Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,239 posts
  • 311 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 33 hours ago by PanzerFreak
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi was...”

• garbage, the worst of the main films 243 votes
      34%
    • decent, better than the prequels 251 votes
      35%
    • really good, on par with the originals 80 votes
      11%
    • great! one of the best 80 votes
      11%
    • who cares, star wars sucks 55 votes
      8%

(709 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

scioli (resized).jpg
    ss1-trapped (resized).jpg
    fantastic_four_1961_48_3 (resized).jpg
    d0c0aa785c9ed124 (resized).jpeg
    b881ebbaf721aff4 (resized).jpeg
    1 (56) (resized).JPG
    the-acolyte-databank-feature-article-feature_536e2878 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1dd86362581cee58daeaeaef82eb6037 (resized).jpg
    the-acolyte-teaser-poster_506fd466 (resized).jpeg
    1 (resized).jpg
    2 (resized).jpg
    3 (resized).jpg
    6aw3vw8uep501 (resized).jpg
    GGtWnNMWMAAWx0I (resized).png
    nickcole1 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,239 posts in this topic. You are on page 110 of 125.
    #5451 1 year ago

Kenobi looks really good, it has a some solid talent in the acting dept too, a real departure from Boba Fett. I read even this show had some controversy, KK had some talk with the writer and he departed, although it was supposedly an amicable separation. The issue was that Kennedy thought his story was too dark (that's exactly what some of us have been pining for). Amini wrote the "Snow white and the Huntsmen" and "Drive" movie with Ryan Gosling, both great films in my opinion. He also wrote the "Alienist" which was again an awesome show on TNT. Oh well, the good news is that some of that grittiness still survived.

#5452 1 year ago

New "Obi" trailer is out with VADER in it.

#5453 1 year ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Kenobi looks really good, it has a some solid talent in the acting dept too, a real departure from Boba Fett. I read even this show had some controversy, KK had some talk with the writer and he departed, although it was supposedly an amicable separation. The issue was that Kennedy thought his story was too dark (that's exactly what some of us have been pining for). Amini wrote the "Snow white and the Huntsmen" and "Drive" movie with Ryan Gosling, both great films in my opinion. He also wrote the "Alienist" which was again an awesome show on TNT. Oh well, the good news is that some of that grittiness still survived.

Rumor is Obi-Wan gets the Luke Skywalker The Last Jedi treatment. One hopes the rumors are wrong but they do match what is hinted at in the trailers.

#5454 1 year ago
    Quoted from oktobernv:

New "Obi" trailer is out with VADER in it.

That shot of vader in front of the tracking map looks exactly like it was from the Rogue One trailers, wonder if theyre going to borrow unused footage from the reshoots.

#5455 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

That shot of vader in front of the tracking map looks exactly like it was from the Rogue One trailers, wonder if theyre going to borrow unused footage from the reshoots.

Hmm, good catch, maybe...Like R1 this production will be mainly made by a British crew, unlike Mando and Boba.

1 week later
    #5457 1 year ago

I was actually liking obi-wan until I realized the show is going to revolve around a stupid fucking kid doing stupid fucking things to advance the stupid fucking plot.

#5458 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

I was actually liking obi-wan until I realized the show is going to revolve around a stupid fucking kid doing stupid fucking things to advance the stupid fucking plot.

The old George Lucas playbook!

#5459 1 year ago

It always amazes me that people are shocked by Star Wars sucking

Quoted from fosaisu:

The old George Lucas playbook!

"Daddy gets paid."
    I have to watch this before the Fake George Lucas reacts

#5460 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

"Daddy gets paid."
    I have to watch this before the Fake George Lucas reacts</blockquote

"Daddy gets paid."

I'm not shocked. Star wars has sucked since 99. I'm just amazed how easily they keep fucking it up.

#5461 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I haven’t seen the Obi Wan show but if it’s really just rehashing the baby Vader/baby Boba storylines from the prequels, it would be fantastic if they did a Fake George review gushing over it.

#5462 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

I'm not shocked. Star wars has sucked since 99. I'm just amazed how easily they keep fucking it up.

Yeah as soon as I saw him in the preview watching Annikin through binocs I gave up

#5463 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

Interesting take there bud

SPOILERS!

I did not see that plot line coming. I wasn't sure what the story would be to get him off-world. But I enjoyed the idea & it actually makes sense. Why is she so fond of Obiwan in Ep IV? This is story is the reason.

This is a heavily produced Kennedy Project. So I'm not surprised they showcased her & repeatedly emphasized how strong & smart she was as a child. Did it get to be a bit too much by the end of Episode 2? Yes it sure did. But here's the good news. Looks like they are past that now. He has to get back to Tatooine. Can't have a second Star Wars show about a hero with a child in tow.

Show should shift & focus on Vader & his Inquistors hunt of Obiwan now. He just realized Anakin is still alive after 10 years. That's a huge mindfuck for him. Because the ultimate narrative of the show is showing Obiwan's progression from a broken man in hiding for 10 years, with no confidence in himself, running from his failures, desperately calling on Qui-Gon for guidance.....to facing his failures, confronting his past (Vader), resolving his fears, and becoming the zen Jedi master of Episode IV.

I think they nailed Obiwan's state of mind in Episode 1. I want to see him reconnect with the force & Qui-Gon. I want to see the inner politics of the Vader's Inquisitors & how that plays out. I want to see the inner sanctum of Vader's Castle in detail, and how he reacts when he's told that he's been found. I want to see some real emotional drama & lightsaber action. The kiddie adventure is over, and I'm glad it only lasted one episode.

Also liked seeing Temuera Morrison as the down-and-out Clone Trooper begging for credits too. Also wondering how they are going to handle Vader's voice... James Earl Jones is pretty old now, guessing they shift to deepfake Vader voice like they did for Luke on Book of Boba.

Everyone loves to rush to judgement these days. Gotta let the story play out IMO.

#5464 1 year ago

If anyone is looking for kiddie shit, well here you go. If you have to go out of your way to state in a PR announcement that it’s not a kids show, then it is most definitely a kids show.

This is the show from the recent Spider-Man trilogy director. Imagine Spider-Man’s awkward interactions with his teenage chums, lame jokes & Marvel drama, but now featured in the Star Wars universe.

Yeah no thanks. Hard pass.

F2BA1FD4-FFEC-47A0-AEEE-22604B336B9E (resized).pngF2BA1FD4-FFEC-47A0-AEEE-22604B336B9E (resized).png
    #5465 1 year ago

I think this has been the most pleasant surprise of the entire Celebration announcements... lots of hype now for this. Looks outstanding. Really going to flesh out the backstory of the birth of the Rebellion. Some good actors too. Basically a Rogue One prequel that leads directly into the opening of that movie. This is the stuff the adults like.... more gritty, less kiddie, more scum & villainy.

Two shocking things though....

1) Premiers August 31st in just 3 months!
    2) 12 episodes per season, and already green lit for Season 2

#5466 1 year ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Interesting take there bud
    SPOILERS!
    I did not see that plot line coming. I wasn't sure what the story would be to get him off-world. But I enjoyed the idea & it actually makes sense. Why is she so fond of Obiwan in Ep IV? This is story is the reason.
    This is a heavily produced Kennedy Project. So I'm not surprised they showcased her & repeatedly emphasized how strong & smart she was as a child. Did it get to be a bit too much by the end of Episode 2? Yes it sure did. But here's the good news. Looks like they are past that now. He has to get back to Tatooine. Can't have a second Star Wars show about a hero with a child in tow.
    Show should shift & focus on Vader & his Inquistors hunt of Obiwan now. He just realized Anakin is still alive after 10 years. That's a huge mindfuck for him. Because the ultimate narrative of the show is showing Obiwan's progression from a broken man in hiding for 10 years, with no confidence in himself, running from his failures, desperately calling on Qui-Gon for guidance.....to facing his failures, confronting his past (Vader), resolving his fears, and becoming the zen Jedi master of Episode IV.
    I think they nailed Obiwan's state of mind in Episode 1. I want to see him reconnect with the force & Qui-Gon. I want to see the inner politics of the Vader's Inquisitors & how that plays out. I want to see Vader's Castle and how he reacts when he's told that he's been found. I want to see some real emotional drama & lightsaber action. The kiddie adventure is over, and I'm glad it only lasted one episode.
    Also liked seeing Temuera Morrison as the down-and-out Clone Trooper begging for credits too.
    Everyone loves to rush to judgement these days. Gotta let the story play out IMO.

Bud,

Did you and I watch two different Star Wars? She wasn't the least bit fond of Obi-Wan in the movie. He was just some old guy her dad knew before she was born. Leia couldn't care less when he was killed. After this, its too bad in the original movie she didn't slap a big kiss on his cheek and call him uncle Obi. Its absolutely lazy writing and fan pandering on a pathetic level.

Why does this show exist in the first place? The whole point in Star Wars was that him and Vader hadn't seen each other in decades. Tarkin thought he was long since dead. I guess its all ok as long as they have a cool lightsaber fight. The Stars Wars universe could've been vast and expansive. Instead, its small, with the same characters being rehashed to death.

#5467 1 year ago

I'll give Andor a chance for the sets but R1 was a steaming pile to be sure...and he was pretty much the worst character in it, sans blind Jedi Groupie & whatever Forrest Whitiker was doing; uff.

#5468 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I'll give Andor a chance for the sets but R1 was a steaming pile to be sure...and he was pretty much the worst character in it, sans blind Jedi Groupie & whatever Forrest Whitiker was doing; uff.

Whar a concidence, it reminds me of your movie critiques

#5469 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Quoted from kvan99:

Whar a concidence, it reminds me of your movie critiques

So you're saying that TheLaw's movie reviews remind you of a blind, disoriented pile of shit?

4 months later
    #5470 1 year ago

Anyone else reach the Marvel fatigue stage? I just don't care anymore about pretty much anything Marvel related. The new Deadpool 3 movie with Wolverine is about it.

#5471 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Anyone else reach the Marvel fatigue stage? I just don't care anymore about pretty much anything Marvel related. The new Deadpool 3 movie with Wolverine is about it.

I've always liked the TV shows better than movies...although I've been avoiding She Hulk AAL

#5472 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I was thinking the same thing. Because I watched all the movies with my daughter we also watched the ten rings movie that wasn’t bad and the Eternals that was bad.

I’m just about there with SW also after The Last Jedi I’m kind of over it. I only watched one season of Mandolorian.

#5473 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I've been avoiding She Hulk AAL

I've heard mixed reviews but you have to admit it's a fantastic show title.

#5474 1 year ago

Marvel has jumped the shark IMO. This phase has been a complete disappointment. They set the bar so damn high with the Infinity War climax that it's impossible to even come close anymore. The big stars are moving on & the replacement characters/stories just keep getting worse. The new projects all seem to be driven by writers/creators with agendas. The overall quality & viewership is dropping with each new release, both with movies & TV.

You can't keep releasing crap & watch the audiences tune out. Marvel used to be must-see events. Can't miss the next movie. Can't wait for the next end-credits reveal. Those days are long over. I'm done going to the theater to watch. Black Window, Eternals, Shang-Chi all were lousy forgettable movies. Thor Love & Thunder was the icing on the cake. What a complete train wreck of a film. I won't even mention the recent TV shows.

People keep holding out faith that thing will turn around when Fantastic Four & the X-Men are introduced. I'm not holding my breath.

#5475 1 year ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I've heard mixed reviews but you have to admit it's a fantastic show title.

I liked it better the first time it was Harvey Birdman

#5476 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Most underrated brilliant cartoon concept of all time. Hands down. I adored that show!

#5477 1 year ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Most underrated brilliant cartoon concept of all time. Hands down. I adored that show!

Yeah... Me too. IIRC, I wrote about it here a while back. That and Mike Tyson Mysteries. Norm McDonald as pigeon.. Lol.

#5478 1 year ago

She Hulk has its tongue firmly planted in its cheek and it’s all the better for it. I’m enjoying it immensely.

Another surprise is Andor - totally different tone from the others, more European film than American block buster. I would rate it my second favorite after Mando.

They should stick to TV, both of them. Seems to work out better.

#5479 1 year ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

She Hulk has its tongue firmly planted in its cheek...

Everything Marvel does.

#5480 1 year ago

I'm completely the opposite on Infinity War vs the Disney+ shows. I didn't love any of the Avengers movies, as they seem so overcrowded with characters that there's hardly time for each Avenger to speak five lines of dialog. They're mostly spectacle, with little substance.

As far as marvel movies go, GotG 1&2, Thor:Ragnarok, and Black Panther are way more enjoyable. As for the tv shows, I've already watched and re-watched both Wandavision and Loki, they're both soooo good, and so much more interesting for the smaller casts where everyone *shock* actually has the space and screentime to have an actual character arc. Ms. Marvel was fun, but I didn't like it as much as I loved G.Willow Wilson's comic book version of Kamala Khan's introduction and origin story. I skipped Hawk/Winter Soldier and Hawkeye because I can summon no interest whatsoever for those characters. I haven't watched She Hulk yet, but Tatiana Maslany was absolutely amazing in Orphan Black, so I'm excited to see her in something new!

#5481 1 year ago
    Quoted from trecemaneras:

I skipped Hawk/Winter Soldier and Hawkeye because I can summon no interest whatsoever for those characters.

That's the best part of the shows; take the worst characters and make an awesome product. I literally ranked Bucky, Hawk, & Scarlett Witch the bottom 3 characters before their shows

#5482 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

That's the best part of the shows; take the worst characters and make an awesome product. I literally rank Bucky, Hawk, & Scarlett Witch the 3 worst characters before their shows

I'll probably give them a chance eventually, especially if my kids will watch them with me. If you're saying that those series do as much for those characters as Wandavision did for Wanda, wellll that's a convincing reason to give them a try.

#5483 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

She Hulk was practicing law long before Harvey Birdman (sample from 1994)
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

(Here's the entire issue... )
    https://www.zipcomic.com/the-sensational-she-hulk-issue-59

#5484 1 year ago
    Quoted from trecemaneras:

If you're saying that those series do as much for those characters as Wandavision did for Wanda, wellll that's a convincing reason to give them a try.

For me 100%.
    Bucky & Capt's weird love story is for me the worst part of the movies; like just fucking get over it dude. Hawk is just a completely lame character. That show ended up being really fucking cool.
    And Hawkeye? Jesus having to look at that guys bulldog face pains me but the the show was a blockbuster.
    That's why I'm not discounting She Hulk yet; I'll def give it a chance.

Quoted from girloveswaffles:

She Hulk was practicing law long before Harvey Birdman....

You guys! this is a name only situation.

#5485 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

...You guys! this is a name only situation.

Okay ...

#5487 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

You guys! this is a name only situation.

I'm familiar with Harvey Birdman. She-Hulk: Attorney at Law is still a fantastic title for the show.

#5488 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

What's your beef?

What's yours?

#5489 1 year ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I'm familiar with Harvey Birdman. She-Hulk: Attorney at Law is still a fantastic title for the show.

Oh, i don't disagree with that. But Harvey Birdman Attorney at law is funny too.

#5490 1 year ago

Oh nothing here, rolling eyes at me I thought you didn't like something I said.

3 weeks later
    #5491 1 year ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

The big stars are moving on & the replacement characters/stories just keep getting worse.

It’s the writing. The characters are shallow and the show runners seek controversies that aren’t there while antagonizing portions of the fan base with condescending and lame wink wink nod nod moments that take the audience out of the movie.

I’m actually enjoying foreign works much more now since they are not so preachy. Seven Deadly Sins was a great series.

#5492 1 year ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Thor Love & Thunder was the icing on the cake. What a complete train wreck of a film.

Just saw this. Expectations were low given all the bad reviews but I actually found it pretty enjoyable.

1 month later
    #5493 1 year ago

Just finished watching Andor season 1, it's solid....I think this has been the best show from Star Wars tv offerings. If you haven't watched it I highly recommend a look. I'm also half way into the Amazon's new Sci-Fi show The Peripheral, this too is very well written and acted, the story is from William Gibson's novel so it's a bit complicated to follow, but the payoff is worth it.

#5494 1 year ago

Andor was surprisingly not shitty, given he was the most uninteresting character of the most uninteresting star wars movie.

#5495 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

Andor was surprisingly not shitty, given he was the most uninteresting character of the most uninteresting star wars movie.

Yeah Andor himself was still the weakest part of the series; although not as bad as I thought he'd be.

2 weeks later
    #5496 1 year ago

New recommendation SAS: Rogue Heros on Epix. Steven Knight written show. Good stuff, no lazy fare.

1 month later
    #5497 1 year ago

So, kinda related...

I watched the first episode of Picard season 3. Because I apparently hate myself. I swore I wasn't going to watch it, after the chalky, dried dog shit that was the first 2 seasons. But, after reports of the show being handed over to a showrunner that actually likes star trek and glowing reviews from sources who's word I trust, I decided to try it.

And...i liked it. I'd actually go so far as to say it was good. And not just good by comparison to the previous seasons, but actually good good. I felt like I was watching real star trek again. Picard acted like the Picard from TNG, not some whimsical old man. The characters made real decisions based on common sense and logic, not just to blindly move the clunky plot along. Hell, they even got the music right.

I feel like I need a shower after saying this, but I actually want to watch more.

#5498 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jason43:

So, kinda related...
    I watched the first episode of Picard season 3. Because I apparently hate myself. I swore I wasn't going to watch it, after the chalky, dried dog shit that was the first 2 seasons. But, after reports of the show being handed over to a showrunner that actually likes star trek and glowing reviews from sources who's word I trust, I decided to try it.
    And...i liked it. I'd actually go so far as to say it was good. And not just good by comparison to the previous seasons, but actually good good. I felt like I was watching real star trek again. Picard acted like the Picard from TNG, not some whimsical old man. The characters made real decisions based on common sense and logic, not just to blindly move the clunky plot along. Hell, they even got the music right.

Oh shit its started?! Cant wait....they got me back in even after that DREADFULLLL season 2...a complete shit salad.
    Personally I liked season 1 but most of my friends didn't.

#5499 1 year ago

Hmm, season 2 was soooo bad though…

#5500 1 year ago

Very divided reviews; I'll still go check it out.

Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 9.01.11 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2023-02-17 at 9.01.11 AM (resized).png
    There are 6,239 posts in this topic. You are on page 110 of 125.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spoilers-star-wars-the-last-jedi-is-really-bad-spoilers/page/110?hl=mrm_4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.