2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,686 posts
  • 285 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by kvan99
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi was...”

• garbage, the worst of the main films 212 votes
      33%
    • decent, better than the prequels 239 votes
      37%
    • really good, on par with the originals 79 votes
      12%
    • great! one of the best 74 votes
      11%
    • who cares, star wars sucks 43 votes
      7%

(647 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 297 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

684d93fd754d9819 (resized).png
    Carrie Fisher (resized).jpg
    starwarsgarbage-1 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200205-020016_Chrome (resized).jpg
    e125246d7cffebcb (resized).jpg
    hand (resized).jpeg
    20 (resized).png
    19 (resized).png
    18 (resized).jpg
    17 (resized).jpg
    16 (resized).jpg
    15 (resized).jpg
    14 (resized).jpg
    13 (resized).jpg
    12 (resized).jpg
    11 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4686 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 94.
    #1101 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Rotten Tomatoes is horseshit.

Accurate reflection of reality.

Just look at the comments in this thread, the movie is bombing out. No less than Forbes is pointing out the damage done to the franchise. It is under performing by 300 million and when all is said and done looking to be short 700-800 million under projections.

Disney packaged poop in a box with a Star Wars decal on it and got a bunch of suckers in the first few weeks, now the rest have figured out its a turd and want nothing to do with it.

Even the director Rian Johnson is starting to flee and has stated JJ Abrams can reverse changes he made.

Whats Abrams going to do? Have the Enterprise warp slingshot back in time and space to stop Disney from mucking the whole thing up? LOL

5a413de4afaac (resized).png

#1102 2 years ago

Oh, that's some funny shit right there!

#1103 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Even the director Rian Johnson is staring to flee and has stated JJ Abrams can reverse changes he made.
    Whats Abrams going to do?

Well we all knew that was coming cause JJ was making the next one.

Slingshot was funny, but he'll frikken bring back Phasma for sure, he'll 100000% bring back Luke because he's pissed as a lot of the viewers and hammil's the way they can win them back. Jesus what else...explain the Princess Poppins thing ASAP, not be so racist aboot Finn hopefully...can;t think of anything else of the top but man he's gonna do a lot.
    EDIT: Oh Rey's parents being nobody was a lie

#1104 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

I'll humor you here for a second but before that I just want to point out that you're now over 20 posts deep in this thread, spending a lot of time on something you supposedly hate. If it's so weak, why don't you move on and spend your time more productively? Movies are art. There's no "right" or "wrong" answer here. Some people liked it, some people didn't. So what? You're so concerned with forcing your opinion down everybody else's throat that you can't let it go. As I originally said, some of you have over-invested yourselves in the thing so now you're massively let down. Not everybody sees it like you or has the same taste or opinions as you do. Why can't you let that go?
    So, what was "cool" about the movie to me?
    The opening sequence: I liked the bombers and the direction Poe's character is taking.
    Kylo Ren's character was more "real" than past villains and this movie continued to flesh him out. Same thing goes for Luke's character. The lines between good and evil are blurring a lot more in these newer movies and I kind of dig that.
    I LIKE how certain things were never explained. For example, who's Snoke? Like the Emperor, he's just some mysterious guy, then he gets killed. I see a lot of people bitching about that but that was one of the main reasons I didn't like the Prequels very much. I thought they explained too much. The Emperor was actually less interesting to me after the prequels.
    I LIKED how Rey is a natural bad-ass and just picks up the force naturally. Instead of being like "that's impossible" I was like, "who is this and why is she so much more advanced?" Why are some people just naturally good at pinball, or piano? I don't know, but it gives me something to think about.
    I liked how the concept of the "force" was handled in general.
    Ray actually almost, sort of, turning Kylo Ren was a surprising, in a good way. I never expected Snoke to die like that and it made we wonder "what's going to happen next".
    The light-speed suicide assault was great. Sweet idea.
    The Benicio Del Toro character was great.
    Luke using the force to make it appear he was in the battle was great. I didn't see that coming.
    I like how there were very subtle tie ins to Empire Strikes Back. I think this one did a better job at that than the last one, where the links/nods to the original Star Wars were a lot more direct.
    Overall, there were more good parts in it for me than bad. There were plenty of things I could complain about too but they weren't the end of the world and nothing I'm going to spend post after post harping on about.
    Argue with that all you want but this is not a matter of objective truth.
    Frankly, nothing done in Star Wars after Return of the Jedi has had close to the same impact on me as the originals and I've got no delusions that this will ever change. I don't like to watch the "specialized" versions of the original movies now that I've got access to the theatrical cuts. The prequels were terrible in my opinion. I think these later movies are better but they're not anything close to the originals for me. Part of that is the originals were great movies, and part of that is my age and the state of the world at the time those movies came out.
    You're completely free to disagree with any or all of what I said and it doesn't make you any more right or me any more wrong.

Wow... just wow Stalker alert. Thank you for your input. Some interesting points. I never said you were wrong just was genuinely interested why you thought this movie was cool. Agree to disagree. Please check the thread title too. Its a thread about how crap this movie is. Apologies to everyone for posting too much about the thread topic. Peace

#1105 2 years ago

This guy presents some interesting points regarding critics of the critics of tlj. Worth a watch. Post Number 30? I think...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=1423s&v=K1pxw0Ea8-w

#1106 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Accurate reflection of reality.
    Just look at the comments in this thread, the movie is bombing out. No less than Forbes is pointing out the damage done to the franchise. It is under performing by 300 million and when all is said and done looking to be short 700-800 million under projections.
    Disney packaged poop in a box with a Star Wars decal on it and got a bunch of suckers in the first few weeks, now the rest have figured out its a turd and want nothing to do with it.
    Even the director Rian Johnson is starting to flee and has stated JJ Abrams can reverse changes he made.
    Whats Abrams going to do? Have the Enterprise warp slingshot back in time and space to stop Disney from mucking the whole thing up? LOL

Lol....word, Jedi brother.

#1107 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

It’s not that she is strong in the force...it’s because she’s blown into f@&$ing space without any spacesuit and isn’t dead. She doesn’t implode or freeze to death, but instead wakes up and superwoman’s herself to safety. It’s truly a facepalm moment.
    Oh: and Admiral Ackbar is unceremoniously killed and forgotten. WTF???

Fair enough. I agree that the Admiral Ackbar being killed and forgotten was a misstep.

#1108 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinSinner:

Fair enough. I agree that the Admiral Ackbar being killed and forgotten was a misstep.

Ehh, he was slipping anyway. I mean, he didn’t even know it was a trap.

#1110 2 years ago

Many people would have preferred Ackbar take command and do the "lightspeed suicide run" instead of Holdo (Laura Dern's character) but it causes some problems with the story (as presented)

If Poe mutinied against a character we've loved since 1983 (either Ackbar or Leia) audiences would have been upset and hated him for it.

Therefore, if the plot requires him to mutiny against a plan he considers bad, they have to bring in a new character (Holdo) that we are LESS vested in (than him) in order for the audience to accept his decision to mutiny.

Problem is, in ANY OTHER MOVIE PRESENTING THIS SCENARIO, the Holdo character would have ended up being either 1) a spy or 2) incompetent. But TLJ is all about "subverting expectations!" so neither happens, making everyone's decisions seem pointless and unsatisfying.

Poe (and to a lesser extent Finn and Rose) are responsible for all the extra needless deaths, yet Holdo is the one who sacrifices herself. And then Finn tries to sacrifice himself but Rose stops him. It just doesn't make sense from a character arc standpoint.

None of the new Star Wars movies make any sense from a character standpoint. Consider this: Who would be more broken up over the death of Han Solo - Rey or Chewey? And yet, at the end of Force Awakens, Leia walks RIGHT PAST CHEWEY and instead hugs a woman she's NEVER MET BEFORE!!!

#1111 2 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

None of the new Star Wars movies make any sense from a character standpoint. Consider this: Who would be more broken up over the death of Han Solo - Rey or Chewey? And yet, at the end of Force Awakens, Leia walks RIGHT PAST CHEWEY and instead hugs a woman she's NEVER MET BEFORE!!!

That still pisses me off. Didn’t even look at Chewie. Incomprehensible. Even JJ admitted he screwed up that scene.

Plus if a recall correctly, Chewie goes back inside the base, puts his head in his hands, and sulks alone in his own sorrow. Nobody consoles him. Not even C3P0. Awful.

#1112 2 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Leia walks RIGHT PAST CHEWEY and instead hugs a woman she's NEVER MET BEFORE!!!

To be fair, there has always been some tension between Leia and Chewie, especially after she found Wookiee pubes in Hans underwear.
    Edit: Hey it’s Star Wars canon. Was mentioned in one of the lesser known books that wasn’t in print long.

#1113 2 years ago

when abrams directed the last one, there were easter eggs all over the place. Every flag had a story, every fighters helmet had history and meaning. It seemed every scene had ties to past movies and the star wars universe. This movie, I just didn't see any of that. For instance in the last movie, the "battle chess" game , when turned on, started exactly where it left off in the original movie. Abrams attention to detail.

Thats what I love about the marvel movies. Sneaky references or artifacts of the marvel universe are throughout all the movies tying them all together.

#1114 2 years ago

I have to admit, this is the one Star Wars movie that I have no intention to watch again any time soon. I can watch these movies over and over, but sadly not this one.

I can forgive some of the plot holes, I don't see what all the fuss is about with the Leia "Mary Poppins" scene, or the complaints with the bombs dropping in space, or the pacing issues etc...none of that is an issue for me. However, I absolutely can't forgive Disney, Lucasfilm and Rian Johnson for ripping the heart and soul out of the character of Luke Skywalker.

What an utter shame the way they treated him, and thus the way they treated the fans. I waited most of my life to find out how great he would become with the force. I was hoping he would be more powerful than his father, Obiwan or Yoda. I was hoping he would unleash hell on Kylo Ren, the Knights of Ren and the First Order. And what Did they give us...a sad, lonely man, who milks Alien teat while sulking about the past, and who never even uses the force until the very end, and that effort kills him. Shame, shame, shame on them.

All of the other complaints pale in comparison to the real reason I, and a lot of people, feel cheated by this movie.

#1115 2 years ago

What I don't get is why Holdo waited until 1/2 the transports were destroyed to do the lightspeed run. It came to my mind the minute she was was going to solo it... then she waits 10 more minutes as they are pulverized. Man, the more I think about this movie, the lower my rating would be. lol

#1116 2 years ago

It stinks more than Chewbacca's hairy groin. It's bad.

#1117 2 years ago
    Quoted from mittens:

What I don't get is why Holdo waited until 1/2 the transports were destroyed to do the lightspeed run. It came to my mind the minute she was was going to solo it... then she waits 10 more minutes as they are pulverized. Man, the more I think about this movie, the lower my rating would be. lol

It came to mind after you commented that she could have made a last hyperspace jump with the transports and as soon as they came out launched the transports away.

Jump to a star system or planet with heavy traffic and the transports would have had several minutes to blend into the crowd before the First Order showed up.

#1118 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Well we all knew that was coming cause JJ was making the next one.
    Slingshot was funny, but he'll frikken bring back Phasma for sure, he'll 100000% bring back Luke because he's pissed as a lot of the viewers and hammil's the way they can win them back. Jesus what else...explain the Princess Poppins thing ASAP, not be so racist aboot Finn hopefully...can;t think of anything else of the top but man he's gonna do a lot.
    EDIT: Oh Rey's parents being nobody was a lie

I'd be very surprised if Luke's back in non-ghost form next time. They would have had to sell killing him off up and down the chain at Disney, hard to believe they'd reverse that decision now. I think JJ would do better not to touch some of the wonky elements of TLJ (flying Leia, suicide bombing) and just move forward with the story.

The Rey's parents thing was lame because they made a deal out of it in TFA, but now that it's been addressed I think they should just drop that as well -- it's not like Anakin's parents were famous Jedi, and his midichlorians were off the scale, for God's sake!

Speaking of midichlorians, here's a super-cool table I found on google, culled by nerds from the expanded universe.

1. Anakin Skywalk/Darth Vader (27,000) is the consensus #1 on this list. His count was considered to be off the charts.
    2. Emperor Palpatine/Darth Sidious (19,000) is usually ranked #2, the most powerful Sith aside from Darth Vader, and slightly above...
    3. Yoda (17,000) is the most powerful Jedi ever.
    4. Luke Skywalker (15,000) is the son of Anakin Skywalker.
    5. Leia Organa (15,000) is Luke Skywalker's twin, so she has an identical midichlorian count.
    6. Anakin Solo/Ben Solo/Kylo Ren (13,500) the son of Leia Organa and Han Solo
    7. Count Dooku/Darth Tyranus (13,500) the Sith who defeated...
    8. Obi-Wan Kenobi (13,400) the Jedi who defeated...
    9. Darth Maul (12,000)

Now doesn't that add so much to the mystique of the Star Wars universe? Thanks George Lucas, wish we had you back!

#1119 2 years ago

Serious question about the timeline in TLJ. It kind of has to be something like Dunkirk (admittedly a much better movie) right, where the early scenes on Luke's island are actually some time before the space chase, and then the island/space-chase timelines converge later in the film?

#1120 2 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

it's not like Anakin's parents were famous Jedi, and his midichlorians were off the scale, for God's sake!

Actually if you go back to the movie his mother states "there is no father" Lucas was alluding to Anakin being a Christ like figure with immaculate birth.

I kid you not.

#1121 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Actually if you go back to the movie his mother states "there is no father" Lucas was alluding to Anakin being a Christ like figure with immaculate birth.
    I kid you not.

FFS. Really? I haven't seen them since they were in the theaters and had forgotten that. I guess the obvious next step would be for Rey to have spontaneously generated with no parents at all.

#1122 2 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I'd be very surprised if Luke's back in non-ghost form next time. They would have had to sell killing him off up and down the chain at Disney, hard to believe they'd reverse that decision now. I think JJ would do better not to touch some of the wonky elements of TLJ (flying Leia, suicide bombing) and just move forward with the story.
    The Rey's parents thing was lame because they made a deal out of it in TFA, but now that it's been addressed I think they should just drop that as well -- it's not like Anakin's parents were famous Jedi, and his midichlorians were off the scale, for God's sake!
    Speaking of midichlorians, here's a super-cool table I found on google, culled by nerds from the expanded universe.

Anakin Skywalk/Darth Vader (27,000) is the consensus #1 on this list. His count was considered to be off the charts.
    Emperor Palpatine/Darth Sidious (19,000) is usually ranked #2, the most powerful Sith aside from Darth Vader, and slightly above...
    Yoda (17,000) is the most powerful Jedi ever.
    Luke Skywalker (15,000) is the son of Anakin Skywalker.
    Leia Organa (15,000) is Luke Skywalker's twin, so she has an identical midichlorian count.
    Anakin Solo/Ben Solo/Kylo Ren (13,500) the son of Leia Organa and Han Solo
    Count Dooku/Darth Tyranus (13,500) the Sith who defeated...
    Obi-Wan Kenobi (13,400) the Jedi who defeated...
    Darth Maul (12,000)

Now doesn't that add so much to the mystique of the Star Wars universe? Thanks George Lucas, wish we had you back!

What about Snoke? oh wait.

#1123 2 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

What about Snoke? oh wait.

Who?

I'd imagine this list was generated pre-TFA, so Rey and Snoke didn't make the cut. Though Rey would presumably be even higher than Anakin since she's ripping it up with no formal education! If only we hadn't lost midichlorian detection technology when the Republic fell ...

#1124 2 years ago

according to this chart:
    http://starwarsuniverse2.tripod.com/id9.html

Chewbacca has a count of 7200! WOOHOO

thanks for making me aware of the fact that such charts exist lol

taken from the above link:
    "Midichlorian is pronounced MI-DEE-CLOOR-EE-AN
    NOTE: Midichlorians to DO NOT solely determine the strength and power of a Jedi Knight or Sith Lord. Many other things make a Force-User great. Example: Luke Skywalker may have less midichlorians than Anakin, BUT Luke did not turn to the Dark Side, he practiced constantly, and it was just simply Luke's destiny to re-create the Jedi Order and become the most powerful Jedi ever. Anakin may have been the Chosen One, but you can just say: Luke succeeded where Anakin failed. For more info, email me at JOn13377@AOL.com."

so who is going to Contact JOn13377@AOL.com to find out what Snoke and Rey, Kylo etc

#1125 2 years ago

That can't be good.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/more-solo-reshoots-on-the-way/

I got a bad feeling about this.

#1126 2 years ago

I don't know anyone that thought it was going to end up good from the original idea. Almost impossible to please people recasting a super iconic character like Han.

#1127 2 years ago

I havent followed this much is that the dude playing Han? I just assumed it was like his childhood growing up that kind of thing? Is it supposed to be like just before a new hope?

#1128 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I don't know anyone that thought it was going to end up good from the original idea. Almost impossible to please people recasting a super iconic character like Han.

Doing re-shoots of re-shoots four months out from the premier date is the height of absurdity.

Disney at this point needs to back off and state "movie will be done when its done" and drop the posted date.

I'd rather see a good movie a few months late than a mediocre or crap movie that shows up on time.

#1129 2 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

I havent followed this much is that the dude playing Han? I just assumed it was like his childhood growing up that kind of thing? Is it supposed to be like just before a new hope?

Actual actors head photoshopped on Ford's body.

Far as I know not a single still has been released, aside from a tease or two by Ron Howard on Twitter.

#1130 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Doing re-shoots of re-shoots four months out from the premier date is the height of absurdity.
    Disney at this point needs to back off and state "movie will be done when its done" and drop the posted date.
    I'd rather see a good movie a few months late than a mediocre or crap movie that shows up on time.

you assume Disney cares about it being a good movie. having it delayed costs them more money and thats all that matters to them. Clearly they dont mind shitting on the franchise

#1131 2 years ago

you assume Disney cares about it being a good movie.

You don;t need the Black Knight here to tell you this is not true

Clearly they dont mind shitting on the franchise

You also have to realize they may be trying to skew the direction of everything to the younger kids and not old jaded SW folks.
    That's always what I think they are up @ Disney.

#1132 2 years ago

you assume Disney cares about it being a good movie. having it delayed costs them more money and thats all that matters to them. Clearly they dont mind shitting on the franchise

As one reviewer pointed out Disney planned on the Star Wars franchise crapping out golden eggs for years and years.. You don't cough up 4 billion dollars to acquire a property to just run it into the ground inside four movies.

At some point you need to protect your 4 billion dollar investment and do what you have to do.

Disney should care about the keeping the value of the Star Wars brand high, even if it costs you some short term money.

#1133 2 years ago

are they still planning on doing a live action tv show? that is going to probably be horrible lol

#1134 2 years ago

are they still planning on doing a live action tv show? that is going to probably be horrible lol

The bar's relatively low after the Xmas Special and the Ewok Telemovies.

#1135 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Actual actors head photoshopped on Ford's body. Far as I know not a single still has been released, aside from a tease or two by Ron Howard on Twitter.

Here's some exclusive footage of the new Han at work:

Wonder what kind of midichlorian count he's got going to pull off those rope tricks?

#1136 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

As one reviewer pointed out Disney planned on the Star Wars franchise crapping out golden eggs for years and years..

By the looks of it the eggs are still worth 1 billion per movie.

#1137 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

By the looks of it the eggs are still worth 1 billion per movie.

This is a false number people still don't grasp for some reason and covered by Forbes in some detail.

Disney coughed up 4 billion for Star Wars. They have to get that back. Movies in the US they only make 30-60% of the take depending on how long the movie runs in theaters.

Current domestic take is $574,483,043, for the sake of argument Disney's cut is $287,241,521 or 50%

Conventional wisdom is Disney has $250,000,000 to $300,000,000 million just making the movie.

So at best they have JUST broke even in making the movie based on domestic cut.

This doesn't count how much money is allocated per SW movie towards paying off the 4 billion that was given to Lucas. Not to mention the marketing which can easily run as much if not more than movie costs. Domestic is important because overseas the cut is much less, around 25%. Some overseas markets can save a movie that is struggling domestically. Transformers may be a weak franchise here but China loves giant robots crashing into each other. One reason Pacific Rim is getting a sequel, domestic was $101 million, overseas was $309 million.

Tent pole premium movies are expected to turn in HUGE PROFITS.

As Forbes has pointed out, The Last Jedi is going to struggle to break 1.4 billion worldwide let alone the 2 billion that was projected.

For what is a premium franchise, the movie is bombing.

#1138 2 years ago

Following up on the last post:

$287,241,521 Domestic take (50% box office)
    $161,500,000 Overseas take (25% box office)
    ----------------------------------
    $448,741,521 Disney's cut.

Disney has not even gotten back what they paid to make the movie and marketing yet.

FYI The Force Awakens budget is reported at 245 million, I doubt The Last Jedi was made cheaper.

#1139 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

This is a false number people ....

Current domestic take is $574,483,043, for the sake of argument Disney's cut is $287,241,521 or 50%

So right now we're at the same place Avengers 2 settled with; is it a bomb? A flop? Or are the more false numbers I'm missing?

Or the same numbers as CA: Civil War.

EDIT: Maybe they were bombs but I've never heard any of that.

#1140 2 years ago

You're forgetting all they money they get for Star Wars related licensed products & toys, games, etc. They make that $4B investment back, and then some, no problem.

#1141 2 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

You're forgetting all they money they get for Star Wars related licensed products & toys, games, etc. They make that $4B investment back, and then some, no problem.

They’ll get it back in theme park attendance alone when their Star Wars lands are complete at their various parks.

#1142 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

This doesn't count how much money is allocated per SW movie towards paying off the 4 billion that was given to Lucas.

This is irrelevant; Disney's just fine in the books department. They can settle a tab if needed.

#1143 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

So right now we're at the same place Avengers 2 settled with; is it a bomb? A flop? Or are the more false numbers I'm missing?
    Or the same numbers as CA: Civil War.
    EDIT: Maybe they were bombs but I've never heard any of that.

Depends on how much was spent on making the film and marketing is the ultimate question not to mention studio expectations.

Avengers II crushed it overseas so its a different picture than The Last Jedi.

Put it in Joe 6 pack terms- If my paycheck gross is $1000 a week but taxes, alimony and child support takes $900 I'm in pretty tough shape holding $100.

#1144 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Depends on how much was spent on making the film and marketing is the ultimate question not to mention studio expectations.

Put it in Joe 6 pack terms- If my paycheck gross is $1000 a week but taxes, alimony and child support takes $900 I'm in pretty tough shape holding $100.

Are you implying that the marvel movies I've mentioned spent a considerable amount less in advertising? Man that would be hard to believe...shit is everywhere.

The problem with Joe Six pack is he doens't have a toy line, lunch box line, my kids jammies line...and he sure as shit doesn't sell DVDs.

#1145 2 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I'd be very surprised if Luke's back in non-ghost form next time.

Anakin had a miracle Jesus birth, so I wouldn't be surprised if Luke rises from the dead like Jesus in Episode 9. Hey! Luke just reappeared! And he brought Yoda with him! The writing has gotten so stupid that anything is possible at this point, which makes me want to puke.

#1146 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

They’ll get it back in theme park attendance alone when their Star Wars lands are complete at their various parks.

Thank you for reminding me I forgot about that- Disney is also coughing up upwards of a billion dollars if not more for Galaxies Edge Star Wars attraction.

#1147 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Thank you for reminding me I forgot about that- Disney is also coughing up upwards of a billion dollars if not more for Galaxies Edge Star Wars attraction.

I think you have a very narrow view on this. Here, let me find you some more Disney Monies

From TFA article
    https://theconversation.com/how-disney-will-make-us-5-billion-from-star-wars-7-merchandise-47506

"These figures, however, do not even factor in the total US$5 billion in merchandise sales expected in 2016. And it’s the success on this front that ensure Star Wars will endure in our thoughts and imaginations."

Hey let's say TFA bombed too (it didn't) and they only made 3 Billion on toys. There's you Star Wars Attraction.

#1148 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Are you implying that the marvel movies I've mentioned spent a considerable amount less in advertising?

No I'm stating quoting the gross without taking the costs into account is like looking at your paycheck and ignoring deductions.

One article I'm reading in the New York Times states on the Force Awakens alone the contractual fees and residuals to film participants is a cool 250 million dollars. That is on par with the production costs of the movie itself!

#1149 2 years ago

I think people dont really understand how business works. You are expect to continually increase revenue and profit. The latest Movie has hurt the brand we wont know how much till the next movie drops. It is Star Wars and people are willing to waste money on the franchise. So most likely people will go see the next one not matter what. I myself will hold off, the latest one ruined my interest. The question is am I an insignificant minority or am I one of many.

#1150 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I think you have a very narrow view on this. Here, let me find you some more Disney Monies

I'm a big picture guy, lets talk.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2015/12/28/disney-has-a-money-problem-that-even-star-wars-cant-fix/

ESPN is bleeding out billions in Disney cash, profitable movies and parks help keep the mouse house afloat.

FYI- In the article you posted it states the sales Disney had, not the profit or net.

I'm sure the profit margin on toys is greater than the movie though!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 174.99
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 269.00
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    APB Enterprises
    $ 9.99
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Ramp-O-Matic
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 199.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Lit Frames
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Game Room Info Shop
    € 8.10
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 28.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 129.25
    $ 1,200.00
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    There are 4686 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 94.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside