Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,234 posts
  • 311 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 hours ago by PanzerFreak
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi was...”

• garbage, the worst of the main films 243 votes
      34%
    • decent, better than the prequels 251 votes
      35%
    • really good, on par with the originals 80 votes
      11%
    • great! one of the best 80 votes
      11%
    • who cares, star wars sucks 55 votes
      8%

(709 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

scioli (resized).jpg
    ss1-trapped (resized).jpg
    fantastic_four_1961_48_3 (resized).jpg
    d0c0aa785c9ed124 (resized).jpeg
    b881ebbaf721aff4 (resized).jpeg
    1 (56) (resized).JPG
    the-acolyte-databank-feature-article-feature_536e2878 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1dd86362581cee58daeaeaef82eb6037 (resized).jpg
    the-acolyte-teaser-poster_506fd466 (resized).jpeg
    1 (resized).jpg
    2 (resized).jpg
    3 (resized).jpg
    6aw3vw8uep501 (resized).jpg
    GGtWnNMWMAAWx0I (resized).png
    nickcole1 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,234 posts in this topic. You are on page 60 of 125.
    #2951 5 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

https://cosmicbook.news/captain-marvel-trouble
    Speaking of SJW... They have been hyping this movie like crazy, as we get closer to show time the pullback has started.
    I don't know anyone who "wants" to see this movie. In the comix she isn't even a second string character and the trailers have been underwhelming. It doesn't help Brie Larson comes across as wooden in them and has started spouting BS at press conferences.
    Get woke, go broke.

Yes the trailers are super meh. Like now they are showing the real super heroes like IM and Captain America in the trailer to get eyes. I was fast forwarding the commercials and saw IM so I backed it up to see if it was an Avengers trailer.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/02/20/iron-man-captain-america-thor-appear-new-captain-marvel-tv-spot/

#2952 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Yes the trailers are super meh. Like now they are showing the real super heroes like IM and Captain America in the trailer to get eyes. I was fast forwarding the commercials and saw IM so I backed it up to see if it was an Avengers trailer.
    https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/02/20/iron-man-captain-america-thor-appear-new-captain-marvel-tv-spot/

Oh damn, I thought it was an Infinity Wars trailer at first.

Nice bait and switch.

#2953 5 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

My only good memory of the prequels was the pod race and the Maul/Kenobi battle at the end.
    Ewan McGregor was excellent as a young Kenobi.
    The ridiculous saber fight with Yoda and the horrible homage to Frankenstein with Vader are on the other end of the spectrum.
    The rest is a forgettable blur. I only watched the first one in the theater and left vastly disappointed, so much so I did not bother seeing the next two till they were out on DVD.

You’re forgetting Nattile Portman.

#2954 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

You’re forgetting Nattile Portman.

She was great in The Professional, Star Wars not so much. I'd prefer to remember her in the first movie, forget the second. She was pretty good in Thor though.

#2955 5 years ago
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #2956 5 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

[quoted image]

I think just the amount of people that will not see it opening weekend until they hear if it's a good movie or not will be a drastic drop in ticket sales.

You will see Avengers: Endgame have the highest opening weekend ever and you will see episode 9 have the lowest opening weekend of any star wars movie besides solo.

#2957 5 years ago

https://cosmicbook.news/captain-marvel-thanos-kevin-feige

Kevin Feige has some mighty big words to say in a soundbite interview released by the studio for the Captain Marvel movie offering the character is one of the most popular and powerful in the comics and will be so in the MCU. Feige also goes on to say that audiences will embrace Brie Larson as Carol Danvers.

Mary-Sue confirmed.

So popular that the title is unable to sustain a regular series. Fact I did not know- Marvel must keep a "Captain Marvel" series going with no more of a gap of 2 years for copyright reasons. They snatched the name after Fawcett discontinued the Captain Marvel series in the 60's.

#2958 5 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

So popular that the title is unable to sustain a regular series. Fact I did not know- Marvel must keep a "Captain Marvel" series going with no more of a gap of 2 years for copyright reasons. They snatched the name after Fawcett discontinued the Captain Marvel series in the 60's.

Well that didn't stop DC from making their own Captain Marvel movie. Most people have been referring to him as "Shazam" since the 70s anyway. Sadly that movie looks awful as well. Zack Levi? What terrible casting. That's a character that any kid would love (Superman meets the movie Big), but I've got very little faith the film will be any good.

Captain Marvel is probably looking at Antman type numbers, or less. The bad press (and general fan dislike of the character for years) isn't helping. How is this girl more powerful than Thor, Hulk, Thanos or even Galactus? Not buying it.

#2959 5 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Captain Marvel is probably looking at Antman type numbers, or less.

Would that be a bad thing? Ant Man has been a better known character than Captain Marvel for at least 40 years, and Paul Rudd was a legitimate movie star when he made Ant Man, whereas Brie Larson is a TV actor. Maybe Disney has been smoking their own stuff, but if they're realistic about it they should be happy to hit Ant Man numbers. Is anyone seriously projecting this to do Avengers-level box office?

#2960 5 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Well that didn't stop DC from making their own Captain Marvel movie. Most people have been referring to him as "Shazam" since the 70s anyway. Sadly that movie looks awful as well. Zack Levi? What terrible casting. That's a character that any kid would love (Superman meets the movie Big), but I've got very little faith the film will be any good.
    Captain Marvel is probably looking at Antman type numbers, or less. The bad press (and general fan dislike of the character for years) isn't helping. How is this girl more powerful than Thor, Hulk, Thanos or even Galactus? Not buying it.

I saw the trailer for Shazam, I think it will do good numbers, it's geared towards family and younger kids. But I could be wrong, I laughed my ass off when they announced Antman, I then went into shock recently when they announced the sequel, Wtf! The last Marvel movie I paid to see was Dr. Strange and that was barely ok. I mean seriously with a 75" 4K tv and a good surround system they have to really give me a big incentive to go to the movie theater nowadays.

#2961 5 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

I saw the trailer for Shazam, I think it will do good numbers, it's geared towards family and younger kids.

I think it will do good, it is geared to be a light family comedy and will do fine just like Ant-man which was a great funny flick.

#2962 5 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Well that didn't stop DC from making their own Captain Marvel movie. Most people have been referring to him as "Shazam" since the 70s anyway.

Had to due to the copyright issue.

Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

How is this girl more powerful than Thor, Hulk, Thanos or even Galactus? Not buying it.

How is Rey more powerful than Luke Skywalker in less than 3 days?

Now witness the firepower of this fully operational SJW/Mary-Sue!

Grrl power baby! Nothing they can't do but kill spiders of course.

#2963 5 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

The last Marvel movie I paid to see was Dr. Strange and that was barely ok.

I have to disagree. That Dr. Strange movie was fantastic, wish everything could be high caliber like it.

#2964 5 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

I have to disagree. That Dr. Strange movie was fantastic, wish everything could be high caliber like it.

I was never a Dr. Strange fan back in the day but the movie was enjoyable, seen it twice.

#2965 5 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Zack Levi? What terrible casting. That's a character that any kid would love (Superman meets the movie Big), but I've got very little faith the film will be any good.

I disagree about Zack - I really can't think of another actor that I think could better play a kid in an adult's (superhero) body. That's a tough role, and while I was initially skeptical with the announcement - after seeing the trailers it appears he is doing a decent job.

#2966 5 years ago

https://cosmicbook.news/twitter-reacts-captain-marvel-killing-rotten-tomatoes

Rotten Tomatoes does away with "are you going to see this movie" poll for some reason.

twitter-rotten-tomatoes-2 (resized).jpgtwitter-rotten-tomatoes-2 (resized).jpgtwitter-rotten-tomatoes-9 (resized).jpgtwitter-rotten-tomatoes-9 (resized).jpg
    #2967 5 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

https://cosmicbook.news/twitter-reacts-captain-marvel-killing-rotten-tomatoes
    Rotten Tomatoes does away with "are you going to see this movie" poll for some reason. [quoted image][quoted image]

Pretty huge overreaction to this online. So they removed the option of people selecting that they don't want to see a movie. Which is about as informative as a poll asking people if they don't want broccoli for dinner. They can still tally the amount of people that DO want to see a movie, which pretty much eliminates troll votes altogether. And then you can have comparisons of those numbers across different movies to gauge interest, which is a much better indicator anyway (ie 20 million people want to see Movie X, compared to only 1 million want to see Movie Y).

#2968 5 years ago

The verdict was in after the first cap marvel trailer, the story and actress didn’t sell me.
    Had a feeling the nonsense would follow as a result - now confirmed.

Really have enjoyed supporting the marvel output, but time for reality check on this one.

#2969 5 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Rotten Tomatoes does away with "are you going to see this movie" poll for some reason.

The reaction posts are priceless. “Orwellian dystopia” indeed. I’m assuming Americans were always this dumb, it’s just that we’ve now all got broadcasting typewriters in our pockets. But still ...

#2970 5 years ago

They are still saying The Last Jedi was unfairly treated by fans and we are just racists and don’t want diversity in our movies (and says we may be Russian bots): https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.com/story/rotten-tomatoes-captain-marvel-trolls/amp
    I just don’t know what to say about these SJW opinion pieces. They simply can’t acknowledge the TLJ product was not good.

#2971 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I just don’t know what to say about these SJW opinion pieces. They simply can’t acknowledge the TLJ product was not good.

The product has become secondary to the message, a typical sign of a converged business.

Disney is already doing damaged control, they have a lot invested in CM doing acceptable numbers. The character is clearly wedged into the Marvel universe at the last minute. If Fury knew her in the 90's why did he not ring her up when aliens were invading New York?

Expect the quality of Marvel movies to head south after End Game.

#2972 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

The reaction posts are priceless. “Orwellian dystopia” indeed. I’m assuming Americans were always this dumb, it’s just that we’ve now all got broadcasting typewriters in our pockets. But still ...

1) Interesting you assume the bulk of the posters are American. As someone recently stated I like the 90's better when you had to work to some degree to get on the internet. Now anyone with a phone has access.

2) I take it as a sign Disney is tossing weight around, hence the poll going away.

Nice website there, be a shame if anything happens to it. They have gone after movie critics before and shut them out.

#2973 5 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I'm not sure we are Orwellian just yet, but this looks to do with corporate profits. Every now and then we get movies like Star Wars, Titanic and such that continue to do well at the box office for months. But that is very difficult to count on for a movie studio, word of mouth is unreliable, and if fans hate the movie it will not last long in the theaters. Movie studios hate risk, just like any business nowadays. So instead of counting on making a great movie and getting the support of word of mouth, they heavily blitz the market with ads, tv interviews, promotional events, and try to recoup all of their money in the first weekend, or first couple of weeks. Look at the momentum TLJ had, and how much money it made in the first couple of weeks despite being a giant turd of a movie. By the time the backlash came, they had made out with big profits.

Allowing users to take away from the buzz, or diminish the opening weekend take is a threat to this corporate strategy. RT looks to be funded with in-page movie advertisements, and the studios undoubtedly pushed to have this "are you going to see this movie" feature removed. It is possible the overwhelming TLJ backlash and skepticism of the upcoming film may have accomplished this change all by itself. There are literally billions at stake with this new star wars movie alone.

#2974 5 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Nice website there, be a shame if anything happens to it. They have gone after movie critics before and shut them out.

Rotten Tomatoes will be just fine. They were thriving before this SJW/snowflake meltdown we seem to be experiencing at the moment, and they’ll be around long after it’s over. Most people are just there for the reviews and don’t care about their polls, forums, etc.

As for “critics” they’ve shut out, I do t know specifics but they’ve got to have some kind of quality filter on for their percentages to mean anything.

#2975 5 years ago

So I feel like everyone in this forum is going to see the next movie, whether its in the theater or at home, we are all going to watch it and more than likely be really disappointed, slight chance of being happy about it. At this point what are some things you want to see happen due to the fact that this movie is supposed to put a close to the skywalker era and movies?

Myself im really hoping that snoke actually is plagueis
    -force ghost Anakin is used with hayden Christensen so the end of ROTJ makes sense with the young force ghost
    -Luke didn't really die in TLJ, and somehow all we were seeing was some force projection the whole time (just a giant middle finger to Rian Johnson)
    -Rey's character actually has some relevance to the skywalkers or plagueis, and why there was so much subliminal emphasis on her staff, being that plagueis used a staff as his weapon, or why Rey's fighting style is exactly like Palpatine's, or why Han looked at her so strangely on the falcon
    -We learn how Maz got the light saber and hopefully ends up being a really good story
    -Whats with Jakku being the center of the universe, what is stored there, did palpatine hide something, just some kind of answer.
    -Rose dies in the opening scene
    -Some explanation of the forceback visions and why obiwan calls out to Rey

I know im not catching all of it but what are some other things that could be done to make this final movie not be a complete shit show and only like half a shit show?

#2976 5 years ago
    Quoted from tl54hill:

RT looks to be funded with in-page movie advertisements, and the studios undoubtedly pushed to have this "are you going to see this movie" feature removed. It is possible the overwhelming TLJ backlash and skepticism of the upcoming film may have accomplished this change all by itself.

Yep, the advertisers likely said they would pull the ads if RT couldn’t get the message under control and deal with the “trolls” and “Russian bots”...or something along those lines.

When you take advertising dollars from a company it can come with a serious price tag of them having input on your content because they can threaten you with removing their ads...if you have grown addicted to their ad revenue you’ll do things you otherwise wouldn’t do and use some type of confirmation bias or dissidence to self justify your behavior.

#2977 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

So I feel like everyone in this forum is going to see the next movie, whether its in the theater or at home, we are all going to watch it and more than likely be really disappointed, slight chance of being happy about it.

Don't count on it. I haven't bothered watching TLJ again or Solo at all, despite them staring me in the eye every time I log into Netflix.

I'm pretty sure I'll be content to read a synopsis on IX.

#2978 5 years ago
    Quoted from racer_x:

Don't count on it. I haven't bothered watching TLJ again or Solo at all, despite them staring me in the eye every time I log into Netflix.
    I'm pretty sure I'll be content to read a synopsis on IX.

Anything you hope to read about that happens?

#2979 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Anything you hope to read about that happens?

Nope.

After Last Jedi, I honestly don't care want happens next. I don't care about any of the characters that are left. Whatever morbid curiosity I might've had was killed off by bungling the plotline of the trilogy so badly. There's literally nothing that I'm looking forward to IX answering.

#2980 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

At this point what are some things you want to see happen due to the fact that this movie is supposed to put a close to the skywalker era and movies?
    Myself im really hoping that snoke actually is plagueis

I don’t care one way or the other about this - references back to true prequels are a complete waste of time IMO. But if they want a 30-second throw away line to keep other fans happy, whatever.

Quoted from mrm_4:

-force ghost Anakin is used with hayden Christensen so the end of ROTJ makes sense with the young force ghost

Oh God no, Lucas’ retro edits to the OT were an abomination, and whatever the new trioligy needs it’s not Hayden Christianson. Or Jar Jar or midichlorians for that matter. If they’re going to go back to 1999, they might as well go all-in and have Smashmouth do the score.

Quoted from mrm_4:

-Luke didn't really die in TLJ, and somehow all we were seeing was some force projection the whole time (just a giant middle finger to Rian Johnson)

I think this could be a good twist if they decide to have fun with it. Or alternately, make Luke an interventionist force ghost - since Yoda can call down lightning and start fires, why not have Luke fucking shit up after death?

In general, I hope the point of Ep IX is to make an enjoyable film, and not just run around filing perceived continuity holes.

#2981 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I don’t care one way or the other about this - references back to true prequels are a complete waste of time IMO. But if they want a 30-second throw away line to keep other fans happy, whatever.

Oh God no, Lucas’ retro edits to the OT were an abomination, and whatever the new trioligy needs it’s not Hayden Christianson. Or Jar Jar or midichlorians for that matter. If they’re going to go back to 1999, they might as well go all-in and have Smashmouth do the score.

I think this could be a good twist if they decide to have fun with it. Or alternately, make Luke an interventionist force ghost - since Yoda can call down lightning and start fires, why not have Luke fucking shit up after death?
    In general, I hope the point of Ep IX is to make an enjoyable film, and not just run around filing perceived continuity holes.

Is there something youd actually like to see though?

#2982 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

As for “critics” they’ve shut out, I do t know specifics but they’ve got to have some kind of quality filter on for their percentages to mean anything.

They blacklisted the LA Times.

#2983 5 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

They blacklisted the LA Times.

Wait, are we talking about Rotten Tomatoes or Disney?

#2984 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

-We learn how Maz got the light saber and hopefully ends up being a really good story

I think this plot thread is as dead as it could possibly be. The item was destroyed and of no further value to the story...sadly it is just another undelivered plot point that can't be resurrected after TLJ.

I do think they need to explain how the entire galaxy was completely subjugated in about 20 minutes by the First Order when it took decades of careful planning and manipulation by Palpatine to convert the republic into the empire...how did we end up right back here (to empire vs. rebels) so quickly? They need to take a stab at addressing this in some manner

#2985 5 years ago

I appreciate everyone dissecting what I listed as things I think would make me happy if I saw in the movie, but I think the point of my post is being missed.
    I was just looking to see what you guys want to see.
    You're all very vocal on the issues of the last movie and bring up really good points in your complaints about how things are wrong and what not, so I was trying to see what would be considered a "save" if you will. If there is NO WAY IN HELL this last movie even has a chance, then whats the point of even posting star wars related comments in this thread anymore? Theres gotta be some glimpse of hope left, right? anything?

#2987 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Wait, are we talking about Rotten Tomatoes or Disney?

Disney blacklisted LA Times for daring to post truthful (but negative) stories about the Disney theme parks and a few movie reviews.

I misunderstood you comment about filters, I'm pretty sure you need an account on RT to leave comments no?

Edit: Looking over the RT website on their blog they state "all pre-release polls or comments" have been disabled till the movie is in theaters.. If you click on the "want to see" button, a log-in screen pops up indicating an account is required.

So yes you need an account, and clearly they don't want the great unwashed discussing a movie till they have at least raked in the opening night box office.

#2988 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

I was just looking to see what you guys want to see.
    You're all very vocal on the issues of the last movie and bring up really good points in your complaints about how things are wrong and what not, so I was trying to see what would be considered a "save" if you will.

I hear ya and that is a very good question. I could see a couple things, Rey making a heel turn (becoming a hard core villain) would make her character really interesting. From Mary Sue to full blown dark side mega bad would be an interesting place for her character to go.

Perhaps doing something the Game of Thrones team could build off of later would be good to. Hard to say.

#2989 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

We learn how Maz got the light saber and hopefully ends up being a really good story

Quoted from TigerLaw:

I think this plot thread is as dead as it could possibly be. The item was destroyed and of no further value to the story...sadly it is just another undelivered plot point that can't be resurrected after TLJ.

This still really bothers me tremendously. That lightsaber had such historical significance to Star Wars throughout all the movies & TV shows. It’s the most important relic of the franchise.

It was the lightsaber of Anakin Skywalker. He used it throughout the countless battles of the Clone Wars, and was carried to every corner of the galaxy. It was used to cut the head off Count Dooku & slice the right hand off Mace Windu. After turning to the dark side, Anakin used it to kill the remaining Jedi & younglings at the Jedi Temple on Curosant. It was used in the epic battle against his former master Obiwan Kenobi. It was then taken to Tatooine & kept safe for 19 years, until it was passed down to Anakin’s son Luke. It was used during his very first training session on the Millennium Falcon. It was used to save Luke’s life twice on Hoth, when he used it to cut off a Wampa’s arm & Han Solo sliced open a Tauntaun. Luke used it throughout his monumental Jedi training with Yoda on Dagobah. Luke used it in his first confrontation against his father Darth Vader, where ultimately Luke's lightsaber hand was sliced off by Vader and fell, along with the lightsaber, into the depths of Cloud City. It’s whereabouts unknown.

And what did JJ & Rian Johnson decide to do for the new trilogy with this epic historical relic of the Skywalker saga?

After 30 years, they mysteriously find it in a dusty bar’s basement with no explaination how it got there. The saber now as new powers, where it “calls out” to a junker named Rey, but let’s not explain any of that either. She actually defys conventional thinking, flat out rejects the lightsaber & doesn’t even bother to take it. A former Stormtrooper named Finn does though, and dispite the dangers of wielding a lightsaber with no training, and having zero connection to the Force, he inexplicably holds his own against stormtroopers & briefly against the Sith Lord, and Anakin Skywalker’s grandson, Kylo Ren. Soon after, Rey uses it to overpower & defeat this same Sith Lord, again with zero training. She later tracks down Luke Skywalker & presents him with the legendary weapon of his father....where he dismissively tosses it over his shoulder & off the slide of a cliff like a piece of trash FOR A CHEAP GAG. Rey later uses the saber to train for a couple days with Luke, and later has it taken from her when she confronts Supreme Leader Snoke. Kylo Ren uses the force to cut Snoke in half with the saber, and then Rey & Kylo proceed to have a force battle over the lightsaber. Dispite not being fully trained in the force, they manage to wield incredible power & break it in half.

That lightsaber survived all those battles & epic moments, used by all those legendary characters, only to be split in half by two mind-melded half-siblings or something? Still don’t know, or care to be honest. But they managed to destroy one of the coolest relics in Star Wars playing a battle of Force Tug-O-War??? Kewl. I had to go back and verify the end of TLJ, because Rey apparently took the saber pieces with her on the Falcon (along with the Jedi Temple texts) & will no doubt use the kyber crystal to make a new weapon for Episode 9. But it won’t be the same. Damage has been done, that relic is gone.

Episodes 7 & 8 seriously suck. I expect 9 to be no different.

What would I like to see for Episode 9? How about Rey lets Rose Tico examine her newly built lightsaber. When she looks down the barrel to glimpse the crystal, the Falcon mistakenly collides with an asteroid, which accidently causes Rose to ignite the lightsaber & the blade goes through her face, killing her instantly. She drops the saber, which pierces the floor of the Falcon, drops into the fusion reactor, imploding the ship & killing everyone onboard. Sorry Chewbacca. This is a terrible way for you to go, but you’ve been lonely & depressed since Han died, so this is really for the best. Long may the First Order rule. Roll credits.

#2990 5 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

This still really bothers me tremendously. That lightsaber had such historical significance to Star Wars throughout all the movies & TV shows. It’s the most important relic of the franchise.
    It was the lightsaber of Anakin Skywalker. He used it throughout the countless battles of the Clone Wars, and was carried to every corner of the galaxy. It was used to cut the head off Count Dooku & slice the right hand off Mace Windu. After turning to the dark side, Anakin used it to kill the remaining Jedi & younglings at the Jedi Temple on Curosant. It was used in the epic battle against his former master Obiwan Kenobi. It was then taken to Tatooine & kept safe for 19 years, until it was passed down to Anakin’s son Luke. It was used during his very first training session on the Millennium Falcon. It was used to save Luke’s life twice on Hoth, when he used it to cut off a Wampa’s arm & Han Solo sliced open a Tauntaun. Luke used it throughout his monumental Jedi training with Yoda on Dagobah. Luke used it in his first confrontation against his father Darth Vader, where ultimately Luke's lightsaber hand was sliced off by Vader and fell, along with the lightsaber, into the depths of Cloud City. It’s whereabouts unknown.
    And what did JJ & Rian Johnson decide to do for the new trilogy with this epic historical relic of the Skywalker saga?
    After 30 years, they mysteriously find it in a dusty bar’s basement with no explaination how it got there. The saber now as new powers, where it “calls out” to a junker named Rey, but let’s not explain any of that either. She actually defys conventional thinking, flat out rejects the lightsaber & doesn’t even bother to take it. A former Stormtrooper named Finn does though, and dispite the dangers of wielding a lightsaber with no training, and having zero connection to the Force, he inexplicably holds his own against stormtroopers & briefly against the Sith Lord, and Anakin Skywalker’s grandson, Kylo Ren. Soon after, Rey uses it to overpower & defeat this same Sith Lord, again with zero training. She later tracks down Luke Skywalker & presents him with the legendary weapon of his father....where he dismissively tosses it over his shoulder & off the slide of a cliff like a piece of trash FOR A CHEAP GAG. Rey later uses the saber to train for a couple days with Luke, and later has it taken from her when she confronts Supreme Leader Snoke. Kylo Ren uses the force to cut Snoke in half with the saber, and then Rey & Kylo proceed to have a force battle over the lightsaber. Dispite not being fully trained in the force, they manage to wield incredible power & break it in half.
    That lightsaber survived all those battles & epic moments, used by all those legendary characters, only to be split in half by two mind-melded half-siblings or something? Still don’t know, or care to be honest. But they managed to destroy one of the coolest relics in Star Wars playing a battle of Force Tug-O-War??? Kewl. I had to go back and verify the end of TLJ, because Rey apparently took the saber pieces with her on the Falcon (along with the Jedi Temple texts) & will no doubt use the kyber crystal to make a new weapon for Episode 9. But it won’t be the same. Damage has been done, that relic is gone.
    Episodes 7 & 8 seriously suck. I expect 9 to be no different.
    What would I like to see for Episode 9? How about Rey lets Rose Tico examine her newly built lightsaber. When she looks down the barrel to glimpse the crystal, the Falcon mistakenly collides with an asteroid, which accidently causes Rose to ignite the lightsaber & the blade goes through her face, killing her instantly. She drops the saber, which pierces the floor of the Falcon, drops into the fusion reactor, imploding the ship & killing everyone onboard. Sorry Chewbacca. This is a terrible way for you to go, but you’ve been lonely & depressed since Han died, so this is really for the best. Long may the First Order rule. Roll credits.

#2991 5 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Disney blacklisted LA Times for daring to post truthful (but negative) stories about the Disney theme parks and a few movie reviews.

Yes I saw these stories from a few years back (I think Disney caved after other outlets threatened a boycott). I thought you were saying that RT was blocking LA Times reviews. Which could be a story given recent buyout of the LA Times by a conservative (and also a notorious cheapskate, as luck would have it). But sounds like that’s not the case?

#2992 5 years ago

The purpose of Episodes VII-IX is to reboot the franchise. The presence of original trilogy actors was to give the film some continuity with the historical fans, and pass the torch from the old to new. To do so, the old generation must fade so the new can take their place. I think this is literally the only purpose of the new movies for Disney.

Han did not have much of a purpose in the new movies other than to give us nostalgic feelings, then for him to die dramatically at the hands of his own son. Luke was in the movies to die also, to make the way for Rey. Leia will die next, I am taking bets that she will die in self sacrifice (because women are strong) while killing their son the cartoonish evil Kylo Ren. This will leave Rey as the center of the franchise, the new "Luke". But to pass the torch from Luke to Rey there must be some sort of connection, more than what we have seen in the movies so far. I expect force ghost Luke to be freed from his guilt and bitterness, and explain to Rey that he is her father. To confess how he screwed so many things up, became emotional and physical with a woman (perhaps a jedi student, explaining Rey's crazy force abilities because jedi don't normally hook up). He will say how his emotions led him to fail the new jedi order, and now she is the last of the jedi. This is Luke's confession, and the figurative confession of all straight white men who are to blame for everything wrong with the world today. Luke will be a metaphor for patriarchy and the "old" world of exclusivity and white privilege. It will be to Rey to help usher in a new force world of feminism, diversity, and a figurative rejection of the patriarchal past. Force ghost Luke will get in line, and support Rey in this like Old Ben did for Luke...

With the original characters gone (Chewie and the droids stay, they do not age like human actors and don't need to be written out) Rey is given a clean slate for any future writer to use and continue the franchise. Finn can remain as her sidekick, heartbroken after Rose dies heroically (because women are strong).

That's my guess...we know whatever they do will be politically correct, requires a passing of the torch from the original trilogy actors to the new, and needs to be done in a way that looks forward and not backwards.

All IMO, of course.

#2993 5 years ago
    Quoted from tl54hill:

The purpose of Episodes VII-IX is to reboot the franchise. The presence of original trilogy actors was to give the film some continuity with the historical fans, and pass the torch from the old to new. To do so, the old generation must fade so the new can take their place. I think this is literally the only purpose of the new movies for Disney.
    Han did not have much of a purpose in the new movies other than to give us nostalgic feelings, then for him to die dramatically at the hands of his own son. Luke was in the movies to die also, to make the way for Rey. Leia will die next, I am taking bets that she will die in self sacrifice (because women are strong) while killing their son the cartoonish evil Kylo Ren. This will leave Rey as the center of the franchise, the new "Luke". But to pass the torch from Luke to Rey there must be some sort of connection, more than what we have seen in the movies so far. I expect force ghost Luke to be freed from his guilt and bitterness, and explain to Rey that he is her father. To confess how he screwed so many things up, became emotional and physical with a woman (perhaps a jedi student, explaining Rey's crazy force abilities because jedi don't normally hook up). He will say how his emotions led him to fail the new jedi order, and now she is the last of the jedi. This is Luke's confession, and the figurative confession of all straight white men who are to blame for everything wrong with the world today. Luke will be a metaphor for patriarchy and the "old" world of exclusivity and white privilege. It will be to Rey to help usher in a new force world of feminism, diversity, and a figurative rejection of the patriarchal past. Force ghost Luke will get in line, and support Rey in this like Old Ben did for Luke...
    With the original characters gone (Chewie and the droids stay, they do not age like human actors and don't need to be written out) Rey is given a clean slate for any future writer to use and continue the franchise. Finn can remain as her sidekick, heartbroken after Rose dies heroically (because women are strong).
    That's my guess...we know whatever they do will be politically correct, requires a passing of the torch from the original trilogy actors to the new, and needs to be done in a way that looks forward and not backwards.
    All IMO, of course.

Actually that's a pretty good take on it. I'm with you on this.

They'll officially make Rey Luke's daughter, which was JJ's intention when writing Episode 7 anyway. Cue the force flashbacks & Luke ghost chats to correct all the wrongs of Episode 8, which should all be revealed early in the film. Yoda & Ewan McGregor cameos etc etc. Rey can't hide anything from her mind-melded cousin Kylo, so he will find out at the same time & be visited by force flashbacks of Vader, The Emperor, Snoke, etc etc.

All shall be revealed, specifically the next question that needs to be answered, who is Rey's mother? Obviously to make fans happy, it will turn out to be Luke's estranged wife & fan favorite from the extended universe, Mara Jade. That backstory will be explained via flashbacks. After the fall of Luke's academy, and dumping Rey on Jakuu so Snoke wouldn't discover her, Mara bailed on Luke. He lost his wife, daughter & all faith in the Force. He sunk into depression & became a hermit, which would make a little more sense now I guess.

I'm guessing the McGuffin for the movie is Mara Jade & the race to find her. Rey wants to be reunited with her mother, so all her friends will help her. Now that they are together again for this film, love blossoms between Rey & Finn. Kylo obviously views any other Skywalkers as a threat, so he will reunite the Knights of Ren to hunt down & kill Rey & Mara. I'm also guaranteeing that all roads will eventually lead back to Tattooine for the finale, perhaps finding her living in Luke's old hideout (where he built his green lightsaber) or in Owiban's run-down house. Big ridiculous force battle at the end. Rey vs Kylo, with jedi (yoda, luke, obiwan) & sith (vader, emperor, snoke) force ghosts battling along side them, while the resistance battles the First Order in space above. A battle to decide the fate of the entire universe.

Rey & the good guys win. The sith are finally wiped out. Mara dies & is reunited with Luke. Luke is also reunited with his dead sister Leia, and shocker.... Han Solo! Turns out Rey can communicate with ANY dead soul! One big happy reunion which should have happened in Episode 7. Kylo gets redemption before his death, becomes Ben Solo force ghost & reunites with parents. Post credits shows Finn knocked up Rey, previewing they will have a multi-cultural child. He will be the next Skywalker to lead story into Episodes 10-12, and this is the perfect ending for this SJW trilogy shitshow. Rian Johnson will direct episodes 10-12 & cast Michael B Jordan as Han Skywalker, and the madness & suffering will continue to torment fans for another 10 years of bullshit. Roll credits.

#2994 5 years ago

I love all these theories! I mean that sincerely. But what about the fact that episode 9 is going to be the end of the Skywalker story? I would think that would mean Kylo Ren would die and Rey would not be a Skywalker!

STAR WARS
    Episode Vllll
    No Hope

Everybody dies.. The end

#2995 5 years ago
    Quoted from henrydwh:

sincerely. But what about the fact that episode 9 is going to be the end of the Skywalker story?

I think it’s safe to say that episode VIII was period at the end of the sentence of the Skywalker story. The Anikan/Luke story is well over though HoakeyPokey has some good ideas in his post above.

#2996 5 years ago

Hmmm, I doubt they will kill off Kylo Ren, they've got too much in that character and frankly they've proven themselves to be less creative than the theories you guys have posted.

#2997 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I think it’s safe to say that episode VIII was period at the end of the sentence of the Skywalker story. The Anikan/Luke story is well over though HoakeyPokey has some good ideas in his post above.

I agree! You could almost make episode 8 into episode 9 and redo 8! Although I still don't think it would be a fitting end to Luke! TLJ felt like a ending not a middle in a trilogy! Of course we understand how RJ took a big dump on what JJ setup. TFA was actually a OK IMO not great but OK.

Quoted from kvan99:

Hmmm, I doubt they will kill off Kylo Ren, they've got too much in that character and frankly they've proven themselves to be less creative than the theories you guys have posted.

They do have a lot invested in Ren, but I am taking episode 9 at their word "the end of the Skywalker story" and he is a Skywalker. The end of the Skywalker story to me means no more Skywalkers by name or blood. But that's just me.

I am going to look at this movie like it look at life, hope for the best, expect the worse!

#2998 5 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Post credits shows Finn knocked up Rey, previewing they will have a multi-cultural child.

I don't think Rey gets together with Finn, for the reason that this suggests a woman "needs" a man. Rey is a role model for young girls, and to suggest that the "happily ever after" must include a male figure, or pregnancy, suggests that she needs a man to be complete. This is antithetical to the feminist dogma that a woman does not need a man. I think the PC narrative may get turned down a little bit, but its not going away. I think they will continue to hint a a Rey-Finn relationship, but probably make it more like The Doctor and Companion type of relationship.

But I agree with a lot of your ideas. Mara Jade would be a huge win, I had forgotten about her. I want to believe they will try and fix this mess, but they have boxed themselves in from a storytelling perspective. I feel like this last episode will be fairly predictable, because they just don't have many more story options left.

If they ignore Rey's parentage, the Mary Sue makes no sense.

If they ignore Luke's grumpy meltdown, then they assassinated their best character for no reason, and with no storyline.

Leia is essential to the story, probably more than we think. When Carrie Fisher died, they could have ended Leia and written her out. Instead, we got force space flying and CGI...they are keeping her around for an important reason, otherwise the writers are just idiots.

Kylo Ren and Rey probably have the big lightsaber fight where she becomes a "jedi" like luke did.

And the cartoon space nazis fly around screaming how angry they are through it all.

#2999 5 years ago
    Quoted from henrydwh:

I love all these theories! I mean that sincerely. But what about the fact that episode 9 is going to be the end of the Skywalker story? I would think that would mean Kylo Ren would die and Rey would not be a Skywalker!
    STAR WARS
    Episode Vllll
    No Hope
    Everybody dies.. The end

I find it funny that Disney keeps referring to this trilogy as a continuation of the Skywalker story. That couldn't be further from the truth. Disney has sparingly used the original characters and only hints at what occurred between Episode 6 and 7. The new trilogy is really about Rey, Finn, Kylo, etc and marketing new characters that really haven't been very interesting. My favorite scenes in the new trilogy have all been ones where at least one original character is involved.

#3000 5 years ago

At one point a “Shadows of the Empire” Chewie figure was made with battle axe and eye patch. Just an example of the rich extended universe content developed after ROTJ that could have been tapped for this trilogy.

Instead this legacy character is placed into a scene where he is meat shamed by a porg.

Wtf

039D846F-2F1C-4998-9D92-0BA930BBAF0B (resized).jpeg039D846F-2F1C-4998-9D92-0BA930BBAF0B (resized).jpeg

There are 6,234 posts in this topic. You are on page 60 of 125.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spoilers-star-wars-the-last-jedi-is-really-bad-spoilers/page/60?hl=oshara and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.