2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,552 posts
  • 284 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by gdonovan
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi was...”

• garbage, the worst of the main films 209 votes
      33%
    • decent, better than the prequels 237 votes
      37%
    • really good, on par with the originals 78 votes
      12%
    • great! one of the best 72 votes
      11%
    • who cares, star wars sucks 42 votes
      7%

(638 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 271 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20200119_132828 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200119_132825 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200119_132741 (resized).jpg
    star-wars-rise-skywalker-concept-art (resized).jpg
    e4824a4daeb9a833 (resized).jpg
    20200114_113738_resized (resized).jpg
    giphy (1).gif
    hqdefault (resized).jpg
    7724E556-621F-4D60-9AD8-567E4415FF5B (resized).png
    PSX_20200103_154101 (resized).jpg
    series-D34-triad (resized).png
    baby (resized).JPG
    tros (resized).jpg
    3e55c913fa4d1d8762fe7d7108b26bd44ac6e57c (resized).png
    Screenshot_20191224-141658~2 (resized).png
    grosss (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4552 posts in this topic. You are on page 49 of 92.
    #2401 1 year ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

You’re the one who continually keeps posting this pedophile conspiracy bullshit.

"James Gunns own tweets" is not a conspiracy.

The matter was dropped till you just posted.

#2402 1 year ago

I look forward to Disney running out of ideas and doing an Avengers / Star Wars cross-over in the not too distant future.

Could Iron Man defeat a Sith Lord?

1_jJkxoMP1xVWZPmTpXV7Fnw (resized).jpeg
    #2403 1 year ago

Tout suite. It’s French.

#2404 1 year ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Tout suite. It’s French.

Thank you!

#2405 1 year ago

Came for the Star Wars, stayed for the French lessons.

#2406 1 year ago

well, when the guy jokes about sodomizing his own child daughter on camera, hes def a creep

video language NSFW

Back to Star Wars:

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1003446/Star-Wars-9-Luke-ghost-alive-First-Jedi-temple-Rey-plot-release-date-theories-JJ-Abrams

speculation of what every real star wars fan wants, more Maz Kanata! lol

speculation that Rey will meet Lukes force ghost back on Ahch-To to "finish her training". what training does she need? she can do anything she wants
    I'm guessing the same fans who bailed on SOLO are also going to bail on episode 9 regardless if it somehow manages to salvage this trilogy.

#2407 1 year ago
    Quoted from okayestpinballer:

I look forward to Disney running out of ideas and doing an Avengers / Star Wars cross-over in the not too distant future.
    Could Iron Man defeat a Sith Lord?[quoted image]

Does Stark have intel on the Dark Lord? Attack with ranged weapons out of saber and force choke range.

Inside 25 feet, give it 50/50 odds. Vader could choke Tony in his suit and I'd assume the suit is not saber resistant.

That is what I would have said before Infinity War, the Iron Man armor there was good enough to go toe to toe with the mad titan so I think Vader loses if Tony is wearing the same.

#2408 1 year ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Tout suite. It’s French.

Almost there. It's "toute de suite".

#2409 1 year ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Came for the Star Wars, stayed for the French lessons.

Actually had a chuckle looking up the phrase.

"This is very often written incorrectly as tout suite. The English have never been comfortable with adopting French terms into English and, compared with Latin phrases say, there aren't as many as we might expect considering how close the two countries are geographically. This ambivalence, and the fact that most English can't actually speak French or even make a decent stab at pronouncing French terms, is the source of the attempts to poke fun at the French by deliberately mispronouncing those French phrases that have made it into English - in this case as toot sweet. "

Who knew?

#2410 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Does Stark have intel on the Dark Lord? Attack with ranged weapons out of saber and force choke range.

Didn't work so well for Solo in Cloud City...

#2411 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Inside 25 feet, give it 50/50 odds. Vader could choke Tony in his suit and I'd assume the suit is not saber resistant.

Didn't Vader choke someone through a video feed or am I misremembering?

#2412 1 year ago
    Quoted from racer_x:

Didn't work so well for Solo in Cloud City...

Close range.

I'd imagine that little missile Stark used in the original Iron Man would ruin Vader's day.

#2413 1 year ago

Ant man and Wasp is ahead of Solo by $50m+ global without even China opening and first Ant man did over $100M in China.

Ant man is also 5 weeks less release than Solo so it’s likely to top solo by 50% or more.

#2414 1 year ago
    Quoted from rai:

Ant man and Wasp is ahead of Solo by $50m+ global without even China opening and first Ant man did over $100M in China.
    Ant man is also 5 weeks less release than Solo so it’s likely to top solo by 50% or more.

kinda crazy to think some C list super hero is more popular than an iconic star wars character haha.

#2415 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Close range.
    I'd imagine that little missile Stark used in the original Iron Man would ruin Vader's day.

Vader has near infinite range with his choke as long as he can see the target. Get a drone with a camera on Tony Stark and Vader can Force Choke him. He can also deflect any missile with his Force powers. Not to mention the Force power of intuition.

#2416 1 year ago

force crush his suit and make tony go pop

#2417 1 year ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Wrong! Don't y'all see? Tony sees the empire as the future & joins it! He builds a new, improved, iron man death star suit.

#2418 1 year ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Vader has near infinite range with his choke as long as he can see the target. Get a drone with a camera on Tony Stark and Vader can Force Choke him. He can also deflect any missile with his Force powers. Not to mention the Force power of intuition.

I just recalled in Empire he did put the squeeze on a commander in another ship so point taken. Tony could still get a shot off while Vader is choking him. Might be a bit hard to concentrate when getting a repulser shot in the face.

As far as deflecting the missile, only if you can deflect it far enough away you are not still knocked on your ass from the concussion.

#2419 1 year ago

Getting squeezed by Hulk or Vader? I'd wager Hulk has more power in that contest and the armor has resisted Hulk for short periods of time.

#2420 1 year ago

If they consider making a standalone movie about Vader, they need to adapt the novel Lords of the Sith. Vader is mythic I that novel. It's a must read novel for any fan.

#2422 1 year ago

tony stark made DV's suit. Nobody can just pull a suit like that out of their ass. I'm sure disney will have a side movie about it and do a marvel/SW crossover. Why the hell not? It can't get any worse at this point.

#2423 1 year ago

A SW production designer posted that production has stopped on a standalone SW film, I'm thinking Obi Wan's story is now shelved, Boba Fett movie maybe tits up too. So I give Rian's trilogy a 50/50 chance now, only because Disney has probably gave him an advance to write it so they'll wait to see what he has before shelving it. Either way, there is no f-ing way another SW movie will ever bear his name.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/a-star-wars-production-designer-says-a-now-halted-spino-1828385800

#2424 1 year ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

tony stark made DV's suit. Nobody can just pull a suit like that out of their ass. I'm sure disney will have a side movie about it and do a marvel/SW crossover. Why the hell not? It can't get any worse at this point.

While we're at it, maybe Stark Industries had a piece of that tasty Death Star contract. $852,000,000,000,000,000 for the steel alone (note that these are pre trade war prices):
    http://www.centives.net/S/2012/how-much-would-it-cost-to-build-the-death-star/

Or maybe Stark started small with the Star Destroyers, a comparative bargain at only $636 billion (plus $44 trillion shipping & handling):
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2016/01/25/how-much-would-it-realistically-cost-to-build-an-imperial-i-class-star-destroyer/#346319f6390d

#2425 1 year ago

for any crossover to work tony would have to make a time machine as star wars takes place in a long time ago in a galaxy far far away

#2426 1 year ago

for any crossover to work tony would have to make a time machine as star wars takes place in a long time ago in a galaxy far far away

Yeah, but at some point over the last 50 years Marvel probably created an alternate timeline that overlaps with the Star Wars universe. Worst case scenario, Tony can borrow Dr. Doom's time platform (the one Doom used to kill his future self in Iron Man 250, as I'm sure you'll recall).

#2427 1 year ago

he can just infinity gauntlet there. Done. Cross marketing, here we come. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$Disney$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

#2428 1 year ago

Star Wars Rian Johnson Trilogy Canceled?

https://www.cosmicbooknews.com/star-wars-rian-johnson-trilogy-canceled

Sounds rather vague to me.

#2429 1 year ago

Just finished episode 2.

Overall better than Episode 1, good action.

Could someone give me a reading list if I wanted to get into the SW book universe? I don’t know where to start.

#2430 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tomahawkjim:

Wrong! Don't y'all see? Tony sees the empire as the future & joins it! He builds a new, improved, iron man death star suit.

Yeah, but the suit's weakness will be its thermal exhaust port. Ouch.

#2431 1 year ago
    Quoted from rai:

Just finished episode 2.
    Could someone give me a reading list if I wanted to get into the SW book universe? I don’t know where to start.

I read them years ago and have not kept up. Start with the Timothy Zahn trilogy, Heir to the Empire, Dark force Rising, The Last Command. Those three are great books. Then the Jedi Academy Trilogy. I read these in the mid 1990's, so I'm sure there are books written in the last 25 years that are also good, but I would start with these. I also see there is a two book follow-up to the Thrawn trilogy that i'm sure would be a good read.

#2432 1 year ago
    Quoted from rai:

Just finished episode 2.

This is a good list in order, but includes the comics and movies. Feel free to skip the comics in the list if they are not your thing.

https://overmental.com/content/star-wars-the-definitive-chronological-viewing-order-of-the-new-canon-21112

As per my post #2420 above, a good novel to try first would be Lords of the Sith novel by Paul S. Kemp. It is definitely a stand out. It is one of the best novels so far in the new Canon in my opinion. Also it is not part of a trilogy of books, so reading it out of chronological order will not be an issue.

#2433 1 year ago

Finally watched avengers infinity war last night. Wish Disney could make the star wars movies as good as the marvel ones.

It's like night and day

#2434 1 year ago

Just something I find kind of interesting...

Multipliers are historically an industry metric of a movie's performance. Total domestic box office revenues divided by domestic opening weekend. A multiplier of 3 is considered ok. A multiplier of 4 is considered very good for a big budget blockbuster. The higher numbers indicate a movie that is sustaining itself with positive word of mouth and positive fan experience. People are going back to see it again, telling their friends to go see it.

The first three star wars movies had unthinkably high multipliers, industry changing, nothing ever like it. Titanic is another freakish outlier at 21. The star wars prequels dropped off considerably. The last two movies trended downwards, but this is part of a bigger trend. The box office magic and mind boggling multipliers are in the past, and the momentum is downwards. Part of that is Lucas' fault, his prequels were ok, but nothing groundbreaking or industry changing (even with unprecedented CGI). But he handed off the franchise in solid blockbuster ranges. Kathleen Kennedy took this to a whole different level, and I don't think that kind of damage can be fixed by anyone at Disney. Anyone want to place bets on the multiplier for the next star wars movie?

Star Wars Ep. IV: A New Hope 296.56
    Star Wars Ep. V: The Empire Strikes Back 59.11
    Star Wars Ep. VI: Return of the Jedi 13.43
    Star Wars Ep. I: The Phantom Menace 7.32
    Star Wars Ep. II: Attack of the Clones 3.88
    Star Wars Ep. III: Revenge of the Sith 3.51
    Star Wars Ep. VII: The Force Awakens 3.78
    Rogue One: A Star Wars Story 3.43
    Star Wars Ep. VIII: The Last Jedi 2.82
    Solo: A Star Wars Story 2.53

#2435 1 year ago

Finally watched avengers infinity war last night. Wish Disney could make the star wars movies as good as the marvel ones.
    It's like night and day

I have a feeling, Disney knows marvel movies are good, and limit their interaction with that division. Hence why they are sooo good yet, and everything else disney seems to put their hands in, turns to even more garbage.

#2436 1 year ago
    Quoted from tl54hill:

Multipliers are historically an industry metric of a movie's performance. Total domestic box office revenues divided by domestic opening weekend. A multiplier of 3 is considered ok. A multiplier of 4 is considered very good for a big budget blockbuster. The higher numbers indicate a movie that is sustaining itself with positive word of mouth and positive fan experience. People are going back to see it again, telling their friends to go see it.

I'm not sure that's a fair metric in the age of 20 screen megaplexes. I'd be interested to see the number of screens in 2018 versus 1977.

I'd imagine most modern films are much more front loaded because they have such wide release. We no longer have to wait a few weeks for the local bijou to pick up a movie we want to see.

#2437 1 year ago
    Quoted from rai:

Just for fun, I was going to re-read the Zahn trilogy that I hadn't read since college. Boy, they are bad. They have not held up. I couldn't get through the first book. They were great at a time when we never thought we'd see another SW film again, but they did not age well. Plus everything written before TFA was released was abandoned and no longer canon (if that matters to you). So, in a nutshell, the Zahn trilogy is the best of all the expanded universe, but don't expect OT or Prequel quality. More like season 1 clone wars quality.

#2438 1 year ago
    Quoted from racer_x:

I'm not sure that's a fair metric in the age of 20 screen megaplexes. I'd be interested to see the number of screens in 2018 versus 1977.
    I'd imagine most modern films are much more front loaded because they have such wide release. We no longer have to wait a few weeks for the local bijou to pick up a movie we want to see.

The crazy numbers for A New Hope will never be replicated for exactly the reasons you suggest. I remember original trilogy shows selling out, and there was fear of that with Phantom Menace when people bought tickets weeks in advance.

Nowadays, the opening weekend is mostly about marketing and branding. You don't need a great movie to have a great opening, just abroad distribution and strong marketing. But we still have high multipliers for good movies that people return to see, and that spread by word of mouth. Here were a couple of strong ones from last year...TGS is one of the highest since Titanic (21).

The Greatest Showman 19.8
    Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017) 7.7

#2439 1 year ago

I had to step away from this thread, peoples feelings where getting hurt... lol. I thought I was in the minority because I didn't think the Last Jedi was garbage. Now I am so glad the poll on this thread shows that the people who do think this was garbage are the vocal minority. My faith was restored!

#2440 1 year ago
    Quoted from tl54hill:

The first three star wars movies had unthinkably high multipliers, industry changing, nothing ever like it. Titanic is another freakish outlier at 21. The star wars prequels dropped off considerably. The last two movies trended downwards, but this is part of a bigger trend. The box office magic and mind boggling multipliers are in the past, and the momentum is downwards. Part of that is Lucas' fault, his prequels were ok, but nothing groundbreaking or industry changing (even with unprecedented CGI). But he handed off the franchise in solid blockbuster ranges. Kathleen Kennedy took this to a whole different level, and I don't think that kind of damage can be fixed by anyone at Disney. Anyone want to place bets on the multiplier for the next star wars movie?
    Star Wars Ep. IV: A New Hope 296.56
    Star Wars Ep. V: The Empire Strikes Back 59.11
    Star Wars Ep. VI: Return of the Jedi 13.43
    Star Wars Ep. I: The Phantom Menace 7.32
    Star Wars Ep. II: Attack of the Clones 3.88
    Star Wars Ep. III: Revenge of the Sith 3.51
    Star Wars Ep. VII: The Force Awakens 3.78
    Rogue One: A Star Wars Story 3.43
    Star Wars Ep. VIII: The Last Jedi 2.82
    Solo: A Star Wars Story 2.53

This just shows me how much damage the Prequels did on this franchise.

#2441 1 year ago
    Quoted from Captain-Flint:

I had to step away from this thread, peoples feelings where getting hurt... lol. I thought I was in the minority because I didn't think the Last Jedi was garbage. Now I am so glad the poll on this thread shows that the people who do think this was garbage are the vocal minority. My faith was restored!

more people voted that it was garbage than voted for really good or great. The problem with the poll is the "decent better than the prequels" option. I should have had another option as most people hate the prequels.

I would think star wars fans would have higher expectations than just being marginally better than the prequels tho.

#2442 1 year ago

more people voted that it was garbage than voted for really good or great. The problem with the poll is the "decent better than the prequels" option. I should have had another option as most people hate the prequels.
    I would think star wars fans would have higher expectations than just being marginally better than the prequels tho.

Nope, I am okay with the results. The prequels suck no doubt but the question was Garbage or better than the prequels... With all the hate on this thread you would think Garbage would be running away with this.

#2443 1 year ago
    Quoted from Captain-Flint:

Nope, I am okay with the results. The prequels suck no doubt but the question was Garbage or better than the prequels... With all the hate on this thread you would think Garbage would be running away with this.

Garbage is 150 to 67 against really good as of 8/21 5pm mountain time

Garbage is 150 to 66 against great as of 8/21 5pm mountain time

Seems to me that more people think it sucked than was a good movie.

#2444 1 year ago

So if we discard the "decent, better than the prequels" vote entirely (which means you've tossed my vote BTW, and I'm probably the biggest defender of TLJ in this thread!), 53% think it's garbage and 47% think it's good to great. That's clearly out of whack with the commentary here which is more like a 95% / 5% split. But just goes to show that most people who are interested enough in the subject to open the thread and vote (and presumably to have seen the movie in the first place) aren't invested enough to post about it one way or the other.

#2445 1 year ago

I just saw Antman and Wasp. It was ok, not great but shows that Marvel can bring along an average movie to good box office results. It’s not world beating but I’d estimate between $5-600 million worldwide when it’s said and done.

#2446 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crile1:

Just for fun, I was going to re-read the Zahn trilogy that I hadn't read since college. Boy, they are bad. They have not held up. I couldn't get through the first book. They were great at a time when we never thought we'd see another SW film again, but they did not age well. Plus everything written before TFA was released was abandoned and no longer canon (if that matters to you). So, in a nutshell, the Zahn trilogy is the best of all the expanded universe, but don't expect OT or Prequel quality. More like season 1 clone wars quality.

Well I disagree with you on that one. I never read the Zahn trilogy when it first came out in the 90s, and just started to read it this summer. I've only had time to read the first book so far, but I've found it to be quite enjoyable. Grand Admiral Thrawn is one the the most interesting charters in the whole SW universe, and I'm greatly intrigued by the Luke/Mara Jade story, the use of the Yalsamari, dark Jedi, Leia's twins, etc. Good stuff. Snoke, whiney Kylo Ren, and bitch old man Luke? Not so much.

Thrawn is actually official cannon now thanks to the Rebels cartoon (also with Corusant & other things from these novels), I just wish they would have adopted/altered this story for Episodes 7-9. It would have been difficult to the the age of the actors now, but they could have introduced Thrawn to the movie-going audiences & it would have been a huge success. Why they threw all this great material out the window (and gave us Rey, Fynn & Poe) is just unreal. There was a great foundation in this story.

#2447 1 year ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

So if we discard the "decent, better than the prequels" vote entirely (which means you've tossed my vote BTW, and I'm probably the biggest defender of TLJ in this thread!), 53% think it's garbage and 47% think it's good to great. That's clearly out of whack with the commentary here which is more like a 95% / 5% split. But just goes to show that most people who are interested enough in the subject to open the thread and vote (and presumably to have seen the movie in the first place) aren't invested enough to post about it one way or the other.

nah i dont feel we need to discard that vote, just disagree with the dude saying that the majority of people liked it. This thread definitely has more participators thinking it was bad commenting, but also in my personal experience with real world accounts, the majority of people ive talked about this movie has strongly disliked it. but everyones circle is going to be different and have different opinions and thats fine.

#2448 1 year ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Well I disagree with you on that one. I never read the Zahn trilogy when it first came out in the 90s, and just started to read it this summer. I've only had time to read the first book so far, but I've found it to be quite enjoyable. Grand Admiral Thrawn is one the the most interesting charters in the whole SW universe, and I'm greatly intrigued by the Luke/Mara Jade story, the use of the Yalsamari, dark Jedi, Leia's twins, etc. Good stuff. Snoke, whiney Kylo Ren, and bitch old man Luke? Not so much.
    Thrawn is actually official cannon now thanks to the Rebels cartoon (also with Corusant & other things from these novels), I just wish they would have adopted/altered this story for Episodes 7-9. It would have been difficult to the the age of the actors now, but they could have introduced Thrawn to the movie-going audiences & it would have been a huge success. Why they threw all this great material out the window (and gave us Rey, Fynn & Poe) is just unreal. There was a great foundation in this story.

I’m worried that these books are described as YA (young adult) reading.

I may be better served with some other science fiction writing for adults?

#2449 1 year ago

What? 342 think it's decent or better???? Which I would put up against "Garbage". Listen, you started a thread and you clearly think this movie is garbage, and that is okay. It is after all just a movie. I still think the new movies are better than the prequels and I would put them up against Return of the Jedi any day. Star Wars and Empire blow all of the movies (from ROTJ to Solo) away. Nothing this thread has shown is going to change your mind about TLJ clearly. And that is okay. Everyone is entitled to their opinion just let me have mine.

#2450 1 year ago
    Quoted from rai:

I’m worried that these books are described as YA (young adult) reading.
    I may be better served with some other science fiction writing for adults?

I've heard it mentioned here, as well as on recommended reading lists, that "Lords of the Sith" by Paul S Kemp is a great read. Vader & The Emperor stranded together on a hostile planet. Came out a few years ago, so perhaps its a bit more adult oriented. I bought it but I just haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

There's also more recent Thrawn novels from Timothy Zahn. There's an origin story novel from 2017 called "Thrawn", as well as a Thrawn/Vader teamup novel released a few months ago called "Thrawn: Alliances"

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 11.95
    $ 9.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Apparel - Men
    Pinside Shop
    $ 157.00
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    DBC Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 109.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 209.99
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    There are 4552 posts in this topic. You are on page 49 of 92.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside