Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,328 posts
  • 291 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 31 days ago by kvan99
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi was...”

• garbage, the worst of the main films 221 votes
      33%
    • decent, better than the prequels 245 votes
      36%
    • really good, on par with the originals 79 votes
      12%
    • great! one of the best 79 votes
      12%
    • who cares, star wars sucks 50 votes
      7%

(674 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

harrison-ford-58 (resized).jpg
    lego.jpg
    slaveboom.gif
    Slave_I (resized).png
    61087715 (resized).jpg
    SnyderWidescreen_example (resized).jpg
    BMMachineGun_5c917cfb82ee17.62058099 (resized).jpg
    batman-the-dark-knight-returns-signed-autograph-signature-limited-edition-le-frank-miller-hardback-graphic-novel-signed-and-numbered-1 (resized).jpg
    STBA-thevisiondirectorscut-Poster (resized).jpg
    2021.01.06-02.02-boundingintocomics-5ff51a38b42c6 (resized).jpeg
    2021.01.06-02.02-boundingintocomics-5ff51a3f14f6b (resized).jpeg
    6aw3vw8uep501 (resized).jpg
    1610886169325251765818638804867_150848256482162 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1610392014943 (resized).jpg
    a0b0babadd3a8ced (resized).jpg
    Dark_Forces_box_cover (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 5328 posts in this topic. You are on page 107 of 107.
    #5301 3 months ago

Disney who? Forget everything Disney...check this thing out:

#5303 3 months ago

Here we go with Loki

Director Kate Herron revealed that highlighting the God of Mischief's sexuality was one of her objectives when she got involved with the show.

"From the moment I joined @LokiOfficial it was very important to me, and my goal, to acknowledge Loki was bisexual," she wrote in a tweet. "It is a part of who he is and who I am too. I know this is a small step but I'm happy, and heart is so full, to say that this is now Canon in #mcu."

#5304 3 months ago
    Quoted from rai:

Here we go with Loki

Director Kate Herron revealed that highlighting the God of Mischief's sexuality was one of her objectives when she got involved with the show.
    "From the moment I joined @LokiOfficial it was very important to me, and my goal, to acknowledge Loki was bisexual," she wrote in a tweet. "It is a part of who he is and who I am too. I know this is a small step but I'm happy, and heart is so full, to say that this is now Canon in #mcu."

Lol...shit. it's so funny, comic book character's sexulaity.is a thing now?
    There must be a lot of powerful gay executives in Hollywood....I want to see one of these f%#kers say you know, there isn't enough Hispanics or Asians in Marvel...I'd like to explore that!! But lately it's all about LBGTQ.

#5305 3 months ago
    Quoted from rai:

Here we go with Loki

Honestly if you weren't really paying attention, you'd totally miss this Loki sexuality reference in Episode 3. They said it & moved past it pretty quick, then continued on with the story. Nobody is really paying attention, but the woke individuals at Marvel like to push these issues to get people's attention & make a point. They certainly have pushed these issues in the comics recently. Its only a matter of time before it becomes more common in the MCU.

Marvel can do what they like, I really don't care. But they certainly are at risk of killing the golden goose, because the minute say....Doctor Strange makes out with Star Lord, they risk losing a large section of their worldwide audience. Same with the race or gender swapping of iconic characters, because this tactic never satisfies anyone. Same with pushing sexuality like having Batman go down on Catwoman.

They took characters that were historically directed towards kids for decades, starting pushing adult themes in the 80s, and now push them further & further into adult situations. I'm not complaining, but that's just the way things are. The next few years will be interesting for sure. I'm very curious how the public will react to all of it.

#5306 3 months ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

I want to see one of these f%#kers say you know, there isn't enough Hispanics or Asians in Marvel...I'd like to explore that!!

They did say it. And Shang Chi comes out September 3rd. I'm looking forward to it actually. Something different from Marvel. But I'm still betting it will flop in China, no matter how hard they try.

https://screenrant.com/shang-chi-movie-cast-asian-actors/

#5307 3 months ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Honestly if you weren't really paying attention, you'd totally miss this Loki sexuality reference in Episode 3. They said it & moved past it pretty quick, then continued on with the story. Nobody is really paying attention, but the woke individuals at Marvel like to push these issues to get people's attention & make a point. They certainly have pushed these issues in the comics recently. Its only a matter of time before it becomes more common in the MCU.
    Marvel can do what they like, I really don't care. But they certainly are at risk of killing the golden goose, because the minute say....Doctor Strange makes out with Star Lord, they risk losing a large section of their worldwide audience. Same with the race or gender swapping of iconic characters, because this tactic never satisfies anyone. Same with pushing sexuality like having Batman go down on Catwoman.
    They took characters that were historically directed towards kids for decades, starting pushing adult themes in the 80s, and now push them further & further into adult situations. I'm not complaining, but that's just the way things are. The next few years will be interesting for sure. I'm very curious how the public will react to all of it.

Yes, agreed, maybe the good guys should just come back to the light a little...things are getting too dark. Have you noticed how much violence there is on tv or movies now? Maybe it’s the shear amount of content but every freaking big show or movie is about fighting, shooting or killing someone or something. So much of this country’s bandwidth is filled with violence it’s beginning to disturb me. I’m sure this has a long term effect on kids, I just read an article about the original Superman movie and the actor was saying that Superman didn’t kill anyone in those days he would just put them in jail, because that was the American way of justice then.

#5308 3 months ago

Another perfect example is the Ancient One in Doctor Strange.

Kevin Feige was worried about playing into racial stereotypes if he cast an old Asian Male as the master. He thought he was being progressive by gender swapping the character & casting Tilda Swinton. Instead he got accused of whitewashing the character, and he is STILL apologizing for it 5 years later. Damned if you do.....

https://deadline.com/2021/05/doctor-strange-tilda-swinton-the-ancient-one-whitewashing-kevin-feige-marvel-studios-1234761666/

That's why I find Quinton Tarantino so refreshing when it comes to this type of criticism. You have a problem with my film? That's fine..... now F off.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/quentin-tarantino-and-bill-maher-whine-about-how-movies-are-too-pc

#5309 3 months ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Kevin Feige was worried about playing into racial stereotypes if he cast an old Asian Male as the master.

I think that has more to do with not pissing China off than anything.

1 month later
    #5310 68 days ago

Anything "new" worth talking about??

Thx

#5311 68 days ago

The first episode of What If on Disney+ was really enjoyable. The layouts & shots are well produced & the mix of 2D/3D animation is really outstanding. What If was always fun to read as a kid & I'm sure they have some good stories planned for the show.

The Book of Boba Fett has wrapped shooting from what I understand. Still set to premier this Christmas.

Shang Chi premiers at theaters Labor Day weekend. Appears to be causing controversy for multiple reasons. It's not premiering same day on Disney+, so if you want to see it, you'll have to go to a theater the first 45 days of release. And another big test to see how it performs in China. Box office takes have been disappointing all around this year, so if fails to meet expectations, there will be plenty of excuses thrown out there. COVID fears, D-List character, or they'll unfairly blame the all-Asian cast not connecting with public. That lead actor has gotten in hot water for his comments before. He seems to have Bri Larson disease and acts like he's the world's first Asian action star to get big release in America. Bruce Lee anyone? Jackie Chan? Chow Yun Fat? It seems some just want to prioritize "making history" these days instead of making a good stories with good characters. We'll see though.

I'm looking forward to it. I'll probably just wait to see it on Disney+ though. It's just to tempting an option to stay home & watch it streaming, especially after seeing Suicide Squad on HBOmax.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/simu-liu-shang-chi-disney-release-plan-1235041765/

#5312 68 days ago

Will Shang Chi be "free" on Disney+ after 45 days? Or are they doing the PPV $20/$30 thing still?

#5313 68 days ago

Judging by the way they did black widow, you're paying 30 bucks.

#5314 68 days ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Will Shang Chi be "free" on Disney+ after 45 days? Or are they doing the PPV $20/$30 thing still?

After 45 days in theater, then it will be $30 for premier Access on Disney+. Then based on their previous release plans for Mulan & Cruella, if you are patient enough to wait another 90 days after that, you can stream it as part of your normal Disney+ subscription.

I still haven't seen Black Widow, which by most accounts pretty lousy as expected. I'm not paying extra to see that. It's free on Disney+ October 6th.

#5315 68 days ago

It will be really interesting to see how audiences react to the Shang Chi release plan. Disney is adamant that the box office for Black Widow was below expectations due to simultaneous same-day release in theaters/streaming.

If Shang Chi under performs with exclusive 45 day theater window, then the excuses will start rolling. Take your pick.

But other studios are watching closely. If the 2nd Marvel movie bombs this year, studios might start pushing their blockbusters (Bond, Ghostbusters, Top Gun, etc etc) back once again into 2022 to avoid the delta variant issues. Who knows at this point.

#5316 68 days ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

It will be really interesting to see how audiences react to the Shang Chi release plan. Disney is adamant that the box office for Black Widow was below expectations due to simultaneous same-day release in theaters/streaming.
    If Shang Chi under performs with exclusive 45 day theater window, then the excuses will start rolling. Take your pick.
    But other studios are watching closely. If the 2nd Marvel movie bombs this year, studios might start pushing their blockbusters (Bond, Ghostbusters, Top Gun, etc etc) back once again into 2022 to avoid the delta variant issues. Who knows at this point.

1) BW was destined to fail, no one cares about a story about a character who is already dead in canon.

2) Shang Chi is going to fail too for different reasons. It is being released into theaters as "a test" and then Bob the accountant who is running Disney is going to be tossing some more people out the door.

China has no interest in the movie and Bob is already trying to pivot Disney away from the Chinese market, which has started a fight with Iger who invested heavy in China. One of the reasons Disney is being sued by Scarlett is Iger, trying to make Bob look bad with the investors and get canned.

Iger is on the outs with the investors, they are tired of him blowing billions.

#5317 68 days ago

I totally agree with you. Black Window was the most uninteresting character in the MCU (next to Hawkeye). She has no superpowers & was just trained to spy & fight really well. She went toe-to-toe fighting space gods, jumping out of airplanes without parachutes, and various incredible feats defying explanation. Yes these are movies about superheroes, but you at least have to follow the rules of your own sandbox.

Yeah I'm looking forward to seeing Disney execs explain why Shang Chi failed in the Chinese market, when they made an extreme point to make the entire production/cast/writers all of Asian decent. Ultimately this stuff really doesn't matter. Chinese markets love the Hong Kong film industry, and Hollywood will always be strange, unfamiliar, and subpar to them no matter how hard they try.

#5318 68 days ago

I really enjoyed watching The Bad Batch series this year and I’m super excited about Disney deciding to continue for another season. I’m liking the characters, stories, tie-ins and the animation is top notch and is getting better and better with every episode.

#5319 68 days ago

Also, the second episode of Marvel’s What If was really good and I liked it better than the first episode. Again, top notch animation including the main character actors returning to provide their respective voices to the characters including Boswick’s Black Panther (RIP). They left a tribute to him at the end of the 2nd episode.

1 month later
    #5320 37 days ago

Well shit...I must say I didn't think she would survive this round with Iger gone.

https://www.small-screen.co.uk/disney-to-extend-kathleen-kennedys-lucasfilm-contract/

#5321 37 days ago

Wait.. KK is still

Quoted from kvan99:

Well shit...I must say I didn't think she would survive this round with Iger gone.
    https://www.small-screen.co.uk/disney-to-extend-kathleen-kennedys-lucasfilm-contract/

so let she ruin Indiana Jones also ..

#5322 34 days ago
    Quoted from master_of_chaos:

Wait.. KK is still

so let she ruin Indiana Jones also ..

It was ruined when it was announced, no one wants to see geriatric married Indy.

1) KK was promised Indy so she could leave Lucasfilm "on a high note"

2) Production got dragged out past her contract date.

3) Word is she was offered a contract extension by CEO "Bob the Accountant" if she helps him in his battle with Bob Iger. KK been around a long time in Hollywood and knows a lot of dirty secrets so this is entirely plausible and allows her to finish Indy and gives Bob the Accountant a possible ally.

BTW the Indy franchise is said to be handed off to a female character, Phoebe Waller-Bridge.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9981093/Phoebe-Waller-Bridge-REPLACE-Harrison-Ford-Indiana-Jones.html

#5324 34 days ago

Disney execs know that Kennedy & Abrams severely damaged (and almost destroyed) the Star Wars franchise. But in the end they still made billions, and Filoni/Favereu won the fans back & ultimately saved the franchise. The money is still rolling in, so why take a risk fucking things up again?

Sounds like everyone at Lucasfilm has come to an agreement. Filoni/Favereu have earned the right to create & produce their own content without interference from Kennedy. They just want to do what they love, which is simply creating amazing stories & content for the fans. They don't want the headaches of running a studio either.

Meanwhile Kennedy gets to be the face of the studio & focus on her pet projects. She will never change her overall driving philosophy of woman empowerment over storytelling. She'll work on her own new female-centric SW stories, like Rogue Squadron, The Acolyte & High Republic publishing. The question will be if fans embrace Kennedy's projects after she ruined Ep 7-9 with a similar agenda. But first she has to put that final nail in the Indiana Jones franchise. Gender swapping that role sounds like box office poison.

I'm all in on Filoni/Favereu & their close knit group of directors like Deborah Chow.......Mando, Book of Boba, Ashoka, Obiwan, the animated cartoons.... they clearly get it. Kennedy never will.

I doubt we even see another Star Wars movie until Kennedy retires.

#5325 34 days ago

It's just so hard to nail beloved nostalgia for these franchises, especially in today's agenda-filled divided world, where the pressure to make billions drives the entire process. Creativity is generally at an all-time low, and these studios just keep running back to the nostalgia well to re-capture the magic with the public.

And they usually take the easiest way possible to update a franchise with cheap gender/race/age swapping ideas, then thrown on top of really poor writing. It just comes off as lazy & it almost always results in public disappointment & box office failure.

HOWEVER..... I did recently watch the final Ghostbusters Afterlife trailer, and I must say I think they might have pulled off the rarest of feats.....a highly desired, long-awaited sequel to a popular beloved franchise of all-ages, which appears to be a reboot, but takes a well-written idea & turns it into a great story that embraces everything that made the original franchise so popular.

Watch this trailer. And then tell me the audience won't be totally invested in these new characters/story, seeing throwbacks & characters from the past, and then going completely apeshit when Ackroyd, Murray & Hudson show up in the finale to save the day again?!?! I get the chills just thinking about it. Looks like Reitman's son nailed it IMO. The movie that will finally get asses back into theaters.

#5326 34 days ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

HOWEVER..... I did recently watch the final Ghostbusters Afterlife trailer, and I must say I think they might have pulled off the rarest of feats.....a highly desired, long-awaited sequel to a popular beloved franchise of all-ages, which appears to be a reboot, but takes a well-written idea & turns it into a great story that embraces everything that made the original franchise so popular.

The tone of the GB trailer is just so pitch perfect its chilling.

#5327 34 days ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

The tone of the GB trailer is just so pitch perfect its chilling.

What's cool is that the audience knows more than the new characters. These young kids have no idea what they've stumbled onto....Grandpa Egon's old equipment, the old buried containment unit, the rusted-out Ecto-1, etc etc.

So the audience will be thrilled to re-connect with their nostalgia, while at the same time the new characters are just discovering it. That's brilliant writing.

It's going to be fricking awesome.

#5328 31 days ago

Foundation is streaming....it looks gorgeous. It's set a high bar. The main girl is really good...the whole cast is just perfect for their roles.

There are 5328 posts in this topic. You are on page 107 of 107.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside