Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by kmoore88
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_3461.JPG
    #1 12 years ago

Anyway to splice this together or am I hosed? No luck Googling for a splice connector. Thanks.

DSC_3461.JPGDSC_3461.JPG

#2 12 years ago

When I first saw the picture, my instinct was to you say you're hosed. On further thought however, I think if were to take an exacto knife and carefully scraped off the insulation, you could use silver epoxy to carefully join each wire/trace/whatever you want to call it back together. I believe most auto stores sell this as part of their rear window defroster repair kits. If not, maybe Radio Shack or somewhere online.

It'd be tricky, but doable I think. No money back guarantee on this one though

I would think if you can get it all hooked together, that you'd also want to be sure to somehow reinforce the splice. Maybe a wrap of packing tape around the joint?

#3 12 years ago

What game is it from? No replacement cables available?

#4 12 years ago

It may be a noob idea from me, but can you just solder on a whole new ribbon?

#6 12 years ago

I second the recommendation of trying to exacto scrape the insulation off, but I'd use a couple short pieces of 30 AWG wire to complete the splice. The other option, depending on the clearance would be to completely replace the flex with a wire pigtail.

#7 12 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. The ribbon is very, very thin. I attempted to "scrap" the insulation off...no dice. I think the best bet is a splice connector with small spikes on it.

#8 12 years ago

I've made splices like this before....The insulation is coated onto the wire. Get out your butane lighter and melt the insulation off. Then you can solder the ends back together.

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

Get out your butane lighter and melt the insulation off. Then you can solder the ends back together.

Hmmm, I tried that, actually burns the "metal" strip as well.....but thanks for the post.

#10 12 years ago

Huh? Melting point of copper is 2000 deg F. Aluminum, 1200 deg F. It may be curling, but it isn't melting. Lots of times, the insulation is a clear shelack, so that may turn black, but I don't see how you're melting the wire. A bic lighter is around 1000 deg, so don't hold it directly in the blue flame part.

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

Melting point of copper is 2000 deg F. Aluminum, 1200 deg F. It may be curling, but it isn't melting. Lots of times, the insulation is a clear shelack, so that may turn black, but I don't see how you're melting the wire. A bic lighter is around 1000 deg, so don't hold it directly in the blue flame part.

I have to agree here. How could you melt it with a lighter?

#12 12 years ago

Perhaps it curled up instead, I'll give it another whirl.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/splice-a-flat-ribbon-cable and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.