Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,234 posts
  • 311 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 hours ago by PanzerFreak
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi was...”

• garbage, the worst of the main films 243 votes
      34%
    • decent, better than the prequels 251 votes
      35%
    • really good, on par with the originals 80 votes
      11%
    • great! one of the best 80 votes
      11%
    • who cares, star wars sucks 55 votes
      8%

(709 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

scioli (resized).jpg
    ss1-trapped (resized).jpg
    fantastic_four_1961_48_3 (resized).jpg
    d0c0aa785c9ed124 (resized).jpeg
    b881ebbaf721aff4 (resized).jpeg
    1 (56) (resized).JPG
    the-acolyte-databank-feature-article-feature_536e2878 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1dd86362581cee58daeaeaef82eb6037 (resized).jpg
    the-acolyte-teaser-poster_506fd466 (resized).jpeg
    1 (resized).jpg
    2 (resized).jpg
    3 (resized).jpg
    6aw3vw8uep501 (resized).jpg
    GGtWnNMWMAAWx0I (resized).png
    nickcole1 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,234 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 125.
    #1551 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Good to see that you’re still reading nothing but objective, clear eyed analyses on this topic. I too get most of my film news from the film goblin.

Did you even bother to read the article? Several well respected sources were cited.

Don't let facts stand in the way.

#1552 6 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Did you even bother to read the article? Several well respected and indisputable sources were cited.
    Don't let facts stand in the way.

So he peppered a few tespectable citations in to legitimize his speculative rant? If there’s actual, credible analysis somewhere that supports your point, why not quote that instead of the “film goblin”?

#1553 6 years ago

I forced myself to watch TLJ again last week. I thought that I might find something i missed the first time. The only scene I really liked from the first viewing was the throne room fight scene. I did enjoy that scene. This time around, I was hoping to find another little gem, something else that I could hold on to. WRONG. Even that scene was disappointing on the second viewing. What a pity.

#1554 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinSinner:

I forced myself to watch TLJ again last week. I thought that I might find something i missed the first time. The only scene I really liked from the first viewing was the throne room fight scene. I did enjoy that scene. This time around, I was hoping to find another little gem, something else that I could hold on to. WRONG. Even that scene was disappointing on the second viewing. What a pity.

The throne room fight scene was okay but the problem with it was it had no stakes. It was two known characters fighting a bunch of nobodies in masks. It ended with the destruction of one of the series top artifacts (Luke’s lightsaber) that supposedly was going to get an interesting back story.

Why destroy the saber? It just makes whatever backstory we will eventually get on how Maz got it seem unimportant. I just still can’t get what KK and RJ were thinking...

#1555 6 years ago

Throne room fight scene was budget as shit. This franchise now is obsessed with giving people multiple dumb weapons that look diff'rent for no real reason. Was like a Kung Fu video game in the throne room.

#1556 6 years ago

The destroyed sabre is a tip off that Luke is not real when he shows up with it and a hair piece at the end. For me it just made the ending even worse. It was like they were actively saying look how dumb this is.

#1557 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

The destroyed sabre is a tip off that Luke is not real when he shows up with it and a hair piece at the end. For me it just made the ending even worse. It was like they were actively saying look how dumb this is.

It was pretty funny how he showed up all cleaned up in his force projection. He should have added a few inches of height and 20 lbs of muscle as well, why not?

#1558 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Series or movie? I’d go series. Though it only airs in Spanish on Univision in the US these days.

Actually, it airs on COZY T.V.
    http://www.cozitv.com/shows/weekday/Miami-Vice-294665891.html

#1559 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

So he peppered a few tespectable citations in to legitimize his speculative rant? If there’s actual, credible analysis somewhere that supports your point, why not quote that instead of the “film goblin”?

Already have several times.

Basic math at work here, its not hard.

#1560 6 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Yes, we’ve discussed your math (and the the quality and plausibility of your inputs and assumptions) several times. I shouldn’t have responded again as it’s a pointless and stale conversation.

The great news is that if your *ahem* alternative media sources are even close to correct, the whole SW team has already been canned. No way Disney would casually accept the profit numbers you’ve conjured.

#1561 6 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I read the article. I thought it was interesting and insightful. I could care less that the site is called film goblin.

If anyone disagrees with their findings or has evidence to the contrary, by all means post it or move along already. Thinly veiled insults do not support a contrarian argument.

It seems the Disney corporation will double and triple down before being seen as wrong for their creative decisions.

#1562 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Yes, we’ve discussed your math (and the the quality and plausibility of your inputs and assumptions) several times. I shouldn’t have responded again as it’s a pointless and stale conversation.
    The great news is that if your *ahem* alternative media sources are even close to correct, the whole SW team has already been canned. No way Disney would casually accept the profit numbers you’ve conjured.

Maybe this YouTube video will provide a supporting argument more attuned to your liking.

#1563 6 years ago

Yeah, my bad for responding, we talked this topic to death weeks ago. Carry on.

#1564 6 years ago
    Quoted from Flowst:

It seems the Disney corporation will double and triple down before being seen as wrong for their creative decisions.

I think that’s why they announced the RJ future trilogy. They were hoping to create buzz and excitement behind him even in the face of what they had to knew was going to be a harmful movie to franchise health. My guess is that trilogy gets canceled.

#1565 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I think that’s why they announced the RJ future trilogy. They were hoping to create buzz and excitement behind him even in the face of what they had to knew was going to be a harmful movie to franchise health. My guess is that trilogy gets canceled.

Canceling it is not good enough for me..it needs to be sold to Hulu or Amazon so it can be made into a generic low budget space flick so RJ can question how did this happen and do some soul searching.....Moron. A fresh film grad would have done a better job, Seesh...Admiral Hold the fuck up (shaking head).

#1566 6 years ago
    Quoted from Flowst:

SJW always double down (someone even wrote a best selling book on the subject) and will continue to do so until the franchise is run into the ground or those SJW calling the shots are fired and an attempt is made to repair or reboot the franchise.

Simple as that.

The head of Disney has already stated they are NOT changing course so what do you expect to happen?

Look at ESPN.

#1567 6 years ago

SJW FTW!

#1568 6 years ago

Wow you guys are still at it eh? Impressive.

Literally none of Disney’s serialized movie properties is worth a shit, IMHO. If I ever sit through another 2.5 hour super hero snorefest just shoot me.

I remember when they still made movies that were worth a damn, now get off my lawn!

#1569 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

Wow you guys are still at it eh? Impressive.
    Literally none of Disney’s serialized movie properties is worth a shit, IMHO. If I ever sit through another 2.5 hour super hero snorefest just shoot me.
    I remember when they still made movies that were worth a damn, now get off my lawn!

"... you damn kids!"

#1570 6 years ago

On the positive end of the Star Wars spectrum, I finished watching Rebels today. The show was hard to watch during the first season but kept getting better.

In my opinion, on the whole Clone Wars was the better animated show but Rebels was respectable. I’m interested in the next show.

#1571 6 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

...so what do you expect to happen?

You to keep arguing with no one forever.

#1572 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

You to keep arguing with no one forever.

And yet here you are.

Know how people think and what motivates them will give you a fairly reliable predictor of future actions.

#1573 6 years ago

I cringe a little every time I hear a critique of TLJ that includes "SJW" or "feminist". There are so many better and more justifiable reasons to hate this movie. There is nothing wrong with wanting to have a movie with strong female characters and I feel like arguing otherwise makes you not only look like an asshole but also justifies this garbage movie in a way. A better route would be to explain how much they failed at that mission. I don't believe the movie even passes the Bechdel Test. The female characters (heck, ALL of the characters) are weak, one-dimensional, stupid and/or boy crazy and consistently make non-essential, stupid or cringingly forced decisions. The only characters that succeed at anything are Rey (with boring consistency), Luke, Kylo and BB-8. And other than Rey, these "successes" really end up meaning nothing. And no, I am not including Holdo in that because although that scene looks great, it has terrible implications on Star Wars at large and was the "resolution" to a plot that is embarrassingly bad.

I know Solo will fail but I'm sure they will ignore the influence TLJ had on this. If TLJ was a great movie, I'd go see Solo without question; despite the concerns. Now I will never see that crap until I can watch it on Netflix and maybe not even then. I won't go see another Star Wars movie in the theater or purchase it on Digital or Blu-ray until Johnson is gone, Kennedy is gone and Disney admits how terrible TLJ really is.

I am currently in Orlando enjoying Disneyworld but everything Star Wars is from the new trilogy; no OT, no prequels, no RO. What a bunch of crap. But as every Kylo Ren here is wearing a helmet (because they could more easily find a Christopher Walken look-alike than an Adam Driver one), it reminds me of how cool I thought his helmet was and how it pisses me off that Rian Jackass destroyed that, along with Star Wars.

#1574 6 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

I cringe a little every time I hear a critique of TLJ that includes "SJW" or "feminist". There are so many better and more justifiable reasons to hate this movie. There is nothing wrong with wanting to have a movie with strong female characters and I feel like arguing otherwise makes you not only look like an asshole but also justifies this garbage movie in a way.

I agree I've said the same thing in an earlier post, but the feminist undertone is so overt, it was very hard to miss. So it naturally became part of the criticism, unfortunately.

#1575 6 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

And yet here you are.

Here i am agreeing with everyone that this movie was total shit.

#1576 6 years ago

the problem with this movie as part of this mini trilogy The Force Awakes | The Last Jedi | From His Nap ( or what ever the third one we be called) I'm sure you can remove TLJ from viewing in the triology realm and not cause and major plot disruptions between the first and the last. This is definitely not the case with our beloved ESB

#1577 6 years ago
    Quoted from saucerman:

I'm sure you can remove TLJ from viewing in the triology realm and not cause and major plot disruptions between the first and the last.

Ha they'll make a shitty 5 minute catch up to play before the 3rd. "Last time on Star Wars..."

I mean really...please do it

#1579 6 years ago

Mark Hamill's great, he's been a good sport about all of this stuff, but also enough of a Star Wars nerd that he can't help but keep talking about it! And thumbs-up for his Force Ghost horror movie concept, I'd watch that. Less into his SW English Patient idea though ...

#1580 6 years ago
    Quoted from saucerman:

The Force Awakes | The Last Jedi | From His Nap ( or what ever the third one we be called)

Hilarious! "From His Nap" opens with a Dallas/Newhart reveal that TLJ was all just Luke's dream brought on by one too many mugs of fermented seacow milk. And then they blow up the Death Star again.

#1582 6 years ago

Haha, look at RJ's face when Mark says "I told him we have to remember what the fans think"

https://www.cnn.com/videos/cnnmoney/2018/03/22/mark-hamill-rian-johnson-star-wars-luke-skywalker-fate-orig.cnnmoney

#1584 6 years ago

Watched it again tonight.

Found it mostly boring. Humor didn't work on second pass.

Some parts still good. I like the stuff with the kids at the end.

BUT GOD. The part where Rose stops Finn from sacrificing himself for the greater good - still awful. Worst part of movie.

Finn should have died, completing his arc of coward-to-hero. But NO! We need a love (quadrangle?) in next movie, so keep him alive for no reason.

#1585 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

BUT GOD. The part where Rose stops Finn from sacrificing himself for the greater good - still awful. Worst part of movie.

Finn should have died, completing his arc of coward-to-hero. But NO! We need a love (quadrangle?) in next movie, so keep him alive for no reason.

Stop it...nothing is worse than Mary Poppins.

On second viewing did they explain how Rose & Finn got back to the base?

#1586 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Stop it...nothing is worse than Mary Poppins.
    On second viewing did they explain how Rose & Finn got back to the base?

No. They did not explain it. Somehow he drags her back to the base faster then their ships got to the battlefront in the first place, and none of the Gorilla Walkers bother to shoot them, despite the "No quarter, no prisoners" order from Kylo Ren.

I can handle a different take on Old Luke. But plot holes like I mentioned above? F**k that.

#1587 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Haha, look at RJ's face when Mark says "I told him we have to care about what the fans think"
    https://www.cnn.com/videos/cnnmoney/2018/03/22/mark-hamill-rian-johnson-star-wars-luke-skywalker-fate-orig.cnnmoney

RJ: “we need to form a bubble around ourselves at the very start of it & say we are going to tell a story we care about. We’re going to make choices that feel right to US & we’re not going to second guess ANY of them, based on OMG...what is everyone going to think of this? We are just going to follow our own internal compass”

MH: “Then I would say ‘We have to remember what the fans will think’, and he said NO, we have to remember what we think. And that was a pivitol moment for me.”

F**K you RJ. Seriously. F**K you.

God bless you Mark Hamill. Both you & the fans were royally screwed by this effing egotistical asshat.

IDK what’s more upsetting... RJ’s statement.... or his ear-curdling fake ass laugh at the beginning of that segment.

#1588 6 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

RJ: “we need to form a bubble around ourselves at the very start of it & say we are going to tell a story we care about. We’re going to make choices that feel right to US & we’re not going to second guess ANY of them, based on OMG...what is everyone going to think of this? We are just going to follow our own internal compass”
    MH: “Then I would say ‘We have to remember what the fans will think’, and he said NO, we have to remember what we think. And that was a pivitol moment for me.”
    F**K you RJ. Seriously. F**K you.
    God bless you Mark Hamill. Both you & the fans were royally screwed by this effing egotistical asshat.
    IDK what’s more upsetting... RJ’s statement.... or his ear-curdling fake ass laugh at the beginning of that segment.

Lol, the guy is mental......I love the way Mark sticks it to him in every interview in such a benign way. Can you tell how genuine Mark is though? He was just speaking his mind about the character and the movie till he was put on notice by someone from Disney.

#1589 6 years ago

I'm very glad I skipped this movie. After watching The Force Awakens I was so disappointed that I just lost all desire to see any future Star Wars movies. Never saw Rogue One, and I don't want to see the Han Solo movie either. I was a huge SW fan for the longest time, and I still have two entire rooms full of SW toys and collectibles, but I just really don't like what Disney has done with the new series.

#1590 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Can you tell how genuine Mark is though? He was just speaking his mind about the character and the movie till he was put on notice by someone from Disney.

Yeah, Mark Hamill is the man. He sure came up with "panhandling in front of Hooters" quickly though, makes you wonder what he was up to during all those years of voice acting.

#1591 6 years ago

Remember when this trilogy was announced how exciting it was with JJ?
    Rehash or not, it worked.
    Pretty quiet in JJ Abrams front now.
    The handlers have him muzzled to somehow save the ship again.

#1592 6 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

Remember when this trilogy was announced how exciting it was with JJ?
    Rehash or not, it worked.
    Pretty quiet in JJ Abrams front now.
    The handlers have him muzzled to somehow save the ship again.

After what he did with ST, I wouldn't say I felt excited when I heard the news, for me my hunch was correct.

#1593 6 years ago
    Quoted from kst8cat:

I'm very glad I skipped this movie. After watching The Force Awakens I was so disappointed that I just lost all desire to see any future Star Wars movies. Never saw Rogue One, and I don't want to see the Han Solo movie either. I was a huge SW fan for the longest time, and I still have two entire rooms full of SW toys and collectibles, but I just really don't like what Disney has done with the new series.

the series was fawked way before disney took hold of it. Lucas started to destroy it in the 90's with adding a singing peanut and a awful jabba scene that didn't need to be there. Then finalized the nails in the coffin with a shitfest series that started in 1999.

#1594 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

the series was fawked way before disney took hold of it. Lucas started to destroy it in the 90's with adding a singing peanut and a awful jabba scene that didn't need to be there. Then finalized the nails in the coffin with a shitfest series that started in 1999.

I think that's why I'm less butthurt about the new stuff being meh. I cried my last tears for SW when Phantom Menace dropped.

#1595 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

That's all true, but at that time I was still living in denial. I was able to look past some of the goofy stuff in the special editions just for the sheer pleasure of seeing the original trilogy on the big screen. The prequels were sub-par movies but for me it took a while for it to sink in just how bad they were because I was dealing in the Star Wars figures at the time. I set up at toy shows, sold on ebay, and I had my own action figure website for a while which helped pay my way through college. I just didn't want to believe those movies were as bad as they seemed on the surface. But at least the prequels were not driven by someone's political/social agenda the way that Kathleen Kennedy has done with the new ones. That's the biggest turn-off for me personally.

#1596 6 years ago

Re-watched it last night. Found it mostly boring this time, humor had no lasting appeal. Noticed even more plot holes, fresh in my memory:

1) Why doesn't Hux just blow up Poe immediately instead of talking on phone?
    2) How does BB-8 fix the X-wing by short-circuiting it?
    3) Why are the bombers en route when Leia didn't want them to engage?
    4) The hacker betrays them by telling bad guys "Resistance is escaping on small, cloaked shops" HOW DOES HE KNOW THIS? (Rose and Finn don't)
    5) Light speed attack teleports Phasma 300 yards away from Finn and Rose (despite her standing right over them?)
    6) How does Finn drag Rose miles back to base with 10 Walkers looking right at them?

It's also really distracting how powerful Rey is. Remember in Empire (which was set a few years after New Hope) how Luke could still barely grab his lightsaber in the ice cave? Rey can zip lightsabers across rooms with ease, despite mere MINUTES passing since first movie! I hope they at least attempt to explain this, like "the force choose you as someone who could stop Kylo Ren".

Also FINN SHOULD HAVE DIED. It would have been a perfect arc from start of movie when he was running away. But NO. We need to keep him around for a Poe-Rose-Rey-Finn love quadrangle.

So sick of movies that don't function as self-contained stories.

#1597 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Re-watched it last night.

i applaud you for taking the effort to sit though that trash again. I do not think I could ever put myself through it again.

#1598 6 years ago

My two cents. I hated it.

I get the just a movie stuff, and don't blame anyone for enjoying it. But for me star wars things exist to build that universe for me, and just didn't make any sense to me and seemed to prioritize moments over anything else. I have a lot of complaints, but some of it is just piling on once I started to not like it.

My main issue was Luke contemplating murdering his nephew in his sleep, to the point where he had his light saber out, based on bad visions he had about him, or knowing he was talking to Snoke, whatever it was. The definition of Luke's character to me is that he would never give up on the good that is inside of people, as demonstrated by him never giving up on redeeming his genocidal father even as he was taking lightning up the ass.

-ben

#1599 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Re-watched it last night. Found it mostly boring this time, humor had no lasting appeal. Noticed even more plot holes, fresh in my memory:
    1) Why doesn't Hux just blow up Poe immediately instead of talking on phone?
    2) How does BB-8 fix the X-wing by short-circuiting it?
    3) Why are the bombers en route when Leia didn't want them to engage?
    4) The hacker betrays them by telling bad guys "Resistance is escaping on small, cloaked shops" HOW DOES HE KNOW THIS? (Rose and Finn don't)
    5) Light speed attack teleports Phasma 300 yards away from Finn and Rose (despite her standing right over them?)
    6) How does Finn drag Rose miles back to base with 10 Walkers looking right at them?
    It's also really distracting how powerful Rey is. Remember in Empire (which was set a few years after New Hope) how Luke could still barely grab his lightsaber in the ice cave? Rey can zip lightsabers across rooms with ease, despite mere MINUTES passing since first movie! I hope they at least attempt to explain this, like "the force choose you as someone who could stop Kylo Ren".
    Also FINN SHOULD HAVE DIED. It would have been a perfect arc from start of movie when he was running away. But NO. We need to keep him around for a Poe-Rose-Rey-Finn love quadrangle.
    So sick of movies that don't function as self-contained stories.

In regards to Rey that is because her midichlorian count is over 20,000, even higher then Master Yoda.

#1600 6 years ago

sooo, i just watched that piece with RJ and MH... omg that maniacal laugh at the beginning, I didnt realize I could dislike that dude anymore than I already did.

There are 6,234 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 125.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spoilers-star-wars-the-last-jedi-is-really-bad-spoilers/page/32 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.