(Topic ID: 99358)

Spitballing - Retheme idea - Acela/Amtrak?

By Richthofen

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by lladnip
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

So like a lot of totally hopeless nerds, I am kind of mildly obsessed with trains. I always thought that it would make a good theme, the ball could represent a train and you could visit different Amtrak or Acela stations/destinations as modes. You could collect passengers. Like 'warp' progression in Star Trek, maybe ramp up to the Acela's max speed of 140 mph?

My retheme idea would center around a unique take on the DMD, replacing it with a Flipdots display
    http://www.flipdots.com/custom-made-flip-dot-wall.html#projects
    The flipdots are similar to what you see at train stations; the displays that announce arriving/departing trains. They make a satisfying 'click' when they refresh. I'm not sure what pin platforms are out there, haven't done research, but I'd prefer to do something high-level with a standard PC. I'd like to program the whole thing in C#/.NET if possible as its the language I am most versed in.

Spitballing on features/toys: Perhaps a z-scale or n-scale train that runs in the game/backbox? Diverters would be a cool feature like track switches.

Obviously, I am pretty far away from taking on a project like this, mostly because I am knee deep in my Taxi restore, but also because I lack a lot of the skills that would be important to a project like this. (I do not really have woodworking skills or graphic design skills) But maybe this winter or next year, who knows. So what does Pinside think? Cool idea? Totally lame?

#3 9 years ago

If you want to do trains, do classic older train lines. Amtrak is just a big bloated tax dollar sinkhole. It's like making a pinball about the US postal service.

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

If you want to do trains, do classic older train lines. Amtrak is just a big bloated tax dollar sinkhole. It's like making a pinball about the US postal service.

If you live in the Northeast and have taken Amtrak, you might feel differently. I can go from Boston to New York in 3 1/2 hours, while having a beer, getting work done on my laptop, etc. There are lots of model railroaders, railfans in general that would disagree.

Besides, it wouldn't be a tax dollar sinkhole if the government hadn't spent billions of dollars building highways that basically put the railroads out of business. Imagine the major infrastructure to power your business (roads) was built basically for free as a public works project to put GIs to work after the war. Not like the railroads got their right-of-ways built for free. Trucks won because of politics.

#5 9 years ago

Do the Shinkansen. Then you can go all anime and wacky Japanese stuff!

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

If you want to do trains, do classic older train lines.

This. While I think a train theme is great, there's nothing "romantic" or evocative (at least positively) about Amtrak. I'd look at something like the Orient Express or the U.S. "old west" steam-powered trains. The NYC Subway might even be a good train theme.

#7 9 years ago

if your into the train thing get a eurorailpass-
    about amtrak, no comment

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spitballing-retheme-idea-acelaamtrak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.