when the shoe will drop for Kennedy & the rest of the idiots running things. The only reason Mandalorian looks to be done so well is because superfans Filoni is producing/writing & Favreau is writing/directing. Kennedy & her crew of SJWs had nothing to do with it.

#3479 4 years ago

This is just laughable at this point. War machine C3P0 confirmed, yet another example of shitting on a beloved character. Sith Rey? Obvious shocking bait & switch buzz tactic, and probably dream sequence. Emperor is back, also teased Vader breathing. Everyone back from the dead apparently. When JJ Abrams literally said "Fuck it" on shooting this movie, he obviously meant it. Can't wait for them to blow up the Falcon with Chewie in it . Icing on the cake.

#3480 4 years ago

"fuck it" pretty much sums up the franchise at this point

#3481 4 years ago

Good to see this movie continues the tradition of seeing what new, crazy shit they can do with a lightsaber to sell toys. Seriously, what practical purpose could a fold in half lightsaber serve?

#3482 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

This is just laughable at this point. War machine C3P0 confirmed, yet another example of shitting on a beloved character. Sith Rey? Obvious shocking bait & switch buzz tactic, and probably dream sequence. Emperor is back, also teased Vader breathing. Everyone back from the dead apparently. When JJ Abrams literally said "Fuck it" on shooting this movie, he obviously meant it. Can't wait for them to blow up the Falcon with Chewie in it . Icing on the cake.

I have a feeling they told JJ to do whatever it takes to make people forget the Last Jedi, make money in the process & move on to original content.

#3483 4 years ago

i still have faith that it will be better than TLJ....for now.

#3484 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I just find it weird that anyone would find Rey interesting at this point. This series has thrived on nothing but nostalgia, and then brutally killing it, with no character or universe development on it's own...

Remember star destroyers? Here's a gazillion!

Remember mauls double blade??? Now, it's foldable!!!

Remember.....eh, not even worth the brain cells.

#3485 4 years ago

Just think of all those girls who idolize & dress up as Rey waking up today & grasping with the fact that their hero as turned to the darkside. haha

Yes I was laughing at the shot of a million Star Destroyers. No matter what happens or how many Starkiller bases they lose, the first order just has unlimited resources huh? Dumb & strictly for shocking visual effect. Does this make sense JJ?.....Fuck it

#3486 4 years ago

I really don't think Rey is going to the dark side. Its just more nostalgia she is going into the tree to see herself as a Sith or some shit like that. Just like Luke did with Vader. I do agree the entire story line is dead, it's just a bad B movie at this stage. They need to start the whole thing over with the focus on a single character and build them up. None of this you become a Jedi in an afternoon garbage. The movies need to cover months and years not hours and days.

#3487 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

Good to see this movie continues the tradition of seeing what new, crazy shit they can do with a lightsaber to sell toys. Seriously, what practical purpose could a fold in half lightsaber serve?

Was watching the trailer and didn’t see foldable light saber until the end. But I couldn’t picture what it was even going to be. Then saw it at the end and laughed out loud.

Still looks to be a better movie than TLJ or Solo. I have a ton of faith in JJ.

#3488 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I have a ton of faith in JJ.

This is what I don't understand. Why do people say this? His track record is pretty lousy IMO

Lost Produc/writer: Cult initial following, went off rails at by the end, pissed off legions of fans.
    Star Trek Director: New action-packed take, but pissed off long-time fans of the original series.
    Star Trek 2 Director: Remake of beloved Wrath of Khan, which everyone hated this movie
    Star Trek 3 Director: More of the same, lousy story, and basically ended the rebooted franchise
    Super 8 Director: 80's Speilberg clone attempt film, totally forgettable with a dumb ending
    Star Wars Ep7: Intentional A New Hope ripoff, same plot points reworked, SJW agenda pushed
    Mission Impossible: Still produces this summer action fodder, who still goes to see these?
    Cloverfield: Produced the most nausea inducing shaky camera film ever made. Sequel was even dumber.

This gives people hope for Episode 9? I see a track record of landing big gigs based on reputation, poor writing (even when he's ripping off or rebooting someone else's idea) & multiple times of pissing off his own fans. Why keep supporting this guy? Episode 9 will probably be no different. He's not a great writer or director, but his films make money. That's all that matters these days.

#3489 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Cloverfield: Produced the most nausea inducing shaky camera film ever made. Sequel was even dumber.

Respectfully disagree. Both Cloverfield movies were excellent.

#3490 4 years ago

If he was smart, JJ would rip off all the basic story points from the extended universe novels. Make it that the resurrected Emperor had a plan all along. His fleet have been hiding out in unknown legions, then show up with new army & Death Star tech equipped Star Destroyers to reclaim the galaxy. That would work.

It's a shame that we are left with Rey/Kylo to take up this fight in Episode 9, instead of Luke/Han/Leia in Episode 7. But there could always be a force ghost fight? Yoda joining the frey? I wouldn't be surprised by anything at this point. Maybe that's what JJ means by fuck it? I'm going to throw everything in & make it awesome for fans, I don't care if it makes sense. We'll see I guess.

#3491 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Respectfully disagree. Both Cloverfield movies were excellent.

The premise of the sequel was interesting. Stuck in bomb shelter with a suspicious lunatic. There is lots of tension buildup, like all his suspense movies. Then like every other JJ original story, the ending is pretty weak & anticlimactic. I wasn't a big fan. Didn't bother to watch the third one that when straight to Netflix

#3492 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

This is what I don't understand. Why do people say this? His track record is pretty lousy IMO
    Lost Produc/writer: Cult initial following, went off rails at by the end, pissed off legions of fans.
    Star Trek Director: New action-packed take, but pissed off long-time fans of the original series.
    Star Trek 2 Director: Remake of beloved Wrath of Khan, which everyone hated this movie
    Star Trek 3 Director: More of the same, lousy story, and basically ended the rebooted franchise
    Super 8 Director: 80's Speilberg clone attempt film, totally forgettable with a dumb ending
    Star Wars Ep7: Intentional A New Hope ripoff, same plot points reworked, SJW agenda pushed
    Mission Impossible: Still produces this summer action fodder, who still goes to see these?
    This gives people hope for Episode 9? I see a track record of landing big gigs based on reputation, poor writing (even when he's ripping off or rebooting someone else's idea) & multiple times of pissing off his own fans. Why keep supporting this guy? Episode 9 will probably be no different. He's not a great writer or director, but his films make money. That's all that matters these days.

He's an fx shot kinda guy. Lots of empty empty action, weak characters, etc.

I've never understood why anyone enjoys his stuff, other than liking some really surface level visuals.

#3493 4 years ago

Lost was *not bad at all* kind of like Twin Peaks it’s not completely great but overall great imo. And yes I’ve watched Lost several times.

Star Trek and MI both good enough. Has to be better than TLJ.

I’ll still rewatch Lost better than most shows on tv.

#3494 4 years ago

Lets not forget that it's not just JJ working on this. The guy who wrote Batman v Superman is a co-writer. So, let that nugget sink in.

Fuck it.

#3495 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

The premise of the sequel was interesting. Stuck in bomb shelter with a suspicious lunatic. There is lots of tension buildup, like all his suspense movies. Then like every other JJ original story, the ending is pretty weak & anticlimactic. I wasn't a big fan. Didn't bother to watch the third one that when straight to Netflix

I don't know how you can say the ending was anticlimactic. I thought it was damn near perfect.

The third one isn't worth watching.

#3496 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

These two movies were pretty good, the first one anyway...the second was entertaining but created a lot of problems for world building. I think JJ really off the rails and forgot he was doing science fiction and not fantasy.

The third Kelvin timeline movie was the worst Star Trek movie in history and needed to not be made.

Compared to RJ, JJ is a world beater. But he’s not the person I would have faith in to save a failing franchise.

#3497 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

Seriously, what practical purpose could a fold in half lightsaber serve?

This stuff is getting pretty laughable.
    Maybe it’s like video cameras, they fit in the pocket now!
    9AE1A0F0-CB17-43DB-834D-C577DCA28855 (resized).jpeg9AE1A0F0-CB17-43DB-834D-C577DCA28855 (resized).jpeg

#3498 4 years ago

Saw the new trailer for The Rise of Skywalker and I can't help to feel that I just don't care. This entire new trilogy is a mess. Disney tricked the fans into thinking these films are a continuation of the Skywalker story but they are anything but that. The new trilogy is a soft reboot with original characters sprinkled in and then killed off. What a shame too as Disney had the opportunity to reunite Han, Leia, and Luke. They could have shown Luke training a new generation of Jedi and the Ben being lost to the darkside. They blew it.

The Skywalker story ended here for me

#3499 4 years ago

It's pretty obvious there was no plan in place for this new trilogy. They made it up as they went and it shows. They should've least had a basic outline for all three movies before they filmed a scene.

#3500 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

It's pretty obvious there was no plan in place for this new trilogy. They made it up as they went and it shows. They should've least had a basic outline for all three movies before they filmed a scene.

This is just such an amazing fact to me. Disney is normally fantastic at planning, I might not always like their plan (of course) but they have one and it’s at least usually well thought through. I guess they just had faith that Kennedy had some kind of vision, perhaps she simply tricked them into believing she did.

Disney is really pumping things for SW now, but the YouTube speculation channels seem flat. I’ve not watched one. I did watch the trailer. Meh...

There are 6,232 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 125.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spoilers-star-wars-the-last-jedi-is-really-bad-spoilers/page/70 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.