Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,239 posts
  • 311 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 hours ago by PanzerFreak
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi was...”

• garbage, the worst of the main films 243 votes
      34%
    • decent, better than the prequels 251 votes
      35%
    • really good, on par with the originals 80 votes
      11%
    • great! one of the best 80 votes
      11%
    • who cares, star wars sucks 55 votes
      8%

(709 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

scioli (resized).jpg
    ss1-trapped (resized).jpg
    fantastic_four_1961_48_3 (resized).jpg
    d0c0aa785c9ed124 (resized).jpeg
    b881ebbaf721aff4 (resized).jpeg
    1 (56) (resized).JPG
    the-acolyte-databank-feature-article-feature_536e2878 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1dd86362581cee58daeaeaef82eb6037 (resized).jpg
    the-acolyte-teaser-poster_506fd466 (resized).jpeg
    1 (resized).jpg
    2 (resized).jpg
    3 (resized).jpg
    6aw3vw8uep501 (resized).jpg
    GGtWnNMWMAAWx0I (resized).png
    nickcole1 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,239 posts in this topic. You are on page 103 of 125.
    #5101 3 years ago

Did Linda Carter literally wink at the camera?

#5102 3 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

WW1984 = Crash and Burn

Understatement of the year. Getting absolutely destroyed in reviews & on social media. But more importantly, getting a very strong dislike by women viewers as well. Once again, DC drops the ball & ruins another slam dunk property.

I really wish it would have gotten a regular non-covid box office release, because it might have been one of the largest big-budget bombs in history. The streaming release hides what a failure the movie truly would have been. I also heard WB had to pay the director & actors like this film grossed over $1B, just to get them to agree to a streaming release. If that's WB's business model for the rest of their controversial 2021 streaming plan, then they are taking a big financial risk.

There were so many problems with WW84, but the one that jumped out clearly was that practically ever guy in the movie (except her Ken doll boyfriend) was depicted as jerks, womanizers, bozos, pigs, liars, creeps, rapists, etc etc etc. Just ridiculous. I was also laughing that the mall arcade in ths beginning of the movie featured a cab of Operation Wolf which came out in 1987, even though this movie takes place in 1984......a troubling zero-attention-to-detail sign of things to come. I'd say the opening of the movie had potential, and set the stage for a "cheaters never win" story line, then shifted into some never follow your dreams/wishes cluster-F. All the movie was missing was a CGI Richard Pryor building an evil supercomputer.

With the pushed agendas in WW, I clearly see why Kathleen Kennedy hired WW director Patti Jenkins to direct the next Star Wars theatrical release Rogue Squadron. Now my expectations for that project have dropped to absolute zero. Guessing all the women will be cast as Rebel pilots & the males will be cast as Gammorean guards.

#5103 3 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

There were so many problems with WW84, but the one that jumped out clearly was that practically ever guy in the movie (except her Ken doll boyfriend) was depicted as jerks, womanizers, bozos, pigs, liars, creeps, rapists, etc etc etc. Just ridiculous. I was also laughing that the mall arcade in ths beginning of the movie featured a cab of Operation Wolf which came out in 1987, even though this movie takes place in 1984......a troubling zero-attention-to-detail sign of things to come. I'd say the opening of the movie had potential, and set the stage for a "cheaters never win" story line, then shifted into some never follow your dreams/wishes cluster-F. All the movie was missing was a CGI Richard Pryor building an evil supercomputer.

Ha, yeah....the part where she does the speech about truth or honesty or whatever the fuck it was...my mouth was agape not believing the level of writing, it was like a 13 yr old had written in a social studies class. Haha, I also read an article about how Jenkins had demanded more money than it was offered and threatened to walkaway from the sequel....Lmao. WB should hire a lawyer and claw back that pay from her. My God, it was awful and now I know Gal Gadot can't act worth a shit.

PS: The cinematography was A+....also the set design and wardrobe should get a shout out, but what a waste.

#5104 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

It was a very lackluster movie that needed an editor to cut 30 to 45 minutes out.

Sorry no amount of editing can save this....the crux of the problem was the script, it was the worst effort I've seen in a long, long time...and this super hero bullshit is mostly garbage to begin with. If you're going to make WW 1984 they should've done some homework, what was going on in the world then? The collapse of the Soviet Union, the Reagan years, the ME Generation....the Yuppies, the leverage buy out and the masters of the universe types (which I imagine Pedro's character was supposed to have channeled). Easy story would have been the collapse of the Soviet Block which would lead to Russian Olgarchs and maybe some nukes ending up on the black market etc.....or even you could've made it a small story, Diana growing up had a rival, a bully. Someone who also made off the island and comes after her...(think Zod in Superman), you could've made a twist by having her aiding the Russians against the U.S....blah, blah...you know what I mean. Instead of a fucking stone that grants wishes....WTF!

#5105 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Patty Jenkins was the director, though Zack was a producer.
    I was thinking of it this morning, story was a terrible mash. If someone could do a fan edit it would only improve.

I think she’s the one who is going to direct the new SW Rogue Squadron movie. Hope she doesn’t ruin it!

#5106 3 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

WW1984 = Crash and Burn

Haven't seen it - what's the connection to SW?

#5107 3 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Haven't seen it - what's the connection to SW?

Did you read any of the last eight or so posts? Lol. DC was dead when nolan said no to building their universe. All they had was synder at that point and his movies are hit or miss.

Maybe in an alternate time line, star wars and DC movies don't suck.

#5108 3 years ago

I was wondering why WW84 was still showing such a high score on Rotten Tomato as I was browsing through the reviews, the majority of them were 1 star yet the score showed 73%? Then I noticed why, they only show the so called verified users score on the page....The audience score shows 73% but that's verified accounts, if you switch over to all reviewers it drops to 41%....big freaking difference! I know it's a sound policy to have people verify their emails but if they want give validity to verified users then make everyone verify their email from the get-go and be done with it....I think it's a bit dishonest.

#5109 3 years ago

I finally sat down and watched WW84 and what a disaster. Remember, this is coming from a HUGE superhero/comic fan and I buy all of the superhero films on blu Ray. However, this is one I think I’m going to pass on (along with Birds of Prey and Ghost Rider).

The story was okay, but it seemed to drag on. The action scenes were mediocre and just boring to watch and the CGI was horrendous IMO, especially the truck chase scene where WW saves (2) children from being run over by one of the chase vehicles. I mean BAD!! Twice in the film it showed WW flying (or floating) in the sky and it seemed like the scenes could have been cut down quite a bit. I just didn’t care for the movie. I liked WW and the Justice League movie, so I’m not hating on the movie because of the character or because it’s a DC movie.

I hope the director of this film learns from her mistakes and doesn’t screw up SW Rogue Squadron, but I’m keeping my hopes on high.

1 week later
    #5110 3 years ago

FB_IMG_1610392014943 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1610392014943 (resized).jpg

#5111 3 years ago

https://www.piratesandprincesses.net/behind-the-doors-of-kathleen-kennedys-lucasfilm/

Confirms a few things I pointed out a few months ago from different people.

#5112 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

https://www.piratesandprincesses.net/behind-the-doors-of-kathleen-kennedys-lucasfilm/
    Confirms a few things I pointed out a few months ago from different people.

Confirms? Seems like it’s someone summarizing some other articles (presumably the ones you were reading months ago?), but not any original reporting.

#5113 3 years ago

Karen is gone for sure at the end of this year.....I'm still waiting on that Rian Johnson's Trilogy...

#5114 3 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Karen is gone for sure at the end of this year.....I'm still waiting on that Rian Johnson's Trilogy...

KK been shunted aside as a better choice than firing and the fallout that goes with it.

Johnson? Quietly under the bus.

With the success of the Mandalorian which even reinvigorated toy sales, Disney is going with Jon Favreau & Dave Filoni to repair the damage.

In a moment of weakness, Momma got a baby Yoda for Christmas.

The wailing over the last episode of Mandalorian, act three has been epic.

Krazy Z and the grrrrrrrrrrrrrl power crew lost their minds over the appearance of Luke Skywalker.

#5115 3 years ago

You’ll notice in that behind the scenes show they did, KK was always there but had little to say.

#5116 3 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

You’ll notice in that behind the scenes show they did, KK was always there but had little to say.

Actual picture on writers room wall. Madness to take the well loved hero of trilogy and crap all over him.

People should have been fired on the spot. 4 billion dollar acquisition treated like a fan fiction blog.

1610886169325251765818638804867_150848256482162 (resized).jpg1610886169325251765818638804867_150848256482162 (resized).jpg
    #5117 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Actual picture on writers room wall. Madness to take the well loved hero of trilogy and crap all over him.
    People should have been fired on the spot. 4 billion dollar acquisition treated like a fan fiction blog.
    [quoted image]

I saw that as well, but I chose not believe it. I'd be shocked if that pictue was actually on the wall of the cubicle. It would show the whole male toxicity slant was not accidental but an aim from the get-go.

#5118 3 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

I saw that as well, but I chose not believe it. I'd be shocked if that pictue was actually on the wall of the cubicle. It would show the whole male toxicity slant was not accidental but an aim from the get-go.

Ahem. They literally were advertising it.

6aw3vw8uep501 (resized).jpg6aw3vw8uep501 (resized).jpg
    #5119 3 years ago

I know but I didn't take that as "we hate Luke" or the old SW...that's going a little too far in my opinion. I originally took it as general feminism banner waving. I guess there is extrimism on both sides not just on the right.

#5120 3 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

I know but I didn't take that as "we hate Luke" or the old SW...that's going a little too far in my opinion. I originally took it as general feminism banner waving. I guess there is extrimism on both sides not just on the right.

Imagine the backlash if a bunch of guys were wearing "The Force is Male" shirts.

#5121 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Imagine the backlash if a bunch of guys were wearing "The Force is Male" shirts.

Sure, but what would have been the point of that? It’d be like wearing an “All the Doctors and Lawyers are Men” shirt in 1950. The Force was self-evidently male until Ep VII landed.

#5122 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

KK been shunted aside as a better choice than firing and the fallout that goes with it.
    Johnson? Quietly under the bus.

There's a clear split at Lucasfilm. Thanks to Filloni/Faverau's efforts, they've shifted their priorities. Now the focus is catering to nostalgia & the loyal old SW fans, while watching Disney+ subscriptions rise & seeing the merchandising profits return to normal SW levels.

It's also clear that KK mismanaged the SW licence & almost killed it. At least Disney execs have seen the errors of those decisions. But I really don't think KK is going anywhere. She's just been demoted to a certain degree. Because as bad & unpopular as Episode 7-9 are, they did create a large number of new younger woke fans. Disney is not stupid & doesn't want to throw this segment of the fan base to the curb either. So KK is focusing managing the woke projects at Lucasfilm now.

Hence the creation of "High Republic" era in publishing. All the woke writers favored by KK were just shifted to this project. Disney is trying to push it hard with new comics, novels & the upcoming Ackolyte TV show. I'll spare you the details, but it all looks horrific. A heavily agenda-driven project, much like Episodes 7-9. It should be promptly rejected the majority of old SW fans, and ignored by most of the general public.

But if this project (and KK) does somehow manage to survive the next few years, I would expect this period to be Rian Johnson's Trilogy. While we may say it's clearly obivious to dump KK & these woke people at Lucasfilm, Disney just looking at the money coming in & expanding the fan base. The publishing project is a "low risk-high reward" option. I just don't see it catching on at all with older fans.

#5123 3 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

But I really don't think KK is going anywhere. She's just been demoted to a certain degree.

Her contract was not going to be renewed, so they say but covid came along and blew up the plan.

Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I'll spare you the details, but it all looks horrific.

You sir are a master of understatement, horrific doesn't even cover it. Very bad fan fiction.

Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

While we may say it's clearly obivious to dump KK & these woke people at Lucasfilm, Disney just looking at the money coming in & expanding the fan base.

Marvel guys will continue making inroads and money, KK will continue to crash and burn.

Disney will make an easy choice, while hemorrhaging money and needing great content for the streaming services? Marvel guys are going to win.

KK has been kicked to the curb on the next Indy movie, even the guy who brought her up wants nothing to do with her.

Edit: added actual character illustrations.

2021.01.06-02.02-boundingintocomics-5ff51a38b42c6 (resized).jpeg2021.01.06-02.02-boundingintocomics-5ff51a38b42c6 (resized).jpeg2021.01.06-02.02-boundingintocomics-5ff51a3f14f6b (resized).jpeg2021.01.06-02.02-boundingintocomics-5ff51a3f14f6b (resized).jpeg
    #5124 3 years ago

I'm pretty sure those are concepts have been altered by someone, but you get the general idea.

The books & comics won't sell, there will be no toys & the TV show will get plenty of dislike, especially when they cast the Captain Marvel actress. They'll add younger Yoda to the series.... it worked for Baby Yoda right??

When you add a boring story as the foundation, with a bunch of characters nobody cares about, the project has little to stand on.

Bring on Boba Fett & Luke/Ashoka/Grogu shows I says

#5125 3 years ago

And speaking of bombs, has anyone caught the first couple episodes of Wandavison on Disney+? I'd say the first post-Avengers Era property is off to a rough start.

It might eventually turn into something interesting, but boy is it painful to watch so far. See how it goes I guess.

#5126 3 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

And speaking of bombs, has anyone caught the first couple episodes of Wandavison on Disney+? I'd say the first post-Avengers Era property is off to a rough start.
    It might eventually turn into something interesting, but boy is it painful to watch so far. See how it goes I guess.

I believe it is going to tie into Doctor Strange 2 mulitiverse of madness, so I am guessing Wanda is in some kind of alternate universe or something since it seems to be from her point of view. But I agree it is painful to watch! I read today that Kevin Feige even said there is no way WandaVision could make it as movie.

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/marvel-studios-kevin-feige-why-wandavision-isnt-mcu-movie-television-series/

#5127 3 years ago

I believe Wandavision is a result of her being so broken up about visions death, she unknowingly created an alternate reality of her own where he is still alive.

#5128 3 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I'm giving it three or four episodes.

#5129 3 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I couldn't watch it. I made it like 10 to 15 minutes, it's awful. And I've watched EVERYTHING marvel/star wars/star trek/etc and I've never turned anything off...till now. I just don't want to watch Leave it to Beaver with Marvel characters. When it was advertised like that, I was thinking no, they wouldn't do that, that would be terrible, there has to be some undertone...nope, that's what it is, and it's bad (for now).

#5130 3 years ago

This is a far more thrilling Disney+ announcement than any of those Marvel shows... Haven't seen these in AGES. Time to Light the Lights!

#5131 3 years ago

I just watched the trailer for Wandavision and I have to say it looks bold and creative. But I'll take you all's words for it...

#5132 3 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

I just watched the trailer for Wandavision and I have to say it looks bold and creative. But I'll take you all's words for it...

I wasn't too tempted by the trailer so haven't checked it out. But I'm assuming they're planning a massive twist at some point this season. It'd actually be way more surprising if they just carry on with the 50s sitcom thing. But probably not good for business.

#5133 3 years ago

Yeah, I doubt it's a 50's sitcom angle but it is a super hero show so I imagine it'll revert to the familiar soon enough but someone had balls of steel to kick it off with that BW tvland stuff.

#5134 3 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Yeah, I doubt it's a 50's sitcom angle but it is a super hero show so I imagine it'll revert to the familiar soon enough but someone had balls of steel to kick it off with that BW tvland stuff.

It does shift to color at end on 2nd episode.

I'm not giving away anything if you have watched trailer. I suspect the show moves into another "era" based on swap to color and the way people are dressed in trailer.

#5135 3 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I wasn't too tempted by the trailer so haven't checked it out. But I'm assuming they're planning a massive twist of some point somewhere this season. It'd actually be way more surprising if they just carry on with the 50s sitcom thing. But probably not good for business.

For those that don't know, Wandavison is based on this comic. It won an Eisner award, which is basically the yearly Academy awards for the comics industry. And Tom King is a very good writer. His Mister Miracle Series is a Top 5 comic for me.

But I never read the Vision comic. I figured I'd wait for the show. But I'm sure there's something good about to happen as it progresses, it's just a slow start to get there apparently.

I applaud Marvel for taking risks though. Goodies punching baddies gets stale after awhile.
    STBA-thevisiondirectorscut-Poster (resized).jpgSTBA-thevisiondirectorscut-Poster (resized).jpg

#5136 3 years ago

Forget girl power - Star Trek Discovery is on to non binary gender power now! Hollywood is so desperate to be Woke they've lost track of who any of their fans are. They no longer understand who they're entertaining.

Both boys and girls liked Luke......yes a higher proportion of boys did....but so what.

Hunger games appealed more to young girls.......great!

Why have a movie/tv show that tries to swim upstream of what it's fanbase is?.......cause then you have no fan base.

#5137 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hobbypinball:

Star Trek Discovery is on to non binary gender power now

I don't think that's the problem. Story is at the heart of the problem. When your story sucks it doesn't matter who your characters are.

#5138 3 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

For those that don't know, Wandavison is based on this comic. It won an Eisner award, which is basically the yearly Academy awards for the comics industry. And Tom King is a very good writer. His Mister Miracle Series is a Top 5 comic for me.

Cool, I’ll have to check that out (I dabble in comics these days but haven’t followed closely in decades). Of course the stakes are much higher on a tv show than a comic so it takes some balls to try something unusual. Whether or not it works, it’s cool that Disney was willing to give it a shot.

Now to put my money where my mouth is and actually watch it ...

#5139 3 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

just watched the trailer for Wandavision and I have to say it looks bold and creative. But I'll take you all's words for it

I like it so far. It's a nice change of pace and there's mystery baked into the episodes.

#5140 3 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

But I never read the Vision comic. I figured I'd wait for the show. But I'm sure there's something good about to happen as it progresses, it's just a slow start to get there apparently.
    I applaud Marvel for taking risks though. Goodies punching baddies gets stale after awhile.
    [quoted image]

Well that answers it... I thought someone wrote that episode for the show’s opening. I haven’t seen it yet but I’ll get to it. So many cool shows you literally have to be unemployed to catch half of them.

1 week later
    #5141 3 years ago

Anyone watching The Expanse?.....Wow! This is probably my favorite Sci Fi show after STTNG. The quality of the writing and production puts recent movies to shame.

#5142 3 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Anyone watching The Expanse?.....Wow! This is probably my favorite Sci Fi show after STTNG. The quality of the writing and production puts recent movies to shame.

Its been a very good series, last few episodes have felt like filler though.

Great book series for the most part too.

#5143 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Its been a very good series, last few episodes have felt like filler though

They are literally following the book. They all split up and they have separate stories. What you call filler is all the separate storylines.

#5144 3 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

They are literally following the book. They all split up and they have separate stories. What you call filler is all the separate storylines.

Watching Naomi spend a half hour to snip a wire is just bad pacing. It's just filler.

#5145 3 years ago

Speaking of excellent scifi shows, Babylon 5 is streaming in hbo max

#5146 3 years ago

Andor sneak peek....best of all no Patty Jenkins or other second stringers......Tony Gilroy is helming it.

Holy shit...I'm salvating like Pavlov's hounds

https://discussingfilm.net/2021/02/02/prisoners-of-the-ghostland-review-pure-cinema-fueled-by-nicolas-cage-sundance-2021/amp/

#5147 3 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Understatement of the year. Getting absolutely destroyed in reviews & on social media. But more importantly, getting a very strong dislike by women viewers as well. Once again, DC drops the ball & ruins another slam dunk property.
    I really wish it would have gotten a regular non-covid box office release, because it might have been one of the largest big-budget bombs in history. The streaming release hides what a failure the movie truly would have been. I also heard WB had to pay the director & actors like this film grossed over $1B, just to get them to agree to a streaming release. If that's WB's business model for the rest of their controversial 2021 streaming plan, then they are taking a big financial risk.
    With the pushed agendas in WW, I clearly see why Kathleen Kennedy hired WW director Patti Jenkins to direct the next Star Wars theatrical release Rogue Squadron. Now my expectations for that project have dropped to absolute zero. Guessing all the women will be cast as Rebel pilots & the males will be cast as Gammorean guards.

Finally saw this yesterday, and maybe my exceptions were really low from what you guys posted...but I didn't mind it at all. The movie actually had some emotional depth to it, which is very rare in these fantasy/comic book movies. If anything, WW84 kind of channeled the golden age character and there were a few "moves" lifted right out of Sensation Comics, that surprised the hell out of me. I didn't see much SJW shit at all, if any. Yes, the end was a bit muddy (reminded me of a typical Doctor Who ending), but all in all, I thought it was the best Snyder movie of them all.

#5148 3 years ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

I don't think that's the problem. Story is at the heart of the problem. When your story sucks it doesn't matter who your characters are.

But that is the problem. They introduce a non binary character just to make a statement. There was no actual story around the character at all. That was the point of the post.

#5150 3 years ago

Well she certainly went out with a bang. The post that took her down:

“Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors…even by children. Because history is edited, most people today don’t realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views”

There are 6,239 posts in this topic. You are on page 103 of 125.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spoilers-star-wars-the-last-jedi-is-really-bad-spoilers/page/103 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.