2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,685 posts
  • 285 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by fosaisu
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi was...”

• garbage, the worst of the main films 212 votes
      33%
    • decent, better than the prequels 239 votes
      37%
    • really good, on par with the originals 79 votes
      12%
    • great! one of the best 74 votes
      11%
    • who cares, star wars sucks 43 votes
      7%

(647 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 297 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

684d93fd754d9819 (resized).png
    Carrie Fisher (resized).jpg
    starwarsgarbage-1 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200205-020016_Chrome (resized).jpg
    e125246d7cffebcb (resized).jpg
    hand (resized).jpeg
    20 (resized).png
    19 (resized).png
    18 (resized).jpg
    17 (resized).jpg
    16 (resized).jpg
    15 (resized).jpg
    14 (resized).jpg
    13 (resized).jpg
    12 (resized).jpg
    11 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4685 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 94.
    #201 2 years ago

Also...agree. "Mark Hamill Hurts". This sucks, you can tell he wanted something much different for Luke. He wanted to give the fans what they wanted.

#202 2 years ago

John williams score was brilliant, definitely the hilight for me.

#203 2 years ago

I saw it again tonight. I enjoyed it more the second time!

#204 2 years ago

(edited) Why the f**k would you post a title like that before most people have seen it? Keep it neutral.

Whole family just enjoyed it, if you hated it cool, but ffs what a shitty thing to do.

#205 2 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

I saw it again tonight. I enjoyed it more the second time!

Good to hear. I want to see it a second time and see if it changes how I feel about the movie.

#206 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

"Mark Hamill Hates The Last Jedi" lol
    » YouTube video

What a horribly edited video. Unwatchable.

#207 2 years ago

I thought it was pretty entertaining. I took it for what it is. I would have been more excited but my tastes have changed, in movies.

I enjoyed it and would see it again. Very Sunday morning cinema. Like today.

There were some cool moments for me and some head scratchers. Over all entertaining.

I thought the cantina was a miss. Potential for aliens was there. Like the first movie. Even the music was cantina.

The cantina of my youth was filled with these unique creatures. You know.

Also, I like b del toro but I may have skipped him in casting. Just me, I think he dominates a scene now. He's pretty well known. (Too well known?)

#208 2 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

That is the worst explaination attempted I've seen. Gravity is not an up/down thing - it's a force vector towards something. If you want to say it was gravity, going AWAY from your center doesn't create a PUSH. Gravity is a vector towards the mass.. so going out the 'other side' means the vector points the other way.
    The only thing that makes sense is the idea the bombs are 'pushed' - but that's not the sense that is setup with the whole thing trying to mimic a WWII bombing run. And I guess there is some force field that is keeping the interior of the ship intact?
    Quoted from Astropin:

What are you going on about? The ship with the bombs had gravity. When they release them they are going to "fall" out of the bomb doors due to that gravitational force. Did you not see her fall from the upper deck to the lower deck inside the bomb hanger? She then had to kick the remote from the edge of the upper deck so it would "fall" to her....just like the bombs would fall out the doors once released.

Once they travel out the doors they will continue on the same path at the same speed until they hit something.

#209 2 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I’m only posting here to say that I think you’re a giant asshole for this thread title. Why the fuck would you post a title like that before most people have seen it? Keep it neutral.
    Whole family just enjoyed it, if you hated it cool, but ffs what a shitty thing to do.

Having an opinion different than you makes me an asshole?

Lots of people have agreed with me and lots of people have disagreed with me in this thread but no one has personally attacked people for their opinion.

Really lame.

#210 2 years ago

Movie was great, had a lot of funny parts. Seen it twice. The 3d version was awesome

#211 2 years ago

If you want an alternative outcome for Star Wars after Return of the Jedi, give the Timothy Zahn trilogy a read. I read these when they came out in the 90's, they FEEL LIKE STAR WARS!! No gimmicks or Disney Magic or jarjar.

image.jpeg

Heir to the Empire (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, Vol. 1)
    amazon.com link »

Dark Force Rising (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, Vol. 2)
    amazon.com link »

The Last Command (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy)
    amazon.com link »

#212 2 years ago

The more I think about it, the more I prefer the Star Wars Holiday Special over the Last Jedi.B07B2C39-5F43-4BCE-B965-944FD0C97B5B (resized).jpeg

#213 2 years ago

Maybe im in the minority here, but thought it was a good SW movie.
    I like how Luke went out. He's level Yoda, and I would have been pissed if Kylo or Snoke killed Luke.
    The Force Awakens is just a macro over the original 77 film. I enjoyed not being able to predict how TLJ would go.

#214 2 years ago
    Quoted from Stones:

I like how Luke went out. He's level Yoda, and I would have been pissed if Kylo or Snoke killed Luke.
    The Force Awakens is just a macro over the original 77 film. I enjoyed not being able to predict how TLJ would go.

Completely agree with Stones...we had already seen Luke battle with the emporer. We also didn’t need to see a rehash of obi one dying. His ending needed to be different.

#215 2 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Lots of people have agreed with me and lots of people have disagreed with me in this thread but no one has personally attacked people for their opinion.
    Really lame.

Aurich has thought himself a cut above the rest for a while now. Just like his art... lame.

Totally agree. This is a good thread to debate this movie. No need need for personal name calling like Aurich thinks he has the right to do. He obviously still has a few loyal followers lol... even more lame.

My point is though this movie, if it was good, wouldnt be getting the debate or genersting the discussion that it is. Its clearly not that good or this just wouldnt be happening on the scale it is.

#216 2 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I've seen the movie the same number of times as you and I had zero problems getting it. It wasn't subtle, they outright say it in the dialogue to Poe.

Exaclty... good ol in your face exposition. Made famous in the prequels.

You're obviously a lot brighter than me. Im still working out what the hell was the whole point of finding luke on the island. I wont teach you, ok i will, na i wont, yeah i will heres a 2 minute lesson (with a dumb joke thrown in), na im too pissed off no more lessons. Lol what a joke.

#217 2 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

What are you going on about? The ship with the bombs had gravity.

All objects with mass have gravitational attraction forces - and behave like I mentioned. The difference is what you are arguing is not gravity, but an artificial gravity that exists inside Star Wars ships... which doesn't actually follow any physics.. it's just there. And even following that... the bombs drop out of the ship in about 2 seconds... which means going about 20meters/sec... or otherwise known as...pretty damn slow.

Pretty much everything in Star Wars doesn't follow physics... so it's not something new. Like blasters you can dodge, etc. It was just on high profile in TLJ where they put some new tricks of it in the spotlight. Like the ships coming out of hyperspace making booms on the planet... the whole bomber run.. Leia's dumb flight...etc. none of Star Wars passes any plausible sci-fi explanation... just this time they went into "oh come on..." territory where is was painful.

#218 2 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Felt this when "ghost" yoda showed up, rolling around with his feet in the air laughing as well. OMG, are you fawking kidding me? At some points it seemed like an SNL skit.

Yeah...because classic Yoda was so serious. He wasn't goofy at all.

#219 2 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

If you want an alternative outcome for Star Wars after Return of the Jedi, give the Timothy Zahn trilogy a read.

The Grand Admiral for the win! Been a long time since I read them but remember great storytelling.

#220 2 years ago
    Quoted from racer_x:

The problem with these sequels and TLJ in particular is that Disney seems to think they need to rewrite the rules that have been laid down for the SW galaxy of the course of 7 films (counting R1). If TLJ had been half as concerned with telling a coherent story as it was with upending SW tropes the would have knocked it out of the park. Instead we get stuff like floating space Leia and Rey, who is able to add whatever untrained Force power at will to advance the plot. New characters to bring in new fans is fine...but there are rules laid down in the galaxy far, far away. Ignore them and feel our nerd wrath.
    Side note...just because you're introducing new characters doesn't mean the old ones need to be brought back just to be killed off.

1) Disney is pandering to a different audience.. and it isn't star wars fans.

2) They want the older actors gone so they can be replaced with cheaper, younger models. Not surprised they are going to move them along quickly if it serves the story or not. They even killed Ackabar, a guy in a suit for Pete's sake!

In the end, Disney will kill the franchise because if you turn it into a generic space movie with flat characters and bad writing with no consistency why bother going? See Terminator, Aliens, Predator franchises.

I'm somewhat hopeful that now that Cameron has the Terminator franchise back the next one will be a cut above the rest... but not holding my breath.

Glad to hear about Blade Runner, the original is an old favorite that takes a few viewings to fully appreciate and I heard the new version was good. I'll pick it up when it comes out on BR.

Gary

#221 2 years ago
    Quoted from Stones:

Yyeesss in the minority you are but not for your thoughts on Luke’s ending. Look he was never going to get killed by snoke or Kylo regardless of what rendition they came up with. That part I liked..... But the movie as a whole sucked. Bad storytelling and disjointed subplots that didn’t develop these shallow characters. The 2nd act... garbage.

Force awakens was a seemless transition of smooth storytelling that was brilliantly paced and entertaining. Originality doesn’t always make for a better movie. Yeah Johnson’s vision is quite unique but it was off and simply didn’t fit. That part stands out like the proverbial. Even the initial space battle was sub par. The fighter battles and millennium falcon chase in force awakens is breathtaking. What did we get here? A horse race through a town. Wtf lol

#222 2 years ago

Apologies if i missed this point somewhere in the posts. I enjoyed the movie (old SW fan), but had some issues.

I did just have one burning question, Why didn't anyone in the empire ships just jump to light speed to get ahead of the republic and stomp them? I assume plot/tension but maybe i missed an explanation in the movie.

Thanks

#223 2 years ago
    Quoted from KerryD:

I did just have one burning question, Why didn't anyone in the empire ships just jump to light speed to get ahead of the republic and stomp them?
    Thanks

Yup that was noticed too.

Here is a hilarious video done by Star Wars fans, well worth the 58 minute watch and far more entertaining than the movie they are reviewing.

#224 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Here is a hilarious video done by Star Wars fans, well worth the 58 minute watch and far more entertaining than the movie they are reviewing.
    » YouTube video

I just came here to post that. These guys are the heroes we deserve.

#225 2 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

So you spent $10+ to go to the movies (with your family) and ended up going into the lobby because it sucked, to surf pinside and snap a disgust selfie?
    Alright.

Yes, because if I would have wanted to see Ice Pirates 2 then I would have done just that.
    This new Star Wars movie is an embarrassment, one that I was not willing to watch in its entirety.
    This movie started to have crater sized dimples 10 minutes in....

My 6 and 10 year old kids loved it, on the other hand. But they loved the Spongebob Movie, as well....

#226 2 years ago
    Quoted from racer_x:

I just came here to post that. These guys are the heroes we deserve.

I'm waiting for the Razorfist review, should be epic.

#227 2 years ago

Having a different opinion doesn’t make you an asshole. Declaring in the title of this thread that the movie is “really bad” is definitely an asshole thing to do.

I read the title of this thread the morning before I went to watch the film. This title primed me into thinking that it sucked even before I had a chance to form my own opinion. I avoided this thread until after I saw the movie, and I disagree your assessment.

If you had a neutral title on your thread it would allow people an unbiased place to discuss the film. But because you proclaimed that it’s “really bad” before anyone had a chance to view it, you’ve sent the message that anyone that thinks the movie is good is just wrong.

You wanted this thread to be a Star Wars bashing thread not a open discussion on peoples views.

So I agree with Aurich. The wording of the thread title could have been different and not so polarizing

#228 2 years ago

Did anyone see an Y-wing or B-wing? I spotted an A-wing and X-wing, but why no Y or B in in TLJ?

#229 2 years ago

No, but knowing what spoilers are and using the thread title you did does.

#230 2 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

No, but knowing what spoilers are and using the thread title you did does.

Just publicly citing something is bad (an individuals opinion) doesn't make one an asshole or even a spoiler.

I hate peas. My wife loves peas. I hate peas so bad we make jokes about it. My wife despises Brussel sprouts. Guess what, I think they are great. We make jokes about that too.

Just because I hate peas doesn't make me an asshole anymore than my wife hating Brussel sprouts make her a bitch.

If you were predisposed to like the new Star Wars movie you could have just ignored the thread.

I have to do it all the time on the four movie sites I visit daily. I like the background about how movies are made, the process if you will but I'm on constant guard to back out if there is a possible spoiler for a movie I might like.

Did you look at sites were the reviewers agreed with your point of view?

Were you critical of them as well?

#231 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

If you were predisposed to like the new Star Wars movie you could have just ignored the thread.

The point is you can't ignore the thread title in a place where you don't expect to see a movie review.

I saw the thread pop up before I could make it to the theater. I had avoided all other sources and movie sites in order to go in with 0 expectataions.

But the OP ruined that, and his opinion in my mind the rest of the day.

He knew enough to put *SPOILERS* in the title but was still self-absorbed enough he had to tell everyone his own opinion before we got to see the movie.

#232 2 years ago

Hahahaahah

#233 2 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

But the OP ruined that, and his opinion in my mind the rest of the day.

I have difficulty wrapping my head around the thought of you giving so much weight to a random individuals opinion about this movie it would ruin your movie going experience.

#234 2 years ago
    Quoted from PaulCoff:

The more I think about it, the more I prefer the Star Wars Holiday Special over the Last Jedi.
    » YouTube video

But do you have the DVD?

Hahaha!

Han and Chewie sitting in office chairs in the Falcon's cockpit and Carrie Fisher coked out of here mind was awesome.

DSCN8789 (resized).JPG

swhs_falcon (resized).jpeg

#235 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

» YouTube video

This was a hilarious video. I still enjoyed the movie from the entertainment aspect, but the video had a lot of great points that if addressed would have made the movie so much better.

Thanks again!

#236 2 years ago
    Quoted from KerryD:

but the video had a lot of great points that if addressed would have made the movie so much better.

Which makes you wonder about the people in charge of a multi-billion dollar franchise.

Who green lit this mess of a script? They could have gotten a pack of Star Wars geeks to proof it for free and come up with a more consistent movie.

#237 2 years ago

Wow for so many years Lucas did pretty good clamping down that holiday special. For so long I have had one of those horrid downloaded copies that's a tape of a tape of a tape, so blurred you can barely see it. But the internet wins, and now you can see it in really good picture quality right here.

#238 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I have difficulty wrapping my head around the thought of you giving so much weight to a random individuals opinion about this movie it would ruin your movie going experience.

Didn’t ruin it, it was just rude as someone else also pointed out.

#239 2 years ago

The overall theme of the movie seems to surround "killing the past" as Kylo said. So the director and Disney choose to upend everything. Forget everything that JJ Abrams built in The Force Awakens. JJ did a great job of bringing old and new characters together in the first film. The Last Jedi ruins that and other then Poe none of the characters feel like they matured / grew. The new characters seemed more interesting in The Force Awakens then they do in The Last Jedi. Then they decided to make Luke not the Luke that you remembered, and end of killing him.

At this point I expect Episode 9 to kill off Leia (sadly will happen as Carrie Fisher has passed away), kill Chewie, and destroy the Falcon. I'll guess that C3P0 and R2D2 are the only survivors of the original trilogy. Heck just destroy them too while at it.

Disney is killing off all of the original cast to make room for new characters (and toys! queue progs) and it's backfired as they chose to go about it in a really bad way. Rey now isn't as interesting as Luke, Finn isn't as interesting as Han, Snoke was interesting but now dead.

Literally everything that Episode 7 did so well and setup is ruined in The Last Jedi.

Rant over.

#240 2 years ago

I have seen every Star Wars movie in the theater starting with the original back in 1977, I mean it was the cultural cornerstone of my youth and I was so excited to see more movies in the saga. The OP hit on a lot of my issues with the film; the introduction of things like hyperspace travel destroying a huge ship, Force powers that were never even hinted at prior, forced comedy, needless scenes... My biggest issue with the film the utter destruction of the Luke Skywalker I grew up with. I understand that we live in a new era, that many peoples heroes are being exposed for vile acts and the troubled anti-hero is the new norm but to apply this new dynamic to Luke was just too much.

They took a character who eagerly rescued the princess in ANH, who rushed to face the scariest man in the galaxy to save his friends in ESB, who GAVE HIMSELF UP in RotJ to save his father into someone who was so unlike that character as to be unrecognizable. To hear the Han had died, that the galaxy was overrun with evil, that his sister was in danger and still refusing to do anything was just depressing to me. I really want George Lucas' original trilogy to be adapted and published at some point (like they did with the comic adaptation of his first draft of Star Wars) to see what he originally was going to do. Mark Hamill has dropped hints that the first movie would have had the core trio back in action, the second film would have seen Han die in the opening scenes and new characters introduced while the third movie would have been focused on the new characters while Luke & Leia were just supporting cameos.

I know they are not making these new movies for me and my 12 year old son loved the new movie, but when I left the theater after seeing RotJ as a boy in 1983 I could not wait to see Luke back in action once again. I waited over thirty years to see a Luke who did not care about those he loved in the original trilogy and that was most certainly NOT worth the wait.

#241 2 years ago

Not sure but I feel like thowing an all caps *SPOILERS* caption then seeing the word STAR if you were that worried about some random dudes opinion on it that you would just not read the rest of the title or click on the thread?

I managed to not see a single trailer or read anything about the movie prior to it's release. I pretty much stayed off the internet the whole day before it came out.

I am sorry if my title somehow ruined the experience for you, that was not the intention.

The thing is, this movie crushed my love and hope for the franchise and that is why I wrote the title the way I did.

I think I've shown I'm here for discussion as someone pointed out that I am not...

I made a poll where 3 of the 4 relevant options are for the movie being better than my view point. If I was just shoving my opinion down everyone's throat and not care about their view I would not have done that.

I've asked people who liked it questions to perhaps see their view. Some people have answered others can't answer, perhaps because the plot holes are too deep.

What I don't get is that Rian takes this and sh&+s on what JJ did (regardless if it was good or bad), then they are giving it back to JJ for episode 9? Weird.

#242 2 years ago

What I don't get is that Rian takes this and sh&+s on what JJ did, then they are giving it back to JJ for episode 9? Weird.

More concerning is that Rian Johnson is going to be writer/director of the next trilogy.

#243 2 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

saw it again tonight. I enjoyed it more the second time!

Me too. I think what bothered me the first time is that they threw out all the stuff TFA setup. But I guess the point is that the rebellion is starting over and a new era of Jedi is beginning. Plus the whole movie is about how you deal with failure. Still think the Finn and Rose subplot sucks, though.

I am really curious where they go with the next movie. I think it will have to do a time jump, like 10 years from TLJ . That way the rebellion has had time to grow and rebuild (as well as the first order). And they'll just kill Leah off in the crawl saying she has died in the interval. Maybe it will begin with the funeral. Kinda sucks that she'll die off screen, but that's the only way I can see it. I mean how can the rebellion just be 40 people against the first orde?

#244 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If everybody hates these movies so much why do they keep seeing 'em?
    Hell I'm one to talk. They haven't made a good Terminator movie in 25 years and I still go.

The only good Terminator movies were 1 and 2, but I keep seeing them as well along with the Star Trek and Star Wars and the X-Men, Spider-Man, and even that horrible Fantastic Four. You hope they will be good even though you know they will not.

#245 2 years ago
    Quoted from Matesamo:

More concerning is that Rian Johnson is going to be writer/director of the next trilogy

I know...horrible. I think they could still pull him out. I’m just baffled that Disney thinks they put out a top quality product with TLJ and want the same director as the future of the franchise.

Disney needs to consult someone with some measure of talent on scripts and plots, maybe see if they can get George R.R. Martin to give them an idea or two, because Johnson has nothing but “fly the Leia”.

#246 2 years ago

I'm just waiting for them to release the original three in 3D!

#247 2 years ago

It really felt like the final movie of the trilogy, not the middle film. AotC had the start of the Clone War to get fans excited, ESB had the Han Solo issue and the Vader is Luke's Father question to keep interest but this one seemed to answer all the questions without really introducing any new ones. All that remains of the resistance is a couple dozen soldiers and the rest of the galaxy refused to help even with Leia's personnel plea, it will be interesting to see what they come up with for the next film.

#248 2 years ago

I'm just glad we didn't have the internet to over analyze the original movies when they came out and we got to just enjoy them.

The last jedi wasn't my favorite star wars movie by any means, but it was fun. My only real complaint was the fairly pointless Finn/Rose subplot. If they go to all the trouble of bringing them to a casino world without it really serving the plot, how did they not manage to bring back Billy Dee Williams for that scene?

#249 2 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

The only good Terminator movies were 1 and 2, but I keep seeing them as well along with the Star Trek and Star Wars and the X-Men, Spider-Man, and even that horrible Fantastic Four. You hope they will be good even though you know they will not.

I generally agree, but there is something about the Terminator movies that keeps me in. Guilty pleasures - I still like rewatching even T3 and Salvation once in a while, even Genisys.

Star Wars, anything after the original trilogy is a no. Randomly flipping channels this weekend Phantom Menace was on TV so I watched it for a bit. What a mess.

Star Trek, anything after II is a no.

Aliens, anything after 2 is a no.

Prometheus is a great example of what you said. Several times I have thought to myself, lets try that again, hoping it will be good. Nope. It sucks. As did Covenant.

#250 2 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

I generally agree, but there is something about the Terminator movies that keeps me in. Guilty pleasures - I still like rewatching even T3 and Salvation once in a while, even Genisys.

Look up "Terminator 3 The Coming Storm fan edit" there is an excellent version out there with a lot of the stupid bits edited out.

Amazing times when people can cut and paste edits in a movie with excellent quality.

BTW there is also Blue-Ray quality version of the first star wars movie without the Lucas "enhancements"

My kids saw the version where Han shot first dammit.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    The GameRoom Store
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 99.00
    € 9.10
    $ 99.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Sales
    € 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 58.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    DBC Pinball
    $ 50.00
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 115.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Merf's Pins
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 159.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball Pimp
    There are 4685 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 94.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside