canon23062018 002 (resized).JPG
canon22062018 001 (resized).JPG
F3E8A714-4E26-4C1A-A982-3282099F99D4 (resized).jpeg
A9BCBF44-4C33-44E5-BB12-2BEB978B3BFA (resized).jpeg
10ECC91D-93B5-4945-8BB0-77883FC3F914 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2280 (resized).jpg
IMG_2279 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

I've read all the posts and it sounds like it should be easy to but I seem to be having issues. I'm painting a Williams Suspense and have started with the head. The base color was done with rattle-can Rust-Oleum Painters Touch satin. Looks good so far now I need to do the spatter. Though the whole cabinet is faded I'm guessing the spatter is grey which seems to limit the what's available at local hardware stores (since all the posts I've read seem to use black which has lots of options). I decided against the spray can with the nozzle removed because I had several spurts during testing that would ruin the pattern. I'm trying Rust-Oleum Painters Touch Metallic Silver and a wire brush. The paint has the consistency of water which makes it extremely messy and some of the splatters make a raised splatter. How do you flatten the spatters? Is the water-like consistency making this harder than it should be? Or am I having the same problems as everyone else.
IMG_2279 (resized).jpgIMG_2280 (resized).jpg

#2 1 year ago

I used gold on my EK. Here’s a pic before the stencil went on. The paint was thin and I used a tooth brush. Anything slightly heavy seemed to flatten out. Just take your time and don’t get to much paint on the brush. Tap the brush on the can to remove excess paint on the brush. It actually doesn’t take very long to do. I hope this helps.

10ECC91D-93B5-4945-8BB0-77883FC3F914 (resized).jpeg
#3 1 year ago

Nm different technique

#4 1 year ago

Eagle18 - excess paint on the brush isn't a problem. The paint is so watery there's barely any to flick off by the time I try to spatter it. Was wondering if it was too watery.

Phat_Jay - awesome idea. never thought of that.

Thanks!

#5 1 year ago

I’ve used two methods.

There is a nozzle you can buy that will give a spatter pattern. It’s a little tricky to get right, be sure to practice a lot before you try it on the machine.

I’ve also used the wire brush technique. It does give a thicker dot and the dots do tend to be more raised than the spray nozzle technique.

Here’s two examples I’ve done:

Spray nozzle:
A9BCBF44-4C33-44E5-BB12-2BEB978B3BFA (resized).jpeg

Wire brush:
F3E8A714-4E26-4C1A-A982-3282099F99D4 (resized).jpeg

#6 1 year ago

I have found a spatter brush with adjustable intensity is a good piece of equipment using auto lacquer at the same consistence as spraying a cab.

canon22062018 001 (resized).JPG

canon23062018 002 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#8 1 year ago

Heres how I solved my problem. Cut the bristles from an old broom in the garage.

IMG_2354 (resized).jpg
#9 1 year ago
Quoted from ekm92:

Heres how I solved my problem. Cut the bristles from an old broom in the garage.[quoted image]

OK, tell us more.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinball_Gizzard:

I’ve used two methods.
There is a nozzle you can buy that will give a spatter pattern. It’s a little tricky to get right, be sure to practice a lot before you try it on the machine.
I’ve also used the wire brush technique. It does give a thicker dot and the dots do tend to be more raised than the spray nozzle technique.
Here’s two examples I’ve done:
Spray nozzle:
[quoted image]
Wire brush:
[quoted image]

That looks good.

#11 1 year ago

Ok, here's my last update. I tried the spatter using the bristles from a broom and metallic enamel paint. The spots didn't lay down and it felt like the pin had a skin disease. I sanded it down and went with the gray spray can spatter using little pressure on the nozzle. Spots laid flat and looks much better. This was my first spatter paint project. Now I know.

IMG_2355 (resized).jpgIMG_2358 (resized).jpg
#12 1 year ago

I recently made my first attempt at spatter on a dartboard cabinet. Used black rustoleum spray paint and just sprayed some right into the cap. Then I took an old toothbrush, dipped it in the paint, and ran my (gloved) thumb through the bristles. The spatter laid very flat with no bumps and I think it turned out pretty decent-good enough for my basement at least.

13ADD9BD-22DE-419B-BA71-81033FC35C78 (resized).jpeg4504A83D-BE32-43B4-A2A8-BA239075F959 (resized).jpeg773B9C78-E3DD-425F-8AC0-3C4332297F19 (resized).jpegB786AC10-38C1-4E49-81CC-C704C4D6120D (resized).jpeg
#13 1 year ago
Quoted from jasonspoint28:

I recently made my first attempt at spatter on a dartboard cabinet. Used black rustoleum spray paint and just sprayed some right into the cap. Then I took an old toothbrush, dipped it in the paint, and ran my (gloved) thumb through the bristles. The spatter laid very flat with no bumps and I think it turned out pretty decent-good enough for my basement at least.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That looks great, but I'm confused.
It's a dartboard cabinet? Why does it have a "Fast Draw" backglass then?

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

That looks great, but I'm confused.
It's a dartboard cabinet? Why does it have a "Fast Draw" backglass then?

Thanks, I wanted it to match the pinball machines, so I picked a game I thought had a good theme for darts and printed a vinyl “backglass”. I hope I didn’t violate any copyright laws, I'm not up on that sort of stuff.

#15 1 year ago

" dartboard cabinet ".

What a great idea... using an old pinball cabinet to house a dartboard! Bravo!

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from Sheprd:

What a great idea... using an old pinball cabinet to house a dartboard! Bravo!

Thanks, I don’t want to hijack this spatter thread, just wanted to share my results with spray paint and a toothbrush. I’ll start a new post for the dartboard after work. Oh, and the cabinet is from the dartboard, not a pinball machine.

#17 1 year ago

I use a $9 Harbor Freight HVLP gun, turn down the air and tweak it on some cardboard before spraying.
Super easy, very controllable.

#18 1 year ago

Whatever method you use to create your spatter, you could have a case where you get a spatter that is too big. TOP TIP: DON'T be tempted to blot up the error while leaving the dots around it untouched. It will smear, and you will have a mess. Instead, let it dry completely. Once dry, you can scrape the error off with a razor blade without any smearing. You may leave a small bit of residue, but that will blend in with the smaller dots of spatter.

#19 1 year ago

I hope I didn’t violate any copyright laws, I'm not up on that sort of stuff.

No issue as long as you don't make several and start selling them.

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from ekm92:

Ok, here's my last update. I tried the spatter using the bristles from a broom and metallic enamel paint. The spots didn't lay down and it felt like the pin had a skin disease. I sanded it down and went with the gray spray can spatter using little pressure on the nozzle. Spots laid flat and looks much better. This was my first spatter paint project. Now I know.[quoted image][quoted image]

The cabinet looks good ekm! Looks like you had good luck with the light pressure method. I was afraid to try it for fear of accidentally pushing too hard and spraying the whole side black.

That Suspense looks like a fun and unique game with the way the flippers and roulette wheel are set up. Hope you get it playing again soon.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside