Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,501 posts
  • 317 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 42 hours ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi was...”

• garbage, the worst of the main films 250 votes
      35%
    • decent, better than the prequels 252 votes
      35%
    • really good, on par with the originals 80 votes
      11%
    • great! one of the best 80 votes
      11%
    • who cares, star wars sucks 57 votes
      8%

(719 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

poop (resized).jpeg
    6ftj8cdm1pbd1 (resized).png
    Disney+ (resized).PNG
    IMG_20240630_195315 (resized).jpg
    acolyte-sith(1).gif
    acolyte-sith.gif
    IMG_8792 (resized).jpeg
    448683523_18281373943204227_7684623079679507107_n (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1719148020311 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8769 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8761 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8758 (resized).jpeg
    530666_OuterBox_Back_1500x (resized).jpg
    17186153461412875605987483685490_412422131225242 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8744 (resized).jpeg
    luke.gif

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,501 posts in this topic. You are on page 127 of 131.
    #6301 31 days ago
    Quoted from Ribs:

Superficially sure, but the Jedi Order has always been a religious allegory and as such is way more complicated than simply being the "good guys".

But in universe they have always been presented as good and having good intentions. There aren't evil Jedi, that would be the Sith. The Acolyte is saying "well actually these good guys are really problematic." That's one of the reasons a lot of fans are not liking it so far. That plus the lazy and nonsensical plot.

#6302 31 days ago

honestly you guys are over-analyzing this shit!

One thing is clear the writers of this show know nothing about science or physics. The first episode starts with the hero putting out a fire in outer space!

Maybe the bar is so low on star wars these days that I expect nothing but crap and then am sometimes pleasantly surprised by something watchable (andor, mando, rogue one, solo).

This show has plenty of foolishness and a few cringe moments, but overall I'm able to enjoy what is good and does work (the fight scenes, most of the characters, the exploration of the jedi's mistakes, the witches). IMHO, three episodes in, it's better than Ahsoka, Obi Wan, Boba Fett, the prequel trilogy and the skywalker saga (or whatever the following trilogy was called). I'm taking it on it's own terms and as storytelling, at least, it's got something to say and doesn't feel like weak sauce fan service like so much else does.

#6303 31 days ago
    Quoted from pch3727:

But in universe they have always been presented as good and having good intentions. There aren't evil Jedi, that would be the Sith. The Acolyte is saying "well actually these good guys are really problematic." That's one of the reasons a lot of fans are not liking it so far. That plus the lazy and nonsensical plot.

Even Lucas has said star wars is good vs evil.

#6304 31 days ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Even Lucas has said star wars is good vs evil.

And then created Anikon Skywalker, an evil Jedi

#6305 31 days ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

And then created Anikon Skywalker, an evil Jedi

And at the end of return if the Jedi, he is in his Jedi robe, because he turned back to good.

Grow up…..George Lucas, the creator of Star Wars flat out said it is a story of good vs evil.

George Lucas, only the guy who came up with all the characters. The guy who came up with the story. The guy who came up with what the force is. What a Jedi is. What a Sith Lord is. Geez.

#6306 31 days ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

And at the end of return if the Jedi, he is in his Jedi robe, because he turned back to good.
    Grow up…..George Lucas, the creator of Star Wars flat out said it is a story of good vs evil.
    George Lucas, only the guy who came up with all the characters. The guy who came up with the story. The guy who came up with what the force is. What a Jedi is. What a Sith Lord is. Geez.

Dude, are you in Lucas' basement right now? Just blink twice if you need help.

Good & Evil are not binary things...if they were Annikin could be on both sides. No worries aboot slaying thousands of people and a room full of Kids Annikin...we forgive you Ah finally good has been restored. Oh wait, those kids were taken from the parents before they "got attached" so it's OK.

Quoted from acedanger:

Looking forward to tires on Netflix

Well....how did it go?

#6307 31 days ago
    Quoted from JakeFAttie:

honestly you guys are over-analyzing this shit!

I'm with this guy. It's a space opera, it should be all about hokey fun.

#6308 31 days ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I'm with this guy. It's a space opera, it should be all about hokey fun.

As you knowm we tried that in this thread; didn't catch on.

#6309 31 days ago

My buddy had to tell me that Jediman is from Squid Game. I kept thinking he looked familiar

#6310 31 days ago

Just keep consuming product. It’s fun and sugary.

#6311 31 days ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

Just keep consuming product.

Nope. Star Wars is dead far as I'm concerned.

#6312 30 days ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Nope. Star Wars is dead far as I'm concerned

I’ve got a good friend who said to me “well it’s Star Wars, I’ll watch it.” Whether it’s good or bad, he’s watching it because he loves Star Wars. That’s the type of consumer Disney wants. I’ll pass on the acolyte. Not because it’s too woke but because the last three shows amounted to nothing. I don’t remember what Kenobi, the Mando, or Asoka were about.

#6313 30 days ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

I’ve got a good friend who said to me “well it’s Star Wars, I’ll watch it.” Whether it’s good or bad, he’s watching it because he loves Star Wars. That’s the type of consumer Disney wants. I’ll pass on the acolyte. Not because it’s too woke but because the last three shows amounted to nothing. I don’t remember what Kenobi, the Mando, or Asoka were about.

That shit right there is the true toxic fandom. The "it's good because it's Star Wars" attitude. You're not a real fan if you dislike anything.

#6314 30 days ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

I’ve got a good friend who said to me “well it’s Star Wars, I’ll watch it.” Whether it’s good or bad, he’s watching it because he loves Star Wars.

Just rewarding bad behavior or service.

Like patronizing a restuarant which makes bad food visit after visit. Take your money and go somewhere else.

#6315 30 days ago

The posts in this thread are sometimes more entertaining and thought provoking that any of the TV series.
    (munching on popcorn)

#6316 30 days ago

#6317 30 days ago

Pro reviews have lowered a little bit and just take a look what the audience thinks of it.

Maybe Disney should stop smearing the fans and actually make something we want to see.

IMG_8740 (resized).jpegIMG_8740 (resized).jpeg
    #6318 29 days ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Maybe Disney should stop smearing the fans and actually make something we want to see.
    [quoted image]

They wont.

#6319 29 days ago

They don't know how.

#6320 29 days ago
    Quoted from Pablito350:

They don't know how.

“Our fans are the absolute worst, we don’t even want you………….hey, why is no one watching?” - Disney.

#6321 29 days ago
    Quoted from Pablito350:

They don't know how.

Driven by ideology not money.

9cd6c07bac6b863d (resized).png9cd6c07bac6b863d (resized).png
    #6322 29 days ago

Does Disney realize the South Park episode “panderverse” was mockery……….it wasn’t business advice to be taken literally.

#6323 29 days ago

I know there’s some star wars fans in here so I want to discuss Revenge of the Sith. So Palpatine tells Annakin he’s the sith lord knowing he’s going to tell the jedi and cause some trouble. Then he’s waiting in his chamber for the jedi to show up. He’s got his lightsaber ready and knows they’re coming because he set it up. He does a force rotini in the air and destroys 3 jedi in an instant. Then he fights windu for quite a while as he waits for annakin. He’s calling to annakin through the force, and toying with windu until he gets there. Then when annakin arrives he feigns defeat saying “Im too weak!” Once Annakin turn ms against Windu palpy unleashes a MASSIVE force lightning and send Windu on a mile long journey to his death.
    The point is I find the idea that mace windu defeated the emperor to be completely ridiculous when watching what happened on screen, but there’s people who think this is the case.
    VERDICT: Palpatine toyed with windu, aka Windu was no less a clown as the other three master jedi that got wiped out in a flash.

#6324 29 days ago

revenge of the sith? that's part of the prequel trilogy, right?

#6325 29 days ago
    Quoted from THEFOZ:

I know there’s some star wars fans in here so I want to discuss Revenge of the Sith. So Palpatine tells Annakin he’s the sith lord knowing he’s going to tell the jedi and cause some trouble. Then he’s waiting in his chamber for the jedi to show up. He’s got his lightsaber ready and knows they’re coming because he set it up. He does a force rotini in the air and destroys 3 jedi in an instant. Then he fights windu for quite a while as he waits for annakin. He’s calling to annakin through the force, and toying with windu until he gets there. Then when annakin arrives he feigns defeat saying “Im too weak!” Once Annakin turn ms against Windu palpy unleashes a MASSIVE force lightning and send Windu on a mile long journey to his death.
    The point is I find the idea that mace windu defeated the emperor to be completely ridiculous when watching what happened on screen, but there’s people who think this is the case.
    VERDICT: Palpatine toyed with windu, aka Windu was no less a clown as the other three master jedi that got wiped out in a flash.

Mace Windu could have just stabbed Palps with his light saber instead of talking everyone to death.

Whether Palps dies there or by Vaders hands later or by some sort of space ship “car accident “ it’s all irrelevant.
    “Somehow Palpatine Returned”

#6326 29 days ago
    Quoted from JakeFAttie:

revenge of the sith? that's part of the prequel trilogy, right?

It took place in a magical time when SW was still great and Disney hadn't WOKE'D it all up yet!

Just kidding it was fucking horrible then too.

#6327 29 days ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

Mace Windu could have just stabbed Palps with his light saber instead of talking everyone to death.
    Whether Palps dies there or by Vaders hands later or by some sort of space ship “car accident “ it’s all irrelevant.
    “Somehow Palpatine Returned”

Palpatine returning in rise of Skywalker was just stupid.

So there’s the first order…..then Palpatine has his own fleet too?

#6328 29 days ago

To take a break from complaining about Disney Star Wars....

I ordered Blu-rays from Etsy of the 4k77, 4k80 and 4k83 versions of the original 3 films(Google if you don't know what they are) and am thoroughly impressed with the work they did on these. They look amazing, just as crisp as the official Blu-rays, without the God awful color grading and 30 years of "improvements". I highly recommend checking them out.

#6329 29 days ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

I ordered Blu-rays from Etsy of the 4k77, 4k80 and 4k83 versions of the original 3 films(Google if you don't know what they are) and am thoroughly impressed with the work they did on these. They look amazing, just as crisp as the official Blu-rays, without the God awful color grading and 30 years of "improvements". I highly recommend checking them out.

Nice!

#6330 29 days ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

Are they the original versions????

#6331 29 days ago

I've got the despecialized edition of the original film as a file. very nice to have, but all three on bluray sounds awesome.

#6332 29 days ago
    Quoted from JakeFAttie:

I've got the despecialized edition of the original film as a file. very nice to have, but all three on bluray sounds awesome.

I've got the despecialized versions too. These actually look a little better.

#6333 29 days ago

Damn, I was kinda ambivalent on this show but episode 3 was just really bad. Nevermind any agenda nonsense, it's easy to ignore, but this is just bad storytelling. Forced situations, solid rock burning, nonsensical plot points, and that awful howling chant? Just... terrible.

Makes me wonder how Andor ended up so good.

#6334 29 days ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Damn, I was kinda ambivalent on this show but episode 3 was just really bad. Nevermind any agenda nonsense, it's easy to ignore, but this is just bad storytelling. Forced situations, solid rock burning, nonsensical plot points, and that awful howling chant? Just... terrible.
    Makes me wonder how Andor ended up so good.

Don’t forget that the force has no rules. It’s whatever they need it to do.

#6335 29 days ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Don’t forget that the force has no rules. It’s whatever they need it to do.

Never had any.

#6336 28 days ago

Well, I'm out.

After TLJ came out I sold most of my Star Wars shit and aside from having glimmers of hope during season's 1 and 2 of Mando, and also while playing Jedi Fallen Order and Jedi Survivor, I've essentially lost all faith in Star Wars. I was legitimately angry about it all at first seeing how Star Wars was a very important part of my life since I was about 4. Once the anger subsided, apathy took its place to the point where I struggled to even enjoy the good, pre-Disney stuff. Still, I hung onto some of my Star Wars stuff in hopes that I'd someday get back into the series.

I've had zero desire to watch The Acolyte, or really any new Star Wars since Book of Boba Fett killed what remained of the minuscule amount of enthusiasm I still had for this franchise. However, after hearing how absolute shit the Acolyte is, I'm now a full believer that Disney is no longer making Star Wars for anyone except Larry Fink and Blackrock in order to get some more of those sweet, sweet ESG bucks. There is no way Disney is this tone deaf with nearly 200-million dollars on the line, unless of course they know they'll get their money back elsewhere if not through the fans.

But anyhow, I decided that the rest of my Star Wars shit minus my DVDs for the first 6 movies are going. I can't see myself ever caring about Star Wars ever again, nor deriving any entertainment from it. I've accepted that Star Wars is no longer being made for me, and I hope the individuals Disney is very grossly pandering too are able to keep this series going (although I don't think that really matters either ... see Blackrock, State Street, and Vanguard). I'm happy I was able to care about and love Star Wars for nearly the first 30-years of my life, but I just can't do it anymore. I'm at a point beyond just being done with Star Wars, where simply seeing anything about it, old or new, just mentally drains me. I have to say, I never thought Disney, or anyone at that, could make me dislike something so much that I once really loved. What a shame.

#6337 28 days ago
    Quoted from Wiggles:

Well, I'm out.
    After TLJ came out I sold most of my Star Wars shit and aside from having glimmers of hope during season's 1 and 2 of Mando, and also while playing Jedi Fallen Order and Jedi Survivor, I've essentially lost all faith in Star Wars. I was legitimately angry about it all at first seeing how Star Wars was a very important part of my life since I was about 4. Once the anger subsided, apathy took its place to the point where I struggled to even enjoy the good, pre-Disney stuff. Still, I hung onto some of my Star Wars stuff in hopes that I'd someday get back into the series.
    I've had zero desire to watch The Acolyte, or really any new Star Wars since Book of Boba Fett killed what remained of the minuscule amount of enthusiasm I still had for this franchise. However, after hearing how absolute shit the Acolyte is, I'm now a full believer that Disney is no longer making Star Wars for anyone except Larry Fink and Blackrock in order to get some more of those sweet, sweet ESG bucks. There is no way Disney is this tone deaf with nearly 200-million dollars on the line, unless of course they know they'll get their money back elsewhere if not through the fans.
    But anyhow, I decided that the rest of my Star Wars shit minus my DVDs for the first 6 movies are going. I can't see myself ever caring about Star Wars ever again, nor deriving any entertainment from it. I've accepted that Star Wars is no longer being made for me, and I hope the individuals Disney is very grossly pandering too are able to keep this series going (although I don't think that really matters either ... see Blackrock, State Street, and Vanguard). I'm happy I was able to care about and love Star Wars for nearly the first 30-years of my life, but I just can't do it anymore. I'm at a point beyond just being done with Star Wars, where simply seeing anything about it, old or new, just mentally drains me. I have to say, I never thought Disney, or anyone at that, could make me dislike something so much that I once really loved. What a shame.

What did I sacrifice for Star Wars? I've given up all chance at inner peace. I've made my mind a sunless place.

#6338 28 days ago
    Quoted from Wiggles:

Well, I'm out.
    After TLJ came out I sold most of my Star Wars shit ...

It took you that long?

Quoted from Wiggles:

...decided that the rest of my Star Wars shit minus my DVDs for the first 6 movies are going...

Wait, you count the prequels as the good old days before Disney ruined Star Wars? Wow.

#6339 28 days ago

the writing was on the wall when those ewoks first showed up...

#6340 28 days ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

It took you that long?

Wait, you count the prequels as the good old days before Disney ruined Star Wars? Wow.

I was in middle school when Episode 1 came out and high school for 2 and 3. They are sentimental to me, or at least they were.

#6341 28 days ago
    Quoted from Wiggles:

I decided that the rest of my Star Wars shit minus my DVDs for the first 6 movies are going

You’re keeping the Star Whores DVD though, right? Right?!

#6342 28 days ago
    Quoted from Wiggles:

There is no way Disney is this tone deaf with nearly 200-million dollars on the line, unless of course they know they'll get their money back elsewhere if not through the fans.

I would have thought that too, but after what Disney did with the sequel trilogy I lost pretty much all hope. They were handed success on a silver platter, all they had to do was pump out something familiar and decent that the fans wanted and it would have printed money...way more money then it ended up making. It wasn't hard. What did everyone want...show Luke training Jedi, show a powerful Luke in action, reunite the original trilogy amigos onscreen, deliver on the new baddie who idolized Vader and wanted to "finish what he started". Instead they went into it with 3 different directors planned and ZERO plan for story cohesion across the 3 films. They made Luke a grumpy hermit who never leaves the island and even doubled down and made him a wannabe nephew murderer...cause that's what the fans were crying for. Never got the 3 OGs back together and turned the Vader idolizing baddie into a shirtless guy who likes to talk to Rey through Force telepathy. They freaking let Rian Johnson completely ignore everything that Abrams established in Episode VII and then let him play Star Wars Mad-Libs with a multi billion dollar franchise.

We waited 2 years on a cliffhanger for...

(In an emotional moment of desperation, Rey hands Luke Skywalker his father's lightsaber. In reaction, Luke then "insert verb" _____ throws______ it "insert adjective" _____comically______ over his shoulder.)

(Luke heads over to the native island creature and "insert verb" _____squeezes______ it's "insert noun"______teet______ then proceeds to "insert verb" _____drink______ the "insert noun" _____green milk______.)

And don't even start with flying the Leia and the proper death scene the character could have had, the slow boring ship case scene that made no sense, Snoke turning out to be nothing, Knights of Ren having 30 seconds of action after 8 hours of Star Wars movies, a hidden entire Super Star Destroyer fleet with full compliment of officers/soldiers that no one had any inkling existed or even knew how to get to supposedly, a dagger that apparently can find the Sith Holocron location from any spot on shore...the list goes on and on. They had to switch gears and have Abrams try to make it make sense of it and close it out in 2.5 hours in Episode IX, which obviously didn't work. "Somehow Palpatine returned". The incompetence across the board was mind blowing. It's really astonishing that they could screw up that badly considering the circumstances.

#6343 28 days ago

sad but true. i actually liked the first one, but those movies got painful to watch.

#6344 28 days ago

[Comment Removed]

Quoted from LesManley:

I would have thought that too, but after what Disney did with the sequel trilogy I lost pretty much all hope.

Ha Hope....I get it!

Anyway, Just should have Hired JJ to do them all. TFA is awesome; refake the OGs and everyone will be happy. I guess at the top you can blame Disney, but really Rian Johnson pissed all over everything with Last Jedi & ruined it. Now, I don't 8chan K Kennedy so I don't knowm if she was pulling Johnson's Johnson telling him what to do; but I'm blaming him. Could be her as well though.

#6345 28 days ago
    Quoted from Wiggles:

Well, I'm out.

Best you can hope for is when Disney goes tits up the IP is sold off in the fire sale and someone does something positive with it.

Disney is in a death spiral, consumers need to stop throwing their hard earned dollars at them to speed the process up.

Fans don't like when you point out that the genealogy of ideas matter. If you draw from a wicked source, it will show in your work. Star Wars is currently bad because it reflects the mindset of those producing it.

You can't expect good fruit to come from a rotten tree.

#6346 28 days ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

They freaking let Rian Johnson completely ignore everything that Abrams established

I decided not to give Rian Johnson my money after the Last Jedi. He’s a hack. He’s got a theatre ban for me. Maybe I’ll watch his movies if they are on free play but dude needs to bomb at the box office.

#6347 28 days ago

I remain lost, as to who the writers are creating these shows for.

Disney Star Wars reminds me of being a kid in the 70's, and watching the neighbors playing with their Kenner action figures "wrong".

This Acolyte show seems like the kids sisters grabbed the toys and were playing with them "extra wrong"

As I write this, it makes me sad to even add the word Disney at all, seems a completely inaccurate moniker. Poor guy would be aghast if he saw his company turn into this wretched depravity.

635846504696210034-toys-25-1--409859340 (resized).jpg635846504696210034-toys-25-1--409859340 (resized).jpg
    #6348 28 days ago
    Quoted from Flowst:

I remain lost, as to who the writers are creating these shows for.
    Disney Star Wars reminds me of being a kid in the 70's, and watching the neighbors playing with their Kenner action figures "wrong".
    This Acolyte show seems like the kids sisters grabbed the toys and were playing with them "extra wrong"
    As I write this, it makes me sad to even add the word Disney at all, seems a completely inaccurate moniker. Poor guy would be aghast if he saw his company turn into this wretched depravity.
    [quoted image]

Walt wouldn’t recognize the company today.

Let’s take another look at Star Wars. Kathleen Kennedy said she instantly green lighted the Acolyte based on the pitch of “representation and mirroring” the life of the creator. No no no. Star Trek mirrors life. Star Wars is pure space fantasy, that’s why it takes place a long time ago in a galaxy far far away…..it’s not meant to represent the latest political movements of the day…….it’s also made for children and in turn, the whole family. Thats why it’s broken down to the most simplistic form: good vs evil.

Let’s look at the writers of the show. They purposely hired writers who have never watched star wars……what?!?!?! That’s like hiring me to write the Harry Potter movies……what the fuck do I know about Harry Potter? There’s Harry Potter and he has friends….not going to get anything but a shit story if I wrote it.

They’re trying to go in the direction of WWF, no good guys, no bad guys….everyone is gray. I remember Vader clearly saying to Luke “you don’t know the power of the dark side!” Seems pretty clear cut to me.

I will explain in one word why Disney is failing: Representation. The reason why Disney was so widely successful was because of representation. Let me explain. You go to the parks, watch the line of little girls waiting to meet Cinderella. They come from all different backgrounds, races, religions, nationalities, etc. This new idea that “I can’t like something unless it represents me” is fucking stupid. Want proof? Look at the box office numbers. Look at the low crowd levels at the parks. Look at the stock price.

If I ever get to meet the following people: Billy Dee Williams, Curtis Martin, Darelle Revis, Robert Parish, Thomas Sowell…….will I be all “OMG, I’m so glad to have met you. I’m a huge fan.” Or will I say “I’m not allowed to like you because you don’t represent me.”

#6349 28 days ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

I decided not to give Rian Johnson my money after the Last Jedi. He’s a hack. He’s got a theatre ban for me. Maybe I’ll watch his movies if they are on free play but dude needs to bomb at the box office.

In fairness to him, he produced exactly what he was told to produce. And he did so with the promise of making three more Star Wars movies.

Joke was on him in the end.

#6350 28 days ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

In fairness to him, he produced exactly what he was told to produce. And he did so with the promise of making three more Star Wars movies.
    Joke was on him in the end.

Here’s what I don’t understand. They make the Force Awakens……at any point, did they have an idea where the story was headed? Clear answer is no.

There are 6,501 posts in this topic. You are on page 127 of 131.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.