Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,233 posts
  • 311 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by HoakyPoaky
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi was...”

• garbage, the worst of the main films 243 votes
      34%
    • decent, better than the prequels 251 votes
      35%
    • really good, on par with the originals 80 votes
      11%
    • great! one of the best 80 votes
      11%
    • who cares, star wars sucks 55 votes
      8%

(709 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

scioli (resized).jpg
    ss1-trapped (resized).jpg
    fantastic_four_1961_48_3 (resized).jpg
    d0c0aa785c9ed124 (resized).jpeg
    b881ebbaf721aff4 (resized).jpeg
    1 (56) (resized).JPG
    the-acolyte-databank-feature-article-feature_536e2878 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1dd86362581cee58daeaeaef82eb6037 (resized).jpg
    the-acolyte-teaser-poster_506fd466 (resized).jpeg
    1 (resized).jpg
    2 (resized).jpg
    3 (resized).jpg
    6aw3vw8uep501 (resized).jpg
    GGtWnNMWMAAWx0I (resized).png
    nickcole1 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,233 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 125.
    #1201 6 years ago

the worst part about Ackbar's death is the characters did not even acknowledge it. blink and you miss it

#1202 6 years ago

New poll what is more disappointing, Star Wars 8 or the new Stern Star Wars!

#1203 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Nothing like it was for our toys no doubt, but they are still SW toys. You have to think less "Leae with Force Grip" and more "Star Wars Legos."

Star Wars literally saved Lego from bankruptcy...
    http://www.slateandmain.com/blog/how-star-wars-saved-lego

SW_lego_large (resized).jpgSW_lego_large (resized).jpg

Later,
    EV

#1204 6 years ago
    Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

the movie, the pins have always sucked, the movies have a few good ones at least

#1205 6 years ago

Stern Star Wars is great. Have you played it yet?

#1206 6 years ago

$50 for TLJ: huge disappointment.

$8000 for Stern SW: bigger punch to gut.

#1207 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

$50 for TLJ: huge disappointment.
    $8000 for Stern SW: bigger punch to gut.

You need to shop around, you're overpaying for everything.

#1208 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Just what I was thinking...man I'd be pissed if my SW cost 8K too.

#1209 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

LOL...I rounded, but the ball parks are correct. Family of 4 to movies...easily $50. Stern SWLE: Well over $7000.

#1210 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I just picked up an HUO SW LE a few weeks back. Incredible game, especially with 1.0 code. I've been very impressed so far, especially by the amount of unique game modes and excellent use of licensed assets.

#1211 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I played about 10 games on the pro and just couldnt get into it. Maybe i need more time on it.

#1212 6 years ago

I played the pro a few weeks back. I didn't walk away from it thinking"what the fuck just happened" like I did when I left the theater.

#1213 6 years ago

Today's humor installment

5a557f64aad6b (resized).jpeg5a557f64aad6b (resized).jpeg

#1214 6 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Today's humor installment

and it's a better movie than what we just saw.

#1215 6 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

I've been in the business for over 40 years. TLJ will make over 2 billion. (It's approaching 1.4 billion and not even done with world theatrical)!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain/2018/01/12/last-jedi-sets-new-global-record-with-94-friday-to-friday-box-office-plunge-in-china/#15d8e4b073a1

"Star Wars: The Last Jedi has added another eye-popping record to its trophy case: it has just experienced the biggest Friday-to-Friday box office plunge that I’ve ever seen recorded for a big-budget wide release film. The much-derided sequel was abandoned by Chinese moviegoers, who dropped just $553,000 into the movie’s coffers on Friday, 94 percent less than the tepid $9.4 million opening day it slogged through last Friday."

"The Star Wars sequel’s rapid disappearance from Hollywood’s biggest overseas territory has jeopardized its chance of reaching $1.3 billion in global theatrical revenues. It currently stands at $1.29 billion in combined domestic and international grosses, with no other remaining territories in which to release."

Quoted from spfxted:

Trust me, Disney is fine. The Star Wars franchise is fine.

The train is fine.

Ya'll might need some salt for that crow pie, it has not hit 1.3 billion yet (boxofficemojo states 1.23 billion today) let alone approach 1.4.

Like I said, 2 billion is a pipe dream. They are actually pulling it from screens in China for more profitable movies.

#1216 6 years ago

Ted was clearly way off on his $2b prediction, though you have to give him credit for sticking to his number in the face of all the data.

But he was 100% right when he said that Disney and the SW franchise are fine. I get that you feel they've destroyed the franchise because "SJW" or whatever, and that you badly want TLJ to be such a financial failure that Disney goes crawling back to George Lucas to save them from themselves. But even if it underperformed expectations (and I have to wonder if Disney's projections were anywhere near your and Ted's $2b), TLJ was undeniable a $$$ machine. It's currently #6 all time domestic gross, #12 world wide gross. Even people that hated the movie can acknowledge that Disney's made hundreds of millions in profit on the box office receipts alone at those numbers, despite your back of the envelope calculations.

So you can say it sucked and was a total disappointment as a film. Even I, a relative TLJ super fan by the standards of this thread, could only muster a "more enjoyable than not." But to call it a (financial) train wreck, a bomb, a salty crow pie, or whatever metaphor we're reduced to at this point, is a little silly.

Unless your metric is solely the Chinese market. Which is indisputably make-or-break when your films consistently gross top-ten all time domestic. And looking at those numbers, TLJ was indeed an epic flop with only $40m Chinese gross. As was TFA (top grossing domestic film of all time, #3 world wide) with a paltry $124m. In fact, looking at TFA's China numbers, it's a little difficult to believe Disney even bothered to continue the latest trilogy. How will they survive this back-to-back box office bloodbath?

#1217 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I get that you feel they've destroyed the franchise because "SJW" or whatever

Ding Ding.

Man that Chinese market shit has to stop. As I posted long ago China don't do SW and they never have. Sequels don't do as well so they already knew it wasn;t going to give them the tiny bit they got for TFA, so what little amount isn't really worth talking aboot. And as I also mentioned before the take home from China isn;t as big as other places so that small number is even smaller.

EDIT: So far it's done 100mil less in China. What do they get from that 20-30 -40%? Not the end of the world.

#1218 6 years ago

Or maybe the Chinese just know a crap movie when they see one. Star Wars probably doesn't translate well.

#1219 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Or maybe the Chinese just know a crap movie when they see one. Star Wars probably doesn't translate well.

It's an interesting thought - how good are these new SW films AS FILMS when you remove the nostalgia element? Does linking every movie to every other movie cause confusion when going into new markets?

Hey check out what James Cameron's standalone movies do over there:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&country=CH&id=titanic3d.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&country=CH&id=avatar.htm

Maybe Disney bought Fox for Avatar since SW is a dud in China?

#1220 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I get that you feel they've destroyed the franchise because "SJW" or whatever, and that you badly want TLJ to be such a financial failure that Disney goes crawling back to George Lucas to save them from themselves.

One would hope Disney would put someone competent in charge of the franchise which is all one could hope for.

Frankly, I would not put Lucas back in charge if it was my choice.

Quoted from fosaisu:

But even if it underperformed expectations (and I have to wonder if Disney's projections were anywhere near your and Ted's $2b), TLJ was undeniable a $$$ machine.

The 2 billion dollar+ number is what was projected, one or two sources indicated it might be the first 3 billion dollar movie...

Quoted from fosaisu:

It's currently #6 all time domestic gross, #12 world wide gross.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

The Last Jedi is way down there at 48th, currently.

Quoted from fosaisu:

Even people that hated the movie can acknowledge that Disney's made hundreds of millions in profit on the box office receipts alone at those numbers, despite your back of the envelope calculations.

My numbers are backed up by several sources including the New York Times and Forbes, I'm good with that.

Again you wave away the fact I already stated Disney is going to make a profit, but they will come up several hundred million less than projected in ticket sales.

Quoted from fosaisu:

But to call it a (financial) train wreck, a bomb, a salty crow pie, or whatever metaphor we're reduced to at this point, is a little silly.

Is it going to make the projected 2 billion+? No it is not. You can call it what you want.

How about performing worse than expected? Does that make you feel better?

#1221 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

EDIT: So far it's done 100mil less in China.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=starwars8.htm

China = $28,702,843 as of 1/7/18

#1222 6 years ago

You know that fan theory that Jar Jar was a sith lord? Maybe JJ and RJ took that idea and said let's do that except it obviously can't be Jar Jar, we'll make it Poe. He was pretty good at wiping out the Rebels in TLJ and he's an exceptional pilot sorta like Young Anakin and pod racing so he may have the Force flowing through him. What do you think?

Oh wait, they didn't have a plan making this trilogy. I keep trying to repress that.

#1223 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

» YouTube video

Now we are getting somewhere!

Turned on the TV this evening and that precise scene was playing on HBO. For a moment I wondered if my smart TV was somehow tracking my YouTube views...

#1224 6 years ago

Yes and TFA did 128ish making it 100 million less...like I just said

#1225 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yes and TFA did 128ish making it 100 million less...like I just said

Ah thanks for the context, did not realize you were referencing TFA

#1226 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

But he was 100% right when he said that Disney and the SW franchise are fine. I get that you feel they've destroyed the franchise because "SJW" or whatever, and that you badly want TLJ to be such a financial failure that Disney goes crawling back to George Lucas to save them from themselves. But even if it underperformed expectations (and I have to wonder if Disney's projections were anywhere near your and Ted's $2b), TLJ was undeniable a $$$ machine

I agree TLJ made a bunch of money, but the damage done to the franchise is almost impossible for Disney to recover from. When you have a movie that alienates your fan base it is felt on future movie releases.

Excitement like what Star Wars “had” cannot be forced on the public, it has to organically grow. What could they possibly do to get people excited and talking about the next movie in anticipation of release now? Nothing, not even canning Kennedy will bring any interest in the next movie.

Star Wars will always be a big franchise and it will have future $1 billion releases I am sure, but the days of people going to see it I. Mass four or five times on release are over and it’s because of the TLJ.

#1227 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I agree TLJ made a bunch of money, but the damage done to the franchise is almost impossible for Disney to recover from. When you have a movie that alienates your fan base it is felt on future movie releases.
    Excitement like what Star Wars “had” cannot be forced on the public, it has to organically grow. What could they possibly do to get people excited and talking about the next movie in anticipation of release now? Nothing, not even canning Kennedy will bring any interest in the next movie.
    Star Wars will always be a big franchise and it will have future $1 billion releases I am sure, but the days of people going to see it I. Mass four or five times on release are over and it’s because of the TLJ.

Tiger, yes SW is a big franchise but wasn't Alien and the rest of the superhero bunch big at one time? They've canned Tron, JD, Blade Runner, Alien, The Watchmen Terminator etc, all because of poor earnings. I think Solo will be the litmus test for this experiment. KK may go bye-bye if Solo splatters.

#1228 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Haha Over dramatic much?

#1229 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Haha Over dramatic much?

Yes, I probably should not have used the word impossible. Nevertheless, Disney does have a challenge on their hands. They should have written the entire trilogy in one go and had a direction for the story.

#1230 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

You sure about that? There have been people who have stated they didn't like the film that have also said they saw TLJ mutiple times. Once was enough for me.

#1231 6 years ago

I’m a huge fan & bought tickets to see TFA FIVE times on opening weekend. First Star Wars Movie in over a decade, Luke & everyone back to finish the story, total runaway hype machine. Fan service reboot practically. Tons of Star Wars fans did the same thing. Hence huge, $2B+ box office receipts.

Even I’ll admit five times in 3 days is crazy, so for Rogue One, I went 3 times opening weekend. Then went to see it 2 more times before it left theaters, because I enjoyed it so much. So did the majority of diehard fans. Good word of mouth.

But TLJ was a different story. Booked tickets for 3 times opening weekend. Hated it after first viewing, reluctantly went to see it again the following day, and was so discouraged I decided to get a refund on my Sunday tickets before leaving the theater. Just didn’t want to see it again. Word of mouth after first weekend was worst of any Star Wars film. Diehard fans took a step back, didn’t buy as many tickets as before. Thus box office numbers dropped quickly.

Now you have the suspected dumpster fire Solo coming out in May. There’s no trailers, posters or hype for this movie, which is a bad sign. You have lost the momentum & enthusiasm of your diehard fans that you always took for granted. I’m only getting one ticket to see it opening weekend, and if it’s as bad as I suspect, I know I won’t see it again.

What happens for Episode 9? I don’t really care. Sorry Disney. You really effed up.

Now $1.5-2B box office receipts are not guaranteed. You’ve oversaturated the market with a poor product & you have to re-earn the trust of your diehard fans. You killed Luke Skywalker. We are entering new Star Wars territory that’s for sure.

#1232 6 years ago

I think the biggest take away for me, and others I have spoken to who didn't like it much, is that we don't give a f what happens in the next episode.

Will be interesting to see how the numbers play out in the future.

This will definitely be the first one i don't purchase.

#1233 6 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

I think the biggest take away for me, and others I have spoken to who didn't like it much, is that we don't give a f what happens in the next episode.

Im just going to force project myself to the theatre to see episode 9. Then i can easily piss off if its as crap as tlj.

#1234 6 years ago

Morning humor!

5a5a2bdad49be (resized).jpeg5a5a2bdad49be (resized).jpeg

#1235 6 years ago

I will be very interested myself. There s gonna be a bunch of damage control by JJ before would be my guess and once everyone is promised to make things better most people will be back in the theatre.
    Are you not counting Solo movie as a SW moving you won't be seeing?

#1236 6 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

(It's approaching 1.4 billion and not even done with world theatrical)!

So, you don't think the film can make another 600 million or so from Pay Per View, Cable, DVD, Blu-Ray, and TV sales?

#1237 6 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

So, you don't think the film can make another 600 million or so from Pay Per View, Cable, DVD, Blu-Ray, and TV sales?

Discussing box office receipts, currently at $1,268,956,584

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=starwars8.htm

Still pulling in 2-5 million a day, I'm curious if it will hit 1.3 billion before the theatrical run is over.

#1238 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Are you not counting Solo movie as a SW moving you won't be seeing?

I don't think I ever said I won't see another SW movie.

I said I wont see the next 1 day 1 like all the others I've been able to in my life and that I probably wont ever watch TLJ again.

I have no idea about the Solo movie but I doubt I will see it day 1 either, maybe wait and see what word of mouth is before I spend any money on it. Probably just wait for redbox tbh tho.

#1239 6 years ago

box office sales really doesn't say if a movie is good or not.

the twilight series is complete ass, and those earn well.

Yet a movie like, Momento is brilliant , yet didn't do shit in the boxoffice.

#1240 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

box office sales really doesn't say if a movie is good or not. the twilight series is complete ass, and those earn well.
    Yet a movie like, Momento is brilliant , yet didn't do shit in the boxoffice.

No doubt. We've been talking financials because many people detested TLJ and want the box office numbers to reflect their feelings, in hopes that Disney will be forced into a course-correction for the SW franchise. None of that changes the artistic merits of the movie itself. But if Disney feels they've left a bunch of money on the table by pissing off graying space nerds, they'll probably make changes going forward. They're a for-profit corporation, after all.

#1241 6 years ago

“Graying space nerds”, out comes the you’re old card yet again.
    The defense rests and drops the mic. No further argument necessary.
    So anyone who enjoyed the legacy of the star wars universe prior to Disney taking over should check in to the nursing home now.
    On my way, ill ponder why Disney is buying up one intellectual property after another and trying to corner the market on anything pop culture in the late millennium.
    Certainly there was no need for that 4 billion dollar purchase since they could have EASILY marketed socialist and feminist agendas outside of the SW universe.
    Correct, the Last Jedi was a masterpiece of writing, pacing and character development!

0061165A-D76F-4015-B718-CB18A9B48EF8 (resized).jpeg0061165A-D76F-4015-B718-CB18A9B48EF8 (resized).jpeg

#1242 6 years ago

im a 32 non grayed space nerd //sad face

#1243 6 years ago

47 years old here.
    I became a professional pilot thanks to that 1977 film. Never outgrew my desire to race around in an X-Wing fighter.
    When I saw Disney bought Lucasfilm, I was cautiously optimistic.
    I looked forward to seeing what JJ Abrams had to offer; left dissapointed but entertained from his play it safe rehash.
    Rogue one looked exciting, enjoyed the action and nostagia but felt the characters were very boring.
    The Last Jedi? Start to finish bored and angered by the script. Production values were of course excellent as I expected

#1244 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

But if Disney feels they've left a bunch of money on the table by pissing off graying space nerds, ....

Well I think what I've learned is that is an over simplification of things. Every male person I know around my age, 38-46 let's say, hates the Prequels. I literally am close friends with NOT ONE person that thinks they are anything more than a comedy watch because of how bad they are. But a lot of people here, I would presume many older, think they are acceptable and better than these last 2 which is very interesting.

It's pretty mixed on R1, most people loved TFA, and I think only 1 person really dug TLJ but he usually goes on a bunch of ketamine and shit so that data is sketchy.

There's all kinds out there.

I'll go check out the next one probably but I'll have more free time by then. Don;t have any plans on seeing Solo but I'll wait till the trailer. But I haven't been interested in a Ron Hoard movie in 15+ years.

#1245 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Don;t have any plans on seeing Solo but I'll wait till the trailer.

solo (resized).jpgsolo (resized).jpg

#1246 6 years ago

i have gave it another try... (third)
    this .... movie.... sucks......

EP1 was a masterpiece , comparing to these stupid SATC alike piece of sh*t.
    thank you for destroying 40 years of male phantasies.

Alien was cool, and there was a women the main character.
    5th element was cool, either
    deep throat.. furious
    Ep7 .. no problem .. i liked it.
    one of the best SW movies.
    But this one .. i am so ANGRY .. never felt so much anger about a movie

#1248 6 years ago

Speaking of Solo..

5a56aafd2ffaf (resized).jpeg5a56aafd2ffaf (resized).jpeg

#1249 6 years ago

im a 32 non grayed space nerd //sad face

Yes the old gray space nerd canard... who just happens to have piles and piles of disposable income.

You think it would be a demographic they would be trying to attract.

Just saying.

#1250 6 years ago

Why not do a crossover with the Avengers universe?

There are 6,233 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 125.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spoilers-star-wars-the-last-jedi-is-really-bad-spoilers/page/25?hl=jason43 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.