Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,239 posts
  • 311 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 38 hours ago by PanzerFreak
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi was...”

• garbage, the worst of the main films 243 votes
      34%
    • decent, better than the prequels 251 votes
      35%
    • really good, on par with the originals 80 votes
      11%
    • great! one of the best 80 votes
      11%
    • who cares, star wars sucks 55 votes
      8%

(709 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

scioli (resized).jpg
    ss1-trapped (resized).jpg
    fantastic_four_1961_48_3 (resized).jpg
    d0c0aa785c9ed124 (resized).jpeg
    b881ebbaf721aff4 (resized).jpeg
    1 (56) (resized).JPG
    the-acolyte-databank-feature-article-feature_536e2878 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1dd86362581cee58daeaeaef82eb6037 (resized).jpg
    the-acolyte-teaser-poster_506fd466 (resized).jpeg
    1 (resized).jpg
    2 (resized).jpg
    3 (resized).jpg
    6aw3vw8uep501 (resized).jpg
    GGtWnNMWMAAWx0I (resized).png
    nickcole1 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,239 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 125.
    #2551 5 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

I watched Solo on a flight. Some people said it wasn't bad, I have to tell you it was bad. I swear I'm not being biased. I thought Ron Howard would at least make it decent but poor guy got handed an impossible assignment. Talk about miscasting, from Ehrenreich to Harrelson (you have to watch him spinning the six shooter laser gun, comical) and even the Vision dude from Avengers....Wow. Now throw in the Marauders storyline which was such a hail mary pass even for SW. I was like damn maybe should've let Rian Johnson help with the script.
    Oh I forgot to add the female robot dialogue was cringe worthy.

Sometimes, when a movie has to be re shot after it's 60% done or whatever? I think it'd be better to just start completely over from square one, I mean throw away everything and re-cast whatever. It would cost 2x (filming 2 movies) but it might be covered at the box-office. Re-filming half a movie is like throwing good money after bad.

Of course that may not have changed anything if they wanted to put in robot love or whatever they felt was needed for their metro- demographic they are among for.

#2552 5 years ago

saw this on moviefone's Instagram

39871810_240083173361074_1951867111940816896_n (resized).jpg39871810_240083173361074_1951867111940816896_n (resized).jpg
    #2553 5 years ago

I finally saw Solo in a way that gave Disney no money and I actually liked it a lot. It didn't really feel like a Star Wars movie and Alden Ehrenreich was worse than Anthony Inguber would have been but overall I enjoyed my time watching it. That just further proves that its failure was due to TLJ, the worst movie of all time.

#2554 5 years ago

Ingruber. Oh what could have been. IDK it was alright I guess, but Ehrenreich & that female robot just ruin it

#2555 5 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

I finally saw Solo in a way that gave Disney no money and I actually liked it a lot. It didn't really feel like a Star Wars movie and Alden Ehrenreich was worse than Anthony Inguber would have been but overall I enjoyed my time watching it. That just further proves that its failure was due to TLJ, the worst movie of all time.

can't argue with that. TLJ ruined the SW franchise so much for me, I don't care to even see any new movie since with the SW name on it. So I doubt i'll ever see solo.

#2556 5 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

... That just further proves that its failure was due to TLJ, the worst movie of all time.

"A Wrinkle in Time" says "Hold my beer!".

#2557 5 years ago

there is no way it's worse than TLJ. TLJ is almost a text book example how to screw up and make a terrible movie with a high budget.

#2558 5 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Ingruber. Oh what could have been. IDK it was alright I guess, but Ehrenreich & that female robot just ruin it

It could been good, if the script was good to begin with, but Lawrence Kasdan and son...arrgh. I think he was a great writer in his prime but now he just wants to make money. And his son, i must say fell far from the tree. We need SW lovers to take over this ailing franchise. So many possibilities. I would love a story about a outcast Jedi, someone disavowed by the Jedi order for some reason, fighting the empire in the outer rim, a sort of new Han Solo. I know what they'll say, it's just rehash of a beloved character, my answer would be a space opera or any decent yarn needs a good hero.

OT: Check out this artist, he's good. I wish we had a few more people like this guy in the hobby.

0864333c017e550d09471ae403ced98a (resized).jpg0864333c017e550d09471ae403ced98a (resized).jpgofficial_solo___a_star_wars_story_poster_by_markraats-dcaz6l1 (resized).jpgofficial_solo___a_star_wars_story_poster_by_markraats-dcaz6l1 (resized).jpg

#2559 5 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

"A Wrinkle in Time" says "Hold my beer!".

In a vacuum are there worse movies? TONS. Did any of those crap movies ruin the best movie franchise of all time? NOPE. Only TLJ did that.

#2560 5 years ago

So they said a bunch of vocal minority of fans can't make Disney change direction.....well, here's your proof that we can.
    Also significant in the interview is the fact he mentions Weiss and Benioff's trilogy but not Rian Johnson's. I think they know if they want to make money they better distance themselves from that moron.

https://movieweb.com/star-wars-movie-release-backlash-bob-iger/

#2561 5 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

So they said a bunch of vocal minority of fans can't make Disney change direction.....well, here's your proof that we can.

its because its a vocal majority that they are trying to hid by calling it the minority imo

its lines like this that prove they still dont get it:
    "Solo was doomed at the box office from the start because Star Wars fatigue had already set in."

no, fatigue is not the issue...

#2562 5 years ago

Yeah, from that article they still don't get it.

It's amazing that the company responsible for several successful MCU movies every year is still trying to claim "Star Wars fatigue" is the problem.

#2563 5 years ago
    Quoted from racer_x:

Yeah, from that article they still don't get it.
    It's amazing that the company responsible for several successful MCU movies every year is still trying to claim "Star Wars fatigue" is the problem.

Do you really expect Disney to admit the movies were dog crap?

#2564 5 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Also significant in the interview is the fact he mentions Weiss and Benioff's trilogy but not Rian Johnson's. I think they know if they want to make money they better distance themselves from that moron.
    https://movieweb.com/star-wars-movie-release-backlash-bob-iger/

That story irritates me because it is yet again promoting the idea that it is simple fatigue and not a want of quality that has tanked the franchise.

Americans never get tired of anything in the entertainment world, so long as it is quality. TLJ was a low quality movie and hit the fantasy driven franchise square in the mouth because it hurt its methos and was so inconsistent and couldn’t deliver on a story thread it was given. The fact that it insulted Luke was just icing on the cake for it’s Legacy.

#2565 5 years ago

This guy completely sums it up for me. He articulates exactly why Star Wars fans have abandoned the franchise.

#2566 5 years ago

I watched Tron Legacy last night, and I couldn't help but think how great that movie was compared to the recent Star Wars movies. And to think they halted another Tron movie because of Star Wars.

Tron Legacy is a actually a pretty good film.

#2567 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinSinner:

his guy completely sums it up for me. He articulates exactly why Star Wars fans have abandoned the franchise

great video! Nail on the head for me, in many respects anyway.

Quoted from Methos:

watched Tron Legacy last night, and I couldn't help but think how great that movie was compared to the recent Star Wars movies. And to think they halted another Tron movie because of Star Wars.
    Tron Legacy is a actually a pretty good film.

I thought Tron Legacy was phenomenal. Great story telling driven by a strong father/son story arch. The movie just made sense.

#2568 5 years ago

Tron 3 got put on ice after Tomorrowland tanked (a studio would consider those the same genre)

Had nothing to do with Star Wars.

#2569 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinSinner:

This guy completely sums it up for me. He articulates exactly why Star Wars fans have abandoned the franchise.

I don't know, he makes some good points, some really poor ones. I also think he contradicted himself a few times, I don't think KK and RJ are racist. I just think the head of the film studio is a woman with male issues, and the story group is comprised of mostly woman who either agree with KK or are trying to cater to her whims. I also think RJ was a wimp who tried to get her on good side with all the SJW stuff. I don't agree with the fascist or racist remarks, again it was the product of company culture setup by the woman at the top....that's all.

#2570 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinSinner:

I haven’t watched the video, but to keep it from turning into a total circle jerk in here, he should have gone with an end-date of 1999.

#2571 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Tron Legacy was phenomenal. Great story telling driven by a strong father/son story arch. The movie just made sense.

And the sound track was amazing!

#2572 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Tron 3 got put on ice after Tomorrowland tanked (a studio would consider those the same genre)

Google says you are correct. I had originally heard that the Star Wars films was were Disney was going to use it's $ for. Tomorrowland? What the hell was that?

As for "Star Wars burn out" as the reason for weak TLJ reviews/box, do you really think they are going to say "We fucked it all up"?

Nope.

#2573 5 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Google says you are correct. I had originally heard that the Star Wars films was were Disney was going to use it's $ for. Tomorrowland? What the hell was that?
    As for "Star Wars burn out" as the reason for weak TLJ reviews/box, do you really think they are going to say "We fucked it all up"?
    Nope.

Yeah, Tron gets shelved but "355" an all female spy movie resulted in a bidding war at Cannes....30 deals for different territories closed in one week. Haha.

https://www.slashfilm.com/355-movie-first-look-details/

#2575 5 years ago

OT: I got my mind blown by a movie today. If you all ever want to see a movie with no studio or mainstream constraints check out "Mandy" I don't even know how to freaking categorize it, horror, fantasy or sci-fi, it doesn't matter, to me it was like a graphic novel come to life. Lol, it was weird and awesome. I recommend it, but remember this is not a mainstream movie, this is straight up art house...ala David lynch in the 90's stuff. Nicolas Cage hasn't been unleashed like this since Vampire's Kiss.

#2576 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinSinner:

exactly right. My exact same thoughts on the James Gunn situation. Make some off color jokes 10 years ago and everyone turns their back on you? Get fawked, is the way I look at it.

#2577 5 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

OT: I got my mind blown by a movie today. If you all ever want to see a movie with no studio or mainstream constraints check out "Mandy" I don't even know how to freaking categorize it, horror, fantasy or sci-fi, it doesn't matter, to me it was like a graphic novel come to life. Lol, it was weird and awesome. I recommend it, but remember this is not a mainstream movie, this is straight up art house...ala David lynch in the 90's stuff. Nicolas Cage hasn't been unleashed like this since Vampire's Kiss.

I've heard great things about it. Saw the trailer a couple weeks ago & it looks surreal. And Mac from Predator is in it too? Haven't seen him in a movie since the 80s. Def will watch this month.

#2578 5 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

exactly right. My exact same thoughts on the James Gunn situation. Make some off color jokes 10 years ago and everyone turns their back on you? Get fawked, is the way I look at it.

I think just about everyone who actually read the " off color jokes" agrees that they are, at the very least, troubling and offensive. I mean - they aren't even jokes I don't think *anyone* would actually laugh at. And most wouldn't even say they are jokes if you read them - there's no punchline, just random comments about pedophilia, rape, and even a link to a video about preteen girls touching themselves. I think one thing everyone can agree on - there's no way this guy would ever be allowed alone with your children if you were given these tweets - even if it was 50 years ago. Take away the fact he was a famous director, and I think he'd be fired from just about any job if they came across his prior tweets. And no parent would ever let anyone who said those things near their children. It was a very tough position for Disney to be in.

#2579 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Disney won't do anything with Tron anymore. Another studio should approach them for the rights as there's still a lot of story to be told on the Grid.

#2580 5 years ago
    Quoted from Eryeal:

I think just about everyone who actually read the " off color jokes" agrees that they are, at the very least, troubling and offensive. I mean - they aren't even jokes I don't think *anyone* would actually laugh at. And most wouldn't even say they are jokes if you read them - there's no punchline, just random comments about pedophilia, rape, and even a link to a video about preteen girls touching themselves. I think one thing everyone can agree on - there's no way this guy would ever be allowed alone with your children if you were given these tweets - even if it was 50 years ago. Take away the fact he was a famous director, and I think he'd be fired from just about any job if they came across his prior tweets. And no parent would ever let anyone who said those things near their children. It was a very tough position for Disney to be in.

tosh.0 makes jokes like that all the time and he's still funny.

#2581 5 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I've heard great things about it. Saw the trailer a couple weeks ago & it looks surreal. And Mac from Predator is in it too? Haven't seen him in a movie since the 80s. Def will watch this month.

Here is Mr. Plinkett himself critiquing the movie,I guess the David Lynch homage was easy to spot.
    Be careful....the other dude, blurts out major plot points, so don't watch it past the 7 minute mark if you plan on watching it later.

#2582 5 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

I just watched the trailer for Mandy. It looks disturbing. I like it.

#2583 5 years ago

i didnt even realize SOLO came out on dvd but i saw it at the store yesterday

the display was pretty full

#2584 5 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

i didnt even realize SOLO came out on dvd but i saw it at the store yesterday
    the display was pretty full

Came out on Tuesday the 25th. I got my copy, I didn't see it theaters. I watched it last night, it was a lot better then I expected.

#2585 5 years ago
    Quoted from henrydwh:

Came out on Tuesday the 25th. I got my copy, I didn't see it theaters. I watched it last night, it was a lot better then I expected.

You’re ruining the boycott.

#2586 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

You’re ruining the boycott.

Tough crowd lol, I just got the standard DVD didn't even splurge for the blu-ray with all the extras!

#2587 5 years ago

Meh it's watchable tho. I'd put it behind the prequels but ahead of the new trilogy garbage. I realize that's not saying much, but the story isn't that bad. Had some good action (and Chewbacca). I suspect it will grow on me over time like the prequels have. Not stellar films at all, but they have their good moments.

The most frequent comment about Solo seems to be "Better than I thought", "Not as bad as I expected", etc etc

#2589 5 years ago

Absolutely stunning news. it's hard to believe but they don't get it, wait till they see the BO returns on ep 9. They will get it then.

#2590 5 years ago

Because SJW always double down.

Like communists, somehow it will work next time if we just try harder.

#2591 5 years ago

http://www.scifiwright.com/2018/07/the-last-straw-01-star-wars-anonymous/

John C. Wright who is a SUPERB Sci-Fi writer takes on The Last Jedi, not sure how I missed this one.

He approaches the subject as a writer, not a film maker and covers it well.

EDIT.

Seriously, don't be eating breakfast while reading this, mine almost ended up all over the computer screen.

========================================================

Meanwhile, in a rare moment of logic, Hotshot pilot deduces that if Mopey entered the escape-proof base, there must be an open escape exit somewhere. It is a false deduction, because Mopey is a projection, and never actually entered the base.

But then they find an opening anyway! For no reason!

And it is blocked! For no reason!

But it is only blocked by big rocks, and they are military men sitting on a pile of highly explosive ordnance, energy weapons, and aviation fuel, and so they could blast through the blockage in short order.

Or they could ask Leia Poppins to float down to this part of the base and wave her hand and have happy children, while singing Just a Spoonful of Sugar, lift and float the rocks away while cheerful cartoon penguins perform many an antic jig. The wind picks up, the chimneysweeps wave goodbye, and she uses her new found supergirl powers to ascend into heaven and assume geostationary orbit above the planet. She has the ghost of Yoda tucked under one arm like a football, and he blasts the Imperial battleships out of the sky in a trice with lightning bolts.

HAHAHA.

#2592 5 years ago

https://www.cosmicbooknews.com/rian-johnson-star-wars-not-happen

Interesting speculation.

Lucasfilm is developing feature projects from Game of Thrones creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, as well as a potential trilogy from Rian Johnson, the filmmaker behind Last Jedi. Johnson, however, is currently prepping to shoot a detective thriller that is to star Daniel Craig.

The info follows Disney CEO Bob Iger recently stating they are putting the brakes on any new Star Wars movies, which corroborates what LucasFilm production designer Neil Lamont had to say prior to Iger's comments.

Lamont said he was working on a new Star Wars movie that got placed on the backburner, which sounded a lot like the Rian Johnson Star Wars movie.

While the future of Rian Johnson's Star Wars Trilogy is unknown, the recent news confirms no new Star War movies are currently in the works, and also that Johnson is now working on a different movie.

#2593 5 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Absolutely stunning news. it's hard to believe but they don't get it, wait till they see the BO returns on ep 9. They will get it then.

Maybe no one else was willing to put their head on the block. After The Last Jedi that is a steep hill to climb to try and clean up the mess.

"Again since JJ wouldn’t take it, and apparently no one else would either, Kathleen Kennedy has re-upped for 3 more years at #StarWars. How do you feel? — Grace Randolph (@GraceRandolph) September 29, 2018"

#2594 5 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

I don't understand this, is there no one else that would take the job?

#2595 5 years ago

They should have hired Lucas like when Apple brought Steve Jobs back.

#2596 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I don't understand this, is there no one else that would take the job?

Correct- And if the next episode crashes and burns KK gets the blame would be my guess.

Who would want the job? As the link I just posted from John C. Write illustrates from a story writing perspective round head Johnson has literately left the next person no where to go story wise while simultaneously taking a steaming dump on the fans who were invested in the series.

#2597 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

They should have hired Lucas like when Apple brought Steve Jobs back.

Lucas like (Gene Roddenberry after Star Trek) is tapped out creatively... and he just might know it.

With 4 billion in the bank and Disney making his Episode 1-3 efforts look good in comparison... I'd ride off into the sunset just as fast as my ride could take me.

#2598 5 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Correct- And if the next episode crashes and burns KK gets the blame would be my guess.
    Who would want the job? As the link I just posted from John C. Write illustrates from a story writing perspective round head Johnson has literately left the next person no where to go story wise while simultaneously taking a steaming dump on the fans who were invested in the series.

I have two observations

1) casual fans don't hate the movies, my wife saw all 4 of the new movies in the theatre and liked them and she will like the Disney Theme park. My kids love Avatar world and have never even seen the movie.

2) if TLJ is a dead end, they could just reboot that film (entirely re made with none of the SJW aspects) and re-release the movie. Probably do a billion just out of curiosity. They can let Lea die early on and let Luke take a bigger role cut out a lot of the dumb scenes and characters. Then film 9 can have a chance to be worthwhile.

#2599 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I have two observations
    1) casual fans don't hate the movies, my wife saw all 4 of the new movies in the theatre and liked them and she will like the Disney Theme park. My kids love Avatar world and have never even seen the movie.
    2) if TLJ is a dead end, they could just reboot that film (entirely re made with none of the SJW aspects) and re-release the movie. Probably do a billion just out of curiosity. They can let Lea die early on and let Luke take a bigger role. Then film 9 can have a chance to be worthwhile.

1) I can't really answer this one, most of the people I know who saw it hated it or at best were disappointed by it. My daughter who is a fan fiction writer was bitterly disappointed it was so bad. If a 17 year old girl who participates in online fan writing is stating it was a disappointment... For the record she thought TFA was just ok, good spectacle she said. JJ can do that I give him.

2) Disney will not admit they made an error and re-boot. They can't even admit the movie was weak sauce! Still blaming it on too many movies released in a period (ignoring Marvel successes) and "toxic fandom"

Speaking on Marvel... People I listen to tell me Captain Marvel might be the weakest entry yet, we will see when it comes out. Lot of rumbling going on there.

#2600 5 years ago

Friend from another board had an interesting analogy- He stated that in this case Disney is like a cargo cult. They had the money to purchase the Star Wars IP but no idea what really made the IP great. They think if they have everyone dress up like Star Wars, wave sabers about and have pretty explosions that no one will notice the SJW ideology that makes up the story line.

But it looks Star Wars, why don't people like it! Nothing but a Star Wars skin suit being paraded around at this point.

"It rubs the lotion on the skin."

There are 6,239 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 125.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spoilers-star-wars-the-last-jedi-is-really-bad-spoilers/page/52?hl=tramd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.