Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,239 posts
  • 311 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 hours ago by PanzerFreak
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi was...”

• garbage, the worst of the main films 243 votes
      34%
    • decent, better than the prequels 251 votes
      35%
    • really good, on par with the originals 80 votes
      11%
    • great! one of the best 80 votes
      11%
    • who cares, star wars sucks 55 votes
      8%

(709 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

scioli (resized).jpg
    ss1-trapped (resized).jpg
    fantastic_four_1961_48_3 (resized).jpg
    d0c0aa785c9ed124 (resized).jpeg
    b881ebbaf721aff4 (resized).jpeg
    1 (56) (resized).JPG
    the-acolyte-databank-feature-article-feature_536e2878 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1dd86362581cee58daeaeaef82eb6037 (resized).jpg
    the-acolyte-teaser-poster_506fd466 (resized).jpeg
    1 (resized).jpg
    2 (resized).jpg
    3 (resized).jpg
    6aw3vw8uep501 (resized).jpg
    GGtWnNMWMAAWx0I (resized).png
    nickcole1 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,239 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 125.
    #1351 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Here is the clip I was talking about.
    » YouTube video

Yes, he is clearly being forced to say good things there and the second video I posted confirms that.

#1352 6 years ago

Hey remember when JJ Abrams spent two months justifying his choice in The Force Awakens?

Oh wait he didn't...

On Monday we get the Han Solo trailer! The production that is every bit as much of a disaster as Justice League but Disney is better at spin than WB.

#1353 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Hey remember when JJ Abrams spent two months justifying his choice in The Force Awakens?
    Oh wait he didn't...
    On Monday we get the Han Solo trailer! The production that is every bit as much of a disaster as Justice League but Disney is better at spin than WB.

if it was a good trailer they would have ponied up to show it during the super bowl. not a good sign they went with the monday after it lol. its not like it isnt ready at this point.

#1354 6 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

if it was a good trailer they would have ponied up to show it during the super bowl. not a good sign they went with the monday after it lol. its not like it isnt ready at this point.

Can’t compete with the Clydesdales!

#1355 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I heard there won’t be any Super Bowl commercials featuring the Clydesdales this year.

#1356 6 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

I heard there won’t be any Super Bowl commercials featuring the Clydesdales this year.

Wow, I am getting old. Just that “dilly dally” crap then? Or maybe they’ll bring back “Waaaaaaasssuuuuup”

#1357 6 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Limit the bleeding, 5 million for 30 second spot.

Which in the big picture that is a drop in the bucket if they are going to be out 200-300 million making the picture with re-shoots.

Still, I'd imagine the accountants have some say in these things. A Monday drop is a safe bet, there will still have eyeballs on it and lets face it to some degree a "niche" film.

#1358 6 years ago

Why spend $5 mil on a Super Bowl ad to reach 100 million viewers when you can release the trailer for free on YouTube and get 150 million views?

#1359 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Quoted from vicjw66:

https://parade.com/640756/ccopelan/why-you-wont-see-the-budweiser-clydesdales-in-any-2018-super-bowl-commercials/

#1360 6 years ago

How is their canned water any different from their beers? OH SNAP!

#1361 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

How is their canned water any different from their beers? OH SNAP!

Epic burn!

On a serious note though, why not have the Clydesdales pulling up to a FEMA trailer with a wagon load of canned water?

#1362 6 years ago

I don’t want to be reminded of all the natural disasters and human turmoil during the Super Bowl just so they can say “look at us and all the good we did.” I just want to relax and enjoy a good game. F@#k A. Busch and their canned water.

#1363 6 years ago

Inside the mind of Kennedy, head of Lucasfilm..

#1364 6 years ago

I just missed the Solo trailer during the Super Bowl! Was not expecting it to air tonight!

#1365 6 years ago

The Han Solo teaser could have used more Han Solo.

#1366 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

That’s why it’s a teaser! Glad to see that Woody Harelson’s comb-over was prominently featured though.

#1367 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

I thought is was odd trailer, music was good though. Hearing the SW theme with horns was a welcome twist.

"Best pilot in the galaxy" line was a bit cringe worthy.

#1369 6 years ago

It actually looks pretty good. It looks like it will be way better than TLJ. What is with the English accents all of a sudden? I know everyone in a Galaxy far far away isn't always American but it seem there are far more English accents than there used to be.

#1370 6 years ago

English accents are used a shorthand in movies to imply "imperialism".

Same reason the Romans had British accents back in the sword & sandal movies.

#1371 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

That’s why it’s a teaser! Glad to see that Woody Harelson’s comb-over was prominently featured though.

He's got an Ernie McCracken thing going on there...

#1372 6 years ago
    Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

He's got an Ernie McCracken thing going on there...

Hey, call me “Ernie” or “Big Ern.”

#1373 6 years ago

ouch.

Still like the music, the actor ALMOST looks the part but dialog and the guys voice... yikes.

Bad dialog and a voice not even close to Harrison Ford's is painful. Would have been off not having any of his dialog at all in the trailer.

Maybe they can hire Harrison Ford to overdub the guy.

#1374 6 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

ouch.
    Still like the music, the actor ALMOST looks the part but dialog and the guys voice... yikes.
    Bad dialog and a voice not even close to Harrison Ford's is painful. Would have been off not having any of his dialog at all in the trailer.
    Maybe they can hire Harrison Ford to overdub the guy.

I had the same problem with the Han actor (who I actually liked in “Hail Caesar”). Maybe I’ll get over it over the course of the film, but when you’ve got a guy who looks about the same age as Han in the original SW and his voice, mannerisms, and affect are all quite different, you’re setting him up to fail. Not that you want a Harrison Ford impersonator either, it may just be a flawed idea for a movie.

Or maybe it’ll end up like James Bond where they cast a new Han every couple of years and no one thinks anything of it.

#1375 6 years ago

I don't get they whole he needs to be like Harrison Ford thing. Lots of actors play the same role and no one expects them to emulate each other. Ewan emulated a couple of mannerism of Alec but it's not like he didn't make the role his own. Ewan is a Scot and Alec is from London. At least Harrison and Alden are both American.

#1376 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

I don't get they whole he needs to be like Harrison Ford thing. Lots of actors play the same role and no one expects them to emulate each other. Ewan emulated a couple of mannerism of Alec but it's not like he didn't make the role his own. Ewan is a Scot and Alec is from London. At least Harrison and Alden are both American.

At least for me, part of the problem was the age gap. With Obi Wan, you see him 40 years earlier, you expect him to seem different. With Han, it feels like this thing is set a year or two before we first met him in Mos Eisley.

Like I said, maybe it won't bother me when watching the movie, but I definitely noticed it in the preview.

#1377 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I had the same problem with the Han actor (who I actually liked in “Hail Caesar”). Maybe I’ll get over it over the course of the film, but when you’ve got a guy who looks about the same age as Han in the original SW and his voice, mannerisms, and affect are all quite different, you’re setting him up to fail. Not that you want a Harrison Ford impersonator either, it may just be a flawed idea for a movie.
    Or maybe it’ll end up like James Bond where they cast a new Han every couple of years and no one thinks anything of it.

Check this guy out- He gets the voice and mannerisms perfect

#1378 6 years ago

Well too early to judge the actors from one short teaser. Again whole movie hangs on audience believing Ehrenreich & Glover are young Solo & Lando. If they are able to pull it off, then the movie has a great chance of succeeding.

Thankfully the movie has the gritty, darkened look of Rogue One, different from the Episodes.

So a clean brand new Millennium Falcon? Body of Falcon slightly different (tuning fork front end is one piece)? I'm very intrigued. The Falcon is just as important as any of the characters in this movie.

I'm more optimistic than I was before

cleanfalcon (resized).JPGcleanfalcon (resized).JPG
    Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#1379 6 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Well too early to judge the actors from one short teaser. Again whole movie hangs on audience believing Ehrenreich & Glover are young Solo & Lando. If they are able to pull it off, then the movie has a great chance of succeeding.
    Thankfully the movie has the gritty, darkened look of Rogue One, different from the Episodes.
    So a clean brand new Millennium Falcon? Body of Falcon slightly different (tuning fork front end is one piece)? I'm very intrigued. The Falcon is just as important as any of the characters in this movie.
    I'm more optimistic than I was before

Falcon was well worn already when Han won it in a game of cards with Lando. Little reconning going on there.

Easier to sell more new toys! Collect them all!

#1380 6 years ago

I wonder if they’ll do a “how Han got his
    chin scar” moment a la Last Crusade.

#1381 6 years ago

Cautious optimism setting in. I.....cant be hurt.....again.....

#1382 6 years ago
    Quoted from Flowst:

Cautious optimism setting in. I.....cant be hurt.....again..

Don’t get too excited. I predicted weeks ago that Kennedy is going to have Han save Chewbacca from some type of animal abuse circus ran by some incompetent white dude - mark it down, that will be a big plot point they will use. Kennedy won’t be able to help herself.

#1384 6 years ago

This is the first one I'm not going to see on opening night. I'm going to wait until some people's opinions I trust are formed before I am further disenfranchised from my favorite thing of all time.

#1385 6 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Check this guy out- He gets the voice and mannerisms perfect
    » YouTube video

It's his casting in Age of Adeline that makes you wonder what could have been.

#1386 6 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Falcon was well worn already when Han won it in a game of cards with Lando. Little reconning going on there.

Considering that story has never been told as part of official cannon, you're connecting a lot of dots here. The card game of sabacc story? That's all extended universe stuff, all thrown in the garbage can. Sure they are gamblers, but nobody really knows the details of that story, so they can come up with whatever they want based on ESB dialog....

LANDO: What have you done to my ship?

HAN: Your ship? Hey, remember, you lost her to me fair and square.

LANDO: You know, that ship saved my life quite a few times. She's the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

Granted the card story is pretty much accepted by all fans, they'd be pretty stupid to change the story. But that has never stopped KK before, so who knows. Considering Han/Lando are in their early 20s in this movie & early 30s in the original trilogy, I think a decade of Han/Chewie smuggling adventures is plenty of time to turn a new falcon into a fast modified hunk of junk.

All I'm saying is that I'm more interested in the story than I was before. I can see smooth young Lando proud of his shiny new ship in this movie, and a crew of smugglers & scoundrels join him & Han on an adventure & just trash the hell out of it through course of the movie.

#1387 6 years ago

Everyone knows Han won the M.F. in a truth telling contest 2 towns over...

#1388 6 years ago

Disney had a pretty good quarterly earnings report, but I have to laugh with the analysts saying there is "Star Wars fatigue" and this is to blame for the last movie missing expectations...I've read this now twice this afternoon. Neither time did the respective author mention the possibility that the last movie just wasn't a good installment and the "fatigue" they reference is actually just a reaction to weak product.

The media refuses to acknowledge this "fatigue" is self inflicted by RJ and KK pushing their personal agendas over the best interest of the franchise, combined with a trilogy that wasn't even mapped out and doesn't feel cohesive.

#1389 6 years ago

Just saw this. Sounds like we are going to have a lot of Star Wars coming up!
    https://movieweb.com/star-wars-movies-games-of-thrones-david-benioff-db-weiss/

#1390 6 years ago
    Quoted from henrydwh:

When I first saw the article, I thought it was fake, but nope, confirmed from starwars.com. This is incredible news Best writer/producer combo working today gets their own SW trilogy. The sky is the limit with these guys. Game of Thrones fans already know.

Who wants to bet that Rian Johnson's trilogy is dead in the water & he quietly moves onto other projects within 6 months?

#1391 6 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Who wants to bet that Rian Johnson's trilogy is dead in the water & he quietly moves onto other projects within 6 months?

I do.

#1392 6 years ago

Oh for sure there's Star Wars fatigue. They're releasing a movie every damn year now!

#1393 6 years ago

I’m going to guess Greedo was Han’s partner before Chewie came along.

#1394 6 years ago
    Quoted from henrydwh:

Hard R Star Wars? Should be fun!

#1395 6 years ago

Before you get too excited by the “Game of Thrones producers” announcement, please remember they were using award winning fantasy fiction for the first few seasons.
    The TV show is on cable where nudity, sex and gratuitous violence are demanded. They exhausted the source material. I myself was really dissapointed by the story telling they created to advance the overall story. Too rushed, felt like fan faction to me.
    It will be interesting to see how they do with an open concept Star Wars film. Apples to Oranges.

Just to satisfy the thread, The Last Jedi is really, really bad

#1396 6 years ago
    Quoted from Flowst:

Before you get too excited by the “Game of Thrones producers” excitement, please remember they were using award winning fantasy fiction for the first few seasons.
    The TV show is on cable where nudity, sex and gratuitous violence are demanded. They exhausted the source material. I myself was really dissapointed by the story telling they crested to advance the overall story. Too rushed, felt like fan faction to me.
    It will be interesting to see how they do with an open concept Star Wars film. Apples to Oranges.

This.

#1397 6 years ago
    Quoted from Flowst:

Before you get too excited by the “Game of Thrones producers” excitement, please remember they were using award winning fantasy fiction for the first few seasons.
    The TV show is on cable where nudity, sex and gratuitous violence are demanded. They exhausted the source material. I myself was really dissapointed by the story telling they crested to advance the overall story. Too rushed, felt like fan faction to me.

But at least Dinklage will be a shoe-in for R2.

#1398 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Oh for sure there's Star Wars fatigue. They're releasing a movie every damn year now!

If the product was good that would be a feature. Since the product was not good it’s a problem for them.

#1399 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

And a series of TV shows.

Interesting to witness in a way, a company destroying a franchise in real time.

Rather than go slow and turn out a quality product (Think what Pixar was at one time) they are going to shotgun the market with as much as possible.

People will just get sick of being bombarded with sub-par product and stop going.

#1400 6 years ago

I'm pretty sure I saw Maz in the Han trailer, called that. Probably how they will try and tie Maz to Lando/ Bespin to get Luke's lightsaber.

There are 6,239 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 125.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spoilers-star-wars-the-last-jedi-is-really-bad-spoilers/page/28 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.