Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,192 posts
  • 311 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by gdonovan
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi was...”

• garbage, the worst of the main films 243 votes
      34%
    • decent, better than the prequels 251 votes
      35%
    • really good, on par with the originals 80 votes
      11%
    • great! one of the best 80 votes
      11%
    • who cares, star wars sucks 55 votes
      8%

(709 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1 (56) (resized).JPG
    the-acolyte-databank-feature-article-feature_536e2878 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1dd86362581cee58daeaeaef82eb6037 (resized).jpg
    the-acolyte-teaser-poster_506fd466 (resized).jpeg
    1 (resized).jpg
    2 (resized).jpg
    3 (resized).jpg
    6aw3vw8uep501 (resized).jpg
    GGtWnNMWMAAWx0I (resized).png
    nickcole1 (resized).png
    d4109923eb01c73d (resized).jpeg
    Dude.gif
    IMG_3942 (resized).png
    c70f2c8a4c529e76 (resized).png
    heather-michele-orourke_214479_5_full (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,192 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 124.
    #2051 5 years ago

The Hobbit killed itself by not having a script for 3 movies and just making shit up as they went

#2052 5 years ago

Just watched the Last Jedi on my plane ride home. It was bad. Odd, nonsensical plot twists, etc. Agreed on no explanation of Snoke, very lame evil dude. In my opinion, Star Wars should have just stopped after the very first movie. No more sequels/prequels/sequels. One classic movie.

#2053 5 years ago

Let the jokes fly free...

5b1b0d6289f21 (resized).jpeg5b1b0d6289f21 (resized).jpeg
    #2054 5 years ago

I hope the Game of Thrones guys do an Old Republic trilogy.

New characters (whom we don't know the dates of) new stories and NEW FRICKING IDEAS!

Star Wars has been wallowing in the time period between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope for decades. Is this universe so shallow that all we can do is Rebels vs Empire? Is the brand itself nothing more than the looks of the vehicles, the names of the characters and the music?

#2055 5 years ago

I’d be interested in an Old Republic Series if they actually pump up the mythology and characters.

Before the prequels started, I was excited we would actually see the Clone Wars old Ben was yammering on about!!

Instead we got a CGI candy bowl full of droid factory’s, Gladiator pits, and Jango army men.

#2056 5 years ago

Brevity is the soul of wit, brevity which Solo lacks.

Caught the movie last night when offered a free viewing. My initial impression is "meh," better than The Last Jedi but that is damning with faint praise.

The good: Music was ok, costumes ok, staging and props generally good, actors playing Chewbacca and Lando excellent, Woody Harrelson was good. The set piece on the train was clearly the best part of the movie, Kessel Run less so. I enjoyed the gambling parts for some reason, nice world building. A few good moments here and there but pulled down by feckless storyline.

The bad: More desert worlds? really? Alden Ehrenreich was a total flop as Harrison Ford. Sorry, not once did he pull it off and I waited... and waited.. and it just never happened. The movie is far too long and there are too many points that make no sense. The first half hour? Just chop it right off. They should have started the movie with Han already enlisted and in action. The whole "Charles Dickens" crime lord with orphans was cringe inducing and corny. The love interest? Should have had her just show up later in the movie after being missing for years and be a surprise for all. Better to have that part of the tale told in very short flashback at best.

Speaking of which I don't get the love for the love interest, after seeing her for 6 years or so on the HBO series... Her acting there is as shallow as her acting here. One would assume she is the current "hot actress" which is why she had the role. Serviceable but could have been done by a better actress and cheaper I would imagine.

Why is a crime lord hanging around the scene of a high stakes crime with his ship when you have hired others to do your dirty work? That didn't make a lick of sense. What if the people you are robbing of their VERY EXPENSIVE MacGuffin start launching ships your way?

Hey I just had my guys rob a bank in the middle of nowhere ! I think I'll hang around with my very noticeable, unique and large vehicle and wait for the police to show up!

There is more but the movie was too long, stuffed with every single Han reference from the prior movies (some of which were far better to be left to the imagination like his last name.. talk about weak sauce there) a generally great supporting cast with a very mediocre lead, the primary MacGuffin that was a bit of a head scratcher and far too many senseless references to other Star Wars movies. Yes, yes we get it this is a Star Wars movie, duh. We don't need prior references to other Star Wars movies every. five. minutes. They even go digging into the prequels vault which I'll leave at that.

Oh and the droid. I thought L3 wasn't too bad actually, better than JarJar Binks on the scale of irritation. If they toned it back about 50% would have been just right I think.

#2057 5 years ago

This video is so spot on. I am sick and tired of hearing that not liking the abomination that is The Last Jedi means that you don't like strong female characters. This deflection is unacceptable. Rian Johnson made a turd of a movie. I wish Disney would acknowledge this and remove it from canon. I will note that the video unfortunately excluded the Jurassic Park/World series (remember that all of the dinosaurs are female) and Willow (the greatest women-are-badass movie of all time; sorry Aliens for your second place).

#2058 5 years ago

this guy is a little too into the death of Star Wars but he's not wrong about TLJ.

here is sales of BluRay down almost in half of what TFA did, and box office numbers down $700M from TFA.

Meanwhile Avengers Infinity is passing $2B worldwide after Black Panther $1.3B+

Of course Solo is bombing horribly at the box-office. I didn't even see Solo but the point is hard core fans are voting with their wallets.

#2059 5 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

This video is so spot on. I am sick and tired of hearing that not liking the abomination that is The Last Jedi means that you don't like strong female characters. This deflection is unacceptable. Rian Johnson made a turd of a movie. I wish Disney would acknowledge this and remove it from canon. I will note that the video unfortunately excluded the Jurassic Park/World series (remember that all of the dinosaurs are female) and Willow (the greatest women-are-badass movie of all time; sorry Aliens for your second place).

100% agree, just because you think TLJ is crap doesn't mean you're sexist. And even if you are sexist, you could still hate TLJ for non-sexist reasons. Of course there are a number of very vocal critics of TLJ that spouted a bunch of sexist crap while panning the movie, and unfortunately they give the upstanding TLJ-haters a bad name. But it's poor form to assume that everyone that hates TLJ hates it solely because of the more prominent female characters.

#2060 5 years ago

I’m a woman. I thought the movie was not good. People who say someone is sexist simply for not liking the movie are the reason the critics gave this movie such false reviews.

I’m not sure how any person man or woman can identify with Rey. Perfect at everything with no effort or practice, she is a bad role model. Do nothing and have everything handed to you easy-peasy, it is a sad thing that some feminists feel drawn to that type of character as a role model for women as she is in many ways the opposite of what we should aspire to.

#2061 5 years ago

Agree also even superhero and mythological figures have a weakness. Heck the better heroes are like Frodo, Dorothy or Harry Potter who are not great and powerful but overcome their weaknesses.

It’s just to me like the creators wanted to add woman characters and minimize male characters either for marketing or to push an alternative agenda.

They deliberately turn their back on core audiences because the figure their super fans will pay either way and instead want to get the feminist and other audience.

#2062 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Agree also even superhero and mythological figures have a weakness. Heck the better heroes (little h) are like Frodo, Dorothy or Harry Potter who are not great and powerful but overcome their weaknesses.
    It’s just to me like the creators wanted to add woman characters and minimize male characters either for marketing or to push an alternative agenda.
    They deliberately turn their back on core audiences because the figure their super fans will pay either way and instead want to get the feminist and other audience.

There are plenty of movies with intentionally strong female characters (i.e. movies made from a conscious "feminist" perspective) that are great. Even some in the action/fantasy/sci-fi genres. If someone has a beef with the TLJ filmmakers intentionally setting out to create strong leading female characters then that's pretty lame, there's plenty of room in the Star Wars universe for those characters. If someone has a beef with the way the TLJ film-makers went about attempting to achieve that goal (poor dialog and character development, blatant disregard for events in the prior film, etc.) then more power to them.

#2063 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

100% agree, just because you think TLJ is crap doesn't mean you're sexist. And even if you are sexist, you could still hate TLJ for non-sexist reasons. Of course there are a number of very vocal critics of TLJ that spouted a bunch of sexist crap while panning the movie, and unfortunately they give the upstanding TLJ-haters a bad name. But it's poor form to assume that everyone that hates TLJ hates it solely because of the more prominent female characters.

Upstanding TLJ hater? Aren't you the guy with the Porg t-shirt?

#2064 5 years ago
    Quoted from PavBall:

I’m not sure how any person man or woman can identify with Rey. Perfect at everything with no effort or practice, she is a bad role model. Do nothing and have everything handed to you easy-peasy, it is a sad thing that some feminists feel drawn to that type of character as a role model for women as she is in many ways the opposite of what we should aspire to.

Ironically, i never gave Rey much thought as to how poor of a protagonist she is. Probably due to all the other flaws stealing her thunder.

Usually in a movie like this, The protagonist would get put through hell before coming out on top. Look at Luke in the OT. He gets his ass handed to him royally before winning in the end. Pretty basic formula for a character arc. I thought they were going a similar route with her in the first movie, with her coming from nothing, but after the first half of the movie, she hasn't faced many challenges since. Honestly, this makes her a pretty uninteresting character.

#2065 5 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

More
    Upstanding TLJ hater? Aren't you the guy with the Porg t-shirt?

Oh yes, an Xmas gift, my boys were greatly amused.

I’m also the only guy in this thread that will admit to thinking the movie was “OK,” and am hence the resident super-fan. Doesn’t mean I think everyone that disagrees with me on the quality of the film is a nuckle-dragger though, there are lots of obviously flaws to be picked apart.

#2066 5 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Let the jokes fly free...

now this is a SW movie I would actually want to see.

#2067 5 years ago

Looking at Boxofficemojo Solo will take 3 weeks to pass TFA first 2 days domestic total and (my estimate) will not pass the opening weekend 3 day total of TFA.

#2068 5 years ago

Solo is still in an INSANE number of theaters http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/

Make me wonder if some 1 month deals were in place just like TLJ. Usually theaters dump a bomb after the 2 week minimum.

#2069 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Looking at Boxofficemojo Solo will take 3 weeks to pass TFA first 2 days domestic total and (my estimate) will not pass the opening weekend 3 day total of TFA.

Heard through the grapevine today:

Rumor: Kathleen Kenedy has been fired from creative control of the Star Wars property by Disney.

Will try and follow up on it and update.

#2070 5 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Heard through the grapevine today:
    Rumor: Kathleen Kenedy has been fired from creative control of the Star Wars property by Disney.
    Will try and follow up on it and update.

This has been reported quite a few times during the last few weeks from a number of sources. The last article from a decent source was about 1-2 weeks ago that stated she was negotiating her golden parachute and would leave by fall.

#2071 5 years ago
    Quoted from Eryeal:

This has been reported quite a few times during the last few weeks from a number of sources. The last article from a decent source was about 1-2 weeks ago that stated she was negotiating her golden parachute and would leave by fall.

It was rumored to be happening a few weeks ago, current rumor is that is has happened.

From the wording I'm assuming she was "kicked upstairs" or assigned something else.

#2072 5 years ago

It's not like you would have liked Lucas's 7-9 either.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a21343712/george-lucas-star-wars-7-9-plot/

"True fans" won't be happy with anything beyond Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back.

Maybe it's time to realize that the movies aren't being made for the "true fans" ("super fans", etc.) and avoid the prolonged disappointment?

#2073 5 years ago
    Quoted from okayestpinballer:

Very possible, Lucas is a bit of a hack who plagiarized from a number of sources and was at the right place and time.

He got very lucky.

That being said, I'm sure there are other film makers out there who could do a far credible job with the Star Wars franchise that the last four outings. Far as I'm concerned Rogue One is the best of the lot and that isn't saying much.

There is a rich variety of material to be mined in the various books written over the last few decades.. And Disney ignored it all. It would have not been hard to find some good stuff if they had expended some effort.

#2074 5 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

It was rumored to be happening a few weeks ago, current rumor is that is has happened.
    From the wording I'm assuming she was "kicked upstairs" or assigned something else.

Not seeing anything definitive popping up on Google, where are you guys looking? (Please tell me it's not filmgoblin.com ...)

Whether or not she's fired the whole Paul Feig replacement rumor seems a little nuts, would Disney really want to pull him off of their number one cash cow given the run he's on? Unless he's sick of Marvel and wants a new universe to play in, I suppose.

#2075 5 years ago

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a21343712/george-lucas-star-wars-7-9-plot/
    "True fans" won't be happy with anything beyondI Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back.
    Maybe it's time to realize that the movies aren't being made for the "true fans" ("super fans", etc.) and avoid the prolonged disappointment?

I would conside myself a true fan and I would, like most fans, be quite content with a plausible story with quality characters. Not the turd that was the last jedi. Tfa wasnt much better.
    The prequels while full of faults still told a compelling story and had some interesting character arcs.
    The whole notion that true fans cannot be pleased is horseshit buddy. We just want a good story... not too much to ask.
    Disney have shit the bed with this franchise. They basically had a lisence to print money with each film as long as they made quality films. Now they are looking at minimal profits and even possible losses. I for one have little to no interest in seeing episode 9... why? Because the dstory sucks and i dont give a shit about any of the characters.

#2076 5 years ago
    Quoted from John1210:

More
    I would conside myself a true fan and I would, like most fans, be quite content with a plausible story with quality characters. Not the turd that was the last jedi. Tfa wasnt much better.
    The prequels while full of faults still told a compelling story and had some interesting character arcs.
    The whole notio that true fans csnnot be pleased is horseshit buddy. We just want a good story... not too much to ask.

I couldn’t be pleased by the prequels, they were utter garbage. I read recently that Lucas was intentionally mimicing the stilted dialog and delivery of 1930s movies, so the actors may have been less to blame than it seemed at the time (i.e. Lucas lost even more of his mojo than we thought).

I’m a fan, and at this point I just want the SW movies to be fun. Prequels didn’t even try. TFA, despite its flaws, had it. TLJ has flashes of enjoyable stuff but too many cut corners and too much flab. Hopefully they’ll get back on track with Ep IX.

#2077 5 years ago

"True fans" won't be happy with anything beyond Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back.

It's not about true fans or feelings.

It's about good movies and bad. Doesn't matter what universe the movie is in. If it's a piece of shit, it's a piece of shit.

Bad movies have

No character development
    No character chemistry
    Crappy dialogue
    Loops holes in the story
    Characters act out of character to what has already been established
    Useless scenes for camera fluff to show off special effects at the expense of the story
    Scenes created just to sell merchandise but no real need to be in the movie beyond that.

#2078 5 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

There is a rich variety of material to be mined in the various books written over the last few decades.. And Disney ignored it all. It would have not been hard to find some good stuff if they had expended some effort.

This coupled with many of the fan theories that came out, were far far better and richer than anything Disney came up with. In fact, they really didn't even try. They seemed to be much more concerned about throwing as much PC bullshit as they could squeeze in over any sort of charter development or anything unique (or interesting) from a story telling standpoint. At this point, the only way to save the franchise is to totally disavow TFA and the TLJ, forbid from selling or playing either one, burn all copies, and start over. This time forget being political and focus on the characters and the story. If a character has no real purpose in furthering the story (Finn), they leave them out of the script. Also, please stop with the slapstick humor, it does not work like it does in the Marvel universe. If they are going to steal from the originals, do so in extreme moderation.

#2079 5 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

At this point, the only way to save the franchise is to totally disavow TFA and the TLJ, forbid from selling or playing either one, burn all copies, and start over.

If you're hoping Disney is going to disavow the top domestic box office movie of all time (#11 adjusted for inflation), prepare for bitter disappointment. You hated TFA, but why should they give a f#$k? Presumably Disney was a little disappointed with TLJ's box office, and very unhappy with Solo's take, but TFA was an epic cash cow and a critical success to boot, and no one's going to touch it.

If you're holding out for a reboot, I'd suggest finding another franchise to follow and checking back with Star Wars in another 20 years.

Quoted from bigdaddy07:

If they are going to steal from the originals, do so in extreme moderation.

TFA grossed $2 billion while cloning the Death Star from SW and ROTJ. The audience evidently wants more of the same forever, and I imagine that's a message Disney can live with.

#2080 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

If you're hoping Disney is going to disavow the top domestic box office movie of all time (#11 adjusted for inflation), prepare for bitter disappointment. You hated TFA, but why should they give a f#$k? Presumably Disney was a little disappointed with TLJ's box office, and very unhappy with Solo's take, but TFA was an epic cash cow and a critical success to boot, and no one's going to touch it.

Just my opinion brother, I know big ole Disney doesn't care one cent about it, but I still have the right to express it. TFA benefited from the continued story opera effect of a very successful and highly anticipated film franchise. It was going to gross well no matter what came out. My feeling is that we will not see the same for the next film just like with Solo. Disney can go F-itself, as I'm done paying to see their crap and I know I 'm not alone on this, so NO not holding out for a reboot and YES I will find other stories to follow, thank you so very much for the excellent advice! --Mic dropped and kicked--

#2081 5 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Just my opinion brother, I know big ole Disney doesn't care one cent about it, but I still have the right to express it. TFA benefited from the continued story opera effect of a very successful and highly anticipated film franchise. It was going to gross well no matter what came out. My feeling is that we will not see the same for the next film just like with Solo. Disney can go F-itself, as I'm done paying to see their crap and I know I 'm not alone on this, so NO not holding out for a reboot and YES I will find other stories to follow, thank you so very much for the excellent advice! --Mic dropped and kicked--

Here's another pearl of wisdom: if you want to come off as "over it," don't kick the mic after you drop it. Sort of like punching the wall on the way out the door, satisfying in the short term but it kills your cool.

#2082 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Here's another pearl of wisdom: if you want to come off as "over it," don't kick the mic after you drop it. Sort of like punching the wall on the way out the door, satisfying in the short term but it kills your cool.

OK, I'll be sure to remember that for sure, since I need all the lessons in coolness that I can get. However, one nugget for you, if you're going to "quote" someone, make sure they actually said what you're quoting. It sorta kills your wittiness.

#2083 5 years ago

The thing people don't get about TFA and why people went to see it. Disney had to do a remake, we had been force garbage prequels and people were very jaded. TFA was a peace offering, it was just Disney saying we know what Star Wars is, here is the universe, here is our new cast, we know what people want to see. It wasn't perfect but it was a great start. TLJ just fucked everything up, if TLJ was not complete shit everything would be great. All they had to do is stick with the cast not add a bunch of nobody gives a shit characters. Make Rey over confident get her ass schooled by Luke, a little drama with Kylo and her learning the hard way she wasnt ready and everyone would have been ready for 10 more movies. Sure it would be similar in theme to Empire but that is the arc every character in every movie goes through, its what makes people give a shit.

#2084 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

The thing people don't get about TFA and why people went to see it. Disney had to do a remake, we had been force garbage prequels and people were very jaded. TFA was a peace offering, it was just Disney saying we know what Star Wars is, here is the universe, here is our new cast

And then they fucked it up anyway.....TFA was nothing special it was actually bad, but TLJ was a trainwreck.

PS: The prequels were bad, but I think the Statute of Limitation has run out on them. 12 years is a while in the movie world.

#2085 5 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

PS: The prequels were bad, but I think the Statute of Limitation has run out on them. 12 years is a while in the movie world.

I thought the limitation ran out to until I found out Pinside is the only place that still houses their defenders.

#2086 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I thought the limitation ran out to until I found out Pinside is the only place that still houses their defenders.

Context Lawman, TFA is a creative failure, yeah, I guess if you turn off your brain and just look at the nice cinematography.

#2087 5 years ago

As terrible as Rian Johnson's take on the Star Wars is, yikes... George Lucas' original vision for the SW 7-9 sounds as equally head scratching. Maybe it's time to just let this Universe go. Sigh.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/george-lucas-star-wars-sequel-ideas_us_5b225d32e4b0bbb7a0e51097?utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=hp_fb_pages&utm_source=main_fb&ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063

#2088 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

One of the major reasons The Force Awakens did so well was it came off a long period of no new movies and insane media hype. Replay value? Seen it once here, no interest in seeing it again.

Frankly the whole Disney SW franchise is a "bait and switch" and fans have figured it out at this point, hence the declining interest.

This isn't Lucas' Star Wars and they want little part of it.

Disney took a successful franchise (warts and all) and is busy crashing it into the ground. They have no idea what made it a great franchise in the first place. One reviewer had a interesting insight into Disney movies. They pointed out that the vast demographic Disney catered to for years was largely GIRLS. They made movies for girls and sold toys to girls. Someone at Disney wanted to cash in big on the boys side of the market (which is perfectly fine) and they purchased Marvel and Star Wars to do so.

Now they don't know what to do with the Star Wars franchise. One wag even suggested that they are surprised that Rey didn't have a singing number with BB8 since she is clearly the new Disney Princess. Marvel has a pretty strong show runner.. what happens with they retire?

#2089 5 years ago

I just watched TLJ for the first time. What a steaming pile of horseshit. Almost nothing redeeming about it. I actually liked TFA. Thought it was a fitting tribute piece and set up a number of interesting plot points for the sequels. I can’t believe this movie essentially threw all of those setups out the window.

I hope whoever approved this trash has been shown the door at Disney. This movie was almost as unwatchable as The Phantom Menace, and that is saying something. Not to mention the zero character development.

The only way this can be redeemed is with some major (and I mean major) plot twist in Episode 9. They’ve backed the story into such a corner it’s going to be pretty bloody difficult to redeem it.

#2090 5 years ago

Please also consider, we knew very little about TFA prior to its release. Disney promised however a fresh start from the "unpopular" prequel trilogies with successful J.J.Abrams taking over. They plastered pictures of a reunited cast of Han, Luke and Leia everywhere. Nostalgia was this giant fishing lure they kept casting. No more Jar Jar Binks! No more tedious politics or plastic actors!

Of course this was going to make huge amounts of money.

Remember the common consensus after seeing the film?
    Entertaining movie, but it certainly had way too much cut and paste of the original Star Wars. There was immediate disappointment in the new characters while feeling a bait and switch tactic was employed with the whole nostalgia hook.

The audience was entertained. The fans grew weary but remained hopeful. Let's see where this is headed....

Then we got the Last Jedi.

#2091 5 years ago
    Quoted from japespin:

As terrible as Rian Johnson's take on the Star Wars is, yikes... George Lucas' original vision for the SW 7-9 sounds as equally head scratching. Maybe it's time to just let this Universe go. Sigh.
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/george-lucas-star-wars-sequel-ideas_us_5b225d32e4b0bbb7a0e51097?utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=hp_fb_pages&utm_source=main_fb&ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063

maybe? I was done after EP2.

#2092 5 years ago

They’re saying Solo had ~$150 million in marketing as I’m sure did TFA if not more.

Not a problem when you’re pulling down $2Bilion but not good when gross revenue is $450M.

My wife and kids saw The Incredibles 2 last night said they loved it. I’m interested to see what kind of numbers it does it’s already doubled the previous record for Thursday animated movie (Finding Dory).

#2093 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

My wife and kids saw The Incredibles 2 last night said they loved it. I’m interested to see what kind of numbers it does it’s already doubled the previous record for Thursday animated movie (Finding Dory).

Nice, doing a Saturday matinee of Incredibles 2 with the wife and kids. Will be interesting to see if they can capture some of what made the first one so great.

#2094 5 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

One of the major reasons The Force Awakens did so well was it came off a long period of no new movies and insane media hype. Replay value? Seen it once here, no interest in seeing it again.
    Frankly the whole Disney SW franchise is a "bait and switch" and fans have figured it out at this point, hence the declining interest.
    This isn't Lucas' Star Wars and they want little part of it.

This is pretty much right on point. Rogue One is the only exception here, true fan service created by a real SW fan. Sure it has flaws, but those last 30 minutes are outstanding & rival the original films.

There has been a consistent slow slide of die-hard fan interest from TFA to TLJ to Solo. The cat is out of the bag at this point. Fans aren't happy, and they vote with their wallets. Disney execs can continue to stick there heads in the sand & ignore (and continue to belittle via social media) the vocal dissenting fans. It's their funeral.

Episode 9 is going to bomb too, meaning far less grosses than predicted. Wont even sniff $1B gross. It will be curious to hear the excuses when there is a year & a half gap between SW films. Don't care about ANY of the new characters at this point, and genuinely DISLIKE them. Go ahead JJ. Put Jabba the Hutt's son in there. Fool me once.... Not happening.

The Episode 9 boycott is real.

#2095 5 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Episode 9 is going to bomb too, meaning far less grosses than predicted. Wont even sniff $1B gross.

That would be an epic failure. Solo bombing was a huge black eye for Disney, but I still wouldn't bet on a main-trilogy SW movie failing to gross $1 billion. If that actually happens, shit's going to hit the fan.

Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Go ahead JJ. Put Jabba the Hutt's son in there.

Low blow. JJ may have ripped off Lucas in TFA, but at least he had the good taste to rip off good Lucas from the first three films, not evil Lucas from the prequels after he decided that what Star Wars was really lacking was Lil' Vader and Lil' Bobba Fett.

Although come to think of it, "Jabba: The College Years: A Star Wars Story" could be very topical, I'll bet Jabba engaged in some serious hazing at his fraternity.

#2096 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Low blow. JJ may have ripped off Lucas in TFA, but at least he had the good taste to rip off good Lucas from the first three films, not evil Lucas from the prequels after he decided that what Star Wars was really lacking was Lil' Vader and Lil' Bobba Fett.
    Although come to think of it, "Jabba: The College Years: A Star Wars Story" could be very topical, I'll bet Jabba engaged in some serious hazing at his fraternity.

Apparently you haven't heard the latest rumor. Comes from a shill garbage website, but I see it happening.

https://movieweb.com/star-wars-9-scene-leak/

JJ sitting there for last year saying how can I fix this mess. With more classic characters we can disgrace in some way! JJ did it before, so expect a Return of the Jedi reboot. Expect another trip to Tattooine for no reason. A fourth super weapon? An Ewok cameo? The end of the First Order. But I expect Luke to just visualize out of nowhere when Rey finds some reason to go to Degobah. Oh he just went to another dimension, Rey chanted something from the sacred Jedi texts, turns out he's not dead & she brought him back! They will officially jump the shark in Episode 9.

Then get ready for more Luke adventures in Episodes 10-12, building the Jedi Academy, meeting Mara Jade, Grand Admiral Thrawn returning from the Unknown Regions.....you know, the stuff they should have done in Episodes 7-9.

I mean what else can they do? The Episodes are about the skywalker bloodline, and they were stupid as hell to abandon that. Of course bring Luke back will require admitting that TLJ was a complete mistake. These current people in charge will be unwilling to do that.

Nothing will surprise me at this point.

#2097 5 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Apparently you haven't heard the latest rumor. Comes from a shill garbage website, but I see it happening.
    https://movieweb.com/star-wars-9-scene-leak/

Yikes! Here's what that says:

Reddit user 4LOM says that there's a scene in Star Wars 9 that features Finn, Poe Dameron, and Rose Tico. In addition, DJ is back in the fold and is apparently "just as shady as ever," but he's reportedly in deep with the Hutt family. The new leader of the Jabba the Hutts' crime family is Rotta, Jabba's son, and the new scene features the trio together, dining with the Hutt Cartel, which has been compared to the dining scene in The Temple of Doom. It isn't clear if they will be eating monkey brains in Star Wars 9 though.

Also, if they're reduced to stealing from Temple of Doom then we're in for a real treat

#2098 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Also, if they're reduced to stealing from Temple of Doom then we're in for a real treat

Fun fact TOD is 589% better than TLJ

#2099 5 years ago

"In other Star Wars 9 news, the working title was recently revealed to be trIXie after originally being called Black Diamond. No reason was given for the name change, but it's only a working title, so there's nothing to worry about there. As for the tone of the film, J.J. Abrams has said that he won't let any of the negativity from Star Wars fans surrounding The Last Jedi impact his work on the upcoming Star Wars 9, which means that those Rose Tico haters are about to get a lot more of the character, especially if this new report ends up being proven true. Star Wars 9 hits theaters on December 20th, 2019 and you can read the report for yourself over at Reddit."

cool, dont listen to the feedback just keep piling on the bs haha

#2100 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Fun fact TOD is 589% better than TLJ

When did you last watch TOD? We went back and saw it immediately after the disgraceful Crystal Skull, and it ain’t pretty. If you’re going to steal from Dr. Jones, go Raiders or Crusade.

Although even here, Lucas may have paved the way:
    Short Round —> Baby Vader —> Baby Fett?

There are 6,192 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 124.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spoilers-star-wars-the-last-jedi-is-really-bad-spoilers/page/42?hl=jason43 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.