Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,239 posts
  • 311 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 48 minutes ago by PanzerFreak
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi was...”

• garbage, the worst of the main films 243 votes
      34%
    • decent, better than the prequels 251 votes
      35%
    • really good, on par with the originals 80 votes
      11%
    • great! one of the best 80 votes
      11%
    • who cares, star wars sucks 55 votes
      8%

(709 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

scioli (resized).jpg
    ss1-trapped (resized).jpg
    fantastic_four_1961_48_3 (resized).jpg
    d0c0aa785c9ed124 (resized).jpeg
    b881ebbaf721aff4 (resized).jpeg
    1 (56) (resized).JPG
    the-acolyte-databank-feature-article-feature_536e2878 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1dd86362581cee58daeaeaef82eb6037 (resized).jpg
    the-acolyte-teaser-poster_506fd466 (resized).jpeg
    1 (resized).jpg
    2 (resized).jpg
    3 (resized).jpg
    6aw3vw8uep501 (resized).jpg
    GGtWnNMWMAAWx0I (resized).png
    nickcole1 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,239 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 125.
    #1501 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Shocking to see a publicly traded company’s behavior driven by money.

Oh? ESPN is losing billions and they refuse to change course. TLJ was expected to make a few hundred million more than it did.

Disney (Iger) is willing to losing billions pushing its political and social agenda in TV and movies regardless of cost to the company.

One hopes he is removed by the shareholders sooner rather than later.

#1502 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Shocking to see a publicly traded company’s behavior driven by money.

Exactly, so you would think they'd make a movie that would break the last record not fall short. TLJ toy sales are down 50%, they estimate toy sales can bring in up 3x the box office of the movie itself. In any case, I guarantee you that they will course correct, they just won't admit it publicly. Let's hope Solo is as bad as they say.....then it will become much clearer.

#1503 6 years ago

There was no way Last Jedi was going to best TFA box office. And now that Disney releases a Star Wars film per year, that pent up demand is forever gone.

That said it should have done better. It didn't make all that much more than Rogue One and is almost getting beaten right now by a C list Marvel character.

Solo will be interesting. It was a disastrous production and is probably one of the most expensive films ever made by now. If it underperforms in the slightest expect heads to roll.

#1504 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

There was no way Last Jedi was going to best TFA box office. And now that Disney releases a Star Wars film per year, that pent up demand is forever gone.
    That said it should have done better. It didn't make all that much more than Rogue One and is almost getting beaten right now by a C list Marvel character.

It was predicted to do 1.7 billion, one board member even stated it would go higher.

Factoring in the shooting and marketing costs, Jumanji has a very good chance of *profiting* just as much as The Last Jedi if not more. The movie clearly has legs while TLJ does not.

Sony must be thrilled.

#1505 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Exactly, so you would think they'd make a movie that would break the last record not fall short. TLJ toy sales are down 50%, they estimate toy sales can bring in up 3x the box office of the movie itself. In any case, I guarantee you that they will course correct, they just won't admit it publicly. Let's hope Solo is as bad as they say.....then it will become much clearer.

I don't think it was expected to beat TFA but it was expected to do far better than 1.3 billion.

Sequels rarely pull in more than the original movie. It happens but the exception not the rule.

Iger has already stated he is standing behind Kennedy, so even if Solo is a train wreck I'd be surprised if anything happens based on past events and news articles.

#1506 6 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Sequels rarely pull in more than the original movie. It happens but the exception not the rule

But trilogies are not supposed to be sequels. LOTRs final chapter smoked the prior two movies in its trilogy. Of course, TLJ was a sequel and not a true trilogy installment, felt that way anyway.

#1507 6 years ago

Just to be clear I did not say it was supposed to gross higher than TFA, I was just saying that they would TRY to make a movie that breaks the last record. Eventually, TFA's record will fall we just don't know when and how. lest we forget, in 1977 Star Wars was a game changer, the world hadn't seen anything this good in the genre. Lucas came back and made the prequels when CGI caught up with his imagination, again he did some special things visually. TFA, R1, TLJ are all just regular space flicks by comparison. Perfect example was Dredd, we all laughed, it looked like straight to video from the trailers but when people saw the movie the word of mouth got around. Alex Garland took the job seriously and the directing, acting and the visuals followed suit. JJ, Rian, Trevor and the rest of them are just OK directors....nothing special. it's like Matchbox 20 vs U2.

1 week later
    #1508 6 years ago

FB_IMG_1521497584171 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1521497584171 (resized).jpg

#1509 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

.nothing special. it's like Matchbox 20 vs U2.

Comparing TLJ or the prequels to the originals, isn't like comparing matchbox 20 to U2

it's like comparing U2 to Crispin Glovers solo music pieces.

If you never heard the works of crispin Glover, here is a sample. And there is much more where this came from.

#1510 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Comparing TLJ or the prequels to the originals, isn't like comparing matchbox 20 to U2
    it's like comparing U2 to Crispin Glovers solo music pieces.
    If you never heard the works of crispin Glover, here is a sample. And there is much more where this came from.
    » YouTube video

What the?

#1511 6 years ago

Lol.

#1512 6 years ago

Dear God. Where has Crispin Glovers music been all my life. Amazing.

#1513 6 years ago

Not to push aside Crispin Glover, who deserves another moment in the sun, but has anyone seen Ready Player One yet?

#1514 6 years ago

Man that flick looks horrendous

#1515 6 years ago

I have the actual CD of this as well. This is the most normal thing on the entire disc. It goes way more out there, than this.

#1516 6 years ago

lol, they added a bunch of bs to try and fix TLJ in the novel apparently. like Rey learned a bunch of jedi tricks from Kylo when they were force connected.

shits trash

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/03/13/star-wars-the-last-jedi-10-new-revelations-from-the-novelization

#1517 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Not to push aside Crispin Glover, who deserves another moment in the sun, but has anyone seen Ready Player One yet?

As nostalgic of a person as i am, i really have no desire to see it.

#1518 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

anyone seen Ready Player One yet?

I am so stoked, tickets already purchased for opening weekend. One of my favorite books of all-time, but I'm also being realistic. No way it can compare to the book, as I'm sure they changed a lot (licensing issues, plot points etc). But it will be fun for sure tho I haven't read anything about the movie so I'm trying to go in completely fresh.

#1519 6 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I am so stoked, tickets already purchased for opening weekend. One of my favorite books of all-time, but I'm also being realistic. No way it can compare to the book, as I'm sure they changed a lot (licensing issues, plot points etc). But it will be fun for sure tho I haven't read anything about the movie so I'm trying to go in completely fresh.

Shit, I thought it was out this week already, was planning to go with a buddy tomorrow night. Guess I'd better revisit that ...

The book was a lot of fun though, right? And it seems like it's getting decent reviews.

#1520 6 years ago

Book was an absolute blast. So many direct references to things I loved as a kid. I played that D&D Tomb of Horrors module. I loved watching Ultraman & mecagodzilla on UHF TV. So many things so many references, on & on.

For your average person watching the trailer, they might dismiss it for some dime-a-dozen CGI "VR theme" movie. It's so much more than that. Speilberg will do it up right Can't wait until next weekend.

#1521 6 years ago

The book was not great literature by any stretch, but it was a fun read and that's what's important.

The trailers' prominent car race, the attractive leads, and the obvious impossibility of getting everything licensed has me pretty skeptical about the movie.

#1522 6 years ago

Trying to think of the last time Spielberg directed anything interesting. Lincoln was probably good but not exactly pump up material.

#1523 6 years ago
    Quoted from racer_x:

The book was not great literature by any stretch, but it was a fun read and that's what's important.
    The trailers' prominent car race, the attractive leads, and the obvious impossibility of getting everything licensed has me pretty skeptical about the movie.

This is true for sure. As I said it won't be the same as the book. But I did read the other day that Spielberg was able to acquire the rights to use every intellectual property he asked for, including Star Wars (Xwings, R2D2, etc). That's pretty exciting if you ask me. Granted changing Ultraman to Iron Giant makes way more sense for the general viewing masses, so I think they should be able to pull it off.

#1524 6 years ago

I'm super excited for RP1 movie. It is my favorite book.

Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

This is true for sure. As I said it won't be the same as the book. But I did read the other day that Spielberg was able to acquire the rights to use every intellectual property he asked for, including Star Wars (Xwings, R2D2, etc). That's pretty exciting if you ask me. Granted changing Ultraman to Iron Giant makes way more sense for the general viewing masses, so I think they should be able to pull it off.

Actually Spielberg was unable to get any SW licensing for the movie so there will be no SW material in it. The Iron Giant is my favorite animated movie and I never watched Ultraman so I am really happy with that change.

*EDIT* Nevermind. Despite initial reports, there will be SW material in RP1. YEAH!

#1525 6 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

Despite initial reports, there will be SW material in RP1. YEAH!

I guess Disney owning literally everything has its upsides, one-stop shopping if you've got $$ to burn on licensing ...

#1526 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I guess Disney owning literally everything has its upsides, one-stop shopping if you've got $$ to burn on licensing ...

Not if you're spielberger...probably would have got the old buddy discount by George before!

#1527 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Not if you're spielberger...probably would have got the old buddy discount by George before!

Good point ...

#1528 6 years ago

I'm looking forward to the Solo movie, if for nothing other than Donald Glover. I was excited to hear him cast as Lando. I think he's got the chops and attitude to pull it off, and that's a character I really want to see more of.

I still want SW at this point, but nothing from RJ. I'd be interested to see a SW series, but it has to be done correctly, and advance a storyline to completion. I'm not a fan of comics, but I can't imagine anyone enjoying a show like "agents of shield" or any of the other long-running series that are running. I want to see SW told in long form in a similar fashion to GOT. Get more into the power struggles and minutia. I doubt that happens, though.

I'll certainly hold off on getting a Disney subscription until I can get a feel for the tone of the series.

#1529 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Trying to think of the last time Spielberg directed anything interesting. Lincoln was probably good but not exactly pump up material.

I enjoyed War Horse.

#1530 6 years ago
    Quoted from Geocab:

I enjoyed War Horse.

The last one I liked was AI. Probably cause he just directed, Kubrick wrote the whole damn thing.

#1531 6 years ago
    Quoted from Geocab:

I enjoyed War Horse.

Alyeska that's Spielberg... I would probably enjoy most of them, but I haven't said "oh awesome a Spielberg movie 8s coming out" in a long as time.

Quoted from kvan99:

The last one I liked was AI. Probably cause he just directed, Kubrick wrote the whole damn thing.

If the point of AI was to really stop caring about everyone in the movie other then Teddy it was a success. god he was great. I wasn't so connected to a robot again until TARS

#1532 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Trying to think of the last time Spielberg directed anything interesting.

Super 8 was pretty good.

#1533 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Super 8 was pretty good.

Haha this guys has jokes!

#1534 6 years ago

TARS was awesome. The movie itself was great but only if you’re Quantum Physicist.

#1535 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Nope not yet ........... but my friend was at the London premier with his tricked out BTTF DeLorean He got to meet Spielberg !!

Anyway - he is massive fan of book .... he said the movie is fun BUT and its a big BUT it is more 'based' on the book idea ....so a lot of stuff in the book just doesn't feature, and a bunch of stuff not in the book does.

I'm interested to see it. I really enjoyed the book, of course - as a child of the 70s 80s ...... but part of me is a little concerned. The trailers had me worried ...it didn't look like the movie I'd imagined when reading it.

#1536 6 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

*EDIT* Nevermind. Despite initial reports, there will be SW material in RP1. YEAH!

that's unfortunate. Seems anything with the SW name these days (since 1999) seems to be shit. Hopefully the SW name won't taint this movie as well.

#1537 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that's unfortunate. Seems anything with the SW name these days (since 1999) seems to be shit. Hopefully the SW name won't taint this movie as well.

Force awakens was fun as shit.... Although I agree other than that.

#1538 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yea, fun as a pile of shit.

#1539 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Yea, fun as a pile of shit.

Jesus can you ever just leave JM out of the conversations with me?

#1540 6 years ago

Good one....

#1541 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I didn’t love the TFA (it was okay), but did think it could potentially be a good lead in episode for a solid trilogy. TLJ hurts TFA’s legacy badly.

#1542 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I didn’t love the TFA (it was okay), but did think it could potentially be a good lead in episode for a solid trilogy. TLJ hurts TFA’s legacy badly.

In as far as it being apart of a trilogy it does for sure, because of course TLJ was garbage. On its own it was still great, and I'm not worried like you are aboot it's legacy, but certainly kills any chance of watching all 3 with the fam

#1543 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

yeah, that one was better than anything else we have seen in the last 20 years. But 1 out of 6 really doesn't really pull the scale.

#1544 6 years ago

https://filmgoblin.com/box-office/the-last-jedis-box-office-disaster/#numbers

In fact, when you total up all of the numbers, the budget, the rentals, the marketing, the operations, etc it looks like The Last Jedi will make a profit of around $153M — from a main story-line Star Wars movie. That’s looks like a Cash-On-Cash Return of under one.

That means there is already $627M missing from The Last Jedi’s P & L report when compared to The Force Awakens. And that’s before anyone cracks open the actuals of the Chinese marketing debacle that saw massive, massive outlays with no return.

Here is the takeaway: An amount equivalent to 80% profit of The Force Awakens – from ALL venues and platforms worldwide – is missing from The Last Jedi’s balance sheet.

#1545 6 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

In fact, when you total up all of the numbers, the budget, the rentals, the marketing, the operations, etc it looks like The Last Jedi will make a profit of around $153M — from a main story-line Star Wars movie. That’s looks like a Cash-On-Cash Return of under one.
    That means there is already $627M missing from The Last Jedi’s P & L report when compared to The Force Awakens. And that’s before anyone cracks open the actuals of the Chinese marketing debacle that saw massive, massive outlays with no return.
    Here is the takeaway: An amount equivalent to 80% profit of The Force Awakens – from ALL venues and platforms worldwide – is missing from The Last Jedi’s balance sheet.

Good to see that you’re still reading nothing but objective, clear eyed analyses on this topic. I too get most of my film news from the film goblin.

#1546 6 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Now, that's an analysis. Has he been reading our posts? Our Prophecy will not be complete till Solo bombs, KK is fired and RJ's trilogy gets sold to SYFY channel.

#1547 6 years ago

I was thinking of downloading the SW movie, but after this thread im gonna go and rewatch Miami Vice instead...

#1548 6 years ago
    Quoted from Luzur:

I was thinking of downloading the SW movie, but after this thread im gonna go and rewatch Miami Vice instead...

Series or movie? I’d go series. Though it only airs in Spanish on Univision in the US these days.

#1549 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Sure does. TFA builds up all this excitement for Rey to find Luke as Luke himself left a piece of a map to be found one day if he was ever needed again. Then in TLJ we find out he's grumpy, wants to die alone on the island and tells Rey that the resistance doesn't need Luke Skywalker...doesn't make any sense at all. Oh and he nearly killed his nephew as he was having some dark thoughts....

Check out the deleted scenes below. Two of the scenes are with Luke and actually add to his character development yet were cut from the film, again doesn't make any sense at all.

#1550 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Series or movie? I’d go series. Though it only airs in Spanish on Univision in the US these days.

Series of course, got the whole show in a folder on my PC, i wont touch that new thing they call "Miami Vice".

There are 6,239 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 125.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spoilers-star-wars-the-last-jedi-is-really-bad-spoilers/page/31 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.